Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac G6 Transmission

Comments

• Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, I totally agree with you. I have thought the same thing too. I'll just drive it and if it blows up or breaks down, they'll have to tow it! Don't say I didn't warn ya...

I shouldn't talk like that though, I am going on a small road trip... don't want anything to happen. But, I do agree that the engine could be great if it was programmed and the crazy transmission was quality built. Even the rental has some characteristics of mine, but not nearly as noticeable. But, there is a point where it feels normal, and what does not. You as the driver become sensitive to a car driven often.

So, I will drive it. I am supposed to bring it in on Tues, but I think they may think I am high maintenance... Well, I work too hard and pay too much to have a newer car to have any issues. They want to honor the warranty, well... it can be at their expense.

Hey, how come you have to wait a few months, you should be okay to just trade now... any dealer will want you out anyway. You should be fine on your value versus your pay off. You shouldn't have any negative equity.
  • Options
    I was able to be a passenger yesterday in my car, and it was nice because I could really feel the engine. I could easily point out the one gearing that seems to shift rough and jump real easy. I could look over and see the RPM's move around.

This confirmed my belief that something is not right. I wasn't driving and I could feel it.

I am a little overdue on my oil change... that wouldn't be the culprit would it??
    Surely not?
  • Options
    dave06g6dave06g6 Member Posts: 24
    I'm pretty sure we are all dealing with trans issues & not engine issues. Now there may be a couple of electronic components that are off the engine and responsible for making the trans behave in this manner electronically (shift solenoids), but I still think there are internal mechanical issues with this newer transmission.

We have to wait a bit longer to get closer to the lease end (November). We have not yet approached a dealer to get out of it ( looking to purchase the Vibe with the 2.4 Litre Toyota Camry engine and the 5 Speed Manual ! )

With Pontiac on the way out and GM's doom, I don't think GMAC is looking to get people out of an existing contract lease anytime soon. This is our 3rd lease with GMAC however and traditionally they let you out 3 months prior providing you are going to go with another GM product again... I'm hoping this has not changed in their current fiscal position or it in fact is more of an incentive to get new contracts going... who knows - I'm sure the dust is still settling in most dealers this month with the bad news so we are going to start asking questions next month !
  • Options
    Is your trans hammering into 2nd gear from 1st ? Are you feeling the rough shifts through the entire 5 gears ? Does it hammer into Drive or Reverse from neutral at times ? These are the characteristics that I am experiencing on occasion, seems like a maximum oil line pressure in the trans or bad valve body / solenoids. I get a random code of P0010 off the ECM / computer (cam sensor). Sometimes it clears itself after a few days.

I have run synthetic oil in the car since almost new. I was told to remove it and change the oil back to good old 10W30 from Wallmart or something. This kind of characteristic has plagued some VW and Toyotas with VVTi engines. Synthetic engine oil is causing the VVTi actuators to engage prematurely which causes a cam position sensor to go out of whack and send incorrect readings to the powertrain control module or ECM, which causes a maximum pump pressure condition in the transmission... what results ? You know as well as I do.

Since I have changed the oil to 10W30 and drained the synthetic, I have to say that the frequency of this issue has certainly decreased (has only happened twice in the last month and we have to drive it daily).

Go figure - but I'm still convinced there is an internal trans issue for sure, possibly now as a result of the history its been going through for the last while with hammering gears... but most of the time it still shifts like butter. As long as it shifts that way when we drop it off for good - I don't care !!!

But I'd still love to know if anyone ever gets to the bottom of this issues, hopefully under warranty and not out of pocket.
  • Options
    stephsteffensstephsteffens Member Posts: 8
    :lemon: LOOK UP YOUR STATE LEMON LAWS, believe me you own a lemon!
    I have a 07, G6, GT I have complained of most of the same problems you have all discussed for almost two years! Last September my clutch assembly burnt completely out, they refused to cover it under warrantee and blamed me for it. I took it in again in November oil leaking on the clutch (definitely could have been what caused it the first time) covered the second replacement wouldn't do anything to help with first. Told them I had initiated a conversation with BBB; told me not to do that because it would "tie their hands, and they wouldn't be able to help me" it seemed like they were really trying so when I didn't get a reply from BBB I didn't pursue it. Its too long of a story to get into right now, but my car has not been right. TWO different dealers told me there was nothing wrong with it, the second time we refused to take it out of the shop until they found the problem, drove with the service manager demonstrated it to them, ended up that the entire transfer case was being held in with only 2 BOLTS! and they were loose.... but I didn't have a problem. Still wasn't right after "fixed"; again they tried to blow me off; we took it back and sat in the waiting room all day one friday refusing to leave until they found the problem; resulted in them finding an "intermittent problem" they have now had my car for over a month! Tried everything you can image, I have heard "it's the clutch cable, it was an electrical short, it was the ECM, it was a bad sensor, it was the traction control ..... on & on & on"; last week they brought in an Engineer, thought it was something else, didn't fix it, now they think the computer need re-programmed. Give me a break! They don't know what is wrong. And get this BBB won't help me because in Colorado the lemon law is 18 months, which was last January, one month AFTER I was told not to file with them or GM wouldn't be able to help me. HMMMMMMMM .... Laws are different in every state, know your state laws and go online to file a complaint, even if you think you don't quality make sure the initial intake of your claim (not just an email to them) is before the deadline. :mad: :lemon:
  • Options
    djasperdjasper Member Posts: 15
    Hi Dave, my wife usually drives the car but yesterday I got in it and shifted in Drive and it shifted in hard. It continued to shift hard through the gears. After I changed the other cam pos sensor, 2 weeks ago, the chk engine light hasn't went out. Usually they will go out after so many miles and starts. Feels like the tranny is ready drop. I just changed the oil last week with Pennzoil 5W30. I may change it again with 10W30. We definitely need help here, doubt GM will do anything about it. I may take mine into the local dealer soon..
  • Options
    Well, I was looking info up about the lemon laws. I qualify to report, but I am certainly not paying fees, costs, etc for this So I am wondering how cooperative they will be if this continues on.....?? They claim they want me to be fully satisfied.. but getting me out and leaving the brand would not help... but they claim the warranty... well, how about I run up the bill really high?

1st-Windows would not roll down-bad fuse

2nd-Catalytic converter clogged(replaced) had my car 8 days
    This played a role in the performance, helped, but did not help the shifting.

3rd-Windows would not roll down-bad fuse-bad window switch

4th-will be tomorrow for shifting rough on "one" of the gears. The lower gear.
    I am requesting a full transmission inspection.

I am going to keep bringing the car in.
  • Options
    I really wanted to keep this car. It has sunroof and 6 cd disk, getting these options on a base G6 with 4cyl isn't easy to find. I will try the local dealership and if they don't help then I will do the 10W30 oil, then possible trade in. I had a lot of good luck with Pontiac in the past but this car is the absolute worst of all. Love the car but hate the trb. I will let you guys know what the dealer says.
  • Options
    I just set an appointment to have my car looked at. The service manager told me the code P0010 has a service bulletin. He said a wire rubbing on a bolt causes it to break or something of that nature. I am going to look at it tonight and trace both cam pos wires. Maybe that will help.. I take it in on Friday. Will update.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I would be concerned - he should know that the particular TSB he is reading has nothing to do with your year ! Its only for a certain VIN range... which he should already know if you are affected. Here is an exerpt from the TSB for you - I've already checked that and it wasn't applicable to my 2006.

On rare occasions, a SES light, rough running, and/or hard start may be encountered. Upon inspection, any of the following DTCs may be found in the ECM: P0010, P0013, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0351, P0352, P0353 and P0354. This may be due to a short to ground on any of the control circuits for the ignition coils or camshaft actuator solenoids.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    If this concern is encountered, inspect the ignition coil harness for a potential short to ground on the fuel line bracket stud that is just above the EVAP purge valve. If any chaffed circuits are found, repair the circuits and harness as necessary, and replace the fuel line bracket stud using bolt part number 11588712. This bolt has a revised head to prevent harness damage in the future. Vehicles with a VIN breakpoint of 64233235 or greater already contain this revised bolt from the assembly plant.
  • Options
    Well, I dropped my car off today. They gave me a rental again. They called me later on and told me they could not duplicate the issue. I explained the whole issue over again to them. Obviously, I wouldn't hassle with going to a dealer if there was nothing wrong. Duh! So far they have been nice. But, it makes me frustrated that they cannot find anything. They are keeping it another day. Drive it more, it does not seem normal.... at all! I am not making it all up..lol.

I have 2 years left, and I feel like I am driving an old car!

Other than short of tearing down the transmission which could come down to that if I throw enough of a fit, or unless they feel it too or they come up with an error code....than that is it. But, I feel like there is something truly not right.

I am sad, frustrated about it all, because I like the car, but the engine is seemingly old and finicky. Yes, I signed a contact, however when does it cross the line?

What should I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I want out!!
  • Options
    New: Got a report of no issues found on my car. I was disappointed as I truly know that something is not right. The rental runs much smoother. You know who you slightly push down on the gas, it'll move up in gear, you really don't feel it, but you can see it move higher up on the rpm's. Well, on my car you can feel it sliding, shifting rough up and down this gear if you happen to press on the gas slightly making it go down in gear. That sorta gives an idea of what is happening with my car.

However, I was going to pick up my car after work last night... they dropped off the key fob to me at my work, while locking my "key" in the car so I could pick it up. Leaving the rental there. BUT, I searched forever for the keys, glove box, console, underneath the seat, mirrors, back seat, trunk..... I was mad! I just wanted to take my car home... I searched... I was like dang they didn't even put the keys in the car.
    Well, I get a phone call this morning saying that I need to move my car (it was blocking the service bay) I was like, you didn't even put the keys in the car...... They did..... Guess where?? It was underneath the floor mat...??
    Hello? My car was locked!!! Out of all the dang places, Seriously? Well, they told me it would be a charge for a new key to be cut, so it could be moved... I told them.. I was not going to take the fault for this... as that no one told me they would put the keys under the mat? Sure, I could have looked there, but it was the last place I thought it would be in a locked car. Plus, I was fried from work! So, they told me they would take care of it. Wow! I was mad they couldn't take my car home last night, I wanted it... but under the mat? It was locked.

I am so frustrated, and yet laughing, because the console would have been good enough to put the keys into.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Did I just walk right into that or was that a little odd??
  • Options
    Like I said before - you're fortunate enough to be dealing under warranty. When they figure out the result of your codes and transmission shift issues - let us know. I'm not surprised at your experience however !
  • Options
    gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Hi, I'm new to the G6 site, am trading my 04 Malibu LS for a 09 G6 sedan today, I know, I'm a glutton for punishment. Got a good deal from a bankrupt company for a discontinued car.
    The reason I'm posting is I have read a few of the transmission hard shift problems. I am aware that certain codes will cause the transmission to go full pressure and will hard shift. Has really nothing to do with a the trans, the code problem just needs to be fixed.
    I'll be hanging around.
  • Options
    Update, The service guy called this morning and they believe the problem is the connector on one of the actuators. The new guy on here is correct about the codes causing high pressure to the tranny. Apparently one of the connectors is broken and therefore the actuator is not working. The acuators are on top under the plastic cover. They are side by side, the one toward the front of the car is the bad connector. Something you may want to check as well. It could be cam pos sensor going bad, the actuators, connectors, wiring. But the good thing is that the tranny is fine. I am also having them checking the steering for the GM's infamous clunking noise. They are going to see if they can grease it otherwise a loop kit cost around $100. Mind you, this is not a safety issue, just a nuisance:) The connector is still going to cost me $50.
  • Options
    Hi New guy, I don't think you will be dissappointed, I do like the car, rides and handles well. I had a Grand Prix GTP, that I traded in for this car, The G6 actually has more room in side from front to back. The G6, believe it or not, handles better that the GTP. We usually get 26-27 mpg all the time, mixed driving. Haven't done any roadtrips yet. I think all manufactures have some things go wrong, this just took a liittle time to figure out. The connector on the actuator is hopefully the problem with my G6. Talk to ya.
  • Options
    I bought the base model with a the Sun and Sound package also Preferred group, pretty well loaded. I thought it was cool to check tire pressure using the DIC. Only have 70 miles on it so far.
  • Options
    Thankfully, the car is actually running better now! When the car was in the shop being inspected, I had the oil changed, then I picked it up. I am finding the engine to run better now. I did push the oil change past due this time. It had been last year early winter, late fall?. So, it needed it badly. The performance is much better now too, the true test is when I am driving up and down hills. It doesn't want to change gears as much to keep it going through the hills. The rough shifting is pretty much gone.

Hopefully, this was the issue, because it does feel better. Who knew a simple oil change would make a difference.

I am thankful for my warranty. I also need to take a step back and realize its a lease... not forever, its just a car. Either way, I know I won't keep it the whole lease... next year this time I will have a better position at trading. 1yr in, and trading is too soon. I have to be thankful for what I have.

I really love the car.. it may not be what I want, but it certainly pampers you with all its features. Some of which cannot be had on others.
  • Options
    OK, now we're getting somewhere - I wondered about that too after reading the TSB's on chaffed wiring to those sensors. When inspecting mine I could see that the one at the rear of the engine (toward to firewall not the front of the car) has been taking alot of oil run off - possibly from a few drops missing the filler opening at the top of the motor during each oil change process. It certainly looked much more grimy then the other connector.

Is that the one they are replacing ? The Code that is coming up (P0010) is the actuator for "Bank 1".

If you could let me know if that is the one they replaced (connector) and perhaps what the part # is on your invoice - I am going to give that a shot.

Loop kit ? Never heard of that - the front end noise is usually a weak lower control arm bushing or the input / output shaft on that side of the wheel assembly. There are TSB's that point to it, greasing it only lasts for so long.

Cheers...
  • Options
    :D I genuinely hope you have great luck with your new car. I absolutely loved my first G6; it was an 06 Sedan GTP automatic, fun to drive reliable roomy for a smaller car. It had everything I wanted, I loved it; mad as heck that I let a "friend" talk me into trading it in on the one I have now (07 Coupe GT, manual); lower payments, cooler look, little better gas mileage... it all sounded good .... if I would have just kept the 06 it would be paid off this month and I would still love it; I am sure of that.

this one... at only 13K miles I the nightmare of the last two years started. Not all G6's are bad, supposingly they have decided that the 07 with 3.9L (GT) manual transmission has a programming issue, it's never been right.... imagine that... just what I have been saying for 1.5 years! :mad:

Wishing all the best, enjoy your new car!
  • Options
    After a year and a half of complaining of problems with my 07 Pontiac G6 GT, Manual Transmission, everything from electrical shorts, to burnt clutch, you name it, it's never never run right. It has been in the shop for well over a month now; replaced everything they can guess to replace brought in an engineer; supposingly they have determined that the programming in the car is flawed. That it has never been right ... hmmmmmm never been right..... just what I have been saying since it was new and no one would listen to me. Now they are telling me to come pick it up because there is nothing they can do until they write a new program for it; but "its good news because we finally know what's wrong with it". BS They say this car is extremely rare so finding others with the same problem is unlikely.... hello if it is in the Computer Program that runs the car EVERY ONE will have the same problem. DUH.... If you own one of these cars you have a problem, and it is not in your head. :lemon:
  • Options
    Dave, I replaced both sensors but it is actually the connector to the actuator on the top of the engine. If you take the plastic cover off, you will see, what looks like two sensors, to the left side. They only about an inch apart, The front actuator connector, is what they are telling me, is bad. I talked to him again yesterday to confirm. I didn't see anything wrong with it but will give it a try. The connector is going to cost $50 and that is ridiculous. He said it isn't making good contact and if you move it around then the actuator starts working.. I will be splicing on the new connector hopefully Friday.

Yes the code (P0010) is for bank 1. I will let you know about the connector part # for the actuator, if that is one you want. I hope the dealer and I are talking the same language. That is why I called him again yesterday. We drove the car for a few hours after he reset the computer and it drove great untill the light came back on and started shifting hard, once more..

I meant lube kit for the steering shaft. Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. Didn't need the kit, they tore it apart and lube the shaft and it is like new again..
  • Options
    Very interesting. Which connector to the Cam Position sensor is the bad one that they discovered ? The one at the back of the engine (closest to the firewall) or the one to the front of the engine. I think Bank 1 is the back. I can see that the sensor there takes alot of dirt off the back of the engine, the connector itself has some oil residue / runoff on it from the top of the valve cover (few drops maybe at oil change times) I bet this is causing an abnormal resistance at the connector and thus the ECM thinks the Cam Sensor is acting up. You're saying yours are about an inch apart ? Are we looking at the same thing ? My Cam position sensors (2.4L engine) are one at the front and one at the back. If you mean left & right, as in passenger side and drivers side - then I am confused. Mine are both on the drivers side of the motor, one at the front and one at back.

I am going to pull mine apart this week (connector) and clean it thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner then re-install. I don't see how they can become loose or bad in any way - they are simple connectors. $50 is crazy I agree !

I did the same steering shaft repair under warranty as well, worked for awhile until the grease wore out. They eventually diagnosed a bad lower control arm and replaced that.

Let me know what you find out on the part # from your invoice. Appreciate it... Cheers
  • Options
    Well, My car got all grumpy with the gears again last night. Last night one shift got pretty intense. That was the first time it did it that hard though. Then it was just normal characteristics later on. It seems like sometimes its fine and then other times, the gears get a little weird. But, with the JOLT I felt last night, that has to be mechanical, not computer based.

I am not sure what is happenning, but of course, the dealer found nothing wrong.
    But, yesterday, if it did that when they were in the car, they would see the amplified version of what it does. There are something a person know when driving a car,that tells you its normal or not. Its not always normal.

I am going to just keep driving it, if it gets worse, i will bring it in. But, last night concluded that the issue I have can be amplified to a bigger problem, it was literally a jolt, kick down in gear. So, the problem is there.

I think that was a way of letting me know, hey, its not just me feeling things, but perhaps a real problem, that seems to be slowly showing its face with time.

So, I will give it time. Then when there is a transmission problem or issue it will show up big time eventually, then they'll be forced to take action.

I asked my Pontiac company rep if I could call her if it happened to go wrong during my road trip to florida... and if they would get a rental, and tow the thing to somewhere at their cost. That would be so bad! It would get their attention though right. I am just so done with leaving my car at the dealer, so I will wait, any issue eventually gets worse... and last night proved it, and was a sign to me.
  • Options
    I take the car in tonight to have the connector put on tomorrow. I would put it on but I would rather the dealership do it. They have all the necessary tools, splice tools, heat shrink, heat gun and they can clear the code again.
    The mech told me that it was the actuator conn causing the trb, not the sensor. The actuator has something to do with the variable timing and is located on top of the engine.They have INT and EXT written near them. There are two and they are literally an inch apart. He said it is the one towards the front. He said the conn is not making good contact and the act is only working part of the time. We shall see. I did look at and I didn't think the connector looked bad. oh well, It must be done. Will let you know tomorrow or Wednesday. I pick up the car Tuesday evening..
  • Options
    Hmmm, still perplexed at your description that they are about an inch apart. There is a cam sensor on the front of the engine on our 06 2.4 litre, its by the upper cam of course on the top right side (if you are standing at the front of the car) The one at the rear is of course by the other cam, basically in the same location as the front one - just at the back of the engine. Here is a picture of the 2.4litre in the chevy HHR, its very similar and you can see the cam sensor sticking out of the cylinder head in this picture, its above the oil dipstick pointing toward the drivers side of the car:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2009/Photo%20Library/Ecote- c/LE9/09%202.4L%20I-4%20VVT%20LE9%20HHR%20LoR_n.jpg

You are talking about the 2.4 Litre G6 correct ? I hope your issue goes away then with this simple change out of the connector. I've yet to take mine off and ensure its tight on the sensor, perhaps put some dielectric grease in there too for better contact.

Pls reply though if this clears up your code fault issues and occasional harsh shift conditions.

Cheers.
  • Options
    anotherdave1anotherdave1 Member Posts: 1
    This discussion is very interesting to me since it describes the exact problem I have with my 06 G6 2.4L. Transmission shifts hard going into Reverse or Forward, and each shift up through the gears is hard with a good thump. Interestingly, my car first did this about 2 years ago and the dealer did some sort of "firmware update" to the computer and that fixed it. It began doing it again this spring, but not all time time. Sometimes it is fine for several days and the engine light goes back off, then it will start doing it again. At first it seemed to be temperature related. I'm waiting for it to do it all the time before I take it in to be worked on. I'm interested in seeing what other find is the cause. My dealer is one that is being closed by GM so I don't know how hard they are willing to work to correct this issue. Anyway, I'm off warranty now so it's at my expense.
  • Options
    Off warranty - I know how you feel. Fortunately for us they have just decided to take ours back early (lease) with the condition that we purchase or lease another vehicle. Gladly - since they are going to swallow the remaining 6 months of the contract. We are ordering up a Pontiac Vibe next week with the 2.4L Toyota Camry engine and a 5 Speed manual thank you very much.

Eventually GM will issue a TSB on this issue once they have either replaced a few thousand cam sensors or electrical harnesses nation wide under warranty. I am pretty sure its electronic and not a mechanical trans issue.

Wish you guys luck....
  • Options
    If they are forcing you to eat the 6mths, then they are not doing you a favor..lol.
    That is too bad.

I was like when the Pontiac Rep asked what they could do to make me feel good about my car again? and I stated, I want out. Their like... well you signed a contract... I am like uhhh, well you have to uphold your end of the contract too. Like providing a quality product.

My engine is NOT normal. I test drove an 07 with more mileage, 2 09 identical rentals, and they are drove much better. Smoother, quicker, the darn transmission didn't act up.

So, I will drive my 08 G6, and no that I don't have too much longer before I will get out. I won't have to keep it the whole lease, but trading now is too soon though.
    Usually 2yrs in, your doing okay. My dealer has been nice, and they know that I did not want it anyway. (long story).

I love the car itself, but hate the engine! I want a VW Wolfsburg edition with the 2.0T engine!! It will happen. If you want anything in life, you have to make it happen. Its just a car.
  • Options
    Not a fix, another $50 gone and the trb came back a day later. The connector he was refering to is not for the sensor, but for the actuator. If you are standing in front of the car, looking at the engine, take off the plastic cover. The actuators are on on top,left side, sticking straight up. Like I said they are about an inch or apart. The cam pos sensors are as you described one in front and one towards the firewall. I replaced both sensors already. I will give them a call tomorrow and ask them about it again. Maybe the actuator is bad. Will continue this until they remedy the trb.
  • Options
    OK, I understand what / where you are talking about now, sorry the trouble is still there but doesn't surprise me of course. They must have an issue with the actuators themselves... keep hammering them until they replace them, good luck. We get our Vibe at the end of the week, not to say that the Camry engine won't ever suffer from something similar but it surely won't hammer the transmission as a result being a manual ! I'm going to follow this thread for sure.

Cheers.
  • Options
    No - they are taking care of the last 6 months which is mostly what made our decision combined with the other great incentives going on in our region now for any GM product, well in this case, a GM / Toyota product, which is the main reason we chose the Vibe. I'm done with automatic transmissions for awhile. Stay patient, they will figure this out eventually and issue a TSB, at least you have your warranty, others are not so lucky.

Every car has its issues - even VW (my friend is a VW mechanic) The 2.0 engine has been a good stable for them in many cars - but they all use similar technology for engine and powertrain control management.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Well, I figure I will only be out of it in about 12mths or so. By then having a lease for 2yrs is usually a perfect time to get out. I've done it before. Unless it comes out to show the symptoms more, than I am not going to bring it to the dealer. It really is hit and miss. But it is there. Not really worried. Its annoying though how a company could do this to you. Reason enough to be upset with GM. Honda people never treated me this way. Then again, Honda isn't bankrupt.

However, after this car. I will find it VERY hard to ever return back to a GM product. Why take that kind of risk.

This goes to prove, always get what you want from the beginning, never opt for something else. It never works out. Then you'll keep the car longer, be happier longer... and have more pride in it.

I have pride in my car, keeping it good looking, detailed, but I do not have pride in the engine. It feels like I am driving a car that has an engine with many more miles on it. If I want to drive used, I would have bought used.

I will keep doing research and working closely with my dealer. First chance, I will be out. But with all the said. I can understand why people like their G6's or Pontiacs. Am I a true fan? No. I am a Honda guy! I love VW too!!
  • Options
    toysg6toysg6 Member Posts: 4
    Hello. I am so glad that i've found someone who is having the exact same issues that i'm having. This 2008 pontiac g6 is a piece of junk. I hate it. My transmission jolts/lunges all the time, around the same speeds. Especially when I take off from a stop light. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. Do you know what else I could possible tell them to help find the problem? I am really irritated with this car. Please help me.

Also when cranking the car, many times it acts as though it doesn't want to crank. When I turn the key, it just keeps turning over like it doesn't want to start. Has anyone else had these problems?
  • Options
    toysg6toysg6 Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I am very new to this discussion, and I don't know alot about cars, so I need you to explain some of the stuff in your post please. My 2008 pontiac g6 2.4 is having the same cranking problem. The dealership said nothing was wrong. Is there something that I can tell them to check for? Is there a shortage somewhere? Any insight would be very very helpful. Thanks.
  • Options
    I have explained everything to the dealer. They rode with me and they felt it once. But, "never a sign" after that. I will just let it be, and realize that this is not normal. Luckily, I lease and you all seem to be having more issues than me. So, I will live with it. I really don't have too much longer. I never though my engine was normal to begin with. But, then again, this is my first "GM" product. Trust me, I will not be back. Even the new 6spd automatic 4cyl out on the GM car is nothing special when compared to the competition. My other 08 Jetta, my old lease..06 Accord literally blows the G6 4cyl off the road! In terms of overall torque, engine quality and feel. They may get the "mileage" but its no fun. Do not compare a GM car with a Honda. 2 different segments. Those hondas can get more mileage than stated.

My next lease, I am really focusing on the engine, perhaps a VW with a 2.0T engine, or a Honda product. Though, I could get by easily with a 4cyl Accord, after what I have been through, I would get the V6 for the power.

However, I have thought about going to another dealer to have it inspected. But, I almost don't care. It is their car, not mine.... when it comes to the engine, I am responsible for the maintanence on the car, oil changes, tire rotation, overall cleanliness of the car. Anything more than that, its out of our reach or care.
    Other than its annoying. So if it blows up, or does anything else, I'll just call them to pick it up.

It'll do for now. Its all good. My friend got a new 09 G6 4cyl.... She loves her pontiac's. But, I know that their is so much more bang for the buck than that. I will try not make this mistake again. I am over it. :shades:
  • Options
    I'm convinced through my months of net research and following the erratic codes coming off our car that they have bad cam sensors, cam actuators or its in the wiring to them, although these issues feel mechanical like a bad valve body or torque converter, the randomness of the issue does not relate to failing mechanical transmission components - it would grenade itself much faster.

I say again though - these Ecotec 2.4 engines are an excellent motor, both in build and power characteristics - Opel has done well with them, they are just mated to poorly designed electronics and if its in the wiring or harnesses of these vehicles - well we can thank the UAW union assembly hand for that.

If you have warranty on it - by all means, keep chasing it down and go to another dealer, why not... just remember the 2006 does not have extended powertrain coverage. Thankfully - we get rid of ours tomorrow, the dealer swallowed the last 6 mos of the lease and we have purchased a Vibe. Kind of ironic that they just redesigned that vehicle and this week announced the curtain call as well for the GM / Toyota plant in Freemont.

Oh well, looking forward to our New Vibe or Matrix / Camry - whatever, its all the same... we opted for the 2.4 Litre Camry engine mated to the 5 Speed Stick, no more automatics thank you very much.

As for bang for the buck... try and beat it - its tough, drive one! Good luck, let us know if you ever get this solved!
  • Options
    Dave,
    I agree with you. I have worked in the telecom world for 15 years and the radomness of the problem relates more to electronic than mechanical. I've had
    plenty of electronic parts, in my line of work, act in this way. Could be actuator, could be a partial open on a pos or neg wire. This is a pain and I have been looking at trading, if I can get this thing to run right for a long enough time. I will purchasing a manual tranny. The wife drives the car and didn't want a manual before but she will have one this time, she can drive a stick just wanted the convenience.
    I talked to the service manager Monday and let him know that I was disappointed. I knew the connector wasn't bad but I figured if they guess then they will make if right with me. He explained that they were not trying to rip me! The main mechanic will be back Monday. They are to call me for the next step. I told him about the firmware upgrade but we will see. I told him that I can't afford their guess work!
  • Options
    Had the same fears as you, out of warranty and could not go down the expensive road of constant diagnosis and parts replacements - anyone under warranty needs to keep at this until a solution is found. I bought an OBDII scanner and was keeping track of the codes it was sending (P0010 and P0012) my scanner also saw the transmission / powertrain control module and it was always clear. I am thanking my lucky stars that the car is gone now and no longer our problem.

The Vibe is a great car, check it out... when you test drive the 2.4L Camry engine mated to the 5 speed manual you'll appreciate the Toyota in it... too bad this is the end of the line for this car and GM's involvement with Toyota - one can only hope that they learned something. In my opinion - the Vibe is the only Pontiac to buy at this point !!!

Cheers.
  • Options
    I bought a 09 G6 with 5 yr 50 K warranty, it will gone after 5 years. The warranty covers all but normal maintenance items, not too bad.
    Have the GMPP Major Guard, learned my lesson with a Z body Malibu. It fell apart after 40 K.
  • Options
    No offense, but may I ask what your reasoning was for getting a G6? This is out of curiosity, and means no offense to you. I have one, not by choice, but I do. I like it. I can see why people like them. But, with so many other cars out now, what made you choose this car. Unless it was a great deal, and it really is a good, sporty looking ride. I tell you what, it doesn't even rattle inside like my 06 Accord did. So they did that excellent. Though, it took me awhile to get used to the suspension. It is different, and more numb than the Accord. I prefer a stiffer ride, and its fairly stiff. A bit too numb for my taste though. I like it though now.

Let us know. What color and package did you end up with? Deals can be had now.
  • Options
    Great deal, always like Pontiac style. Is base model with Preferred group and Sun & Sound, more options than my loaded 04 Malibu.
    Missed the 4 cyl, 3.5 too much power, always putting my foot into it, not good for mileage.
    Know all the faults, will know what to check before the 3 yr 36 K runs out.
    BTW the best handling car I have ever owned, it stays glued in the corners, must be the 225-50R-17 tires.
  • Options
    sebastian7704sebastian7704 Member Posts: 5
    If your seeing DTC P0010 and sometimes also P0011 , your experiencing late or hard shifting from 1st to second gear (other gears as well but not as much as 1st to 2nd), it happens sometimes , but more often when car has been running for a while then goes away when parked for a bit. Engine light may come on but not always. When it does then it goes away after a few cycles (5). Then your like me, I have been driving with this annoying condition for over a year. If that's your Pontiac G6 then try this:
    - take the black plastic engine cover off (you will need to take oil cap off)
    - on the left side on top of the engine you will see two OCV next to each other
    - the one with INT letters edged into engine is intake OCV (camshaft position actuator BANK 1) (or the one closer to the front of the car)
    - take the connector to it off (pressing the black part of it down and moving it a bit)
    - you will see two pins sticking out of the OCV
    - with some sand paper or something sharp clean the pins so they're nice and shiny again
    - you may also want to bend them just a little to the left but not to much so that the connector can snap back on
    - plug in the connector
    - if you have a ODB2 tool you can reset your codes clean (that may cause your engine to run a bit hard for few minutes which may include hard shifts, it is normal while ECM learns again)

That's what fixed my P0010 and all shifting / transmission problems as described in this forum thread. The intake OCV connector wasn't making a good or any contact at all which caused cam timing problems. While your at it , you may also clean the OCV filters by taking the bolt out that holds it and just removing any junk that maybe stuck to it. I had a bit of it after almost 4 years of driving.
    If this works for anyone, let us know here.

Cheers
  • Options
    orion61orion61 Member Posts: 1
    My G6 did the same thing to me jolting and jerking in the city at the same speed, when it finally dawned on me that I was driving it in 4th (OD) and was lugging the engine..
    I have since dropped it to 3rd (in the city).. which was the norm for auto trannys when I grew up.
    40K later no problems and I just had to learn my car....
    I get a solid 33mpg highway and 26 city.. I love mine...ess I drive so many highway miles I don't have any break issues, I am surprised no dealer has mentioned this.. look at the tac if you are driving under 1.9k then you are lugging the motor in the city,
    a very bad thing..
    I am sure there are lemons out there.. just be sure you are not using a lime to make lemonade..
    Orion
  • Options
    You're talking about gear ratio hunt, many transmissions do this under moderate throttle at the 3-4 upshift, it will go back and forth in a manner which causes lag issues on the engine, your solution helps the matter but in some cases reprogramming the transmission control module is required. You don't have that issue with a CVT trans of course or a manual unless you do it on purpose!

Our issues here are not what you are experiencing. Try holding your engine revs at 3K then shifting to drive or reverse. This is what we are talkng about ! OK don't do that, but you get the picture on whats happening here in this discussion.

Fortunately I got out of my lease... I'm just following this thread to see if someone eventually gets a proper repair on this issue from a dealer.
  • Options
    Based on the reviews, it looks like the G6 is pretty much dying. When compared to the competitors, its no longer trying to take the lead.

You can get used G6 for cheap now too. But, I am not sure I would, definitely not without a warranty.

I drive by the VW or a Honda dealer and so want to get the car I want. I could be paying the same amount or a bit more and be much happier.

Honestly, if it wasn't my engine acting so weird, than I would not be feeling like I want out so early. I have 23mths left on my lease. I am thinking that this fall or christmas time, I could be in a better position. In April or May I was about $6k upside down. It will level out at some point. My dealer has been more than helpful, but they can only move the numbers around so much.

Honestly, if I could get even $3k upside down, I'll move on it. I know its not advised, but I could work the sale price of the new lease, It would be worth it.

I am all about the engine on the next lease!
  • Options
    I hear ya, been there (waiting for our lease end negotiation point), they let us out of it 6 months early but only because we purchased a car. I think the dealer was fair with us in swallowing the rest of the payments - GMAC did not want to, I think they want that guaranteed income.

Anyway - I hear you about Honda or VW or whatever else... but don't forget the Vibe > Matrix > Corolla > Camry... whatever you want to call it. In my opinion its the only GM I'd buy now after this powertrain experience. Vibes are mechanically identical to the Toyota Matrix, its wether you want the Corolla engine or the Camry Engine. We went with the 2.4 Litre Camry engine mated to the 5 Speed MANUAL. No more GM slushbox for us thanks very much.

Current incentives make this Toyota > GM product pretty attractive indeed, they are great cars and the powertrain is just as impressive - doubt I'll have a warranty issue with this thing in 160,000 kilometres. Too bad that the Vibe has to go along with Pontiac, but the California plant is closing as well. Get 'em while you can I guess !

And don't worry about parts, Toyota plans to carry on with the Matrix for years to come, and the Corolla and Camry powertrains are not going anywhere too so you're not going to have to worry about a Cam Sensor 10 years from now either!
  • Options
    Sebastian, Where were you a few weeks back. I have been stressed out over this same problem. The dealer splice on a new connector and it still didn't fix it. Next was replacing the actuator bank 1(as you said). They wanted $150 and So I checked another dealer and got it for $50. It will be in next week. The mechanic said that he would move the connector and the act would work on and off.. I believe you are the man.. thanks for the help.
  • Options
    06g6_girl06g6_girl Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2006 G6 in 2008. Things started out great. The car was flawless! Right before my warranty went out I had to replace the O2 censor, the sterio, and the battery. Not even 3 months after replacing all of this I now have to replace my transmission as it has practically eaten itself out! It jerked around tons driving in town, would redline trying to climb a hill when I had the cruise control on, and had absolutly no power to it! The car has less then 50k miles on it and I am so far upside down in my loan I cannot get rid of it..

I make sure my maint. is always on time and I don't hotrod my car because I needed it to last me longer then year! I find the G6's a waste of time and money, It was the most worthless car I have ever bought! I see my 1998 cavalier still running around town and it has over 300K miles on it, and still runs excellent!
  • Options
    Wow - sorry about your luck, thats exactly what I was afraid of with 6 mos left in the lease and the transmission hammering gears. Thankfully they took it back as we purchased a Pontiac Vibe (2.4L Toyota Camry engine with the 5 Speed Manual thank you Toyota)

Yours is the first I have heard of the transmission actually grenading itself from this issue. If you are still close to the 3 year / 60K Warranty period I can't see them not helping you out with this, considering the exact same transmission was covered under the newer GM warranty from 2007 upward. You need to speak with your dealer and ask them to handle this out of good faith with GM, I should think that they will make the effort.

Good luck...