Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2005+ Transmission Questions

tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
The Lexus 300 and 330 both have had throttle and transmission hesitations problems and complaints for the past three or four years.

Do these problems also exsist on the 05 Avalon?

Do they exsist on the Camry?

Comments

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    Read all the posts on the 2005 Avalon board. The answer is yes, some do. Avalon now has a 5 speed transmision similar to the Lexus. Not many, as a percentage, seem to be problems...but if you have one, it is a problem.

Don't know about Camry. Again, read all posts, ask a question when you have one. :)
  • will16will16 Member Posts: 21
    I have had 2 RX300, a 1999 and a 2002, and did not have any hesitaton problems with the transmission. I traded for a 06 Avalon and it also is problem free
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    The Engine Hesitation discussion "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)" has been almost exclusively about the Toyota/Lexus hesitation problems. The Avalon is included. Toyota has issued a TSB for all of the affected models, although reports on the effectiveness of the TSB in eliminating the problem are mixed.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Thanks for the info...

This problem has exsisted for 2 or 3 years...how come they can't fix it?
    One of the theories discussed in the other forum is that the fix could effect fuel efficiency and/or emissions. This means Toyota cannot properly address the problem without violating EPA standards.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    More likely the CARB emission standards since those are more strict.
    I just have a hard believing this problem has existed for 2 or 3 years in the Lexus and other Toyota 5 speed cars.

How difficult can this be to correct?

Don’t they care about their customers?
    that somewhere back in about 2000 Toyota discovered the fuel economy could be increased and emissions reduced the more often the vehicle was run in the highest gear seemingly appropriate.

So, when you relax the pressure on the gas pedal the system says "ahah, he's through accelerating and now just wants to cruise along at this road speed". Or if you happen to fully release the gas pedal the ECU decides that what you really want is to coastdown to a lower speed and shifts into a higher gear to allow the engine to turn at idle RPM or close thereby.

Both of these actions would undoubtedly contribute to better fuel economy and lower emissions. Possibly making the difference between the vehicle being rated as conforming to ULEV emissions standards or not.

But there was a fly in the ointment.

Transaxles began to fail prematurely due to the need to quickly downshift if the driver suddenly changed he/her mind and now wanted to accelerate. The transaxle has just upshifted, and now the transaxle must (immediately) downshift with the hydraulic pressure having been depleted and the engine now at ~idle.

With the engine RPM and torque now climbing rapidly and the transaxle downshift clutches not fully and firmly seated there will be an inordinate level of clutch wear.

What to do??

Go back to not upshifting and the EPA and/or CARB fines might be enormous.
    And the PR....??

Oh, if we convert these vehicles to DBW, e-throttle, then we can delay the onset of engine torque until those clutches have time to fully and firmly seat.

Problem solved!

Just as Toyota has now stated publically, the engine hesitation is a design "feature" to protect the drivetrain.
  • avalonbadavalonbad Member Posts: 5
    my new 2006 avalon has a sporatic problem where it hesitates the motor spins revs to 4500rpms. if I punch the accelorator a couple of times it will drive itself 40 mph for 1/4 mile without touching accelorator again. I think it it something fualty in the pcm or sensors any thoughts any help appreciated. getting nowhere with dealership
    This situation has been discussed at length in the "Toyota Avalon 2005+" board. Read all the posts on that board and you will see. It will take a while but it will help you understand the problem. After reading, post again, on that board, and you will probably generate more information. This is an interesting subject.
  • roberturobertu Member Posts: 15
    Avalonbad, you posted "...if I punch the accelorator a couple of times it will drive itself 40 mph for 1/4 mile without touching accelorator again. I think it it something fualty in the pcm or sensors "

Methinks you got something "fualty" in right foot, bad. No punch accelerator. Driving smooth like buttah. Ahhh, change name from Avalonbad to Avalonice.

ROBERTU :blush:
    THANK YOU FOR THIS POST:

I was thinking of test driving and possibly buying a 06 Avalon. However, after hearing the stories on this web site, I think I’ll look elsewhere.

I believe this problem has existed on the Lexus and Avalon for quite some time. How come Toyota has not been able to resolve the problem?

Have people attempted to get satisfaction through the lemon law? If so, how did they make out?
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    In all fairness I think you owe it to yourself to test drive the Avalon and decide for yourself.
    Even though the new Avalon does have it's share of problems and quirks, I don't think any are that serious that they should be considered deal-breakers.
    In my opinion, many of these issues have been caused by over-computerization of the drivetrain controls, but that is true of almost every new car today. While it is possible that Toyota will resolve these with future firmware upgrades in a TSB, I'm not holding my breath. Toyota (dealers & Corporation) don't appear to be very receptive to owner's concerns.
    I'm not convinced that the new Avalon is clearly superior than the model it replaces. Perhaps a giant leap sideways as opposed to forward?
    While undeniabley much has been improved, some traditional "Avalon qualities" have been diminished or compromised, like ride quality, noise control, transmission behavior and perhaps quality control. However when compared with anything else out there in the price range, I believe it still stands heads and shoulders above the competition - especially in the engine department and the execution of the interior. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have traded my '02 Avalon for the new Avalon, however if I didn't have the old Avalon as a benchmark, then this Avalon would be my choice.
    The wildcard is the new Hyundai Azera. It appears to have been engineered using the qualities of the old Avalon as a starting point, and if the new Sonata is anything to go by, this may very well be the car to out-Avalon the Avalon.
    Thank you for your comments...

Did your 02 have transmission issues? Was it a five speed?

tx,

Mike
    My '02 (got it in September '01) had the "old" 4-speed which was so seamless and smooth in operation that you were never aware of what it was doing, which I guess is the whole point.
    I never had a single warranty issue, not one in the 4 years I had the car, nothing ever misbehaved, failed or broke or needed replacement, except normal wear and tear items. I did replace the junk OEM Continentals at 10,000 miles though, which cured the vibration and pulling problems I initially experienced. I really wish Toyota wouldn't put junk tires on their cars. I have replaced the ones on my '05 already.
    Why did I get the '05? My lease was up on the '02 and the power, looks and allure of the sensual '05 seduced me into temptation. It cost about the same for me to lease a new '05 as it would to have bought out the '02, so I decided to go with a new car with a new warranty.
    In retrospect, perhaps staying with the old girl would have been a wiser choice, which I guess proves that beauty and youth ain't everything!!! (Although I personally could do with a bit more of both!) :D
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    buying/leasing cars in these days of every tightening emmissions requirments and other safety laws requires ALOT of homework by the consumer inorder to understand what you're getting yourself into. what i'm talking about specifically, is the application of "drive by wire" technology inorder to meet certain emmissions requirments (such as ulev). no longer is the connection to the fuel injection system a direct link between the accelerator pedal and the f/i...it is controlled via an electric motor and a bunch of sensors controlled by an ecu...this system is interactive between the engine controls and the transmission. this is the majority of the driveability problems with the avalon (along with lots of other cars with dbw....the 05 mustang comes to mind).

one easy solution based on owners' experiences with the 05 avalon is to drop the shifter into 4th when driving around town. what this does is to override the mapped program for the shift points versus throttle application...this has gotten rid of the hesitation and slow/abrupt shifts that owners' have complained about. once on the hiway, shift into top gear.

once again, when buying a new car it pays to research what kind of throttle control the car has...as time goes on though, all cars will have the dbw technology...with time, the engineers should be able to make the system more seamless.
    thanks Justgreat. I will try the tip abouth 4th gear

the dealer suggested it was the drive by wire an I was just not happy with it's normal performance.

the problem is the car has two natures... a jeckle and hyde type nature

when it is normal the shift patttern is fine shfitng about 3k rpms

when bad the accelerator is literally hard to depress i give alittle more gas it will race free spinning to 4k rms or higher wihtout momentum a plate clicking sound will occur and a puff of smoke will burst of the tail pipe

this "fit" will occur for a period of time then return to normal behavior this does not occur every drive trip it is very sporratic. ironically I am not a lead foot ...friends joke I drive like grandpa

some times it will start driving itself wihtout me touching the accellerator for distances at 40 mi per hour

this just does not seem like normal drive by wire to me any thoughts. thanks again!
  • northwestohio1northwestohio1 Member Posts: 8
    Have had 2006 Avalon for three weeks now and enjoy the car. But, can hear a quiet,dull "thump" on normal acceleration. Dealer technician today suggested it was movement of the fuel in the fuel tank causing the sound. Since the sound also occurs on quick stops as the nose of the car moves down, his opinion sounds logical since the sound is more pronounced with a full tank.Am concerned that it was a mechanical or transmission problem. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Buddy:

I am not an expert on the new models, nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night. But....on a 30K car, I don't think that would be the answer that would first come to mind.

Make sure that everything, is secure in the trunk, including the jack, spare tire, etc first. Open a window, and see if you can detect where the sound is coming from. Trunk, suspension parts, etc. Sometime anti sway bars can creek, not thump though. Consider taking it to a wheel and axle type of place and let them drive it for 5 minutes for a second opinion.

I am not a big truster of dealerships, especially since they have not had to care of this new model for very long.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • roberturobertu Member Posts: 15
    "..a quiet,dull "thump" on normal acceleration."

Check spare tire, jack & lug nut wrench mounting. They can bounce around a little.
    Does the 2006 model still have the transmission problems which are associtate with the computer?
    Toyota will tell you that there are no problems with the transmission and that they are not making any changes. The 2006 is mechanically identical to the 2005. Some people seem to have the tranny issues while others do not.
    It is not a continual problem. It is intermittent so even if you are unlucky enough to have one that develops the problem, it will only bother you some of the time and not all of the time.
    It took Toyota nearly 3 years to correct the computer related transmission problems with the ES330 and the Camry, so I guess they will eventually come out with a fix for the Avalon, although who knows how long that will be.
  • indigoxlsindigoxls Member Posts: 3
    I have noticed the same thumping noise from the rear when accelerating from a stop with my '05 XLS. I'm pretty sure its not related to the spare tire, jack, or other contents of the trunk.

I don't think it is caused by the fuel moving in the tank. The fuel tank should have baffles that prevent the fuel from moving around too much. I also haven't heard thumping noises from the fuel tanks on any of my other Toyotas. Fuel tanks are not new technology. I suppose if the entire fuel tank itself were loose (and shifting) it could cause a thump.

I was wondering if the thump could be related to the Strut Tower issue. Can anyone explain what the symtoms are of a faulty Strut Tower? I have a rapid ticking sound from the rear deck area and the thump on acceleration.

I should take the car to my dealer and have these noises checked, but it would just be a waste of my time. The service department at Lia Toyata of Wilbraham, MA has made little attempt to address other problems in the past. However, I was pleasantly surprised that they managed to add the full 6.5 quartz when doing an oil change for just $35.

Can anyone recommend a good Toyota service department in central Massachusetts?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    in my Odyssey, i can hear faint thumping of gasoline in the tank sometimes after a fill when coming to a stop, specially in the garage. generally i don't hear it when pulling out, or hear it at all.

that said, my Odyssey did have some metal burrs on the strut tower front-right. when going over tiny road imperfections, it would exhibit a light tapping or tick tick tick sound. i rode with a tech and he immediately identified the problem. i believe they deburred the tower, applied a lubricant and re-assembled. i haven't had a problem since.

i know the vehicles aren't the same, but you may be on to something. you might be able to rule one possibility out: if it were gas in the tank, if you perhaps had someone push you in a level parking lot say, with the engine off and in neutral, then apply the brakes to come to a quick stop; you probably would hear a slosh back and forth perhaps twice or three times... that would probably be a quite different sound than a strut in need of servicing.

does the ticking rate vary with vehicle speed? does the ticking change with the road surface being driven on?

hope it helps.
    Good comments. Exactly how I feel. While I have had my share of issues with my O2, it runs superb now. The new one does not interest me at all. In fact, if I am unlikey enough to crash it, it will be replaced by a Toyota small truck or the like. Bought a 1 year old 325ci for a little back up.

abfisch
    Thank you for the information.

Is the problem really corrected on the 04 ES-330 ?
    tedescm1:
    Hard to say if it is really fixed. I drove a brand new '06 Sienna today which has the same 3.3 liter engine as the ES330 and I thought the transmission behavior was worse than the Avalon! I think Toyota has taken a retrogressive step as far as transmissions are concerned. They used to be perfect.
    I guess you'll have to drive one and see for yourself. Drive it for about 30 minutes though, both on the highway and in slow moving traffic. You will get a feel for the shift patterns.
    On the positive side, the dealer reset my Avalon's transmission computer and it feels much better.
  • lakedoglakedog Member Posts: 15
    The transmission shifting is never exact, it just cant make up it's mind when to shift, especially at low speeds. Every since I bought my '05 Ltd. I have been reading that many of you are experiencing the same thing. Does anybody know if Toyota is going to come out with a "fix" for this? It's got to be a computer problem, which should be easy to fix. :confuse:
    Toyota has issued a TSB for an ECM reflash to address the hesitation problem. It hasn't been a fix for everyone, but you may want to give it a shot if it hasn't been done to your car yet. The closed (read-only)"Engine Hesitation" and the still active "Toyota-Lexus transaxle shift delay" Edmunds forums have a lot of info that you may be interested in. This problem seemed to first arise in the Lexus ES-300, so the "Transmission problems with Lexus ES-300" Edmunds forum may also be helpful.
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    Here's some more info I posted in another forum:

Here's some really interesting info. Like it or not,it's worth reading.
    My Internet research reveals there are at least Four (count 'em---4!!)Aftermarket Suppliers of "Transmission Performance Programmers", also called "Power Control Modules", sometimes called "Automotive Performance Computers" which are able to modify shift performance, shift points, shift firmness, and a host of other parameters for 4,5,and 6 speed automatic transmissions on every make or model of vehicle on the planet.
    That tells me (1)There's no mystery or black magic to this issue, (2)The so called "unknown fix" isn't unknown--likely Toyota included, (3)A lucrative market exists for people to change the way their trannys work--not just Toyota/Lexus, (4)Cost is modest--prices range from $125 to $400 depending how sophistcated one wants to go.
    All the confusing technobabble aside, in layman's terms, I no longer believe it's the mysterious and elusive quest we've all been obsessing about.
    That said, here's what I think this issue boils down to.
    All manufacturer's DBW throttle/transmission systems have unusual or unfamiliar characteristics. I believe those Service Tech's comments about it being a "normal" characteristic are probably correct. I believe it's likely a consistent phenomenon across the board--typical to a greater or lesser degree to all manufacturers. Auto manufacturing consistency today is higher than it's ever been, so anomalies like some suggest this may be aren't too prevailent any more.
    So I believe that complaints we are seeing have more to do with a few owners having adverse sensitivity to the issue, and most owners not noticing it nor being bothered by it.
    More research results. A small sampling to be sure, but revealing nonetheless.
    Since coming into this issue last October, I've driven 12 Toyota/Lexus products with 5 speed BBW in addition to our own two cars. Lexus 330 and RX series, Highlander, Avalons, and Camry. None has exhibited any of the delay, lurching, seeking, or prolonged hesitation. All have been seamless, smooth and quiet. I have yet to experience any of this phenomenon, and I have yet to speak directly to anyone who has.
    - lakedog -

P.S. I would recommend letting Toyota give it a shot first (like I said, they have a TSB) before looking into aftermarket fixes.
  • dwcliffdwcliff Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased an '06 Avalon Limited and love the car and its features, but have had a problem that is going to have to be fixed. When driving the vehicle up any incline and the vehicle is running in overdrive or in a higher gear and the RPMs drop to around 1400-1600 rpms I get a pretty incredible shudder vibration thruout the car. I can easily accelerate out of the vibration, but under a load and at low rpms at several different speeds (happens mostly at around 40mph) I experience this problem. I have no hesitation when accelerating and don't feel the transmission or engine has any other issues, but this is really frustrating for a brand new car. The dealership has indicated they will be happy to look into the problem, but I can't get it to them for about a week. Any ideas what might be happening?
    You may want to check out this post and subsequent comments:

smooth01, "Transmission problems with Lexus ES-300 ?" #1020, 15 Jan 2006 8:41 am

Not sure if it is the same shudder that you are feeling. The Shudder-guard flush kit mentioned in the post was done by a Toyota dealer, so apparently "Toyota-approved", but it sounds like it is an aftermarket fix.
    dwcliff:

Vibration/Shuttering at low speed. I would put high suspect on the wheels or tires being out of balance or out of round. It is possible. Have them check that first. That should be easy enough to do. Start with the tires first and work inwards. In other words, wheels, rotors, etc. Usually at lower speeds it is the tires or wheels. At higher speeds it is the rotors or axle(CV joints).

abfisch
    Is the level of additional fuel economy predicted by Sierra Research in Ca. if automotive companies were to adopt three recommended aspects of automatic transmission control. ASL, agressive shift logic (be quick to upshift), early torque converter lockup (not just in O/D, and shifting into neutral during coastdown once the engine RPM declines to idle and the brakes are applied.

9.8%.....

No going back to yesterday, sorry.
    Anyone know the TSB number for the ECM reflash?
    Thanks.
  • disco340disco340 Member Posts: 17
    Try TC002-03
    All these ideas may improve gas mileage, but: shifting into neutral during coastdown once the engine RPM declines to idle and the brakes are applied..... dangerous, to say the least.

Any time a vehicle is on the road and essentially coasting in neutral with automatic and no connection to the engine, there are dozens of potential problems. Can you imagine an automatic doing this in bad weather? A disconnect to neutral? Surely not..... (Manuals are different but this is apparently a suggestion for an automatic.)
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    In light of questions put to me in other forums about my internet findings into solutions for the hesitation issue, I felt some clarification is needed--as follows:

I am NOT suggesting anyone immediately run down to the neighborhood automotive store to buy a performance enhancer, and yes, I am aware the device would probably void one's warranty. That's decidedly a no brainer.
    My ONLY reason for raising the point was to show how solutions are already out there. This is, after all, a "problems and solutions" forum.
    And yes, different makes/models of cars require different performance enhancing devices. That's why, when one buys one of these devices, it is necessary to specify which make/model one owns, so the appropriate device is purchased. They are make/model specific--look it up on the net.
    They come in all styles and shapes, with a variety of operating characteristics and user features. The simplest ones are straight replacement CPU chips, non adjustable nor programmable. Some factory chips are non removeable, so in these cases the performance enhancing device installs in line with the transmission CPU harness. For some units, what's changed stays that way until the new chip is replaced or the unit running in parallel is removed. High end units are dashboard mount, infinitely programmable, and are capable of providing a variety of different performance characteristics, even while in motion.
    No matter how one slices and dices this issue, it's not the deep, dark, unsolvable mystery that it's thought to be.
    That's all I'm trying to say.
    Thanks!
  • dwcliffdwcliff Member Posts: 4
    Finally got our new '06 Limited back to the dealer with the issue of the vehicle 'stumbling' at low RPMs on inclines. The service department contacted Toyota about a possible fix and they were advised to flush the transmission fluid and make some ECM adjustments. Got the car back today and no more problem! It appears the car doesn't run at quite as low RPMs at the same speeds where I was having the problem. I am sure glad to have the problem resolved.
    Then I guess I've been mistaken for all these years that I depress the clutch pedal when I apply thge brakes at low speed.....

Why would it be unsafe for an automatic to do exactly that??
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    think there is an increasing number of drivers out there that have never experienced manual shifting and things like clutches. Of course, you are not mistaken because as you are slowing with the clutch depressed you can also positioning the shifter to a lower gear appropriate for acceleration from that speed. However, if that the ability to accelerate promptly from a coastdown mode is 'safe', then the automatic equipped car will be less so - it is a lot quicker to release a clutch pedal than it is deal with these serpentine gates on many automatics and get the auto shifter back into drive.
    My answer would be the same as post #1129 from *captain2* based on current technology.
    fin and wwest - would even go a step further and tell you that folks that were trained on and can drive a manually shifted car reasonably well will generally be better drivers than those who have or can not. The reasons: driver attentiveness and a better understanding of vehicle dynamics relative to gear selections as it would apply to vehicle capabilities and road conditions. The MT driver will certainly understand why, for example, that you don't want to downshift to 2nd gear at 50-60 mph on a slippery road. And then you have all these new 'safety' control systems more easily intregated into AT equipped cars that seem to make many people think that the car now is immune from their 'dumbfootedness'.
    Thought I enter into this discussion, as interesting as it is, with all the complaints about the auto tranny. My 02 has the 4 speed auto, and has the usual shortcomings of an A/T with gear hunting on long grades or heavy loads and inability to stay in the taller gear when accelerating from a slow down, as from a light. Never the less, with regualr fluid and filter changes, I find no major problems with its general ability to be in the right gear at the right time. Do take it out of O/D a bit when hauling or city/slow type of traffic situations. Good unit otherwise. Wondering if the increase in gears, now 5, later 6 doesn't make things just that much more complicated.

Other car is a M/T BMW.

abfisch
    don't know the acutal statistics but ATs certainly the vast majority of auto sales - and, one of the biggest complaints about them - comparative fuel efficiency - is becoming largely a non issue. Why - because now we are getting things like the 'intelligent' trannys in the Avalon and many other cars that want to hold onto the highest gear possible, all in the interest of being able to say, for example, that the Av is the most economical large sedan out there. The more speeds, the more likely that the engine can be held in its economical 'sweet spot'. Operationally, however, not likely to make a bunch of difference. But, the era of $1200.00 transmission rebuilds is certainly a thing of the past!
  • viavalon06viavalon06 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '06 Touring Edition Avalon. I am having that same problem with my car and shifting. I live in the caribbean so they say it is the terrain. I don't undrestand that because other less expensive cars dont shift so hard or are reporting this problem. I have to take it back to the dealer so they can do another check i will have them check the transmission fluid and see if that problem stops.
    The problem is not your transmission. I discovered the hard way. below is part of a post I sent to Motrotrend .com. try this as a fix I almost guarantee results. Please report to Toyota.....IT IS NOT YOUR PARTICULAR PRODUCT OR THE TERRAIN Let ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT a temperamental and persnickety accelerator pedal can make driving this machine an extremely unpleasant experience. I didn't a have a clue what was causing my problem. when the engine was cold and especially if the temperature was cold, acceleration and transmission shifting was effortless and smooth as glass, but after driving several miles and the car warms up and (in a sporadic fashion) depressing the pedal would cause migraine inducing hesitation. The engine would over rev to 6k RPMs and floored would not reach 45 MPH. I thought it was the computer but turns out it was not that after all. After a several month long harangue Toyota sent a Field Technical Specialist to test drive with me, He was able to duplicate the problem from observing the angle of my foot while driving. This started me on a quest to figure out what was causing the problem. I discovered that the vinyl pedal has tip at the bottom that would become flexible after it warms up, as a toe driver my foot would touch the tip at times and send the drive by wire into a frenzy. I tested this on two other vehicles with the exact same issue. Seems a $20 piece of plastic was causing all this unpleasentness. I adjusted my foot to place the greatest pressure high on the pedal and the problem went away. Any comments would be appreciated
    look at meesage 1149 I'm not sure it responded to your post