Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Started using it @ 5000 miles, have 15K on the Expy now. Change it every 5K, which Ford says I MUST do to maintain the warranty. Ford also requires that I must keep a log and receipts for all my oil changes (that I do myself).

If you believe, as I do, that using synthetic is just a good thing to do, then OK. Ford will not cut you any slack regarding extended mileage between changes. They have only ONE process, and it applies to EVERY Expy. No exceptions.
  • thom3thom3 Member Posts: 2
    I've been thinking of buying a used Expedition, '99-'00. Two vehicles ago, I had a new'97 F150 and loved it. Since then, the IIHS offset crash tests came out and nixed the idea of another F150 pickup. I do not find any record of an offset crash test for the Expedition. Do they consider them the same as the F-150, hence no additional test? I notice the same trend for the Chevy 1500 and Tahoe/Suburban. Is the front end of the Expedition identical to the F150, or are there additional structural modifications that set it apart?
    Thanks for the input.
  • jptjpt Member Posts: 7
    I bought Motocraft 5W20 Oil at Walmart for my last oil change and noticed when I got home that it is a "synthetic blend". Certainly, if the official Motocraft Oil recommended for the engine is somewhat synthetic, there should be no reason to avoid synthetic. I also would avoid the extended drains and do them myself on schedule.

FYI, the oil filter is pretty hard to get to for me. You have to be patient to remove it bit by bit.
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    I own an F150 supercab (2 regular & 2 1/2 doors) similar to the one used in the offset crash test. I think the reason that it fared so poorly in the test is that the design to get the two rear doors was rushed, and the B-pillar is effectively removed. (The B Pillar is the structural beam in most cars that runs vertically behind the front set of doors). The lack of a B Pillar on the F150 seems to allow for too much 'flex' in the cab, and the passenger compartment takes much of the crash energy as a result. Because you have a full B pillar in the Expy, I doubt you would have the same problem. I believe that previous F-150's had decent crash test scores prior to the 4-door supercab intro.

The usual disclaimer: All above is my own opinion, which should not be confused with actual facts or knowledge : )
  • cmitl138cmitl138 Member Posts: 3
    i own a 1998 eddie bauer expedition 4wd
    shopping for tires could use some insight
    i have the goodyears on now
    looking into michelin or bf goodrich any ideas please let me know
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    Yokohama, a great improvement over stock. Also try Pirelli.
    We have Michelin LTX M/S on our 2001. Totally great tires. Transformed the handling & steering are compared to the original Firerocks. Quiet on the highway, perfectly adequate for light off-roading and superb traction in the snow.
  • s76drvrs76drvr Member Posts: 15
    Looking at other sites, the concensus is with Michelin Cross Terrains or BFG's KO's. I'm planning on going with the Cross Terrains myself. Going to larger size also. I have 255x75x16's right now.
  • mrtuxmrtux Member Posts: 2
    Any data of 2000 vs 1999 would be helpful. Need to get the vehicle in the next 3 weeks. Any good experiences with Warrantybynet extended warranties?
  • meridian1meridian1 Member Posts: 6
    This is an esoteric question. I am about to order a 2003 Expedition. Does anyone know if the radio will be equipped for the new Sirrus or XM satellite radio services?
  • ljsparksljsparks Member Posts: 1
    We have an 98 EB with 5.4L. This weekend I noticed the truck had poor pickup(Not sure how long this was going on since Wife's truck) Thursday a sparkplug blows out from head. Called dealer since this seemed pretty unusual. Truck has 61K miles. Dealer says could have been bad plug, coil or week casting of head. Needless to say, big $. Has anyone heard of this problem on Expeditions or in general? Thanks
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    There is a known problem with left side cylinder heads. It may not be as bad as you think as Ford is offering assistance to correct the problem. There is also a known problem with cracked blocks due to some machining debris getting caught between the cylinder head and the block which can get pressed into the block and cause it to leak at the head gasket. The last line of the TSB reads "if the depression is more than .001" deep, replace the motor". That is one fifth the thickness of a hair for those keeping track!
  • codavecodave Member Posts: 6
    Alwaysford, can you copy/paste the TSB re: 5.4 engine into the forum? I think you also mentioned earlier you weren't dripping oil but having to add - how much were you adding? Were you getting oil in the antifreeze? Were you able to see the evidence of your problem or did the dealer have to check?
    I was definately dripping, but it didn't make it to the ground. It was hitting the exhaust and burning off. I didn't have any swapping of fluids. You can see the evidence underneath if you look at the rear of the motor on the passenger side - go under with a flashlight. Under normal situations everything should be nice and dry. It was going at about a quart every 500 miles, and if I hadn't checked it on a whim (not sure why I did) it would have run dry.I will get the TSB info from my home computer and post it in the next day or so.
    Head Gasket - Right Hand Side Oil Leak
    Article No
    01-12-2

06/25/01

ENGINE - OIL LEAK FROM RIGHT SIDE HEAD
    GASKET AREA - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH
    4.6L/5.4L WINDSOR ENGINE ONLY - SERVICE TIPS

ISSUE
    On some vehicles there may be an oil leak from the right hand head gasket at the rear of the block/head joint. This may be caused by metal chip debris lodged between the head gasket and the block.
    ACTION
    Verify oil leak. Inspect for metal chips, impressions or dimples in the metal at the right bank cylinder head and block deck areas behind cylinder 4 at the area of the cast triangular recess in the cylinder head deck. Also inspect around the oil hole breakout in the block deck. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
    CYLINDER HEAD DECKS
    If such damage is spotted, check for flatness with a straight edge over the dimple or impression. If the dimple or impression on the head measures over .025 mm (.001 ") deep, the cylinder head, gasket and bolts should be replaced with new. Refer to the parts listing table that follows.
    CYLINDER BLOCK DECKS
    Check for flatness with a straight edge over the dimple or impression. If the dimple or impression measures over .025 mm (.001") deep, the engine should be replaced.
    Alwaysford, thanks for the info. My oil consumption is up to about 1 qt every 1500 miles, getting high for normal. On occ I have had a couple drops on the floor, and I have a burning oil smell after longer drives. I've been avoiding checking, first because of the cost, but now that I hear I won't have to eat it all it is mostly having to hassle with the two bad dealers near me. If I have a leak I might drive to a better dealer.

Thanks for the TSB. I mentioned my problem at one dealer a few weeks ago and they said that Ford would never be replacing a motor for an oil leak and there hasn't been any problems reported. I wanted to ask if they ever read the TSBs, but since I hadn't read it yet, only heard of it, I thought I should bite my tongue at the time.
    Not a problem. Obviously I just put in the major points, the actual bulletin has pics, part lists, etc. The repair for mine took 3 days, but it was just a head replacement not the whole motor. I did get a lot of other little things for my $500 - new plugs all around, coolant flush and fill, new gaskets on the other cylinder head, oil and filter. Overall not too bad for $500, especially since it could have been $2500.
    Where are these two bad dealers?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Everything’s different, even though it looks the same. Ford’s has upped the large SUV ante with an impressive, all-new Expedition.

First Drive: 2003 Ford Expedition

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/59644/article.html

It may not look much different, but the 2003 version of Ford's Expedition is practically a whole new vehicle from the ground up. But is it enough to overtake the competition?

tidester

Host

SUVs

• giridgirid Member Posts: 19
    I am being quoted one for $898 above invoice (for the options I want), and $131 below Edmunds TMV. Not one dealer quote from the ones I got was higher than 1400 above invoice. Unbelievable huh? Can anyone else share what they are getting (especially people that have already ordered)
    thanks in advance
    Alwaysford, I checked. It looks like I have a small leak on the passenger side. Not a big mess, but more then I would like and more then the driver's side. On the driver's side there is a slight line of oil along the gasket. On the passenger side oil is running oil the block and onto the engine mount, etc.

As for the dealers I have had some trouble with... both on the south side of metro Denver. Courtesy Ford has no concept of service in their service dept. Not only that, the service writers tend not to come across as knowledgeable. The technicians seems to know what they are doing, but ... The quick lube has good service and does a good job. This is just my experiences, but I have tried them several times and service has been terrible.
    Medved Ford is relatively new. I have only had an oil change and tire rotation there, but when I looked over and saw all my tires in a pile I knew I had problems. The technician had no idea which location they came from or where to put them. Not much to go on for the overall all dealership, but... A friend with Chevy to her Trailblazer in for an oil change with the adjacent Medved Chevorlet and after the oil change it wouldn't start. Three weeks later she got her vehicle back. While we would like to blame this on it being a Chevy, there were too many unanswered phone calls, forgetting to order parts, etc. for my comfort. Not much experience here, but I would take my vehicles to either.
    Just my opinions above. Courtesy does have some of the best prices around. Largest Expedition dealership there is. Good deals, poor service (in sales and service departments).
    I guess a drive to CT is out of the question!
    Hmmm, vacation to CT, spend several days with a rental car seeing the sights while Ford works on the Expedition... If I wait until the fall colors... Hmmm...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Power launch of new Expedition

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • pduffy4pduffy4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new Expy 2002 on April 28. Within 24 hours, battery so dead it would not hold a charge. Dealership replaced the battery and within 24 hours the battery was dead again. I towed the brand new vehicle back to the Dealership. The dealership allegedly fixed an improperly grounded wire on starter and installed a new battery. Waited one day, tried to pick up today from the dealership, battery again dead. I have had this new truck 7 days and it has been inoperable 7 out of the 7 days. This truck has less than 18 miles on it. Does this problem seem familiar to anyone or am I smelling a lemon ?

I have owned multiple Fords and have never had this much problem with a new truck.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
  • 390gt390gt Member Posts: 17
    Ford should make an extended length version to compete with the Yukon XL. It might cut into Excursion sales but it would probably outsell the Yukon XL, which the Excursion does not do.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    All the promotional stuff for the 2003 Expedition makes it look desirable. I'm vexed by the lack of activity in this forum. Am I in the wrong place?

Q: Will it need premium gas?
    I posted my quote for a new 2003 days ago and no responses whatsoever on either of the 2 boards. These boards are dead!
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    I was looking to buy another Jeep Grand Cherokee, but am now leaning toward a used 98-00 Expedition. Probably an Eddie Bauer. Most likely 2WD, but will consider 4WD. I have a 99 F-150 with the 5.4 engine. (I know about the gasket problem with that motor, but haven't experienced it...yet). Anyone who owns one of these great beasts care to toss up some pointers on what to look for when buying one? Any major differences between these year models? Should I run the other direction, or buy two of them? Any comments appreciated.
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    Well, you will enjoy an Expedition much more then a Jeep. Last auto show I went and sat in a brand new Jeep and I have to say that the seats are horrible. The Expedition seats are much better. I have a 4.6 Expy and havent had any problems yet. Iam at 100K miles exactly. Its a 1997. BTW, I also own an F150. The major difference between a 97-98 and a 99-02 is the front bumper. The 99+ has one that is almost all plastic. I heard about the gasket problem also but dont know of any one thats had it. Good luck finding a new truck, you can never go wrong with a Ford.
  • expy2003jjexpy2003jj Member Posts: 1
    I have received two quotes for a 2003 Expedition XLT Premium 4WD with Advance trac, power moonroof, premium stereo/CD changer, reverse sensing system & safety canopy.
    Quote 1: $612 over TMV. The dealer indicated this quote was $400 over invoice.
    Quote 2: -$262 below TMV and any additional applicable incentive (if available) once the vehicle is deliver. The dealer indicated this qoute was at invoice.
    Anything at or over TMV means you are paying too much. You should get something at invoice or within 500 over invoice
  • 3dglasses3dglasses Member Posts: 11
    I'm geting close to purchasing a 99 Expedition and would like to get more info on EXACTLY
    how to spot the right side head gasket problem

TSB: 01-12-2 JUN 01 Head Gasket - Right Hand Side Oil Leak .

The truck came off lease with 47k and I should be able to spot any oil leaks by now. I noticed that 'alwaysford' posted a partial cut/paste of the TSB in a post but I am looking for more detailed info on reconizing the problem myself (photos?). Anyway let me know, I'm taking out the truck tomorrow afternoon and would like to get some insight if this truck has the defect.

Thanks in advance!
    You are not going to notice the problem where the vehicle is parked, you need to look at the car itself. The leak is such that the oil drips onto the exhaust and burns away before it has a chance to get to the ground. To look directly at the source of the leak you will need to go under the right hand side of the motor, and follow the exhaust to where it starts to turn up towards the header. If you look beyond the exhaust pipe at that point you will be looking at the rear of the cylinder head. All should be dry and dusty up there. (In general, the underside of the vehicle should always look dry and dusty). If it looks overly clean you should be suspect of a steam cleaning job to remove the leaking oil. If it is a Ford dealer selling the car, you could also ask if it has had the heads replaced, it should be in it's service record.
    I took the truck for an extended drive today (25 miles up to 80 Mph) and all seems well. Very slight vibration from the right front. Crawled under and got a good look athe the rear of the passenger head. It looks the same as the drivers side, little dirty/dusty but no sigh of oil so I think I'm safe. I'll run the vin for carfax but all the bumber and fender bolts look original with no sins. The interior is a little beat up, some stains in the rear seats but I think I can get it cleaned up (I prefer cloth over leather here in Florida, it was about 92 degrees today). It has not been detailed so I'm pretty sure the engine has not been cleaned up. There is the normal oil spillage around the filter (from changes) and very little wear/tear underneath (Florida car). Thanks for the info!

Scott
  • nyrhkyfannyrhkyfan Member Posts: 1
    I Just placed an order "today" for a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition. My local dealer quoted me $465 "under invoice". Options included the DVD entertainment system, heated/cooled seats, power moonroof & 3rd Row Power Seat.

No hassles at all, the dealer was more than willing to work off of the invoice I had downloaded from consumer reports. They even acknowledged the $1236 dealer holdback from Ford and gave me some of that to close the deal.

Now, I just have to wait to see how long it takes to get the thing built & delivered. Can't wait!
    Assuming you are in New York, right? That is a really good price. Congratulations! What is the delivery timeframe? Also, did you have to give them a non-refundable deposit of $500?
    Congrats! That price looks great. I'm in the X-plan and it still looks good! Let us know what you think about the vehicle on delivery. Care to share your invoice price with us? Holdbacks are hard to get a piece of. Again Conrats!
  • 03tahoe03tahoe Member Posts: 83
    Seems that a loose ground on the starter motor might cause hard starting more so then running down a battery. If you didn`t have hard starting problems I think that they were blowing smoke - had to say they did something. Hopefully they have verified that the alternator circuit is o.k.
    Would be interested to ask if service troops has checked for high parasitic current levels. They should at the least monitor current drains immediately after motor shut down and again after 30 minutes, Strongly suspect you have a unusual permanent current drain from some defective device. If so they can remove a fuse at a time to see what circuit is causing the drain.
    There are some very sensitive clamp type current meters which work with a fluke or other good multimeter. Of course the advantage of clamp meters is that you don`t open the circuits which could allow the condition to change.

Don`t shoot me for my name on this board. Since no one else seemed to help I thought I would add my 2 cents.
    Will test drive a new Ford SUV since I am very unhappy with the lack of options from Chevy. May even buy a NAV. At least will try several brands. Just thought I would check out this site to see what concerns your gang.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford Smoothes Out Truck-Like Expedition Suv

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Careful on the head problem - just because it isn't there now does not mean you are "safe". It didn't show up on mine until 50k, and then it came on catastrophically - 4.5 quarts in 1000 miles.
  • meridian1meridian1 Member Posts: 6
    Wow! I ordered my 2003 EB at $100 over invoice and thought I was doing great. When I asked on antother forum (about pricing) I was excoriated for suggesting that I ought to take a run at some of that holdback. Now I'm wondering.
    Hmm, I thought the oil leaking from the head should show up early in life. Should I just stay away from a 99? I can't afford a 'new' one but is there any REAL way to be sure that the right side head won't leak on a 99? Am I better of with a 2000? Any list of VINs or such that can help me rule out the head problem?
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    In response to some recent questions:
    The 2003 does not offer satellite radio.

It uses regular gasoline.

Some dealers have received vehicles.
    Like I said with the head problem, the best way to be sure you won't have the problem is to be sure someone else already had it fixed. That is why I suggested checking the service records.
  • missy778missy778 Member Posts: 1
    In the market to buy an expedition. Is the 5.4L engine a better choice than the 4.6L?
    I found a litle more info on the head gasket problem w/ 99 EXP:

Component Description:
    ENGINE:GASKETS NHTSA Number: SB612444
    Bulletin Number: 13846
    Bulletin Date: FEB 2000
    Vehicle: 1999 Ford Expedition
    Summary:SOME VEHICLES BUILT 7/1998 TO 6/1999 EQUIPPED WITH A 4.6 / 5.4L WINSOR BUILT ENGINES MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK FROM THE CYLINDER HEAD GASKET AREA. ENGINES MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK FROM THE CYLINDER HEAT GASKET AREA.

So the question is how do I determine when the EXP was built? Thanks in advance...
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    There may be a sticker on the driver side B-pillar that shows the build date. The B-pillar is the post on the car where the door latches. The sticker will be near the latch.
    If you live near sea level, never tow anything, have no real need for 4x4 capability (you are looking to buy a 4x2 instead of a 4x4), and never intend to load your vehicle close to capacity, the 4.6L engine might be perfect for you. You'll even get much better gas mileage

Here in Denver at 5000+ ft elevation, the 4.6 engine is woefully underpowered compared to the 5.4, especially in a 4x4 configuration. Every time we drive our Expy into the mountains, I'm glad we bought the 5.4.

It all depends on what you intend to use your Expy for.
    Bought 2003 Expy, EB 2WD for $250 below invoice price!!!