Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grand Am Security Passlock Problems

Comments

• Options
    scm0300scm0300 Member Posts: 3
    Nope the security light is not lit, so does this mean that the passlock has been bypassed? I will check the fuel filter and the fuel pump, thankyou for the suggestion.
    One other thing that has come to mind. I have recently changed keys, So the current key I am using is not the key I did the 10 minute relearn after I did the bypass with the resistor method, could this be the issue?
    thankyou once again.
  • Options
    lovemygrandamlovemygrandam Member Posts: 330
    The "SECURITY" light being OFF means that your non-starting problem is not due to the security system. Also, on these model cars, the key does not make a difference... The Passlock II system uses passive keys, without any embedded resistors or electronics, and anyway, the bypass circuit takes the ignition lock cylinder out of the loop. More simply stated, No, using a different key will not cause problems after doing the bypass.
  • Options
    scm0300scm0300 Member Posts: 3
    Ok,
    I have replaced my fuel filter and had the fuel injectors cleaned out so now time will tell.
    One more question,
    today when i started the car i noticed when the lights on the dash light up the security light lights up with all the other ones. Does this mean anything? When the car was not starting the light never flashed on since the bypass.
    thanks,
    this has been very helpful I hope to be rid of this terrible inconvenience
  • Options
    marilyn55marilyn55 Member Posts: 1
    I really hope someone can help me. We have done the by pass and car ran great for a while. It is now actin up again. Car just turns over, or will start for seconds and then die but eventually starts. Now it is stalling while driving - it happened 3 times last night usually when turning a corner. I would hear a buzzing, then the power locks would go crazy and then it would stall. Last time it happened it wouldn't start. We towed it home. Haven't tried to see if will start this morning. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    scm0300,
    According to your owner's manual, when you first turn the key on, you get a "bulb check" for a couple of seconds to insure that all your bulbs are working. This happens whether or not you have done the bypass, and is normal.
  • Options
    Problems of this sort are usually associated with wiring problems or severe corrosion. You will need a shop manual to diagnose the problem, and someone with automotive electrical experience.
    I suspect there is a faulty ground splice pack that is affecting the Body Control Module. Try measuring the voltage between the battery negative terminal and the wire that goes to pin A10 of connector C3 of the Body Control Module. If there is voltage at that point, there is a problem... it should read very near zero volts.
    Check for corrosion on the pins of the three connectors that go to the Body Control Module. Make certain that all the connectors of the BCM are seated properly and locked in place by the tabs. If you did the modification at the BCM, there is always the possibility that you did not get the center connector properly seated, and this would account for the door locks going wild, since their controls are on the same connector as the SECURITY wiring.
    Good Luck.
    Dick B
  • Options
    xgrimreaperxxgrimreaperx Member Posts: 1
    Where to start, a few months ago i was trying to start my 2001 v-6 grand-am, after a few times of trying it started to smoke from behind the steering wheel after noticing this i stopped an waited a few mins to see if it was going to keep going. (It didn't continue) Since this little mishap the car will crank but not turn over, i'm using a 810 cracking amp battery so i know its not that. There are times when i can And can not hear the fuel pump kick on. I have read all over the web about the passlock, but the security light is neither flashing nor does it stay on. I have cleaned the muti-function switch an regressed it, it helped for a short time an so did the higher amp battery but i'm wondering, before i dump any more money in to this car, would the passlock have anything to do with the fuel pump or is it just faulty ?
  • Options
    Not a passlock problem, but your message doesn't make sense. You say it will crank, but not turn over. What does that mean. Does the starter motor spin the engine, or does it just try, but can't overcome the compression? Does the engine spin, but not fire up?

Only you can decide whether it is worthwhile to have the car fixed. If the body is in good shape with no visible rust, good tires, and good compression and smooth running (when it runs), and you have upscale accessories, then it is probably worth replacing whatever "smoked" in your steering column. Oh, and by the way, you normally sit behind the steering wheel. I'm assuming you meant that smoke came from the steering column, in front of the steering wheel.

Dick
  • Options
    kl4dkl4d Member Posts: 1
    Had a locksmith come out and do a bypass on the 96 Bonneville. Battery was dead from all the ten min and thirty min relearn tries. We took the battery out and had it charged. The car sound's like it is trying to engage, but it won't.
  • Options
    More info please....
    Is the security light still on? Solid or blinking?
    Do you have Fuel Pressure to your injectors?
    Does the engine ever fire, or does the starter motor just spin the engine, with no "kicks"?

Dick B
  • Options
    frustrated58frustrated58 Member Posts: 1
    I have been experiencing this same issue. It started about a month ago. At first it happened every few days. Fortunately it has only been happening every two weeks or so. I cannot believe that GM does not think there is an issue with this!! Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Hell they even anticipated it....ITS IN THE MANUAL!! After reading all the stories on here why would I even bother to take it to the dealer. I will never buy a GM vehicle ever again.
    This year alone I have spent more than $4000.00 on my car. Complete nightmare. Everything that goes on this car is always big!! Two days ago I tried to use my wiper fluid and nothing. Took it to a mechanic and was advised that they couldn't run a wire to another switch. The lever arm has to be replaced!! Cost of part $230.00 ---Labour 3hrs (cost $300). Another $500.00!!!! I give up!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Think your Grand Am is expensive to repair? Wait till you need a Toyota part.
    Key = $121.00
    Program the key = $48.00

Oh, and by the way, you can run a wire from your wiper fluid pump to another switch. But due to federal regulations, DEALERS MAY NOT MODIFY THE WIRING HARNESS OF A VEHICLE.

Your solution is to get a service manual, find the wire you need to splice into under the dash, and do your own re-wiring. Assuming you have a Grand Am, here are links to the Wiper/Washer Wiring Diagrams for a 2002 GrandAm...
    Grand Am Wiper-Washer-Diagram1
    Grand Am Wiper-Washer-Diagram2

The wiring for the Washer Fluid Pump is at the left side of Diagram #1

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    R.B.
  • Options
    slevoirslevoir Member Posts: 5
    I have read a lot of these forums and they have been very helpful, however.....2 years ago my car would not start and I had it towed. The place the car was towed to must have snipped the yellow wire (no cost). The car started every time with no problems even though the security light stayed on (I had no problem with that). I took my car to Advanced Auto for a major tune up only. I never told then to do anything with the security system, but they did and did not tell me until after the fact that the car would not start. They wanted to charge me an additional fee of $250.00 to try to get it started. No clue what they did, but after 2 days they got it running and I HAVE HAD SECURITY PASSLOCK ISSUES EVER SINCE. Took cat to another place and they replaced some module thing and repaired the remote start, and reconnected the yellow wire. At first they snipped the wire-car wouldnt start so they re-connected it. Ever since the issues with advanced auto, I have to do the re-set almost every day, sometimes 2 times a day. MY QUESTION IS---HOW LONG CAN I KEEP DOING THIS???? Please help.... and thank you
  • Options
    You have two alternatives.
    1. go to Bergerweb.net and perform one of the modifications listed on the menu there, or....
    2. Take Advanced Auto to court. Any repair facility known as "Advanced Auto" ought to know that if the security light is on solid, and the car starts, you cannot disconnect the battery. This is such a common problem that they should not have had any problems, but apparently they weren't smart enough to know that if the "security" light is on solid, disconnecting the battery will cause a "no-start" condition, and the only way to get it started again is to either perform the resistor bypass, reconnect the yellow wire and do the relearn procedure, or replace the Passlock Module and do the relearn procedure.
    Advanced Auto obviously knew that the car started OK when they drove it into their garage to do your complete tune-up. If it did not start after doing the tune-up, then obviously they did something to it that caused it not to start, and it is their responsibility to fix what they messed up. Take them to small claims court. At the very least, you should get back the money you paid them for the work they did not perform correctly. Here are your arguments.
    1. I drove the car to Advanced Auto to have it tuned up.
    2. They drove it into their shop to do the repairs. It was still running at that time.
    3. After they finished their tune-up, it did not run.
    4. Therefore, their tune-up caused it to quit running.

Dick B.
  • Options
    aafrickyaafricky Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I also have a 2001 Grand Am, and I work on mine like crazy. I had the exact same problem. Come to find out, it was the passlock system. It's an easy fix, no ripping the dash out, not going under the steering wheel. and no taking the radio out, or getting a new ignition. Go to this sight, and try the one under the glove compartment. I didn't use a solder gun with my fix, just good ol wrapping it tight, and electrical tape. Works find, no lights on dash. Good luck... http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm
  • Options
    twd22285twd22285 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2003 pontiac grand am. Has the passlock problem ever occurred without the security light coming on? Here is a little history: Had radiator, radiator hoses, heater hoses, and fuel pressure regulator replaced yesterday. Radiator had leak in it and hoses were way overdue for replacement. Fuel pressure regulator was leaking and causing really strong gas odor in cab of car. My mechanic called me and said it was ready to pick up and running great! went to go pick it up and it fired right up and ran like a track star all the way home. This morning my wife calls me and tells me that the car won't start..it will turn but not start. I cycled fuel to the rail by turning the key on and off, on and off..It seemed as tho i was getting fuel pressure (according to gauge hooked up to pressure relief valve on rail) I could get the rig started by spraying starting fluid in air intake, it would start and then want to die right away like fuel was being cut off, with throttle opened up it finally started and ran fine. I shut it off and went to the auto parts store and picked up another fuel pressure regulator valve thinking maybe the one i bought was defective (and come on! what are the odds of having something randomly go wrong with the fuel system right after it gets back from the mechanics? the only thing fuel related was the fuel pressure regulator) So i put the new one in and still no good. So i took that one out and put in the original one that leaked and still had trouble. So with the old leaky pressure regulator in i got it started with starter fluid and let it run for a while. Now it fires right up no problems...I'm pulling my damn hair out!!!! If any one can help me out here i would be so appreciative. I'm gonna let the car sit until morning and see if its temperature related.
  • Options
    must be temperature related. I just tried to start it and it turns but does not fire..
  • Options
    Yes, the passlock lockout can happen without turning on the "SECURITY" light coming on.... IF the light is burned out. When you cycle the ignition from off to on, does the SECURITY light come on during the 3 second lamp check? If so, the problem is not the passlock system.

Dick B
  • Options
    Dick, Thank you for your speedy reply. Yes the security light does come on during lamp check. I believe it is temp related. Any idea what it could be? Maybe a vacuum leak that is not operating the pressure reg properly allowing the fuel to bypass back to tank instead of building enough pressure to start??..I'm no mechanic as you can probably tell. After speaking with my mechanic it doesn't sound good. He said he ran into the same problem a couple years ago with the same make, model and year as mine. He never did find out what was wrong with it, and neither did the local gm dealership. Is it possible that with the invasive process of a radiator swap that a ground came lose or a vacuum line cracked? At this point i'm very frustrated. My wife and i just dropped over 600 dollars and we have a rig that won't start. If anyone has run across this or has any ideas your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Tony
  • Options
    I called a friend and who's pretty savvy mechanically to get his opinion and he thinks that fuel pressure is leaking by one of the o-rings on the fuel pressure regulator. It doesn't necessarily have to do with temp but more so that if you let it sit you are allowing enough time for the pressure on the rail to drop. I noticed the two o-rings on the fuel pressure regulator are very hard and a tight fit. Is it possible that these o-rings are rolling or not setting properly and allowing pressure to bleed off the rail?

Tony
  • Options
    car_surgeoncar_surgeon Member Posts: 12
    Did you confirm that there are no codes stored? How about using a noid light to confirm the injectors are working? If the problem is temp related, then the coolant temp sensor would be faulty. Reading the datastream should confirm this. In the absence of a scan tool, unplugging the coolant sensor wires from the correct temp sensor will allow the car to start using limp-home mode.
    Usually, if you can start it with a shot of carb cleaner in the throttle body, it would be in the electrical part of the fuel injection system. You say it has pressure at the fuel rail. How much? enough? Faulty passlock usually allows it to start, then die quickly.
  • Options
    Car surgeon, There are no codes stored. Service engine light never came on. I suppose it would probably be worth it to have someone with a scan tool to go thru it and pinpoint the exact problem (datastream you refer to? not terribly sharp when it comes to terms) Here is a log of what was done today: Put new fuel pressure regulator back in (i'm getting good at it) pressure to fuel rail when key is turned on is 59 lbs..Haynes book calls for 52-59. When i start the car with start fluid it runs fine at 52 lbs. So i've ruled out fuel delivery issues thru fuel rail. Next my mechanic and i went to the fuel injectors. Used noid light and we have current to injector until i turn ignition to on position and then when i turn the engine still nothing, turn key back off and noid light comes on. My mechanic said when i'm turning the engine the noid light should pulse and its not. I took a look at the coolant temp sensor and its really dirty and grimed up from the old fuel pressure regulator leaking all over it. I disconnected it but it didn't make a difference in starting. We also tested spark plugs and those were firing fine. So here is what i THINK i know: its not pass because security light has never come on and i know the light works. I know fuel injectors are not firing and i know this is not an issue if the engine is warm. I know the coolant temp sensor has seen better days. I've been told that it might be one of the computers but i don't know which one..I am also curious to see if a bad ignition switch would do this seeing as alot of the wiring runs thru that..but then i think back to the temperature thing and i don't really know :confuse: . I am to the point where i don't want to throw parts at it because i'm strapped right now. I would like to find someone that has seen this before or is pretty sure so i can get it right the first time.. I know, wishful thinking right? :P Oh one more thing, the change oil light is on my mechanic said the other pontiac he worked on that had this problem had that light on too..Is there any oil sensor that would cut off fuel injectors if oil pressure/level was low? I know this post is all over the place, my head is just spinning from this thing and i am trying to give as much info as i can. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you to those that have replied thus far.

Tony
  • Options
    just so everyone knows, it was a bad a/c compressor. the compressor and the injectors share the same fuse apparently and that fuse was blown. New a/c compressor and no more problems
  • Options
    acer04acer04 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a newbie to forums so apologize if I'm not following protocol.
    My 2004 Grand Am failed to start so I followed the 10 minute re-learn.
    It then started but the security light stayed lit. It has been this way for
    several months (starting fine with security light on). I performed the soldering
    version of bergerweb.net today hoping to make the security light go off.
    I attempted the 10 minute re-learn procedure twice. I attempted the 30
    minute re-learn procedure but the car started so I aborted the attempt.
    The car still starts fine but the security light remains lit. I didn't find anything
    that matches my exact scenario. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    When your "Security" light remains on solid (not flashing), it indicates that something is wrong with the anti-theft system, usually either an open or a short in the wiring or in the passlock module attached to the lock cylinder.

Do the following.
    1. Make certain that you did the bypass procedure correctly. If you did, then you should have connected a resistor of 1500 ohms to 3300 ohms between circuit #1835 (black wire) and circuit #1836 (yellow wire).
    2. Remove the kick panel from beneath the dash on the passenger side. It is held in place by two fasteners, one just below and to the left of the left corner of the glove box, and the other, a plastic push-fastener near the right upper corner of the panel. Once this panel is removed you will have access to the Body Control Module. Disconnect the center connector from the BCM, and measure the resistance between pins A6 and B6 of the wiring harness connector. The resistance should be approximately the same as the resistor you connected into the circuit. If it is not, there are three possible problems.
    A: you connected the resistor to the wrong ends of the wires or the wrong wires.
    B. There is a broken wire in your wiring harness. (the ohmmeter reads an open circuit)
    C. There is a short in your wiring. (the ohmmeter reads near zero ohms.)
    Below are wiring diagrams of the BCM and a diagram of connector C2 of the BCM. Right click on the pictures to get an enlarged view.

Passlock wiring diagram

Connector C2 wiring diagarm

Several things can happen when attempting to perform this modification.
    * one end of the resistor gets connected to the wrong black wire.
    * the resistor gets connected to the wrong ends of the black and yellow wires. It must be connected in such a way as to be connected to the BCM, not the ignition switch.
    * The chosen resistor is the wrong size. I always use a 2200 ohm resistor, whose color code is three red bands. Those without much electronic experience often use a 2.2 ohm resistor. (color code- red, red, black)
    * when doing the modification at the BCM, the technician reads the pins of the connector from the wrong end, causing them to choose pins B7 and A7 instead of A6 and B6.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Dick B
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    In post 1098, I forgot to mention that you should check to make sure the center connector on the BCM is properly seated in it's socket. When you did the modification, and did not get proper results, you would have had to disconnect it to check for corrosion on the pins.

Also, you stated that you did the solder method mod. There are two methods on my website that use the solder method. Which of the two? the one for the Pontiac (at the BCM) or the one for the Alero (through the radio cavity)?

Dick B
  • Options
    acer04acer04 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your very detailed response. My daughter is taking the car back to
    school so I will pursue this over Spring Break.

Tom
  • Options
    nucauditornucauditor Member Posts: 1
    I performed the Resistor bypass option for the Passlock feature. My security light went out, but now the car does not start until I almost drain my battery. The last 5 times I tried to start when the starter started to drag due to a low battery, I turned the key back off and then on the next atempt or two the starter would start to engage and then the car would start. The car was cranking just fine in the other attempts, (acting just like the passlock issue) but would not start any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    If you have done the Bypass, you have eliminated one of your possible problems. Hard starting can be caused by:
    1. Fouled plugs. Replace your spark plugs.
    2. Clogged fuel filter. Replace your fuel filter
    3. Incorrect timing. Make sure your timing chain has not broken
    4. Low fuel pressure.
    5. Low compression. (usually caused by not changing oil regularly)

Dick B.
  • Options
    janman90janman90 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 04 Pontiac grand am. The car will not crank. Battery is full and starter can be jumped. When I jump the starter, the car runs for 2 seconds and dies. The security light is on solid and will not go out after the 10 min wait period with the key in the acc position. Is this a passlock issue or an ignition issue. I don't want to replace the bcm only to find out that the ignition cylinder is the reason for the no crank. Fuel pump cycles and as stated above that car runs for 2 seconds each time I jump the starter solenoid. I have tried to put a resistor in to bypass the passlock. Do I need a new ignition cylinder? Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    mr_shade_treemr_shade_tree Member Posts: 1
    i know what your going through , me and my wife have been going through the same exact problem and spent about $1200.00 on parts starting from the fuel pump to the motor and every sensor there is and it will only star if i unhook the battery and let it sit for awhile or if i spray starter fluid into the jets and FINALLY found the problem and your not going to believe me when i tell you what it is..lol
    i did extensive research into it and found out that the problem is not even fuel related , it has to do with water temp , the radiator reserve has a temp sensor in the bottom of it that is a safety feature that will shut off the fuel flow to the motor when it gets hot and will not let it start , we replaced it and unhook the battery for 10 min and had to spray starter fluid into it 1 more time and now it starts every time , so if you can spary starter fluid into it and it starts you need to replace the reserve tank its about $40-$45 and only need a 10 mm socket to remove 1 screw and a pair of pliers to remove the lines....lol i hope this helps you and keeps you from going through all the same crap i did , cya later
  • Options
    What size resistor did you use to bypass the Passlock module? I always use a 2200 ohm resistor, but any value between 1500 and 4000 will work. In some cases you must do a 30 minute relearn procecure, which is also mentioned at....
    www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix.
    To read the value of a resistor, hold it so you can read the bands from left to right. The first band is the one nearest to one end of the resistor.
    The first band is the first number.
    The second band is the second number
    the third band is the number of zeros to add.
    The color codes are as follows:
    Black = 0
    Brown = 1
    Red = 2
    Orange = 3
    Yellow = 4
    Green = 5
    Blue = 6
    Violet = 7
    Grey = 8
    White = 9

So on a 2200 ohm resistor, the bands will be red - red - red
    On a 3000 ohm resistor, the bands will be orange - black - red.

A common mistake is to use a 2.2 ohm resistor (red - red- black) instead of a 2.2 K ohm.

Finally, If your security light is on solid, it's an indication that the BCM has detected a problem in the Passlock module while the car was running normally. If you have done the bypass correctly, you should be able to perform one of the reset procedures and get the "SECURITY" light to go out. It's not likely that your BCM is defective, but this problem does sound like the Passlock system is preventing the fuel pump from running.

The fact that you cannot get the starter motor to run without jumping it is another problem, unrelated to the Passlock. This could be caused by the ignition switch (not the ignition cylinder), or by bad wiring to the starter solenoid. According to the service manual, The Passlock II system does not prevent the starter motor from running.

A link to the GM Security Passlock Fix can be found at the top of each page of this thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for your response. I put a 2.2k ohm resistor in(3 red stripes). The car will not crank and the light is just solid and does not time out. I did put the resistor I the by the bcm using the terminal block with 1black wire going in from bcm and 1 yellow wire going back to bcm with the resistor in the middle. Still same as before. Light stays on and no crank. I will double check to make sure I wired it exactly the way it was demonstrated in previous posts. If I did it correctly the light on the dash should go out and I will not have to worry about the key being the problem, right? I love working on cars but this one has got me baffled. I am not ready to throw in the towel yet. I will replace both key and bcm if I have to. If I replace both componets will I have to take it to a dealer to have it reprogrammed or will the relearn process work. In reading your post again I also wanted to mention that the fuel pump does cycle and the car starts and runs for about 2 sec each time I jump the solenoid on the starter. Something is keeping it from running. Could that be the key? I leave it in the on postion and it runs for a little bit and dies. I keep jumping it and same effect each time.
  • Options
    If you keep having to jump it (starter motor won't spin the engine) each time, I would suspect there is something bad in the ignition switch, The Park/neutral switch, or the Clutch switch. I have electrical diagrams, if you need them (for a 2002 Grand am, but should be the same as yours).

The fact that it won't keep running for more than 2 seconds after squirting starter fluid seems to indicate that there is something wrong with the fuel supply... either fuel pump or fuel filter. I would certainly replace the fuel filter as a first step, before replacing fuel pump or BCM.

I'm baffled as to why the Security light is on solid and won't reset. Have you tried the 30 minute reset method?

Dick B
  • Options
    I have not tried the 30 min relearn. The light just comes on and stays on. The fuel pump and filter are only about 3 weeks old. The pump primes when I turn the keep to the on postion. I do not need to spray starting fluid into manifold to get it to run for the 2 seconds. I just leave the key in the run/on postion and crawl under the car and bypass the solenoid on the starter. It runs for a short time then dies. The real problem is that the engine will not crank using the key. It should crank even if the bcm or the passlock was bad, correct? If so I think the ignition switch might be my problem and not the key or bcm. What are you thoughts? Got no juice to the starter when I turn the key. I just wanted to make sure the passlock or the bcm would not disable the starter. How could I test to see if the switch is bad? Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    I'm posting an electrical diagram of the Starter Circuit. Right click on the diagram and choose "View image" to see the diagram full size. Also, here is something I just read in my service manual about the fuel pump.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
    When you turn ON the ignition switch, the Powertrain Control Module enables the fuel pump relay which powers the fuel pump ON. The fuel pump remains ON as long as the engine is cranking or running and the Powertrain Control Module receives ignition reference pulses. If there are no ignition reference pulses, the control module shuts the fuel pump OFF within 2 seconds after the ignition was switched to the ON position or if the engine stops.

Does that reference to 2 seconds sound familiar?

Here is the starter schematic:

Looking at the wiring to the starter motor, you could have a problem in one of four places:
    • 1. Ignition switch Batt 1 fuse.
    • 2. Ignition switch, or the connector to it.
    • 3. Gearshift Park/Neutral switch (or clutch pedal switch if stick shift)
    • 4. Starter solenoid (Not making contact between motor and battery when engaged.
    I think I would check the fuse first. Second, jumper between the small wire and the large wire on the solenoid to see if that will make starter motor run. If it does, then the problem is the P/N switch, ignition switch, or wiring.

About the "Security" light...
    Have you pulled the middle connector off of the BCM and read the resistance between pins A6 and B6 of the connector? Should read 2.2Kohm

Also, there seems to be some validity to the information in Post #1104. There is wiring that goes from the Coolant reservoir to the Body Control Module. It could be that the BCM checks that signal, and then as a safety precaution, sends a signal to the PCM telling it to shut off fuel when there is no coolant.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know how you made out.

Dick B.
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I saw post 1104 also and almost replied. I thought that the switch in the coolant reservoir only made the BCM command the "Low Coolant" light in the cluster to come on. I'm not aware of it having any other function.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dick, I put a test light to the fuse and it was good. I then put the light to the ignition switch(yellow wire) and turned key to the crank postion and light came on. I then put the light to the starter fuse under hood, had my daughter crank engine and the light, again, came on. Last I went down to the starter itself (purple wire) and could NOT get the light to come on when she cranked the engine. I don't know where the park/neutral switch is located, so I did not test. Just want to verify. The car should still crank even if the passlock system is in "security" mode. The passlock just disables the fuel pump. Right? If I have power at the ignition switch, then to the fuse panel but nothing after that it is either that park switch or bad wiring. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for all your advice/help.

Chris
  • Options
    Yes, I thought the same thing about the wire from the coolant reservoir to the BCM, but in light of their experience, there may be other safety functions built into the newer BCM's. My 2002 manual makes no mention of such a function.

I don't know where the park/neutral switch is located, so I did not test. Just want to verify. The car should still crank even if the passlock system is in "security" mode.

You are right, the car should crank. I think the Park/Neutral switch is located on the transmission. Here is the service manual page concerning removal and replacement of it, but before going that far, I would try wiggling the gearshift lever around and see if you can find a position where the starter operates. The PNP switch could just be loose, or mis-adjusted.

Here is the manual page.
    Park-Neutral Switch Service
  • Options
    Janman90,
    I just now noticed something in Post #1103 that I had overlooked before.

The security light is on solid and will not go out after the 10 min wait period with the key in the acc position.

The Passlock reset must be done with the ignition in the ON position. Here is the exact quote from the owner's manual:
    "After attempting to start the engine, if the SECURITY light flashes or stays on, wait ten minutes with the key in ON until the light goes off. Then turn the ignition to OFF before attempting to start the engine again."

Is that what you did?

Dick B.
  • Options
    whitneykcaseywhitneykcasey Member Posts: 1
    Brian i see you had the same problems i am having now with my pontiac, after all these years of posting your messages did u ever figure out what TRIGGERED the security light to come on?
    It Rained really bad here the other night and my windows wont roll up all the way it got very wet in my car and the water got into my door and made me TRUNK pop open then thats when the next day i saw that my car wouldnt start because of my security light?

ANY IDEAS? i founf your posts very helpfull
  • Options
    whitneykcasey,
    There are two things that trigger the blinking security light about 99% of the time:
    • The Passlock module malfunctions due to wear or dirtiness.
    • The 3 wire connector on the passlock module becomes intermittent.
    On rare occasions, such as when one has a leaky windshield seal, water somehow gets into the Body Control Module or the connectors to it, but In all these 1100 posts, I don't think anyone has found this to be the case, and nobody has yet reported a bad BCM or PCM, which are the only other modules involved with the Passlock system.
    Overall, with the exception of the poor connector on the Passlock Module in the ignition cylinder, this is a pretty bullet-proof system. That's why the simple solution of bypassing the Passlock module works in so many cases.
  • Options
    robertsapprobertsapp Member Posts: 1
    So how about this one. My son has had all the above problems, usually leaving him stranded all over town. We thought we fixed the problem by doing the resistor fix, and although the security light now remains on constantly, his car had been reliably starting until recently. Now a new symptom has cropped up. He get in, the interior lights work, the ignition chimes when he inserts the key, everything appears to be working fine. He turns the key, and the car goes totally, completely dead. Absolutely no electrical power to anything. Can't turn on the headlights, the interior lights are gone, no wipers, dash lights, car won't crank, everything electrical completely dead. Fairly new battery, and battery voltage is good, checked good voltage at the fuse box main power lead and at the individual major fuses, no blown fuses. The only way to reset this condition is to remove the negative battery cable, count to 30, and reconnect, and this only works sometimes. Any ideas what the heck might be going on?
  • Options
    This sounds like NOT a Passlock problem. Something in the ignition circuit is intermittent. My first suspicion is the Ignition switch. First thing I would do is go through the shop manual troubleshooting procedure for each symptom separately, but that, admittedly, is difficult if it is an intermittent problem. An alternative is to read the troubleshooting procedure, and see if you can find a single component that can cause all of the problems, or at least most of them.

The usual cause of loss of power when trying to crank is a bad or corroded connection at the battery, such that when the starter tries to kick in, the 80 or so amps drawn causes the poor connection to burn away. Usually, removing the terminals from the battery, cleaning them thoroughly with fine sandpaper, then with alcohol (both the battery terminals, and the contact points of the cables) and then reconnecting them works.

Less often, similar problems occur when some of the contact points in the ignition switch get burned, especially after many weeks of hard starting, where the ignition switch is turned off and on many times in the process of trying to start the vehicle.

At any rate, you will need a shop manual to troubleshoot this kind of problem.

Dick B
  • Options
    ravenfayeravenfaye Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My mom has a Pontiac Grand Am SE '99 and we had the same problem with the car acting "dead" but it's actually the cables that are the problem. They are corroded and need to be cleaned, this can be done with baking soda and water, I believe:)

When it happened to us, it was dark outside. Gotta love flashlights! Haha
  • Options
    elpinaelpina Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Ok, So last week I was excited about getting a new stereo in my car. I bought my Pontiac Grand Am SE1 V6 2005 used and just needed a car really bad. It worked great since last June. After getting my new stereo everything ran perfectly fine. Sunday night when I got ready to head by to school, my Key all of a sudden did not turn at all!
    I mean, it PHYSICALLY would not move past the OFF position. The chimes rang signaling the key was inside, but it just would not budge. I was devastated because I don't need this kind of problem. I'm a college kid, all I ask is for the tools I need to make it through life. Nothing fancy </3
    Well, no Security light was on at the time. My dad took me to school and kept the car to work on it.

Well, he took out the dash and replaced the ignition cylinder/switch. Not sure what he took out exactly but I imagine just the piece that you stick your key into (I was at school worrying about all the other things in my life). That afternoon he calls me to go get the car.
    I now have two keys (one for the doors and one to turn the car on).
    It is very odd! The car turns on! everything works fine! It runs! but the SECURITY light is on! It is beyond me how this is happening.
    I don't want this little light to be an impending sign of doom. But my dad turned off and turned on the car multiple times, and Since then, i have sucessfully driven my car around multiple times.

It would be nice to know what had initially happend, but at this point I am more concerned with making sure I don't get stuck out in the world ever again. I've read about CUTTING the YELLOW wire behind the Radio dash and just totally disabling the stupid system. It will caure the light to remain on forever, but the impression i get is that it will make sure my car keeps turning ON!
    I'm down with that.
    Help me beautiful people of the world! I'm just a poor kid that doesn't need to deal with this right now. I want to dump money into a car when I've bought it new and am able to afford car payments with a new job after graduating college, not right now!. Right now, I just want to get from point A to point B successfully for a few years. :'( while bumping my tunes.
    I temporarily feared that maybe something having to do with the Radio Install is the cause of all this from the beginning, but at this point (with the work my dad did) i just need to make sure the car keeps turning on and running.
  • Options
    lpshafferlpshaffer Member Posts: 3
    ever since my security light came on my dome light door locks fog lights and trunk release dont work i did the 10 min procedure car starts 2003 grand am 3.4
  • Options
    It would have helped if you had punctuated this sentence, but from what I read, your dome light, your door locks, your fog lights, and your trunk release don't work. ( I was trying to understand where your "door locks fog lights" would be located. ) OK, back to the point....
    It looks like you have a problem with your Body Control Module, which contains control circuitry for all of the items you are having problems with. You will find the three wiring diagrams for the Body control Module at the following links:

BCM Schematic 1
    BCM Schematic 2
    BCM Schematic 3

This should be all you need to troubleshoot all of your problems. The first thing I would do is remove all the connectors from the BCM, Clean them with alcohol, and then re-connect them. If that doesn't help, you probably need a new BCM. The BCM is located behind a kick panel right below your glove box.
  • Options
    elpinaelpina Member Posts: 3
    No help for me? =(
  • Options
    Elpina,
    Read the previous posts in this thread that tell you about resetting the "SECURITY" light. The procedure is also in your owner's manual. Basically, just follow the instructions. If your father installed a new Lock Cylinder, you will have to go through the reset procedure described in the service manual. Several of the posts in this thread contain links to instruction pages in the service manual. If you don't have a service manual, you can get online access to one through AllDataDIY.com. It's $27.00, and it's the complete service manual for your vehicle.... much cheaper than buying the printed version from GM ($150.00)