Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Rest assured, that is your air suspension pump-that is unless you don't have the air suspension?
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Does any one knows if the cross bars on the luggage rack for Expedition 2005 are the same as the cross bars found in 2002,2003 and 2004?..... hard to believe but I just purchased an EB 2005 Expi and it has just about everything BUT the cross bars..when I inquired about them i was told that the cross bars are a separate item to be purchased for about $180.00 from dealer. I have someone in EBAY selling a pair ($60,00) of these cross bars and I could save some money..but they came from an EXPI 2002...thanks for the help
  • amorejonamorejon Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am in the process of putting the K & N filter kit in my 5.4 Expedition and would like to know if you also had to change any of the exhaust system to accomodate the increase of air intake. I am doing this to improve my towing HP and gas milage.

I appreciate you info.

A.Morejon
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power? too.

Steve, Host
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    It sounds like you've already bought the kit. :( If you do install this, please note that if your vehicle is still under warranty, most dealerships will deny any warranty work associated with changing the intake and MAF sensor issues REGARDLESS OF WHAT K&N TELLS YOU. With that said, be careful not to apply too much oil when servicing your filter so as not to cause problems with your MAF sensor. I did have a K&N (just the filter) on my 03 Expedition about a year after purchasing the vehicle new. I noticed NO improvment in performance or mileage with the K&N. The only difference I noticed was a little more intake noise during acceleration.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    I had the FIPK kit on my '99 Expedition with the 5.4 and also on a '96 Explorer with the 5.0 and noticed no change in anything except intake noise. I would save my money given the option again. I had to learn that lesson twice but I'm pretty sure I understand it now. Never had any MAF issues but was careful about oiling. All told I probably had around 60k miles using the K&Ns.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Have had the filter only on my 4.6 for about 8 months; slight improvement in towing performance and about 1.5 mpg increase. No MAF issues so far. I've never heard of exaust mods needed to accomodate increased airflow, but I'm no expert.
  • belle6belle6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 97' Ford Expedition 8 months ago, and nothing but problems.
    I drive it off the lot and the battery died.

2 weeks later, they had to replace the fuel pump after the vehicle left me stranded in a bad area., it was still under warranty. So they fixed it.

4 months later, the transmission failed and left me stranded on the road again. That cost me $2500.

3 months after that, in fact, today, the fuel pump went out again, and there are also problems with the fuel filter plug and the ignition coils.

Oh yeah, and the rear winshield wipers do not work! Haha-Very funny Ford

I am so done with Fords, this is my first American car and I regret it. I have always bought Japanese in the past, and had no problems. I will buy Japanese or German after this thing dies on me, which after reading about all the head gasket problems with these things, I am sure won't be long! So long Ford!
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2004 EB and it came with the cross bars. I would go to the dealer
    or other dealers and see if they are installed on the 2005's and than go do
    what you have to do with the dealer
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Someone dumped an 8-year old problem used vehicle on you.
    For '05 are an option so it really doesn't mean much if the ones on the lot have them or not.
    Look at the sticker
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Sorry to hear about your problems. By my calculations, your vehicle (at average use) should have over 100,000 miles on it. Is this correct?
    Anybody have any figures for REAL WORLD MPG. The sticker says 14 city/19 highway. Any experience out there? I am thinking of the 2 wheel drive model.
    Thanks in advance. :D
  • impissedimpissed Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: Don't get one.Try another vehicle before you go epedition or ford for that matter. I have hade nothing problems from the day I drove it off the lot. : :lemon:
    Your best bet, rather than spending all kinds of money everytime you wash your truck, is get brake pad covers. I've heard they work great. One time investment for alot less agrevation.
    I sympathize. ;)
    I'm no expert, I'm having my truck serviced today, and they call and tell me I need new brakes. I only have 20,000 miles on it. It's just over a year old. Is this normal?
    They said it's because I drive too fast and I'm heavy on the brakes . I've never had this problem with any of my other cars. Believe me, I've had plenty.
    Someone help...please respond. :lemon: ?
    My wife's '02 Explorer which is about 930 pounds less than your expedition, needed brakes at just about 30K. It is not unreasonable to have brakes on your vehicle at 20,000 miles. I know guys who could have gone through them in half the miles!!
  • biglibbiglib Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the middle of negotiating a lease on another Expedition. I'm debating whether I should wait until the 2006 models come out vs. getting into a 2005. The residual value on the 2005 is 47%. Does anyone have an idea of what the 2006 residual value will be, and also about how much more a 2006 will be vs. 2005?

Thanks
  • biglibbiglib Member Posts: 3
    Ditto that, both my neighbor and I have Expeditions, my neighbor went through his brakes in just over 15,000 miles (Blames his wife), I on the other hand lasted about 28,000 miles. Its not the quality of the car, but the driver.
    Does anyone have an idea of what the 2006 residual value will be

Try Car_Man over in Lease Questions - Ask Here.

Steve, Host
  • cyr1cyr1 Member Posts: 2
    HEY KIM PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU LEARNED ABOUT THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE AND THE DEALER WANTS 350 FOR FIX THIS. LET ME KNOW PLEASE
  • bbonesbbones Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience with actual performance after installation? I have recently purchased a Hypertech and I've set it up for firmer shift, but I'm having a tough time finding information regarding rev limiter and shift points for 2003 Expedition 5.4L. Any suggestions or other information would be helpful. Thanks
  • gringrin Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 01 EB Expedtion. Have you been able to find out how to fix this problem..

Grin
  • twiebetwiebe Member Posts: 7
    My EB White is 1 year old and I noticed a rust spot on the roof. As I went around it more closely, I noticed very faint specs of rust underneath the black window trim, as well as the rear panels. The specs are also more noticable on the trim above the rear window that houses the third brake light. This car sits in a garage all day, and I take it to a full service car wash typically every Saturday and get the works (premium wash, clear coat, armorall tires etc.) Has anyone had this problem, and does anyone know what the warranty options are?
  • canadiangirl8canadiangirl8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone I'm new to the boards so I apologize if this has already been asked. We have a 2000 Ford Expedition and it just recently started clunking when we first start to drive. The clunking sound stops after awhile but we'd like to know what's making that sound. Thank you for your help.
    I don't think its rust. My wifes 01 Escape which is white may have had the same thing. I was able to get almost all of it or most of it with a good wax cleaner
    /polisher. It may be tar or somthing that shows up on White cars. Good luck
    It may be "rail dust." Get a clay bar from Mother's or Zymol (should be around $10) and try that. Check out the Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) discussion and search in there for "clay." They'll be lots of posts about how it works; it'll surprise you!

Steve, Host
    I was just going to say that and you beat me to it. Second vote for rail dust.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Chuck1,

Real world no BS miles per gallon on our 5.4L 2003 2WD XP is 16.0 (--tops, all city yields 14) MPG over 48K miles. Don't believe the optimistic computer estimator as ours lies by about 1.5 MPG. This is about a 50/50 combo overall of flat Florida H/C driving. Anyone claiming over 17 MPG on this vehicle at 70 MPH or above is a dreamer. Subtract about 1 MPG for every 10 MPH over 60.

No brake problems other than front pads replaced at 23K. Brake dust practically eliminated at 26K miles by installing 4 dust guards Autosport Wheel Guards discussed ages ago. No, I don't work for them. Still lovin' everything about our EB XP but $50 fill ups! ;)
    Thanks,
    I guess the new ones are supposed to get about 1 more mpg than yours. Still not that great. I have an 2002 Explorer with the V6. The city mileage is not that different. However, I do get 20mpg (consistently) if Ikeep it no faster than 70mph!
  • posiedon7posiedon7 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response for the 2nd question with regards to the spare RCA jack? :confuse:
  • expedition322expedition322 Member Posts: 3
    Chuck, I have a 2002 Expedition with 5.4 engine and I get between 13-14 MPG city and 17 - 18 MPG on highway. I am running AMSOIL 5W-30 motor oil with a K & N air filter.
  • expedition322expedition322 Member Posts: 3
    I am on my second Expedition. The first one I had was 1 1997 and I replaced the first set of brake pads at 46k miles. My current 2002 Expedition has 40k miles on it and I just took it in for an alignment and was advised that I will need to replace pads within the next six months.
    Isn't the gross vehicle weight something like 4,800 pounds on the Expedition? How can you possibly be upset on getting 40K out of your brakes. I know NO ONE, that gets this kind of distance on brakes on ANY NUMBER OF SUV's! My wife who drives very conservatively got just over 25K on the brakes when she had a '99 Suburban. On her 2002 Explorer, she got just over 32K when she needed brakes. Why don't you ask around on what people are experiencing, I think it may give you some perspective....... :confuse:
    the GVW is closer to 6,000 lb, and I agree with your brake usage numbers. 40k for brakes is a lot.
    Spy Shots: 2007 Ford Everest (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • gt5089gt5089 Member Posts: 1
    HI everyone. I have 2001 Expedition. The one thing I wish the truck had was controls on the steering wheel for the radio.

Well, about a week ago, I stopped alongside an Navigator, & noticed that it had the controls I wanted, mounted on the left side of the airbag, in place of the on/off cruis control switch.

Has anyone tried to add these controls to thier Expedition? If so, how did you accomplish it?
    "NHTSA looking at reports that leaks in Expeditions can cause windshield wipers to fail."

Feds probe Ford SUV water-leak reports (CNN)

Steve, Host
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Steve- interesting article, has anyone heard if they may initiate a recall? I just had my 2000 done for the speed control recall, I've seen a lot of posts here about the water leaking issue as well. Seems like failure of windshield wipers and/or electrical systems while driving could be a real safety hazard.
  • craftykimcraftykim Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I sure could use some advise. My husband and I are getting ready to purchase a very nice used 2000 Ford Exp, for a work car. I have been reading about the serious problems :blush: of the cruise control switch causing the car to catch fire and then the recall....has anyone had any problems with their exp's catching on fire.

Also, if we buy if from a dealer, will we still be able to get the part fixed as a recall as well.

Thank you all so much for responding.

Kim
    The fix until Ford has a recall (if they do) is to disconnect the cruise control. If you do this it will not be hazardous.
  • anastasia1anastasia1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I went to the Ford Dealership and they quoted me about $750. Does anyone know where I might be able to get them any cheaper? These racks are as of now only available on 2005 Limited Expeditions, which I believe is why they are so expensive. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Anastasia
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    You might want to try Ebay. I have seen them in the past and they were no where near $750.
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    My 2004 Expedition NBX with 4wd and 5.4L weighed 5,740 with full gas tank, no gear, etc. Checked a basic Enterprise owned 2003 Expedition XLT, 4wd 5.4L, that was 5,660 to 5,670 as I recall. Even the best "certified" truck scales vary some 20 lbs or so. One scale I tried had several gallons of water trapped underneath in some of the scale's structure--was off 50-60 lbs.. The above weights were on a busy truckstop scale that was checked a week earlier per the operator.

Most of the 2wd versions of 2003 to 2006 Expedition with 5.4L would run 300 lbs or so less than the above numbers for 4wd..
    It seems with this kind of weight if you are getting in the 30,000 mile range on your brakes you are doing well!
  • bern2bern2 Member Posts: 1
    I've a problem with the passenger side window. Very rarely will I lower it. Summer returns - down goes the window--never to be seen again. I need to check if there has been a recall. If not, I understand its another expensive big job. What was the final outcome of your switch /motor problem?
    you aren't going to find a recall for a window problem. A recall is done for a serious safety issue, not an annoyance. You may find a TSB or two, but not a recall. I don't think you can decide that is "another big expensive job" from the details you've offered. It could be as simple as a window track that needs to be adjusted or lubricated. Taking the door panel off for that will take 15 minutes.
  • firefighter9firefighter9 Member Posts: 1
    I imagine that this has already been discussed. I have a 2003 Ford Expedition, bought it used about 3 weeks ago. Every week I have to clean the brake dust off the rims. I noticed that this is a problem for alot of the Expeditions on the road in San Antonio. Does anyone know if Ford has a fix to this, or should I just buy better brake pads that don't produce so much brake dust?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Ford does have new "low dust" pads for the Expedition. I had them put on only the front of our 03 Expedition since the rears were not worn out yet. The front rims are now actually cleaner than the rears. It made a huge difference. You have to buy the pads for all four wheels at once since they come as a kit. They supposedly need new mounting hardware according to Ford, although my mechanic said that wasn't needed.

You could also go aftermarket pads.