Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Transmission Problems

12346»

Comments

• mothman92mothman92 Member Posts: 1
    My car doesn't want to move after I reverse or make hard stops. I have to give the petal a little gas before it jerks back in to gear and starts moving again. I think its low transmission fluid, but i'm not sure I only put a quart of trans fluid in and its still doing it. Do I need more or is it something else?
  • robinscrockerrobinscrocker Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 sebring sedan,it was working great til friday.I was on my way to work,stopped to get gas and when i started the car it would only go in reverse.It sounds like its stuck in neutral when you put it in drive.It won't even shift into low gear.For about 2 weeks before i was coming up to a red light and when i applied the brake the car started jerking,it didn't though if you put it in neutral.someone please give me some advise,for i know very little about cars.thanks
  • ogailyogaily Member Posts: 2
    The best answer to this problem, based of my experience of having 2 Sebrings and 1 Avenger is to erase the error code, drive the car for few kilometers and that's it.
  • jughead9jughead9 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Sebring I bought for my daughter is leaking transmission fluid. I bought and installed a new pan with a rubber gasket and filter. Still leaks, I removed the pan and added liquid gasket to both sides of the rubber gasket, Still leaks. I removed the pan and the rubber gasket, scraped clean the surfaces and used high temp red silicone gasket maker per instructions, still leaks. I think it might be coming from the solenoid pack that I think is just above the pan toward the front of the car. My question is what are the set of screws that are between the pan and the solenoid pack? There is about 5 and none are screwed all the way in. Are they suppose to be all the way in or are they tuning/adjuster screws. I really want to tighten them down.

If you have any suggestions for the leak would be appreciated. Car and tranny work great, just want to stop the leak.
  • nickdanger53nickdanger53 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought this car, enjoying it! Problem: With only 31K miles, car seems to have a tranny issue. Doesn't happen consistently, just occasionally. Seems to be when it's been sitting for a while, like overnite. Car starts out in 1st gear, and then sticks, & does not shift smoothly into 2nd. Instead, it "slams" into 2nd. Or, it will do same, but between 2nd & 3rd. And then, at other times, it shifts smoothly like it's supposed to do (all gears). Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? What can be done to remedy? Would like to be a truly satisfied & happy Sebring owner.
  • leo765leo765 Member Posts: 1
    same leak that I have in my 2000. its coming from the shift solonoid pack at the bottom. my screws are tightened all the way in so im replacing the shift pack. the transmission on a 2000 is the A604 / 41TE. ebay has several prices on the same part. go with the mopar replacement oem from electrical advantage.com
    88 bucks free shipping
  • drummernickdrummernick Member Posts: 3
    hi change soiniod body on tranie ok use atf 3 or 4 fluid only never gm shift have new filter too on tranie when u change fluid at shop 80 bucks
    and re tighten your screws around pan after 6 mo of changing fluid they get littie loose but 1st cheak change out cheap soiniod body on these dont mess with tranie itself when its proably not even that
  • smith99842smith99842 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get this problem fixed? My Chrysler just started doing the same thing.
  • nickdanger53nickdanger53 Member Posts: 2
    Since my problem is an intermittent one, I'm still dealing with it. I think I know it's cause. (I have an extended warranty with my car, but the car needs to exhibit the problem when it's in the shop to be fixed.) But, I have reason to believe that the shift solenoid pack body needs to be changed.
  • jusjulesjusjules Member Posts: 2
    2.7L V6, 122K miles. Winning noise with engine running in park. Transmission has delayed shifting into all gears. When in drive, transmission shifts in and out of gear.
  • jusjulesjusjules Member Posts: 2
    What is the proper procedure for flushing the transmission cooler and which line is the return line? 2002 Chrysler sebring sedan with 2.7l engine
  • missaykayg93missaykayg93 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chrysler sebring, So my car has done this too and eventually it stopped shifting, couldnt shift into to drive almost like it was in neutral, I had to literally fill the transmission multiple times.. to find out it was the shift sylanoid pack, once I got that fixed my car was no longer leaking and the clunking stopped it is the shift sylnoid. its almost like you want the car to break but it wants to drive while your breaking... need to get that fixed immediately because it will eventually cause engine problems.
  • kaiser85kaiser85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 chrysler sebring lxi coupe 3.0. My buddy owned the car right before me and when he had it it drove fine until the motor blew in it. We swapped the motor out and when the swap was in process the Output shaft speed sensor was snapped. No big deal I went and bought a new one after we found it via a code scanner when the car would not shift. So after replacing it the car still wont shift and the code for the output shaft speed sensor still pops up after it gets cleared. I ran through the wiring and it doesnt seem any thing is pinched or anything like that. Does any one have any idea what could be causing this. If i drive it down the road and get into the throttle alittle it will jolt into second, from there i can manually shift it into third. and when i slow down it will now downshift unless I downshift it via pulling the gear shift down into second.. doesnt seem to go down to first. (the motor came out of a Mitsubishi but from every thing i know about it the motors should be able to swap with no issues.
  • drummernickdrummernick Member Posts: 3
    same thing change soilniod body on tranie :lemon: junk on these cars try that
  • misralphmisralph Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 convertible sebring and I just had the alternator changed, when I tried to drive it the car jerks really hard when changing gear and I hear a scratching sound. the car was not doing any of this before the alternator went out. I am bout to lose my mind. My husband searched on line and found that this car had a recall on it for the same problem in 2000 or 2001. called the Chrysler dealer hoping that they can come get this piece of and fix it with no out of pocket fee's for me.. .Very frustrated and don't think I will ever recommend or purchase another car every from Chrysler....
    SAFETY RECALL – TRANSAXLE FLOOR SHIFTER IGNITION/PARK INTERLOCK
    Dear DaimlerChrysler Vehicle Owner:
    This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle
    Safety Act.
    DaimlerChrysler Corporation has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in
    some of the following vehicles equipped with a floor mounted shifter and an automatic transaxle:
    ¾1993 through 1999 model year Chrysler Concorde, LHS and 300M, Dodge Intrepid and Eagle Vision
    ¾1995 through 1999 model year Chrysler Cirrus and Dodge Stratus
    ¾1996 through 1999 model year Chrysler Sebring Convertible and Plymouth Breeze
    NOTE: Some of the above vehicles were involved in a previous recall which did not fully correct the
    ignition/park interlock system.
    The problem is... The transaxle floor shifter ignition/park interlock system on your
    vehicle (identified on the enclosed form) may become inoperative. This
    may allow the shifter to be moved out of the “Park” position with the
    ignition key removed (or in the “Lock” position). It may also allow
    the ignition key to be removed when the shifter has not been placed in
    the “Park” position. If the shifter is not in the “Park” position, these
    conditions could allow the vehicle to roll away and cause a crash
    without prior warning.
    What DaimlerChrysler
    and your dealer will do...
    DaimlerChrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and
    labor). To do this, your dealer will inspect the shift interlock system and
    either modify or replace the transaxle shifter as required. Shifter
    modification will take about ½ hour to complete. Shifter replacement, if
    necessary, will take about one hour. However, additional time may be
    necessary depending on how dealer appointments are scheduled and
    processed.
    What you must do to
    ensure your safety...
    ¾ Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service
    appointment.
    ¾ Bring the enclosed form http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/chrysler/index.jsp
    I for got to mention that you can check your vin number to find out if you card was serviced already for this disclaimer.. .
  • ronmcinteeronmcintee Member Posts: 1
    ive noticed over the last 3 months that the car jerks when shifting into another gear. two days ago as i was going down the highway, i heard a rattling noise (sounded like popcorn kernels bouncing around in popcorn machine). it sounded like it was coming from behind the middle of the dash and then it traveled down to my feet. the car seemed to be running fine so i drove it about 5 more miles to the next exit. i stopped and looked under the car and transmission fluid was pouring out. i could see the long trail it left thru the parking lot. within the next 2hrs of the car sitting,all the transmission fluid had leaked out. im wondering what i should look for first regarding the leak.
  • danigirl1danigirl1 Member Posts: 4

I have a 2001 chrysler sebring 3.0 v6 lxi, I was driving the car and pulling away from a red light and the tranny wouldn't go the rpms would rise like engine wanted to go but tranny was like it was stuck in park. I had some neighborhood mechanic look at it he said it needs a new tyranny @ $2000 but another one came to my house and said it's possibly the transmission control module. If anyone has any advice as to how I can figure this one out I would really appreciate it.

• rpaulwmsonrpaulwmson Member Posts: 1

Seems like I am a minority.. I have 1998 Sebring Convertible bought it in 1998, single owner, well-maintained, and have 160,000 miles without a spec of trouble in transmission, engine, etc.. I have so much confidence in it I just paid $2000 to have a few dents and scrapes fixed and a beautiful new paint job.. engine and transmission runs like new, I plan on keeping it for another 100,000 miles. I have had far less trouble with this car than a Toyota Camry (350,000 miles) or a Honda Accord (260,000 miles), both of which have reputations of high reliability.

• luciouslips234luciouslips234 Member Posts: 1

Really needing some car advice, my 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible will only drive in neutral and has stopped going in reverse. When I drive it in neutral it try's to shift gear's and makes a huge squealing noise like someone is killing it lol.. I am very frustrated because we just spent money to have the transmission changed 4-5 month's ago. I'm thinking it's from the rusty dipstick that the idiot who did our Transmission put back in there instead of either cleaning it or buying a new one and it's clogged something up. Can anyone suggest any other possibilities?

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

How can a car "drive" in neutral?

• rpinmdrpinmd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 convertable, 2.5 engine, 140,000 miles. Recently it has started slipping out of first gear on cold mornings when I first start driving it. It will usually drive until the fist time I come to a full start (within about 100 yards) then slip out of drive and start rolling backwards (which would be downhill where I'm at) after it goes back into first it is fine for the rest of the day. Fluid is good (type 4) Also noticed today when it did it the left turn signal (which was already on) started blinking rapidly, then went back to normal when I got it back in gear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • ehonakerehonaker Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Sebring 2.7 speedometer quit and trans upshifted. Pulled off side of road and when I put it in reverse it felt as if it was trying to go both drive and reverse and the same while in drive. Only way I could get it to move was to use auto stick and placed it in 3. Drove to a safer place and it went to 2. Got to a truck stop and now I have reverse and drive(drove around parking lot) speedometer still not working. Help!!!
  • longarms11longarms11 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I own a 2004 chrysler sebring 2.7L V6. Recently I have been experiencing something very bizarre that doesn't seem to be a common problem. Sometimes (not every time but frequently) while I'm either in park or idling in gear, my transmission will shift gears and the rpm's and mph's will go up. Never any higher than 20mph but usually then settles back down to reading 0mph. It is more than just my engine revving up because my I can hear my car shifting gears. I do not have any problems shifting while driving that are noticeable at least.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!