Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Security Passlock Problems

Comments

• alvindmalvindm Member Posts: 6
    The light was blinking when I was driving. At first I didn't understand the problem. My brother is a mechanic and he first thought was the lock out system.
    The light was blinking when it quit starting for me. I then read all the messages and tried removing BCM and cut the yellow wire and striped the black wire and added a 2.2k omg and solder the wire together. I waited 10 minutes and started the car. Now the car won't start again.
    Could I go into the radio and cut the yellow wire without reconnecting the yellow wire in the BCM or do I reconnect and then cut the yellow wire behind the radio?
  • lovemygrandamlovemygrandam Member Posts: 330
    edited January 2011
    Am I to understand that you soldered the black and yellow wires together? If so, that is not what is recommended anywhere on this forum. Go to the link at the beginning of this thread. [GM Security Passlock Fix] Read the article ENTIRELY, and try again. Nowhere does it mention connecting the black and yellow wires together.
    Again sorry, I soldered the 2.2 resistor to the the yellow and the striped black wire on the BCM. Then waited 10 minutes and started the car. Later the car again didn't start.
    Can I now go in behind the radio and cut the yellow wire without going back to the BCM and reconnecting the wires that I soldered together?
    Before you do the modification behind the radio, you must put the wiring back the way it was originally. Then, follow the instructions on my website for doing the mod on an Oldsmobile Alero. (the two cars are the same) The instructions are at:
    2003 Oldsmobile Alero Passlock Repair
    Thank You. I will try that and let you know how things work out. Again Thanks.
  • gkettermangketterman Member Posts: 1
    Thank You for helping me disable this Passlock. It has inconvienced me for the last time, I hope. I cut the yellow wire and the Security light stays on but the car started normally. It does not matter to me if the light stays on, just that I know the car will start and not leave me stranded is great!
  • pburdspburds Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a million to Mr. Berger for his tutorial on the passlock security fix. Everything went exactly as he said it would...and I'm assuming, at this point...that the problem has been solved. A tip for those who use this proceedure...the wires are so delicate that stripping them without cutting into the strands of copper is very difficult. Instead, I used the sodering iron to burn the insulation off the wire and it made the proceedure quite easy.

For those of you in the know...I am having an additional problem with my 2001 Grand Am as it has begun to stall while driving (seems to happen after the car has been driven for a while). After letting the car cool off for 30 minutes or so, it starts back up as if nothing wrong. In trouble-shooting this, I am planning (if I can figure out how to do it) to replace the crank shaft positioning sensor (got this idea from visiting other forums). Does this sound like a good starting point or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks (especially to Mr. Berger),
    PBURDS
    I would partially agree with nobullchitbids about the quality of the system, but I also haven't seen any better anti-theft systems on the market. While doing research on this problem, I visited several shops who install after-market theft-deterrent systems, and was surprised that while in their showroom, most of the customers were there trying to resolve problems, like alarms going off spontaneously, Remote start systems that did not work, and failures of remote systems to arm the theft systems. Also, most of the problems with the GM system can be remedied by reading and understanding the service manual. I personally feel that the GM service teams are to blame for not having enough knowledge to deserve the $90/hour that the shops charge for their service. It takes me 20 minutes to bypass the GM security system, using the information supplied in the manufacturer's service manual. Why can't a GM mechanic manage to do it just as quickly? This is simple electrical work, do-able by anyone who has taken a beginner's class in electronics.
    The pass lock system kinda worked. I now can start my car two to three times a day. I was wondering if changing the key ignition would help. I don't think it could hurt.
    If you bypassed the "SECURITY" system, and the key turns in the cylinder, and the starter engages and turns the engine over, there is no need to replace the ignition key or cylinder. Instead, check your fuel filter, your fuel pump, make sure you have spark. If all those are ok, then you need to find a good mechanic.
    Once you have made the passlock modification, the ignition switch is completely out of the passlock system. Did the 10 minute learn procedure work, and is your "SECURITY" light now off? If so, you have eliminated the passlock circuits, and now need to find another reason why your car doesn't like to start.
    Good luck.
  • bigdave65bigdave65 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I have a 1998 grand am. It starts runs a second or two and then dies. When I first turn the key on, the security light is on. When I start it, runs and dies, the lights blinks a few times and then goes solid again.
    I have tried the wait 10 minutes, and it worked the very first time. car ran for about a week, then did same thing. This time 10 min wait does nothing. Replaced the ing. switch, did the wait, and nothing same thing, light stays on solid after a few blinks. took out new ing and put old back in. did the resister trick. Still same thing. Replaced the computer, Did the wait, still same thing. Other than maybe a bad wire somewhere in the line, is there any other component in the passlock system on a 98 that I need to look at? Is instrument cluster a vital component?
    Thanks David
  • nobullchitbidsnobullchitbids Member Posts: 53
    Again, if the car is not running when you disconnect PassLock, you're wasting your time.

Put everything back to normal and try my method of cutting the wire and installing the toggle switch. BEFORE YOU CUT THE WIRE, START THE CAR. If it won't start or starts and dies, try jiggling the data wire while you turn the ignition. That can alter the resistance enough that the car starts. At least it worked for me, and once I cut the data wire and got the switch in, I never had another problem with the security system.
  • bigdave65bigdave65 Member Posts: 6
    I put everything back to normal. No matter what I do, car will not stay running. I jiggled everything I could find, no luck, Now what?
    Thanks
  • ron187ron187 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I'm not the greatest techno in the world and it took me a few hours, but this fix really works.
    Just follow this link and your problems are over.

http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

After doing all this, my car started so I'm thinking will never sit in my car for 10 minutes to wait for the security to re-set. It was quite easy to do, although there is not much space to work.
    I had to remove the glove box to have good access.

Good luck.

Ads thank you, thank you, thank you, for the person that posted this fix
    Thanks for the compliments, and I'm glad my tutorial helped you out. My website also has directions for doing this mod through the radio cavity.
    Dick Berger
    www.bergerweb.net
  • ozarkmechozarkmech Member Posts: 1
    I WOULD NOT HAVE BELIEVED IF I HAD NOT SEEN IT MY SELF , sure enough i put the key in nice and slow and walaaaa it started like it was brand new thanks for advise i am oilin it every day and for a week now no problems
  • candacemcandacem Member Posts: 3
    So I'm totally new to this thng...like I'm not sure if it's the security sytem to blame for my car not starting. I'm sure there's probably someone that's had similar problems but I didn't want to go thru all the post. I jus want to know how do I know if its the security system that I need to bypass to get my car started? It startd weeks ago...it just stalld out of nowwhere like I had to have it jump to start....after that it ran fine....the only light that was on to my knowledge was the service vehicle light...and that was for an og sensor....now it will attempt to crank but won't catch...every mechanic says it could be the fuel filter...so I had it done still don't crank...next they want to try the fuel pump....but I don't want to pay all that money to get it done if that isn't the problem...long story short....when I turn the ignition to "on" the service engine light stays on, the security light stays on (no it doesn't blink) the oil light is on....and the batt light is on...none of them blink or anythng....I do have gas in the car...but apparently its not getting where need b for it to start.....jus had a tune up done about 2months ago.....I've had the codes checkd but none are showing up....please help!!!
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    "It startd weeks ago...it just stalld out of nowwhere like I had to have it jump to start....after that it ran fine". It doesn't sound like the security system. You do have a Pontiac Grand Am or other N body car (Olds Alero), right? You don't say in your post, or the year model either.
    yes...that's why I posted here...its a 2000 pontiac grandam se ....2.4 twin cam engine....about 158,000 miles.....do you know what it could be? I checked the oil...so I don't know why the oil light is on....the batt is only 3months old so I'm not sure y that light is on....but I'm gonna take it and get it checkd....I've checkd the fuses....relays and had them replaced.....could it be the electrical system?
    If you meant that you turn the key to the "on" position, but the engine isn't running, then those lights being on is normal.
    The passlock won't shut the engine down while it's running, but will keep it from starting. If the security light isn't flashing when you try to start it then it's probably not passlock. If the security light comes on solid while driving it indicates a problem has been detected in the passlock system, which may or may not mean it will become a no start issue.
    With that many miles with your symptoms the first place I would look for a problem is the fuel delivery. Just because you can hear the pump running doesn't mean it's delivering fuel pressure to the injectors.
    It could be many things, but throwing money at it for "it could be" type diagnosis isn't a good idea.
    Right..I was makin sure that it wasn't some type of cheap fix..that someon would charge more than needed...I brought the car about 4years ago used and this is the first major problem I've had....I also noticed that nearly everythng is still the same from the factory...so all n all it was the fuel pump and they said the car shutoff because it faild while I was drivin...jus so happen I made it home...thanks for the insight though really appreciate it :)...I hav one final question...I went to autozone and had my alternator and starter checked and it said my starter faild...is it n my best interest to hav my starter replaced or should I jus wait until it goes out?.
    Does it start normally? If so, I would just keep using it, and replace if it fails later.
    As long as your starter motor is starting your engine, leave it alone. Drive it till the starter fails. Then push it and pop the clutch to get it started and drive it to the repair shop.
  • slithonslithon Member Posts: 1
    I'm a 03 grand am and it does not work...... for me that is.
    Did you also try the resistor bypass listed in the heading to this thread, and on the main page of my website?
    R Berger
    www.bergerweb.net
    The link you furnished is a good reference for many of the GM vehicles listed, however, it only pertains to vehicles that have a separate Anti-theft module. On these cars:
    1999 - 2004 Oldsmobile Alero
    1997 - 2003 Chevrolet Malibu
    1999 - 2004 Pontiac Grand Am
    The body control module contains the circuitry and brains for the anti-theft system, so the fix for the system is different. On the other hand, the Body Control Modules are seldom the culprit for Anti-Theft failures, so the resistor bypass will almost always work.
  • canihuhcanihuh Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT, I'm having the same problems with the SECURITY / PASSLOCK system as is everyone else here is mentioning. I called GM "they don't care" It's going to cost a small fortune to get the problems fixed. My local dealer, Wyatt Johnson in Clarksville, Tennessee wouldn't even hook up the computer to see what error codes were showing without a fee.
    Apparently you didn't read about the fix for this problem at the beginning of this thread.
    Go to Bergerweb.net and read about fixes for this problem on both Grand Am's and Aleros

Dick Berger
    I love my GrandAm GT RAM AIR V6 Coupe also, but I'm not going to cut wires and install switches and so fourth. I know what I have to do to fix my car!! I DID READ THE THREAD and tons more of information!! THANK YOU!!
    Sorry. I did not mean to offend. Most of us here on this forum are in the same boat as you. We have Grand Am's and Alero's which we love, but cannot get service for since they are no longer supported by GM. Sad to say, the only way we can keep them going is by finding mechanics who are willing to work on them, or by making modifications to bypass some of the systems which are failing with age, and are not necessary for proper operation of the vehicle. The modification I recommend on my website is a proven solution to the Passlock problem, researched by several GM engineers. It is only a suggestion to avoid paying $400+ to have the ignition lock replaced, and then have the same problem re-occur within a year.

I did fail in my previous post to explain that it would not have helped to have the diagnostic unit attached to your vehicle to read out the trouble codes. The Passlock system does not store any trouble codes that can be read out at the diagnostic connector. The standard price for a diagnostic readout is $40.00, according to the Pontiac Manual. Most Chevrolet dealers will do it for $25.oo. If you want a trouble code readout, you should be able to get the best deal from a Chevrolet dealer, but there are probably other mechanics around who will charge less. If you bring your car to my garage, i'll read out the codes for free, (Ok, I know that's not practical, since I live in Michigan, and who would want to drive up here in the cold.)
    Anyway, good luck, and I hope you find a good mechanic to keep your Grand Am running.
    Dick B.
    Grand Am problems found online, please feel free to take a look at these complaints. When will we get some results, Class Action Lawsuit maybe?

Sent To CAC@PONTIAC.COM

http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=636615 http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=631466 http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=626559 http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=625845 http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=621816 http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=619915

http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=626770 http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=625514 http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/viewthread.php?cid=619290

All these are different posts from Grand Am owners.

www.allworldauto.com/comments/2001_PONTIAC_GRAND_AM_comments_and_complaints_104-- 1473-2001-1.html

Please take some time to read some of these, visit the above website also. PLEASE.

Thank You,
    Terry McCullough

Clarksville, TN. 37042

owner of a Pontiac Grand Am GT (2001) having same problems and more!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Not sure if a class action lawsuit would benefit anyone. Keep on complaining, hire a personal lawyer if you need to, and get others to file complaints with NHTSA.

A class action lawsuit generally takes several years, by which time many will be rid of their vehicles. And, the resolutions are rarely of much benefit to the consumer and often benefit the company you're suing - example: if successful, each owner will get a few coupons for oil changes, or, say, a $500 off certificate for the purchase of a new GM vehicle. The latter is a likely outcome. I was recently in a "class" that sued Bank of America over unjustified fees and bill pay delays. I haven't had a BOA account for at least 5 years. So I get a letter regarding the resolution - if I sign the form, send it to my ex-spouse to sign, and send it in, I'll get a check for $5 (to split, of course). The lawyers undoubtedly got millions.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alicianicolealicianicole Member Posts: 2
    Well, I have this problem with my 01 grandam... :( It seems to always break on me, but anywho. I recently put a new radio and sound system in my car from a present from my fiancee... Maybe a month later the Security Red light came on... So we took it out and put in my factory brand radio... Now today I was searching through your forums, and I was curious if putting the new radio in my car could cause such a problem.. And if so will it happen when i put my new radio in again?? And is there anyway I can have my new radio in my car?? ( We are also trying the whole deal of cutting wires and saudering them) I just wanted to know if the radio i put in would cause the same problem. Your help would be MUCHHHHHHH appreciated!!! :sick:
    The radio is NOT Part of the passlock system. The problem is two fold.
    1. The passlock module fails slowly, and causes intermittent "passlock" lockouts.
    2. The connector at the ignition switch that handles the passlock signals becomes intermittent, causing the same type of lockouts.
    The dealer fix is to replace the module. Trouble is, they don't replace the connector, so their fix isn't permanent.
    Solution can be found here:Bergerweb.net

If you have already paid to have the ignition switch replaced. Print out the instructions, take them to the dealer, and say you want your f--- money back.

Unfortunately, there aren't any Pontiac dealers any more. Remember.... the company went bankrupt?????? So for those who think they are going to get a class action suit going...... FAT CHANCE
    Yes, there are lots of complaints. Unfortunately, there is nobody to complain to. The old GM, having declared bankruptcy, cannot be named in a class action suit, because.... well, they don't exist anymore. The new GM can't be named in a Pontiac or Oldsmobile class action suit, because the new GM doesn't produce Oldsmobiles or Pontiacs. I pity the poor folks who own newer GM cars who think they still have a factory warranty.

Anyway, Edmunds is a great place to find solutions. I'm glad we still have them!

Dick Berger
    Bergerweb.net
    Factor in that getting a group of people (the "class action" group) to agree on anything is nearly a lost cause (the larger the group, the worse it gets) and you see why most class action suits go nowhere or only produce results for the law firm that brings them on. The actual people in the "class" usually get very little, if anything.
  • alicianicolealicianicole Member Posts: 2
    Thank you! You have no idea how long I was arguing with my father about this, and then my fiancee began on me and I really started to think that I couldnt have my awesome radio in my car.. You are such a life saver!!! Im totally coming to you for all my grandams problems, your awesome!!!!Thank you thank you thank you :shades:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    If any of you with expertise want to jump over to this discussion on the Cavalier:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f11dbe0/35
    and see if the symptoms sound familiar, that'd be great. I don't have enough mechanical expertise to know if the problem is similar or not!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• aviellesmomaviellesmom Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Grand Am that for the most part has been a great car. It does have weird electrical issues but the biggest one (and the one currently rendering the car inoperable) is the Passlock problem. The car started having this problem in January and once we figured out the fix, it was working well enough. I've had to do the override prob 3 time since. The latest time was yesterday but the override doesn't seem to be working. The battery somehow got completely worn down (I had just bought it in Jan when this issue first reared it's ugly head, originally thinking that was the problem) so I got a new battery yesterday and the car still won't start. So here are my main questions:

Is there a limit to how many times you can do the override before it stops working?

What's the likelihood that the alternator or starter instead of a problem with the Passlock system?

If I do the re-wiring that is linked to at the top of this forum, is that a permanent fix to the Passlock problem or just the light on the dash?

Thanks for any help I can get!! I'm not quite ready to give up on this car completely and I don't want to spend a ton of money at a mechanic that might not give me a true fix.
    There is no limit to the number of times you can do the 10 minute relearn process for the Passlock system, however, if you have had to do it several times, that's a good indication that a complete failure of the security sensor in the ignition lock mechanism is eminent. Doing the 10 minute reset can also have a detrimental effect on your battery if it isn't fairly new, since the headlights are always on while you have the ignition in the ON position.

The re-wiring that is linked to at the top of this forum bypasses the passlock module in the ignition lock cylinder, and therefore is a proven cure for the problem. You may also want to look at the same fix, performed by removing the radio. described on my website at:
    Bergerweb.net/AleroSecurity. The instructions are written for an Alero, but the procedure is the same on a Grand Am.

If the "security" light is on or flashing, then the problem is with the Passlock system, not the alternator or starter.
  • lchensleylchensley Member Posts: 1
    With the Check Engine Light i had the same problem for a year, i finally figured out that it was the air filter! Replaced it and reset it and it works fine..Now my car just won't start however i dont believe its for the same reason it just dont seem to be getting any gas, i considered all of these stories but my Security Light doesn't flash? sooooo yea im thinking fuel pump? it'll crank but just won't start
    Ok, so we tried to do the rewiring fix that you previously posted about but we did the one that you had posted elsewhere about doing it to the wires that connect with the BCM, not the wires behind the radio. We followed all the steps but it does not seem to have worked. After re-wiring the system, we did the relearn technique and gave it a full 15 min but the Security light never turned off. Also, when I try to restart the car, it sounds like it's trying to turn over but just never catches. The only light illuminated while I'm trying to start the car is the check engine light. However, the security light is on at all other times. I checked the BCM itself, and it doesn't seem to have any waterlogging issues, and I checked the connectors and they don't appear to be corroded. Not sure what to do next. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    aviellesmom,
    I apologize for your frustration. I would recommend taking the vehicle into the dealer to have it at least diagnoised. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • malbolsmalbols Member Posts: 19
    aviellesmom , under no circumstances would i be taking this vehicle to the dealer . If you have read the many pages and hundreds of comments here you'd know that the dealer simply does not know how to fix this problem . Of course they will throw every part at it imaginable but usually to no avail . Unless you're filthy rich don't do it .
    Wait for lovemygrandam to chime back in , he will not steer you wrong .
    It just so happens that the resistor fix did not work for my 2002 Grand Am either . I put everything back where it should be and did the yellow wire cut and toggle fix. I had no problems after that . Anyway , hopefully you can wait a little longer to see if lovemygrandam has any other options for you . Good Luck
    yeah, i'm not too keen on the idea of taking the car to a dealer. don't really have the money for an expensive fix that probably won't work or last. i'd like to do the fix where i can just cut the wire and install the switch but i can't even get the car to start, so i think i'm kind of out of luck there. thanks for the support, though! this forum has at least given me hope.
    The only thing I can add at this time is to advise to re-check your wiring very carefully. If your security light is still flashing, the relearn process may need to be done several times. If it is on solid, there is probably a short or an open in your circuit.
    Check the value of your resistor. I recommend a 2200 ohm or 2700 ohm resistor. the color code for a 2200 ohm resistor is Red, Red, Red. For a 2700 ohm, it's Red, Violet, Red.
    Make certain, using an ohmmeter, that your work is connected to pins A6 and B6 of the center connector of the BCM. Also, I found out some months ago that the black wire can also be cut, rather than spliced into. If you cut it, leave the end that goes to the ignition switch disconnected, and connect your resistor between pins A6 and B6 of the BCM connector.
    Several people who have read my instructions have mistakenly used a 2.2 ohm resistor, rather than a 2.2Kohm. (2200 ohms). They have suffered the same symptoms as you describe.
    If all the above fails, and reading over the instructions does not reveal some mistake, I would suspect that you may need to replace the BCM on your vehicle. Try to get a used one from a salvage yard... they seldom go bad.
    Good luck.

Dick Berger
    Christina,
    Thank you for joining this discussion. We're wondering if there are any service bulletins that can help the mechanic diagnose Passlock issues. We know that the weak links are the passlock module in the ignition switch, and the connector that handles the three wires to the passlock module. Are there any diagnostic tests that can be run through the ALDL to determine if there is a fault in the BCM? If so, It would greatly help if the GM dealers were aware of those tests.
    Thanks again,
    Dick Berger
  • tv2tv2 Member Posts: 3
    2004 Grand Am was having what I thought was a passlock security issue - went through the yellow wire cutting procedure but the issue continues. Security light is on all the time (since wire cut, as expected). The car will start after 5-10 trys, and then will usually restart shortly after that, but once it has been off for an hour or longer, requires the 5-10 trys again. Any thoughts?
    The troubleshooting procedure in the Factory Service Manual points to a fuel leak, faulty injector, or fuel pump. The symptoms seem to indicate that you are not getting enough fuel pressure until the fuel pump has been running for some time. Try turning the key to on and leaving it there for a minute or two, then see if it will start on the first or second try.
    If you have many miles on the engine, you may have low compression, which can also cause hard starting. The symptoms you have do not indicate a Passlock problem any more.
    How many miles, and what size engine? Standard transmission?
    Dick Berger
    http://www.bergerweb.net