Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Key Fob Questions

scauerscauer Member Posts: 13
I took my Impala in to the dealer today for the stereo hiss TSB and for the key fob range issue.

I didn't come prepared with the PIC number listed earlier on this board for the issue. They said they found a listing for the issue and it said to replace the key fobs, so they have been ordered. I have PIC3764g listed on the invoice, which is different from the one mentioned on this board earlier.

Has anybody had their key-fobs replaced for this issue? When they arrive I'll report back if it makes a difference or not for me.

Comments

• quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    scauer,
    What is a PIC and do they have dates associated with them? If so, which is the most current? It's shameful that the dealerships aren't all on the same page in this day and age. The technology we're using right here keeps all of us unassociated customers informed and the documents we reference come directly from GM/Chevy. Where is the disconnect? (rhetorical) I'm curious if the other makes out there have the same issue but I don't want to start dialogue with the smug import buyers. It's always sunny in their world. :)
  • mistydawn2mistydawn2 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 06 IMPALA SS WITH THIS SAME PROBLEM. THE REMOTES WILL NOT REACH ANY DISTANCE AND THE TRUNK BUTTON TAKES SOMETIMES THREE PUNCHES TO WORK. THE SERVICE TIRE MONITER SYSTEM MESSAGE ALSO KEEPS COMMING ON. I HAVE HAD IT TO THE DEALER 5 TIMES AND STILL DOES THE SAME THING. THEY NOW TELL ME IT IS BECAUSE OF THE TINTED WINDOWS. DO YOU HAVE TINTED WINDOWS? THE PEOPLE THAT DOES THE WINDOW TINTING SAYS NO WAY.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    The remote doesnt start the car from even 2 feet away.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    It is possible it could be the tint, but not always. I have seen posts in which tint had no effect, but I am not sure if it was on the Impala.
  • scauerscauer Member Posts: 13
    I don't have tinted windows.

Have they replaced the key fobs for you during one of those five services?
  • mars57mars57 Member Posts: 4
    I had a mishap one month after the purchase of my new 2006 Impala LT and I had to replace my windshield. An after market windshield was installed; after this I noticed that I had lost the range. Had it checked at the dealer, they said nothing was wrong. I finally had them program a key/FOB to work with both my car and an other LT that I knew was working well (my salesman). Tested both cars side-by-side and proved the range was different. I had a GM windshield installed after having agreement from my dealer's service manager to warranty fixing the problem if it didn't work = GM windshield had same range. The dealer finally installed a new module in my Impala. Works great after this. Good luck!
    THEY WERE SUSPOSE TOO BUT WHEN ALL WAS SAID AND DONE THEY SAID THE GM TECHS TOLD THEM IT WAS THE TINT. AFTER 9 DAYS OF THE CAR BEING IN THE SHOP AND THEM TELLING ME THAT WAS THE CAUSE OF THE TIRE MONITER SYSTEM AND KEY LOCKS NOT WORKING I JUST LEFT AND FIGURED I WILL TRY A DIFFERENT DEALERSHIP. WHEN I TRIED THE SECOND REMOTE I HAD IT WOULD NOT WORK, SO ANOTHER DAY IN THE SHOP SO THEY COULD REPROGRAM. VERY UNHAPPY.
  • 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    a couple of responses here for you all, first off i have tinted windows plus the strip below the front glass and have the distance and interminntent issue with the key fobs, but my next question is this mars57 what module did they replace so we can all go back to our dealerships to solve this problem finnaly once and for all, please tell me you kept your service invioce, and if not please tell me that you can find it on mygmlink.com or have your service department make you a copy of the paperwork! please help us if i get this fixed my impala will finnally be perfect!
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    No tinted windows. No problems with the key fob. Works fine for me.

My Impala SS is truly perfect as far as I am concerned!
    if i remmeber correctly isnt your impala built towards the end of the 06 production?
    Built in April '06.
    Replacing the Key Fobs didn't seem to make a difference for me. Before I picked the car up I was assured it was fixed and if I was still having problems there wasn't anything else they could do, its just interference with the frequency.
    THEY TOLD ME THE SAME THING, BEING THAT THE TINT WITH THE MAGNET FIBERS IN THE TINT CAUSED IT. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH THE SERVICE TIRE MONITER SYSTEM DISPLAYING. ALSO EVERY LITTLE BIT A CHECK A CERTAIN TIRE PRESSURE MESSAGE DISPLAYS. THEY REPLACED THE RECIVER FOR THAT BUT STILL COMES ON.
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    I just recently had the tire monitoring system come on after a tire rotation. It had occurred routinely in the winter months, but seemed to be resolved until the service was done. For more information check out the posts on the Edmunds Chevrolet Impala: Wheels and Tires site. My service writer still insists that the car I have is the only one that they have had all of the repeat problems with. It had actually been a few months since I had a problem.

Has anyone had a repair done for the squeaking window? I was told that "fix" was to come this summer, but the dealership that I work through is still saying that it isn't resolved. (I am very anxious to take them the repair info that has been posted here for the air.)
    well all be damned just yesterday doing about 80 mph my tire sensor came on and fixed itself as well, interesting that you bring that up the same day mine does it for the first time, so they replaced the sensor but yet it keeps happeneing? sounds like we have another issue to check out, ill keep trying to get that new tahoe i guess, keep me posted on how they fix it!
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I posted on the problem of the tire pressure monitoring system and the keyfob range before. I had the problems occur similtaneously the first time. The dealer fixed the problems by replacing the receiver and re-grounding the dash. Things worked fine for a week or so, except I didn't have the range that I had when the car was new. Suddenly, the 2nd receiver started losing range. Back to the dealer for another receiver. It is now working correctly, hopefully forever!! The dealer told me that they've had 6 cars with the same problem, but mine was the only one that had a replacement go bad and required additional repairs. It stands to reason that if this problem is so common, that the replacement parts would have a certain percentage that were bad also. Don't let your dealer tell you it's the fobs, or give you any other lame excuses. Search my messages for the dealers comments and solutions.
  • gparisgparis Member Posts: 6
    06 SS tinted windows. I have the Service Tire Monitors and FOB range problems as well. They replaced the receiver with no luck. I keep looking for an answer.
    I have no tire service monitor or fob problems whatsoever in my '06 SS.

Maybe it's the tinted windows resulting in the malfunctions. (Mine are not.)
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    My LTZ does not have tinted windows. With everything that has gone wrong --- the fob problem has been non-existent. Tire monitor, temperature control, alignment, brake system, air conditioning, heated seats, tires in general---ALL PROBLEMS and then some. So I guess I should be grateful not to have every problem that has been noted.

Of course the car would not "record" a lot of the problems. I would take it in and there was no indication of the problem. I stated earlier, I finally learned to push the ON STAR button and have them run a diagnostic. They would then have a record that the service writer could call for. This saved me a lot of time trying to convince them that I was not imagining things.
  • mars57mars57 Member Posts: 4
    You know how service invoices are confusing, but here is what I can figure out... "R4480 RECEIVER, REMOTE DOOR/REAR COMPARTMENT LOCK" replaced or "15857831 RECEIVER". I hope this helps. Also this is my first time using a post message service like this, if 06fasst is the only one getting this message, please feel free to send it to others like us. I really like my new Impala so far... good gas mileage considering the car's size & comfort and stability is very good too. Good luck to all!
    OK, so it sounds like those of us with FOB range issues are the ones with tinted windows. Could anyone (other than mars57) with range issues and non-tinted windows please reply?

I have range issues but also had my windows tinted. If the tinting is the cause, I can live with that. Does anyone know where the receiver is and if there is any way to increase its range...maybe an external antenna? Thanks!
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    I have a GXP with tinted windows and remote start. I haven't tried it lately from a long distance, but I know I can unlock a door from 20 feet or more, and do so routinely. I remember when we first got it, I would unlock doors from 100 feet or so away, again with tinted windows. I haven't tried from that distance of late because I didn't use the remote start.

When it was new, I did it often just to see how far away it would unlock a door. Could be a different receiver location on the GXP though.

Mike :)
    Thanks. I'm trying to nail down if tinting the windows is causing the problem or if it's a component failure. Hopefully we'll get some more input from the folks out there. :)
    windows tinted including strip under antenae no range of course you all know this already!
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I've had the top strip (it is chrome on the outside) replaced twice -one on each front window and a second one on the driver's side. Within a week the driver's side started screeching again. I sprayed the inside of the strip with ArmorAll and the screeching stopped. I had to wipe the window off a couple of times but it had been three months and not a noise. I'd try this and not waste time at the dealer. I had to wait two weeks for the last strip so apparentely they are in short supply.
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-Motors/1155798000000_1157007600000_06-08-52-0- 02/80021.html

ABOUT DAMN TIME LETS SEE WHO GETS THIS DONE FIRST, ANYONE WANT TO RACE, LET US KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF THIS FIXES ANYTHING!
    look closer this only fixes the intermintent issue and not the range issue, for sure i thought they were related or so it may not seem hmm
    Man, got my hopes up for nothing. :)

BTW, you can edit a message after posting it...for future reference. :)
    As I've posted before, my dealer has repaired 6 cars with range problems, so far, at his dealership by replacing the receiver. My problem with the tire pressure monitor and remote range started at the same time on my 3LT. Replacing the receiver and regrounding the dash solved the problems initially. A couple of weeks later, once again the range was almost nothing. No problem with tire pressure monitoring system though. The dealer and I both came to the conclusion that with so many cars having this problem, it is reasonable to assume that there are defective replacements, as well. Once again, the dealer replaced the receiver. That was about 5 weeks ago and everything is working perfectly. I also had the HVAC reprograming done yesterday. It's nice to have everything working the way it should. Now, all HVAC settings that I had prior to turning the vehicle off remain when the car is restarted. Life is good! (Hopefully, for a long time!) :)
    I have all windows tinted except the windshield. I roll down all the windows and the range does not improve. The range is constant all around the car. As far as I am concerned, this proves that the tint is not affecting it.
    Maybe the tint on the windows even they are rolled down is setting up some sort of electromagnetic field which still impairs the fob signal.
    Window tinting has no energy so no electro-magnetic field is likely. However, even with the windows down, the rear window is still tinted. If the receiver's antenna is located in the rear window, it could still be affected. However, the antenna would be "outside" the tint so it shouldn't be affected from the rear of the vehicle.

My opinion is the range could be affected by window tinting but not to the degree we are seeing. The successful fixes reported here indicate an issue with the receiver. Unfortunately, since it continues to work while degraded, it's hard to convince a service manager that the window tinting is the cause. What we need as a control are similar problems with cars WITHOUT window tinting. If the symptoms are identical, regardless of tint, then they will be more likely to believe the cars have an inherent problem rather than one brought on by window tinting. I'm going to compare my car with my sister's in a parking lot so we can measure a difference in range. Both of us have window tinting but only my car seems to be affected.

Frustrating, isn't it?! :mad:
  • maku337maku337 Member Posts: 15
    The receiver for the remote functions is located under the top pad of the instrument panel, just to the left of the defroster outlet. There is a bulletin released to the dealers regarding poor range and performance of the key fobs. The number is PIC3764J. It lists several possible causes; 1)The key fob's rolling security codes get out of sync with the receiver; 2) The receiver's antenna has poor connections at the receiver or to the glass; 3) The antenna is not well grounded. If your dealer is having trouble with diagnosis, give them this bulletin number to reference.
    PIC3764J is the bulletin that I posted that started this thread. It didn't make a difference at all on my car.
    zjim,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was curious if you were willing to share a copy of the invoice from your repairs, with your personal info blocked out of course. If I had that in hand along with your narrative, maybe I would have better luck. I've tried two dealers so far. At one I got the "don't worry about a thing, we know exactly what's wrong" attitude and I returned to find nothing changed. The second shop looked totally dumbfounded although the tech did agree to research the issue. He did find PIC 4026 (mentioned elsewhere) but it turns out it was an advisory to reprogram a receiver vs. replacing it if it didn't work upon replacement. The programming for the HVAC was supposedly not a valid part # but I'm not sure if it was the program or TSB referenced in the forum that was incorrect.
    I still love the car (and these are just annoyances) but it sure would make my ownership experience a WHOLE lot more pleasant if I felt the service departments were as interested in having my car perform/function properly as I am. It's not like they aren't getting paid for the service. :confuse:
    Any updates? Mine is still acting up. :cry: Anyone?
    had the car at the dealership for almost 1 full week, in that time had the tsb on the transmission done, replace the tire and rcdlr part replaced and now i am extremely pleased to say i have great range and so far no tire pressure monitor problems, make sure the replace the rcdlr and reprogram with the lates software in TIS or nothing will be fixed!
    I did some experimenting with mine today. I have poor range and tinted windows. Here's what I figured out:

With the windows up or down, I have poor range, approx 50-75 ft. Also, at the limit, it is very inconsistent. It was hard to activate the lock or unlock repeatedly. It seemed to be a problem other than range since I was stationary. During this experiment, I was walking up and down the street with my car facing toward my garage.

I then backed my car into the garage with the windows up. I repeated the experiment and noticed I had much better range, probably an extra 25 ft or more, and complete consistency.

My best guess is that the receiver (in my car) is much more receptive from the forward aspect. I was surprised at how much better the reception was even though I couldn't see the car (inside the garage).

So, has anyone else experimented with their poor range or would you be willing to? I believe I have eliminated the window tinting as a cause in mine and the inconsistency I was experiencing leads me to believe the receiver was getting jammed. I'm going to press for a receiver change and reprogramming but I like to go in armed with data.
  • musky25musky25 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my key fobs re-programmed by the dealership twice. Both times the key fob works once or twice and the n doesn't work anymore. Also the security light comes on occasionally while driving. Any advice that anyone would have would be greatly appreciated.
  • toddpattoddpat Member Posts: 2
    Hello all - Just new to the forum. I have an 06 impala lt, company car, that is having fob issues like most are. My biggest problem is that you need to be really close to the car to unlock/lock the doors or even use the remote starter. I brought it to a dealership nearby and they gave me a new fob that only worked ok, but no further than 20 ft.
    Now this one has gotten worse to the point its range is about 10 ft now. Many of my co-workers are having the same problem, so there is an obvious quality issue. The service manager later acknowledged an issue with it and attributed it to the antenna. No mention was indicated that they were going to fix it under warranty. I guess when you're close to "going under " as a company, remote fobs are not at the time of the list. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has gotten around this problem with any good success? :mad:
    You can search this forum for more on this issue. The problem seems to be bad receivers. Several have had new FOBs and reprogrammed FOBs but the only fix that seems to have really worked is having the receivers replaced.

I do think GM is committed to improving quality across the board but unfortunately, the service departments aren't always as enthusiastic. Keep in mind, if they can't actually find and fix the problem, they'll have to write off the labor time with likely little compensation. Going in armed with accurate information works best for me. Just think, if you manage to get yours fixed and documented, you could be your company's hero. :) Good luck!
  • toddpattoddpat Member Posts: 2
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. WHAT YOUR SAYING ABOUT DOCUMENTING IT IS A REALLY GOOD IDEA. I APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE. :)
    Help is on the way. I've had the receiver changed 3 times in my car and was ready to file under the lemon law. It appears that something is about to be done about our problem. See the information below that was provided by my dealer.

Subject:
    Remote Keyless Entry (Inop/Intermittent Function) Or Tire Pressure Monitor Concerns - keywords fob RCDLR RKE RVS start TIMS TPM transmitter vehicle #PIC4325A - (12/01/2006)

Models:
    2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was updated with the latest information on the RKE and TPM concerns, advising dealers of the upcoming TSB. Please discard PIC4325.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The vehicle may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

The RCDLR and RKE Transmitters will not function after the serial data bus has gone to sleep.
    Intermittently inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) - A condition of intermittent operation of the RKE transmitters (key fobs) has been identified.
    Poor RKE range and/or Service Tire Monitor System message
    RKE inoperative after programming any module on the vehicle
    New RKE transmitters cannot be programmed
    Vehicle may display low fob battery.

Recommendation/Instructions:

A new coax antenna has been developed for the Impala and Monte Carlo. The new coax antenna and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for all the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) concerns will be available in January 2007. Do not attempt any further repairs for any RKE or TPM concern on the 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala or Monte Carlo until the TSB is released.

Note: The parts that were available through the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) have been exhausted and no additional parts will be available through the WPC.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation.
    Awesome, zjim, thanks for the post!!! :D

There wouldn't also be a fix on the way for the service personnel who tell you all is fixed with a smile and handshake knowing all along that the problem is still there. I know, I know...be nice. :D
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Great! Thanks for posting that info! :)
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Any further word as to when in January this Coax Antenna
    fix will be available...Sorry, I am growing alittle
    impatient at this point..After new receiver I am still showing low fob battery, doors/trunk won't work and tire pressure message is on !!
    Thanks
    Frank
  • joeysmith629joeysmith629 Member Posts: 1
    Great posting! It is somewhat relieving to hear that others are having the same issues that I am having. I feel sorry for everyone. Like many of you, my window would squeak like nails on a chalk board when rolled down. One the bright side, it has been working better the last few months, that is, after having it repaired 8 times at a few different dealers. Meanwhile Chevy broke my OnStar while attempting to fix the window. That led to a few more trips to the good old service department. Eventually my key fob lost its range as well. Sometimes I have to be so close to get it to unlock I could just reach out and unlock it manually. Taking it back to the service department has proven unhelpful. I am learning to deal with it. This car has become a joke to my pears and I will laugh along with a burning anger inside. Looking back I wish I would have gone with the Toyota Camry, I actually traded in my 1994 Toyota Camry with 137,000 miles and no unexpected problems to go American Made! What a mistake . . . only 4.5 more years of payments. .. . . Good luck everyone and let’s keep fighting Chevy.
    I received an e-mail from my dealer service advisor yesterday notifying me that the parts to repair/correct the remote range/tire pressure monitoring problems once and for all. I've made an appointment to bring the car in next week. That will be the fourth time back to the dealer for this problem and hopefully, the last!

Contact your dealer ASAP to arrange for your repair. :)
    You probably saw the post for the RKE and TPM problem just ahead of this one. For your window problem, if it continues, try using a little silicone lubricant. Spray it on the rubber and you can even spray it on the glass. Run th window up and down a couple times and the problem should be solved. I've fixed two other Impalas this way.

These are two relatively minor (although very annoying) problems. Don't be so sure to sell your Chevy short just yet. :)
  • lkanzlerlkanzler Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06' LT3 and have similar problems to others as well. Regarding the key fob issue, I don't have tinted glass and I have had issues getting it to unlock from very close range. Also, I have had to have one of the fobs reprogrammed. :mad: