Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Suspension Questions

jagoodejagoode Member Posts: 2
I bought a 99 Avalon a year ago from the Dealer. I purchased the extended warranty.

Within 1 month, I had the front struts and mounts replaced, complementary, due to excessive noise. However, the noises are still there. In the back too, but they say they can't hear that... must be because the front rattle too loud.

Clunking and rattling are the primary sounds. There is also a lot of motion in the steering wheel and accellerator pedal when you hit certain types of bumps and pot-holes.

While I always try to avoid hitting bumps, I can't help to believe that when I go over lane reflectors, the wheels shouldn't sound and feel like they are going to fall off. Coming from a '82 Celica and a 8'5 Supra with 200,000 miles with original suspensions and nothing close as far as sounds and feelings, I feel cheated by latest technology, or lack thereof.

Anyone else have this problem and know a remedy? Aftermarket suspension kits, anything?

Comments

• abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Post #214:

I think I can help you somewhat with your suspension problems. It is going to cost you a little, but the car will ride vastly improved. I did some of this to a 2002 Avalon, cause the shocks are extremely weak, and the changes are precious.

1. Buy 4 Tokico HD Gas Shocks for your vehicle year. If you live in a winter environment, you can undercoat them, but be careful not to get undercoating on the piston part or it will damage the seals. You can buy them over the internet.

2. Buy ALL NEW Toyota, bushings, dust covers, and insulators that have to do with the strut housing. Email a guy called Larry at his Toyota dealership at <larry@brandsport.com> Let him know I sent you.

3. Find a competent, wheel and alignment place near your home. Have them drive your Avalon first with the old stuts.

4. Then have them put the new struts and bushing on and align the car again.

Good luck. Let me know how things turn out.
    Nomad56:

Thanks for double checking that fuel filter install. That is what I was told that if you take the filler cap off, let it sit awhile, than the pressure decreases and it will leak but not much. Now, where is the DARN thing???? I could not find it?? Do you access it from below with the car on the lift or from above??? Driver's side or passenger??

The PU busings for the sway bars, both front and rear took longer than I wanted. The install for the rear were easy, as access to them was easy. Since the parts are really for a 97-99 Avalon,(there is no listed part for 2000-present), they are tight around the sway bar but not problems. The front install was a different matter. The curved fire wall makes accessing the rear screw difficult, especially any person that has large hands. Anyone doing this needs a straight rachet wrench. I did not have one, and it made getting to the bolts in front very tedious. I could only turn the darn thing a quarter turn at a time, and the threads were so close, I was ready to be committed by the time I got them snug. The maual states 14lbs of torque, not very much. The ride does not change that dramitically, but it is a little more harsh, not real difference in sway charactaristics, but a difference in cut in response from lane to lane. I am going to have someone professional do the CAB cause they will have to realign it anyway, and I don't want to get frustrated more.

I saw the New Acura TL. Very nice, 10K less than a BMW 5 series. But...this is not an inexpensive car, as premium fuel must be used, and those dual exhausts are expensive when replacement time comes. Nevertheless, with XM radio and the typical simple but refined, multi link double wishbone suspension, it is more performance than an Avalon, albeit more expensive.

Let me know when you trick the steering and how difficult it is. I am at the peak of making this car better. It is just about maintenance now.

Thanks for all your good help. I always enjoy this forum and get much more from all your technical know how than all the dealerships combined.

abfisch
    Nomad56:

One more question before I begin this project. Just want to make sure I am replacing the correct bushing in the correct place. In looking at the Rear Suspension Components, the suspension arm #1 and #2 attach to the frame at the suspensio member and at the wheel at the rear axle carrier.

It is the ones to the suspension member( the ones in the middle of the chassis) that I am replacing in the rear, not the ones near the rear axle carrier and strut. Correct????

Just want to make sure before I start taking everything apart.

Thanks again for the tech info. Love this forum.

Looked at a 5 series yesterday. Thought of you. Terribly complicated car. I like the old ones better. Let me know when you get around to driving the Acura TL with the 6M tranny.

abfisch
    Avalon Forum and Nomad56:

I attempted to change the Rear Control Arm bushing last week, but only got as far as getting the car up on the lift. It seems, at least from 2000 and on, the bolts that go through the suspension member throught the suspension arms go from the front of the vehicle to the back. You cannot take them off, they are too long and not enough space without either dropping the gas tank or the control arm and the suspension member.

For me that would have been an 8 hour job, and just did not seem worth it for a two year old car. The PU bushing for the sway bars, front and rear, were alot easier and the Tokico HP shocks give this car more than enough sporty hanlding now.

Unless you have some suggestions, to make this install easier, I am going to hold on to the bushing and wait until I have to change the exhaust, align the car again, and then take it all down.

If anyone has any technical info. on this install, please let me know, but this is NOT for the average golfer. You need a couple of people to take down that transverse cross member some.

Thanks. Nomad56???

abfisch
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    ab-I've been away for a week, leaving again in two days. Anyway, I removed the strut rod and suspension arms without too much trouble. ...perhaps a little different on your newer Avy???? Unfortunately, I will not be near the garage for two weeks...I'll check it out next time I'm there. Note: I air hammered 'em out/in ON the car. I did not remove the carrier. -nomad56-
    Nomad56:

Thanks for the response. On the net, a gentleman removed the same bushings out of his MR2. He described the same set up (Toyota set up) as I have. It leads me to believe that is the way they set up their suspension systems with good reason. The bolts cannot come out even if the nuts come off. Very safe but painful to work on.

Thanks for the effort. I can wait on these until major repairs at 200K need to be made. Perhaps they will have other bushing parts by this time anyway.

abfisch
  • jrebotjrebot Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just bought a 98 Avalon and I am getting a thumping sound from the front passenger side when I go over bumps. The car has 25700 miles on it.

What needs to be done? The car is not under warranty.

Thanks.

Joe
    jrebot:

Are you sure a 98 Avalon actually has ONLY 26K on it?????? That is less than 5K per year. That being said, either bring it to a qualified wheel and alignment place(frame and axle) or start from the outside in. Check your tire pressure, then links and bushings, and last shocks. Usually if the tires are OK and are not dry rotted, the bushings are intact and not rotted or lose, it is the shocks. Replace with TokicoHP's struts. My opinion is to stay away from Toyota's OEM struts.

It would be prudent to have a place that takes the underside of the car apart on a regular basis check it out.

abfisch
  • bigbluekybigblueky Member Posts: 11
    jrebot, the noise you're hearing is more than likely a strut housing bushing that is causing the thumping sound that you are hearing. Toyota is very well aware of this problem to the extent that a TSB has been issued. If you can live the thumping sound then I'll let you know that it's not a major problem, just an annoyance My 97 has made this noise since I baught it, it seems to me that the problem is worse in the winter than the summer. This problem is not just found in the Avalon, but in many other Toyota cars. Let me know what you find out. You can find a list of TSB's for your car at the NHTSA web site. Good luck
  • rbremerrbremer Member Posts: 2
    I too had this problem with my 1998 Avalon and took it to the dealership for warranty service. Ironically the additional weight of the service manager prevented the noise from occuring during our test drive. I described it to him and he said it sounded like a loose strut. I let the dealer take the car and they resolved it. The explanation was it was a loose strut upper mount. It would seem that if it was "loose" then they would only need to tighten it but they listed 2 parts needed. Part # 48603-33021 and 48609-33121, both listed as "Support S/A - FR-S"
    rbremer-the "loose" strut mount is not mounting bolts. Strut mounts are two pieces separated by a bushing. As that bushing wears, noises develop. Some squeak, some thump. The Avy's were plagued with premature failure of these... and a "thumping" noise. This is an item replaced with struts (usually). So, if you are close to needing struts, listen to the thump, or turn up the radio:), until you do struts.
    -nomad56-
  • teepee5teepee5 Member Posts: 1
    Replace Strut "Tower" Part cost: $65 each, labor 1 hour each, total cost for 2 towers $270. Had to replace at 160,000 miles, in addition to rack & pinion.
  • scanner1scanner1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Avalon that continues to have thunking noises in the suspension.
    I've replaced strut mounts front and rear. I still have regular noise that
    sounds roughly like a length of 2x4 hopping around in the trunk. It's
    affected by temperature and road conditions to some extent. This one area
    ruins the impression of an otherwise great car. After two sessions of
    strut mount replacement, I hesitate to spend tons more money on a 7 year old
    car in HOPES of finding the right parts or processes that takes care of the
    problem. Has anyone found sure cure for this?

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
    #2 of 3 Thunking... by nomad56 Jun 26, 2004 (4:26 pm)
    It is your rear sway bar bushings. They are worn and the noise is coming from the sway bar. My buddy and I spent a few hours hunting this problem down, after it perplexed us. ...and several other Avy drivers. We subsequently fixed it for several people that had spent money on struts and tower mounts, etc @ the dealer. If you want to be sure, simply remove the sway bar and tets drive the car. The "thunk" will be gone! -nomad56-

-------------------------------------------------
    I hope you can find this and respond with follow up information nomad56. I must have posted the original question in the wrong place and the thread has been closed. I've checked with my local Toyota dealer parts desk. They have 2 rubber bushings that connect "somewhere around the center of the swaybar" (to the body I think) Are you saying that replacing these two $14 bushings fixed the problem for you?
    YES! Those wear over time. We usually do the connecting links (about $60/pr) as well, to eliminate ALL play in the sway bar. NOTE: Check your sway bar for "wear" where the bushing will wrap the bar. This should be a snug lubricated fit. FYI: Poly bushings are preferred. Try ENERGY suspension, usually available through local parts stores. Poly here will not effect ride comfort like it would in the control arms. It will only help reduce body roll... and probably not enough to notice if this is the only Poly piece being introduced. -nomad56-
  • danbethdanbeth Member Posts: 17
    Is the rear sway bar just another term for stabilizer bar? I looked this up in my haynes manual becausr my in-laws '98 Avalon is having the same problems. There is a right and left stablizer bar. Haynes states to remove the bar and bushings, the heat insulator from the exhaust system must be removed first. Then detach the stabilizer bar links from the bar. Then unbolt the bar bushing retainer from the body. then remove the stabilizer bar right and then left. Did they leave anything out? Do you need an impact wrench to remove the nuts? What are the torque settings? Sometimes Haynes leaves some of the necessary detail out of the repair procedure. Also before you test drive without the bar in place, is there anything that needs to be secured or tightened in this area? Thank you. danbeth
    Danbeth:

If that is how the Haynes manual describes it, go to another manaul as it sounds confusing unless you can acutally see it. To my knowledge, and I have done this, the sway bar goes horizontally across the car. There is one front and one rear. The center bushing and brackets attach the sway bar to the chassis and the outer links attach the bar somewhere to the suspension, in the Avalon's case, to the ball joint area or somewhere around the bottom of the strut area. I cannot remember exactly right now. But...you do not have to take the bar out or away. All you have to do is loosen the brackets, take off the rubber pieces, put on new pieces with plenty of grease so they don't squeak and tighten them back up. It is relatively simple. The torque settings for the bolts are very low, I cannot remember exactly although it is in the manual, but I remember them being really low, so three finger tight is all I remember doing.

Nomad can guide you through the rest.

abfisch
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    The '98 should be similar to a '96.

Rear stabilizer bushing retainers: 14 ft-lb (19 N-m)
    These are the retainers that go around the bar - not at the ends.

Rear stabilizer bar links: 47 ft-lb (64 N-m)
    fndlyfmrflr #447:

Thanks for taking the time to look these up or recount them in your head for the forum. Very nice for you to do this. I am between bases in an Army move, and my manuals are in storage. Nothing like having the exact spefications. I am all for that.

Thanks again for your contributions.

"Feed the forum"

abfisch
  • novrainnovrain Member Posts: 10
    Hi all, I ordered two rear sway bar bushings for my 96 avalon from a local Autozone. The are made by Energy Suspension with parts number #8.5120, which matches what I found on their website. The problem is that I found these bushings are shorter (about 1/4") than the factory ones. Too bad my new PU bushings don't fit tightly in the brackets! Has anyone else had this problem before? Thanks!
  • tinkerguytinkerguy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 (built in 97) XL and I ordered 4 new KYB struts which I will install. The replacement documentation does not show the rubber isolators (seats) that are in the original strut assemblies.

Does anyone have experience with replacement struts, and while I would think isolators are a good idea (against noise), is that a dealer-only part? Anyone riding without them?
    TINKERGUY:

DO NOT RIDE WITHOUT THEM, UNLESS YOU LIKE TO HEAR METAL TO METAL SOUNDS. Call Energy Suspension and see if they have PU bushing replacements and/or order the part from Toyota and replace when you do the struts. You will need a realignment, 4 wheel also, I suppose you know. If you want to "tinker", then order the F and R sway bar bushings and lower control arm bushing from Energy Suspension as well. Big difference in sway in cornering while changing the ride/vibration very little.

abfisch
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    I ve started to hear noise from the front end which proably is the strut mount. The struts itself appear to be fine and the mounts also appear to be fine but the noise particularly over pot holes is noticable. any one have experince with changing these and the cost associated with these. the car has 150k kms. I couldnt think of any thing else that could be causing this.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    i had the same problem on my 98, replacement with so called modified strut mounts and alignment was around $440 US.. problem is the noise started again after about a year when warranty ran out, dealer would not help with another repair...he did say it was a "nuisance" problem and posed no safety/handling problem, also if you plan on keeping the car for a while you might want to replace the front struts, if needed, at the same time, since the labor is common to both repairs you might save some money
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Have a 2000 Avalon XLS with 70k miles. Since we purchased it at 46k miles it has bounced and swayed around the roads like a road barge. Had new Tokico shocks/struts installed this week and it has made a huge difference! It did cost me $400, if you plan to keep your Avalon it is a good move. Now we can ride adults in the back without fearing dragging the muffler off over speed bumps.
  • avfan1avfan1 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned this car for around 1 1/2 years and recently noticed a strange metallic noise coming from front left suspension, while trying to make left turn only and the noise comes only on uneven road/pavement or while parking a car after making a left turn. This morning after taking the car to dealership, I was made aware of the left front strut coil spring problem(documented by Toyota) and needs replacement. Has anyone,who owns 04 avalon experienced the same problem?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Forum member *abfisch* is the resident '04 and prior suspension expert but the struts are a well known weak spot in Avalons built prior to the '05 makeover. Replacement is the only answer. Scrolling thru many prior posts you will find brake pad problems also, along with the struts. Still a great car for the money, I'm on my second one, an '03 XL. :)
  • avfan1avfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Dealer fixed the problem by replacing the coil spring assembly on the left front strut and the noise has stopped as of now and the ride is much smoother.
  • jaylapitanjaylapitan Member Posts: 1
    How's everyone doing...

I just bought a 2006 Toyota Avalon and picked up some 20" wheels and wider tires for it. I want to drop it a few inches but can't seem to find a dealer that has a suspension kit for it. Does anyone know who I can call or a website I can get on to order?
    Also, does anyone know of a place to order a mesh grill for it?

Thanks

Jay Lapitan
    Jay:

With all do respect, I think you choose the wrong car for alot of modifications, especially in the "sports mode". Putting those size tires on this car, would seem to make the ride uncomfortable if not unbearable for most. This jumps the wheel size 3" more, which would bring your sidewall serires to 40 or 35. Again, the suspension is not going to respond to those kind of tires and will set you up for an unpleasant ride or worse. I am sure your new Avalon is very nice. Hopefully you got the Touring edition if you wanted it a little more sporty. Although, there are no complete tuning kits that I know about, if you wait a couple of years, I am sure there will be aftermarket improvements like there are in the older model(mine). Look at the Tokico and KYB site for strut/dampers and Energy Suspension site for changing the rubber bushing in your suspension. Those alone will change your ride considerably without makiing it too harsh. Hopefully you don't have to drive your new Avalon in the snow.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • richie182richie182 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 XLS and like the car a lot. My one complaint: at highway speed (70-75), the card floats and bounces over rougher pavement. (This complaint has been voiced before in the Consumer Reports review.) I bought the 05 XLS rather the the Touring model (with the stiffer suspension) because I wanted the traction control and VSC, not available on the 05 Touring. My question: can the shocks be replaced (maybe with the Touring shocks) to stiffen the suspension and give the card greater stability? Or are the shocks just part of a larger problem with this too soft suspension.
    Alas:

I was in the same situation in 02, with limited choices. Since I am not an electronics type of person, I took (with experience) the lesser, XL, and got it to the vehicle I wanted in the first place, but could or did not want to offer.

You would have to check with aftermarket manufacuturers and see. But I am 85% sure, that the VSC and traction control, are electronically modulated and are not intergral to the dampers themselves, although there may be a place where the sensors for the VSC/TC attach to. Good aftermarkets should provide this attachment point to the outer core of the damper housing.

That being said, again, check with the companies or Toyota itself, if you can get a straight answer. That being said again, stay away from high pressure monotube shocks for this application and use premium twin tube low pressure shocks(TokicoHP(Blue) and KYB come to mind). Koni, is coming out with an advanced strut, called the Koni FSD, but there is not application for the Toyota Solara/Camry/Avalon (all the same number unit) yet.

I have TokicoHP's on my 02 for the past 65K and they have performed flawlessly with an excellent compromise between handling and comfort. To give you an idea, a best friend who is a car collector, stated it is much much better but he would like it still a little bit more firmer!!! Since he is a sports car enthsiast, I am relatively sure it is correct for a daily driver now.

Good luck

abfisch
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    I have a '95 Avalon with 170,000 miles on the clock with original shocks/struts. I would appreciate advice on replacement, i.e., Toyota products vs good-quality after-market parts. How much should this cost?
    I have commented many time before on this. Will not subject the readers to too much this time.

The OEM shocks are inferior. Get either TokicoHP(Blues) or KYB GR2's. These are premium Low pressure twin tube gas shocks. Much better in comfort and performance than stock without harshness.

Shocks should be under or about $400 and installation and alignment should be another $300 to $400. Total $800. Get new strut mounts from Toyota too.

Good luck

abfisch
  • retiredretired Member Posts: 11
    Bought XLS 4/6/04 which at 5/16/06 has 24200. Been hearing scraping sound from front end for about a year now that the service dept didn't hear. Now today everyone hears scraping sound.

Dealer tells me a service notice indicates front springs must be replaced when such sounds are heard. Yikes!

Can anyone tell me, absent add'l information forthcoming from Toyota, what are the mechanical issues present here- design flaw, assembly issues in Kentucky, etc? May I expect future additional problems? Is this just a spring issue, or a McPhearson strut issue?

Given Toyota's reputation for building sound autos, especially Avalons, this comes as quite as surprise, especially when the service people, who suddenly have become less polite, can't or won't tell me why front suspension springs cause such scraping sounds.
    Just discovered TSB:NHTSA Bulletin #:00204, Mfg date 20041202, listed on MyCarStats.com which reads: suspension: front: springs:coil springs. "The customer may hear a knock or rubbing sound from the front suspension, especially when making turns." I'm unable to obtain additional information, i.e., cause and effects full contents, without buying a subscription.

Would appreciate any additional insight readers of this forum may provide.........

Thanks.
    Oh..... they usually don't, that is why. For a 2004 to have the springs do anything remotely like that is, probably on the less than 1% side. More likely, with 24K on it, it is either the front brakes have something rusty on them or a premature CV joint in on its way, or though less likely. Is the noise when you apply the brakes or all the time???? Is it only over bumps or whenever the wheel is turning. Do you live in a snowy climate?? The suspension/strut mounts are also something that clunksand is prone to make noises for for such low mileage I don't think this would be high on my list either.

abfisch
    Thanks abfish for responding. I'd thought I'd peke your interest when it came to front suspension matters.

The rubbing sound is a constant that is a bit louder when I turn, and the rubbing sound started, ever so slightly, over 1 year ago, at about 9000 miles.

So why is the local dealership telling me that the to respond to the TSB, the springs will have to be replaced to eliminate the rubbing sound.

What's rubbing?
    They make a lowering spring kit by a company called Intrax which fits early model years Avalon's from 95-99 and 00-05. I have no experience with them, nor am I interested in applying them to my vehicle but I was just wondering if someone has installed them, what difference in handling and ride quality them make, if they ever bottom out and if a camber adjustment as wheel as an alighment needed to be done on install.

abfisch
    Here I am, all ready to replace struts, front rotors and pads, after having been quoted a price by two independent shops, with whom I have dealt and trust. They each want about $1500 total.

Just for the heck of it, I called the local Toyota dealership here in Manasassas, and the service guy sounded downright surprised that I would even THINK of replacing struts, even though I've got 171,000 miles on my '95 Avalon. He says they do so so infrequently that they don't even carry struts in their inventory!
    The DEALER wants, however, $2000 just for the strut job, should I insist or actually need it done!
    I need some good advice, guys. I AM taking the car into the dealership for a $45 look-see at the struts first... What are your thoughts, please ??
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Wait for forum member *abfisch* to reply as he has extensive mods to his Avalon suspension. But it sounds a little high to me. And the struts are available. As an educated guess... no struts could possibly last 171k and still work properly. They are like shock absorbers and wear out in time and mileage. You need an alignment also. Pads and rotors.. if the rotors have been turned twice (or possibly just once)... they are probably done. Replace them. And the pads of course. My .02 :)
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Changed struts,strut mounts,some rubber bushings,front
    drive axles on a 94 Lexus ES300 a couple of years ago.Best
    price for struts and mounts was on Ebay $180 for 4 KYB
    momo max.
    Did research and found the rule of thumb being shocks last
    about 40k and struts 80k,the Lexus rode good but rode much
    better with the new struts,(replaced at 100k).
    oohhhhhhhhh. I would think that that is kinda pricey!!!! And the Avalon Struts are the same as the Camry/Solara too. Look at the part number. Same part number.

My advice, and there is some opinion here, is buy either TokicoHP or KYB GR2 struts. You should be able to get them for about $400 or so. It should be another $300 in labor and you are probably going to next the new strut tower hardware(rubber) from Toyota plus a 4 wheel alignment. The shocks mentioned above are LOW PRESSURE gas twin tube design, much different than the OEM standard on the car. You should notice a very very big difference, in handling ,cornering, braking, and a slight decrease, not a lot in ride comfort without any more floating at highway speeds.

For the brakes, front rotors premium $80 each and pads no more than $80. Labor costs vary and the rust needs to come off if you live in snow country, most importantly.

abfisch
    Just saw your reply today, so thanks very much. By "strut tower hardware", do you mean strut "boots" ? If so, I've seen them priced at $14.20 each..... And, do you also mean "strut mounts" ? I've seen them priced at $67.90 each(front pair), and $44.65 each (rear pair)...

My preliminary look-see at prices shows the following"

(4) strut boots @ 14.20 each, ............$56.80

(2) front struts @ $94.02 each, .........$188.04

(2) rear struts @ $71.46 each,...........$142.92

(2) front strut mounts @ $67.90 each, ...$135.80

(2) rear strut mounts @ $44.65 each, ....$89.30

Total for strut equipment,..... $556.06

This was for all KYB equipment, and should I expect to need ALL of this, considering the 172,000 miles on my '95 Avalon ? With a quoted $125 four-wheel alignment and your estimate of an additional $300-ish labor charge, I'm now at $981.06....Does this seem reasonable so far? Phil
    Yes.... Albeit a little on the high side ($125/4 wheel alignment is a bit steep when all they have to do is put it on the machine, loosen a couple of things,get it within tolerances, etc.) but yes, it sounds in the ball park. Get all the hardward, mounts and replace them at the same time.

At the same time, you could, with that high mileage, replace the sway bar bushings, an easy thing to do yourself, but you could have them do that as well. They are not very expensive, and OEM are made of rubber and deteriorate after 70K or so. Either the rubber OEM, or polyurethane from Energy Suspension with an generous amount of grease(blue marine) will give you handling that you would not imagine possible in that car. On the other side, the polyurethane bushing do transmit a slight amount of harshness to the cabin, but deform less under stress and sway and are not suspectible to dry rot like rubber OEM. They make control arm bushings as well but I did not find them to be as notable versus the sway arm bushings. There you will find a whole lot of difference.

abfisch
  • Elliot UdellElliot Udell Member Posts: 83
    My mechanic found that the front struts of my 98 Avalon xls were leaking and he replaced them. I now notice that the quality of the ride has changed. I feel every bump on the highway and when I go on the expressway I feel every thump, thump, thump every couple of hundred feet. Could this a cause of a new strut. What should I tell the mechanic?
  • sly50689sly50689 Member Posts: 1
    :)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-GR-2-GR2-STRUTS-SHOCKS-TOYOTA-AVALON-95-to-03- _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQhashZitem160029517147QQihZ006QQitemZ160029517- 147QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

here's a link for 4 KYB GR-2 (2 front, 2 rear) for only $218. S&H is about $30
  • jtabaszjtabasz Member Posts: 6
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but please take a moment to consider the suspension questions I have been living with since buying my '98 Avalon in 01.
    The vehicle had 60 profile tires on it when I bought it, the OEMs were 65s. With the 60s on it, the car would readily bottom out on a parking lot speed bump at anything more than walking speed. The 65 profile yokohamas I have put on since have somewhat aleviated this problem.
    I have always been told that springs are what determine ride height and shocks only dampen bounce and reduce wheel hop. So from the speed bump issue I describe, do I need springs? THe struts are original as far as I know, so they are at least broken in if not useless. (170K miles).
    I think I am willing to spend 1K on the car if it gets me a stiffer ride in the turns, but not sure if adding another $600 for springs is reasonable at this odo reading.
    What are your thoughts?
  • jtabaszjtabasz Member Posts: 6
    Do you remember where you got these prices?
  • steve326asteve326a Member Posts: 58
    I assume the OEMs were P205/65SR15 and you replaced them with P215/60SR15.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Did he replace the mounts and or the rubber parts between
    the spring and the metal part,the strut mounts are bearings
    that wear out with the strut.check your air pressure in
    your tires.