Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• pancaketomatopancaketomato Member Posts: 3
    Did you get those little blocks when you bought the car? Should the dealer be providing those? I never got them.
  • crshamblincrshamblin Member Posts: 1
    I have 98 Expo which I bought new and noticed that the engine would knock until it warmed up. Everyone said it was nothing. Then my car died. The dealership said the engine had to be replaced (TO the tune of $4200.00!!) At no time did an oil light come on, or an engine light come on. I had the oil changed in Oct. and the manual says every 6 months. Has anyone had problems like this? or know what I should do?
  • suejacsuejac Member Posts: 1
    dscobb - I just had my 99 Exp EB 5.4 in for a cracked head gasket. It smelled like a burning belt. The service dept said it is a common problem with 99 Exps. They had to replace half the engine, and would not give anything besides a standard 1 yr/12,000 miles warranty. Doesn't help me since I'm at 24,000 miles. They didn't mention anything about a recall notice but covered it under my warranty. I'm still having a problem with a horrible pinging noise when I'm sitting idle or turned it off. Service says it's normal for a Ford to make this noise. I've owned 3 Fords and never had one make this kind of noise. Good luck with your service dept. Mine could care less.

Just talked to a friend that owns a 99 Exp XLT. Their Exp was in the shop for a burning oil smell this weekend. Diagnosis - a cracked head gasket. Looks like it's a common problem. Anyone else experience this, and what did you get out of it. I can't believe I can only get 1yr/12,000 miles after replacing half the engine.
  • ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    Just ordered 01 4X2 Arizona Beige Expedition, 4.6, limited slip differential, comfort & convenience, side airbags and rear sensing. $29,217 with x-plan pricing from eaa.org. Chose 2.9 financing as opposed to $1500 rebate. Dealer says 4-7 weeks for delivery. Anyone know if this is accurate time frame?
  • etjlaetjla Member Posts: 3
    The blocks came with the Expedtion. They were in the garage door opener console when I first opened it along with the velcro.
  • carey3carey3 Member Posts: 5
    My 99 is leaking oil at the head gasket. The vehicle is 2,000 mi out of warranty. SOL is what I hear from the dealership. I also have the pinging noise before it warms up. Sounds like I am in for some trouble in the future. A recall would be nice. Keep posting about this. Also, where can I find TSB's on the subject. I also found information at www.ford-trucks.com
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    When I was considering ordering a new Expy, the dealer told me it would be a 6-8 week wait. Given the huge numbers of new Expys on the lots here in Denver, I would imagine the production line is running at its slowest speed.

We finally found a local dealer (Phil Long) who orders new Expys equipped the way I wanted, so we bought a new one off the lot rather than order one.
    You said: "They had to replace half the engine". Is that accurate? What parts did they replace besides the gaskets? Cylinder head? Intake manifold? Could you please list the parts?

I'm interested because Toyota replaced BOTH head gaskets in our '95 T100 truck a few years ago and ONLY replaced the gaskets; no other parts.

I agree you've been treated badly. Any other dealers nearby that you could try?
    rickc5 - thanks for the information re: delivery as well as differentials in an earlier post. I actually e-mailed Phil Long Ford, figured 450 miles wouldn't be too far to travel for a good price. Had very good prices there, but nothing on lot I was looking for. Living in Kansas I have only about 1-2 days a year I need 4X4, and on those days I can just wait for the road crews to do their job. Thanks again.
    I have noticed on several sites the option of changing the standard stereo with cassette to a standard stereo with single DC (not the 6 disc DC changer). Fordvehicles.com has it listed as a feature with late availability. My dealer says it he can't find it and it is not available, does anyone have one installed? If so where do I direct my dealer for information. Thanks.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Why don't you just get the 6 and keep the cassette? It really doesn't take up that much room in the console.
    That is what I'm doing. But, one would be no charge and the 6 is another $421. Trying to save a few dollars - my cassettes are so old the tapes would probably break if I tried to play them so don't have much use for the cassette and I don't own a total of 6 CD's.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "He brought you "Confessions Of a Car Salesman" to give you the inside story of his undercover work as a car salesman. For this chat, Chandler Phillips goes one-on-one with "The Cardinal", Dependable Dodge's own Marc Antonucci . Don't miss this battle of truths as these two give it to you straight."

If you haven't read Edmunds.com's confessions of a car salesman, I highly recommend you do so. I found it very entertaining, and yet enlightening as to what may go on in auto dealerships.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    My wife and I are picking up our new XLT 4X4 tonight. I'm very excited. We had not problems finding exactly the one we wanted, with the exception of side air-bags and the reverse sensing system. Personally, we opted to go without the 6-disc changer because it isn't compatible with any after-market stereos, as far as I can tell. One of the first things I'm going to do is replace the tape deck with a new CD player.

As far as the production of the Expeditions goes, the plant was shut down for one week in February because the inventories were a little high. However, they're back to running full bore like they always have (no slow-down in production). The delivery times you guys are hearing from your dealerships seem a little long to me ... perhaps there's late availability with the side airbags.

Anybody install a bug/stone shield on their Expedition? I'm looking for one for which I won't have to drill through the sheet-metal.
  • hdlouiehdlouie Member Posts: 8
    Replaced my shocks on my 99 XLT with Edlebrock shocks ISA's. About 69 bucks from Summit. Great improvement on handling. Also bought a Helwig swaybar for the rear.

So far had the Engine replaced at 20500miles for cold start knock. Now I'm going to take it back for the rear class door hinges that are making a bad noise when opening. And the recalls have been taken care of.

So far happy with my X, I think every manufacture has it's problems but good a dealer can help a great deal.

99 XLT 5.4L 4X4 3.73LS Superchip Dynomax Exhaust
    Airaid Intake 285/75/16 BFG KO's
    How has the Superchip affected your performance? Any change in gas mileage?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    The performance is great, and better shifting.
    The MPG will be the same or just a little better.
    At first, playing with the performance of the vehicle, my MPG was down about 1-2mpg. Because I was flooring it all the time. Then I learned to mellow out to get back my mpg. Rule of thump, if you drive fast=low mpg, drive conservatively=for me 13.5 city. I can get over 400 miles on a tank on the hiway with a cargo carrier on top. I would just say no to better mpg because of the fun factor. Hope I didn't confuse you too much.
    Oh, you have to run 92+ octane, keep that in mind.
    It's a performance chip.
  • showbearshowbear Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to order a 2001 Bauer. Research on the 'net gives me mixed reviews of the load-levelling suspension. Some say "harsher ride", "less suspension travel for off-road". Others say "better ride" and "great off-road". Like most of us, my use is 99% on-road. I'm interested in load-levelling for its promise to drop the behemoth 3" when parking. Does this work well, and what other comments? Also, is it possible to drive 20 feet while lowered (garage). Thanks in advance.
    I just picked up our new Expy last night, and did not get the load-leveling suspension. The step-in height doesn't really bother me too much, and I actually prefer stepping up into the Expedition than falling into my Acura Integra.

I've mostly heard that the ride is better with the air suspension, but my main concern would probably be reliability. I don't know if people have seen problems with it, but it's just one more thing that could go wrong!
  • 1dani1dani Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2001 Expedition in Nov 2000. It doesn't want to pump gas without clicking off every few seconds as if it is full, but it's not. Gas also spills out after each click. At Chevron, after pumping it for a couple of seconds the gas explodes out of the gas tank!

I've tried Mobil, Chevron, Unocal with old and new nozzles. The problem happens every time.

It's very frustrating because the dealership has never had this problem and they have been quite difficult in wanting to help me because they think it's a "gas station problem" not a vehicle pumping problem.

So I had to be very aggressive with them to make them understand that the problem is not with the gas stations but with my vehicle. Finally, they took my vehicle and one of their vehicles to the gas station. Their vehicle pumped gas just fine. Then they put my vehicle at the same pump and it didn't work.

Anyone else have this same problem? If so, what caused it? HELP!
    Go for the LLS. The way your going to drive it makes sense. I haven't heard of many complaint other than the compressor gets a little noisy and you have to disable it when the repair garage lifts it on a rack. Now I have heard of people actually adjusting the height by adjusting the position of the sensor. Buts that's another story. I would get it if I was in your situation.

Lou
  • richardheadrichardhead Member Posts: 1
    So far I haven't had any major problems with my 99XLT, 5.4L. Only minor things, recall on wiper controls (damn wipers came on by them selves) and rear wiper motor replace under warranty. Other than that runs great, over 35K on it, 14 MPG all the time, great on the highway, great in the snow. Overall I'd say the quality has been a pleasant surprise, but still not quite the same as our new 2001 Honday Odyssey....
    Can I purchase a smaller remote? I have a older Genie with a big remote. It's programable by dip switches, but its just to big and heavy for the compartment over head. After a while it comes loose from the adhievsive tape and rattles. I't will have to be one that can learn my frequencies. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lou
  • past8tprpast8tpr Member Posts: 1
    Finally!!!! I picked up my 2001 5.4 on Sat. What a beautiful vehicle. After many hours of net research, I chose to go with the 5.4 over the 4.6 because I heard that the 5.4 will get about the same mpg as the 4.6 because it doesn't have to work as hard. Any one else find this to be true? I still can't believe that Ford puts the 4.6 in a vehicle this big. I drive a Crown Vic everyday as a State Trooper and this engine can't get out of it's own way in the smaller car!
    I ordered the "NO BOUNDRIES" package on my Exp. 17" 5 spoke wheels and the chrome accent on a black exterior really makes a difference. Also the interior is a little different from the standard XLT.
    I can't figure out how to set the push button code on the drivers door. The manual is confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    The LLS can be turned off via a switch found high under the passenger side foot well. Not practical to reach from the driver's seat. We have the LLS and I don't notice the difference of height when getting in and out. I still have to use the running boards. I am about 5-11". I believe the 3" it refers to come when you are operating in 4x4 low range and stop to get out. It slowly lowers back down. I don't do that often in my commute to work.
    As for smoothing out the ride. It seems to be smoother than the 2000 XLT we drove for a week on vacation just before buying the 2000 EB 4x4.
    Unfortunately, I suspect that it may also be the reason we have to constantly "steer" the vehicle while driving on straight roads. It seems to have a non directional drift that requires constant steering (tiny increments) from one side to the next to keep traveling in a straight line. We didn't remeber the XLT doing that.
    If you still have those original "death tire" Firestones, they are likely the cause of the drifting you are experiencing. The steering on our 2001 EB felt real sloppy and loose until I replaced the Firestones with Michelins. The steering tightened up and the ride even improved (less mushy).
    Don't expect to get better than 14 mpg. We get a consistent 13.4 in mixed driving with our 2001 and a friend gets 13.5 with his 2000. After all, you're pushing a REAL heavy brick down the road. Enjoy!
    It did have firestones on it, but I wouldn't take delivery without a different tire. The dealer searched (I did as well) fruitlessly for the 17" michelins. They couldn't be found due to demand and I ended up with Goodyear Wrangler RTs.
  • bear36bear36 Member Posts: 10
    Back in message 113 Gasguzzler asked about the K&N air filter. I put a K&N air filter on my 2000 5.4. K&N claims you can gain as much as 15hp. I don't know what 15hp feels like but I did notice a difference. Starting from a standstill I have not noticed much difference if any at all, but when I am going around 45mph to 55mph and I romp on it, there is a noticeable difference in how quickly the vehicle accelerates versus before. I have noticed gas millage improved from about 12.5 to almost 13.5, in mixed city and freeway driving.

My next step it to use synthetic oil, that helped my old Explorer increase gas milage, and I am looking to put a Gibson swept side exhaust on the Expy. The Gibson swept side is supposed to be the quietest one out there I am told. Anyone else have experience with after market exhaust on Expy's?
  • gpoole91gpoole91 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone found an alternate, lower profile antenna. Ours broke off from hitting the top of our garage door. Any other ideas to prevent this from happening before we replace it on Bauer 2000 model.
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for the info. Hey steve(host) the gas milege does improve.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What, me skeptical? :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I don't think our 2000 EB 4x4 has an external antenna. Is this possible?
    I noticed that my Expedition doesn't have an external antenna, either. However, our rear-most, passenger-side window has what looks like a built-in antenna. Kinda' nice, actually!
  • 390gt390gt Member Posts: 17
    Will trade in 99 E-150 on new Expedition on Monday. Any issues with the 2001 that people have? I read something about driveline shake at highway speeds in the 2000 model. I noticed the extra muffler near end of tailpipe. Is this new, it does'nt look too good. Seems pretty nimble after driving van. Are stock shocks any good?
  • frankno1frankno1 Member Posts: 68
    My wife and I bought a XLT 5.4L three seats with enough options to float a boat for XMAS 2000. I haven't had any problems or complaints to register as yet. We have driven it 1000miles on a trip and the gas mileage could get better. The only thing I wish is I had boutht the EB package so I could have the air suspension. I hope you have as good of luck as I have had. Keep on motoring.
  • traveling101traveling101 Member Posts: 31
    I have been driving minivans for ten years. It is time to trade this one in, but instead of another minivan, I am considering an Eddie Baur Expedition or other large SUV. Since so many more vehicles on the road are now higher-riding SUVs, I am not feeling as safe on the road with another minivan.

My problem is passenger space. With 2 kids, carpooling, dog and grandparents toting to dinner 2 or 3 times per month, we need 3rd row seating. I have tested all the new large SUVs and was most impressed with the Expedition and Toyota Sequoia. Although these are really impressively easy to handle, I am really not comfortable driving something as big as these. I also searched the midsize SUV market, but I haven't seen any with REAL back seat room. Many 2002 midsize SUVs are coming out with 3rd rows, but I don't know if I should wait to see how roomy they are compared to the Expe. and Sequoia. I just want some feedback about this 3-part delemma.

1. Exped. vs Sequoia...which is better and why?
    2. Wait for the 2002 midsize SUVs
    3. Get another minivan with dependable ease for passengers.

Safety is my main concern, while the other needs above are to be factored in also.......someone help!
    Well, I am definitely Ford biased and my wife and I just bought an Expedition. However, we did not even consider the Sequioa because my wife works for Ford and we get a decent discount on Ford products. Also, you can get 0.9, 1.9, and 2.9% financing on the Expeditions until the beginning of April.

So far we like our Expedition a lot, but my guess is that long-term the Sequoia will have better overall reliability. Toyota is well known for their reliability.

As far as the size goes ... I have always driven smaller vehicles (compact cars), and it didn't take me long to adjust to the Expedition. The steering at low speeds, especially, helps a lot when moving around in parking lots, gas stations, etc.

I was very impressed with the new Explorer and Mountaineer (2002). The '02 Explorers have just started arriving at dealerships so should be available and inventories should be increasing quickly. The third rows in these vehicles are actually quite impressive, especially for mid-sized SUV's. I'm 6'3" and sat in the third row without much difficulty. Also, the new Explorer and Mountaineer have 4-wheel independent suspension which greatly improve ride quality and handling.

Please let me know if you need any more info (klkrause@speakeasy.net if you'd like to e-mail me).
  • traveling101traveling101 Member Posts: 31
    Thank you so much for your response. I am very curious about the 3rd row seating on all the new midsize SUVs. I assumed they would be tiny, but being a tall family ourselves, more room back there is mandatory! I will go see if we have any 2002 models at our dealerships.

But about the Expedition, I also have some questions. The salesman I dealt with for my test drive turned out to be a novice (his 5th day on the job!) and later I discovered he mildly misinformed me about some features. Maybe you could help. In the Eddie Bauer, does 4 corner load leveling suspension really help with rollover prevention? And is it that feature that actually gives the vehicle air suspension or are those 2 different things? Also, why are some models so much higher off the ground than others? Is it the difference between 2WD and 4WD, or air suspension/load leveling? And didn't I read somewhere that ground clearance is actually adjustable (for easy entry and exit) or am I thinking of another SUV?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
    As far as I know the load-leveling suspension is the same as the "air suspension." It is supposed to lower automtically to help ease of getting in and out, but I haven't seen it in action. I've heard some people say that the ride is a little better, as well, but again haven't ridden in two of them to compare.

As far as helping to prevent roll-overs ... I can't imagine that would be the case. If anything, the higher the vehicle is off the ground, the easier it would be to roll-over. After driving a few hundred miles in our Expedition this weekend, I noticed that you definitely have to take it a little easier when cornering, but it's not so bad that you feel like you're going to roll-over all the time. Once you are adjusted to the taller, larger vehicle I'm sure it will be second nature to drive like you really should!

The 4X4's are indeed higher off the ground that the 4X2's. We ended up getting a 4X4 without the load-leveling suspension and I personally like the higher ride, but again I'm quite tall and have no problems getting in or out.

Where do you live? How many dealerships do you have in your area? We have literally 10 Ford dealerships within 20 minutes of where we live, so I found one I liked and purchased from there. If you are seriously considering a Ford vehicle, please let me know and I can probably help get you a lower price, as well.
    I concur with KLK that the air suspension and load-leveling suspension are indeed the same thing. I don't have the air suspension on my new 2001 EB, and having looked underneath, there's nothing connected to the rear axle or suspension except shocks. That's it.

I compared the Expy to the Seq extensively before I bought. Our Eddie Bauer saved us about $9000 over a comparably equipped Seq Limited. This was two months ago, when Toyota dealers absolutely would NOT discount their vehicles. MSRP or see ya later! We now have about 2000 miles on the new Expy with no problems. Its primarily my wife's vehicle and she is quite happy with it. She says the size doesn't bother her. Make no mistake though, the Expy is a HUGE truck. So is the Seq.

One thing: DO NOT SIGN THE FINAL PAPERS UNTIL YOUR DEALER CHANGES OUT THE FIRESTONE TIRES. Don't budge an inch on this! Your family's safety is what we're talking about here. Those Firestones are "DEATH TIRES". I now have Michelin LTX M/S tires, and both the steering and ride were dramatically improved.

KLK is also right about 4x2 vs. 4x4. If your climate/hobbies don't require a 4x4, you might consider the 4x2. The ride height should be a little lower on the 4x2. Also, the EB and the XLTs with the Sport Package have 17" wheels, also adding to the ride height.

Once you get used to how a tall 4x4 handles, there's no problem. you just don't take corners as fast.

BTW- Any vehicle can be made to handle like a sports car these days. HOWEVER, most of the changes to suspension and tires that improve handling also adversely affect the ride quality. Your choice....
  • jmwiijmwii Member Posts: 1
    For those of you who might be looking in N. New England for an Expedition....We just purchased our 2001 EB with heated seats and sunroof. MSRP was 42,300. Grappone Ford in Concord let it go for 37,000. This is less than the Edmunds invoice price for the vehicle. This was at 2.9% for 60 months as well...This seemed like a fair price. Is this price comparable to what others have paid in New England? Thanks!
    Can't compare to New England, but its similar to what we paid for ours in Denver two months ago. Bought it for $650 LESS than Edmunds/dealer invoice.
    I first tested a 1998 4x4 with 16 inch wheels and loved the way it handled and road. I ordered a 1999 4x4 with 17 inch wheel and it was quite a bit higher than the 98. Both were XLT's and road very differnt. The 99 was so sloppy it was scary to drive on the freeway. You had to constanly make corrections with steering to keep it staight.Well as someone mentioned I made a few modefications to stablize it. One, new shocks(Edlebrocks), two, sway bar (helwig) for the rear. And I had Ford replace the steering box for a late 99 and up Expedition. It's not perfect but can corner pretty fast. Down fall is a little on the stiff side. Then I decided to change out the 17's for some 285/75/16's BFG KO's, on 16x8 wheels. Love these tires so far but have to get them in the dirt now. These tires were 1.1 inches taller. You can take a look at my cheap web site that earthlink gave me to take a look at it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~louladot/
  • cobhothcobhoth Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have the Rear Seat Entertainment System in the 2001 EB? Just trying to get some feed back on it. Right now in Northern Cali. The dealers are giving this package away for free.

Thanks for any info.
    What is the difference in gas mileage with each rearend. I can't find the difference.

Thanks
    The difference is most likely minimal. Gas mileage is more a function of weight and aerodynamics. We're pushing a VERY heavy, almost square box down the road and I doubt that the gearing will make much difference.

OTOH- If one were to opt for the 4.6 engine, combined with the highest gearing offered, and compared that to the 5.4 with the lowest gearing offered, there would be a noticable difference of as much as 2-5 MPG, on a level highway. Of course, the 4.6 with high gearing would be unsuitable for towing, high-altitude use and climbing mountains.
    Did your XLT have the Firestone tires on it???

If so, they could have been the source of most of your steering and sloppy handling problems.

I had to drive on the 17" Firestones for two weeks until the Michelin LTX M/S tires that I ordered came in. What an amazing difference! Both steering and handling improved noticeably.

Sway bars don't increase the stiffness of your ride. That's strictly due to your new shocks. Sway bars will reduce the body roll in turns, and are a great addition if a vehicle doesn't come with a rear one as original equipment. The front sway bar should always be slightly larger (in diameter) than the rear one for the best results. If the rear is larger, the handling can get squirrelly.

I put the Eledbrock shocks on our last SUV, an Isuzu Trooper and was pleased with the results at first, but after three years with that stiff ride, the Trooper sure had lots of squeeks and rattles. I wasn't pleased with those.
  • mbridermbrider Member Posts: 2
    We just traded our 99 XLT Expedition in for an 01 Eddie Bauer Expedition and we got the Rear Seat Entertainment System. We really like the Ent System, its made by Audiovox and has a 6.8 inch screen. It comes with two wireless head phones that work well and help keep the kids quiet on longer trips. The only thing I don't like about the system is that with the screen down it partially blocks my view through the mirror, I just have to remember to use the side mirrors. The special deal on this system is no longer offered so you'll have to find one on the dealers lot that still has it. You should be able to get a pretty good deal right now. We live in So Cal and paid $37150 for a 4x4 EB with every option except for the 2nd row captains chairs. The MSRP was $42915 and there was a $1250 rebate and %2.9 financing for 60 months. We were able to trade our 99 Expedition in and we ended up with payments that were only slightly higher. Overall I really like the new Expedition, our 99 had the 4.6L engine and it just didn't have enough power for things like towing and climbing long hills. Given the slight price difference I would highly recommend getting the 5.4L engine. So far I can't tell any difference in the mileage.
    Hi, any recomendations for best and cheapest dealer in the Bay Area of California?

Thanks,