Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I use what the engine is tuned for. I believe you get maximum energy, efficiency and service out of your engine that way. And I loathe cheapskates who will buy a premium car or engine, and then chisel on the fuel costs. If I can't afford ( or am just too cheap) to buy premium fuel, I would get a car that was made to run on regular.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Unless it specifically says it is required in your owners’ manual, you don’t need it”

Premium gas not always needed (Detroit News)

Steve, Host
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    nvbanker, am right with you. My other car requires premium and that's what it gets. The interesting sidebar about proper octanes is that many of the newer rides have electronic shifting for smoothing out gear changes. the engine is slightly retarded at shift points to make the shift smooth so, imho, using the wrong octane for what it is tuned for will cause rougher shifts.

Thanks HOST for the article, was indeed timely!
    I agree completely. I'm only talking about cars that specifically require higher octane and are tuned for it.

Isn't it funny though, that so many people will buy a premium car that does need the higher grade, and chisel to save a couple of dimes at the pump - and then there are those who drive a Focus, and "give it a treat" with premium fuel, like that will help? Of course, if you drive a Focus, I guess it won't break you to buy the high-test once in a while.

Car and Driver tested this octane war theory a few months ago, or maybe years ago now, and found there are indeed some cars that the performance did improve or decline based on the octane rating that it ingested - and some that it made virtually no difference at all either way. I guess you can run your own tests - and go from there.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Here's a link I stumbled upon detailing the changes for '05:

http://www.fordaxz.com/pdf/2005.EXPEDITION.OG.pdf

I REALLY like the new LIMITED model that is being introduced with its 301HP 5.4L engine, DVD navigation option, wood steering wheel and console, etc. etc....
  • casadecastrocasadecastro Member Posts: 3
    Anybody know when the 2005 Expy will be available? SIgn me up for a Limited. I test drove a 2004 5.4 last night and it struggled up a hill near the dealership. Would hate to try it in the mountains...
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    The 2005 does sound very enticing, doesn't it? For what its worth, I drive a Denali with the 6.0 v8. Last month, I drove an Expedition EB with the 5.4 for a week, always loaded with 8 (sometimes 9) adults and cargo. To my surprise, it never felt underpowered. I wasn't a fan of the previous Expy, but the current generation certainly is an improvement and I can't wait to try it with the new motor.
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    All 2005 expys will have the 301 hp engine. Ford is also dropping the 4.6. Ford is trying to catch up with everyone else with 300+ hp. The Limited version is a keeper and I wish I was in the market to move up to the 2005.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I have an 04 EXPY EB with every option except the DVD,NAV and middle row captains chairs.It is a great SUV, better than any others and I looked at them all. Had it for a month at this point. While the 05 may have the 301HP, the 260 HP in the 04 is more than sufficient for my purpose.The 05 gas mileage may not be as good as the 04. We'll see... The difference between the Limited and EB is mostly Color combos, standard equipment. The EB can be equipped with all the options and sparkle with the Fire Red paint.
  • merseemersee Member Posts: 12
    I have owned my 04 Expedition for a couple of months now and have "knock on wood" had no problems! My only complaint would be that gas is over $2.00 a gallon, but I knew what kind of gas mileage I would be getting when I went from a minivan to the Expedition :( The Limited sounds nice, but you can't beat the Fire Red paint, which doesn't look available on the Limited.
    I have one of those in the Eddie Bauer trim that lives and parks across the street from me. They are sharp...
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    Greetings everyone,

I was faced with the choice of a 2004 or 2005 Expedition and in the process the 260 hp, or the 300 hp engine. I ended up going with the 04 for a couple of reasons.

1. A late build 04 is likely to have fewer bugs than an early build 05 with tweaks and changes.

2. The Limited Editions for 05 are likely an excuse for a price bump to bolster Fords bottom line. Can't blame them for this, I just don't want to exceed 40K.

3. The 3v 5.4 IS NOT what you would expect. The older motors have a better acceleration off the line without question. Ask the people who own them - the new F-150 owners who've driven and owned the older 260hp version. Only when the new motor gets into the upper RPMs does the extra 40hp become apparent. This may have something to do with the new throttle-by-wire system, I don't know. I DO know that you're buying a 3 ton SUV - NOT a sports car here people. The older motor will get the job done without question - and in some cases do a better job than the new version.

-TG
    Let me weigh in here on this old motor as well.

The 260hp 5.4 Triton was the engine in my 99 Navigator also. About a minute and a half after I bought mine, they brought out the 5.4L Intech engine, with 4V DOHC, but I missed it.

I never lacked for power, even towing, even towing up long grades and hills. Never. And that engine performed flawlessly for the 65,000 miles that I owned the car. I loved that engine.

Frankly, I don't notice the increased power much. This is an equally good engine, and maybe under load, it would be stronger. But the 260hp engine was always plenty for me too.
  • nckracernckracer Member Posts: 7
    My lease is up on my '03 Expy, so I ordered an '05 Eddie Bauer 4X4 with all options except for second row captains chairs. The only reason I didn't go with the limited is the monotone paint scheme. I still like the two tone, just looks a little nicer. I ordered it on the 24th of May. I have a vehicle order confirmation but no build date yet. No pricing has been released yet, but dealer guaranteed me invoice price plus any available rebates. I've been told to expect delivery after the first of August.
    It'll be a miracle if you take delivery in August. You should plan on delivery some time in the first half of September. Job 1 for 05 Expeditions is August 2.

The order for my 04 took about 8 weeks and they tell you to plan on 6 to 8. You can't count on 6 to 8 starting until job 1 for the 05 production run I would guess. Maybe this is a question for your dealer.

Also, I'd want the invoice - incentives in writing. Unless you have it in black and white, it doesn't matter what they said.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Our '03 Eddie-B XP only has squealing brakes out of the 1-2-3 problems recently discussed. We now have 32K on it and at least 10K of that was in traffic so I would expect to have to replace pads now. I find it odd that they just make a slight noise that is probably the wear indicators, not like any I've heard before.

What would one expect to pay for pad replacement with ceramic Raysbestos, or as they probably call it here, Bubba-sbestos or my-other-brother-ray's-doing-asbestos-he-can?

Welcome back to gas, oil, heck even anti-freeze as I'm not fluid prejudice.
    Cost on the replacements with the new Ford ceramic pads will run you between $300 and $400. These are prices I've seen thrown around the net.

Now, a set of decent ceramic pads from Tirerack.com will run you about $90 plus say $100-$110 for installation you can do it for $100-$200 cheaper by going with aftermarket pads and having the installation done at a mom-and-pop shop near you.

Whether or not you want to do this is a decision you have to make. Some folks have to have their work done at the dealership in order to be happy.

-TG
  • anthonysbmwanthonysbmw Member Posts: 13
    I am trying to add / check the R-134a in the A/C system in my 2001 Expedition ED with rear a/c. I can't find the low pressure value to check the system pressure / level of freon. I have found the high side right in front of the battery on the passenger side. Any idea where the low side valve is located?

Thanks
    Just bought the 2004 and love it. However, I did notice a couple of items on the '05 that I might miss a little:

raised roof rails -- I like these better than the current rack; am going to use the thule from the old explorer we had with longer bars.

power folding mirrors -- had those added to my '04 from navigator parts. it ran me another grand to have done. Looks like the EB doesn't get them and I'd have gone with the eb over the ltd anyway.

Not sure the engine would have made a lot of difference to me. the '04 is pretty studly as it is. would have liked a 5 sp tranny tho, one more gear between 1st and 3rd would have been nice.
  • lauroblaurob Member Posts: 9
    Looking for an Expy to replace lemon Honda Odyssey...
    Been reading these forums for info & have come across a few mentions of "X-Plan" for better prices. Would someone kindly explain & give info on where to find this plan?
    Thank You
    is only available to Ford Motor Co. employees, or relatives of same. It gives you the car at essentially the dealer cost.
    X-Plan is available to anyone now nvbanker. All you need to do is find someone who is willing to part with one of their pins. I should know because my wife's uncle hooked us up on our 04 Expedition.

X-Plan pricing is MSRP * .87 or about $200 less than invoice. This essentially worked out to about a $1500 price difference from our best negotiated price.
    Wow..... But your Uncle is a relative.... What you're saying though, is they don't have to be a relative anymore, a friend could hook you up? Are pins limited?
    No kidding. Here's the kicker - my wife's uncle knows the person who hooked us up with the pin. So in actual fact, we got the pin from a family friend. This worked great and there were no problems along the way. So X-Plan is now open, not just to relatives and family, but "friends" as well. This essentially means that anyone can access the program.

I do think the pins are still limited to a certain number each person can use each year. I think 2 is the number if I remember right.

X-Plan is a good deal and is the only one available to the general public, but A or D Plan (essentially the same thing) rule them all. These are only available to employees of dealerships, or employees of Ford. This brings the price in ~$1500 under X-Plan.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    I think there is a big difference between "X plan is open to the public" and people who are giving out their pins. Your family seems to have opened it up to the public, not Ford.
    "I think there is a big difference between "X plan is open to the public" and people who are giving out their pins. Your family seems to have opened it up to the public, not Ford. "

No sir. X-Plan is now open to anyone who can obtain a pin - even you. There is no longer any requirement by Ford to prove a familial connection in order for the discount to apply. This means that if you can find someone who is willing to part with one of their allocated pins each year, you can receive the discount too. I never said "X-Plan is open to the public" - go check the posts.

Have a nice day always.
    You are correct, you didn'y say "public", you said "general public".

Post 1314 - "X-Plan is a good deal and is the only one available to the general public..."

Ford must have recently changed their position on this, the last two times I've used the X discount they were pretty dilligent about verifying where the pin came from. The last time I used it was in September. The more the merrier if they are getting looser with the policy, but I would imagine it could have also been at your dealer level rather than corporate policy.
    I think the shift in position on this discount program is probably due to Ford wanting to do everything it can to maximize market share. It makes sense when you think about it. Why would Ford want to put barriers up for people to own their vehicles? I could understand still being picky about A or D plans.
  • sbspencesbspence Member Posts: 16
    We have a chance to pick up a 1997 Eddie Bauer with only 30 k on the clock from the original owner. Were these good units? What areas should we look into for possible problems. .. ? THANKS!
    Spence><>
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Sbspence,

I'd look elsewhere because it sounds like someone tinkered with the odometer and moved it to the clock. A 1997 model actually should have about 3.7 million ticks (minutes) on the clock regardless of how far it's been driven, LOL. Seriously though, reliability has been average, 3 on a 5 scale. It's plenty big, more trucklike than todays models, a bit weak on power maybe except with the 5.4L. I had a 97 truck and it went through several ball joints, not sure if that was a trend or just mine. If you like the price and it's been maintained well, go for it. This site has some excellent reviews and comparisons not to mention good price guides, no I don't work for them. One of the factors that would weigh heavily here is MPG. Think about life with mileage in the low teens or worse (you didn't say if it was 2 or 4WD) and that gas isn't getting any cheaper. These factors could be used as bargaining chits. For instance, you're doing the owner a favor by paying all their 7 y/o gas-hog is worth considering the uncertainty of world fuel markets. At that age you can expect alot more things to start going wrong. Best guess here is pay no more than 40 percent of original purchase price despite the very low mileage.

Fuel prices are the only thing that separates us from complete joy with our '03 Expie 2WD 5.4L Eddie-B, best of luck.
    My company participates in this plan as we also use ford for company cars (as well as gm). All I needed at the time of the transaction was the x-plan #; there was no verifiation process so it seems that this number would be easily transferrable. The x-plan # populated a pricing sheet that was below invoice but did not deter the dealer(s) from attempting to add their usual list of add-on fees; well, you can't blame them for trying...

Am concerned about the posts on the advance trac issues and since I have that option on our '04, what were the early signs of trouble? did you have to be in 4x4 mode, or did this occur in 2wd as well?

BTW, with 6k on the truck, we still love it. It is really a nice family ride!
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    Not much point in discussing Ford X-Plan pricing with so much 2004 Expedition inventory (many built in early fall of 2003)on hand. Dealers are throwing in nearly all of their hold back money just to move the units off their lots in anticipation of the 2005 Expy with 5.4 3V. Pricing is way under any X-Plan right now with just a minor amount of the proverbial haggling. Dealers still come out on 1% Blue Oval money and may salvage 0.5% holdback money. If you trade they have your trade-in to sell that has been "booked" at dead wholesale. Still making a profit.

Aren't A & Z Plan purchases an early in the model year happening? I never have had the chance so I don't know-inside deals are a turn off (much like dealer employee demos)since someone has to pay for Ford and the dealers to turn their meager profits. Ha!
    What do you mean by "dead wholesale" on a trade. I'm assuming it's the lowest possible trade-in figure they can reasonably ask for but how do they arrive at that "dead wholesale" cost?

Thanks
    Spence; if you're sure of the original owner and mileage, it may be a good deal. You didn't give us much in details, 4WD/2WD, engine size, etc; but here are some pointers. The 4.6L is pretty anemic IMO for that size truck, especially if 4WD. If it has the 5.4L, that would be ok, but even that engine only gives you 230hp in that year. In 99, it was boosted to 260, which was plenty of power. 97 was the first year out, but even so, they were pretty good units with few chronic problems.
    Just an expression of mine. Just say wholesale.

Here in the Eastern Tennessee, the price of gasoline has created a bit of buyers market for new 2004 Expedition. The dealers still will not admit that they are selling below "invoice" which is right around 89% of MSRP for the Expedition model. The actual dealer cost is 4% less than invoice, that being 3% holdback and 1% Blue Oval money. The dealers just will not admit that they are throwing in all or even part of the holdback. But, they are really are
    selling at 86 to 87% of MSRP before rebates just to move the remaining inventory.

My new 2004 Expedition NBX is smooth and drives better than my 2003 FX4 and the new 4R75W tranny is a nice upgrade from previous 4R70W. But, I am just sick and tired of the OEM tires (Continental ContiTrac TR). The right front it a good 1/16" out of round and they pull to the right or the left as you rotate the front tires. This Detroit cheapo tire thing for high priced vehicles is totally out of hand. Lead weight makers should be happy given how much is used by the Michigan Truck factory trying to get the above ContiTrac TRs out the door. My brothers' new 2002 or maybe 2003 Suburbans have those cheap Firestone Wilderness (or something). They too just shake their heads in disgust.

Ford doesn't bother to provide a spare for new a Expedition that matches the tires on the ground. In my case TRs on the ground and Conttrac SUV on the spare rack. Must save Ford $6-8.

..oh well I'll just drive the wheels off what is now my 11th new Ford Suv ...enjoy the trusty 5.4L..there's always a brighter side..
  • 2dogs696962dogs69696 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Expedition with Sirius Sat installed. I am unable to play Sat radio in dual mode while DVD is playing. AM/FM/CD work fine. Anyone know if this is normal and if so, is there a fix?
    Interesting about the spare. My new 04 Mountaineer not only has a matching spare tire, but also a matching aluminum wheel under the truck. AND, Goodrich tires, which seem to be pretty good. I don't know what it is with the Continental thing. My last Mountaineer had Goodyears and my Navigator had Michelins.
    I think Ford is offering a michelin upgrade for $150 (at purchase) if you want to get away from the Conti's.
  • slotoyslotoy Member Posts: 14
    A friend just bought a new 4WD Eddie Bauer Expedition. He swears it does not have external temp display. Ford specs show that it is standard equipment. Where is the display located?
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    He needs to push the display button on the heater/ac control. It can
    either display the outside temp or the a/c heater temp settings. The
    dual display will display both zone settings passenger and driver
  • slotoyslotoy Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the prompt reply. He has it working now.
    Didn't come with the optional owner's manual, eh? :)
    My 2003 FX4 Expedition had the same ContiTrac TR on the ground and non-matching ContiTrac SUV as spare. Many other new Expedition inventory has had same 4 TR, 1 SUV setup. I thought when the manufacturer says "conventional spare" the purchaser assumes a tire that matches? The OD spec on the TR is 31.8", while the OD for the SUV is 31.6" The SUV would be the same height somewhere along the way. Ha!
  • duceduce Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know when the 05's will hit
    the floor?
    somebody traded one out on you, probably long before you selected the car. Who knows why...but I've never seen a new vehicle with a full size spare not have matching tires, even if the wheel was plain. Unless Ford is trying to save a half-buck on one tire per car suddenly, this makes no sense. I'd check on the lot and see what four or five other Expeditions have underneath, myself. In fact, I may do that.
    I think build one is due for early August
    Yes, job 1 for the 05 Expedition is August 2, but the guys at Michigan Truck Plant would tell you that they've been building the 05 model year for a couple of months now.
  • duceduce Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know if the 05's have any significant
    differences or improvements over the 04's?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an 04
    now or wait for the 05's. The current incentives
    are good now but I assume they'll still be
    around for the 05's.....good assumption or
    not?
  • nckracernckracer Member Posts: 7
    The new 3 valve 301 HP 5.4L engine is the only engine available on all '05 models. Raised roof rails replace the luggage rack. A new safety and security package. A new technical convenience package. A heavy duty trailer tow package. A redesigned instrument cluster display. Second generation Advance Trac w/ roll stability control. Pueblo gold clearcoat metallic replaces arizona beige for body cladding on Eddie Bauer. A new color for XLT and Eddie Bauer called charcoal beige clearcoat metallic.

There is a new Limited version which is equipped like an Eddie Bauer plus 17" chrometec wheels. Monotone body color cladding, including front & rear fascias, wheel lip moldings and grille. Chrome tipped exhaust. Black-out headlamps. Power folding mirrors. Chrome roof rails. Body colored running boards. There is a new color called Cashmere tri-coat clearcoat metallic. (Premium option$$)

Interior: 1st row low back bucket seats in monochromatic, leather trim, 8 way power adjust for driver/passenger, power lumbar and recline, adjustable headrest, and 3 setting heated and cooled control, 2 position driver side memory.
    Steering wheel has real wood and leather wrapped tilt w/ duplicate audio and climate controls. Instrument panel grab handles w/ simulated wood.

I'm sure I missed a few things, but this is all I can remember.

I've had an '05 EB ordered since May 25th. I just recieved a VIN and a scheduled build date for the week of August 2nd. Dealer said I should take delivery by the end of August.
    A touchscreen, voice activated DVD navigation system becomes an option for '05, replacing the cd based version now available.