Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Audio Questions

1235»

Comments

• marks2512marks2512 Member Posts: 4
    I have owned a new 09 Avalon LTD for just two weeks and today we went on a short trip. We were listening to cds on the excellent sound system. Two CDs that i know are ok (we listen to them in the other car and at home) skipped in a couple places.
    Anyone else had this problem? Should we take it back to the dealer?
  • chilin12chilin12 Member Posts: 9
    Same is happening to me on my '06 Avalon. Somebody suggested me to check the random function of the system if is in the "on" position but I haven't be able to find where to check. Let us know the results of your finding.
    Chilin 12
  • rscofieldrscofield Member Posts: 6
    We just got a new 09 Avalon XLS with Nav for my wife. It does have the Aux jack in one of the compartnents and I can play my IPOD using a charger. I would like to add a dedicated adapter that charges. I did this in my 03 Tundra and it works nicely. My question is - do I have to remove the head unit to connect the adapter to the Sat jack? Do not really want to start mucking around with her new car or I may get shot!
    Thks,
    Russ
  • gstern94gstern94 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

Can you tell me what if any text is displayed on the Avalon's info screen when using this device? Will you be able to see track or artist name? Thanks so much.
  • gstern94gstern94 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, can you give me an example of the text support you get? Artist/Podcast/Track etc.. are they visible in some fashion?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    The model I had installed offered no text support at all. The newer models may, as mine was installed in late 2006.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• aguerriniaguerrini Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Avalon equipped with the 3CD L4210 changer which is showing ERROR 1 and does not play neither commercial nor recorded at home CDs. I have noticed several owners have had similar problems with this unit, but no answers were found.
    I have already run the head cleaner to no avail.

2 questions:
    a) Is this a correctable problem, or there is a need to replace the whole audio system?
    b) Which manual describes the receiver/CD changer removal?

Thanks
    Alberto
    Way back in 2000 when I had my Solara with CD changer "error 1" caused the dealer to replace the unit. It was under warranty, however in your case with an 11 year old car I would start looking at aftermarket. Check out Crutchfield.com they show you all the options for your car and provide instructions and install kits.

• kjo2kjo2 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Avalon, screen shows as if it playing, but I get no sound out of any function. It will not load or eject any CD either. Changed the fuse. Anybody with any ideas? Anyone know where the wiring is from the radio to the speakers?
  • cwilliams56cwilliams56 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I also have a 2000 Avalon XLS, JBL 6 disc, in dash. I have 1 cd stuck in there and have tried everything I know to get it out....no luck. When I push the load button, it now tells me it's FULL and it almost sounds like it's off a "cog" or something when I try to make it change discs, both forward and backward. any suggestions???

and how the heck would I go about getting the CD player OUT of my dash???
  • xrulingxruling Member Posts: 4
    It worked fine for two years and then the FM became full of static, almost completely unusable. Toyota representatives can't/won't fix it and tell me that this is normal for this car! If they can't provide reliable or repair ancient FM radio technology, imagine how screwed-up other technology in this car may be.
  • tangymantangyman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 avalon with the jbl system. It seems when I am listening to fm some of the speakers cut out from time to time. This doesn't happen when I play my ipod through the cassette player. Any ideas?
  • martinb76martinb76 Member Posts: 1
    I own Toyota Avalon 05 XLS, decided to install xm radio... I bought a sirius SCCI tuner. it comes with some wires... I saw SAT button, i pulled out head unit (radio) and i couldnt find any antenna outlets ... just nothing... What should i begin with??? I need interface? Please Help... Appreciate that. Thanks! :)
  • krkammakrkamma Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Hey all, 1st time to this forum, great information in hear from all!! Maybe you can help me. Just got a 03' Avalon XLS, although the JBL system in it is decent (I have a fairly good knowledge of stock and aftermarket sound), I find that it is a little strong on the highs and the lows aren't strong enough to balance it out. I guess I have 2 questions.
    1. Am contemplating either buying an i-pod direct hookup -OR- a double din aftermarket. Will either of these improve the sound quality through the stock JBL set up?
    2. And possibly the more difficult question... I have seen the mounting bracket for the double din application, I can not find ANYWHERE if someone makes a wood grain look. I really like the wood grain look of the dash and would like to keep the flow clean. Or.. If someone could provide a picture of what the standard black looks like installed I would really appreciate a view.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/guidance you can provide.
  • uknow79uknow79 Member Posts: 3
    The random button is on the radio i think it is labeled "rand" or "ran" mine also does this and i have the random disc on also but i think mine was doing this even without the random on so anyone have any ideas are welcomed.
  • uknow79uknow79 Member Posts: 3
    So i want to install a jbl 6 cd changer into a non jbl 06 avalon. I have a few questions though. Is there any difference speaker wise besides 9 spk to 12 spk setup? Is the amp for the jbl just for the the 3 extra speakers?
  • scottyavalonscottyavalon Member Posts: 2
  • scottyavalonscottyavalon Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Toyota Avalon XLS with the integrated amplifier audio system. I was replacing my factory stereo with a new one and must have crossed wires or something because neither the old stereo or new one will turn on. I checked all fuses and none are blown. Is there a fuse that could be blown in the factory amplifier??
  • rjk7rjk7 Member Posts: 1
    Player won't load or eject. Says CD error when trying to play a cd.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    So is there a CD currently in the CD player? (Going by your "won't eject" comment.)

Is the CD you're trying to load or play one that you burned yourself?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You didn't mention what year Avalon you have, however, when I had my 06 the CD player did something similar. With the car OFF I pulled both fuses that pertained to the radio (see owner's manual) waited a few few minutes, put them back in and then started the car. All was fine after that.

Can also try holding down the eject button for a few seconds to see if that forces an eject.

• deany1deany1 Member Posts: 1
    Like everyone has discovered, the JBL woofer is far from a quality product.
    I sent mine to Simply Speakers in Florida. After installing my refreshed speaker.
    I discovered sometime between I removed speaker and re-installed someone has relieved me from my wiring harness to the Woofer. Plug was definitely there when I removed speaker as it was functioning just the "rattle that everyone experiences. My question does this harness run straight to the amp under the seat or does it have a break at some point prior to amp?
    Any ideas as to where I might purchase said part? And finally what type of connectors are used on each end? Any help is very much appreciated.
  • mlavallee1993mlavallee1993 Member Posts: 1
    There is a sorta hidden fuse in under the hood in the RELAY box, it should be a 20A fuse labeled "RAD". It has blown on me before during installation of a new head unit. Its a good idea to remove the negative battery terminal during installation of any electrical equipment in the vehicle to prevent matters as such to happen at all.
  • sunray3sunray3 Member Posts: 1
    I see this post is old but I found that I was able to reset my 2000 Avalon CD player buy disconnecting the battery for about an hour to let the capacitor discharge. After re connecting the battery my CD player was usable again. I had checked with a few Toyota dealerships here in sunny San Diego and none of them were willing to tell me about this simple fix. They all wanted to take my money for a new or used CD player. Car dealers have earned their bad reputation and should not be trusted.
  • shawn1368shawn1368 Member Posts: 2

You can go to Toyota official web site and they list both MP3 and bluetooth capabilities under their stereo specifications for various trim level. Here is the link:
    http://www.toyota.com/avalon/models.html

obadea said:

I was asking if anyone would know if the 2008 stereo would fit in the 2007... since the 08 supports MP3/WMA and bluetooth.

Did anyone try this? I have an 07 Avie Limited and would also like to try this! No answered this guy so I figured I should ask again Thanks