Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• engine39engine39 Member Posts: 4
    I was quoted 33,488 on an eddied bluer I/heated seats, 5.4 engine, and 3.55 axle. With the 1500 rebate this comes to 31,998 plus tax, title. The msrp is 38,215. Is this the best deal I can expect?
    The dog-gone spell check screwed my message
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    We bought a new EB two weeks ago for invoice minus half the dealer holdback (about $650). Use the facilities here at Edmunds to figure out what the invoice and holdback should be. The deal you described sounds pretty close to invoice to me (I didn't do the math).

BTW- if you're trading in your old vehicle, expect the dealer to give you a horrible trade-in. They do that to offset the loss of profit on the new Expy. They'll then make up for it when they sell your trade-in. Good Luck!
  • basshymanbasshyman Member Posts: 8
    I know I have seen several post about people not being able to work the CC correctly. Let me see if I can tell you how to get it to work correctly.

1. Turn the little collie wheel for the fan all the way up.
    2. Then either put the thermostat at the temperature you want or hit the automatic button and then set the temperature
    3. Then press the Max/AC or Floor or whatever button you want to choose at the bottom and your fine.

Then when the temperature is 40 in the vehicle and you want it to be 74 when the vehicle warms up and the temperature inside reaches 74 the fan will slow down, but until then the fan will run on high. Also, if the engine is cold the automatic fan won't even run until the engine heats up and the fan will run on high until the interior temperature reaches the temperature you selected.

Apparently the dealers don't even know how to operate their own equipment.

Believe me this will help.
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    <<I know I have seen several post about people not being able to work the CC correctly. Let me see if I can tell you how to get it to work correctly.

1. Turn the little collie wheel for the fan all the way up.>>
    If you turn the little wheel up manually it will maintain high blower even after the set temperature is reached.
    <<2. Then either put the thermostat at the temperature you want or hit the automatic button>>
    When you hit the automatic button the fan speed will be controlled automatically and step 1 was not needed.
    <<3. Then press the Max/AC or Floor or whatever button you want to choose at the bottom and your fine.>>
    If you just press the automatic button and set the temperature, the control will select air outlets automatically, except for defrost. You need to push the defrost button manually, if needed. Pushing automatic also gives automatic fan and temperature adjustment.

<<Apparently the dealers don't even know how to operate their own equipment>>
    I think the sales people are trained to give confident answers, even if they are wrong, rather than to admit that they don't know some things and find out the correct answer. If you want to know how something works, read the owner's manual or ask on Edmunds.com.
  • fivofivo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 99 BE 2WD Espy. that has a problem with the driver side rear signal light. The signal in the front and the one in the mirror works, but the one in the rear does not. I have had the bulb replaced but the new bulb does not work either. A on dealer garage told me that it was a electric problem. I didn't find any posts regarding this problem but was wondering if anyone else had run into this at all.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    basshyman has it right. There is no need to turn the fan all the way up at the start of the procedure however. Basically, whatever you touch last takes control. If you just push automatic, then the ducts and fan speeds are controlled by the vehicle. If you then select any of the other duct buttons, the fan is still automatically controlled. If you touch the wheel, the fan is then manually controlled, as indicated by the fan icon on the display. Not the easiest system to use. Give me the old fashioned rotary knobs any day.
  • havasu1havasu1 Member Posts: 3
    These issues can be confusing. By limiting the 4.6 2WD model to the 3.31 ratio makes this an issue for this combo ONLY. All others have a choice of 3.55 or 3.73. I have owned 12 4X4's, with many ratios. No easy answer but the tire diameter has a play here. The 16" and 17" wheels are meanless. Its the large tire size that is around 31" to 32" diameter, the 3.73 axle is the clear choice for towing or use in a hilly area. Highway MPG will not vary much. City MPG may increase as the engine and Expy reaches cruising speed faster with less throttle.
    For an axle change, find a proven rear end shop. A new set of gears will run about $220 plus labor. A deal would be a $550 price, total. The spedo must be reclabrated and any speedo shop can do this.
    My 4.6 2Wd is a little long legged but I drive it in the desert, at 19 or so MPG.
  • ojcojc Member Posts: 31
    Hello: just entering the suv market and wondering how does one attach a baby seat in an suv, with the rear tether??
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    I have a 97 Ford Expedition. It is a 4.6. Has anyone installed the K&N air intake in their expedition.Do you get better miles per gallon? Performance? Power?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    K&N make no claims for better gas mileage at their web site. There's more discussion at K & N Air Filters - Bolt on Power?

Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards
  • wdc783wdc783 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know of a dealer in the southeast that they would recommend for getting a real good price on a new EB? How much below invoice could i expect to get a new EB for?
  • jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    Bought a used 1998 espy in November. Have not used the 4WD until the last snowfall in NJ. I didn't feel the 4WD kick in. Took it to another dealer and the 4WD was not working. Had to replace the axle actuator ??? Bought an extended warranty, covered it. Hopefully this is the only problem I will have.
    ID getting 11mpg in mixed driving, only 16 on the highway. I have the 5.4 L.
  • jpmallonjpmallon Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Ford plans on dropping the F-150 Lightning engine into the Expedition anytime soon?
    Haven't heard one way or the other, but if they did, it would probably only be in the 4X2 as it is in the F150. I would be a customer if they did it in 4X4. They do have another option for power plants, and that is the 300hp Navigator motor, but they probably wouldn't use that because it is one of the ways the Lincoln differentiates itself.
  • jeff_8494jeff_8494 Member Posts: 1
    I haven't heard of an SVT Expedition either, but the dealership that I bought my expy from had a Roush Package Expy on the lot. It was basically a wheels/tires package, a little lower to the ground, a reworked exhaust, and a ground effects package. It looked good, but I am sure that the performance would be short of the powerplant in the SVT F150.
  • sac10851sac10851 Member Posts: 1
    Just a little safety info on those of you who have the Firestone A/T 265/70 R17 tires on your Expedition. I just bought my 2000 Eddie Bauer 4x4 last September. After a month or so, I started having alignment problems. I took it in to the dealer to have it fixed. The problem was worse when I got it back.

I took it back in again and was told by the service supervisor that the belts in my two front tires had separated and were slipping inside the tire. I was told that this was not the recall problem they have been having with Firestones. In the recalls, the tread was separating from tire.

The dealership wanted to replace them with new Firestones and said that Ford would not pay for 4 new other brand tires. After a little complaining and asking to speak to the dealership manager, I had all my tires replaced with BF Goodrich Long Trail tires for free.
    When we bought our new 2001 EB a few weeks ago, I made it clear to the dealer I did not want the Firestone tires on the vehicle. They refused to do anything until I made a return visit and spoke to the sales manager. I was only able to get them to give me $50 per tire for the Firestones once I bought new tires.

I had to order some new Michelin LTXs and wait a week for them. They were well worth the wait. Slightly stiffer sidewall, so the ride is a little stiffer, but the steering is much more precise than with the Firestones. It cost about $350 out-of-pocket, but it was worth every penny.

My recommendation for potential Expy buyers is to walk out the door unless the dealer is willing to install new non-Firestone tires of YOUR choice.

I don't understand Ford's stubborn position of not working with their customers on this tire issue. Basically this is a safety issue, and Ford can't keep their heads stuck in the sand on this one.

Congrats to sac10851 for sticking to his guns and not giving up.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    My dealer swapped out the stones for any tire of my choice put up no resistance. Wanted the Michelins, but was a 2mo wait due to the firestone fiasco. Ended up with goodyears. I bought below invoce as well. Very happy with the RTs we have. 17" on a 2000 EB 4x4
  • purpur Member Posts: 3
    I WAS AN OWNER OF A 2000 EXPEDITION EDDIE BAUER, BUT TOTALED IT LAST WEEK. I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING TO BUY A NEW ONE, BUT WAS WONDERING IF IT IS WORTH MY TIME TO LOOK AT A TAHOE OR TOYOTA SEQUOIA. HOW DO THESE COMPARE? (SORRY IF THIS IS A REPEAT TOPIC)
  • ken129ken129 Member Posts: 2
    Ford has a free baby seat tether anchorage kit. It took about 4 weeks to order, and our dealer installed it for free since it was a safety item. It's basically a small ring that bolts to the floor behind the seat on our 98 Expy. The tether strap hooks to this ring. We've had it for several months now, and it really tightens up the car seat installation versus the middle lap belt alone. Not a very elegant solution, but it is a truck, after all.
  • ken129ken129 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 XLT 4x4, 5.4 engine, 3.73 LS rear has developed a slight drivetrain shuddering in A4WD mode when I'm starting a turn from a stop or backing out of a parking space. The shuddering feels like tire scrub on dry pavement - didn't think that should happen in A4WD mode. The shuddering stops if I'm in 2WD mode. My dealer in NJ says that the front and rear differentials are "fighting each other". Sounds like BS to me - doesn't the ControlTrac system have a center diff? Have had it to the same dealer twice - both times they say that the 4wd system checks OK - warranty runs out in a couple of months, so do I have any case against Ford if the whole 4x4 system crashes after that?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    No, Control Trac does not have a centre differential. The vibration is most likely caused by the partial engagement of the front axle. Newer Control Trac systems have new software (which totally disengages the front axle) that corrects this. That's why you don't see a 2WD mode any longer in the Explorers, etc.

I'm curious, were you always running in Auto 4WD mode? Or 2WD mode? You wrote "developed", so it seems to me as if it just started happening.

Good luck

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • unity4unity4 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2001 Expy EB with the 4.6L engine and with "no kidding" only 247 miles on the vehicle, it left us on the side of the road. Dealers service verdict--it dropped the #8 valve. Now dealer wants to replace the engine. I feel strongly they should replace this new vehicle with another Expy. I paid for a factory installed engine and that's what I expect. Can anyone offer any advice or similar incidents? Am I being unreasonable? Appreciate any help.
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    <<I paid for a factory installed engine and that's what I expect.>>
    You got a factory installed engine. Now that engine is bad and it will be replaced under the warranty that came with it. You are getting what you paid for. Do you expect a new vehicle every time something goes wrong? Do you think the factory scraps a vehicle if it finds something wrong in its inspections or does it replace the bad part?
  • jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 98 Expy XLT, was wondering how difficult it is to install fog lights? I am not that handy with cars, so was wondering if I could do it by myself?
    Major engine failure at less than 300 miles?!!! I'm with you unity on getting a new vehicle. I would firmly request a new vehicle. I may do no good but I would try. I believe some states have a regulation that requires the dealer to exchange a vehicle if you have less than 300 miles or 1 week of ownership before a major failure. There is no doubt in my mind that factory installation is better than a service dept. job. If you are forced to go with the local engine change out, you can expect a whole host of accompanying problems to arise from someone mucking around in the engine compartment in a major way. If your dealer won't stand behind the product(replace the entire vehicle) you will probably be able to pursue the lemon law method within the year. Heck even wal-mart will exchange a 15.00 retail good without question. You should expect better when paying 35k for something. Good luck
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    When my wife and I started looking for a new vehicle, we never would have guessed that it would come down to an Expedition. Now, however, we are heavily leaning towards purchasing a new 4X4 XLT. Any suggestions from anyone ... any recommendations on options. Should I have an aftermarket stereo installed?

How about the 4.6L vs. the 5.4L? What decrease in gas mileage could I expect by upgrading to the 5.4L? What gas mileage have owners seen?

Thanks!
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    While reading through the manual a few days ago, I read that at about 65,000 miles I must change my PCV valve. They said that it would be done at no cost to me. But when I went to the dealer, they said that they dont change PCV valves unless I serviced my car at the same time. Is this service necessary? What would happen if I dont get it replaced? Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
    2000 EB 4x4 5.4L gets avg 14mpg around daily drive 50% interstate, 50% city. Recent trip got 16.5mpg interstate only.
    My favorite option in the expy is the premium sound system and subwoofer. It really has great sound. If you don't decide to do the aftermarket thing consider a factory premium system like in the EB versions.
  • kd7kd7 Member Posts: 2
    aminth posted a comment that by joining something called "experimental aircraft association" at eaa.org, he was able to get access to ford's x-plan pricing. quoted a seemingly incredible deal from ford on an expedition xlt conv/5.4, etc, 28.4k out the door, 2.9% for 60mo.

looked into this briefly, and sure enough, eaa.org has a big ford logo on the page. didn't go much further. anybody else look at this???

looking to replace 95 explorer with something with a 3d seat. wife likes tahoe, so do i, got offered a "costco buying club" price for a tahoe LS/leather/conv/3d seat for invoice+500 in los gatos CA. does this sound good vis-a-vis Edmunds TMV??

ken in SF
  • havasu1havasu1 Member Posts: 3
    The 28.5K price may be about right. Apparently Ford may have moved to $2K rebate now. With few options this is possible. Look at a major newspaper ad on Saturday for the one or two only loss leaders.
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Member Posts: 209
    If you check the past posts you'll see a strong
    leaning to the 5.4 If you get the 4.6 you'll probably find yourself hitting the gas hard which isn't great for longevity or gas mileage. The 5.4 cost adder is very reasonable to boot.

Lastly, if you haven't looked at the new Toyota Sequoia you should check it out just to have piece of mind with your Expy purchase.

cheers
  • mprostmprost Member Posts: 2
    We finally got to meet with the regional ford rep. regarding the vibration at 65-70 mph. He told the dealership to replace torque converter and then offered us an extended 5 yr./75,000 mile warranty for free. We got the car back yesterday and the vibration is even worse, it shakes so badly now that my kids faces bounce back and forth when in the car and my 4 yr. old daughter cries whenever we have to go somewhere because she says she's going to get sick. As for the A4WD shuddering we too have had that same problem. It feels like we are going in and out of 4WD -- dealership can't replicate the problem, so can't fix it. We are now considering mediation with ford to get them to buy the vehicle back from us.
  • dscobbdscobb Member Posts: 1
    I have been told that Ford has a problem with oil leaks from the head gasket on 4.6 engines. My 99 Expedition has developed a leak at 45,000 miles. Since there is no official recall yet, has anyone with this problem been able to get Ford to pay for part or all of this repair ($900.00) on a vehicle that is out of warranty.
  • ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone explain the different benefits of having the 3.55 or 3.73 limited slip differentials.
  • linzilinzi Member Posts: 5
    jjmd1
    I installed a set of 98 Expedition fog lights on my 1998 XLT. I bought them from www.usautoparts.com for $129.US. The light installation is easy enough as the lamp harnessed are right there at the inside of the bumper. However, Ford is pretty clever- The headlight/fog
    module does not have a necessary contact on it ,required to energize the fog lights. Therefore
    you will have to replace that light module- for the one that would have been installed, had the fog lights been factory installed. Except for one
    extra contact and a little LED that lights when you turn the Headlight switch to the ON position,
    and pull to energize the fog lights - the modules
    are IDENTICAL. To buy the replacement module would have cost me $115.CAN plus 14% tax. Therefore purchased a 1997-1999 HAYNES Expedition
    Repair Manual #36059. I removed the module as per Chap.12-7. I got extra internal light circuit module diagrams from my Ford dealer. I then installed an extra On/Off switch on the dash just below the headlight module. If this is too
    difficult to tackle, you might find it easier to
    buy and install the required module. Linzi
    Let's talk about Limited Slip first. As compared to an "open axle" (non-limited slip), a Limited Slip axle will provide better traction in slippery conditions, as it won't let one wheel spin if that wheel is on ice or in mud. If you go 4-wheeling, a Limited Slip can only be bettered by what's known as a "locker", which actually locks both rear wheels together, not allowing any spin, even if one wheel is up in the air. Lockers are expensive and only used by hard-core 4-wheelers.

As far as axle ratios are concerned, a higher numeric ratio (lower gear ratio) axle (e.g. the 3:73) gives you better accelleration and provides more torque during towing or off-road situations than a higher ratio axle (the 3:55). However, the trade-off is that you will likely get slightly worse gas mileage with the 3:73, as your engine will be operating at a higher RPM at a given speed.

I chose the 3:73 axle for our EB because we live in Colorado and the extra "grunt" is nice when taking a drive into the mountains.
    go to www.stylinconcepts.com. In their Ford Pickup/SUB Accessories catalog, page 2, they list
    the Fender Flares for the Expedition as Part# F1010, priced at $269.95
    Go to www.stylinconcepts.com. In their Ford pickup/SUB Accessories catalog, page 5, they list
    the rear floor liner You,re looking for- as Part#
    F1015 for $129.95
  • pancaketomatopancaketomato Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 xlt expedition w/ the comfort/convenience group, sport group, and 6 cd changer, and paid 32,150 total plus tax--300 over invoice--and financed for 60 months @ 1.9%. By the way, edmunds invoice prices are a bit higher--perhaps they haven't been updated. There was a dealer incentive for the sport package that made the price 600 less.

I would recommend calling as many dealers as you can to see who has the vehicle you want in stock, and negotiate over the phone. If they have it in stock, they want to unload it. We did all our negotiating over the phone, and just picked up the car once we agreed to the price.
  • orozcoorozco Member Posts: 1
    I have have a 2000 Exped. XLT 8cyl 4.6L. I would appreciate any info on its possible engine problems or info on a site that would have up to date info.
    Thank You.
    Do you currently have a problem, or or you just wondering if there are any known problems?
    Well, it looks like we've decided on the 4X4 XLT with a 5.4L, comf/conv package, rev sensing, SAB, tow pkg, & limited slip. For whatever reason you cannot get the upgraded stereo system which comes with the Eddie Bauer in the XLT. I'm probably going to end up putting in an aftermarket system and adding a subwoofer which is made to fit where the factory sub fits.

Sounds like everyone's getting pretty good prices. My wife works for Ford, so we get the employee discount, but it's not a whole lot better than what everyone else seems to be getting! (It's around 4% under invoice.)

My wife currently drives an Acura Integra, so I'm sure she'll be shocked when she fills it up for the first time, but we are fully aware of the change in gas mileage!

Thanks everyone for your input!
    Someone mentioned that the invoice price is less than what Edmunds says. It is, but I think it's only because the invoices that Ford dealerships have do not have the dealer holdback included.

I.e. the base price for the Expedition XLT 4X4 is 32,860 retail, 29,106 invoice incl. 3% holdback, 28,120 (or so) invoice not incl. holdback.
    The Mach stereo from the EB has never been available in the XLT. It is one of the ways they try to make the EB a premium package (both in Explorer and Expedition). Crutchfield sells subwoofers that fit right into the rear cut out where the EB's sub is.
  • pancaketomatopancaketomato Member Posts: 3
    Is there any way to make my garage door opener work with the overhead console? It looks like the console is designed to work with a different type of garage door opener--mine is a Sears brand. When I press it in it doesn't reach the opener's button.

Also, I read that Ford can provide free installation of a tether strap, but my dealer knows nothing about that. Can someone tell me if they've gotten a tether strap installed in their Expedition?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
  • etjlaetjla Member Posts: 3
    After you strap the remote into the console with the velcro that came with the Expedition, you will take the 5 or so little blocks that look like legos and size them to fit so that they touch your opener button when the console is closed. You must attatch that stack of blocks onto the right hole so it hits the opener button when you press in on the console. I have a sears opener and it works fine.
  • jetrangerjetranger Member Posts: 1
    1997 ford expedition xlt loaded front.rear ht/ac lowlow miles 39xxx (no big deducts like the 99,xxx models)cd, tow package,new tires metallic green. priced to sell $21,900 or trade for 95/96 corvette conv. www.rhodesrecords.com owned by nashville recording artist. toll free 1-877-532-1705 southern/central Illinois.