Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Bluetooth

neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
Lots of requests for possiblity of handsfree Bluetooth system for 2006 Avalon. I took this off my manual:

Called blueconnect by autointelligence 1-800-406-7132
www.autointelligence.com

1300 W 23 ST
Muncie, In, 47302

Sales 1888-454-4440
Installation 1-800-406-7132

www.jciblueconnect.com

Go forth and prosper!

Comments

• cctenncctenn Member Posts: 1
    I am picking up my new 2006 Avalon and it has the factory installed Bluetooth.
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    See if it is same company as mine. Mine was from dealership as well.
  • mike2thmike2th Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to use the factory installed bluetooth? I have been led to believe that my RazrV3 is compatable with the bluetooth in the 2006 avalon but i have been unsuccessful figuring out how to have it connect.

any advice?
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    I am seriously considering this vehicle to replace my 02 BMW 530 but am concerned about two features.

After reading above, etc.........and comparing the NAV System to my wifes new Odyssey, I can't believe how much better Honda's is...................maybe I'll buy the Garmin for $800.00 but was hoing to keep the dashboard cleaner on a new 34K vehicle. The Acura TL is just not the direction I want to go.

Additionally - I just received the below directly from Toyota on Bluetooth.......which is something I really want in a new car.

Response (Rose) 06/08/2006 12:44 PM
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize; we do not offer Bluetooth technology as an available option on the 2006 Avalon. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200606081104. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience

Then they sent me this:........

Response (Rose) 06/08/2006 12:58 PM
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We appreciate you contacting us with your inquiry.

SET (Southeast Toyota) is a private distributor and may have options and/or accessories that are exclusive to their region. SET includes: Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Florida.

SET accessory information may be obtained by calling 800-301-6859 between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM, Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.

We recommend contacting the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership for clarification about the options and accessories available in your area.

Toyota Customer Experience

So, I am waiting for a call-back from SET, and wondering how I get Bluetooth in the Chicago, IL area?

Thanks
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I would buy the unit from SE distrib. and have it installed in your area. Contact me directly for pic of system. Also, not much of downgrade from BMW...just different

Here is the UNIT http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2323834
  • aparghapargh Member Posts: 1
    I think I can help. I purchased a 2006 Avalon Limited this week and it is fully loaded. I did get the Bluetooth installed and it is one of the best units I have ever used. Please note that it is not a factory nor a dealer option. Toyota does things differently from most manufacturers and uses a middleman company in my region called SET (Southeast Toyota). Many options that are listed as "factory" are installed when they get off the boat in Jacksonville. The unit they installed for me replaces the Sunglass Holder on the ceiling in front of the sunroom and the interior lighting. The unit is called the BlueConnect and is from AutoIntelligence. www.autointelligence.com. The number from the included brochure is 800-406-7132. Allow me to note that it is a simple pop in module that includes both a concealed microphone and speaker as well as an answer button and volume controls. The sound quality is excellent...as excellent of a bluetooth unit that I've used. It took about 30 seconds to set it up and unlike others, allows you to select your own PIN. It is all done by voice recognition. I used it to connect a Palm Treo 700P and the pairing was seamless. It also allows you to connect additional phones and grants you the opportunity to give each phone a priority. I hope this helps.
  • niteoneniteone Member Posts: 41
    so, did you put this bluetooth unit in yourself? Or did you have the dealer do it?
  • jwcooperjwcooper Member Posts: 2
    If you would like to order the part that TMS gave you a reference on you may go to WWW.Autointelligence.com and purchase BlueConnect. This is the highest quality unit in the market today. Do not be fooled by others, I have one of the BlueConnect units in my vehicle and it is great. I hear the unit is built by a automotive supplier so with that kind of quality their is no question.
  • chabowskichabowski Member Posts: 5
    The autointelligence site didn't have price that I could look up. It's a convenience feature not a necessity so price is important to me...
  • rfr_98rfr_98 Member Posts: 3
    Does your bluetooth kit integrate with your dvd nav sys?
  • jrjhmjrjhm Member Posts: 26
    When I go to that web site, I don't see any way of ordering a unit. I've clicked on all the choices but can not find a link to order a specific product.
  • jwcooperjwcooper Member Posts: 2
    You can look under the distributor section of www.AutoIntelligence.com for assistance or you can call 1-888-454-4440 for sales assistance.
  • rxdocrxdoc Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 2007 Avalon Limited and just had the Blue Connect system installed, $375 plus tax from Dealer Direct here in Phoenix. You can get the various Blue Connect dealer locations from the AutoIntelligence website. They will tell you the price of the unit if you want to install it yourself, and if you are not planning on installing it yourself, ask them for a installation location recommendation in your area. At the local level is where you are apt to find a difference in pricing. The price for the unit could be $350 if you just want the generic color and not one that is matched to the interior. I got a grey one to match my interior. Pairing your phone to the Blue Connect system is really easy and the system itself is fantastic. The one piece of advice I have if you are installing it yourself is to be very careful when cutting the opening for it using the template. It is designed for a tight fit with no room for error, so if you cut the opening too big, you will be in trouble. That is why I let someone who installs these everyday do mine. Good luck.
  • jrjhmjrjhm Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for that helpful information.
  • donleycottdonleycott Member Posts: 5
    I see that Bluetooth is a factory option now for the 2007. Would someone who has this option on a 2007 please tell me how well it works, how complex it is for a non techie person

Thanks

Pat
    I am told that there is no way to get a radio with AUX inputs on the new 2007 Avalon. Has anyone installed an aftermarket AUX input and if yes which one?

Pat
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I have an '06 XLS w/ JBL 6CD (w/o NAV) and have a Peripheral Electronics Ipod interface that plugs into the back of the radio. It works great. I know there are several versions of adaptors, I believe there is one with just RCA inputs so you can jack in whatever you want (DVD, Playstation, etc) As far as I know there is no difference between '06 and '07.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Thanks, thats good news. Did you install it yourself?
    Would you mind telling me the cost?

Pat
    The interface was $149 at Best Buy (may be less now). I was going to install myself, but when they told me only $60 to install I let them do it. The cable is run to the inside of the center console, so I can plug my I-pod in and stash it away. It charges it and allows me to change tracks from the radio, or control it direct.

• mlincoln05mlincoln05 Member Posts: 13
    is your phone one of the phones listed on the auto intelligence website? If not, did you have any problems paring the phone. Based on your post, you didn't. Did the dealer say anything about this? Thanks.
    I finally installed the blueconnect and it works great! It is a simple process. I bypassed their instructions regarding how to wire and wired it as if I was wiring an alarm, same proces. Cutting the hole in the overhead compartment was relatively easy (only warning, stay within the line and file away as necessary.) The wiring was the most difficult part, having to pull the a pillar down and run the wire to the the fuse box and t-tap into the power, auxillary and ground wires. I think anyone with limited skills can do this. Don't pay Al and Ed's price of $250 for instillation. They are rip off artists. Also, buy the system online as it is much cheaper than their prices. I paid $170 on ebay and I have seen prices range from $219 to $289 online and up to $375 from dealers and audio shops. Anyone interested, I think you should check it out.
  • larry_steinerlarry_steiner Member Posts: 2
    Hi Crew! I just installed a Parrot Bluetooth kit in my 06 Avalon XLS with JBL sound. Works great. Syncs with my phone, has voice control, cute pictures of who is calling (assuming you have them on the phone). Incoming / outgoing calls mute the JBL sound system. I connected the output to the center dash speaker. The installation took me about 3 hours. I went slow and paid attention to details. Any questions? Feel free to email. Larry_steiner@comcast.net. I will do my best to help you. Regards, Larry
  • oskerosker Member Posts: 3
    How is the overhead compartment held up? Do you just pry the front down? Thinking of putting blueconnect on my 2007 Avalon. Thanks
    It is held in by two clips that have metal brackets on them. When taking it out, be careful because the metal clips can get caught in the metal roof area. If so (mine did) go to the toyota dealer. They are about $2.00.
  • woodya29woodya29 Member Posts: 1
    Scosche Industries announced on 5/4/2007 a AXIPTA Toyota auxilliary input box that supports Bluetooth iPod. They claim it is designed specifically for the Avalon and retains all existing jbl radio function. They claim it also can support Bluetooth cell phones with an additional feature product named "UBRH". Hook up is via aux input on the radio and works by muting the radio and passing voice thru existing factory speakers. I've had difficulty getting install info and wonder if anyone has already researched this product. Scosche claims that the wiring interface is designed specifically for the 2005-7 Avalon with jbl and GPS.
  • warren35warren35 Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I just recently purchase a 2009 Toyota Avalon and we are having a problem with the bluetooth. First I paired the cell phone and entered 3 names with a telephone number for each name. I am having a problem with the voice recognition system correctly entering numbers that I'm calling out. The first day that I tried using it, it missed a lot of numbers and I would say that it hardly worked. It got to be very frustrating, since I was trying to make a call and for one number set containing 7 digits. In fact it got so bad that I finally entered one, two or three numbers at a time and still had to command it to "go back" in order to correct the number. The next day it worked nearly flawlessly. Each day it acted slightly different. I finally took it in to the local dealer and had their bluetooth expert to review the problems with me and he saw what the problem was. The most severe problem is the system has a hard time distinguishing the fives from the nines. It interchanges these two number pretty regularly. Their were some other minor recognition problems too. Anyway, he said that this was a voice recognition problem and didn't offer any solution.

Is there a solution to this problem? I find it hard to believe with Toyota's record on quality, that Toyota has installed a bluetooth system that is defective.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to fix this problem.

Warren
  • tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    I experienced the same problem as you with the Bluetooth having a problem between 5 and 9. My solution was to change the direction and position of where I was speaking from. Rather than speaking directly into the mic (which I believe is overhead near the light) I spoke forward into the steering wheel. I haven't had to do other numbers, but at least it worked this one time.
    Since I posted the earlier message, I've done some extensive checking and have now done everything that I know to do. The only problem that I'm having is the voice recognition system doesn't recognize the "nine". It usually will "hear" a five instead. There was also a problem with it recognizing a name that I had entered. I remembered that the door was open when I was entering all of the data, etc., so I thought that some noise from outside of the car had distorted my pronunciation of that partictular name entry. So, I deleted the entry and re-entered with all of the doors closed. That fixed that problem. I went back and deleted 2 telephone numbers that I had previously entered that contained a "nine", then re-entered those 2 telephone numbers, hoping that it would correct the problem with recognizing the "nine". Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I've actually tried directing my voice in several different directions in hopes that I could find a direction to voice my number, but I had no luck. I tried your suggestion of directing my voice toward the steering wheel, but this didn't fix the problem either. I even tried using different accents and pronouncing "nine" in many different ways, but no luck again. I have tried everything I know with no fix. So, I am in the process of setting up an appointment with the Southeast Toyota bluetooth expert so that he can examine my bluetooth to see what can be done. This is the only problem that I now have with the bluetooth.

Warren
    I hope he can help you. Since this is a common problem for Toyota Bluetooth and not just for your setup it may not be fixable unless they have a software upgrade available. It seems you've tried everything.

I believe there is also a system whereby you can put the number in by dialing with the phone. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.
    You can use the bluetooth in another way. I've opened my cell phone, opened the phone book, then selected the number of the person that I wanted to call and then hit "call". When the person that I called answers, it comes through the bluetooth system. In the mean time, I leave the cell phone in the opened position sitting in my lap. That way it's hands off after you've dialed on your cell phone. After the call has ended, I hang up the phone with the steering wheel button. Then I close the phone in my lap.
    Another concern that I have is that the navigation system may not recognize some of the commands that are in that system. I haven't gotten that far. Before I meet with the Southeast Toyota bluetooth expert, I want to check out all (or most) of the commands in the navigation system. I have found that it takes a lot of time to learn these two systems and to test them too. The bluetooth system with the cell phone is pretty straight forward, actually. I scanned through the navigation instruction booklet today, and it appears that I will have to spend much more time with this system testing the commands.

If you should learn anything, I would appreciate your sharing it with me. I'll post again when I get through the navigation system and again after meeting with the bluetooth expert.

Warren
  • amauhryamauhry Member Posts: 55
    If you do as Warren says, even after turning off the car’s engine the call can remain open as long as you don’t close your phone. By putting the ignition back in the “Acc” mode, the car will pick up the call again. The message is: you don’t have to keep the engine running in order to maintain the call up (handy when, say, you reach your destination but you haven't finished talking).

And you can maintain the call active through the car’s system even if the phone is away from the car (about 12 feet of clear space between you carrying the phone and the vehicle). This way you can talk through the phone’s mike and still hear the whole thing through the vehicle speakers (ideal when you’re outdoors around friends in a picnic and they all want to participate in the call). The message: you don't have to be inside the car if there's no need to.

Amaury
    ’08 Limited
    Amaury,
    That's good information that you've posted. I have found that you can just sit in your car with the engine off, but the key in the "acc" mode and you can experiment. I have spent a pretty good bit of time just testing the voice recognition system and playing with all of the different commands.

Thanks everyone. Let's keep this thread going.

Questions anyone or any good suggestions?

Warren
  • amauhryamauhry Member Posts: 55
    Warren,

Kool, isn't it?

This much I know: the Bluetooth in my Avy is a power Class 2 device, meaning that it can reach up to about 32 feet of wireless radio communication. The fact is, being that Bluetooth uses radio waves, you don’t need to have a clear path between the phone and the Bluetooth antenna.

In practice, I’ve been only about 10-12 feet away from the car with no obstruction in between.

Amaury
    ’08 Limited
    I got word back this morning from my dealer and he said that the rep at Southeast Toyota said that Toyota acknowledges that there is a problem with the voice recognition system with distinguishing the "nine". He also said that Toyota should have a DVD that will be sent to each 2009 Avalon owner that will fix this problem and said that it will be done around mid-year. I'm not sure that us owners will receive a DVD, I think that you will be notified to come to your local Toyota dealer to have the DVD inserted by their tech to update the software.

One other thing that I learned that should be very helpful for all new 2009 Toyota owners is that there is a site that you can visit to get tutorials on most of the features of the cars. I went to the site today and looked at it briefly and saw that the latest Toyota Avalon is a 2008 and the 2009 model wasn't listed. I don't think this makes any difference. This site is www.toyotaiguide.com. The tutorials seem to be basic but very helpful. I hope this helps everyone.

Warren
    I have an '08 Avalon; however, I believe there is very little difference between the '08 and the '09 especially with regards to this feature. At least I hope so. I will ask my service department about this mid-year. Thanks for the update.
    Me again. I just went to the toyotaiguide.com and found that the 2008 was the last listing. The guide was very handy and I was able to find out how to adjust the volume of the phone. It was very loud and annoying.
  • clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    Hi All, I am purchasing a 2006 Avalon Limited and wanted to know if anyone has used this Bluefusion from Scosche. It appears to have just been released based upon the below link

Scoche Press Release for Bluefusion for Toyota

Has anyone used this or taken a closer look? It appears to be a fully integrated Bluetooth device. Also does streaming audio from ipod or MP3

Here are some tidbits from the PR I linked to above.

"Scosche's BlueFusion is easily installed without cutting or splicing factory wiring and can be done with a simple plug-and-play harness. Simply route the microphone where desired and use Scosche's installation instructions to connect the interface. With Scosche's tuneSTREAM (# TZ4) stereo Bluetooth transmitter users can stream audio from their iPod or iPhone directly to any factory stereo connected to BlueFusion.

BlueFusion is designed to interface Bluetooth hands-free (HFP) and streaming audio (A2DP) to a consumer's factory stereo. Scosche's BlueFusion offers advanced capabilities such as caller ID displayed on the factory screen with easy "answer" and "end call" buttons located on the steering wheel controls or assigned buttons of a factory stereo, and voice dialing for a true hands-free solution. Whether listening to a CD or just tuned into a radio station, Scosche's smart interface will switch itself to the correct source to view the caller ID. The interface menu enables users to check missed calls and dialed calls. Scosche's built-in DSP noise and echo cancelling software ensure a crystal clear conversation even in noisy vehicles. "
    Looks nice, however I would think if your Avy has factory sat radio you would lose that as this interface uses the same port.

I am picking the car up in the next couple of days. I am pretty sure it does not have the SAT since when I hit that button a few times, it stayed on AM. I would probably prefer the Bluetooth anyway over satelite given the choice.

Thanks for the heads up.

Have you heard of this company before? Do they make a quality product/
  • simon7simon7 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my 09 Limited and had mine and my wife's cell phone added to the bluetooth system. I wish there is a easier way to switch phone without going thru layers of voice command menus. Also I could only transfer one contact phone # at a time to the bluetooth system. Is there a way to transfer all my contacts from my cell phone to the bluetooth system all at once?
    Simon,
    If I understand your first question, you can have an easy switch on your phone programmed to switch back and forth between your phone and your wife's phone. In fact, I went by Verizon and the guy there programmed a quick 2 or 3 step process to switch between phones. I've been told that as far as transferring a bunch of telephone numbers or your entire directory to your Avalon, it depends on what kind of cell phone you have. My daughter has a 2007 BMW and it has a much superior bluetooth system. In her car, she can easily transfer her entire cell phone directory and just turn a dial to select a number to be dialed while driving. It's a dream compared to the Toyota voice recognition system. I digress. I hope that I've been helpful.

Warren
    Warren,
    Thanks for answering my questions. The Avalon is my wife's car so the bluetooth in the Avalon is setup to pair with her cell phone as default phone. I also registered my cell phone in the car. If I happen to drive her car, I would have to go a few menu selections to pair up with my cell phone. I don't think I have to do anything on my cell phone to get it paired up with the car system. I am not sure what you meant by switching back and forth between mine and my wife's phone?

I have a Motorazr cell phone and according to the user manual, I can only select one contact to transfer at a time. Even if I could transfer all contacts at once, it still needs some kind of synchronization between the cell phone and car system to keep the directory current. I don't think that feature is available in Avalon. It seems your daughter's BMW has a very good system. Does it automatically sync with the cell phone directory?

I have heard all kinds of negative comments about the Toyota Nav and voice recognition system. That was the reason I chose not to have the Nav system installed and opted for a portable unit (Garmin 255W), which has far better features than the factory systems. You wouldn't believe how hard it was for me to find an Avalon Limited without the Nav system but has the Laser Cruise Control. I did have a few minor problems with the voice recognition system as I tried to program the bluetooth car system. Name like "Gary" was too short to be recognized and I have to really stretch out the name to make the name recognized. It sure made my son's name sound fun when I tried to call him from the car:)

Simon
  • jgettlemanjgettleman Member Posts: 3
    Hello~
    I just bought a 2009 avalon xls. I do not have a cell phone contract and understand that I need an "unlocked GSM phone with stereo bluetooth."

Can anyone help with phones I can use? Brand and models?

Thanks,

Jerry
    We have a Motorola Razr phone and it works fine with the bluetooth in our 09 Avalon Limited.

Simon
    Can anyone help with phones I can use?

Any newer phone with Bluetooth should work fine. Just make sure the phone you buy has Bluetooth (i think most all do now) and you are good to go. If you can't set it up, ask your salesperson from the car dealer to help you out.

Thanks Simon
    THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE tjc78. I'm now off to go shopping!!
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I too have '09 Limited and Motorola Razr phone. Is it just me or can you not get the "caller ID" to appear on the screen when making or receiving calls? Also, whenever I talk on the phone, I have to raise my voice a lot to be heard. Sure seems like there should be a solution.
    Hi all, I recently picked up a used 2006 avalon limited. I love this car. Got rid of my Infinit M35x at end of lease. That car guzzled gas.

Anyway, I was looking at some aftermarket BT options and came across this

Scosche BlueFusion

My 3 questions are....

1. Has anyone used this product before?
    2. Since this unit is made for the Toyota Avalon, all you need to do is pop out the radio, and plug it into the Sat Radio plug. No wire splicing at all. (My car does not have Sat Radio built in)
    3. How hard is it to pop out the radio? Where can I find a manual to show me how to do it?

If anyone has removed the radio, I would like any advice or tips.

Thanks in advance to all.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I wondered if there is a way to have the "caller ID" feature show on the dash screen rather than just say incoming call. Secondly, are the rest of you disappointed in the poor voice quality of the bluetooth system? Sounds very muffled or flat.