Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Go with Yokohama. Forget Michelin.
    They're quieter, cheaper, better handling.
  • motokichimotokichi Member Posts: 48
    garypen,
    Any particular model? What's on your car?
  • On the CL, I have the Michelin MXV4's that came with it. It's only got 8500 miles on it. They're not so awful that I can't wait to replace 'em.
    On my Impala, I immediately chucked the Goodyears that came with it for some Yokohama AVS dB's. They're Z-rated Ultra Performace tires that are also ultra quiet, which is usually a contradiction. However, the tread life ain't too high, maybe 24-36K miles, if you're lucky. Yokohama has some nice Super Touring tires called Avids, that are even cheaper and get around double the tread life.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Your CL doesn't come with Michelin Pilots?
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    The Type S has Pilots. I think the Premium uses different tires.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    yeah.. the Premium uses the Plus version
  • I prefer the term "Base" as opposed to premium. You can't have a premium without a lesser level before it. It's like McDonald's not offering a small soft drink. The smallest they have is a medium. That is contrary to the very definition of the word "medium", as is calling the entry level model "premium".
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    gary - that's the official naming in the manual... as for the base of the CL.. I posted previously as the Accord couple :D
  • vonlinzvonlinz Member Posts: 12
    I agree with Gary. I can't bring myself to call the base CL the "Premium" despite what Acura calls it. I've opted to call the base model the CL 225 and the Type S the CL 260 (although Type S sure sounds better than Premium).
  • I just call it a CL or a Base CL. I have no bruised ego over it. Shoot. It is the base model. They could call it the "Super Happy Lucky Number One Best For Your Living Of Life" model. It'd still be the base model.
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    From a marketing standpoint it makes sense to call it premium. What does the term "base" bring to mind? A stripped car with a gutless engine, cheap cloth seats, no AC, AM radio, etc. The premium is pretty loaded. With the CL and TL, the two models are loaded & loaded+.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Honda and Mazda used to call a bunch of their basic models DX or Deluxe. Some of those were real strippers -- nothing deluxe about them.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    with CL or CL-S?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • motokichimotokichi Member Posts: 48
    the first time i heard our acura salesman call the standard model 'the Premium'.

Those of you on 'Premiums' with 16s, does it seem quieter than a Type-S?
  • vineee1vineee1 Member Posts: 16
    a while back there was a post about yokohama(spelling??) tires that would work on a type s. what was the price compared to the factory tires and were they the exact same size??

thanks,vinny
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    www.tirerack.com
  • bigskybillbigskybill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Acura CL and want to replace the OEM tires. What does everyone recommend using their experience in a performance type tire for the CL?
  • tjbee1tjbee1 Member Posts: 2
    have owned my 99 3.0 CL 15 months. got it with 10000mi. great car for performance and handiling in dry weather. have traction difficulty in rain/snow, car has a hydroplane/drifting feel. went to snow tires for snow; helped in rain not in snow. put orig michlins back for spring and summer. same problem in rain now, tho did have car aligned and tires rotated. live and drive in northern ill. fortunately, problem is not frequent. car now has 23000mi. dealer and acura say there is no history of this type complaint with this car. this discussion group is very active and knowlegeable. any info is welcome. ps. i only drive at 40-45mph in rain.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    tjbee1-

I wouldn't quite call this group "active"! ;-)) Every so often it rises from the dead when I post that my 2001 CL-S is the best car I have ever owned! Then, I get "blasted" because I also forget to say that I have about 18 coats of Zaino on it too! http://www.zainobros.com

My car is 15 months old. 15,500+ miles and not ONE problem! Overdue now for oil/filter change and another tire rotation/balance. Compared to the 99 "Motor Trend Car of the Year" (Chrysler 300M) that I owned before this car, I feel like I died and went to Acura heaven! LOL....

Not much snow here this winter in So. CT- 4 inches- but the car was fine. No problems in rain either. Plenty of that lately. Grips the road like a mountain lion!

For an ACTIVE CL group- go here http://www.acura-cl.com VERY active and very helpful.

fastdriver
  • drscoopdrscoop Member Posts: 3
    I know it is a bit early (even here in Denver) but since the 2003 CL-S 6 Sp just came out this spring, there likely is no "driving in the snow and slush" experience yet. My concern is the OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's that are the tires that come standard with the car. Does anyone with a CL-S auto have any experience in similar winter weather situations? The tirerack website has a few acura owners really complaining of very poor performance in snow, slush, and ice conditions. I'm thinking of going with Blizzak WS-50's all around. If any of you have had the chance to drive a new 6 Sp, you alrady know that you can easily chirp the tires in the 1st 3 gears. You can see my concerns as we get closer to nasty winter weather. Any comments??
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    The Blizzks will no doubt be better than the Michelins in snow. I only have the stock Michelin but I haven't driven in really nasty conditions, especially involving ice. In light or moderate snowy conditions it seem to perform OK as long as you exercise common sense.
  • rick27513rick27513 Member Posts: 29
    I'm at 30k on the original Michelin MXM4s, ready for a new set on my '01 Type-S. What is your experience with replacement tires OTHER than the originals? Of course I want it all... quiet smooth ride, good handling, wet and light snow traction, reasonably good tire life. The stock Michelins really don't impress me, especially after 10k miles. Apparently, they're not impressing many other people, just see the survey results on Tirerack! So what tire brings out the best in these great cars?? Besides the obvious handling qualities, tell me how you rate the noise & comfort of the tire. Thanks!
  • prefabprefab Member Posts: 7
    how much has it cost to replace all 4 tires on a 2001 cl premium (not type s) for those of you
    who have had to do it? thanks.
    Hi folks,
    Has anyone replaced their 17" CL-S tires with a 225-50, instead of a 215-50? I'm interested in the Pilot Sport-AS, but it doesn't come in 215 size.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You would end up with a taller tire than the stock which would affect your speedometer/odometer. Also, I wonder if a wider tire would adversely affect steering feel. I've always thought the CL-S already has a somewhat "loose" steering feel in city-speed situations.
    Bodble2, good point about the speedo... hadn't considered that.
    The 225's are .3 inches wider at the tread, and .3 taller from the axle. But optimum rim width matches the 7" rims on the type-s, so I'm guessing that handling should remain as good as the tire. I'm going to try them... if clearance is a problem, I'll go back to the originals.
  • alarmproalarmpro Member Posts: 27
    I read your message about the noises from under the car. I have not had those noises with my CL-S, but the sounds you describe are usually from the heat shields around the exhaust and catalyc converter as they heat and cool. I also have a 1985 Nissan 300ZX that sounds like popcorn popping after I run the car then shut it off. Nothing to be worried about.

I too am looking to soon replace my tires and was told by several people to maintain the correct sizes. I have found a tire that seems to get outstanding reviews, and costs 1/2 the price of the stock tires. They are Sumitomo tires at the tire rack. www.tirerack.com Please check it out and give us your opinion. Thanks, Lee in Miami FLA.
    Has anyone noticed a slight pulsing feel to the brake pedal? It just started and I guess it is due to the pad wear. I plan on replacing the pads and turning the rotors (if necessary) at Acura. They quoted me $202.00 for complete brake job (pads, cleaning & rotor turning). I then plan on purchasing the Sumitomo tires from tirerack.com. Any thoughts??? Lee in Miami
    01 CL-S 39,902miles.
    Lee, I have an 01 type-S, just had the brake rotors turned for the pulsing at 37k miles.. It's not the pads, it's warp in the rotors. New pads alone will not fix the vibration.
    According to several Acura dealers (service dept's) they know this is a problem on this model. Acura's position is, they will cover the brake job under warranty if you have less than 50% wear on the pads. I had 60% wear, but with enough squalking, I got them to concess the job entirely for customer satisfaction. You should be able to do the same.

Would love to hear your opinion of the Sumitomos. I got a good deal on the Michelin Pilot Sport-AS... but still expensive. The 225-50-17 fits great in that tire. Not true for all 225's.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    rick27533. I am also interested in the michelin pilot sport all seasons. Any problems at all using that size instead of the stock 215s?
    Rick: Thanks for the info on the rotors, I will follow through on the warrantee issue. I will buy the tires within the next 90 days or so. I turn 40,000 miles this weekend and the original Michelins are still good for another 5 to 7k, per my local tire co...(amazing!!)

Be very careful when installing oversize tires, even by one size, the speedo, cruise and all speed/mileage related items are calibrated to this exact diameter tire. Changing or altering this deminsion will cause the readouts to all go out of calibration.

Do you use Synthetic Oil?? It is the best thing I ever did, Lee in Miami look at www.amsoil.com
    I am aware that there will be about 3% difference.
    I went to Costco yesterday and the sales rep and I had a discussion about tire sizes. He suggested to use the correct size or a 225Z45x17 tire. That size will maintain the proper ratio and aspect and will not change the overall diameter of the tire.
    The 225x45x17 will probably not have a load factor of 93 or better as stipulated by Acura. I do not believe that would be a wise choice. I personally welcome the 3% change in diameter. I would like to have slightly taller gearing (and slightly better gas mileage). Also my speedometer will probably be more correct since generally they read fast when delivered from the factory.
    I have no complaints about the Pilot Sport AS tires (225 size). They fit the rim and car very well, and I honestly can't tell the difference on the speedo. I know they are slightly taller, so technically there must be a slight impact. I checked out the TireRack.com specs on a 225-45 size tire; it was considerably shorter in overall height than the 225. I didn't want a shorter tire, due to fuel efficiency and ride comfort.

There is a definite improvement in wet traction... the original tires would spin and hydroplane easily after approx 50% wear. And FORGET any snow traction with the originals. I didn't get them in time to test snow traction, but written reports are good. These tires do have a different feel to them... and an almost "oversensitive" reaction to minute movements of the steering wheel. (maybe I was just used to crappy tires?) I haven't really pushed them hard in any corners yet, but have started to on highway ramps and the few curvy roads I drive... I'm still learning their feel, but am definitely impressed so far. Road noise is different, but good on most surfaces. Ride comfort is fair... new tread obviously better than worn tires. You can't expect too much ride improvement on a W-rated tire.
  • mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    I know that the stock tires aren't anything special (when does Honda *ever* spec anything that isn't a huge compromise? - aside from the S2000's tires, that is), but I can't believe that they are the main cause of the vague steering problem at only 15,000 miles. Heck, mine still look brand new!

The CL-S is very competent in almost all respects, and my only other complaints are the grabby clutch and the hopelessly bland styling.

Also... if you were referring to my Civic Si comments (did I even mention that here?), you should try driving one. It may be a homely little hatchback, but it handled pretty darn well.
    Over the last few months I have been planning on replacing the Michelins since I was approaching 40k, (now 43,200). I searched the web and at the Tire Rack I came across Sumitomo brand tires. I was surprised by the glowing reviews they received. Furthermore the cost of these tires was $89 ea in 215x50/17. I couldn't understand why they cost about 1/2 of any of the other comparable tires in the lot. I continued to check them out, all results were generally excellent to outstanding, by other Acura CL,CLS & TL owners. I decided to order them, I was surprised again when I found them now costing only $74 each. I ordered 4 and they arrived on time and they were installed today.
    First they look really agressive. The tread pattern is gigantic compared to the MX4. The ride is VERY smooth, but you can still maintain feel of the road. At 100 mph, smooth with a firm road grip. Cornering was agressive but again firm. I was truly leery of tires for so much less than all the other brands. However I am convinced that quality can be had for a reasonable price. The tires are the Sumitomo HTR+. Warrantees apply too. Check them out at www.tirerack.com, Lee in Miami
  • rmd12345rmd12345 Member Posts: 3
    Alarmpro, I already bought the same Sumitomo tires for my CLS and unfortunately had a bad experience with them. I had them for about 2-3 weeks and then felt vibration so I took the car back for wheel balancing to no avail. After 4 attempts to balance them, the dealer finally said they were out of round and nothing would fix them.
    Now after many months of vibration they seem to be rolling alot smoother, but not perfect.
    In the meantime I did contact Tire Rack to complain and finally received 2 new tires for the front. I have to get them mounted and return the originals to be pro-rated. Now they're half worn so I won't be getting much of a refund.
    The owner of the service center who originally mounted them said he's seen nothing but trouble with these tires and did not recommend buying them again. I sure won't. Maybe it was my bad luck.
    I just read your comments about these tires, I am quite surprised by your situation. I have been quite suprised with the worderful feeling I get with these new tires! The grip like crazy and are really smooth on the hiway! I watch carefully when the tires were mounted then spun balanced. I made the guy rebalance 2 tires when he seemed to have a problem with the balancing. Since I used to work at a tire company, I was trained on how to balance tires. The installer was offsetting the weights (stick-on) causing additional weights. When I made him redo the tires and I spotted the weight placement, the balance was perfect the first time.

I carefully read all the reviews and I dedcided that these were good tires and a great value too. I'm sorry to hear you had problems. You may also want to check the rim runout too. An out of round rim can foul up almost any balance job.
    Good Luck, Lee in Miami
  • alkanxalkanx Member Posts: 69
    Hi guys
    I live in Texas Fort Worth area, took my CLS to this place called Sam&Joes for wheel/tires rotation, they overtorqued them & even damaged one of the tires around the side wall, I also felt shimmy afterwards. Just a caution note, if anyone of you are living in Fort Worth/Dallas, stay away from them....

All the best,
    AL.
    Hi all, anyone used one size larger than stock: 225/50/17 in place of 215/50/17 on stock wheels....
    I did buy a one-size larger tire. I switched to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires (225 size). They weren't much different in price than the originals, and I wanted a change. I was very disappointed in the ride and traction of the originals after only 20k miles. These fit the rim and car wonderfully... no rim-width, clearance, or height issues.

I placed a message here when I bought the tires (see msg# 1546). I've driven them 9k miles since and remain impressed. They corner very well, and I feel a WORLD of difference on wet roads, compared to originals. Also, I still notice the more-sensitive steering response of these tires. One slight negative to consider - you will still have a firm ride... so if you are looking for a "softer" tire for pure comfort don't go with a W rated tire. I'm anxious to see if I like them this much after another 20k miles!
  • steveb30steveb30 Member Posts: 4
    I'm currently driving an '01 CL-S with about 30,000 miles. The original tires have already gone to crap, and they were never that good to begin with. What would you recommend me replacing them with? Another set of Michelins? Something that will last more than 24 months? Something that actually gets a little bit of traction in the rain and snow maybe? I need to replace them before winter in case Jersey gets socked again like it did last year. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Bridgestone Turanza.. LS-V if V speed rating required.. LS-H if not. Put these on my '92 Acura Legend after glowing reviews on Tirerack.com. They have met every expectation.. Only about 4K miles so far, but seem to be wearing fine, handle great, wet weather traction is good and priced $50/tire less than Michelin.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• smiledrsmiledr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 CL Type S with 59,000 miles and I absolutely love it. The wet traction on the original Michelins was awful. I replaced them with Yokohama AVS ES100's and the traction is much improved during heavy rain. As we get very little snow here in Florida, I have no opinion on the snow traction.
    How about Continental tires, "ContiSportContact" or "ContiTouringContact" for CLS...any opinions...
  • jrentjrent Member Posts: 15
    Need some help and suggestions on replacement tires for 2001 CL/S original Michelins looking poor at 32K. Any experience with Dunlop 5000s (4@ $603) or Toyo TPTs (4@ $707) or Cooper ($110 each?) tire size is 215/50R17
  • daqmandaqman Member Posts: 27
    tirerack.com

I've heard good things about Kumos
    I can't speak for an 02, since mine is an 01-type S. But I can tell you my opinion is that the Type-S Auto is NOT a good choice for snow.

1st, the factory tires are CRAP in snow (and rain after 50% wear). I say that based on first-hand experience, but you will see the same if you check comparisons on tirerack.com or other tire sites.

2nd, the engine torque and throttle response, just as you go off-idle, gives way to immediate spin. The CL (not type-S) might be a little better.

3rd, there is no way to pull away from a stop in 2nd gear. The tranny will start off in that torquey 1st gear regardless of where you put the shifter. Some cars start in 2nd gear when you put the shifter in 2nd, or have a "snow" button (toyota) which disables tranny from using 1st gear. On the 6-speed you obviously won't have this issue.

I've been using the Michelin Sport AS tires for about a year now, and love them. We've had a few snows this year (2-4 inches) and they were FAR better than the originals. Same for wet driving. However, even with the great tires, my sons' old 4cyl Camry & Accord are much better.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    rick27513-

WOW! I have a 2001 CL-S auto with the original tires and 30,000(almost) miles and we had a TON of snow in CT this winter and I had NO problem whatsoever. I'm not too sure what the yearly snowfall is in Raleigh, but if 2-4 is all you got, maybe you're just not used to driving in snow. Then again, is Raleigh the town that got hit by a "blizzard"?

I just kept mine in D and never got stuck once. Funny how different people can have extremely different situations with the same car. Then again, when I had my Motor Trend "Car of the Year 99 Chrysler 300M", I had a ton of problems while others with the same car had none. Go figure.

fastdriver
This discussion has been closed.