Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Transmission Problems

Comments

• jenkinsbballjenkinsbball Member Posts: 1
    Ok, long story short:

I got married and inherited my wife's automatic 97 Sebring (sold my 05 mustang gt to make financial room for our baby) and it's driving me insane.

She's had a problem with her transmission for a while now, but lately, it seems like it's getting worse.

What happens is, normally during cold starts (but will do it when warm) it slips out of gear. I put it into reverse, back out, and then into drive. From here, I have to gun the engine up to around 4k rpm for it to engage into drive. I'll travel about 100 feet and it'll slip out again. This happens around a dozen times before I exit my apartments, and continues most of the way to work.

It will also happen during a hard break, even if I'm moving 1-3 mph.

She's replaced the transmission fluid numerous times and we've been told by a family mechanic that there aren't any leaks (that he could find).

Is the transmission going bad? Do we need to replace? My mother offered to buy us a new tranny since we've got a 5 week old at home and can't exactly afford a $1000-1500 bill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a good one.
  • joejxijoejxi Member Posts: 5
    I reciently had this problem with my 98 JXI.

Trouble was not the transmission, but a "solenoid
    pack assembly". This little item was $204.00 plus
    $88.50 labor at my local chrysler dealer.

The car now runs/shifts great.
  • justinjmhjustinjmh Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 sebring with 103k miles. I know the person who bought it when it was brand new and they never had any problems with it. A couple days ago I started my car, put it in reverse, backed up, and went to put it in drive and out of no where it stalls. I started it back up (and it hasn't stalled since) but the check engine light came on and i got scared. Then i started driving and i noticed that it's stuck in second gear and won't even attempt to shift up or down. It doesnt jump at all when i'm stopping or accel. but when i put it from park to reverse or drive it jumps more than usual. I still drive it but i won't go more than 30ish becuase thats when its supposed to shift. I've heard a few different things. I heard it could be the computer, wiring, the solenoid pack, or the casket needs chaged and a new filter, or the tranny fluid needs changed. Well i checked the tranny fluid and thats not it and i did the thing with the casket and it didnt help and it only costed 20 dollars no biggie, then i took it for a diagnosis check and the first thing they said is it's not the computer. They said it's either the solenoid pack or the wiring. They said it'll cost around 100 for wiring (including parts, service and tax) and about 300 for solenoid pack (including everything) i just need help deciding what to do first, cause if i fix one and that's not it, then i'll have to fix the other and i would rather get it first try and save alot of money. Can anyone help?
  • wlonginowlongino Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible, 2.7 liter, and the dealers can not fix my problem. The first dealer had the car 3 different times for a total of 23 days, replaced the speed sensor and the tcm. The second dealer has had the car 16 days, 2 different visits, and has replaced the speed sensor, throttle valve sensor, and the pcm. The speedometer intermittently jumps from 0 - 100, and the repairman said, based on driving the car with his analyzer, the signal going to the speedometer showed the car was traveling over 400 mph and was turning off the fuel supply, and causing the hard shift felt by the transmission. They have checked all the wiring and can not find the problem. This problem occurs at all speeds and may go for a full day or two before it fails. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • msmarvelmsmarvel Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem!!! :mad: My mechanic has been replacing input/output speed sensors on my 2001 LXi convertible practically on a weekly basis. The first one went bad in Feb 2003 about 4 months after I got the car. Every few months the check engine light goes on, and the car shifts up and down really hard before settling into 2nd gear. It used to correct itself after a few minutes, so I waited about a year to get it fixed. Needed another snesor, and sure enough it did the same thing about 6 weeks later.=, so why bother fixing it?

Forward to Dec 2006 and my car won't pass emissions because a sensor is bad, and we can't get it to stay good long enough for the car to recalibrate and pass emissions. Mechanic told me the chips were covered in metal shavings and I needed a new tranny. Only cost me $1500 (he only charged me cost) and everything was fine - for about 2 weeks. First rainy day, we're back to being stuck in 2nd gear. Then it started a new trick with the spedometer all over the place. Left it with my mechanic 2 times in July - once for a while week so they could really delve into it. Could find no reason why the sensors go bad, but he didn't charge me a dime for the week he had it because he didnt' fix the problem.

Left it at a dealer (mistake!) last night and got a call that it needs an input and output sensor. No kidding! That's what I told the girl when I made the appt. They can find nothing wrong, and even checked to see if the computer was bad. Right now all they can tell me is they will replaces the sensors to the tune of $240 - much more than my mechanic will charge. They are going to keep it for a few days and drive it and see if they can get the sensors to fail.

At this point, I can't get the car to correct itself like I used to, I've been on highways doing 65 mph and the car will drop into 2nd gear and all of a sudden I'm redlining. This is ridiculous and not too safe. I can be cruising along fine, and then I give the car a bit more gas and bam! into 2nd gear. Any time I have to stop, it's anybody's guess as to what gear it will pick - sometimes 1st, sometimes 3rd.
  • bamabrntxproudbamabrntxproud Member Posts: 1
    Need advice. Have a 96 lxi sebring, got her w 7 miles, she is about to hit 135k. No major problems, water pump went out in 2001-02, replaced belts etc during same repair ($1200). Brakes/tires every couple years. Always have oil changed at 3000 - 3500 miles. Drive her like a high-performance (came out of an 85 Z28 to this), I like to zip. The prob - have had a trans leak for 4 years! Progressively worse of course. Just have fluid topped every 2/3 wks. No major/unsafe performance issues. Never had a tune-up, know that's needed. Still has zip. LOVE my car. Big ? - worth having trans fixed/replaced at mileage? Body pretty, few dings, drive 30m in/out major city daily. No burning/loss of oil/engine issues at all.
  • tfriendtfriend Member Posts: 1
    Have an 06 sebring touring conv w/ 27k miles. Stopped at a light for some time when all of a sudden I heard the brakes squeal and the car jolted, looked at the RPM's, over 1k. Then it stopped. Good thing I had my foot firmly on the brake, as I believe the car would have zoomed forward if not. Is this a transmission problem. Any ideas would be helpful, not too impressed with the dealership so far..
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    If the check engine light came on the car's computer would have stored a fault code? What was the code? This may indicate where the problem is. Good luck.
  • emojay3emojay3 Member Posts: 1
    The check engine light came on about a week ago and the car revs up to 6k rpms at only 70 mph. I'm thinking its stuck in 1st gear but when i try to change it to anything but drive it does not change. It sounds really bad like its struggling when i drive it...

I have no idea how to fix ANYHING under the hood but could do anything simple if told how..

Has anyone else had this issue? I really dont want to buy a new tranny. The car only has 85k miles on it. Any help? the more detailed the better... :)
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Has anyone else had this issue? I really dont want to buy a new tranny. The car only has 85k miles on it. Any help? the more detailed the better...

Call around and see if there's a local transmission shop that will run a diagnostic check. My daughter's Neon trans was acting up one year and I would have sworn it needed to be replaced.

I found a reputable shop who agreed to check it for her at no charge. It turned out to be an inexpensive module that cost less than $100 parts and labor to replace.
  • jjm983jjm983 Member Posts: 1
    Just recently my transmission started shuttering and skipping very bad when in reverse. the only way it will work is if you do not touch the gas at all but if you give it any gas the car just shutters bad. does anyone know if there is anyway to fix this without changing the tranny?
  • air360air360 Member Posts: 1
    Hey yall! this is my first post here and I really hope someone can give me some good advice!
    I have a 96 sebring convertible and it has been having shifting problems. I will list the issues below

- when stopping quickly it will fall into neutral...shifting to neutral and back in gear fixes the problem

- Other times when stopping it will fall into a gear and just not come out of that gear...If i turn the car off and then turn it right back on it will drive fine.

If driving on the interstate or going good where only minor shifting is done between one or two upper gears it is perfectly fine...but like i said above...stopping quickly or more than a nice slow stop causes it to fall out of gear...basically it seems that it cant downshift quick enough.

I took it to a transmission place and after he looked at it he said it needed a new transmission...Im just wondering if it could be something else simple like a sensor or computer problem and he is just trying to screw me.

anyone else have this problem or have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Is there another transmission shop in the area where you could take it and get a second opinion? Don't tell them about the first shop.

My daughter's Neon transmission "went out" on her one year. She thoiught it was going to be an expensive repair. It turned out to be just a bad sensor and about $100 worth of parts and labor.
  • mgilmo1969mgilmo1969 Member Posts: 5
    That Trans has a computer memory that stores codes, take it to a local dealer and pay for a diagnostic test and get the fault codes sounds like a sensor or solenoid.
    Good luck
  • djdrummernickdjdrummernick Member Posts: 53
    hey im back CHANGE YOUR SOINIOD BODY MAN TO A HI END ONE ONLY NOT CRAP WHEN U DO THIS ONE UASLLY 160 SOLINOD BODY FOR TRAINY OK GOES BAD ON THESE ALSO CRANK SENSOR LIKE I SAID BEFORE WILL STALL THIS CAR OUT TO IT COOLS DOWN BAD NEWS CHANGE THAT ALSO 65 BUCKS 60 LABOR ALSO FOR THOSE PP WITH OIL LIGHT ISSUE ON AND OFF AND U STOP TAKE OFF CHANGE YOUR DARN IN AND OUT SENSOR LOL ONLY WITH MOPAR ONES FIT THIS ALSO OK THX NICK HELPAP /DJNICK :P :)
    :blush: HEY HUN CHANGE YOUR SOINIOD BODY IN TRAINY WITHA GOOD MOPAR OR HIGHER ONE ONLY OK NOT ACHEAP ONE AND WHEN THEY CHANGE THE SEAL ON IT LITTE FILTER GOES ON IT MAKES SURE THEY GET RIGHT ONE GOES OVER ALL THOSE LITTE HOLES TO SHIFT NICE ONE TIME TIM GUY THAT WORKS ON CARS AROUND HERE PUT WRONG ONE ON ITS OK ALSO TO TAKE OFF BOOT COVER ON IT SO IT CAN BRETH OK FOR THAT ONE LADY HAS OIL LIGHT COMMING ON AND OFF CHANGE YOUR IN AND OUT SENSOR ITS GOING BAD WITHA MOPAR ONE ONLY OR IT WONT FIT TRED THAT LOL THAT WILL FIX U FROMA DEALER 40 K THX NICK
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, Nick,

Welcome back :-)

Typing in all caps is considered shouting so it's best to take the caps lock off.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Also, the spell check, period key and multiple paragraphs would make things much easier to read for everyone on this side of the monitor. ;)
  • 11255thave_11255thave_ Member Posts: 26
    I recently drove my sebring after it had sat for 3 mos.When I accelerated to about 2000 rpms It "BUCKED WILDLY" into second gear AUTO TRANS.IT does it downshifting also coming to a stop. The Stop and GO trans shop said he would change the fluid and the filter for $100.00. I wanted to know : Is this the problem?What do you think? I am pretty good with cars,but I figured Ishould ask questions before I drop the pan.This problem NEVER existed until the car was idle for 3 months.
    hi man CHANGE YOUR SOINIOD BODY ABOVE TRAINY OK 165 DOLER PART MOPAR ONLY ON THIS ONE THE FLUIDS CANT PUSH IT AROUND WELL THROW THIS PART SO THATS WHAT CUSES SHIFTING TO GO ALL NUTS YES CHANGING FILTER AND FLUID HELPS BUT THATS NOT ALL U NEED TO DO CHANGE OUT SOINIOD BODY ON TRAINY K TRICKY TO GETTO BUT THEY CAN REMOVE COMPTER BRAIN 2 SCREWS BELOW THAT UNDER OLD BOOT COVER JUST REMOVE THAT ALSO SO NEW ONE CAN BREATH DONT NEED THAT RUBBER COVER OVER IT NOMORE THATS SOCKED IN OIL USALLLY REMOVE THAT SO NEW SOINIOD BODY UNIT CAN BREATH GET AIR ON IT WHEN HE CHANGES IT K ALSO FOR THEM PP WITH OIL LIGHT ON THE IN AND OUT SENSOR ARE BAD ON THESE AFTER FEW YRS SO BUY NEW ONE MOPAR ONLY REG CARQUEST PARTS WILL NOT FIT THIS TRUST ME I TRYED LOL SO BY MOPAR ON THESE 2 PARTS K THX NICK IF U STALL OUT RANDOM BUY CRANK SENSOR THATS 3 BIG THIS WITH THIS CONVERTABLE THAT GOES WRONG K ITS NOT A :lemon: JUST NEEDS HELP ALWAYS CHANGE OIL ON THESE 1030 I USE EVER 2500 MILES EAST OIL UP GOOD GETS DIRTY FAST SO CHANGE SOONER USE THAT NEW DELCO DOUBLE FILTER FOR OIL ALSO 3 BUCKS MORE BUT WORTH IT TO KEEP IT CLEAN CHANGE OUT AIR FILTER WITH FRAM OR K& N THIS ALL U HAVE TO DO TO MAINTAIN THIS CAR FEW SMALL THINGS NOT PULL TRAINY OUT NO NO JUST GET SILONIOD BODY FOR THE TRAINY OK THX DJ NICK
  • ghingusghingus Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get the peoblem fixed? I have the same issue with my car. I know where the vehicle speed sensor is but truely not srue it's the problem. Could be as easy has a short in the wiring. Anyways to help you out, the speed sensor is located on the transmission front area. Its a plastic white sensor with two wires comming from it. You can only reach it from the bottom of the vehicle so, its going to require the car to be raised to a safe position. Good luck! Hope this helps. The sensor cost about 20.00 dollars at any local part store.
    "U DA MAN" - Thnx alot,I'll try to do what you said on a nicer day. I have steel ramps to get to tranny box,where is the rubber boot located u talked about.Can I get the parts: fluid ATF,gasket, solonoid body MOPAR only,is 165 part #?.How long will this take me,just curious.

Thnx for everything AL
    Can I get the Solenoid body Part at my local auto zone etc.Can I easily remove the rubber boot to get to the 2 screws ur talking about.? Should I put in 2 quarts ATF then check level after changings gears on the stick?
    hi buddd u dont have to lift teh car u have to remove the computer thats under the hood to right close to front by air filter below that is the soing body 2 screws rubber just set on it u dont need mopar in this part justa hi end part advaced auto parts would sell it u dont even think they drained the fluid when i did just on trainy flush just gett he right ring for that soiniod body 165 bucks at store ok takes about 1 hour 1st time 2nd time 30 min u dont wann getto trainy box ok its just below that comp 2 screw un mount computer below that deep sumwahat long sharft screwdriver thingy to getthat far down u know to bolts holding it in once u getthat out they only want 75 bucks labor to do this at most places then just use your atf 3 fluids only more slipery then gm [non-permissible content removed] made for your car so dont buy anything less then atf 3 to top it back off again its not bad to do if u cant just take sumware tell them get u good part with it with ring goes between it and the part it conects tooo i reserched alot and i did this 2nd gear would jerk hard to i did this they tryed to say triny i said hell no change that soiniod body 1st worked perfect they asked me if i was mechnic how did i know i reserched deeep ya gasket get right one or may shift funny again gasket and soiniod body about size small box all metal pre lubed looks nice get new one never referb your old one like they tryed to do to me lol i said hell no thats why its shifting bad change with new one i wanted in 1st place then it shifted perfect i watched them whole time i was ther install this thats all it is tho its below the comp thingy front right close to u left of air filter on sebring convertabl;e 96 i have thx nick
    CHANGE THE CRANK SENSOR OK 20 BUCKS AND IT MUST BE A MOPAR DELER PART OR IT WILL NOT FIT BEHIND THE DRIVER WEEHEL DEEP IN THER MAY WAT DEALER TO DO THIS FOR U K TELL THEM CHANGE THIS 1ST SEE IF U HAVE PROBLEM AGIAN U WONT ON MY 96 FAILED STALLS OUT RAMNDOM SUCKED CHANGE THAT CRANK SENSOR MOPAR 20 BUCKS 30 LABOR OR LOCATE IT YOURSELF ALSO IF YOUR OIL LIGHT GOES ON OFF LIKE MINE DOES CHANGE YOUR IN AND OUT SENSOR
    THANX,man-I will try to get the part today,I will e-mail u if I have trouble.
    Thanx
    again
    AL
  • dap_mckinneydap_mckinney Member Posts: 2
    driving at 55mph; sudenly, rpms wound out with no power transfer. I managed to drive another 1-2 miles to park in parking lot, with loud whine and extreme slippage. I continued to test acceleration with no power transfer. I turned engine off, waited a few minutes and tried again. Very limited engagement before slipping again.
    Auto trans overhauled (under warranty) approx 30k miles ago, with no problems until today.
    Trans repair business speculated that debris was clogging filter, causing fluid flow to be blocked.

Is this something I can fix? Or, MUST I take it in for overhaul / rebuild?

current budget is EXTREMELY limited, cant afford $1500 overhaul/rebuild.

MANY thanks,
    david
    hey thats sound ruff slippage in trainy proaby that pos soliniod body they stick in it change it out with higher end quilty part k if u just die all of sudden then crank sensor on thes epos also those 2 i would cheak 1st hows fluid levels on trainy hows yur batery thos eguys taliking about dam soiniod body i bet also fluid blocked what are they stupid u make sure those stupid assses get the dam right ring filter that goes on your soilniod body on tainy 160 doler part k the ring that goes between that part and your tainy they OFTEN WILL STCIK WRONG DAM TAINY ring on it if all holes dont mnatch up with right plate thingy they use 2 doler part ring one hole be blocked fluid wont pump to that gear right ok they did itto me took it back toll ther asses make sure they stick new sopildniod body on it mopar or higher end parts only k clogging filter if they redid it all they dump that fluid out put new filter in trainy 70 bucks trainy flush with atf 4 3 only fuilds 3 on 96 to 00 4 on up atf trainy fluid dont u dare use gm dextron or your [non-permissible content removed] will be done proably what they fricking did to u also they tell u all fricking day to it wont hurt tell them kiss your [non-permissible content removed] u want atf 3 4 fluids only slipery made for cryster they knowew better have them do trainy flush 1st then with right fluids atf 3 or 4 deping on your yr k with new corect filter then test still same bs then get soiniod body out replace with new dont let them referb it bs also new part only with right plate filter thingy whatever thats called with it very important u stay on them watch them too i do if it stals out random ly then crank sensor bad one these 3 bad things go down on crystsr convertables sebrngs CRANK SENSOR -WILL STALL U 2 --SOINIOD BODYS OBOVE TRAINY JUNK CHANGE WITH GOOD SPACE PLATE CORECT ONE 3 IN OUT SENSORE OIL LIGHT COMES ON OFF RANDOM CHANGE IT ABOVE OIL FILTER 4 U SE GRIALIA TAPE ON BACK WINDOW LOL WORKS GREAT FOR BROKEN AWAY SEEMS 5 BATERY BEHIDN FF WHEEL DRIVER SIDE CHANGE IT HI END OLY COLD CRANKING AMPS DO NOT SKIMP OPN TIS BATERY WITH SILVER CRAP LINE PART MORE [non-permissible content removed] WILL HAPPEN THEN 6 CHANGE TRAINY FLUIDS MOPRA ONLY NEVER USE DEXTRON GM NOT AS SLIPERY OK NOT MADE FOR YOUR MORE ALUMIUIM IN SID EYOURS ALSO OR THERES ONE OF THEM HAS MORE ALUMIN IN IT NEEDS SPEACIAL FLUIDS MADE FOR IT K GET ON THAT GUY DONT LET DDEALERS RIP OFF SAY NEE DTO PULL TRAINY AGAIN JUST FRICKING DID THAT THEM DINKS NOW DO SOINIOD BODY ABOVE IT UNDER COMPUTER UNDE RTHE HOOD REMOVE BOOT COVER ALSO LET IT GET AIR K ANYTHING ELSE DONT LET THEN SAY DROP TRINY WHEN 90% OF THE TIME IS WHAT I JUST TOLD U K SORRY ABOUT SPELLING ITS NOT A :lemon: ITS A NICE CAR JUST NEED HELP OK DO WHAT I SAID 1ST BEFORE U DROP TARAINY OUTTELL THEM TRY THOSE 1ST FIXES SEE WHAT HAPPENDS ALSO I WANT PP TO RESPOND ON HERE SAY YES THIS WORKED THX I NEE DTO KNOW WHOS CARS ARE WOPRKING NOW FROM MY HELP THX NICK IN SAGINAW MI
    IF IT HALF [non-permissible content removed] I BET SOINIOD BODY THEY STICK WRONG DAM PLATE SPACER BETWEEN THAT AND THE TRAINY MAKE SURE THAT SPACER IS CORECT ONE THEY MESED THAT UP ON ME ONCE TRYED TO GET ME TAKE TRAINY OUT SAID HELLL NO DONT GET WALKED ON TELL ME MORE WHATS IT DOING TOO JUST SHIFTS LIKE [non-permissible content removed] 2ND GEAR GOING OUT RUFF LIEK COMP DONT KNOW WHAT S GOING ON OR HOT TOOO ? IF SO THATS THE SOINIOD BODY OK
    BUT 1ST TAKE SOINUIOD BODY GET NEW OEN HI END PART ONLY NOT REFERB YOUR OLD ONE LOL DONT WANT THAT WANT NEW IN WITH NEW FUILDS ATF 3 TO 4 ONLY NOT DEXTRON THATS GM ONLY CARS ASK THEM
    YES THEY WANN SCREW U SO DONT LET THEM THATS SOINIOD BODY DO THAT NEW FLUIDS OK I HAVE SAME CAR JXI 2.5 SEBRING CONV SO CHANGE THE SOINIOD BODY NO ITS NOT COMPUTER ITS THAT SOINIOD JUNK POS PART THEY DID OK USE ATF 3 FLUIDS ONLY
    ALSO THE [non-permissible content removed] CANT JUST LOOK AT IT SAY NEED NEW ONE TELL THAT OLD FART TO RETIRE THEN HE DONT KNOW NEWER CARS OK SOINIOD BODY U TELL HIM IF HE CHANGE S THIS PART WORKS FREE LABOR FOR SAYING NEW TRAINY ALSO DO IT THAT JACK [non-permissible content removed] 160 DOELR PART MAN MOPAR OR HIGHER ONLY QUILTY K RE TOP IT BACK OFF WITH ATF 3 FLIUDS ALSO MAKE SURE HE DOES IT WITH RIGHT SPACER PLATE WHATEVER THEY CALL THAT THE THING BETWEEN THEM HOLD SIT TIGHT RING K HAS TO LINE UP OVE RTH HOLES GET FLUIDS THROW TO SHIFT RIGHT MAKE SURE HE GETS NEW PART AND THE CORECT TRAINY THINGY THAT GOES BETWEEN YOUS OK VERY IMPORANT CHANGE THAT PART 1ST U TELL HIM DO THIS 1ST OK LEAST U HAVE IT NEW PART THEN IF THIS DONT DO IT THEN MABY TALK ABOUT TAKING IT OUT REBUILD IT FOR 400 K
    THEY CAN ALSO HOOK ITTO THEY COMP CHEAK CLUTHESE RATIO ON THEM SEE IF THER HI OR IN NOAMRL RANGE OK SOINIOD BODY COULD EFFECT THIS TRY THAT 1ST 160 75 LABOR INSTALL IT MABY LESS 1 HOUR JOB UNDER THE HOOD REMOVE COMP 2 BOLTS UNHOOK IT GO DOWN IN THAT HOLE IS THE SOINIOD BODY BOOT CONVER ON IT RUBBER PUL UP THEN 2 SCREWS MABY 4 ON IT UNSCREE OLD ONE PUT NEW ONE ONE IN THER WITH RIGHT SPACER TOP FLUIDS OFF CHEAK IT AGAIN K IF NOT THEN MABY DROP TRAINY OK BUT GETTHAT COMP SCAN ON IT BUY TRAINY GUY TELL SHIMS HOW MOTER DOING TRAINY SHIFTS IF ITS HI OR LOW OR NOAML RANGSE IT SHOULD BE THEN OK IT WILL MAY SHOW BRING UP CODES SET TIRES IN THE COMP ALSO FOR WHAT U WANT OK
  • mcginty1mcginty1 Member Posts: 3
    I have an unusual problem. I got out of my 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible then realized I had left the driver side window open. I went to close it and it went up part way and stopped. I lowered it again with the door open, tried to close it again and it stopped briefly, made a horrible noise then went up. When I closed the door the window overlapped the top by about an inch and hit the front side of the door too. In other words it had gone up farther than it ever had before by about 2 inches.

I pulled the door panel off to see if I could see what had happened and I'm still at a loss. There are only a few viewing holes in the door, you can't actually see much of the window mechanism without taking it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix it? Also, does anyone know how to remove the glass. I was thinking if I removed it and re-inserted it, if it was out of a track somewhere, that might fix it. Also, I think there must be a way to adjust where it stops.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Please don't type in all caps -- it looks like you're shouting, and it's really hard to read. .

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• dap_mckinneydap_mckinney Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply and insight I don't know if you caught that the transmission was overhauled/rebuilt under extended warranty over 3 years/30 thousand miles ago, replacing the pump, with no problems 'till now. I didn't mention that work was done by a trusted chrysler dealership's service department. i don't drive like a teenager (though i wouldnt mind being a teenager again. . .) atf fluid level is 'full', doesn't look or smell burned, and there was no debris on the stick (though i really didn't expect to find any debris suspended in the fluid). as soon as i can find a few hours when it's relatively warm i plan to raise the front end, drain the atf, drop the trans cover and check/clean or replace the filter.
    hi ya i heard u redid it all the trainy but did they add a new soiniod body to it usesaly 160 doler part doughht they did that askf or new one see what happpneds if u dint change that yet they go bad all the time
    u change your tires on these cars make sur ethe computer knows what tire uuuse i had 205 not as tall as the 215s like suposed to be on there ha dto tell comp that pluged into it what size i ran otherwise give your car more miles then what it relly is and speed odmoter would been off important u dial in comp of teh convertables to your tires i f u chaNGE FROM STANDER 215 55 R16 OK I USE 205 55 R16 LOWER PROFILE HAD to dial in the tire size in comp just put new batery in mine engerzer 56 bucks at sams club 875 cold cranking amps have to use goood battery in this they need power above the front area of my side tire were it was have to take tire off to getto it t0o changse it but under hood thers jumper area if u got stuck i also use a mtx 10 in 5500 sledge hammer box in trunk best fit best bass cheap for thsi car soudns great just sum tips powerout spray great for carpets black majic best on dashes and wet in black only on tires then clean whipe rims off after u spary that meguires step 3 wax cabanaa is best on this car paint not the super meguires one just step 3 one works easyer carabana stuff u know best for windows microfiber towlels never use anything else after uuse these towles to wipe windows dry the car buy anyware great chriatms gifts those are also meguires on my leather seats lotion gold bottle best use all those nice car insode out :) and a happy one lol merry christams
    my soiniod body n trainy failed at 80 k miles ona 96 in 2007 so lasted a wile
    guy at place the 1sttime he referbed it him self stuck back in my car lool with wrong ring spacer they used 2nd gear screwed up sifted all over hell was nuts and scary till i made his dumb head take it back out get me new1 like i wanted paid for 1st time lol says ok if it works dont o me nothing said ok it worked perfect he dint even know says are u master mechinic says no i reserch thats all use common sence so since then 2 yrs ogo pe4erfect now also 1sttiem he used dextron i thought that did it so i yelled at him he put in atf 3 fuilds like should have done u know but that still shifted it bad then i said what kinda soiniod body above trainy u stick on ther referb one he says ya admitted it i told him i want dam new one so he did it perfect since cars are picky and the whipers can cuse u issses anther story tho
    one more issue never trust anyone i dont care if ther toop notch trainy sho[ of town i did same thing top trusted shop i meen thses guys ever one says great till i wanlk in prove him all wrong lol he thought i wa s tester guy from sum maginzine cuse i knew somuch cuse i reserch talked to so many pp opinons on this before i said ya fix it i want it foxed right 1st time they dint know old guys in those shops cant see nomore put on wrong rings sumtimes on soiniod bodys wrong fluids all the tiem whatever they have oin berrrerl what u get usaly dextron cheaper chrostyer dealer it will be at3 i hope atf 4 silpery but no dont trust them they do [non-permissible content removed] all day under waretebty to help them get paid try that [art then have them get on comp cheak cluth levels with new soiniod body innnn make sure they add one in watch them add itin they tell u they did and sumtimes wont even add it in mark your old one if u know how maker lol
    i wonder why i like to watch them right over there [non-permissible content removed] like a hot rod your working on my baby so i wann be ther by her side see what u do to her like a doc office if they sosay no go sumware else then so u can se ethem add it or ask to show u old part and teh box to ne w one get it out of them be slick they are :)
    say i did sum reserch man this what top master mechinics for christler say ok act like u know if u dont know shutup then dont say i dont nknow anything about cars lol when u walk in so look for me your abiggest sucker then they know that right away they can say anything then to make money for ther bunsses in that situtwation close wordds are listined too by them they listin 1st for u to spill it out that u dont know hsit then nail ya so rember thohse tiops act like u know sumwaht dont say u dont know antything at anytime cuse your smart and u do know your car likea gut feeling lol so be wise get other opinons if u can they just redid your tainy 3 yrs ogo then should last 10 yrs they did sumting mese dup ther fult 3 yrs all u get thats no good cheak soiniod body now ok they never repleced it now thats going bad shifting outta control leakage
    ya i bet when they overhauled it 30 k ago they dint change the soiniod body ok cuse it wa sok then now its no good change it 1st before u go nuts drop tarainy ouit ok soiniod body for trainy :)
    yes u got water in it when uleft it down hey what u get now lol go to junk yard get that left side power controller or on ebay ok or ther one way to maby save it k take it out pull iy up out its cliped in un hook to cable stoo it take it out of it thingy take rubber off the back so u can see brass conters ther dirty hu use sum w d 40 ear twab get down in ther with about 20 twabs over over clean it all out super well let it dry vac blow it out when done cleaning install it back in test it ok buzz should be gone cuse dirty contatcs k i had same issue
  • frylockfrylock Member Posts: 1
    Ok here's my problem. 1999 Sebring JX Convertible Automatic Tranny

1. Start car, usually goes into reverse just fine ...then...

2. Apply brake to shift into drive, I see RPM's climb but no forward movement, like I was stuck in neutral.

3. Wait like 10 seconds, car will go into gear and move forward with a loud clunk noise and feeling like car has been hit, shakes the whole car.

4. Every time I stop the car at a stop sign or stop light this will happen.

I thought this would only happen when engine is cold but it has happened after warm up as well.

I added more fluid (yes the RIGHT kind...), problem went away for a week, now it's back. I know fluid is not the problem.

I am very frustruated. I think djdrummernick already posted the solution to this problem but I can not understand his directions because my English is not so good.

If this is a sensor problem, which sensor and where is it located. If this is a solenoid problem, how do I do that? I've never had a car this new before, so I don't know anything about the computer stuff.

Please help...thank you.
    hi soiniod body is above trainy it can go bad and cause all kinds of weirdo shifting just ask for that part for your car for the trainy the way to get to that part is under the hood below the right side computer u hav eto remove computer black box thingy to get below that thats were soiniod body is at ask them toc hage that for u 1st with new nice part only see hwat happneds still got proablems u could try to change crank sensor also thats usally for these cars when they just stall out u would change that sensor on yuor issue i would chang ethat soiniod body on trainy have dealer or sumone who knows whatther doing do it for u if that dont do it may wann redo your tainy worse case does that help try that part 1st usally 160 bucks 80 to install in labor or u can yourself if u have long tools its tricky
    i had sam issue i think everone will at sum time on these cars
    things that go bad on convertables are

1 crank sensor ---will stall out whole car nasty
    2 soiniod body on trainy cuuse shifting to go nuts act up like crazy
    3 alsywas ue mopAR atf 3 -4 fluids only
    4 use gator back belts when u change yours out best to buy
    5 k and n air filters are bestto use if u cant buy fram 2nd best
    6 visor clips on ebay 7 bucks
    7 greesE ethe doors and hindgeses often silcon spary
    8 black majic on dash wet in black for tires best sparys i found step 3 mequires wax best with micro fiber towles to dry your car
    9 in out sensor above oil filter will cuse car to show oil red light presuure light on off fulty change that part with mopar only nothing else fits i know this
    10 wann add a sub best bet mtx 1 10 in sledge hammer 5500 or 7500 IN CUSTUM BOX THEY COME IN best bet with kenwood x491 or higher for sterio gear 6x9s all way throw with new wires direct to speakers bypass onbord amp can cuse destorion on aftermarket radios
    11 keep it clean USE power OUT BY TURLE WAX u can use on carpets u can use engine degresor make moter shine breath stay clean once a yr on nice warm day only not in winter
    12 rip seats or top tearing away form window go buy black gorlia tape bets stuff to use its holding mine in to i get new one :) geart tape for cars fabric in such
    13 get oil changed ever 2500 miles i use 10w30 on my v6 2.5 qs good for now i love that new delco double filter oil stays cleaner longer only 3 bucks more ask for it
    14 change battery with only hi end gold ser 800 cold cranking amps or more its on driver s side wheel well take tire off then remove black cover then install new one there thats can be pain in [non-permissible content removed] but ever 4 yrs gotta do it this car needs power mequires lether lotion on car seats works best dont slide gold class one in that
    thx for reading just take car of it DONT RAM YOUR RPMS UP PAST 3 IN HALF LOW LOW NOT RACE CAR REMBER THIS AND IT WILL LAST U LONG TIEM NICE CARS IF U CAN TAKE CARE OF IT AND DONT DRIVE LIKE MANIAC K THX NICK HELPAP
  • littlered2004littlered2004 Member Posts: 2
    my car is having problems, first time, had it for almost 2yrs. i need help with it. when i am driving down the road at 55mp its fine, but when i drop down to brake at 25mp, it has this big jerk, in it, never has before,, so i called my warrenty place, with the car, and they said go to anyplace and get it diagnois, then have them call it in to us, and see if its under the warrenty. but what do u think it could be? love my car its fun in the sun. thanks
    hi like i said sound s like soiniod body on down shifting flids to clucths not getting throw good buy hi end after markey part and see if thats it 1st before u go ripping it out change fluids filter when u do also if its old try that 1st best bet 160 bucks part 70 labor install it unde rthe hood
  • atomz1atomz1 Member Posts: 1
    Had the same downshift problem with my 2002 Sebring convertible. Chrysler refers to it as harsh downshifting. They have issued at least two Technical Service Bulletins involving 4-3 downshifting. I am not sure what these bulletins say. My problem would show up after my speed had reached at least 30mph and the transmission had gone up to at least 3rd to 4th gear. During slowdown, I would get the harsh jerk at around 25 - 28 mph.

The solution was to have the dealer change and recalibrate the transmission control module. You are looking at a bill of around $200 for the part and $200 more for labor. The don't need to drop the pan to do this. You may have trouble finding the part at an after market dealer like NAPA. For them, it is a non-stock special order with a price tag of $252. It would have to be shipped here (CT) from
    California. The dealer did the job in a few hours and everything is working fine.