Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Navigation System

Comments

• rag133rag133 Member Posts: 25
    Don't forget the Music Box search is locked out too when you are moving, which really blows when on the highway. I don't even use the Music Box anymore but instead put all my music onto the Compact Flash card. This music box lockout kinda ruins the point of the damn thing when on a long family trip being able to search music and change it up.
  • alang4alang4 Member Posts: 40
    None of these lockout issues are severe enough in my opinion to make me change my mind about how incredible the car is. I just did a 400-mile round trip and the car behaved flawlessly, including the nav system.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    have to agree with you, the lockout has never affected me. Driving a car with 300+ horses, you need to be sure you are attentive on the road. You can still use voice activation for the NAV which is pretty good and I use my ipod and it works great while driving.

I believe Acura does not lock you out, but I can assure you this has never drawn me to any of their products.

Just my 2 cents.
  • kimokakakimokaka Member Posts: 2
    I am having trouble deleting a name or changing the voice command for an already stored item in the phonebook. Also, I put the wrong phone number in and now can't change. Does anyone know how to do this? It should be simple (and probably is) but I can't figure it out
    Thanks in advance
  • msuactionmanmsuactionman Member Posts: 5
    I am a new '08 G35x Owner and I had this same question yesterday. Here is what you do:

You can't delete from inside the phonebook for some strange reason. The option is there when you create a name, but its greyed out. You have to start from the beginning using the Settings button, then go to your Phonebook from there and then you can edit or delete an entry. Hope this helps!

I am still searching on where to find out how to get NAV updates......... :)

As far as the lockouts from the NAV... trust me it's not something that you can't grow to love. I came from an '06 Honda Ridgeline that uses the top notch Navigation from Honda/Alpine. True, nothing beats having all of your options while moving, but the Infiniti nav can do just about anything that you would need but you are reduced to using voice commands. If you use voice commands, you can change, edit, re-route, choose waypoints, and choose new points of destination using all commands. I know Honda has no lock-outs, yes that is true, but I pretty much have been able to find a way to do what I do on my Honda somehow with voice commands on my Infiniti.
  • jeffwilsonjeffwilson Member Posts: 45
    The biggest thing that I miss that can't be done via voice is POI searches. I want to know where the nearest bank or gas station is and don't want to pull over to park to find them!
  • msuactionmanmsuactionman Member Posts: 5
    Unless I am missing something or I am mistaken, POI Searches are still possible while moving. When you go to Navigation VIA Voice while moving you have the option of selecting a category and then doing the nearest selection. You don't have just the address option VIA voice or am I wrong?
  • jeffwilsonjeffwilson Member Posts: 45
    OK, I know that you can get use your voice to pull up PLACES, but yuo can't specify a specific place. It just brings up the closest banks, gas stations, etc. If I am looking for the nearest WACHOVIA bank, you can't do that with just voice. And I am surprised how much I use that, because I use it a lot!!
  • webcamswebcams Member Posts: 3
    I agree with alang4 while I wish you could fully use the Nav system I can understand the Liability due to a distracted driver, the car that slammed into a tree on a center island today is further proof of the smallest distractions can kill or injure countless people. The car is so strong in so many other areas this is not a reason to consider a lesser car. I recently went on a road trip through mountain roads and switched to manual it was terrific the car was ready for more and behaved so well under tight corners on hills It out-drove me by far.
  • unhappy20unhappy20 Member Posts: 1
    After leasing exclusively Lexus' automobiles since 1992 we decided to give the Infiniti G35X a try in great part due to the Navigation System and the Music Box. What a mistake that was! We've had the car about 6-7 weeks now and find the fact that most of the most important features to us don't work when the car is in motion an abomination. To make matters worse, the Music Box is much more dangerous to use when the car is in motion because in order to get a desired album, you have to scroll through every track of every album until you find the first track on the album you want to listen to. Or try to find a restaurant when you're on a long road trip (we always have 2 people in the car on long trips...so we are perfectly safe with the passenger operating the system)...the system will show you just 4 of potentially hundreds of nearby restaurants. No way you can see any others on the list unless you stop the car. What's even worse, the Nav System as programmed by ZenRin is incompetent and simply doesn't compare in ease of use or in the ability to find an address to our old portable Garmin Street Pilot. In fact, we've now taken to putting our Garmin in the Infiniti so that we have a competent Nav System with us. We are much more than unhappy--we're disgusted.
  • askalanaskalan Member Posts: 3
    My G35x lease is up this week and all your comments, and my past 39 months of G35 NAV experience, has convinced me to try the Acura system instead. Maybe Infiniti will get the point one day.
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    I really don't buy the whole "liability" issue. All of the stand alone nav systems like Garmin and TomTom have all of their functions available while the vehicle is moving. It just seems like the Infiniti system is a poor design, and like all factory installed nav systems, too expensive for what you get, harder to update, etc. :sick:
  • timiatatimiata Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way around this? Is there some way of turning off the block on the full functionality of the nav system while driving?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Actually, its more than the liability issue, its mandated by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers for its members. It is also SAE J2364/5 which says, basically, if it takes more than 15 seconds (i.e. destination entry) it is locked out while the vehicle is in motion.
    Honda and the European mfgrs are not Alliance members nor do they support the SAE guideline. They do support a somewhat arbitrary measure of driving performance that they can't quite get to be accepted by anyone else, which is something of a liability for them.
    The hand held devices are not tied to a particular manufacturer and as such, don't face the same legal requirements as in-vehicle systems. The trade off is a tiny screen.
    As far as the updates, the Garmin maps update for the C-class systems is $70.
  • g_forceg_force Member Posts: 12
    I agree with the worthless comments as well. I too carry my GARMIN NUVI with me while on trips in our 08 G35XS. I see as much as an hour difference in travel times. Garmin is exactly right on, while my Infiniti Nav is as much as 1 hour or more incorrect. $2K for a worthless moving map that can't find locations that have been on the globe for 3 years or more! In fact, one such location in St. George, Utah, has been around for 10 years, but my Infiniti Nav responds with "no address found". It's pathetic that you THINK you're getting a quality product in an awesome vehicle (I happen to believe that) and spend the extra $$$ for the whistles and bells, (NAV Package), where a trip to COSTCO solves the problem for pennies on the $, (Garmin Nuvi).
    I understand that the vehicle manufacturers are at the "mercy" of the 3rd party vendors for updating software, but car dealers pushing/lying about an option that is more than 2 years out of date without cracking a smile, gets under my skin. This is further PROOF that dealers can't be trusted! I know better, but this isn't a GEO Metro, it's an Infiniti.
  • mpoisson1mpoisson1 Member Posts: 9
    You CAN switch from album to album while driving. All you have to do is hold the toggle switch on the steering wheel up or down for about a second. This will change the album (assuming you are in album view). I believe it also works via turning the tuning knob. Pretty simple.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Well that's great so Honda and the European's don't participate in the SAE alliance and then the G navi sucks becasue of it. It is one of the huge things that has stopped me more than once from buying a G, the Acura Navi is light years ahead of a G.
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Does anyone know if the 09 navi behaves the same way? I would have passed on the navi for my 07, but I wanted the music box and hte back-up camera. Personally...when I had to keep re-loading my 5 choices (Or pull over on an 80mph highway)...I was more distracted than I could have ever been with a touch screen. Not to mention that I had a passenger and the car already has sensors in the seat to determine that. Massive oversight. The forced fresh-air function being my only other non MPG gripe though.
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    I can't answer for the 09 NAVI, I have an 08 w Navi but in 08 they added the Compact flash also for music, I use a 2gb card have 17 albums and about 50 songs in the root directory, The root directory and all the others albums appear as selections you can select into using the center Nav button or the steering wheel contols and see the whole album. You can move around with the controls on the wheel or the Dash and change or select any song at any time, and any speed. I thought I would love the navi music box, In 3 months I've never used it, the compact flash more than meets my needs and is a breeze to connect to your pc and load or change.
    Thanks....my 07 has the CF card also...but I loaded it up and had a list of like 1,000 plus songs to scroll through...haven't touched it since since. Plus I can burn my own CD and use the text function when ripping to the music box and essentially have varied songs. Then, of course, you start rolling and your high-tech device loses 5 years instantly in functionality lol Stupid, to say the least.
    I've never used the music box function but odd how they let you scroll through the CF card while driving , but not the music box. I've organized mine into albums maybe why its ok to me. I know getting to the 40th if I'm on the first is a pain,
    Name me a car with a 0-60 time under 5.5s which allows you to use the nav while driving:)

I think thats why the Nav wont allow you to do all these things you want to do, you cant have it all gentlemen
    Having had one for 3 months I seriously doubt the sedan does 0-60 in under 5.5 I personally have no complainnts with the NAV personally I use the CF card for music and that lets you make changes in motion
    I have the G35X and I do 0-60 somewhere around 5.5 seconds, where exactly in the range I will only discover once I go to the race track this summer. I would be shocked if anyone cannot do the same. Personally I have no issues with the Nav, its at par with Lexus. I believe only Acura/Honda allows you full functionality when moving.
    I bet the altima/maxima nav does the same stupid lockout...and they aren't exactly rockets. I would do it again for the tech package and the music box...but I am not happy with the lockout features. They could have at least tied it into the passenger seat airbag sensor. Lease is up next year...the new 7spd auto is VERY appealing ! !
    The Altima is Identical my son has an 08 3.5SE with NAV the units behave exactly the same, I believe his car is slightly quicker than my X I attribute it to the weight of the X, and maybe mine only has 2k miles on it
    G is almost a second faster in 1/4 mile, though close in 0-60 with the altima 3.5. You should be able to real him in and pass him with ease as speeds increase. I am assuming the 4 cyl altima also can be had with nav, negating any speed connection. I do love the CVT they seem to have mastered. Actually, I might get killed on here, but the altima coupe (Esp in the rear) is a better looking car than the G coupe to me. just my $.02
    I'll admit his CVT kills me on MPG The GX has 36 more HP but also about 450 lbs more weight
    I bought a new 08 G35x in the end of November, I understand navteq released the 008-09 nav maps in January, anyone know if were intitled to updates or are they going to try to make us pay for the update
  • lgmlgm Member Posts: 7
    I got a notice in the mail that the upgrade would cost $190 and you would have to go to the dealer to get it installed (for which a service fee might be charged depending on the dealership). Website is www.navigation.com.infinitiX8. Let us know if you decide to get it.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Actually you get a coupon code. You must print out the code and have them install it. They can't update it without that code. Takes about an hour or less. Also make sure you get your CDDB updated. That's the Gracenote CD id database. That's free under warranty. Do this as well as updating the maps. The actual map update procedure takes about 35 minutes.
  • hrbstrhrbstr Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have a 2005 G35X all stock(for now). What is the latest Navi CD for this vehicle? How do I order it and make sure it doesn't fry something?
    Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Hrbstr
  • jimbob63jimbob63 Member Posts: 1
    My 08 G35 froze up like yours and the dealership had to replace the audio unit under warranty.It would reboot after a few minutes.
  • steven85steven85 Member Posts: 1
    The voice recognition feature in my 2007 G35X NAV system doesn't recognize certain towns and cities in NJ. I brought it to the attention of the dealer and Infiniti authorized the replacement of a certain part. Don't know which part was replaced, however I do know...The problem still exists. I will say this,the dealer had another '07 G35 on his lot and that vehicle HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! In the event a reader has an '07 G35 and wants to check his NAV to determine if he has the same problem I will provide the town and state where my problem exists...REMEMBER...VOICE RECOGNITION.....State: NJ Town: Green Brook. The systems response was "Lincroft" Not even close to Green Brook.
    This may be the tip of the iceberg. How many areas of our country are affected by this flaw? I believe its a problem that exists with ALL 2007 G35's with the NAV system since the problem existed on another G35. I would appreciate feedback.
    Briguy3793@aol.com
  • beark77beark77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Steve,

You are not alone in the US it's also in Canada that I seem to that problem even with streets in the City that I live in it does not recognize the street names give me all sorts of strange listings that are not even close.

I have the G35X 2007 as well, It's going in for it's highly expensive maintenance on Monday not looking forward to the bill but according to warranty has to be done.. Like the 100.00 A/C filter that has to be changed, in Canada, if we are lucky we get to use it 2 months out of the year.. thats another beef for another day..

I am getting the Nav updated by the dealer on Monday so I will see if that makes any difference or not.
    I have an 08 G35x and have seen the same issue at times you say tomato it say rudabegga not even close. I had the problem with South Hampton I than manualy set it as a destination to get where I was going. it seems not to have a problem with the voice command a second time, does it learn? I live on Long Island and tested voice command NJ city green brook it acknowledged it the first time.
    I have an 08 G35x and have seen the same issue at times you say tomato it say rudabegga not even close. I had the problem with South Hampton I than manualy set it as a destination to get where I was going. it seems not to have a problem with the voice command a second time, does it learn? I live on Long Island and tested voice command NJ city green brook it acknowledged it the first time.

The part of the Navigation I enjoyed most was the salesman demoing it and asking for my address, which it did not have it prompted 100-1999 and I'm at 60. The salesman tried to blow it off as is it a new block, no my house was built in 1949. Anyway when I entered my address in the system it guided me there and placed a house symbol in the right position just on the wrong side of the street. Close only counts in horeshoes, hand grenades and gps
    Our sytems suck (07 G35)...Acura/Honda's is far superior. The fact that I have to pull over when flying down the highway to see anything more than 5 choices of where to eat borders on insane. I enjoy my portable when we take the girlfriend's car MUCH MUCH more. I only got navi in the G for the music-box.
    I actually think its a great Nav, you can use the voice commands to enter your destination if you wish. I personally have never been annoyed by the need to stop in the rare event that I need to use it, its something I can live with, but then again, people are different. On another note, I am no fan of Acuras, never been never will so when I hear their Navs enable this, its a none event for me.

Lexus completly disables the touch screen once in motion. I am not sure about the Germans, but their cars have never been known for their hi-tech interiors so would not be suprised if there isnt much to offer there.

So generally speaking, LEX/Infiniti would be Good Navs, Acura would be Excellent, given that you cant disable them, but then again, who cares about Acura :P
    lol lol Acuras are great cars...just not very muscular and they made the RL look like a hyundai...new TL is hideous though. I have taken long trips and wanted to stop to eat....having 5 options at 80mph is ridiculous. The irony being that I reloaded every few miles to see what else was around....so tell me whats more dangerous lol I could maybe even accept the touch-screen disable...unfortunately, they disable options 6-100 also. Makes no sense. It would have made more sense to tie the touch-screen disable into the passenger seat airbag sensor...that way the attorneys could rest easier at night knowing the the driver has their hands on the wheel while the passenger scrolls around. I passed on navi in my previous two cars, and unless they sucker me in with backup camera and music box on my next car (Prob G37), I will pass on it again. That being said...other than the bad mpgs and the inability to over-ride the recirc button...this car is SPECTACULAR ! !
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Well said. I have a 2004 Acura TL, and while I am looking fwd to getting a G when my lease is up, I will miss the TL's nav.

I very rarely enter my destination at a dead stop. Seems like an oversight that Infiniti didn't provide a voice command to let you scroll to the next screen of destinations (like "next screen").

With points of interest that you save into the system manually, are you able to categorize them? For ex, I have categories like "school" "business" "restaurants". They help me access my poi more quickly. If the G allows that, maybe you can mitigate the issue (at least with your preset poi) by est a lot of categories. Guess that'll only help if you can access categories 6 on with voice?

Anyone ever use an aftermarket hack to disable the restriction?
    LOL, I want to assure of one thing. The last thing that will be on you mind when you move over to the G37 is the Nav in your current Acura. You are going to go through these phases:

1-During break in, you will be enjoying the hi-tech offered, probably downloading some cds into you music box etc.
    2-After break-in you are going to be going wide open throttle, there will come a time when you will think maybe there is too much horsepower in this beast, LOL.
    3- You will realize that 99% of the time, things will go your way on the highway, you can do anything you want, I mean anything.
    4-You will fall in love with the exhaust note, they will be days you will just drive with all windows down, not because its hot, but you just want to listen.

So I am sure you will be able to move on very quickly from the NAV in the Acura, it will be the last thing on your mind.

All the best
    I made the same switch. I couldn't help you with the POI on the navi as I dislike it so much I rarely use it. VERY good upgade, but the car is not without flaws. You will also miss your great highway MPGs...your more comfortable (on long trips) seats....your headlights are brigther (trust me)....though mine articulate which is surprisingly effective....and might be annoyed that the car will force you to suck in other cars exhausts in some situations (Can't override the recirc at times).
    I haven't seen a hack, but my car is a lease, so I haven't looked too hard. The bluetooth setup will make the TL seems like MS DOS vs NT lol But don't try to dial with the touchscreen or the touch phonebook while you drive....that's a NO NO lol
    Break-in? Whats that lol lol
    I did triple-digits on the local highway the first day I got it...the exhaust note and thrust was too tempting !
    I played it safe, although the 1200 mile break in period was toooooooooo long. I have to agree with your point on the exhaust fumes though, at times you will suck them in. I had an IS250 prior to the G and there was a button that would just take the nasty air out and leave the interior smelling fresh again.
  • yuxmyygyuxmyyg Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem exactly the same as yours. I bought 2008 G35xS with Prem, Nav packages in May 2008. After several weeks, I saw the map was spinning from time to time, roughly 2-3 times every 30 minutes. It looked like the GPS lost satellite signal and could not find current location. After 2-3 minutes it was back to normal. But sometimes, the current location showed wrong places, even worse, different roads or parking lots. Many times the guidence was too late for turning.
    I am not sure other people have the similar issues or not.
  • ajohanssonajohansson Member Posts: 6
    Hello from Sweden!
    I have a problem with my FX35 that i shipped from the states...I knew that the Nav system was a problem. Think its locked to US region... but there must be a way to unlock the system and make the Navigation open to all maps...the GPS must be the same all over the world...Hopefully someone could help me with this issue...it must be the same problem on all cars exported to Europe.

I was thinking to either unlock the DVD player...or make a regionfree copy of a europe map would solve it...but i dont know how to do it.

I would be so happy if someone out there can help...Greetings from Sweden//Arne Johansson
  • jenp123jenp123 Member Posts: 39
    Similar question: but rather just get a Navi CD upgrade, is there anyway you can actually get upgraded navigation system entirely. I hate the pop up and no touch screen option, it is just so dated in comparison to my 07 TL. I am not ready to replace the G35 yet, but wonder if in the meantime I could make it seem new again by upgrading the Navigation?
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    If this is in the manual, then I missed it (sorry).

How can you delete entries in the 'Previous Addresses' list in the Routes menu? I am not referring to the 'Stored Routes', or 'Stored Addresses'. Just addresses you have entered and used with Route feature. I would either like to selectively delete some of them, or maybe even all.
  • rockystone23rockystone23 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer? Im trying to sell the car and do not want this info left in the system