Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    I'm not aware of a volume control on the reverse sensing system, but my wife and I have no problem hearing ours. I would have your Ford dealer look at it. Maybe the speaker is being blocked by something. We really find the reverse sensing system to be very useful, but it does sense curbs in addition to other objects.

BTW- We have had our EB since January. It now has almost 6000 miles on it without a single problem. We have taken it on two road trips and love the ride and handling at freeway speeds.

Our only complaint is the lousy mileage (about 15 mpg), but we knew about that prior to buying it.
  • ejzejz Member Posts: 18
    Just bought a 2001 EB 4X4 with the Premier group. The Arizona Beige is a very nice color. It also came with the rear entertainment system (LCD screen and VCR). I was wondering if anyone recieved any documentation about this system with theirs? I did not get any info. Really want to find out if there is some way to attach a Nintendo 64 to the system for long trips. Also, any tips about good sources for interior accessories (mats, rear center console, etc.) would also be appreciated. Hoping to keep this for a long time so anything to watch for would also be appreciated.
  • breezeebreezee Member Posts: 9
    Just for the record, I've never used anything but regular gas in my '98 Navigator and never heard a ping. I don't know if the newer 300HP motors are any different, but mine is fine.

Anyone buying a 2001 Expy or Nav should really wait a couple of months for the new 2002 models unless you want to take advantage of the 0% financing deal they are giving now to clear the inventory. GM also announced incentives on their F/S SUVs. Part inventory, part gas prices, part bragging rights I think.

For those of you looking to buy an aftermarket extended warranty on a US-Built 4 X 4, try this... 5 years/100,000 miles for $845, Asian-built is $790. Call 800-352-7676 Heritage Insurance Company. I don't use them, but they are out there advertising. Worth a look.

BrZ
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    You'll have to wait more than a few months for the 2002 models. Job 1 is currently scheduled for November, which means early 2002 before vehicles are at the dealerships. Also, the Job 1 date could always be moved back!
  • ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    I've noticed the door panel on my 01 Expedition states the PSI for my Goodyear RTS 255/70R16 tires is 30 front and 35 rear. Is anyone running them at that pressure?
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    Isnt the Expedition due for a facelift for next year? The expedition might as well be canceled due to the growing explorer and Excursion, Ford's only chance to save the Expedition would be to make a massive facelift in order to save the large SUV.
  • jstephen1jstephen1 Member Posts: 1
    I just survived a roll-over accident in my 1995 Ford Explorer. We are in the process of investigating the Firestone Wilderness tires that were on the car at the time. I am looking to purchase a used 1999 Ford Expedition. My wife was injured and is now terrified to get into anything smaller than a mid-size SUV. I have been reading about the vibration that the Expedition has along with many other problems. I am looking for a safe family car. Please share your likes and dislikes.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Does it include the Wilderness AT's on our 17" rims?
    I also read about the vibrations before we bought our 2001 EB Expy in January. From what I can gather, MOST of the vibration complaints are on Expys that have the load-leveling suspension. Apparently the system somehow gets mis-aligned and must be re-calibrated at the dealer to fix the problem. I drove three new Expys on long, extended test drives before buying one. I never felt any vibrations, even at freeway speeds. None of the trucks I tested had the load-leveling suspension either.

After five months and 6000 miles, we are very pleased with our Expy. We've taken two long road trips and find it very comfortable on the highway. We haven't had a single problem so far.

Our only complaint would be the gas mileage. We have the 5.4 engine and only get 14-15 mpg. But, that's only a smidge less than the Isuzu Trooper we traded in. The Expy is a big, heavy truck, which should mean that it would be safer in an accident. I hope we never have to find out.

BTW- This is only my opinion, but I wouldn't have Firestone tires on ANY vehicle. I switched to Michelins on our Expy and am VERY pleased with them.
    The Expedition will be completely re-done for 2002. New body and, get this, improved mileage, by 2-4 mpg! Supposedly much better aerodynamics.

If Ford can keep from repeating history, and produce a trouble-free new truck from day 1, they could easily put a significant dent in Sequoia and Tahoe sales. Let's see if they're up to the challenge.
    As stated before by a few people, the '02 Expedition will be very new. In fact, they will be offering a new diesel engine in some models! I just heard, though, that the launch has been delayed again ... probably until Spring of '02 instead of January/February. It's supposed to be a nice vehicle ... many of the engineers are bragging that it's going to blow the Sequoia away!
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    I also have just taken a 5 hour trip with my family in our expedition with the prem sport package w/ 17 inch wheels, 4.6 engine. Gas mileage was also good. I drove from wash dc to greensboro nc on a full tank and had a little over a quarter of a tank left. No problems drove fine with no wheel vibrations, smooth, quiet. The horsepower of the 4.6 was sufficient did well. I also think that the wheel vibrations are those probably with the load level suspension and possibly the chrome wheels that come with the eddie bauer's.
    My wife's vehicle has had them from day 1, between 62-67 mph.

It's a 2000 XLT Sport 4x4.
    joelis, which engine do you have? Do you all think it might have something to do with the weight ratio between the 5.4 engine or 4.6 ?
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    I cannot wait for the diesel option, I plan to be the first one on the block with one. The only thing that will stink is if the keep delaying it, they are sure to badge it a 2003 model, then I will have to wait!
    btw...I have a '00 EB with load level and 14k, NO vibration problems!
    Ford will reimburse you up to $130 per tire if you have ALREADY replaced the Wilderness AT tires on your Expedition between August of 2000 and yesterday (May 22nd, 2001). Or, you can replace them now and your dealer will reimburse you. You must have your ORIGINAL receipt.

Check out www.ford.com for all the details and the refund form.

Run out and buy your new tires TODAY, before they're all gone.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    I'm on board with joelis. The vibrations that are predominantly in this topic are not related to LLS or chrome wheels. A few people posted about vibrations when first started and some attributed it to the LLS coming on. The rest of the complaints are at 60-67mph. I too have had the issue since day 1. The last time I was in (out of 8 times) they changed course and decided that it was a harmonic in the exhaust up near the manifold that is present at all speeds at 1600 rpm, but only significant enough to notice between 60-67. A load of crap as far as I am concerned. CT voted against my arbitration bid for a replacement based on the fact that the condition did not constitute significant loss of value or utility.
  • divergdiverg Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone out there leased a 2001 Expy recently? I am going to be going in soon and i'd like some feedback. My goal is to put very little down, and I'm in the North East so a 4X4 is a must. I am not overly concerned with ED or not. - seem the biggest difference is leather (don't care) but I will need the running boards.
    Please let me know. Thanks!
    I'd get the diesel in a heart beat, too. I was incorrect about my earlier statement of pushing back Job 1 again. They still plan to start production in early January, so Expeditions would start shipping a couple of months after that, assuming no major quality issues with the first builds. The diesel, though, is going to be a late addition to the '02 model ... I'm not yet sure when, though.
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    My 2001 has the 4.6L, alumninum wheels and no LLS, and I have the vibration, most noticable at same speeds others have, at approx. 65 mph. I even replaced the Wilderness AT's with Michelins and the problem is exactly the same. I then rotated the front wheel and tire to the back to rule out the wheel and tire. Again, problem exactly the same. My bet is the rear axle alignment is not right and would need to be replaced, but how could some axles be good and some bad? Other than the shaking all the way down the highway, this vehicle is tight. I had an early one when they came out and it was rock solid. I'm disappointed with the vibration though, and have ruled out buying a 2002 Explorer to replace my 99 ML320. I mean, how can I feel good when the truck is nice, but shakes you down the road? Like someone else posted, it's very subtle but once you notice it, it will drive you nuts. This is why I leased this one, which I have never done. In two years, it's someone else's problem. I work too hard for my money to be stuck..
    " This is why I leased this one, which I have never done. In two years, it's someone else's problem. I work too hard for my money to be stuck"...What, are you using Monopoly money to make your lease payments?
    I would assume that you work just as hard for the loot to make your lease payments as you would to make loan installments.
    I would still try to get the situation tended to since it IS yours for the next two years!
    How do you like the 4.6 engine performance and gas mileage? What are the major differences you see in the 2001 vs the previous expedition that you owned? what are the improvements. Do the michelins ride better than the firestones? are they smoother and quieter?
    You are correct; money for lease or purchase is real money; I'm just not going to be stuck with a vehicle that will require numerous visits to the shop and reduced trade value in the event knowledge of the Expy vibration problem spreads. I suspect the owners of late-model Explorers(great vehicles-I had 3 of them with NO problems/bad tires,in my opinion) are worse off than those who leased them since Explorer resale value has plummeted. The lease holder will just drive it to the lot and turn it in. I do intend to continue to get them to solve the problem on the Expy. The wife drives it and I want her happy with it..I just don't understand how you go to great lengths to make it noise free, rattle free, comfortable, but, the rear-end shakes; Ford could find it if they would assign engineers to it, rather than let dealer service depts. field the complaints..
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I trade every 2 years, rain or shine. Decided to trade out of my 98 EXP for a Toyota Sienna last year. Seemed like a wise thing to do considering gas prices. I do 95% of my driving in town. City milage in my EXP was 13 around town on regular unleaded gas. My Sienna gets 16.5 mpg around town on premium. If you're gonna compare apples to apples, you gotta subtract 10% from the Sienna milage (as premium is 10% more) giving me a net dollar for dollar 14.85 mpg in the Sienna. For all practical purposes the Sienna has a 1.85 mpg advantage. At 1000 miles a month we're talking 20 bucks a month difference. Speaking from experience, you get a hell-of-a-lot more car in an Expedition over a minivan and well worth the $270 a year in added gasoline. Wish I had mine back....lol.....I'm working on it.
    .....keep working, I know you can do it!!!
    This morning, the Expo was black....the battery gods got me!! Got too used to the automatic lights. Yesterday, it rained all day, had to override the auto switch and put the fogs on as well (might as well use 'em). Got home, put it in the garage and forgot that I had turned the lights on manually. Needless to say, I was reminded this morning!
    It's hard to compare the 2 I have owned. The early one was an EB with all options. The nly thing I hated about it was the LLS, which clicked all the time. It could have been fixed but I never had time to take it in. Also, that one had no vibration that I ever noticed. The one I have now is an XLT 2wd with cloth(trying to save a few $$) and the only complaints I have is that it has rear vibration, shocks are TOO soft(you roll around turns) and it dumped all the rear-end fluid on my garage floor on day 2, requiring a week in the shop. That didn't do much for my confidence in Ford. The sad part is I have always had good luck with Ford, but there are alot of horror stories out there, and the service depts can't keep up and Ford(and prob. most other mfgrs. refuse to stand by their product. They even claim delaers are indep. busineeses and they 'can't do anything' about them. That is bull, because I know some dealers and the mfgr has a heavy hand on them and flexes their muscle all the time. They just don't want to back up the product they produce anymore.
    The Michelins do ride better, and I was hoping that would elim. the vibration, but it is about the same. I have the same Michelins on a ML320 and they improved it considerably. I will probably never buy anything but Michelins. My guess is Firestone will be history very soon. The continue to deny the problem is theirs, but they are 'making upgrades in materials and design....'. What a PR fiasco.
  • boonsboroboonsboro Member Posts: 22
    I have the Firestone tires on my 2000 Exp. Does anyone have recommendations on a good replacement tire? Ford lists 3 replacements for P265/70R17 -- Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A, and Michelin LTX M/S. Does anyone have these tires on their SUV?

From the Ford web site I see that we can be reimbursed up to $130 per tire or the dealer will swap them for free. Check out http://fordfirestonewildernessatprogram.ford.com/ for more details on the recall.

• sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I had my Firestones changed out to the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S 17" before I would take delivery. That was 6 months and 15k miles ago. The ride is superb and very quiet. Not sure about the tread life. They are wearing even, and still look strong, but someone else posted only 40k out of theirs in past.
    On the other hand the Michelins can't be beat. I would have had those instead, except there was a shortage at the time.
    I went with the Michelin LTX M/S and have them on both vehicles. They are great tires and should last a long time, but I probably will not go beyond 40K miles because I like plenty of tread even though they would not be considered worn out. Hydroplaning is just no fun! I paid $150/tire mounted and balanced, no bargain, but got what I paid for..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    US Government Releases Rollover Results

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

It's so amazing to me that we now have to come out with roll-over ratings. It seems so intuitive to me that the taller the vehicle the easier it is to roll-over. When you buy an SUV ... duh ... you are more likely to roll-over when you jerk the steering wheel than if you were driving a car.
    Remember, it is the Governments job to protect the people from themselves.
  • centralflcentralfl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ex in the garage now test driving it this weekend. We are planning to lease as we did with our previous vehicle, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My philosophy has always been never put anything down. That is just money in their pockets. Find out what the vehicle is worth, minus the rebates and dealer cash incentives, as well as the 3% on sticker kickback they get and start dealing from that point. Don't let them just get your $1500 and pocket it. that's always a neat trick. Never go beyond four years on a lease, that is a long time to be locked in. And last, always make sure they have checked all financial institutions for better lease deals. They usually use several different banks and if you credit score is high, above 740, there are several banks that you can choose from that will give you a better rate. Have fun and remember, walk out at least three times. They will always come after you.
    dude,
    you have put ENTIRELY too much thought into your twisted process w/too many built in assumptions (money down=money in "their" pockets?) Nice one.
    Try this. Ask two questions:
    1. What are you selling the car to the lease company for?
    2. What is the money factor that you are using?

Make it clear that you want to put no cap. cost monies down, only fees.
    Do your homework first by figuring invoice prices and the $1500 rebate currently on the Expo.
    ......And all of this can be done without the foolishness which you suggest.
  • ejzejz Member Posts: 18
    Have had a 2001 EB 4X4 for almost 2 weeks now. Guzzles gasoline but otherwise we really like it. Had an interesting occurrence the other evening: The car was unlocked in the garage and had been sitting there for a few hours and all of a sudden the vehicle alarm went off (at about 11:30 PM). Fortunately I was still up and went out and started it up to shut the alarm off. Anybody else had random alarm activation? Maybe a mouse crawled up in the engine compartment and set it off. Just wondering if this is something I should worry about happening again?
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    Greetings,

I saw an ad in Sunday's paper for '01 EBs at $379 a month for 24 months. $2k down, 12k miles, and the sales manager said that they were base EBs (4.6L, but with the free moon roof). One other area dealership I mentioned it to checked it out and said that they would meet the price. It was from the Atlanta Journal/Constitution for Team Ford/Hub Ford.

Sound like a good deal?

Scott
  • missemisse Member Posts: 22
    Looking at a 2001 XLT 4WD; does not list the 535 trailer towing group; salesperson claims all 5.4L engines have the super engine cooling and transmission oil cooler; can anyone verify this or explain what I could look for in the engine compartment to discern for myself?
    I believe that the trailer towing package is standard on the 2001 model which was optional last year. Along with the class 3 hitch, you should get the oil and trans coolers. The optional package this year is the class 4 package, offering increased towing capacity. If you are looking to tow big weight, it kills me to say this, but seriously consider a 3/4 ton Suburban with teh optional engine. That extra wheelbase length has plenty of benefit!!
    Engine cooling would be a larger radiator. You would need to measure the thickness of the radiator(s) to determine the differences. Transmission cooling is usually provided by a separate small "radiator" that is connected to the transmission via tubing/hoses. Unfortunately, I haven't the foggiest idea where Ford has located this item.

Another option would be to visit the service dept. of your local Ford dealer and ask a Service Manager to help you determine the differences. The Service Managers I have spoken to have been extremely helpful.

Personally, I have no use for the trailer hitch on our new EB Expy (std equip), but I like the idea of having improved cooling for the engine & tranny.
    Greetings,

I am working a lease with a local dealer. '01 EB with 5.4L and limited slip diff., and Rear Seat Ent. Sys. I have gotten them to a payment of $407/month for a 24 month lease, with $2k down. Any suggestions on requesting a change in tires from the Uniroyal OEM tires to something else?

Thanks,
    SST
    Yeah, get the Firestone Wilderness AT's ... I've heard there are a lot of them out there right now! Heh heh!

Mine came with Goodyears and I've been happy with those so far. Any problems with the Uniroyals? I can't think of anything problems with 'em ...
  • tvbraintvbrain Member Posts: 10
    My wife is dead set on an '01 Expedition. We can buy through Ford's X-plan, so it's a done deal. I'm wondering if the vibration problem will show up on the freeway on a test drive? Is it something that I can have repaired on a Due Bill?
    Plus, CarsDirect.com has 2wd XLT's listed at under invoice. Anybody else getting them for that cheap?
    klkrause,

I actually think they are using General Tires (Grabbers?). I had read on previous posts that people were disappointed with their performance (but no blowouts...).

Yeah, that's the ticket. I'll switch to Wilderness ATs. They'll probably give me 2 sets just to get rid of them.

Thanks,
    SST
    Greetings,

I have a dilemma, and I am seeking some advice. I am trying to decide between to EBs. One has the factory rear seat entertainment system, the other is being offered with an after market system. Has anyone out there had any experience with the factory unit or the after market systems from Audiovox? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    SST
  • la1010la1010 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2000 Expedition with 23,000 miles approx 4 months ago. We love the vehicle except that it ocassionally stalls when coming to a stop. Seems to happen when there's only 1/4 tank of gas of less. It restarts and is fine for awhile. Dealer has it for the first time and is unable to find the problem. When put on computer, it doesn't register any code. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?
  • alsuudalsuud Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2000 EB 4x4 in Jan'00 and have driven 9000 miles so far without any mechanical problems. It still looks like brand new and smell like brand new,... kind of...

See, the interior has very strong odor. My wife says "It's new car smell". I don't know if it comes from A/C,vent or leather seats, but it's definitely not a new car odor. It's more like some kind of chemical or petroleum odor. It is a sharp, unpleasant smell. It started bothering me after driving a few months when I started smell it in or out of the car and day in day out. Sometimes I don't drive it a week or so, but I smell the odor everywhere I go and constantly. The smell become specially strong when I come close to varnished furniture, plastics, etc.

Does anybody have similar problem or know anything about it?
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I Have had some experience with the Ford stalling problem, but not with this Expedition. I had a 98 Explorer that would stall at unpredictable intervals, usually when attempting to start off at a light or stop sign. we had it for 2 years and 35k miles and "it could not be reproduced" in the words of the serv. dept after 2 years we gave up and traded in on a new 01 PF. That was the best decision we have made in a long time. Man the Pathfinder is a great, quality, tight vehicle.
    Anyway, back to my story. Ford seems to have a stalling problem over many different models. Several of my friends who have explorers had the same problems, a Co-worker with a 1999 XLT Expedition has had Her's stall on a few occasions. California is considering forcing Ford to do a mass recall (if it hasn't happened already) due a stalling problem in several models from the early to mid 90's. The point is you are not alone, but it is unlikely to be fixed. If you had somekind of purchase return warranty on your Expedition, I would return it now and try your luck with a different one. Our 2000 EB Expy has not yet reared the stalling monster's head.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    The vibration happens at 1600 rpm between 60-65 mostly. It is easier to fell when you approach a grade and try to maintain speed. It will vibrate until it downshifts. It will keep doing it as long as you like if you prevent the downshift. I don't understand your comment about fixing it - nobody here has been able to get it fixed. If we had, we wouldn't talk about the chronic nature of the problem and the 400 fixes that have been tried.
    Also, (at least with our experience) its more pronouced on smooth blacktop roads than it is on rougher concrete roads. The smoother the road is, the more you notice it.
  • tvbraintvbrain Member Posts: 10
    >>I don't understand your comment about fixing it - nobody here has been able to get it fixed.<<

I thought I read a few hundered posts back about somebody getting it fixed. Sorry, didn't mean to tweak you so badly.