Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Audio System Problems

couchguycouchguy Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Volvo
i have a 98 C70 Coupe, for the first time ever, i tried playing a CR-RW in the CD_changer, and the system would not read it, instead it went on to load the next CD that was in the changer. id like to know if this is a defect from my system, or if the CD-RW i used is no good, or if the CD player system will not read ANY CD-RWs
thanks for the help guys

Comments

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    It could be the CD. I'm no expert, but for music/audio, I think CD-R's are supposed to be used, not the CD-RW's. They are for data. I have a '99 convertible with the SC-901 and have had no problem with the CD-R's I've burned.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I agree with tmart. My own experience backs up the CD-R working and the CD-RW not working. I think that there is a different laser bandwidth that is used in the CD-RW units that is not compatible with the audio CD player laser.
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    I usually have 18 to 20 tracks on my cds. I have an HP cd burner and use the program that comes with it. I have noticed that since I upgraded (or downgraded) my system to Windows XP from Win98 that it takes a couple of seconds for the cd player to 'catch' on the new cds that I created. The old cds work fine however so I think that XP did something to the software that I use to burn the cds. The two programs that I hear are best (albeit for software and perhaps not mp3's) are.....
    Adaptec
    Nero (think it is 'cd Rom-burning') as in Rome is burning or something.
  • windwardwindward Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 LT c70. I am original owner and LOVE it - but have not been posting on boards for long time. I have had almost no problems and have 47k miles now. Every minor problem has been covered under warranty. My question is - the stereo is great but now I want XM radio (satellite stuff). How hard/expensive is it to outfit this in the c70? Do you lose any audio quality?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    the quality is only as good as the head unit. If you have that pro-logic stereo, it will be very difficult to match that quality. In any case, for that vehicle, I would go to a professional, reputable stereo installer and discuss options. They will most likely have to modify the dash is some way.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• windwardwindward Member Posts: 2
    yep - I have the pro-logic version with the huge middle speaker. The sound is really awesome and I don't want to mess it up. I plan on asking Volvo this week when I take it in for maint, and will also take your advice and find a reputable installer to discuss.
    Haven't tried the newest one in my player in the car yet. I have a question similar to qbrozens...

Have you tried the cds that you burned in a REGULAR cd player yet? And I know I keep saying this but....You need to ensure that you burn it in a format that is consistent with cd players. You can't just burn the mp3 files onto the cd.
    OK Guys.

TDK CD-R Music cds. White with small silver dots around. You can get them in spindles at Target. I use the 80Min/700MB ones.

Used Real One Player and burnt them at 4x speed.

Remember....
    Make sure that you use CD-Rs and not CD-RWs
    Make sure you burn an 'audio' cd so that it is compatible with cd players.

Or.....

For $20 you can give me your play list and I will burn it and ship it... or maybe $30...heck...$40. waitaminute...I just bought an XC90, better make it $50
  • apolloc70apolloc70 Member Posts: 13
    has anyone changed the car deck on their C70, im getting tired of the look of it and it doesnt read too well off of copied CDs, not does it play mp3. does anyone have any models they can recomend...? thanks
    Surround and wouldn't change it for the world. Ain't nothing better out there!
    On the CDs.
    Use TDK CD-R (No CD-RWs)
    burn at a slow speed and make sure that they are in cd audio format.

On the stallnig
    I'm in Chicago and it would take a bit for my car to warm up but I have had no stalling. Did you get yours used? Have you always used the high octane? Is it possible that the plugs or injection jets are dirty?

Soledoc....
    Was down there this weekend. Played Winding Ridge 48/53 which I am happy with for the first round of the year.
  • steamroll9steamroll9 Member Posts: 14
    yes, i have yet another question. Have had my 2002 C70 coupe for almost a week now, so far, i'm loving it, it was a big upgrade for me. think i got a pretty good deal too, automatic, sc-901 system, little over 19k miles, paid $19,300. needs a couple of minor things(tires, back bumper need to be re-painted, passanger side mirror will need to be replaced, but still works, goin to get leather covers til the spring). wished it had variable intermintent wipers(my old altima was the same), but i'll live.

ok, now to my question. I had a 12 disc cd changer in my last car and got used to it. I understand that my car is pre-wired for a cd changer. I've checked out some posts and saw that it is possible to use an alpine changer with the system. Which models can i use? where can i get the adapter from? where does the changer install and get hooked up? will the alpine MP3 changer work with the system? if i find a volvo changer on ebay, which models will work with the sc-901 system? will crutchfield know any of this info?

sorry for the 20 questions, would like to get the changer soon. i've already gotten an extra 3 disc magazine of of ebay to try and satisfy me til then. thanx for the help!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    you can get it right from your Volvo dealer. I seem to remember they are only like $200 (unless I'm remembering incorrectly). I also seem to remember that its only a 6 CD changer, so I don't think its much of an upgrade from having the two 3-disc magazines that you currently have.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Also remember when you add the 6 disc, usually mounted in the glove box, you still have use of the 3 disc in the head unit, so you have a 9 disc unit. With the extra magazine you're back to your 12.
  • cambrocambro Member Posts: 18
    Hey gang,

I recently sent Volvo Corp a letter requesting info about Ipod and/or aux connections for the C70. Read and weep the answers below to my questions:

"I read a review of the C70 on www.autobytel.com wherein the author (Thom Blackett) states "of special note, an auxiliary jack for items like an ipod should be forthcoming for the 2007 model year." Can you confirm that the 2007 C70 will be equipped as such?
    ANSWER; The only ipod available, for the new 2006 C70 from Volvo, is a Volvo Retailer installed unit using an FM transmitter. We're hoping to have an integrated unit sometime in the beginning of 2007, We would love to have this ready for the initial 2007 models coming out this year, but we don't have anything definite yet."

"Will the 2007 C70 be equipped with an ipod interface (not the FM transmitter) similar to that in the S60? I think many people who purchase this car (myself included) are techno-savvy and desire such an item.
    ANSWER; We anticipate they will, but we don't have anything definite yet. We can't comment or recommend ipod units or installations from other companies."

"Will the 2006 or 2007 C70 be equipped with blue-tooth technology for hands-free telephony? Nothing is stated regarding this option on your website, but, again, I think many people will want this technology (given that it's standard in most >$25K cars now).
    ANSWER; The 2006 C70 will have blue-tooth, hands-free availability. This will be a Retailer installed accessory."
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I'm guessing that you wrote VCNA.
    VCNA is the importer, Volvo Cars Sweden is the manufacturer.
    That being said, VCNA doesn't want to promise equipment that Volvo Sweden hasn't given them a deadline for.
    This has happened in the past w/ the XC90 nightvision and the BLIS system.
    There will be a system sometime on 07, we just don't know when.
  • cambrocambro Member Posts: 18
    since you're a volvo dealer maybe you can shed some light on this. what's going on with volvo's design team if they don't make possible a feature incorporating an ipod/aux jack?

clearly the market they're after is mid30s professionals with $$$ to spend (like me). people in my age group are big on digital music. I really do like the C70 but this was almost a dealbreaker for me (granted i'm big on music).

i haven't lived in the US for a few years so I had to research the satellite radio option that the C70 will offer as a possible alternative. while sirius isn't as great as having my 20GB of music handy via ipod, it seems like it's pretty cool (despite the monthly fee).

hopefully www.densionusa.com will provide an aftermarket ipod integration device for the C70. i wrote to them after my research showed they produce similar products for MB, ferrari, etc. they said that s40/c70 is something in the works but no promises.

anyway, i'll get off my soapbox now
    the reason is actually simple. The design team simply didn't think it was necessary.

Volvo engineering has always been about simple solutions and a lack of toys and baubles in their cars.

This design frame of mind is changing, but it is a slow process.
    The new S80 will have an aux input for example.
    When volvo updates the audio package for the S40 and C70 they will incorporate an aux input as well as the ability to connect sat radio to the car.
    Sirius will be available as a factory option start w/ the Oct 06 production. This means the cars would arrive in the US in late Dec.

An Aux port will be standard on the 07 cars.

Also, Keyless Drive will be available on the October cars as well.
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    Volvomax,
    Thanks for all your great information. Couple of quick questions...
    1. Auxiliary Port - is this the much desired mp3/iPod adapter? When available for '07 models, will it be possible to add this as a dealer installed option for the cars for arriving June/July?
    2. Sirius will not be available on the cars arriving June/July? The brochure states it is included with the DVD Navigation System... is this not correct?
    3. Keyless drive would be great... no question.

4. Is the Oct '06 production the beginning of the '07 models? I have read '07s would be available in Sept/Oct... has this been pushed back?

5. I have had a car on order (Fall '05 deposit and Feb '06 special order) and I'm told it will arrive in July... should I just wait for the Oct '06 production run?

Thanks again for all the great information and advice.
    Answers
    1 the aux port will play any mp3 player, including the ipod. I seriously doubt that it can be retro fitted.
    2 Sirius will be available on the cars built in Sweden in the month of October. these cars will arrive in the US in Dec. It is not included w/ the Nav system.

4 We don't have a firm time frame for the 07's. I'm guessing Sept/Oct. Those cars would be built in June/July.
    5 Can't tell you to wait or not, if you want ipod and Sirius you will have to wait till probably Dec.
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    Just found out that if you want Sirius (factory installed) you have to wait for the '07 models and only the '07 models produced from October '07 on..... I put a deposit on this car back in Decemeber, pretty frustrating.... :mad:
  • millenrmillenr Member Posts: 28
    I was told by my dealer that with the navigation system, the C70 is pre-wired for sirius. when the adaptor comes in for 07, it is a retrofit item for the 06 model. This is what I am counting on.

Volvomax - any clarification on this?
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    Millenr-

I was told that the '07's have a different audio unit than the '06s and that the '06's could not be retrofitted (I don't know if a navigation unit on the '06 makes a difference - I did not order the nav). I originally ordered the '06 until I found this out and now I am waiting for the '07 which I might push off to summer '07.
    the sirius pre-wire option on the 06 is only avaliable when the navigation system is ordered. This is where the retro-fit would be possible, based on conversation with my dealer.
    Its a typo on the spec page.
    The 06's won't have Sirius capability.
  • curemecureme Member Posts: 18
    Anybody know if the MP3 capability and the auxiliary input features for the 2007 models will exist for both the standard audio and the Dynaudio? I really want the Dynaudio, but I waited for a 2007 specifically to get the auxiliary input. Thanks.
    the aux input is standard on all 2007 C70's.
  • tombontombon Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2007 C70 on order, due to arrive in early November. I am getting the Navigation, so the car will be pre-wired for Sirius. However, I am not opting for the Sirius since the programing on XM appeals to me better.

Will the pre-wiring do me any good if I look to install XM in the car? Otherwise, where would I put the antenna?
    The C70 WILL NOT be prewired for Sirius.
    That is an error.
    The Sirius unit is only available as a factory option.

Needless to say, the XM unit won't work w/ the factory system.
    I know that you have said this many times, yet the literature still states the pre-wire for Sirius. I picked up my car last week and I have the navigation system - so I asked the dealer again, and he said that it was pre-wired for Sirius.

I believe you know what you are talking about, just why doesn't all the other dealers know this?
    I don't know why they don't know.

I did check w/ Volvo and they confirmed that none of the C70's are being pre-wired.
    I don't know if the C70 Sirius unit will even be available as a dealer option.
    It is a factory option on the 07's.
  • barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    You are right on the $.
    Sirius is now a option for 07 cost is $295.00.
    I just ordered my loaded C70 for 10/3 delivery.
  • freddy8freddy8 Member Posts: 13
    I've searched the archives, and it's still unclear: does anyone know how I can get the definitive on hooking up an mp3 player directly to the premium sound system in the C70 -- I do not want to buy a car for which I'll have the mp3 player's sound translated to FM radio signal to get it into the amp of the car. (the loss converting CD to MP3 is all the sound quality loss I think I can stand). Looks like the '7 may only have the accessory to hook it up and bring it in as an FM radio signal. Thanks!
  • jtregojtrego Member Posts: 68
    I am not sure why you would want to listen to mp3s on a premium sound system. I mean, the sound quality of mp3 even on a lower end system is really unsatisfying, but for a high end system, such as the dynaudio in the c70 the imperfections of mp3 are so obvious it would seem to defeat the purpose of having such a great sounding system to begin with. I suspect Volvo took this into consideration when they made decisions about how the sytem would be built and with what features to include. For me, the only advantage to mp3 in car audio is the portability. I have a high end system in my current vehicle and can't stand listening to the mp3s.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    does that mean you only listen to CDs, or that you use a different format for what is on your iPod???
  • curemecureme Member Posts: 18
    I spoke with my dealer because I had the same concern and I have been assured that the auxiliary input for the radio (both standard and dynaudio) is a direct wired connection and not via FM. I actually gave up delivery on my '06 this month and delayed until November to get an '07 with this feature.

As to the quality of MP3s on a high end stereo, I've got a great system at home and stream MP3s all the time. As long as the bitrate is high enough, it sounds pretty dang good in my opinion.
  • crixycrixy Member Posts: 3
    Hear in the UK the AUX input will only be on the High Performance or Dynaudio model - so not on the base 'Sport' model. From volvocars.co.uk MY07 specs:
    'Aux Input (in conjunction with high performance or Dynaudio Premium Sound) (£650.00 option on Sport model)
    This handy mini-plug socket, positioned in the deep storage bin behind the centre console, allows you to connect a portable music device, such as an MP3 player, to either the High Performance or Dynaudio Premium Sound Audio System. Volume is conveniently controlled from the steering wheel or centre console.'

It's the only thing missing from my MY06 T5 manual...

Could be different in USA of course.

C.
  • freddy8freddy8 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks everyone. I passed on my '6, because I've had my last car 9 years and don't like the FM modulator route sound quality.
    Only the 2007 model has the aux input for MP3 players
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    Hi All,
    Has anyone found a good FM transmitter or other solution for the '06 C70. I love my car so far, but am getting sick of burning discs and miss using my iPod in the car. I wasn't a huge fan of the Volvo option which was the left, driver side dash mounted option - I'd like something a bit more discreet - thinking something I can use from the center console area. Any suggestions? Any and all help and leads are appreciated.
    Many thanks!
  • browntbrownt Member Posts: 6
    Here's a great solution that the guys at Tweeters stereo store came up with for me. You take a wireless FM modulator (Clarion) with an MP3 output and put the modulator in the trunk, right next to the radio unit. Then you run the MP3 output up to your xm radio on your dash. Because the FM signal has so much shorter to travel, you don't get nearly the interference you do by just using the wireless capability in the xm radio itself. I had it installed yesterday and it works really well. Now if they could only do something with the whirring noise/barking dog ....
  • cricket4cricket4 Member Posts: 94
    Earlier Volvodriver posted the following:
    "Hi, I had my Bluetooth installed a couple of months after I received my car. I received a comprhensive manual and the Bloothtooth works great with one exception the sub-woofer in the rear still thuds and booms even though the rest of the audio system mutes itself - Volvo service at my dealer states this is an issue without a fix and told me just power off the stereo during phone calls... A quick question for other Bluetooth users with the Dynaudio system, are you having the sub-woofer issue as well?"

I thought a new thread would make it easier to find info on Bluetooth and/or Audio Systems...
    My Bluetooth was fixed by the dealership. It used to come out of the sub-woofer/rear speakers only. Now it works properly. It comes out of the side speakers. When I am making a call the radio/audio mutes. I don't get thudding/thumping/booming or anything else through the sub-woofer. I do not have to power off the radio. It seems to do that automatically... I hit the blue button on the bluetooth, the radio mutes and the radio screen turns to the generic audio screen and the only thing I hear is my call... when I hang up / cancel / exit, the radio returns to normal.
  • tombontombon Member Posts: 11
    I have been using the Bluetooth for about two months and until your post I thought the entire sound system went quiet during my phone calls. However, I now notice the sub-woofer noise during calls. It is subtle, but it is there. Maybe my sub-woofer settings are a little lower than yours???
  • redbuzzredbuzz Member Posts: 57
    I haven't gotten my C70 yet. I'm getting the Dynaudio stereo and the navigation system. In the photos it appears that there is a center speaker in the dashboard, but that is where the screen for the nav system is located. Whats up with that?
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    The NAV system pops up from the top of the dash when you press the button. When you shut it down it recedes. It's not the same screen as the audio screen.
  • redbuzzredbuzz Member Posts: 57
    Yes, I realize that. In pictures of C70s without the nav system, it looks like there is a speaker in the same spot. There even is a Dynaudio logo. Is this a center speaker and if so, what becomes of it if there is a nav screen in that spot?
    I don't have the nav system but I know what you are talking about and I wondered the same exact thing. (What happens to the center speaker on the front dash when you get the nav system?)
    My subwoofer setting is about two notches past center. I've not noticed it yet. I'll try to listen for it again and post later.
This discussion has been closed.