Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Exterior Questions

Comments

• dmontillodmontillo Member Posts: 3
    What is Z2 and Z5? How easy is it to use?
  • bbraddockbbraddock Member Posts: 46
    I've been using this since I learned of it when I was in a chat on my 2000 300M. It's the real deal for sure. I have a 2005 XLS and have 3 coats on in preparation for the Michigan winter I am facing. When I traded in my 2005 300c Hemi, the dealer said how nice the car looked and how wet it appeared to be. Don't miss Zaino's leather treatment either, it's really great stuff as well. It is very easy to apply, but follow directions. You DON"T need a lot of it! Put it on sparingly, let it dry and wipe with a 100% USA made white towel. Don't ask me why they simply recommend it and it works. Something to do with the cotton. Enjoy the ride!
  • caper1caper1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm purchasing my first Avalon Limited and I'm simply thrilled on the choice of o6 colors. Blizzard is my first choice, but I'm concerned about excessive maintenance to keep it looking great (live in Northern VA and don't have a garage). Will "winterizing" with the Zano polish I've been reading about be sufficient or should I set my sights on the Desert Sand, or Silver , or Mirage Blue, or...??? Please help. I need to decide very soon! :confuse: Caper1
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Go with the color you want.... too much money to be less than happy when you look at it. Avalons have excellent paint as a rule and if you keep it waxed reasonably well it should last for many years and still look great. Zaino is apparently a good product if you read all the posts here. It should keep the finish looking better than new. Wash off road de-icing chemicals as often as possible. Beyond that, enjoy your Avy. My .02.... :)
  • pamthegreekpamthegreek Member Posts: 2
    I noticed a few people in the forum making reference to trailer hitches. I have a 04 Avalon XLS that I am considering towing a small boat with. Total package would be about 1,500 pounds. Any suggestions? Anyone use their Avalon to tow small boat on ramps? Used to tow this boat with an 86 Cressida with no problem but Toyota does not seem as enthusiastic about suggestions with an Avalon as it did when I bought the Cressida. No more trailer towing guide, etc. Seems like they only make references to their trucks but I understand the Avalon engine is the same as in their truck.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Pam:

I trail with my 02 Avalon on a bimonthly basis. I installed a Class II hitch (Draw-Tite) and put in an electric interior hook up. I trail a small utility trailer, mostly with lawn mowers and snow blowers althouh recently I had about 1500-1800lbs of mulch to bring back from a nursery.

Although sometimes labored, as long as you go slow, things trail with ease. However, I do do a few things different.

1. I change the A/T fluid every 30K.

2. I take it out of OD, whenever the trailer is loaded.

3. I changed my front/rear rotors and pads to High Performance parts (drilled/slotted rotors)as the extra weight certainly affects their performance.

I believe Modulite lite was the electrical harness I used to hook into the back trunk wiring.

abfisch
  • 66gman66gman Member Posts: 12
    I and others have had posted about wiper slap. I cured mine on a 2000 Avalon. Take off 1 arm assembly at a time and run wipers. Did the noise go away? If it did you found the side that made the noise, now adjust the arm 1-2 notches toward the top of window, tighten enough to just keep on shaft. Is the noise gone, if so tighten completely. Do other side if needed. Now mine are whisper quiet. I remembered that several winters ago my blades were frozen to window and wipers were turned on, I believe thats when the linkage got jammed.
  • pamthegreekpamthegreek Member Posts: 2
    Abisch,
    Thanks so much for the response. I think the frequency you tow will be about the same or more than I will ever use the Avalon for. I take it you changed to High Performance brakes at the time you needed to replace them not just to have better braking at the outset? Why would you take it out of OD?
    I now have the attention of Southeast Toyota who is supposedly forthcoming with a recommendation. My local trailer hitch dealer has the Draw-Tite. In 86 Toyota used to recommend a Reese hitch.
    Pam
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The torque converter's overdrive lockup clutch is too light duty to survive high engine loading continuously.
    Pam:

Yes, I needed to change the brakes anyway. But the OEM brake parts to the Avalon are inferior quality. You will see why you take it out of OD the first time you haul someting heavy up steep grades. You will stressing the tranny out, and it will constantly be hunting for the lower gear. I would put more emphasis on the tow hitch place and not the Toyota dealership for towing with your car. The NEW Avalon,has 1/2 the towing capacity of the old one, so if you have a new one, you cannot tow too much. Draw-Tite, Reese, or Hidden Hitch are all good brands. Usually one or the other is made for the Avalon, not usually all three since it is not a popular towing vehicle.

Make sure you change your tranny fluid regularly if you tow.

abfisch
  • cadison1cadison1 Member Posts: 1
    I saw somewhere in this forum that one person purchased mud guards that were blizzard pearl. I went to the dealer and they claimed that there is no such thing and that they are only available in black for $91. This is robbery but that goes for all dealer parts. I am trying to find out if anyone knows how to get a hold of some blizzard mud guards.

Regards
  • stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    You can find them at www.anythingtoyota.com (among other places but I have had good experience with this TX toyota dealer). The Blizzard Pearl go for $36.15 for the front set and the same for the rear set. I bought black myself but others on the forum have bought the white & were happy with the color match.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I bought the Blue Mirage Metallic and they were a perfect match.
    Look up Brandsport on the net. Ask for Larry ONLY. Tell him abfisch referred you. The black guards are probably in the $50-$60 range. Make sure you get the installation instructions with them. Bring them to a good Auto Body shop. Have them painted your color code. Remember that plastic colors come out a slightly different shade than metal. Look at the difference of your metal and bumpers at different angles in the sun. Put them on yourself in your heated garage on a Sunday.

abfisch
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Based upon my experience with Anythingtoyota.com, the color match will be exact and there would be absolutely no need to go the trouble and expense of having the black ones painted.
    Did not realize they were available painted. This must be something new, as in the past, this was not available this way, unless it was from the factory. Your way sounds alot simplier.

abfisch
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I got my Blizzard Pearl mudguards from anythingtoyota.com They were much cheaper than the local dealer, the service was great and the color matches perfectly. I recommend anythingtoyota.com
  • 06indigoavalon06indigoavalon Member Posts: 28
    I bought Indigo Ink Pearl mud guards from Anythingtoyota.com and they were a perfect match.
  • norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    Ditto with all the folks who bought mudflaps at
    anythingtoyota.com. My silver mudflaps match my 2006 XLS just fine with a very good fit. They are
    easy to install.
  • xlsavxlsav Member Posts: 2
    What to do? Our Avalon (5 months young) was rear ended with damage to the trunk, DRL system, doors uneven, etc. It's in the shop contracted to do "body" work from the Toyota dealer I purchased it from. My concern, it will never be "new" again. The adjuster said if they can can't fix to the way it was, then they will replace the vehicle. But he seemed to think they could. I asked him how he thought that, when he just told me that it needed to go on a stretching machine. I told him that it appears that it will never be "the way it was." He said he understood, but I didn't get a comittment from him for replacing the Avalon. By the way the guy who hit us was on his cell phone as a "designated" driver for the owner of the vehicle.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    To xlsav:

Here in Georgia there is a law that says the insurance company must advise you of any future "devaluation" of your car as a result of the wreck, if they think it has been devalued. They also must pay for that lost value. Your state may or may not be the same.

It is impossible to determine your damage claims on this forum, but ask yourself: Is a stretched/repaired Avalon, at 5 months of age, the same as a new one? My guess is "probably not." Metal is never the same after a "stretch".... and the paint job may be another source of problems. Body shops do wonders but this is a new car.

Other opinions may differ but I would want another one, all else being equal.... My .02, hope it helps.
  • 06avalonxl106avalonxl1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello...I've just bought a 2006 Avalon XL and notice a clunking sound when I drive it for the first 50 ft then the clunking sound stops.
    Does anyone have any idea what this sound could possibly be? I will be taking it into the dealership to get this checked out... ;)
    By the way...other than that..We love our Avalon! :)
  • 66gman66gman Member Posts: 12
    Maybe..............
    If you have no passenger on the right front seat........ buckle the seat belt. Mine 2000XLS drove me nuts several days till I found the source. It rattled against the side air bag cover if it was not hanging straight. Give it a try
  • 06avalonxl106avalonxl1 Member Posts: 2
    No, its not the passengers seat belt, as my husband was in the car with his seat belt on....Its more like under the hood on the front right side.
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    It is possible, since it happens shortly after the car starts to move, that it is the ABS system doing a self-check.
    Some people hear it, others don't. Some cars are louder than others, even of the same make and model.
    If this is what the noise is, it is a normal function.
  • tasmanmotorstasmanmotors Member Posts: 8
    Hello Xslave, I was an estimator for a body shop in Ohio. The situation you are in does happen frequently and I have spoken with many people who are concerned with their brand new car not ever being the same. Each state has different laws and each insurance company has different rules in each state.
    I am basising these statements on just the description you have made. The wonders of technology has allowed body shops to put cars back together with such precision that they have tv shows know that represent what the body shop industry can do. The stretching of the vehicle is actually putting on a frame machine and have the unibody structure and if necessary the frame itself pulled back into factory specs. Every vehicle is designed with crumple zones to deflect the amount of force/energy of the impact away from the passangers. Most dealership body shops that I know of typically have a laser guided frame machine which is very accurate in putting it back into its original alignment. Now, this is depends on if the shop calibrates its machines regularly and the human factor, the person working on the vehicle is an ethical employee and will not do any short cuts. The reality is that it does happen because insurance companies will not pay for all necessary procedures to put the vehicle back to its original state. However, being a brand new vehicle, you are in the drivers seat and you have absolute control. I am sure this still does not help settle your fears, but you can control it more than you may think, even if you have no knowledge of all the steps it takes putting a car back together. If you have any concerns with the body shop you are taking it to, ask questions about their certifications/creditials from the employees to their equipment. Are they using some of the newest equipment in the market, do they keep it cleaned and calibrated, what type of paint system do they use(PPG,AKZO-Nobel,Sherwin Williams,BASE,etc), will they give you a tour of their facility, any letters from happy customers, how many vehicles they do in a month(could mean the quality of work is very good so they have a backlog of work), do they do work for any dealerships and which ones if the body shop is an independent(dealerships are very touchy about who they do business with because typically their reputation is on the line). I also recommend, if you have a digital camera, take some pictures and bring a company of the estimate from body shop that the car is at and see what another body shop says and ask them what the estimate says and what certain things are being done or not done. Take it to at least a couple of reputable body shops. If you don't know any ask your insurance company. And if there is a pretty big descrepancy between the orginal estimate and the ones you got on your own bring it up with your insurance company and see if they agree with you and have them fight for you.
    Hopefully this helps, and I am sorry if this is a little confusing. I am trying to write in a condensed version and cover as much ground to help you out. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. Good luck and thanks, Steve.
  • jeffcarpjeffcarp Member Posts: 7
    Anyone else having a problem with erractic behavior of the driver's side mirror, when using it with the memory seat presets? I have a mirror position assigned to memory seat A and a different position assigned to memory seat B. I've reset both positions to make sure they were still assigned.

Basically, when memory seat A or B is selected, the mirror moves to various positions erratically and usually NOT to the preset position. Sometimes it moves only a very small amount and it takes continually pushing of the memory seat button to get it to finally move to the preset definition. Other times, the mirror moves a large amount to some bizarre position like slanted completely towards the car.

I have a dealership appointment but wondered if this might be as simple as pulling a fuse to reset a computer. Anyone know what fuse in the '05 Avalon might make sense to pull and try?
  • toyav05toyav05 Member Posts: 1
    this is normal for you car since its brand new,i had the same issue and this was there reply to me.as you keep driving your car it will eventuall stop as mines did. it how toyota made this car,there is nothing wrong.Enjoy :)
  • alan1111alan1111 Member Posts: 10
    While at the beach I turned on the wipers which left a bunch of fine scratchs from sand(can not be felt with fingernails)on my 2000XL. Has anyone had any luck buffing these out? If so, what product did you use? TIA
  • usaid98usaid98 Member Posts: 10
    Question to the group. Can you change out XLS mirrors (Dual Heated outside with drivers for the memory outside mirrors w/Puddle LED turn signal indicators?) At the dealer to day for a different problem with my 06, I noticed when they were repairing my seal problem with my door,the access to the mirrors was very easy. My question is - does the wires going to the mirrors(XLS) work with mirrors w/Puddle LED turn signal indicators? Any insight into this problem is most welcome. Thanks.
    USAID42 :confuse:
  • wkobuswkobus Member Posts: 2
    The paint on the laser box receiver on the passanger side of the bumper has the paint pealing. This paint looks like a non reflective flat paint to keep sunlight from causing problems with the reflected radar single. Brought it to Toyota to have it painted again and got the car back with all the black paint removed. Are my assumption correct - that it need to be painted with non-reflective black paint and Toyota screw up or that its o.k. for it to be shiny white paint?
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    I read in one of the forums about someone complaining about the 'quality" of the paint on their Avalon. I have an 06 Silver Pine Mica Limited. We just returned from a 900 mile trip and since we encountered rain, I wanted to wash the car. This is when I discoverd excessive pitting on the front end. The car has only been driven 2,000 miles and never on a dirt road. And, I always maintain a significant distance when following cars or trucks to preclude front end damage from flying debris. I did write to Toyota. Day after I bought the car, I had it professionally waxed. Just wondered if anyone else was having the same problem. thanks!
    Bob
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    Some manufacturers discourage waxing their new cars until the paint is about 3 months old and has had the chance to fully cure. I don't know Toyota's recommendation but, in any case, waxing may be unrelated to your pitting problem.
    Thanks! It just seems odd that the paint on a $39,000 car would "chip" so easily. I'll see what Toyota has to say. Far less expensive cars with mileage over 30,000 don't have the chipping I've encoutered.
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    This problem is really nothing new for Toyota. I now own a 2006 Avalon Limited with, luckily, no chip problems. However, I had a 2001 Solara SLE-V6 convertible and ended up with a lot of hood chips. The Solara board at that time was full of complaints re: this problem. Apparently this is not something that is important to Toyota. :confuse:
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    I have a 96 XLS and the headlight washer on the drivers side doesnt work. The other side works. I can see windshield washer dripping from the drivers side which means it might be getting to the nozzle bit not out.

Anyidea how i can remove this part and take a look. doesnt appear to have any screws looking from top.
    It is either one of two things, since the other side works. You have something that is clogging the tubing going to the nossle or the nozzle itself is clogged. I would first start by sticking a small implement in the two nossles adjusters to see if they are clogged with debris. They I would detach the tubing to the driver's side, and blow through it to see if it is patent. Taking off the nozzle is very very painful, at least on the 02. I did it so I know. You have to take off the interior sound insulation to the hood, then compress the plastic clip enough to pop it through from inside out of the hood.

The new nozzles put out much more of a fine mist coming much more of the windshield that the older nossles with 2 or 3 jets that you can direct. Since I do alot of winter driving, I painted new ones, got them from the new Camry, cause they were outside exactly the same and then replaced them on my Avalon for that year. They work great, better than the ones that came with the vehicle and matched the color with a spray can from Paintscractch website where you can buy the exact color match.

Good luck

abfisch
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    thanks for the info. Removing the nozzle completely looked a big job and I wont do it. Its not as if i use this regularly anyway!!
    It is not such a big job, it is just a pain in the rear. Safety issues, which I consider this to be one of, especially if you are in Canada should be addressed. Take a nice Sunday in spring and do it. Realize, you will have to replace some of those plastic fasteners that hold up the underside of the insulation under the hood. They are a one time shot kind of, but I would fix it.

abfisch
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I spoke with Friend , I am going to put on zaino (showcar car care www.zainobros.com I think) Recommend Z-2 the best there is for protection and clearcoat Also can use the Claybar for removing the pitting and imperfections without hurting the paint. Today I put on new Lifetime 3M tint Colorstable for cars with NAV, Sat radio does not hurt reception. I highly recommend...
    Thanks Neil5: I did get a reply from Toyota--take it to the dealer if it is a "big" problem. I probably should have said "chipping" vs "pitting." I have the 1st oil change coming up and I'm going to take it back tpo the dealer and at least voice my dissatifaction. I just find it odd that a $39K car would incur so much chipping in 2,000 miles. My wife's 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd looks better. Claybar won't help--chipping is to the "black" of the bumper. I'm very concerned what the front end will look like at 10,000 miles. Like I said--I stay well back from the vehicles in front and I did have a professional detail done. I'll check out the Zaino and again--thanks!
    Bob
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I spoke with professional detailer (brother also details at Audi professionally). He states that although the toyota chips as you stated, the base paint is very good. Nissan, Infinity very poor! Also consider road guard or 3M film to be placed over your bumper about 400.00 here in fl. This goes over hood front, bumper, mirrors, and headlights...I am considering
    neil5: Thanks agian! What is 'road guard?" Not sure i like the idea of 3M Film--seems like something else to go bad--tears?
    Bob
    Thanks neil5--appreciate the info!
    Bob
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    I am exploring adding a trailer hitch to my 2006 Avalon. It will be used to tow a small utility trailer (1,100 lbs max). I was wondering if anyone has added a hitch to their Avalon. If so, what brand of hitch did you have installed, how visible is the frame when looking at the rear of the car, and how was the wiring for the trailer installed?
  • kpraveenkpraveen Member Posts: 22
    Hi Guys,

I have 1995 avalaon, Outside temperature display is not working. Can anybody please guide me that how what are the things that i have to test and How can i do them. Thanks you very much all of your time reading my message.

Thanks