Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne Vibration Problems

Comments

• kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    I am glad you are happy with the Comfortreds and hope yours don't turn out like mine. I have them on the other car.
    I strayed from Michelin, swayed by rave reviews, and learned a lesson. Sure they are quiet and have good traction, but I am not happy with the wear so far and they do vibrate more than Michelins that I had on the same car. They also have more normal bulges in the sidewalls that I am not happy with. I have about 20K on them.
    As far as the engine noise, I honestly can say it is not all that noticeable. I have owned several big FWD Buicks an Olds, and this is the smoothest and most quiet 3800 by a long shot so far.
    I do like the wheel design Buick chose for the 16" CX.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Michelin MXV4+? Interestingly enough, it's the tire that kept the vibration under control on my '02 Bonneville too. Good to hear that GM did the same test as me, though they could have reacted faster than 5 years... ;)
  • jbrichjbrich Member Posts: 23
    I've been having the same trouble with my 2006 CXL since we got it last August. Thought we had the problem solved with Michelins but still had a shimmy once tires had been in same position for about 3500 mi. Dealer agreed to rotate for free every 5000 mi. but then decided to call Michelin and get new tires under their warranty. Had them put on Saturday and the car is worse than it was from the very start. I've had enough! The car has been in the shop at least 15 times and we're back to square one. Did you say you were in PA?? Can you tell me where you found a good lemon law attorney? Thanks
  • lucerneownerlucerneowner Member Posts: 14
    Me too (on the 16" wheel design)! It seems strange that you would have vibration/wear problems with your ComforTreds, given they are so highly rated for 'treadwear' as well as 'quiet ride' (http://tinyurl.com/2fvbfo) with ~6 million driving miles of experience. Perhaps you got a bad lot. I've got only 8K miles on mine so far, with no apparent problems, so will keep my fingers crossed. Regarding engine noise, I agree that my CX Lucerne is probably quieter in that regard than 90+% of other cars, but I was terribly spoiled by my late model 1999 LeSabre Ltd, so the "growly/gruff" 3.8L in the CX seems somewhat noisy in comparison. There is a Technical Service Bulletin that sez some had a defective engine mount, and I had that one replaced, but it didn't help noticeably. Given this problem was 'solved' in at least some earlier G-body & H-body 3.8L models [1999 may have been best H-body & 2005 the best G-body], I think it is a problem unique to the Lucerne. I understand that there are (will be?) newer "double-isolated" engine/transmission mounts for the Lucerne, but don't know details. I'd love to find out!
  • how123how123 Member Posts: 9
    If your looking for a lemon law attorney in pa call 1800-LEMON LAW. Their web site is www.lemonlaw.com . Im using them and their is no charge.
    Sorry if it has been said, but make sure they use a Hunter road force balancer for your tires. I remember seeing a post a while back saying the problem was solved by this.
    You are correct. I thought it solved the problem with the first set of tires but later found out that the tires begin to feather on the edges and it starts to ride rough again. The dealer keeps blaming the tires but we've had Conti's and two set of Michelins with the same problem. Seems to suggest that the car has a problem not the tires...not sure why I'm the only one who sees that. We're taking it back in Wednesday for Roadforce balancing. They are also checking the steering again (there's something wrong with the linkage - also from day one). Oh, and the rotors are bad already. Service manager says that all of these things are wrong on a lot of their vehicles. I didn't know that GM built so much junk!! This is the last time to the service dept. for me...then I'm headed for the lemon law attorney!
    GM needs to react much faster when problems like this come up. IMHO, this is the bread and butter car that has the potential of saving Buick. (I am still mad at the discontinuation of Olds, but that is for another forum.)
    If Lesabre and Park Avenue drivers start trading in their cars for the Lucerne, and the Lucerne has problems such as vibration, then owners may be turned off.
    Since I like GM and am loyal, I hope that the Lucernes with vibrations are rare, and that there are many satisfied owners out there that don't write into this forum because they don't have anything to gripe about.
    Anyway, I am thankful that mine does not vibrate at all. I gave it the most thourough test drive I have ever given a car before I got it.
    After some GM intervention, I have the opportunity to trade out of my 2006 Lucerne with vibration and steering issues. Of course I have to replace it with another GM vehicle - I'm not sure I want to attempt a 2007 Lucerne...anyone have any advice on that? Any suggestions on another GM? Thanks for any input.
  • walt55walt55 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my '06' Lucerne (6-cyl) back to the dealer about 5 - 6 times to correct the (initial acceleration) vibration problem. They replaced the engine mount and made the adjustment mentioned in post # 145, neither of which corrected the problem. Finally, they identified the culprit .... It was the catalytic converter or more correctly, the mounting of the CC. They replaced the CC and 'bingo', no more vibration.

Up to that point, GM was at a total loss as to the cause so they were no help. But thanks to my dealer's persistence, they were able to correct it.
    Walt
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    I hope you're right about the no charge. Sometimes there are hidden charges in the agreements that you don't realize, especially if there's a settlement by the manufacturer.
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    Has anyone had problems with brake vibrations? Mine has had that issue 2 or 3 times already, and I can feel it coming on yet again. I have about 26,000 miles on my CXS, much of it highway mileage. I've never had this type of problem consistently before, and I'm wondering if it's just an unlucky problem with my specific car, or something that is happening for the model.
    Glad your problem got taken care of, Walt. I am a little confused tho ... if the problem was the CC mounting and not the CC itself, then why did they replace the CC? It kinda sounds as tho the problem was related to the one in post #145 after all, as the only problem I can think of is that the torquing (rotation) of the engine (and resulting movement of everything attached to it) upon acceleration from a stop was causing the CC to touch the chassis momentarily and transmit vibration ... Dave
  • carhelp7carhelp7 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know if GM took care of this vibration issue for 07' model??? Anyone with an 07' that is having same problem? Thanks for any help.
    Buick never acknowledged that the post #145 Lucerne vibration issue was a general problem, just an occasional problem when pertinent tolerances all added up the wrong way, I guess. So, I doubt that anything was done about it for 2007 models. They DID acknowledge a problem with 1 of the 4 2006 engine/xmission mounts, and redesigned it. Replacing that mount, however, didn't help my particular vibration problem, as described in post #145. I'm pretty satisfied with the 'QUIETness" of my 2006 Lucerne now, but still feel they did an inadequate job isolating engine noise from the cabin, a job they did splendidly in my 1999 LeSabre Ltd. The good news is that they did a good job reducing wind noise in the Lucernes.
  • tstriddetstridde Member Posts: 1
    No, they have not taken care of the vibration issue. I took delivery of a 2007 Lucerne CXL and I have a very noticeable vibration that begins mostly above 40 mph and continues on up through 70 to 75 mph. Dealer has had it almost as much as I have. They have replaced drive shafts, done alignment, replaced the tires and road forced balanced, which seemed to make it worse. The new tires helped some, but it is still there. They let me drive a 2008, and it doesn't feel much better. I would be happy to hear if anyone has solved this problem.
    This is clearly a DIFFERENT vibration problem than the one described in posts #145 & #172, which occurred only during momentary rotation/(torquing of the engine on the engine mounts during initial acceleration (problem since corrected). I have never had your particular vibration problem, as my '06 CX is quite smooth at the speeds you mention. Good luck finding someone here with the experience/insight to address your particular problem. I'm sure you are very frustrated with this.
  • zstszsts Member Posts: 1
    Finally after the third time in the shop for vibration and other front-end suspension noises they replaced the stabilizer bar linkage, strut mounts and intermediate steering shaft. So far this has taken care of all my vibration and noises I’ve had. Hope this helps someone else.
  • edub708edub708 Member Posts: 11
    My 2007 CXS has a vibration issue from 40-up. I have had the tired balanced 2 times already. I will take it to the delaer now. Also, I hear a tick in the engine. You cannot hear the tick unless you open the hood since the car is pretty quiet. But when the hood is open, you can clearly hear it. I think the Lucerne has many manufactiruing isses based upon what I have been reading. I wish I did more homework before spending the money. Good thing is I am still under 1 year and not close to 12K miles. If they cannot fix it in 3 tries, I will get legal counsel to have GM buy the car back under the lemon laws.
  • tbird007tbird007 Member Posts: 1
    In my initial test drive of my new 2007 Buick Allure CXL (Lucerne in the US) I noted a vibration in the steering and seat at 60 - 70 mph. I was informed by the dealer this would be taken care of. However, after a wheel balance and replacement of tires with Michelin the vibration did not disappear.
    GM was contacted and their response was that this was a 'normal characteristic of the vehicle" and asked me to 'accept the diagnosis given'. I am not satisfied after paying over $38,000.00 and expect GM to correct the problem. I have owned several Buicks and other GM products over the past 40 years have never encountered this before.
    I have submitted a complaint to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board in hope that I will take into consideration my complaint from day one, that GM has been aware of this problem for some time (according to messages provided above), and that I was not informed of this possible design flaw.
    I think you are absolutely correct and in the right. I've had vibration problems with my 2006 Lucerne CX (now 36K miles), but yours is certainly not one of them. I've read in this and other Forums that others have had your vibration problem, even after changes tires, but don't recall if/how they were resolved. Good luck!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Have the wheels and tires balanced by a Hunter 9700 RoadForce balancer with a knowlegeable operator. Have the alignment set precisely to the recommend settings. That should fix your LaCrosse/Allure.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I had my tires balanced, no improvment. I then had them road forced balanced and it turned out 2 bad tires. The other 2 tires were ok. Got 2 new tires and they were road force balanced, still vibration. I test drove 3 2008 CXS at the dealer and they were worse than my car with respect to vibration. I then went to Bridgestone since I have the EL400-02 245/50/18 tires. They did another road force balance and it was better but still a vibration. I begged to get the Michelin tires and I was told "that is not an approved tire in this size". I was about to buy some Michelins HX MXM4 245/50/18 tires, but they are about $1000.00 for a set of 4 and I spent enough on the car. GM is ignoring its customers. I was always loyal to GM but no more!!! In short, GM cannot help me so now I will get a lemon law case opened. Does anyone know if you are entitled to a full refund in lemon law cases??? I wonder how long it takes to be resolved. I think everyone should start doing lemon law cases so GM can wake up. Ashame they will have to spend over $30K when all they had to sepdn was $1K on tires.
    Which Michelin tires was tried??? For the CXL 17" tires it seems GM will try those but not the CXS 18" tires. Seems most had success with Michelin HX MXM4 tires. I assume your sire is 235/45/17.
    When the Bridgestone dealer RoadForce balanced, did they tell you the amount of error in the tires? Example, my Michelins all checked below 10 units except one was 12. The dealer said the ram-tested tires GM shipped for replacements at the tie the frame stiffness was becoming a factor showing the bad tire construction were showing up to 18 or a number like that. IOW, a good tire fixes the problem.

In my opinion the Firestone/Bridgestone tire people have a vested interest in not trying to replace tires if the best new tire is going to have a substantial amount of RoadForce out-of-roundness.

Others have mentioned a change in a motor/transmission mount affected the vibration they were feeling on Lucernes.

What has happened is the moving parts on the wheels that hold the wheels in place have gotten lighter. This means less mass to hold the tire in place as it wants to move up and down due to the out-of-roundness. The stiffer chasses also transmit the feel more. This has shown the poor tire construction of some companies.

I don't know, but I will go back and have them do it again and tell me the info. What is the accepted road force balance value for CXS so it will not vibrate??? I am almost certain it is the tires as it has improved by some degrees when I had various balances and drive for a short while although never vibrationless. I really like the car but this vibration I will not accect and I am certainly not about to spend $1K to get the proper tires.
    I just setup an appt for tomorrow at 10am. I requested to have a pre and post printout of each tire results. I just need to know what is a "good tire" for the Lucernce in terms of the results.
    Well my vibration issue driving at speeds higher than 40MPH was fixed. It turns out I had 2 bad tires and when the 2 new replacement tires came in, they replaced the 2 good tires with the 2 new tires leaving the 2 bad tires on the car. Anyway, once I got the 2 new tires
    actually replacing the 2 bad tires, smooth!!! However, there is a another issue. I couldn't tell due to the bad tires, but when I go over bumps, there is some sort of resonating vibration for about 1.5sec or so after the bump. I think it resembles a tuning fork being being struck against something. Since I needed my car, I have setup an appt with the dealer to test drive another CXS to see how it handles. I wonder how good the MRC on this car was designed or if mine actually has some issue. A car should not wobble/resonate after going over a bump. I would expect a nice smooth ride since it supposedly adjusts many many time per sec.

Anyone else epxericence this feeling in their CXS??? The CXL does not drive like this as I have driven those a couple times. My tires were so bad I didn't notice this. At least I can drive on the highway now without vibration except when I hit a decent size bump. Then wobble shake.........
    Have you tried checking the tire pressure? A tire installer inflated mine to 38 lbs. and after going over bumps it rang like a bell. I set the pressure back to 30 and no more ringing.
    I just won my lemon law arbitration case for front end vibration on my '06 CXL. Still awaiting the settlement numbers from GM but it should be everything that I paid for the last 21 months, plus my original trade-in, downpayment, and TTL. They also have to pay your attorney fees if you use one (over and above your settlement). DO NOT use one of those lemon law attorneys that are advertised. They take a percentage of your settlement. GM requires you to go through the BBB Auto Line if you wish to pursue a lemon law case. You can do it yourself online if you want to. We had an attorney (whose only value was the day of the hearing), otherwise I spoon fed him everything - even definitions of the PA lemon law. I am extremely pleased with the way the BBB handled our case. If you want any more info. let me know. Good Luck!

BTW - over the last 21 months, I have had 3 sets of tires, two RoadForce balances, numerous balancing and alignment attempts, steering half shaft, rotors turned (20K mi.), rotors replaced (40K mi), new stereo (CD quit working), new seat module (memory seat went haywire), and new driver side mirror (memory went haywire).
  • oldguy8oldguy8 Member Posts: 12
    I would rather GM built this car as a rear wheel drive as I am more familiar with that concept, I have had only one vibration issue and that is on turns at low acceleration
    otherwise car is quite smooth.car is cxl w/V6
  • brigettevbrigettev Member Posts: 5
    I have an 06 cxl V6, the dealership has balanced the tires about 3-4 times, then finally put 4 new tires on, no luck, still vibrating, what to do? :lemon:
    Well, I just got and update, the dealership has determined that the car DOES infact have a PROBLEM, it needed BOTH FRONT AXLES! Tha bad thing is I had to call BUICK to get some help, they then called the dealership and set up the appointment! I hope this will solve all vibration problems! :confuse:
    how did you contact Buick? feel free to email me or respond here with the number and the rep to whom you spoke, do you know if Buick suggested the axles or they found it on their own merit? I had my tired changed and I still get a vibration on acceleration and on turns. Hitting bumps I feel a shuddering vibration and sometimes in the pedal almost like a tuning fork being hit. The dealers keep telling me nothing is wrong but something has to be loose under there. btw....is your issue resolved now?
    Please refer to my post # 145. I think you may be having the same vibration problem I had, so the fix may be the same
    >so now they are waiting on ANOTHER SET of tires

What brand of tires and what model did they get in the past? Michelin?
    I assume these are ramp tested under load for quality and are being sent out for the dealer to road force balance and install?

The description of a resonance vibration after an initial impact by one poster here sounds like it might be a motor or transmission mount allowing a little movement in response to the impact on one wheel and that movement is continuing as it deteriorates instead of being dampened quickly.

Same resonating could come from wheels, axles, and tires invoking a movement and then the chassis and wheel continuing the resonance.

They are now putting on Michelin tires, they are doing what Buick is telling them to do, because they think that I just dont want the car, I dont trust the dealership anymore, this was our second vehicle in less than a year. I called about a popping sound then you turn the wheel and they told me 265$, I took it to another dealership and it was covered under the bumper to bumper, it was the steering gear! I hope they get it fixed, I'm tired of driving the junk they gave me to drive, while they are working on mine!
    Well here's and update! they got the Michelin tires on and guess what, it STILL has the vibration, and to top that off, it pulls so hard to the right it hurts your arm to drive, so I left it at the dealership, I have owned the car for 4 weeks, they have had it fir 2.5 weeks, sounds like I bought a LEMON! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Do you feel the vibration through the steering wheel? Does it vary in intensity with vehicle speed? If so, here's what I would do:

Have the tires rotated front to rear and rear to front. If the vibration disappears in the steering wheel, the imbalance is in one of the tires or wheels now on the rear end (a wheel could be bent).

If the vibration varies with engine speed, then it has nothing to do with the wheels or tires. There was a TSB that discussed a fuel line causing a vibration in the pedals and floorboard in the Lucerne. Make sure the dealer has performed the modifications in that TSB.

Keep the Michelins, check them for runout, get them rebalanced, and get a wheel alignment to take care of the pull.
    The vibration is everywhere, the steering wheel, the seats, front and back!, they have rotated and balanced, several times. I had the car aligned before I took it to them, now its way off, but I guess after they replaced both front axles, it should have been aligned anyway????? I thinkg they said they did a raod force test or something, I'm not sure what that is!
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Technical Service Bulletins for the BUICK LUCERNE 2006 - 072200 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE - DELIVERY - HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
    Make : BUICK Model : LUCERNE Year : 2006
    Service Bulletin Number: 4660
    Replacement Service Bulletin Number:
    NHTSA Campaign ID Number : 10023723
    Date of Bulletin: 12/01/2007 Date Added to Database: 01/29/2008
    Component: 072200 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
    Summary: VIBRATION FELT IN THE PEDALS, FLOOR, AND SEAT AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. *NJ
  • gsabensgsabens Member Posts: 10
    Working with my dealer it only took 6K miles to get Michelin tires in an attempt to stop vibrations. After the tire exchange the dealer couldn't find any vibration but I sure could. At 24K miles I finally diagnosed the problem myself and had an independant replace the left front axle ($220). The car now runs so well that I look for excuses to drive it. This problem had to have existed from the factory but the dealer (and GM) WOULD NOT admit that there could be a problem with one of their cars. The General needs to change his (it's) ways!!
    The General does address vibration problems. The store I bought my leSAbre at spend quite a bit of time driving the car with a vibration analyzer connected to the steering column, rebalancing with Road Force balancing the Michelins that came on the car, and doing a slight realignment which solved the slight tendency to give a vibration like a tire slightly out of round. This was in 03, but a blanket statement taht the General needs to change its ways doesn't apply. You may have needed to find a different store.

>the dealer and GM would not admit

If they changed tires to Michelins for you it sounded like they were admitting there was something that not perfect? Right?

I'd suggest going and enjoying your car now that the problem has been fixed.

• oldguy8oldguy8 Member Posts: 12
    I have owned my Lucerne for over a year and it has no vibration problems, has Michlan tires.
    The store I'm dealing with is the good one, the dealer I bought the car from would only say everything was within specs. I guess I forgot to say that the dealer changed my tires to Michelin only after I paid $50 each for the upgrade. GM's refusal to admit a flaw goes back to a thrustplate failure years ago which affected nearly 100% of the model I had at the time, but my Lucerne is the fourth Buick I've had since so either I'm blindly loyal or stupid,. I just wish they were a little easier to deal with. Maybe now with their recent trouble ........
    how did you diagnose the problem? I suspect I may have the same issue. If it is, I will try to point that out so the dealer can change it instead of me.
  • rgd3rgd3 Member Posts: 3
    The vibration can not be fixed with new tires. I've had 10 tires on my Lucerne and balanced at least 5 times in one year. Several dealers all will claim that the vibration is due to road noise, that the vibration doesn't exist or that it is normal. Even went to court in Pittsburgh on Lemon Law. Our case was strong with 1 years worth of documentation with dealers, local frame and axle dealer, and local reputable tire dealer. Court was a kangaroo court with Buick Dealer representative and judge winking at each other. Clunking in steering is also a problem. Attempt at repair was also a failure. I'm 57 years old and have owned several vehicles. This is by far the worst riding vehicle that I've ever owned including those old clunkers from when I was a kid.
    How'd you win the case? Our case in Pittsburgh was a Kangaroo Court with the Buick Dealer Representative and Judge winking at each other. We lost and decided to drop it on the advice of our attorney.

Clunking in steering is also a problem. Attempt at repair was also a failure. I'm 57 years old and have owned several vehicles. This is by far the worst riding vehicle that I've ever owned including those old clunkers from when I was a kid.

I do believe that the axles need to be replaced but can't convince anyone from Buick to do the work. BTY what will happen if this is not fixed? Is this dangerous?
    Realizing that the vibration seemed to be much more noticeable at 60-65 mph I jacked one front wheel clear of the driveway pavement, blocked both rear wheels, started the engine, shifted to drive and ran the speed to 30 mph (the other front wheel was on the concrete and not turning) so the elevated wheel was doing 60. The left front, with or without the tire and wheel, gave a real good vibration. Repeating all this with the right side produced no vibration at all. Had to be the left side shaft or joints. By now all the service writers would suddenly have something urgent to do when I showed up so I went to an independent who replaced the assembly for $220. My wife agrees that it was worth it since now her teeth don't chatter the whole time we're in the car. Careful with that jacking stuff!!
    I had the tire dealer jack the REAR tires off of the ground. They could not get the vibration out with weights. A local frame and axle company said that the inner CVC joints in the front axle were bad. I don't know what the problem is and can't get the dealer to work on the car. I can't afford to experiment.