Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Brake Problems

124»

Comments

• teresa30teresa30 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for replying! I apologize, but im not good with car terms at all! haha I did have my my brakes bled when this first starting happening. Is that they same thing as having my brake fluid replaced as you suggested? The dealership i got the car from has had my car all week... taking it everyone to see if it will cause them the same problems and no luck yet. I will call them in the morning and mention the anti lock system and see what they say. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Brake bleeding could be complete fluid replacement, if done by dealer they have the Tech 2 to do the ABS module.
  • little_countrylittle_country Member Posts: 1
    I own a 06, G6, bought it new got a smashing deal so figured why not. Replace intermediate steering link @ 50,000 miles due to this annoying clunking u all are hearing when turning. Replaced brake pads and rotors turned for the first time @ 85,000 miles aaannnndddd, had front brake issues ever since. I think if you put ceramics on then definately have to go with heavy duty rotors or crossdrilled rotors which you might as well for the cost of heavy duty rotors. Also, all brake pads are not created equal as well as rotors. When cars are manufactured where ever that may be all parts are not manufactured in the same location, hence outsourcing. So think about it like this, your care and most of it's products where made by the lowest bidder, where ever that may be. First off I haven't given a lick about pontiac and them willing to stand behind a car they build ever since the intermediate steering link had to be replaced. That was such an obvious engineering flaw it's rediculous, you might as well not even spend the money for the warranty. The brakes I am yet to figure that one out but, if i find something that works, I'll let u all know, leaning towards ebc rotors with the green pads after doing the research and I am going to bleed the sh&% out of my brakes when I put them on. As for comparing one carto another with the same problem, no disrespect but don't think you can. However I do own a Dodge Ram 2500 and they stand behind there product, no problems and warrenty is bumper to bumper including electrical malfunctions and electronics for 8 years 85,000 miles, now that's not a bad warranty. And noting that they let you set up your warranty however you want it within certain parameters shows that they know there product is quality and they want it to continue to be quality. Warranty work done twice for recalls, OMG did you hear what I just said RECALLS. I don't think the later knows what that word is or means. Sorry I'm just pissed in a world of technology that we live in brake issues should be a thing of the past besides normal wear and tear. Just trying to make a buck I guess, just like big oil, does, LOL!!!
    Wow 2010, old history. I never had a truck with bad brakes, why because they are heavy duty do to GVW requirements.

34300 miles now on my 09 G6, last brake check 29 K , good.
    Recalls are for safety items. Now customer satisfaction is another story, GM is not very good at that.
    34355 miles brake pads still excellent.
  • keiddokeiddo Member Posts: 1
    hi teresa30,

i was wondering if the problem with your g6 braking was figured out because i am having the exact same problem and i dont know were to look.if the problem was found could you please e-mail me and let me know what it was.

thank you
    keiddo
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    What year is your Pontiac, keiddo? Have you had this problem checked into already? Let us know if we can be of assistance.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • holzerholzer Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    All,

My daughter has had issues with the brakes every year. Last year we completely replaced the rear brakes and just last month we did the same with the front brakes at Firestone. We were planning a trip so everything was done with new parts. Last week her brakes locked up and the car shot straight into the trees. Pretty sure the car is totaled. Fortunately, she was not injured (amazing after seeing the car in the trees and all the damage). Nationwide is inspecting the brakes since we had them serviced last month. :sick:
    Now, other than the brakes, the car was wonderful. We both enjoyed driving. Does anyone know if the poor brakes are not an issue with newer models? What about 2008 and newer models?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We're glad that your daughter is okay after the accident, holzer! Hopefully you'll be able to find a great replacement vehicle for her!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • redrockhistoryredrockhistory Member Posts: 2
  • redrockhistoryredrockhistory Member Posts: 2
    Do all 2006 Pontiac's have anti-brake systems? I have had some problems with my bearings and the auto repair I took it to says he cannot see an ABS! He told me my car is rare?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    redrockhistory,
    If you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN and inquiry to socialmedia@gm.com we could check the vehicle build for you.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • sbspence2007sbspence2007 Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2007 Pontiac G6 Base with several nagging issues that we cannot get ironed out. We are really losing faith in the safety of this vehicle and GM in general. Most of the issues have been mentioned on this list and are numerous when I do a search on the internet about them. Is there ANYTHING you can do to help us? We've been die hard GM for the past 22 years...in fact my very first car was a 1967 GMC pickup that I purchased off a farmer in 1981! :) Please let me know. :lemon:
  • matthewg2matthewg2 Member Posts: 1
    GM is negligent.

I brought my car in for service 3 times to have this issue permanently resolved. The issue has returned and now they want to charge me for the service.

This is a faulty brake light defect and will likely be recalled.

The NHTSA in the states and Transport Canada are currently investigating the issue.

Be sure to call the relevant organization and file a complaint to help with their ongoing investigation.

Also call Lori at GM she is Management at their Customer Care Centre. She will be able to assist you. ...you can tell her I referred you - Matthew Gray.

905-644-5000 Ext: 2712
    1-800-263-3777 Ext: 2712

For more information check out the following article:
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2ZmYh7gqc

Hope this helps!

Drive safe,

Matt
    Just replaced front brake pads, 80K rotors good.