Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• bear36bear36 Member Posts: 10
    Hey MJenson,
    Make sure that vibration you feel and hear is not your load leveling suspension activating when you start your car. Mine comes on every time at start up and if I didn't know better I'd also think it was some sort of loose metal vibrating on something. However it should only last about a minute or two before it stops.
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    Interesting post but irrelivant to "getting a good deal". The number that is important is the inventory day count. When the GM400 Tahoe/Burb was on the market, they were constantly in short supply and there was strong demand for them, therefore driving prices up.
    With the GM800, there is increased plant capacity, mainly Arlington Texas coming online last year. as a result there are more unsold units in the marketplace.
    As a result of this, there is PLENTY of supply for all models in question, making it possible to get a great deal on whatever you choose.
    Simple supply and demand folks.
  • lemonladylemonlady Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a 2000 EB 1 year old. It has less than 10K on it and we are very happy thus far. However; the dealer that we purchased it from was unable to provide us with a owners manual. We also inquired about the keyless entry and they could not give us any codes on it either. We had this feature on our van and loved it and would of course like to use it on this car as well. Any ideas on where to get this code from? If i remember correctly the car should have come with a code that you could enter to program your own code (thats how our vans was). Also how do i go about getting a 2000 owners manual? There are several features on this car that I have no idea how to use/program without a manual. For instance the driver 1 driver 2 panel on the door. Some stereo features etc. Any info would be great!
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They show up on eBay from time to time. Enjoy your new ride!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    If you haven't done so already, I would contact a Ford dealer. They should be able to assist you in locating the keyless codes and the owner's manual. Good luck!
  • ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    try this link: http://www.qualitycareservice.com/3002.asp

you should be able to download the owner's manual - it is large 2129k - for the 2000 Expy.
  • s76drvrs76drvr Member Posts: 15
    I had the same problem when I purchased my 99, no manual, and no code. I asked the dealer who pointed out the master code is located on a white label up underneath the dash on the left side. Then I made him find (pull) a manual from a trade in. It gives the instructions on customizing the lock. Good luck.
  • texpeditiontexpedition Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a one year old 2000 EB like you did and had the same problem with no owners manual and no keyless entry code. I found the owner's manual online at www.ownerconnection.com and in the online owners manual i found the location of the keyless entry code. Its a 5 digit code in large black numbers on a white sticker on the computer module located under the dash just to the left of the steering column. Its pretty easy to find. The online manual also tells you how to change the code and how to use the buttons to unlock and lock the driver's door or all doors.
  • texpeditiontexpedition Member Posts: 2
    Why are people taking the owner's manuals out of the cars when they sell them or trade them in? You can order a new one from Helm Corporation for $22 plus $6.50 shipping and handling.
  • lemonladylemonlady Member Posts: 4
    Thank You! Your information has been a great help! I will try the links you gave and am going to go look for the code under the dash! For the question asked about why someone would take out the owners manual I asked myself the same thing! Seems weird to me to keep a manual on a car you no longer own. Thanks again!
  • briancorrbriancorr Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone know of any online forums or clubs where expeditions are the main focus?
    Here's the URL:

http://www.g33ks.org/XOG/index2.html

A lot of the info is old, and its not visited too often, but there's a wealth of information out there and some nice pics of owner's Expys.

"Why are people taking the owner's manuals out of the cars when they sell them or trade them in?"

More importantly, who took the manuals? Most of the time it was the rental car company that had the vehicle before you! Hence the reason that the dealer cannot tell you the code either.

Much to my surprise, there were "loaded" 2000 EB's in the Hertz fleet last summer, sounds like thats what you might have.
  • auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    Has anyone added wood trim to the interior of their Expeditions? I have a 2000 EB and think I might want to add the wood?
  • aem1420aem1420 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen negative safety ratings on the Expedition. We are about to purchase a 2001 EB Expedition and have been told to research a possible negative rating.
    the interesting thing is that there is so little real data out there to research.

Here's a link to the NHTSA ratings:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/NCAP/SaferCar2000/table1.html#suv

Here's a link to IIHS, but they have yet to test full-size SUVs:

http://www.hwysafety.org/

The only safety rating that might alarm you is the potential rollover rating recently published by the government. On a scale of 1-to-5, where 1 is bad and 5 is good, all SUVs and 4x4 trucks tested rated a 1 or 2, with a few trucks rated a 3.

• satch5satch5 Member Posts: 2
    I am getting a 2001 EB with following options: 5.4L V8, Rear Entertainment Centert (TVVCP), Limited Slip, Reverse Sensing, and Dual front side air bags. The Price - $31005 (including destination charge of $715) + TTL. This seems like an awesome price as compared to Edmunds invoice price ($35446) and its TMV ($35, 858). Any thoughts please? Also is it worth getting the side air bags? Thanks
  • aem1420aem1420 Member Posts: 2
    I am purchasing a 4.6 v-8. Is there valid reasons to go for the more expensive 5.4 liter. I have seen the note that says the bigger is noisier. Does it really enhance the resale value?
  • cbfrnyccbfrnyc Member Posts: 4
    WOW, I'm getting quoted 41.5k on EB Exp. in Manhattan Ford, where is yours from or are you buying a lemon and not knowing it?
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    You are getting gouged. I bought my EB Expy 4wd loaded with all but captains chairs for 35k before all of the huge discounting and low rates got started. Keep shopping. Of course I wasn't shopping in the NE at the time either. Good luck.
    No way should you pay over invoice for a new EB. Dealers here in the Denver area are ADVERTISING $8000 off of MSRP. We paid $650 under invoice for our new EB in January and the deals are better now.

Think about it, you could fly to Denver, save a boat load of money, have a vacation on the way home and STILL be putting several thousand bucks in the bank.

Or, ask satch5 where he's getting such a killer deal. Maybe you could ahve more fun than visiting Denver.
    That's a MUCH better deal than I got four months ago. I'm surprised you haven't already got that puppy in your garage.
    The Expy is a BIG, heavy truck. If you are going to use it for hauling, towing, or live at a high altitude (like we do here in Denver), then the 5.4 is a MUST.

However, if you live at sea level, won't be towing or hauling, and seldom visit high altitudes, then the 4.6 could work OK for you. Plus, your mileage will be a bit higher with the 4.6.

BTW- I test drove both and noticed ZERO difference in noise. Both were/are pretty quiet.
    Should invoice be the general price???? and can the northeast charge so much more?
    Why don't you save yourself a ton of dough and buy my 2000 EB with s/r, LL susp. heated seats, trailer tow and 13k miles!
    It is the nicest truck on the planet!
    Go with the 5.4, I did and am very happy with the extra power. Had a 4.6 rental for ten days and it took awhile to get moving. Passing on grades or accerating to the interstate reinforced my belief. I'm averaging 14.9-15.5 (in town) on flat surface.
    Get on the internet and contact dealers from other regions. Also go to Borders or Walden Books and look at the Sunday papers from other major cities in the classifieds. If see something interesting and can swing the financing with a draft, spend the airfare, go there and drive it home. Or take the quote from the out of town/state dealer to your local one to match it. Have fun. I personnaly went with a year old lease turn in. Still qualified for all warranties (including Ford ESP as a new vehicle).
  • auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    Price
    31k for a new EB is a unbelievable deal. Is there something going on? Is this a demo? Invoice or just above (500 or so) is fair but below invoice price?? I think you have to get the side air bags to get the reverse sensing unit.

4.6 v 5.4
    You definetly want the 5.4 V8. You will never regret it. The 5.4 is just nearly not enough power for the truck or "tank" although I am very happy with mine, but a 4.6 is very sluggish

Wood Trim
    Anybody added wood trim to their Expedition? What are your thoughts?
  • silvia93silvia93 Member Posts: 1
    We have our Espy 2 weeks now, 2001 EB 2 WD 5.4L basically it is almost fully loaded. Paid 32700.- plus tax, got 2 yrs of free oil change, they extended the warranty to 5 yr or 75K, and at 10K a full detail. I'm pretty happy with the out come of this deal, the truck is wonderful I have a big guy who fits so much more comfortable now. It has a smooth ride no noise from the 5.4L it does real good here on these Arizona highways. The only thing I would like to look into now is an entertainment system. Maybe I should of fought a little harder for that too! :)
  • sileasilea Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Expedition with 33M miles, that recently started making a grinding noise when moving at very slow speeds. When the dealer dropped the pan, it was full of metal shavings. Thankfully I just made it before warranty expired. Any similar problems reported??
    Any body in the New York Metro area (NJ, CT,) have any sort of handle on where EB should be priced. As I stated earlier I got quoted 41.5 (before 1.5k incentive) on loaded EB from a Factory Ford in Manhattan. CARS.COM has it invoiced at 37.5k. I think I can buy at in the 39 range. How can people out West get such better deals? (31k-35k) Does anyone have an inside scoop on this?
    while I posted in jest before about my '00, I would recommend two things to you.
    1. come to Connecticut, I personally have a connection w/a dealership in ffld county that would do a nickel ($500) over (invoice)and you would keep the rebate. At last I checked it was $1500.00.
    2. There are a bunch of VERY clean '00's (including mine) that can be obtained in the low $30's with correct miles etc.
    These trucks depreciate like rocks, why not buy one a few months old and save some significant cake?
    Keep in mind the folks in the midwest are buying 4x2 units, they are about $2800 less expensive than a 4x4.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Yeah, what carguy said. Manhattan has got to be one of the gouging capitals of the world. You would do much better in Fairfield County (at or below invoice). Stamford is close to you. You can still get service in NYC, but do the deal else where. There is a Ford dealer in Brewster, also a quick trip from the city. With the impending gas price hike, the deals on the big vehicles will only get better as the prices go up. Fill ups will be getting you for close to $100 a wack.
    Dude, use your helmet. The vehicle weighs 6000 pounds, has a full frame and rides above traffic, why on the planet would you question safety? Whatever you hit, you are going to destroy, so don't worry about it. I have this arguement with Volvo wagon drivers on a regular basis. You can have airbags coming out of your [non-permissible content removed], but it will not matter because the largest vehicle in any type of collision isis usually the safest.
    Wonder why Ford is "throwing in the trailer hitch" this year? Think about it and anything that might have the mis-fortune of hitting an Expo from behind w/o the hitch.
    Just don't be stupid and drive w/o a belt or drive the thing like a car, because it is not.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Its reached the dreaded 2 bucks a gallon here now too. Thats $60 a fill! Looks like the tank will be sitting in the garage more often this summer.

I guess that means I'll have to drive the Vette more often ;)
  • jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    I live in NJ. We looked around for many cars, including the expy. In short, the dealers here are pond scum and I do not know how they sleep at nite. They are weasels, a different breed of humans. I am originally from WV, mucdifferent there. They could care less and will use any line they can (including having to feed their family). A tip though that worked for me. Apply for credit through Ford. This makes the salesman think that he has the sale completed. When you get approved, tell him that you think the price is too high and you have been looking around elsewhere. He almost has no choice but to get you a better deal.
    Also, I wanted the 4.6, got the 5.4. I love the 5.4, great power. I do not even pull anything.
    Finally, increasing gas prices are tough. That is one of the big disadvantages of these vehicles.
    Have a great summer, everyone!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you might enjoy the Dealer's Tricks, Interesting lies customers tell salespeople, and Inconsiderate Buyers discussions. Lots more "tricks" out there. Enjoy your ride!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • champagnevelvechampagnevelve Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased Expedition 2WD XLT. Less than 30 days later had a problem starting. Called dealership and was told to call roadside assistance. After speaking with service manager he decided that it was best to go ahead and send out a truck to pick the vehicle up. While giving directions to service truck driver, he asked if I was parked on an angle in my driveway and whether I had a 1/4 tank or less. When I last parked (the night before) the gauge read 1/4 tank. Service man said that this was the problem, (his wife owned and Expedition and had same problem once) and more than likely once he got the vehicle on level ground it would probably crank He also stated that even though the gauge read 1/4 when I pulled in the night before, it would probably read less once cranked. Sure enough once level it started and the gauge read less than 1/4 tank. His thoughts were that because it was a 1/4 tank or less and it was parked on a angle the gas could not be 'sucked in'.
    I have been watching gauge lately and have gotten strange results. Seem more like the tank sensor is out of wack. Any ideas about what is going on?
  • satch5satch5 Member Posts: 2
    I have ordered a 2001 EB 2WD with 5.4V8, Rear TV/VCP, Limited Slip, Reverse Sensing, and Side Air Bags for $31,147 (dealer says drive out comes to 33,558). Does Title and license total $458. Is that right? Also is base MSRP 36,550 or 36,400?

Finally, what is the true "invoice" price, the base invoice price, or the invoice price including the options. Also is the destination charge included when calculate invoice price?
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    I just recently checked my tire pressure on my 2001 XLT expedition with 17 inch wheels for the first time since buying in Nov of 2000. I was curious about the handling and constant steering. The tire pressure was 40 pounds and the place card on the door said 32 pounds front tires and 35 in the rear. What should be the best tire pressure for this truck? And when should I change my oil and rotate my tires. I have 4200 miles on my Expedition now. I only drive it on weekends basically. and out of town trips
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    I have the expedition XLT with the 17 inch wheels and non limited slip axle. Im not clear on the advantages and disadvantages of non limited slip axle with the 4.6 engine and 4X4. I never saw an expedition without limited slip axle on the lots other than the one i bought. And I did not realize that almost all of them have limited slip axles.
    Why on the planet earth did you get 4x2 in the Northeast? Are you planning to move south?

I believe that the Limited slip option is mated up to the 3.73 rear (3.55 is std.), something that I would recommend with the 4.6 and the larger wheels. I know that I specifically did not get it due to the effect that it would have on fuel economy. When you get a whopping 12.2 mpg, every little bit counts.
    I'm just trying to get a feel on what a 01 EB 4x4 should go for, I haven't bought anything yet.
    Sorry, I did not read the title of the post properly!

Satch 5- Prehaps you should have asked these questions before ordering your new truck! Don't get caught up in the lingo, you will only confuse yourself. Go onto edmunds new vehicle page and calculate the invoice price based on the vehicle that you ordered using their figures. They are correct. The destination IS part of the invoice and is NOT marked up 12%. The dealer pays it, and so do you. Once you arrive at the figure, deduct the $1500 rebate if it applies. This will give you your invoice price to work from.
    As far as title and license, that does seem a bit high for my state. Usually there is a $199 total bullsh!t doc fee added into the reg fee that will make the total figure as high as $300, but never is it as high as what you quoted. Again, it depends on the state in which you register in.
    Good luck
    Got back from Moab late testerday under warm, blue skies. Left in a blizzard on Friday, from Denver. Two upside-down pickups near Georgetown kept my speed low. Once on the other side of the Eisenhower tunnel, the weather improved.

Our 2001 EB Expedition is no longer a virgin! Took it 4-wheeling every day we were in Moab. It worked great on the trails we chose. Granted, these were NOT truly difficult, like "Metal Masher", but were tough enough for me, thank you. Low range isn't as low as other 4x4s I've driven, but it worked well on steep, rocky climbs.

The Hummer club was staying at our hotel. About 35-40 Hummers, most of them black (?). These dudes 4-wheel in style! About a third of them were TRAILERED to Moab on 18-wheelers! YES, there were FOUR 18-wheeler flat beds in the parking lot that were loaded with Hummers on Sunday night for the ride home. One dude had his own rig: a Ford Super-Duty, with a Harley in the bed, pulling a flat-bed trailer with his Hummer and spare tires. The club had three full-time mechanics and their fully-equipped trailer at the hotel, and they were all busy after a trail run. Lots of them had Lincolns and Cadillacs to drive to dinner. Amazing how much damage can be done to an $80K vehicle in one day! But, I guess if you have so much money you don't know what to do with it, a Hummer is just another boy's toy.

Gas in Moab was the cheapest on the trip, at $1.65 per gallon. Gas in Eagle, CO was $1.99 per gallon. This was for 85 octane regular.

We averaged about 15 MPG for the whole trip.
  • pinnaclejimpinnaclejim Member Posts: 1
    Just found out from the dealer that the Expedition we ordered last month will be the "one-millionth" produced. It will be a white EB, 4WD, with every option except the sunroof.

Dealer says Ford will be flying us to Dearborn for the event. He says we will be meeting the Expy design team and walking down the line as our truck is built (47 minutes)!

Should be an interesting trip - I'll keep the group posted, as it develops.
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    My wife is often at the plant ... it is in Wayne, Michigan. She's working on the launch of the 2002 model.
  • phillyfordphillyford Member Posts: 1
    Our 2000 XLT recently developed a tendency to shudder during low speed turns, e.g., pulling out of a parking space. Similar problem, I think, to that experienced by gentlemen in post #124. Took it in, dealer first checked out steering linkage and power steering system. No problems there. Next turned attention to rear differential and decided that was the source of the problem: rear differential was binding and inside wheel was hopping during the turn. The dealer added limited slip gear oil in hope that would free things up. That was yesterday so the jury is still out on the solution (oil needs to work its way in). Anyone else had this problem fixed?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    It is not all that uncommon. Why they don't put the additive in when new is still a great mystery. They must do it as an insurance policy for repair shops.
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    After 2 Suburbans, I'm a happy new owner of an '01 EB. I have a question though about the reverse sensing system: I really can hardly hear it, esp /w the radio on. Is there a fix?
    Thanks.
    Phil in N'awlins