Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2005+ Transmission Questions

Comments

• mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    I don't know what type of pedal you have but my '06 Limited has a hard rubber surface supported by a stiff frame from top to bottom. I have no idea where your soft vinyl pedal idea is coming from. The pedal is also hinged at the top so it really doesn't matter where you press on it, it will move, unless you are really pushing on the floor while only slightly touching the pedal.
  • windingdownwindingdown Member Posts: 1
    I also have this problem, in the old days we would call this transmission slipping. My toyota dealer says we have to live with it although this is surely a design deficiency. A car of this quality/money shouldn't have a problem like this
  • jdre86jdre86 Member Posts: 30
    What are you talking about? My Avalon's pedal is hard as a rock and not at all flexible. The transmission hesitation issue has absolutely nothing to do with the pedal.
  • champion3champion3 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 avalon xls and have not had this problem but checked my accelerator pedal and it is very ridged and supported well tried to bend or flex the bottom of the pedal but couldn't. I just can't see how this would be the problem unless you have a defective pedal or it has been updated since yours was made. This is my first toyota replaced a gas drinking chevy tahoe. The car is very nice but has a little more wind noise than i think it should have. The ride is nice but feel the seams in some roads more than did in the tahoe, but over all a nice ride. As far as power goes it has plenty for a family car with a quarter mile run of 99mph not hardly going to beat that unless u go to a sports car. The dash has a few rattles and a poping noise over the right rear seat which i found to be where the air bag is located in the quarter panel you can hear it when you push on it decided not to mess with it since an air bag is hear. The front seat bottoms could be about 2 or 3 inches longer. The arm rest on the doors are nice but to soft your elbow goes right to the bottom don't know how long they will hold up over time. I'am getting 28 to 29 mpg on the hwy and 18 to 20 in small town driving which i think is great for the horse power it has. Much better than the tahoe getting 9 and 10 in town and 16 on hwy. My biggest concern with the car is it has no body molding what were they tinking (Not thinking) when they did this. Well i solved the problem i found a place that makes body molding which i purchased and installed myself. Its painted to match your color code and its perfect it finished the car off nicely looks like it came from the factory (like it should). I purchased it from Dawn Enterprises, Inc in Ohio Phone number (216) 447-1777. Their site is www.dawn-ent.com you can see a few pics here. Hope this will help those who want body molding. I only have 2700 miles on the avalon only small issue with the engine so far has been a few cold starts where it would start and die but would could start it right back up and no problem. Forgot the radio reception sucks big time because of a so called antenna in the rear window. I have thought about installing and external antenna but it just would look very nice on the car.Might try to put some type of antenna under the dash if i can find one. Over all its a nice car for the money but we will see after 40 to 50 thounds miles or so. Thanks hope this helps
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The service manager at Lexus of Bellevue told me that the really simply way to disable VSC temporarily was to create an engine fault.

So I disconnected the MAF/IAT sensor connector on my 2001 AWD RX300 while the engine was running. The engine died almost immediately and wouldn't restart. When I reconnected the MAF/IAT it started right back up but with an engine & VSC failure indication.

After about 4 drive cycles the indications went out.

So for any of you that are experiencing the extended delay/hesitation symptom if you want to try and see if VSC is somehow related.....
  • sparky53sparky53 Member Posts: 13
    I have an 03 xls that has a vsc on-off switch on the underside of the dash just above my right knee.Hope this might be helpful .Sparky 53.
  • atleyatley Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a black Avalon XLS (2006). I was unable to get a good look at it in the daylight the day I picked it up at Bellevue Toyota in Omaha. The car was covered with sleet by the time I got to it to drive it home. Well, the first time I washed it I saw spots in the hood. After two long trips(20 miles one way) to the dealership and two trips to the body shop the problem which they said was caused by the coating on it when it came from the factory was solved. Since then in about 6 weeks I have gotten 3 major scratches on the car. With the slightest bumping or rubbing against the car it scratches down to the white undercoating. I believe that it has a VERY thin coat of paint. I look for a most difficult time keeping this car looking nice no matter how hard I try. Another major problem is the hesitation in the foot feed. When starting from a stopped position, the engine reeves up and then the transmission jerks in. It is most annoying. When I test drove it, I didn't drive it far enough to notice this problem. The dealership and the district rep both tell me over and over again that these are normal problems that many other Avalon owners are complaining about. No wonder that Consumer Guide rates the Avalon only average in reliability. Also, anyone looking at an Avalon should take notice that Toyota has removed the side moldings from the car leaving most it vulnerable to dings and they have removed the automatic driver seat adjustment. In my opinion, Toyota has cheapened up the vehicle thinking they can get by on reputation. I predict they will be in for a run for their money from several other cars in the sedan class most notably the Hyundai Azera which I have since test driven in an effort to find a car for my wife. The Azera drives very nicely with lots of power and has all of those things I mentioned that Toyota has removed from the Avalon XLS plus a sun screen for the back window. Also Consumer Guide is rating Hyundai as very reliable. There is no way I will purchase another Avalon. The Azera has the same cabin space as the Avalon, the back seats fold down for my real estate signs, and there is no hesitation in the foot feed. It sells for 3-4 thousand less! Look very closely before you purchase and Avalon. I like the body style but that is not enough to make up for all the problems I am having. And if you are having the same problems I am forget it Toyota won't do anything for you. Atley in Omaha
  • mthomas1mthomas1 Member Posts: 4
    Here is the latest on the hesitation and bumping feeling in steering for my 2006 Avalon. I have been told by Toyota service at my dealer that the hesitation/serge I'm getting is just part of the cars little quirks and that a lot of owners have complained about it. And if a TSB comes down on the problem they will let me know. As for the bumping in steering... they replaced the rack & pinion
    steering but this has not solved the problem and in the mean time my car horn has quite working. I took my car back to service yesterday. They have ordered a part for the horn and can't seem to find the steering problem. So once again I'm driving a rental from the dealer. I drove an Avalon (95) for 5 years then traded for the 2000 and drove it 5 years and have had this one since Aug. and only 9500 miles on it. I'm sick when I make that payment each month. My husband says to get rid of it even if I go with 2007 Avalon. Does anyone know if the 2007s are having the transmission problems? And also, any suggestions with my present car's problems? Thanks, mthomas1
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    The hestitation on my vehicle is better with the A/C off. Seems to be pretty good. I spoke with the manager at my dealership an he said he would check it. Also, If you write toyota directly with (Certified letter, probably in California) you will get some real action. Someone post the national address for Toyota central.
  • sambesuesambesue Member Posts: 3
    I also have a problem with the transmission,surge,jerkingand at times pushing the car forward.Dealer says nothing wrong? Also have quality issues with wind noise,passenger seat rattle quality of the leather interior,excessive engine noise.I totaly agree that the Avalon has been cheapend compared to my previous 2000 Avalon.
  • lofgrenlofgren Member Posts: 14
    "The hestitation on my vehicle is better with the A/C off."

Message 11643 from Avalon 2005+ Forum....

I've had my 2006 Ltd since 11/05 and have experienced consistent hesitancy or lag especially in stop & go traffic and merging onto freeways etc. It's been annoying me to no end. Discussed it with Toyota service during the 5000 mile service and told "normal characteristic" of the car. Drove another 06 Ltd on the lot and experienced the same. While "researching" this issue I found this forum about a month ago and have been reading several posts citing the same issue. It's had become apparent to me it was the drive-by-wire (DBW) technology and computer programming on this vehicle. An obvious design flaw or so I thought, until...

Two weeks ago while driving in HEAVY stop & go traffic I just happened to notice I was NOT experiencing any hesitancy, the car had become "uncharacteristic ally" VERY responsive. After about 2 miles of bumper-to-bumper stop & go traffic and trying to figure why my car had suddenly become a responsive powerhouse it hit me...my foot placement on the accelerator was different. Normally I toe between the brake and acclerator pedals but this time, for some strange reason I was moving my entire foot. The entire length of my foot was on the gas when I accelerated. I'd give the pedal an slight nudge and the car accelerated very smoothly, evenly, and without any hesitation. Couple days later I was again in heavy stop & go, and noticed hesitancy with acceleration and I recalled my foot position from the time before. I changed my foot position to full foot on the pedal and what do you know...COMPLETE resolution and car was again very responsive.

I know it sounds crazy, stupid, unbelievable, asinine, whatever...but since this discovery I can actually CAUSE my care to either hesitate in traffic or be very responsive to input on the accelerator simply by altering the position of my foot. I've since made a conscious effort to alter my driving habit (full foot on instead of toeing) and haven't had one episode of hesitancy, lag, or unresponsivness since. I've also noticed increased MPG during my 70/30 highway/city drive week. Have gone from 24 MPG to 29MPG this past week and a half.
  • sambesuesambesue Member Posts: 3
    it seems like a lot of avalon owners have the same transmission problem,but the dealerships tend to say we have to live with it. Where can we go next?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    make sure you are using a good part of your foot when applying force to the pedal. don't use just the tip of your shoe. others claim vast improvement in transmission responsiveness by using more of their foot on the pedal.

also you can ask your dealership if there is a TSB which was issued to improve shift quality. i can't put my hands on it, but I think it was documented in one of the hesitation forums.

good luck.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Do you mean to tell me that some of you spent 35K or more on this machine, only to find out that you have to put the good part of your foot on the accelerator!!! Oh my goodness. Nice.. Very nice. I am hoping the Hyndai Azerra is competitive. Toyota needs the competition.

abfisch
  • doxondoxon Member Posts: 5
    I have been going round and round with a local dealer on my 2006 avalon. On Friday it went in for the third service department visit for an annoying noise around the driver door and the slipping/jerking of the transmissions. At this visit, the area service manager looked at the car and documented "normal condition" to the door noise and the transmission problem.

I spent 25 years as an ASE master certified mechanic and my experience tells me that I was both a victim of the standard manipulative denial and precedent aversion of the dreaded "lemon law".

The dealer documented repaires on the door noise on the first two visits, then documented "normal condition" on the third visit. I explained my dissatisfaction and was told to direct my issues to Toyota. First of all, the dealership knew of the transmission problem before selling the vehicle, and I suggested they refund the purchase as any other seller of a commodity would. I plan on speaking with the owner and or GM before further aggressive measures that would negatively effect the dealership.

If it's broken...and they know its broken...then the dealership should back up the customer rather than the manufacturer.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Hey Doxon.
    I sympathize about your "normal" psycho transmission. Mine has the same "normal" affliction which is driving me insane. It went thru a particularly bad time this weekend - the transmission went completely mad. It was changing gears all the time - even when running at a constant speed on a level road, hunting for the next gear, revving and slipping and sliding and banging as it engaged.
    I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes so the transmission ECU would "forget" it's "intelligent" (yeah, right) adaptive shift pattern and reset to factory default. The transmission is now better but it will never be "normal". If you decide to do this, be aware that after the battery is disconnected, the front windows, moonroof, and compass need to be reset in order to work properly, and you lose all your preset radio channels. The reset procedures are all described in the owners manual - in different places.
    Regarding your driver door noise - is it a "chattering" sound, not quite a rattle or squeak but something in-between? Does it go away when you pull the door toward you?If so, I think I may have a fix for you.
    It may be the looped lock striker that is out of adjustment. When the door closes and latches, the striker is positioned too far outwards allowing the door to move as the body flexes which causes the rubber door seals to rub against each other causing the noise.
    I had this problem on the driver's door of my 2002 Avalon and the rear left door of my 2005 Avalon.
    The striker loop is secured to the inside of the door aperture by two "Torx" screws, so you need to get a set of Torx screwdrivers or sockets from Home Depot or Lowes.
    Standing outside the car with the door open, loosen the Torx screws almost completely, push the striker toward the inside of the car, and hold the striker in place while tightening the Torx screws again.
    This should take care of the problem.
    You'll need the Torx wrenches again when your moonroof starts to rattle, so they will be a good investment.
    The adaptive transmission "learns". How does it update information over days, weeks, yrs. Why can'y toyota make a chip to change the shifting mode to be like my Honda?
    Toyota transmissions need to "learn" how to drive!
    The transmissions in Honda and Nissan are far superior.
    I find that the transmission becomes progressively confused the more it "learns" and "adapts", and the only way to get it reasonably driveable again after it has "learned" itself into total confusion, is to smack it over the head by disconnecting the battery.
    The Toyota acronym ECT-I really means Exceptionally Confused Transmission designed by Idiots.
    This transmission should not have passed alpha-test in the engineering lab, let alone be in mass production.
    Just checked out 07 Camry issues and seems V6 Tranny has same issues (Torque converter). Some have been fixed by Toyota..early ones with problem. So guess the 6 speed is not much different.
    Been wanting to say this for a long time now, but just sittin back. I'll buy another Avalon, when they come back with the 4 speed, on the column manual shift with the bench seat. This should light some thoughts.

abfisch
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    lot's of Luck.

Do you really think they are going to give you back your money? Sue them and maybe you will back some of your money.

I sued Acura over a similar problem and the lemon law is not as customer frendly as you might think. I ended up having to settle out of court for very little money.
  • camaddencamadden Member Posts: 8
    I bought a new 2005 Avalon last year (my first experience buying a Toyota) because I had heard such wonderful things about it and the Camry. Boy, am I disappointed ! The transmission is horrible. I was fed the same crap about how it needs to "learn" how to behave from the driver. During one service appointment, they "unlearned" it to see what would happen. No change. My kids get car sick, it's so bad. The dealer told me to keep checking with them for a "fix" because I'm not the only one who's complained. If there is no "fix" soon, I plan to get rid of it while it's still under warranty so it will have a good selling point.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Have you tried adjusting how you place your foot on the pedal? Some have found improved driveability / responsiveness if they've placed more of their foot on the pedal, rather than say, using the tip of the foot on the accelerator.

This suggests to me possibly there is too much mechanical compliance in the pedal and with poor foot placement, applying some amount of force doesn't result in a change of pedal position being detected by the sensor attached to the mechanical assembly.

I suspect, if that is the case, the only true solution would be for them to change the part out completely, i.e. perhaps go with another vendor.
    What they should do and what they will do, are two different animals. Don't expect what you already paid for unless you have been doing business with them awhile.

abfisch
    You are absolutely correct!!! The service department had Toyota close the issue on my door noise as normal at this time, and my transmission as normal for this vehicle, even after they made 2 attempts to fix the door noise. They have washed their hands of the problem and I am now disgusted with the dealership and don’t trust the service department. I have requested a meeting with the GM for weeks but he has not returned my calls, instead the service manager offers to come to my office and clean some stains the mechanic left on my leather seats, and says "I really hope we could put this behind us now". Now the salesman is calling me and is authorized to put me into a different car at invoice. Of course that is after they deduct approx. $2,400 depreciation for the 4 months use. This is the same offer given to anyone who wants out of a car, so they feel Toyota has 0% responsibility with the issues. I paid just slightly over invoice so no help there. On top of everything else, The Avalon was the only Toyota I fit into and has decent mileage. At this time no one can tell me if the later build Avalon is without the transmission issues, so a different Toyota is not the answer.
    I am currently writing a letter to the local and national consumer related reporters and also to be handed out to the public close to were the dealer is located(with no reference to the dealership name). So far I am up to 8 pages and have plenty more to say. I have been careful to avoid any statements that may place me libel in any way, and I will have my attorney look it over first.
    I spent 25 years as a mechanic and was ASE Master Certified for many of those years. I explained that any other cars with a transmission that races the engine then jerks would be unfit to hand back to a customer, but it seems to be OK if the symptoms only occur to some customers. Those customers are told to “live with it! Toyota will let you know if a fix becomes available”. When I called Toyota’s 1-800 number, I was told that I need to change the way I drive in order for the transmission to work effectively. I have driven over half a million miles on three Continents and with only one fender bender. I think Toyota needs to rethink how their customers should be treated and start showing a little respect.
    NOW A NOTE OF CAUTION!! IF THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT ATTEMPTS REPAIRS ON YOUR VEHICLE, THEN CALLS THE “DSPM”, THEN BEWARE, YOUR VOICE IS GONE REGARDING THE ISSUE. TOYOTA TAKES THEIR WORD AS FINAL WITH ABSOLUTALLY NO RECOURSE TO YOU OTHER THAN LOCAL LEGAL ACTION.
    I experienced this just a few days ago. The Toyota representative would not listen to the fact that my door still rattles on bumps, he said the DSPM stated normal at this time and the issue is closed.
    The most reasonable explanation to my situation is avoidance of the dreaded “LEMON LAW”. When I worked at dealerships, I would see the Assistant Service Manager creatively document work orders that are headed for Lemon Law territory. At the third repair, the work order would show a completely different part failure or symptom so the repair would not show 3 or 4 attempts at the same problem.
    Now if I was to take my car back to the dealer for the door noise, the repair would be documented as “repair 1” because it obviously could not be the previous issue because it did not exist at the time the DSM inspected the car. There is more to this story but I cannot go there without more evidence. Several contradictory statements were made by 3 individuals, but not enough to pursue as fact.
    All I wanted was my car fixed; now I want out of the car. By this I mean out of the dealership!! I do not trust them and I fear taking my car back to the service department. The only way out is if the dealership makes money. Apparently they have not heard of the statement “The cost of doing business”, which can make or break a company.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!
    Doxon:

I am sorry and appreciate everything you stated above. I too had similar problems and I too, could not fit into many cars because of my size frame. 74" and 225lbs, just big. The Avalon was it. Believe it or not, I went through 6 different automotive places, two of them dealerships and they told me everything from some of them come this way to when the part finally goes and it is replaced you will know it. Sweet!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily for me, I found a very thorough mechanic, I am in the Army, and he took about both front axles, at my expense, replaced them, and whatdoyou know, the problem was fixed. I had a defective axle/inner not outer CV joint which was causing the car to vibrate excessively at high speeds. Painful. They had me jumping through hoops, with wheels, tires rotors, alignment, etc. until they thought I gave up. In the end, it cost me, as I had to pay the mechanic to fix it right, but it cost them more. Cause I tell this story whenever I can and will never buy another Toyota again, even though I enjoy my Avalon now, 81K, and plan to keep it well past 200K. I bought an 04 BMW 325ci from another soldier which I use during the nice months now, keeping the Avalon for winter and to pull the trailer. But...Toyota has changed. Buyer beware.

If you have to work for a living, try to sell it locally or take the hit and get outta it. Try the Azera after the 1st model year or buy vehicle. Stay away from all the electronic gizmos. One lady I worked with said he LCD screen went in her Accord, could not use the HVAC controls, radio or clock and the dealership gave her a hard time. Imagine that.

abfisch
    If anyone has a Toyota Corporate Contact I would appreciate an address and name if possible. I have only found a few. I know this has been done by many others before me, but I am going to flood Toyota and Consumer investigative reporters with an 8 page report about my dealership’s service department and General Manager. The GM refuses to return a call and the service department says the rattle in my door is normal for my 2006 Avalon. I LOVE the car but someone needs to make a dent in this communication block.
    I plan on personally handing the GM my documents next week and see if he would like to drive my car around the block and tell me the noise is normal. If he will not see me, the documents will be mailed to him and I’ll have to add that conversation to the report.

I would also like the some help with the names of some consumer advocate reporters that might be able to use my information as part of a future article.

Thanx, Doxon
  • dickh2dickh2 Member Posts: 9
    I am getting ready to order a 06 Limited for my wife. I have read of other problems in the newer Avalons. I have a 2002 xls and it has been good to us but I am starting to thing I may want to wait for 07...have you had a surge or tranny problems?
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    dickh2: Our 06 Limited is the FINEST auto I've ever had--bar none--Caddy, Volvo, Lincoln, Pontiac or Buick., I've had none of the "tranny" or wind noise problems noted. I'm getting 30 + MPG on the highway and 26 + MPG in day-to-day driving in the hilly Ozarks. Ny only complaint is the Nav system is not user friendly. If you like yor 02 XLS--you'll love the 06. Some say wait for the 6 speed 07---all a matter of taste. Good luck!
    Bob
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Please see my post #12244 in the "Avalon 2005+" forum. It details my (very positive)experiences with my 2006 Avalon since last September. Good luck on your choice! Mike
    you might send letter return receipt, with copy to consumer affairs or BBB
  • wnavalonwnavalon Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 which I took delivery on in April of 2005. I have put 14,300 miles on it and it works great - - - NO problems at all. The transmission is perfect and the engine run very well. NO rattles, NO squeeks, Great milage and LOTS of power. We are heading for Nevada in 2 weks for another trip. I would buy another one tomorrow.......
  • wnavalonwnavalon Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 which I took delivery on in April of 2005. I have put 14,300 miles on it and it works great - - - NO problems at all. The transmission is perfect and the engine run very well. NO rattles, NO squeeks, Great milage and LOTS of power. We are heading for Nevada in 2 weeks for another trip. I would buy another one tomorrow.......
  • pcc49pcc49 Member Posts: 25
    I am driving a 2006 Avalon limited. This is the best car I have ever owned. It is quiet, powerful and very smooth. Areas of improvements are: a. The navigational system is not very friendly. The "all-in-one" directional and "enter" button is not precise! b. The 12 speakers surround sound system produce excellent music, but the 6 disc CD changer does not understand mp3? This is unacceptable. I hope it is available in the 2007 model!
  • billybob8billybob8 Member Posts: 7
    With all due respect to those who have complaints, don't be unduly swayed by the relatively small number of individuals who vocalize their frustrations here.
    I can understand their feelings, but a small number of complaints aren't representative of the vast majority of positive owner experiences which we don't hear about.
    If you have concerns about any of the issues discussed in these forums, a thorough test drive of your model of choice is the best way to address these concerns.
  • niteoneniteone Member Posts: 41
    I burned 3 cd's (all mp3) and my 12 specker surround system plays them....all burnt using Windows Media Player...some songs were downloaded from the internet some were ripped from albums.

they all play.
  • magrezzamagrezza Member Posts: 11
    I belive that I have the same problem with my 06 Limited, which has been dismissed by TWO DIFFERENT DEALERS here in Puerto Rico, where I live. My problem feels like a clicking or tapping that I feel in the steering wheel, however, only when the car is turning, and most noticeable after sudden movements. It started when the car had about 1K miles (now has about 6K), and, in my opinion, is worse now than before.

I have finally gotten my dealer to agree to dismantle my entire steering column, after a great amount of pushing and complaining.

If anyone has any information about this, or can tell me more, please e-mail me at avkin@prtc.net.

Thanks!
  • mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    Title:
    STEERING COLUMN NOISE
    Models:
    ’05 – ’06 Avalon
    Technical Service
    BULLETIN
    March 14, 2006
    Some 2005 – 2006 model year Avalon vehicle customers may complain of a ticking noise
    from the steering wheel while driving slowly and turning left or right. The assembly
    process has been improved to the steering column assembly.
    Follow the repair procedure provided in this TSB to replace the steering column assembly
    and correct the noise.
    Steering Column Assembly
    �� 2005 – 2006 model year Avalon vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change
    Effective VIN shown below.
    MODEL PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
    Avalon 4T1BK36B16U099714
    OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
    442051 R & R Steering Column Assembly 1.3 45250–##### 9A 40
    Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in
    effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
    in-service date.
    * Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
    STEERING
    Introduction
    Applicable
    Vehicles
    Production
    Change
    Information
    Warranty
    Information
    STEERING COLUMN NOISE – ST002-06 March 14, 2006
    Page 2 of 2
    MODEL PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME QTY
    Avalon XL
    & XLS
    45250–AC021 Same Column Assembly,
    Steering
    Avalon
    Limited
    45250–AC011 Same Column Assembly,
    Steering
    1. Confirm the customer complaint by driving the vehicle slowly and turning the steering
    wheel left or right.
    2. If a tick noise can be heard or felt from the steering wheel when turning left or right,
    replace the steering column assembly.
    3. To replace the steering column assembly, refer to the Technical Information System
    (TIS), 2005 or 2006 model year Avalon Repair Manual: Steering Column: Steering
  • loliverloliver Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Avalon Xl one month ago. I was having problems with the car turning over but not starting on the first try. I would then try to start it a second time and it would crank. This happened about 10 times and the dealer could never get it to do the same thing for them. After a month of frustrating battles, they gave me another Avalon and it is doing the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem? The delaership says they have NEVER heard of this. What do I do?
  • gomst1gomst1 Member Posts: 58
    I have not encountered this type of problem but, I was wondering if you have a bunch of things attached to the ignition key, key ring. It is possible that other things attached to it could interfere with the immobilizer signal.
    That is the chip on your ignition key communicating with the vehicles immobilizer system.
  • loliverloliver Member Posts: 2
    I wish that was it, but no I only have the key and the remote. That is all! I have tlked to other people in my town and they have had the same problem in their Toyota Tundra truck and a minivan. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.
  • camaddencamadden Member Posts: 8
    Gosh, yes I have 'cause I had heard that it worked for some people but not for me. My husband drove the vehicle all of last weekend (he rarely drives my car) and was surprised by the behavior. I just escalated my concern to Toyota corporate headquarters. They acknowledge that they have received hundreds of calls on this issue and to quote them "the transmission works in a way that most people are not accustomed to". "Accustomed to" ??? Give me a break. I've been driving for 25 years and have never experienced anything like this. Toyota is walking away from this issue; very disappointing. She suggested arbitration so that's where I'm headed. Thanks for your suggestion, though.
  • oregonoregon Member Posts: 9
    Just to confirm this TSB from Toyota - just bought a 2006 Avalon XLS with the same steering column noise. The service manager pulled the Steering TSB and we now have a new assembly on order to be installed. Problem?? Something about the tolerances being wrong and some units slipped thru Quality Control. I'm just happy it can be fixed. I thought I would have to live with it and just crank up the stereo!
    Misery loves company...???

Take note that owners of the new AWD Lexus GS series seem to be reporting the same engine/transaxle hesitation/delay symptom as has existed in the ES and Camry since the 2002 model year.
  • chodiechodie Member Posts: 13
    I have the hesitation in my transmission. I have talked to my service manager 3 times and to toyota by phone many times and the answer is that it is normal. My answer is "this problem is a real safety issue and toyoto needs to do its best to correct". No results from Toyota or dealer. I have had three Avalons, but this is my last unless Toyota resolves the problem.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    IMO, of course, but wouldn't worry too much about tranny issues - it has nothing to do with the trans itself but rather the way it is programmed to select gears - an FE thing that seems to put the trans in the highest gear possible. This creates a 'hesitation' on heavy reapplication of throttle from lower speeds. Since the software that does this must be shared with all Toyotas so equipped, the DBW hesitation should exist with not only Avs. but also Siennas, RAVs etc. and possibly even the 6 speed Camry and the 07 Av. From personal experience, do not find it objectionable, have 'adjusted' my driving style to compensate for the transmission behavior so it very rarely happens - and I would rather 'put up' with this condition than give a few mpgs back.
    The 3.5 2GR engine has not had any documented issues from a reliability standpoint and is actually the best part of the whole car. It is, by nature, slightly noisier than the old belt driven OHC 3.0 and 3.3 engines it replaced. The clicking noise you hear at idle is actually the direct feul injection. In slightly modified forms this engine is now in not only Avs, Camrys and RAVs but now about every Lexus model.
    The Camry transmission problems are in fact a manufacturing defect (snap ring) and apparently effected just a few hundred that had Japan assembled trannies. Haven't heard anything about any transmission programming issues though, so the behavior may be better in the 07 Av.
    Whether these 'problems' effect sales remains to be seen -things like this sure didn't hurt Honda very much a couple of years ago after a bout of tranny failures (overheating) in Accord V6s and TLs.
    Have had my Av for well over a year now (28k) and think it is the best car I've ever owned - but maybe that's just me?
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    I have the hesitation in my transmission
    Yep, and so does everybody else. And so do drivers of many, many other cars on the road that are afflicted with this DBW stuff. Would imagine that the VW, Ford, and MB dealers will give you the same 'it is working normally' BS - except that is not BS. Not to excuse Toyota for a substandard software implementation, but something that may not be fixable because it is not a mechanical problem. A few mfgrs. (Honda/Nissan come to mind) seem to do a bit better tuning these drivability issues out of DBW. Sounds contrite - but in mnay ways, the price of technology and the price of progress.
    Have found that a more gradual acceleration technique from lower speeds effectively stops the 'hesitation'. Driving the car 'all-on or all-off' confuses the silly computer and 'creates' the hesitation as it trys to 'adapt' to that driving style.
    Yet again.

The problem is NOT due to the use of DBW.

I can assure you that the DBW system in my 2001 Porsche C4 works perfectly well, as I suspect all DBW systems coupled with manual transmissions wherein the driver is reponsible for current, or next gear slection, and appropreate application, use of, the clutch pedal.

The problem arises when the engine/transaxle firmware must take on the responsibility of "guessing" what you, as the driver, will next do.

Do you intend, will you, come to a full stop, or will you begin to accelerate before coming to a full stop. Regretably Toyota?lexus' firmware assumes you will come to a full stop.

Put the clutch pedal back in, non-operative, and the firmware will get it right every time.

Think about it, with the clutch pedal in you can be in any gear you wish in preparation....
    wwest:
    This of course, is now of only forensic interest to me, but I think the transmission is only partly the issue. In my ex-Avalon, when the accelerator was depressed even with the transmission in Park or Neutral, there was a delay in engine response. In some circumstances. this combined with the transmission hesitation could cause close to a 2 second delay between throttle input and vehicle response. I experimented with the throttle position, but the DBW system seemed to "relearn" the gas pedal "home" position, compensate and reintroduce the lag. I had attributed this to the DBW system.

I have found the Honda and Nissan systems to be much "tighter" in their responses and they don't feel any different than a conventional system. I am extremely curious as to why Toyota would continue to propagate this, even if it affects, as they claim, only a small percentage of vehicles.

Perhaps the complex "adaptive" and anticipatory multi-map logic employed by Toyota is just not the right solution. It seems that a fast-responding reactive system is better in real life situations, and this is easily achievable with the speed of modern processes.

One more thing, did a NOVA really get Apollo 11 to the moon?
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    I think we have found through pretty exhaustive discussion on this topic that the problem can range from a minor nuisance (what you are describing) to a downright safety issue (chodie's description). Not every vehicle seems to have the hesitation to the same degree.