Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal Electrical Problems

Comments

• horatio1horatio1 Member Posts: 1
    Just received car from mother in Florida and about to retitle and register in NY. Questions on forms about number of digits on odomenter. This car only has 18500 miles and I cannot see or determine if this od is a 5 or 6 digit gauge. There is nothing in any literature that references this. Appreciate any info.
  • sean19sean19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Buick Regal GS Supercharged engine.

I also have been having problems with removing my key from the ignition. It locks into place and I have to wait until I hear a click, or restart the car and try to move the vehicle. It has 90,000 miles.
    In addition, I recently had my ABS lights and Trac Off lights and Service Engine Lights come on when I was driving and they would not go off when the car was turned off. I had the electrical system hooked up to a computer for diagnostics, but the system wasn't able to be reset and I was going to bring it back in later for more testing. That night I went back and changed out my air filter and passenger compartment air filter (which was filthy). After starting my car up, all three lights went off automatically and haven't come back on since. Dirty air in the computer?
    Also, I have some electrical wires that are connected to the air filter hose, between the air filter unit and the engine. Can anyone tell me what they are for?
    Thank you
  • tmjrosstmjross Member Posts: 1
    :confuse:

Hi All,

My 1994 Buick Regal Custom 3.1 v/6 Automatic... quit

NO Juice; I got in turned on key, turned to start and it turned over maybe twice - just a couple seconds and then all went dead;.......No dash lights...no head lights.....no doom light.....no radio.....no blinkers.....no power period !

I thought the battery(?) I had it towed home. Took the battery into be tested and it was a ok - excellent! So I tested the wiring with a ohms meter and a 12 volt tester.

I found juice to both fuse boxes that are under the hood. And all fuses were fine. The starter tested good. The alternator tested bad terminal and so I replaced it.

Still no power; same as before. I am thinking the dead alternator caused the problem.....But I do not know where to look now?????

Any ideas?

WC & TMJ
    Pacific NorthWest USA

http://www.vickiesremedies.com/
  • tomy2tomy2 Member Posts: 7
    I'm having the same problem on my '97 Regal. Electric Odometer doesn't display along transmission settings. Did recommended fix work (replace panel replace resistor)?
  • bobp3bobp3 Member Posts: 3
    My 1999 Regal GSE has started to have intermittent dashboard issues. The issue seems to happen twice a week, for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Here is what happens:
    The tach, speedometer, fuel and Temperature gages do not move, and all are on "0". The following lights come on: Service Vehicle Soon, Anti Lock Brakes, Perf Shift, Trac off, Air bag, Low fuel light. The trip odometer and odometer are lit, but do not register mileage.

I can turn the car off, then back on and everything will work. This issue can happen when I turn the car on, or while I am driving. One time this issue happened for about 5 minutes, then everything started working again. Nothing else is affected, my climate control still works, sun roof works, electric windows work, headlights work, etc.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue. I called my local dealer, and it sounds like they will only be able to troubleshoot this if the issue happens to them.

Any advise or recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • armesarmes Member Posts: 32
    The pass key module behind the ignition switch is probably goning bad. Had same experience on 2002 Montana. You should be able to start car when it totally fails. You will not have any dash or accessory electricals.New module is around $160.00. Installation is medium to hard depending on your experience. Dealer can install.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    FWIW, clean your key before placing it in the ignition. Basad on my experiences, a dirty chip in your key can cause many, many false alarms (and false diagnostics).
  • spider44spider44 Member Posts: 1
    Have a '94 with a problem in that occasionally the dashboard lights remain on long after the timer should have shut them off. Of course, this only occurs after dark and only sometimes. I try to get into the habit of checking the car a couple of minutes after arrival to make sure the lights are out (drained battery a number of times). If they remain on, I take out the fuse (and replaced next day). I have also noticed that none of the heater controls nor the temperature setting controls have lights at night. I have removed the temp setting controls and found NO bulbs in there. Could these be related and anyone have any ideas as to cause and cure?
  • aanikiaaniki Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Buick Regal. 3.8 litre. We recently changed the alternator and battery, last night the accesory belt blew apart, and today we had to replace the tension pulley. The car turns over great but will not start. We unhooked the black battery cable for about 2 hours thinking maybe the computer needed to reset itself...but it still will not start, we thought maya coil???? but cannot locate a coil anywhere, When I say we I mean, my 16 year old son and a neighbor, I am at my wits end and my job is on the line as this is our only car...I have no family close, and a very limited budget...Any ideas??? :cry:
  • tc1458tc1458 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, my 1991 buick regal ltd has cruise control. however when the indicator light is 'on' the cruise control still isn't working. This just recently happened. I went through the car & pulled ALL the fuses I could find. None were burned out.

Thanksfor your input.
    Terry
  • loriw20loriw20 Member Posts: 1
    when car turns the headlights on for the night (2000 buick regal GSL) I have no dash lights except for the where park & drive area are no lights to see heating controls or radio in the day they are clearly visable (lighted). what needs to be looked at or replaced. also my fuel needle is not working right says its 3/4 full but will be almost empty been keeping track of my milage so I don't run out of gas.
  • jmh3939jmh3939 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 regal and my low beams just stopped working. The bulbs and fuses are good. All my other lights work except my low beams. The car has daytime running lights and those are not working either. Does anybody know how to fix this?
  • mooseburgmooseburg Member Posts: 8
    Probability is that when that belt blew apart it also damaged the wiring going to the crankshaft sensor, which is mounted along side the crankshaft balancer. Not an easy job for a novice.
  • mooseburgmooseburg Member Posts: 8
    Could be the daytime running lamp module or your turn signal signal/multi function switch assembly. Not for the novice to diagnose
  • mpsargentmpsargent Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue (headlights on, but no dash) with a 1997 Regal GS. Please be aware that on my car this also effected the read running lights (not the brake lights). When I pull the "head light knob" out, the dash lights come on and so do the read running lights. Please advise on a solution.
  • johnnyb99johnnyb99 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having problems with by battery dying during the cold weather. I found that I had a current draw on my battery at all times. I pulled the fuses until I found where the current draw was coming from. Then I narrowed it down to the gauge cluster. I have no idea whether it's the cluster or the wiring harness. Has anyone else had issues with this???
  • exo425exo425 Member Posts: 15
    Just wanted to know if anyone here has ever changed the alternator on their cars by themselves. If so, how hard is it and what do I need to do. I have a 1991 Regal with the 3.1 engine in it.
  • voditelvoditel Member Posts: 2
    http://www.napaechlin.com/web_app/TechTips/download%2FNA9824.pdf
    as weel as http://www.carforums.net/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=418 saying: Buick Regal LS Engine dies with turn signals. Took it to the dealer and after a couple days with it, they changed out the ignition switch. I have been driving it for about a year now and have had no problems since.
  • edbrown100edbrown100 Member Posts: 1
    For the past 3 yrs my service engine soon light has been on in my Regal. Everytime I went into the shop I'd have that looked at and it kept coding as the EGR valve. The tech would clean it and it would be ok for 2 miles and them come back on. Over the past two weeks I have been having electrical problems. The dash would fully lightup and then blink. The car would stall at any time, then it wouldn't start, if it did start the engine sputtered. And finally I could start the car but not get it out of park. It finally got towed to the shop and after 4 hours of testing it turned out to be the ignition switch. That was changed out and now the car starts, doesn't stall, lights no longer flash, and lo-and-belhold the service engine light has gone out.
  • rican7757rican7757 Member Posts: 2
    Yes there is a reset. What you have to do is turn the ignition switch to the on position and then pess the gass pedal down three times and there will be a light that flashes a few time and then it should be fine. i had the same problem. If it doesnt work with the switch on then turn it in the off position and try it.
  • bruce2995bruce2995 Member Posts: 1
    I have checked the fuse in the passenger panel. All of the dash lights, heater control illumination, radio illumination are out... Dome lights on rear view mirror work intermitantly.. I have replaced headlight switch.

Any help is appreciated.
  • superchargersupercharger Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Buick Regal GSE with 94K miles. I recently noticed that my dashboard lights sometimes come on, and sometimes don't. Sometimes, during the day, if my dashboard lights are on, and I pull out the headlight switch, the dashboard lights go out. Is it as simple as replacing the switch? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    On a 2000 GS, I had various 'idiot' lights turn on an off intermittently when starting the car (whether cold or hot). Took the car to the dealership and after a few hundred dollars worth of diagnostic time, they faulted a bad brake sensor (and replaced the sensor). A few weeks later the same thing occurred. After $200 they replaced an ignition sensor. A month passes and guess what? It's x-mas in July as the dash lights up again.

To make a long story short, I read that a dirty chip embedded in your ignition key can result in many false readings as you start the car. With a soft, dry toothbrush I cleaned the entire key included the chip and it was happy motoring for many miles thereafter w/o the dash lighting up.
  • jack5291jack5291 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Buick Regal that is doing something very strange. I locked the car as normal by using the remote on my key chain. Came back a few hours later and the remote would not work and here is the real mind bender,,,, the key would not unlock the doors or the trunk. I had to call AAA to come out and open it by squezing in through door frame and pulling inside lock with metal rod. Since then after checking all fuses and power (they were all good) and letting it sit a while, the remote works to lock and unlock the car. BUT - the key will still not unlock the doors or trunk. I have 3 sets of keys so I don't think it is key related. I also have 3 remotes. Any ideas? This one really has me stumped. I wonder if there is some kinda anti theft thing that is locking out the key?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • aedaed Member Posts: 8
    Similar problem in my 2000 LS which was getting progressively worse. It took a while to find out how to remove the headlight switch. (I did plan to replace it and found online prices from $95 to $135.) Before replacing it I decided to see if there was anything obvious that might be done to save a replacement. Only thing I noticed was that one of the many spade terminals had a light brownish coating that I scraped off. The next day my dashlights blinked once and have now been operating perfectly for more than 7 months.
  • garys6garys6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 Regal and when you turn on the blower fan air come out of the mid vents and floor even when mid is selected.Is there a damper in the system?
  • garnbgarnb Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Buick Regal and have had the same problem. I took the driver's door panel off and took a look inside and found that the remote solenoid with a teflon plunger coming out of the side of it seems to be sticking in the locked position. (plunger out) You can't get it to go back in with the key, or unlock, unless you wiggle it around. My remote works most of the time, but, every now and then it sticks and you cannot get it to unlock, even with the key. Right now my key on the drivers door will not unlock the door ever...but the remote does work most of the time. When the remote stops working, I have to climb over into the driver's seat from the passenger side. And that is a pain considering we have bucket seats with a console in the middle. I think the remote solenoid has to be replaced. I plan on taking a trip to the wrecking yard and pulling one to replace it. I shudder to think what this part would cost at the dealership. The only problem is that everything in that door pannel is riveted in. My brother works for GM and he told me that all they used was rivets...faster and cheaper. So, one would have to drill out the rivets and put screws or bolts back in.

This is all I have...hope it is of some help...

-Garn
  • maschmidtmaschmidt Member Posts: 1
    A 15 amp tail light and instrument panel fuse periodically blows for no apparent reason. Any ideas?
  • t17wilsont17wilson Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Buick Regal with 104k miles on it that has performed very well for us. However we have been having an intermittent problem with the right front turn signal which seems to have become permanent. I spent a good part of yesterday trouble shooting this issue without success. The flasher blinks rapidly and the front light does not burn but the rear light does. The daytime running light goes out as it is supposed to. It seems to be getting the same voltage to the plug as the left side. I switched the whole socket unit from the right to the left side and the problem remained on the right side. Any ideas? I'm thinking it could either be a fault in the flasher or the controller in the steering column. Thanks for any help! Tommy
  • bucruiserbucruiser Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Regal LS many miles and had the dash lighting problem you describe. Isolated it to the headlight switch. When I did get it out, found burn marks around pin J gray wire although they aren't marked. Took old switch apart, thought it was burned. Gunk had formed on a contact in the switch causing the problem. Kind of trickey to disassemble be careful of two spring loaded detent parts. I blew it. Might have been salvageable. Obtained new switch from diyautoparts.com for $67. no shipping as compared to $112 from dealer plus tax. Problem fixed. Good luck
  • koolwat3rkoolwat3r Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Buick Regal LS. About once or twice per day for the last 2-3 weeks, the car will completely shut off while I am driving it. On my way home from work last night it did it in the middle of traffic on the 10. The stereo and what not will stay on, but the meters on the dash go to zero and most of the dashboard lights come on. What should I do?
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I'd get it looked at asap. By the time you get a knowledgeable answer in this discussion, it may be to late.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • teddyeddyteddyeddy Member Posts: 1
    I recently picked up a 1999 Regal LS with just over 104,000 miles. Took the keyless remote to the local Buick dealer in town, as it works on the doors and emergency button, but won't open the trunk (trunk opens fine with key). Testing reveals that the remote is indeed sending a signal. Before bringing the car in, any clues where to look? Also, in the past week, the passenger rear window won't open with the switch on the door itself or the driver's control. Again, any clues? By the way, the door has never been damaged.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Thump the passenger rear window area near the switch a couple times with your knuckles. As scientific as that sounds, it worked on my 1999 Regal LS with 77,000 miles. I'd also flange out the window grooves so the window can operate smoother.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • lkohnlkohn Member Posts: 13
    Here is your too late, knowledgeable answer - ignition switch. I had all sorts of strange problems on my '99 GS; engine shut down when put blinker on, airbag light that would not shut off, other dash lights not shutting off and finally the car would not start. On my mechanics recommendation I had a Buick dealership do the replacement work. Since the replacement, I have not had any problems.
    Thanks. That is exactly what it turned out to be. I went out to run errands not long after I posted the original message, and the car wouldn't start at all. I ended up having it towed to a chevrolet dealership who replaced the switch and haven't had any problems since then. Anyone with a similar problem, I recommend having it fixed as soon as possible.
  • rd2drd2d Member Posts: 1
    I recently changed the driver side power window regulator and motor. Now my power locks will not lock by switches or remote. They will unlock onthe remote all four doors.
    there is no attempt to lock on any switch or the remote. Do you have any suggestion.
    My odometer, transmission setting display along with the speedometer doesn't work. The odometer display is lit but it doesn't change or display the correct mileage. Same is true for transmission display- doesn't change always set on "D". I've replaced the cluster panel with a re-built one but same issue. Any suggestions?
    Yea, replacing the ignition switch eliminated same problem I had - which was when I used my turn signal (left or right), the engine would completely turn off by itself.
  • azll3azll3 Member Posts: 1
    does any one know if the 1994 buick regal's have a key with the computer chips or is it just a regular key. thanks
  • dccmorrelldccmorrell Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same issue - blower fan only works on high and sometime if the blower is on high the head lights will go out. I can turn the blower off and the lights come back on. Also the cruise control only works some of the time. The problem seems to be worsening. What's up. Any feedback will be helpful.

Paul
  • bwhite52yesbwhite52yes Member Posts: 9
    My wifes Regal would not turn over. Everything worked but the starter. I determined there was no voltage going to relay to engage the starter. It has a chip in the key. I did a resistance check on the chip and then bought a resistor at Radio Shack which I put in the wires a purple and a white going to the switch. The car started okay for about six months. It will now sometimes start and sometimes won't. After a waiting period for a few minutes to an hour it will start and run fine. We go for days of starting okay every time to the guessing game of starting when it wants to. Any ideas appreciated. I would like to bypass the security system but don't know how. :cry:
  • adriver3adriver3 Member Posts: 3
    My 96 Regal, 3.8l engine, fails to start about 1 time in 10. The starter turns everything over normally bu the engine won't catch. I have found if I then wait 3-4 minutes it will start right up. I've wondered if having the air conditioner on to start with makes a difference. Sometimes I have hit the accelerator before turning the key and that seems to cause it not to start, but sometimes if fails to start when I haven't hit the accelerator first. It has only stopped once in traffic. Any ideas?
  • louis68louis68 Member Posts: 2
    I am unable to remove the key from the ignition after I turn off the engine. After waiting several minutes, the key is released. Would like to fix the problem myself, not through the Dealer. Please give advice on how involved this repair is and cost. Thanks :mad:
  • voditelvoditel Member Posts: 2
    There is a hole underneath adriving wheel (covered by some plastic) - you need to open it and to put something thin stick there to release a key next time. I do not know how to fix it.
  • louis68louis68 Member Posts: 2
    :) I followed your instructions and removed the little plastic cover under the steering wheel. There is a little metal plunger that when pushed with a 1/4" diameter screwdriver will release the key. It's not a permanent solution, but a good remedy! Thanks for your suggestion.
  • blacktiger355blacktiger355 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem on my 96 Park Avenue. Some times it takes a good 15-20 minutes for it to start though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • aedaed Member Posts: 8
    I resolved this problem in my 2000 Regal by removing the plastic plug next to the shifter on the console and spraying a fair amount of WD-40 straight down onto whatever linkage is there. This is pretty far from the key in the steering column, but I read a post on a Regal GS site that this cured the problem of a spilled coke in the not-waterproof boot around the shifter. This is also a wintertime fix for me after traveling on freezing slushy roads when I can't pull the key out of the ignition. Love that WD-40. Hate that Buick design. Otherwise, really like my Regal.
  • t17wilsont17wilson Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me where the remote door lock sensor is located on a 2000 Buick Regal? I believe this is my problem and want to check it out. Thanks.
    Recently, the remote for my 2000 Regal LS has been acting up. The button to unlock has to be pressed several times in order to unlock the car, and the button to lock it sometimes won't work at all. Replaced the battery in the remote and that helped for about an hour and then the remote started having the same problem. Any ideas on what the issue could be? :confuse: