Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon - Remotes, Remote Start, Door Locks and Security System Questions

Comments

• plummer2plummer2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanx alot. One more question. With the smartkey system, there is still an entry for a key on the handle. Was anyone who has the Limited w/smtky given at least a key for the glove compartment?
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    Actually, the smart key fob does contain a "key". To use it, you have to press a release on one side of the fob (it's a small indentation) and pull out the "key" using the small protrusion which usually has a small ring attached to it.
    The purpose of this "key" is to allow entry in the event that the fob battery dies on you. It also allows you to lock/unlock the glove box and the pass-through from the trunk.
    Hope this is the info you were looking for.
  • canner1canner1 Member Posts: 1
    This feature, (without Smart Key), works fine, starting engine remotly from some distance. But since car doors are locked to start engine (press "Lock on fob 3 times"), the only way to get into car is to stop engine. Pressing "unlock" on fob or using key in handle to unlock stops engine. Is this normal?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Yes. It's one of the "flaws" which people complain about that Toyota, in it's infinite wisdom, engineered in. Never mind that many other market remote starts allow you to start it, unlock the doors, get into the car, insert the key into the ignition, turn it to "on", put foot on the brake to disable the kill switch, THEN shift into reverse or drive.

I installed an aftermarket unit in my 04 Tundra and it worked perfect. But just prior to the gas increase/shortage, I got rid of it and bought the Avalon LTD. Result: much greater gas mileage & comfort and a very slight bit of annoyance with the remote start. I can easily live with this minor flaw.
    zekeman1
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    I tried to program the remote of my garage door opener in my 06 avalon, XLS, but it would not take. Has anyone had any problem of doing that? Anyone has any idea of how to solve this problem? Thanks
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    lazarous: What make and model garage door opener do you have?
  • whealy53whealy53 Member Posts: 13
    As alan_s mentioned, it will depend if you garage door opener has a rolling code on it. Consult your opener instructions (if you don't have them you can probably find them on line) to see if you need to take steps with it to program the Homelink to it.
  • jdre86jdre86 Member Posts: 30
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the whole forum discussion thing, so be easy on me. Lazarous, I have an 06 Avalon Limited, and if the instructions in the owner's manual don't work, go to your garage door opener, remove the cover to the light bulb (if it has a light) and look for the training button. When you push the training button, a light should illuminate for about 30 seconds. Within that 30 seconds, you need to get in your Avalon and push whichever button you'd like to set until your garage door closes. Let me know if this helps. It worked flawlessly for me the first time I did it.
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    Guys thanks to you all. My garage opener is: Genie, quietlift 2040, AC powered Belt Drive. I just had it installed few days ago. I removed my Sears brand to install this new one. I will try jdre86's suggestion as soon as I get a chance, and will let you all know. Thanks much to you all.
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Please try this, I think you will find this source is a great help. It worked for me, as the typical procedure spelled out in the Owner's Manual can be tough to decipher:

Go to Homelink's Web site, which is www.homelink.com, click on your country and then click on "Training". They have a real well done tutorial. Just follow the steps, I printed it out and keep it in my folder of car stuff.

Homelink is the after-market manufacturer that makes the remote mechanism used by Toyota and a ton of other manufactuers. Let us know how it goes!

Mike
  • raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
    Key FOB works for all doors but the drivers side door. Won't lock or unlock usind the FOB. I have to use a key in the door or lock/unlock from inside.

One day it just stoped working. I find this odd.

Any ideas?
  • shawn4818shawn4818 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Avalon XLS. I would like to adjust the volume of the beep sound when using the remote key. But, I could not find any instructions in the manual about how. Does anyone know how to do this? Or, any suggestions? Thanks!
  • dhurandardhurandar Member Posts: 3
    How about you, did you get it fixed? I discovered this problem on my 1997 Avalon XLS on the right rear door just a week back. Right now it is a bit of an inconvenience, but if there is a easy solution, let me know.

Tks! :confuse:
  • steve326asteve326a Member Posts: 58
    This is a stupid question. I know that FOB is refering to remote operation. But, what exactly does the letters F O B mean?
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    The universal meaning of FOB is "free on board" and refers to when ownership of purchase goods happens (i.e., FOB factory means that the purchaser "owns" the goods at the factory and takes responsibility for the goods from that point onward). FOB can also mean the remote unit, commonly referred to as a "key fob." This usually means a chain that attaches to a key or a pocket watch.
  • whilstwhilst Member Posts: 19
    '00 xls.
    Changed daughters' brake booster,disconnected battery.
    Upon re-assembly,car started right up and I drove a few trips-no problems.
    Now,I turn key to start,and NO dash lights or any accessories powered OTHER than door locks!?
    Battery fully charged. Help!!!
    Anybody else have similar problems?
    TIA,Jeff. :sick: :confuse:
  • steve326asteve326a Member Posts: 58
    You may wanna check the battery terminals including the clamps that hold the wires on the connectors. They have a history of corrosion. Right now, it may just be passing enough juice to power your locks but that is all. Also have your battery and alternator system checked.

Hope this helps,
    Steve
  • henryat1140henryat1140 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone with a Limited been able to change the door lock behavior so that the doors don't lock until the veh. speed is 12mph? This is SUPPOSED to be owner programmable.

I've read the manual and tried to change it per the instructions in the manual AND on the Toyota animated guide, but it can't work they way they describe.

In particular they say turn the ignition on and then move the gear selector to drive. Problem is you cannot move the lever UNLESS the engine is started. IOW there is no 'turn the ignition on' in the limited;- nothing happens in the car unless you put your foot on the brake - at that point the green light comes on and the engine starts (normal behavior).

If you start the engine, it APPEARS as though you cannot complete the rest of the procedure. I've tried it more than once.

Is this a glitch (Toyota never imagined the combination of BOTH the smart key and the desire to make the programming change)?

OR am I completely mis reading the procedure?

Anyone else tried or solved this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Henry
  • jdre86jdre86 Member Posts: 30
    Henry, you can move the gear selector out of park without the engine on. First you have to put the ignition in the "on" mode without the engine on. To do this, push the "START" button twice (WITHOUT your foot on the brake pedal). The light on the Engine Start/Stop button will be orange. Then put your foot on the brake pedal and shift out of park.

Pushing the button twice is the same as turning the key to the "on" position but not starting it in a car without the Smart Key System.

Let me know if this helps you.
  • henryat1140henryat1140 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you for the response. I'll give that method a try AS SOON AS MY CAR COMES OUT OF THE BODY SHOP ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Just after posing my message unfortunately I was involved in a deer-car collision. Actually, not even my fault. The deer bolted from a hedge into the path of the car in the oncoming lane - he clipped the deer and punted it squarely into my Avalon. There was no time to react - just a brown flash and big thud. Most of the structure below the hood is damaged. I'm waiting for the body shop to assess the damage.

So, like I say as soon as I can I'll try your method. Meanwhile I'm fretting. My car NEVER spent a night out of the garage, and here is is out in the weather.

Grumble Grumble

Henry
  • whilstwhilst Member Posts: 19
    Turns out it was 40 amp fuse!
    Thanks anyway, Steve.
    (Sorry for late response)
  • tomaztomaz Member Posts: 1
    I tried the procedure and still can't get the locks on my 2007 Avalon to program for the 12 mph speed lock. Any other suggestions?

Tom
  • airbossairboss Member Posts: 17
    We're looking at a 2007 Avalon Limited, with the Smart Key system. I'm curious if the individual key fobs are 'related' to the memory seat positioning (one fob sets to memory 1 and the other sets to memory 2)?

The salesguy didn't know the key fob proximity adjusted the seats, but Toyota website says it does. I want to be able to have it set to me when I get in the car, with my fob, and the same for wife. I guess the question is what happens when we walk up the car together?
    You adjust the seat and mirrors for yourself and then press the "set" button and 1 or 2 on the door to memorize the positions. Your wife then does the same and presses the other button. Then, the car senses the fob for whoever is "in the drivers seat" and adjusts both accordingly (seat and outside mirrors -- not the seat extension, however).
  • airbossairboss Member Posts: 17
    I was curious what happened if we both got into the car, carrying our individual fobs? Drive it crazy?
    It does not appear to be a problem as the proximity to the sensor is the determining factor. There is a problem, however, if you leave one fob in the car/trunk and then try to lock the car.
  • beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    Hi folks. Any suggestions on disabling the beeps on an '06 XLS when locking or unlocking the car with the remote? I tried the directions in the manual (IIRC: with the door open, remove key, turn to on, etc.) and got nowhere. The instructions say the car will respond with 2 beeps, but I've gotten none so far.

Thanks.

John
  • beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    The service manager and a salesman couldn't disable the beeps either. The sales guy suggested holding one button down all while following the steps in the owner's manual. NOPE.

Now, if I can just find a comfortable seat position and deal with the lack of a fold-down rear seat I might just keep the car.

I guess I didn't mention that after I took 5 weeks off from work to care for my 85-year-old parents and get them moved into assisted living my father gave me the car. He was doing fine when he bought it, but then needed back surgery.
    He's given me some nice things over the years, but never a car. It had a $39,600 sticker (he paid 33 and change) and only has 6,000 miles on it - 4k when I started driving it in December.

John 'beep-beep' beachfish

P.S. - Shame it wasn't a truck. :) Do you know how much stuff 2 people can collect in 62 years of marriage? I'm moving furniture to the assisted living center, cleaning out their house and selling it.
  • avalonfan1avalonfan1 Member Posts: 4
    I had to take my 2007 LTD (with the smart key) to the dealer, they hooked it up to the computer programmer and changed it. It was in for warranty work so there was no cost.
  • tbcavalontbcavalon Member Posts: 2
    I had the very same problem. I determined that the small, 12VDC motor that controls this action was bad. It was difficult to replace, but as it was over $350 to replace the door latch assembly (per dealer) and the motor (FC-280PT-22125) was less that $1.50, I felt it was worth it in the end. I took some photos of the dissassembly.

I found the motor on ebay: Here.
  • tag16ctag16c Member Posts: 2
    wrsutton
    I am tag16c. You referred to my ad about the door lock actuator motors on ebay in one of your post several months ago. Thank you sooooo much.
    I have had a hard time finding them but finally I have found an exact replacement for the Mabuchi FC 280PT-22125. I have tested it and verified the specifications and the only difference is they are more expensive.
    The link in your post is now invalid but search for FC 280PT 22125 on eBay and the new ad will appear.
    Forum rules dictate I cannot announce the ad myself because I am the seller.
    Check out my eBay ad and spread the news.
    Thank you
    Tag16c
  • frankonefrankone Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased 2003 Avalon that had been wrecked. Have fixed. Did not have the key fob with the car. Could anyone furnish a picture of the correct fob? Also instructions on how to program fob?
    Thanks
  • wolfej50wolfej50 Member Posts: 1
    Both of our fobs stopped working on our 2001 Avalon on Jan 1 2010. I've replaced the battery (on the remote change that both batteries died on the same day), but no joy. Could there be some kind of date function in the fob or the car's computer that would cause this failure? This sounds suspiciously like a programming bug.
  • lee_anderslee_anders Member Posts: 2
    Tom,
    Interested if you have found a solution to this door lock change problem? I have just bought a 2010 Avalon Limited and am having the exact same problem. The owner manual instructions simply do not work for this change - as you well know. Tell me what you may have discovered these last few weeks.
    Thanks......Lee Anders
  • lee_anderslee_anders Member Posts: 2
    New 2010 LImited....tried numerous times to change the auto door locks from the default position to the setting that locks the doors only after reaching approx 12 MPH. Clear instructions provided in the owners manual.....simply do not work for this car. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks.....Lee Anders
  • soyeljefesoyeljefe Member Posts: 1
    The service light went on on my car. I ran a diagnostic and got the following messaage: P0171 Sys too lean Bank1. Any suggestions?
  • dansherxdansherx Member Posts: 1
    when i lock/unlock my avalon with the remote, i get horn blasts vice beeps. this changed after the battery was disconnected then re-connected. anybody know how to change back to beeps?
  • punnu17punnu17 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought toyota avalon 1999. I received one remote which is not working. Dealer told me that it should be the dead battery. But it is still not working after replacing the battery. The red led on the remote is working on the remote this means remote is fine. But it is not able to lock/unlock doors of my car.

My power doors are working as I am able to lock/unlock doors from the driving seat.

I also noticed that the Toyota security LED is not blinking even after I lock the car. I dont know if the remotes are related to Toyota Security or not.

I appreciate if you can tell me how to diagnose the issue, I want to fix it myself as I heard that Toyota dealer charge too much for this.

Thanks in advance,
    Puneet
  • markasmarkas Member Posts: 5
    It sounds like the remote may need to be programmed to your car. When I got a new remote, they had to look up a code to allow the remote to deactivate the security system and open the doors. As far as I know, you can't do it yourself. Either a locksmith that deals with toyota remotes or authorized Toyota garage or a dealer itself.

That is mostly speculation on my part. Perhaps someone else might have a way to do it, or suggest another alternative.
  • davide2davide2 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 Avalon with Factory installed remote starter. Is there setting i can change to engage the seat warmers when the car is started remotely. also, why does the car shut off when i open the door. The reason for an autostart is to warm the engine and interior. all my other vehicles engage the fan and heaters, why cant Toyota? :(
    I have a 2006 Lmtd. I also have the factory remote start. I notice that when it is cold outside (don't know at what exterior temperature) the climate control does go to a heater/defrost mode on a warm setting. Try setting your climate control to a colder setting before you get out of the car. When it is cold out, remote start and look through the window. The temperature display and mode might be different then how you left it, and it will come back on at the same temp. and mode it was last in. I am usually always in AUTO mode though, so not sure what happens if you leave it out of AUTO mode. Could also be a 2006 change though- I am not sure.

I don't know how to remotely activate the seat heaters, other then leave them on before you exit the car.

I completely agree with how foolish how the car turns off when you open the door. I am thinking that it is because of the smart key system, but that is a guess. I too would like to know how to defeat the door opening causing the remote starter to shut-off. Thanks for posting!
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Do the doors lock automatically when you hit the remote start? If they don't, I've seen where you still need to hit 'unlock' prior to entering the vehicle to keep the engine on. Not sure if this willl work with your year, tho...just a thought. It should kill the engine only if the door is open AND the vehicle is put into gear...or at least this is how I was told that Toyota programmed it.

Also, the only way to have warm seats when you get in is to have them on prior to exiting the vehicle like you say....wouldn't it be nice if we could 'remote' in to our vehicles and mess with the settings? I see another iPhone app coming!
  • nicolasj1nicolasj1 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    Hi Robsis,

according the the VIP system manual (just a one-sheeter I found online, really), the doors lock automatically when you remote start the car. Are you saying that when you press "unlock" while in range for the smart key, you can enter the car without having the engine shut down? That would be news to many people, including myself, but good news. I'm having the factory remote starter installed tomorrow on a 2011 Sienna no matter what, but what you say is encouraging...

Thanks!
    Hi Robsis,

Thanks for posting! To activate my factory remote start you hit the "lock" button on the remote three times, with the last (3rd) time holding the lock button down till the car starts. This locks all the doors before remote starting even works. I just went out and tested the remote start. If I hit the unlock button on the remote, the car shuts off. Also, if you open the door by grabbing the handle though the smart key, the car also shuts off. I may send an inquiry to Toyota, but I would LOVE it if I could have it re-programmed (even if I have to pay Toyota), but I am thinking this is something that can't be programmed out.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Here's what I was told by the svc mgr at my dealership:

1) When you activate the remote start, it will lock all the doors, then start the vehicle. The doors lock for obvious security and safety reasons.
    2) Upon approaching the vehicle, you hit unlock and the doors unlock (or just get in with your smartkey) and you have approximately 5 minutes to get in and hit the start button manually (maybe with your foot on the brake...I didn't ask but I assume so...) and this lets the system know that you are in the car and to not shut the engine down in the preset time (he didn't say what this was; however, it may be in the neighborhood of 15-20 minutes, which is what I've seen on other remote starts...).

He seemed puzzled when I asked if the engine would shut down once you got in...basically asking: "Why would it do that?"

HTH. This makes sense to me and follows with other remote start systems I've seen...can't say for certain that he is right; however, it sure makes sense.
    It's amazing how service people themselves know crap about systems like this. Systems they are supposed to install once in a while, right!? I'm having this installed today and initially the service manager told me "I doubt the engine shuts off when you open a door". He checked with a tech who confirmed it does exactly that. I was hoping that maybe if you unlocked the car with the remote when you are in range for the smart key to be recognized, the doors would open without the engine shutting down. According to another poster that's not the case :cry:
    Avalonfan1, when you hit unlock on the remote where you close to the car, I mean so that the smart key was in range to be recognized by the car? Or were you out of range? The manual does say that to shut off the engine remotely you have to press unlock on the remote. But maybe that only shuts off the engine if you out of range for the smart key's transponder?
    Hi Nocolasj1,

I tested tonight, both ways. It shuts off every time close or far away. :mad: I also contacted the dealer. They kindly responded, but I do not agree with what they said about an anti-theft feature. If the smart key isn't around, and the car is shifted into gear after a remote start; that is when it should shut off (and alarm sound), or if the door is opened after a remote start without the key nearby- it should also shut off (and alarm sound) but here is what the dealer said:

"In response to your email regarding your Avalons remote start system, I cannot find anywhere in the Toyota data base where you can change that safety feature. The system is designed that way so someone cannot steal your car, when it is warming up. I called Toyota technical and they said that it cannot be changed either. I also looked on Google, and still could not find anything. Let me know if I may be missing something."

It isn't the dealer's fault really, a design issue I think.
  • pjc141pjc141 Member Posts: 1
    As an owner of a 2011 Limited, I too am not happy with the remote start system. There may be a option to add a switch and do some rewiring as indicated in this forum: http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/showthread.php?t=10867 . I know it's for a different year and model but a tech who knows the ins and outs of the system may be able take this info and come up with a fix.