Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• scdscd Member Posts: 15
    Same problem here. The dealer replaced the two front seat bottoms. Day in the shop for "evaluation" then another day for replacement. It's been about a month and a half and looks like they're starting to crack again.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    i have an '02 explorer with leather. it does help if you treat the leather with some conditioner. the cracks seem to get less noticable. maybe if you use enough of the stuff they will go away(doubt it). the hard part is letting it soak in for a while. you want to rub it out with a towel before you sit.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • nmclemorenmclemore Member Posts: 1
    :cry: :mad: :sick: :confuse:
    Please Help Me!!!! I just purchased a 98 Expedition XLT last week and I am having problems already!!!! The Transmission is having trouble going into first gear. It's fine after I get started....it's only going into first.....has anyone had this problem? I had the transmission serviced, but it didn't help.
    Also, the alarm keeps going off, and the key is not working (to sensor) in the ignition or in the door. The only way to turn it off is to unlock it with the keyless entry.
    AND I was going down the road this morning and the brake light came on.....I'm freaking out!!!!!! Somebody please help!!!! I'm running out of money!
  • universalgcuniversalgc Member Posts: 2
    An Eddie Bauer and a Limited? This is probably a dumb question, but I am new to the Ford lineup and have to pick out an Expedition model for a company car. The pricing between the two is similar, so I'm just curious what the differences are.
    I had an 02 Expedition XLT for three years and never had a problem with the leather seats. Considering I've only had my new Expedition for three months I don't think the leather should be cracking. I think Ford went to a cheaper leather. Even the service advisor admitted to the problem. I hope the others on this site with leather problems insist on replacement that way Ford will take notice.
  • unhappy8unhappy8 Member Posts: 1
    We also have a problem with leather seats cracking.
    The middle row of our 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition has cracking in the center of the two-toned leather seats. This started about 6 months after we bought it. The dealer said they would not replace them until they are actually peeling off. One of the seats is almost there. There is no way this is normal wear and tear. The driver's seat gets twice as much use as the others and it looks fine. The dealer said they would monitor the wear. We called the customer service and got the same song and dance. It looks ugly. Ford should stand behind the products they make or use. Our GM van's leather seats didn't start showing wear until 8 years of use.
  • lcaklcak Member Posts: 1
    I looked for about a year for a cat back system for my 2000 expidition. The systems I saw had one tailpipe in the orginal location or two exiting behind the passengers rear tire, . Gibson exhaust has come out with a system extreme dual exhaust, which has a tailpipe exiting behind each real tire, looks like real duels. I installed the stainless steel system on my truck last week. The system is not as loud as I expected, and there is not any difference in gas milage and I have not noticed any real difference in power. I am not knocking the exhaust system, just stating what I have found, I still like my truck, fast and thrifty she is not. PS fortunatly my 98 GT is.
  • caseman22caseman22 Member Posts: 8
    I kust got my Expy back from the body shop. someone hit and caused $4,700 worth of damamge. i am now noticing a leak. i went under the truck and noticed there was no skid plate under the engine. there is one under the radiator and gas tank but no where else. Where were the factory plates installed? It was an option the was on the factory window sticker.
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    Looking for the best tires for a EB 03 . I would like a quite and soft ride I do NO off roading but a small amount of snow. thanks chris
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    Check out the GoodYear Fortera HL Silent Armor tires at Tirerack.com. Highly rated and may be exactly what you are looking for.
    Thanks, I will look into it Do you have them ?
  • doceddiedoceddie Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in buying an O3' w/ 23,000 miles, Eddie B 4x4. I want an expedition and want to pay around that price but have heard tell that the 03' was a problematic year, but it is hard to search the forums for reliable review. Does anyone like their 03'. I can get an 04 XLT 4x4 w/ cloth seats though, and 32,000 on it. What should I do? I want reliability mostly, but the EB edition is nice. HELP...I can't afford a :lemon:

thankss....
    Normal Wear and Tear. If your car was a lease turn in I'm sure they would ding you for the condition of the leather, saying they are beyond normal wear and tear. Luckily, I'm still under warranty. I paid extra money for my leather seats, they weren't cheap. They shouldn't be cracking three months off the lot. Hopefully your dealer contact who said they would replace them is still employed by your dealer. Keep complaining to Ford. I haven't complained to them yet, because the dealer has replaced my cracking seats, both front bottoms. In fact, maybe I'll send Ford a note, because as soon as that dealer rejects my next replacement (replacement leather already looking like it is going to crack) Ford will definitely be hearing from me. Otherwise, love the Expedition, except for the A/C grunt on startup.
  • doceddiedoceddie Member Posts: 3
    I'm buying 2003 eddie bauer but it has captains chairs in middle seat. I actually want the whole bench. What can I do. I called 2 local dealers and they said, "You gotta buy a new Expedition to do that. Hey, I happen to have one..."...HELP...Family growing tooooo quickly.
    thanks... :confuse:
  • rnichols1rnichols1 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO, I JUST BOUGHT A KING RANCH EXPEDITION WITH THE BENCH SEAT. I WAS DEAD SET ON THE CAPTAINS CHAIRS, UNTIL MY HUSBAND REALLY MADE ME LOOK AT THE BENCH SEATING. I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE CAPTAINS CHAIRS, BUT IF YOU PUT THE CENTER PART OF THE BENCH DOWN, YOU HAVE THE LOOK OF THE CAPTAINS CHAIRS (MINUS THE ARM REST) AND CAN USE CENTER SEAT AS AN ARMREST PER SAY,IF YOU HAVE 2 ADULTS IN THE BACK, OR IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLE KIDS OR PEOPLE TRAVELING ON LONG TRIPS YOU'LL HAVE TWO AREAS TO TAKE A NAP!!! YOU CAN ALSO PUT THE CENTER BENCH SEAT DOWN AND MOVE IT FORWARD AND KICK YOUR FEET UP AS A FOOT REST TOO!!! I HAVE NO KIDS MYSELF, BUT MY FRIEND WHO JUST BOUGHT A NAVIGATOR- UGH- WITH THE CAPTIANS CHAIRS, SAID HER DAUGHTER IS ALREADY COMPLAINING, WANTING HER BENCH SEAT BACK FROM HER PRIOR VEHICLE. I WILL SAY THOUGH- I LOVEEEEEEEEE MY KING RANCH LEATHER- JUST BOUGHT A 2006, HAD A 1999- WHICH I ALSO TRUELY LOVED!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Michols!

Welcome aboard - glad you're enjoying your Expy. Just an FYI - people tend to ignore posts written in ALL CAPS so you may want to chack that CAPS LOCK button on your keyboard.

tidester, host
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    I don't have the silent armor tires, waiting till the spring when winter duelers come off. Just noticed the new Fortera Triple Treds are on tire rack now. Another option for you.
    i have an explorer with a bench second row. on a trip, my kids fold up the left and right second row seats, stow all their stuff against them so they won't drop back down. they put the portable dvd on top of the folded down middle seat and sit in the 3rd row to watch. :)
  • remkommandoremkommando Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know whether a 2001 Ford Expedition Center Console will fit into a 2005 Expedition? I know the vehicle went through a make-over in 2003 but I'm not sure if the interior was re-designed. Thanks.
    No ,Not even close
  • jswagsjswags Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an 04 XLT with 28000 miles. It rides very rough and bumpy. Someone had mentioned the roters might be bad. I test drove another vehicle and it did not seem to be as bumpy. Can anyone give me any advice?
  • mbjbmbjb Member Posts: 39
    jswags,

You might want to check the air pressure in all the tires. It may be the tires are over filled. This can cause a hard rough ride. Just a suggestion.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "I just bought an 04 XLT with 28000 miles. It rides very rough and bumpy."

I agree with the post about checking your air pressure. Also, I would have the tires balanced as well. What kind/type of tires are on the vehicle?
    I have Continental Contitrac TR. I have had them rotated and balanced. The mechanic at Ford drove it and said there was nothing wrong as we were bouncing all over the road. He said the air suspensions help the ride. Do you have air suspensions? I will check the tire pressure. I am thinking about trading it in and strating over!
    hey chuck, shall i tell you about my gas mileage with my explorer? ah... never mind. ;)
    good of you to try to help out jswags.
    if the tires check out for good pressures and balance, maybe they just need to be replaced. check how much tread is left. my wife's escape has conti's. hate them.
    it is probably cheaper to get some good tires than 'start over'.
    Thanks for the help. The tire pressure was fine. After 3 mechanics at Ford saying nothing was wrong and me insisting that something was wrong-they told me it had been wrecked. The car fax had come back clean but apparently the car took a pretty good hit to the left front. So now I am starting over! Still think an 04 seems like a good year. I would welcome any advice.
    i had my '00 expedition turned into a 3 wheeler, no left front. after it was fixed, it drove fine, although there were some other problems. did you take it anywhere besides 1 dealer to diagnose the problem?
  • wtxgdadwtxgdad Member Posts: 1
    Have owned an 04 EB for two years and still find the ride to be somewhat rough. Have air suspension. Vehicle is wonderful on smooth pavement but significantly rougher than my 04 Avalanche on rough pavement. Don't know the answer unless it's the air suspension ... would like to hear from those without air suspension.
  • remkommandoremkommando Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in putting in a center console for my 2005 EXPY, however FORD apparently has little guidance in this area. Does anyone know where an after market center console can be had or perhaps one that might be compatible? I've looked at numerous universal ones at the traditional auto parts stores but nothing even comes close. Thanks.
  • tinamarietinamarie Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I say go for it, the 03. I have a 97 expy that is considered problematic and the first year they started making expeditions and guess what- she is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have 191,520 miles on it and have had it for 6 years with absolutely no problems except for normal things like replacing brakes and some electrical quirks but never have I ever been broken down or shimmied and shaked with tire or rotor problems. The bottom line is every car has a opportunity to be a lemon, even Japanese cars, so that 03 you are looking at could be a great vehicle. Let us know what you end up with.
  • sschroedersschroeder Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to replace the bulb for the courtesy lamp in a Ford Expedition? I am referring to the one located on the cieling between the two front seats. It's in the form of a plastic lens that you push once to turn on and again to turn off. I can't figure out how to get inside to replace the bulb. Thanks, Steve
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford Reportedly Will Bring Out a Stretched Expedition (Inside Line)

And it should fit in your garage!

Steve, Host
    Yes, this is just what the public needs in time of escalating gas prices. My prediction, just like the Excursion sales were tanking, this will not sell over 50,000 units a year. Then again, if it is truly just a stretched platform, the R&D to bring it to market wasn't that much.

And Ford and GM wonder why they are in trouble!!
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    The stretched version will probably use a negligible amt of fuel and is needed as with the rear seats up there is little space for luggage. I had a Grand Voyager and the
    mileage difference over the short Voyager (empty)was slight.
    Yes, but full size SUV sales are down. While this might not be "fullsize" the SUV market has tanked. Ford has already said that they don't expect to sell anywhere near the volume of the Explorer they used too. This model (stretched Expedition) seems destined for failure.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I actually kind of disagree with that. I think the people that really need/want a big vehicle like a stretched Expedition are more inclined to eat the higher fuel costs than say the Explorer crowd. I see the Explorer crowd as more the soccer mom type. I think they would be more inclined to go to a more fuel efficient vehicle than the full sized crowd.

But of course, I could be wrong again.

Karl
  • nwfootballa42nwfootballa42 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 1998 red eddie bauer 4x4 with the 4.6 liter. i would just like to say i love it. i have had no problems with it at all and i just rolled over 99 thousand miles.the only thing i would change is that i would have gotten the 5.4 but i bought it used a year ago so oh well. another great product by ford
  • pattyschoicepattyschoice Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the problem of the heated seat not going on? If you push the button the indicator lites than goes off. I checked under seats for loose wire or chafed wires butI found nothing.This is on a 2005 Expedition and only 20,000 mi.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2004 EB, It is normal for the Heated seats to go off after 15 minutes, the cooled seats after 30 minutes. Otherwise do both seats do the same? Make an appt,it's under warranty
  • nbxnbx Member Posts: 28
    It been a while since your post, but I was wondering if you are talking about a console for the 2nd row between optional captain's chairs? Or do you have a Special Service Vehicle (SSV) that comes without a front row center console if you don't get the front bench seat. (typical law enforcement aftermarket equipment such as radio,etc.,is then mounted in the space between the basic front cloth bucket SSV seats)

I have the 2nd row C/C, but have found them to have only about 15" seat height, a bit hard, and not very well suited for grown-ups. 2nd row C/C do give additional floor room and better access to 3rd row seat. Preferred 40/60 2nd row seating in my previoius 2000 by far to current 40/20/40 or even the 2nd row C/C.
  • whtelefantwhtelefant Member Posts: 1
    Having the same problem with my 98 with 90k. Just started not allowing me to put gas in. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
  • vjcvjc Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 EB and the heated seats worked for about 2 days. They now go on then off immediately. I am going to wait about a week to make sure everything else is working.
    Had this problem with my Ford Contour. At the time there was a TSB on it. It had something to do with the filler neck not venting properly. It was a $700.00 repair to drop the gas tank, had I paid for it. (It was under warranty.) However, it could be anything with your fuel system. It could be a plugged up line to your charcol fuel canister that collects the vapors from the gas tank. At any rate, I strongly suggest taking a problem like this to the dealer. And we know that can get expensive!
    Good luck.
  • expy225expy225 Member Posts: 1
    Was wondering if any one has had their differential worked on. There is a TSB out on it. You can feel a vibration or rubbing sensation at low speeds. Especially when turning after backing up and driving forward. I had the work performed 3 months ago and is already making the noise/vibration again. In the shop now but of course they can't duplicate the problem.
  • haakhaak Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what to expect for parts/labor of an aftermarket keyless remote entry for a 2000 Expedition?
    This is one of several reasons why Ford (and GM) are near bankruptcy. Toyota and Honda have waiting lists months long for their Hybrid offerings, and Ford is making huge SUVs when gas is at $2.50/gallon. I don't feel sorry for them.....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some more links and a short blurb here. (Straightline)

Steve, Host
  • Every time GM has updated the Tahoe, it has gotten a complete restyle.

This is Ford's second "major" revision of the Expedition, and once again they did an interior upgrade, some mechanical refinements and a styling change to the front clip. Why do they persist in thinking that they can use the same greenhouse, windows and doors (with an occasional tailgate change) over and over and still stay at the front of the pack? They don't do this with the F150 anymore, but they have with the Explorer (until 2002 when the first fully new body since 1990 debuted...and then repeated that body in the 2006 "makeover"), the Windstar/Freestar, the poor neglected Ranger (same profile since 1993), Crown Vic, Escape, etc.

I'm sure lots of money and engineering went into the 2007 update, but from the side and rear, even enthusiasts will be hard-pressed to tell a 2006 and a 2007 Expedition apart at a glance.

The Expedition should sell ok (within the now reduced sales levels of large SUVs), but the Tahoe will be the "latest thing", and that will give it a sales advantage (as long as most people do not find the styling objectionable...and it appears they don't).
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    It looks goood to me! Roughly equal size, power, and towing capacity compared to the GMs. The main advantage appears to be the IRS with flat folding third row, which seems to be the main gripe about the 2007 GMs. Not a big deal to me because I have two car seats back there and it's not that big a deal to remove it twice a year when I actually need the extra space. But it is an advantage. I really like the Ford interiors. We bought a Yukon XL last year because I need room for stuff behind the third row, and there really was no competition except Excursion which we didn't like for a variety of reasons and cost a lot more. But now I can consider Ford again when it's time to trade. I like the new styling, kind of a blend of new Explorer, F150, and F250. Can't wait to see some test drives and comparison tests!

To the doom and gloom folks, I agree with Zman3. There is still a market for big honkin' SUVs. Soccer moms with only one or two kids will trade their Explorers for more fuel efficient alternatives. But the rest of us who truly need three rows and don't want a minivan are happy to see the new EL and Suburban on the market.