Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro Transmission Problem

124»

Comments

• race18race18 Member Posts: 1
    1995 astro changes all gears at high rpm. Rebuilt trans but engine has to rev higher than should to change. When it warms up it does better but should change quicker. What wd cause this?
  • canuheminowcanuheminow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 astro van (2 wheel drive ) that started leaking fluid from where the cooling lines go into the radiator. I had to drive the car so I kept on adding fluid to it so it didn't run out. I only had to drive it a short distance but in that time it started it started to slip. There is so much fluid all over there front of the engine and front suspension that its hard to see where its actually leaking from. The upper line is clean so I figure its the lower line. How do I fix this? Do I need to replace the entire line? did I mess up the trans by running it and if so is that an easy fix? I dont have alot of $ right now and need this van for transportation. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • rich2767rich2767 Member Posts: 1
    Ive got a 98 astrovan, and when the temperature outside is above 40degrees the van slams into second gear. when its freezing out its fine? any help??
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    Like most 2 x hoses in the same location (especially of older age), when one blows, the other one blows soon after. With this in mind, if you replace 1 hose, I would replace both. Especially if you plan to keep your van longer.

To clean the oil off the eninge / transmission, do investigae GUNK. I use this stuff on my motors and it works great. re: http://www.gunk.com/prod_photo.asp

Hope this helps...

• datkins1datkins1 Member Posts: 4
    I would like to have more information about this fix please... email me at jjrudy65@aol.com

Thank you...
  • squirrel69squirrel69 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 chevy astro all wheel drive with 151000 miles on it in June driving from my parents house came to a stop sign went to take off the van would not go. tried twice then tranny let out two big bangs then it took off, going down the road the tranny shifted funny and it would not go into overdrive, i got it home and went to leave with it, it had lost reverse. so i called my tranny shop and they said the valve body went. they quoted me $1800.00 to $2000 to rebuild w/a 12month/ 12000 mile warranty. to let you all know don,t do it. i found a place out of Arizona on ebay that sells brand new rebuilds for $625. The tranny is dyno tested and comes w/ a 2 year warranty and unlimited miles. I have read all this people who have spent big time money having them rebuilt and still having problems, I had this tranny shipped right to my tranny shop and had them put it in for $600.00 and got a year warranty on their work Overall i"m very pleased with the work and I got my van back quick When you buy the tranny they recommend you change the torque convert too or they won't warranty the tranny cost of $175.00. They charge shipping fee depends on where you live, mine was $400.00. The shipping is two ways. To your door step and then to ship core back to them. Overall it cost me for everything $1800.00 but was worth every penny. I would do it this way again before i would go to the dealer or have a tranny shop rebuild one..... I'm a mechanic of 25 years and didn't have the time to do it myself, just became a truck driver, better pay !!!. If i was going to do it myself I would still go to this place and get the tranny you are not going to get a better price or warranty.. Call them at 1-888-996-6378... They will work with you to the tee.... They do trannys for all vehicles not just Astros
  • aarchbaldaarchbald Member Posts: 1
    If the transmissoin is from the same make and model they well chang and you don't have to have the transmission reprogrammed
  • mwx4mwx4mwx4mwx4 Member Posts: 2
    i have 96 astro awd wife had flat tire and ran a odd size tire on 1 wheel for about a month until van broke down , have always heard awd has to have same size tires or creates pressure in trans, anyway she thought trans seal blew out however dont appear so fluid level is correct put correct tire on but now is kinda grinding noise with a jolt in front end at low speeds especially in reverse scared to take down road had to have towed when broke down sounds like maybe something in front diffrential any ideas ? can front diffrential be unhooked or does that affect the pressure also , looking cheapest fix right now van has over 200,000 miles on it and has been excellent , looking to get newer one before long.not sure whats going on any help would be appreciated.