Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Clutch & Transmission Questions

Comments

• cracker2225cracker2225 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, there. I never received the e-mail chain, although at this point I don't think it would make much difference for me. I had a massive transmission failure at about 70k (2002 Mini Cooper) and elected to have my transmission repaired at a local independent BMW shop for 8k, as opposed to paying 12k at the dealer in San Francisco. However, since I didn't have the work done at a dealership, I don't think I would get anywhere with Mini USA. When my transmission expired, Mini USA informed me via e-mail that I was basically out of luck since my extended warranty ended at 50k. I still feel outraged by this treatment by both Mini USA and Mini of San Francisco, who never even returned my calls.
  • minimad2minimad2 Member Posts: 1
    Sadly, I too have had a very similar experience - not on an '04 Mini, but on an '05. Clutches are clearly an ongoing issue with these cars, but one that the company refuses to acknowledge, chosing instead to pass the blame (quite criminally) back to the consumer.

I generally to not repost messages that I've posted to other forums, but I'm really adamant about getting the word out here, so I'm making an exception.

I recently filed this complaint with consumer affairs:

Clutch problems seem to be a recurring theme on this page. So I thought I would add my experience to the mix.

At about 19,000 miles, the clutch on my 2005 Mini Cooper S convertible began groaning during takeoff (ie, while moving from a full stop into first gear). I mentioned this to the dealer in San Francisco during an appointment to fix a non-related issue, and she later informed me that the clutch was in fact wearing and would soon need to be replaced. She added, much to my surprise, that my warranty would not cover it. Terms of the warranty cover clutch replacement only after 30,000 miles.

I took issue with this and, after posting to an online forum, was contacted my a Mini National Customer Service rep, who agreed to look into getting me full coverage.

Several months later, and after much back and forth with the rep (who for the record was very patient and courteous) the end result was this: Mini agreed to cover 50% of the cost, but only on condition that I agreed up front to shoulder the other 50%.

Though I'm paraphrasing, their reasoning was this: if a clutch needs replacement within 30,000 miles, it must be due to driver abuse.

This really blew me over. What a blatant leap in logic. From my standpoint, if a clutch needs to be replaced within 30K (or just 19K in this case), it's a pretty clear indication that the clutch itself is deficient or defective in some way. To provide some background here, I am 37 years old and have owned stick vehicles exclusively since I first got my license 21 years ago. I have never, ever, ever gone through a clutch in less than 70K, and have seen them last well beyond 100K on vehicles that I've owned. There is no way that the problem I'm experiencing is due to abuse on my part, and the mere suggestion is just absurd and proof of this company's refusal to stand behind its product.

Other postings here on Consumer Affairs prove clearly that I am not alone on this issue.

Furthermore, I have spoken to various mechanics (from BMW) who have confirmed that these cars have clutch issues. My service adviser at Mini in San Francisco even admitted as much, but kept insisting her hands were tied by corporate policy. So, in the end, the dealer is bound by corporate, and corporate passes the blame right back to the consumer. What a fantastic business model!!!

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing or recommending any other Mini's. I've also decided against taking the company up on their 50% offer. Though that may sound absurd, my local mechanic wants $1200 to do the whole job. Mini quoted me $1800 for the work, $900 of which I would owe. I will gladly pay $300 extra to see an honest man perform an honest day's work before I'll see another nickel of my hard-earned pay in the hands of these clowns.

You can find this complaint, along with many others, on the consumer affairs website here (just do a text search on "clutch" and you'll see what I mean).

This company is behaving just shamefully, and consumers need to know. Knowledge is power!
  • cracker2225cracker2225 Member Posts: 8
    My experience with Mini of San Francisco was similar to yours, except no one even did me the courtesy of calling me back regarding my failed transmission at 70k. Mini USA also told me that my transmission failure could be related to the way I drive or to different "geographical conditions". As you know, we don't get alot of snow or inclement weather out here, so neither "argument" made sense. I love my Mini but I would think twice before getting another one (and certainly not at Mini of San Francisco).
  • mspeppermspepper Member Posts: 7
    Go to message #162 where there is a link to Consumer Affairs - I usually never go to this length but after reading everyone's complain about the same issue- transmission failure, our voices should unite and hopfully there will some good that will come out of it. As of now most of us are all out $7,000 +/- except those who got lucky and received help from Mini customer Service. To those that received help - more power to you!
  • tammy21063tammy21063 Member Posts: 2
    MY 2008 AUTOMATIC MINI OCCASIONALLY DISPLAYS A SPROCKET SHAPE WITH AN EXCLAMATION POINT INDICATOR LIGHT WHEN I TURN IT OFF. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN EVERY TIME I TURN MOTOR OFF. NO PROBLEM WITH PERFORMANCE. HAVE ANY OTHER MINI OWNERS EXPERIENCED THIS??????
  • mspeppermspepper Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I went ahead and fixed my transmission through an independent as well. I found a person who is trying to get signatures together for a class action suit. If you are interested, here is her email address: no2@numba-tu.com

I believe she is in San Francisco as well. There is strength in numbers.

How is your Mini driving now or did you get rid of it?
  • miccrabmiccrab Member Posts: 1
    My transmission just went at 66000 miles, 2003 mini cooper. I have 1 month left on my extended warranty. Does anyone know if I'm going to have a problem collecting, never dealt with extended warranties before.

I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it, but can only get 7000 from a dealer. My sunroof (moonroof) has leaked since day 1, fixed it once, but didn't last. My air conditioning has never worked. I have owned it for 2 years.

The dealer is about 2 hrs away so I have been taking it to private mechanics. The tires cost me almost 1000. and a new muffler cost me about 1000. From the sound of it I'll be lucky if I don't have more transmission problems even after puchasing a new one.
  • winniepwinniep Member Posts: 18
    I have collected about 60 people whom I have been in contact with who also had the same problem. My car failed at less than 60K miles. I know at least one person who was not able to collect through the extended warranty. If you would like to join us, please write me at no2@numba-tu.com. Thanks! -winnie
  • wilemakeitwilemakeit Member Posts: 17
    I am looking for a 2003 Mini.....Let me know if you want to sell it and where you live? A few words about it and pictures can be sent to: wilemakeit@aol.com
  • bashmichelbashmichel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 mini that makes clutch noise on almost all my shifts from 1st gear. When I complained to the dealer I was told that is common in 2005 and 2006 and there was nothing they would do about it. I was also told it is not under warrenty. Reading other peoples clutch problems in this forum I see some say they were covered under warrenty and some people had their clutch "de-glazed"? The dealer told me if it makes this noise all the time my clutch is going out. I only have 32k on the car and have never heard of a clutch going out with that few miles. I am very disappointed because I thought BMW had a reputation for excellence. I am thinking about selling my car but how can I when it makes that noise? I asked the dealer this and he just shrugged his shoulders. What have other people done about this noise?
  • reminthornreminthorn Member Posts: 6
    Our's is a 2008. From delivery, it made a strange noise when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Kind of the noise the front brakes make on a 21 speed bike when you hit them hard. Anyway, the dealer has deglazed the clutch 3 times now and the noise has pretty much disappeared. We're at 6,000 miles now.
    Update on our clutch/transmission noise. Our car would make a metallic sound when downshifting mainly from 3rd to 2nd. Our Mini dealer deglazed the clutch 3 times and the noise improved. Mini has a new Service Bulletin out #210107 which says "the clutch and dual mas flywheel have an unfavorable tolerance." They removed the transmission and replaced the clutch assembly. So far...no noise!
  • josbornjosborn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Mini Cooper S with a John Cooper Works package. The first and still unresolved problem is that if the car is left unlocked the battery will go dead. I took it to the dealer in Orlando, FL three times and had the battery replaced because the dealer said that they were having a lot of problems with the Mini batteries. The fourth time they said that they would not replace the battery because the car was not maintained properly. The car only had fifteen thousand miles on it at two years of ownership. The definition I was given for properly maintaining my car was that it had to be driven at least forty miles in one direction everyday. The battery could not be replaced at no charge but, I could buy a new one from Mini and they would give me a trickle charger for free. I bought an Inter-State battery and wrote my sales person and asked to be reimbursed. I was reimbursed.

Later I did my own investigation and found that the computer would shut down (car unlocked) in two modes: Proper shut down would be with a draw of 15 milli amps. on the battery. Occasionally the computer would not shut the system down properly and a draw of 90 milliamps draw was left on the battery. This is what killed the battery when not driven for two days. So armed with my test information off to the dealer I went.

The dealer could not verify the problem and said that I should lock the car and it should be OK. Locking cures the problem.

Second problem is a groaning clutch at start–off and what may be gear chatter or clutch noise when car is driven or in neutral with clutch out. Push clutch in an all chattering goes away. I have replaced two clutches and one flywheel, as well as having the transmission torn down by two independent service organizations and the noises are still there. So after spending a bunch of money, I went to the dealer. Paid a $ 127.00 diagnostic fee to be told by the Tech, “They all do that no matter what clutch or flywheel that is installed BMW or After Market they all do it”. He continued to say, “They could replace the clutch for $ 27,000 but the noise will come back”. He explained that there is an unbalance in the Transmission and Clutch assembly that they are looking into with balancers but no solution has been found.

Third problem is a rough idle that develops that goes away when the AC is shut off or the engine is revved. Don’t know what it is and don’t want to take it to the dealer.

I think the only thing I can do is to sell the car to a person that is hard of hearing.

Extremely Disappointed.
  • epg3epg3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Mini Cooper S had a hesitation and a cluck sound a couple of times when changing gears...then three days ago I drove it and it would only go about 22 mph. It felt the same the way it would feel, starting out in 4 gear from a stop. I had 3/4 miles to get home and it just became slower...made it home...waited 20 min and when I started the car it sounded and felt just fine, except one thing; it would not even move...no matter what gear it was in. Nota an inch! It has normal miles for a 2004.

The closest Mini service is over a 100 miles. Does anyone know what this could be, I have no clue?
  • nxyv2277nxyv2277 Member Posts: 3
    I have only 49K on my 2002 Mini and is now at the shop because my transmission is out.It's going to cost me about $6,000. My mechanic said that the Company knows about this problem and he said that there was a lawsuit being started. So yes I'm very interested in giving you my email so that I can know the Status of the law suit. My email is flacky100@aol.com.
    Thanks
    No I don't have a Mini S. I don't know what caused it to fail, one day it just died on me. My mechanic showed me the part that broke though. I considered an extended warranty as well maybe I will get one after all this is overwith.
    I hear you I bought my car about a year an a half ago and I don't know much about my Warranty, I'm trying to find out if my car still had one or if it is out but I agree these cars may look cool but they are a PAIN!.
  • omaloneomalone Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2003 Mini with 18,500 miles and which I have enjoyed a lot. Largely but not entirely trouble free UNTIL NOW. It's a shopping car that has never been very far from home. While down shifting the other day to accelerate on to a busy hwy, I heard a loud thump and the clutch went dead. I coasted to safety on the shoulder and found there was no clutch action at all. Engine, heater, radio, etc all running okay . There had been no indication of any clutch problem. A nearby independent opined that both the transmission and maybe the clutch had to be replaced---- and at great expense. Suggested the car be taken to Mini where given the very low mileage some price saving might be available. So my Mini was trucked to Mini of Sterling, Va (its birthplace), where the "Out of Warranty" hymn is now being sung .Awaiting my fate I share this tale with bated breath because misery is said to ,like company
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Over my dead body and I'm unanmious in that.
    As Charleton Heston said " They will have to pry my rifle from my cold dead hands."
    Seriously, unless you have money to throw away do it. I'am not a Grinch, she has a BMW 530i . I think a Mini is a girl thing. :shades:
  • marcusian01marcusian01 Member Posts: 3
    i have a cooper 2003 too. my clucth went out with no warning.so i think.i bought it used with 62k i have 75k now,it's always been smooth clutch but now it squeel like a pig,when i turn it on. everything else works fine,like if something is rubbing when it is on. like the belts. now i can't drive it but need to run dianostics on it.what can it be? anyone know?i don't think is the clutch, or do they go out without warning? :sick:
  • dbw477dbw477 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 mini with 58,000 miles. The car makes a very loud clicking or rattling noise when its cold and sometimes when hot. I took it to a good mechanic and he told me there was something wrong with the transmission, it would cost $800-$2000. when I took it to the dealer, they couldn't hear the noise since the engine was warm. I made an appt for february. do you have any information on the lawsuit that was filed?
    Go to post 114 and I think PF Flyer posted a link, as you can't form a class action suit on Edmunds, but there is one.
    Also, alot here have posted 1- 800 #'s to call.
    I guess if you can afford it. You should own it for 50k and sell it and buy another.
    I don't just go by Edmunds any more as they rate cars for example a 7.4and the owners rate them a 9.3 Also, dealers quote Edmunds alot.There are alot of options out there especially Consumer Reports data where you can track inherit problems over 4 years or so.
  • kristylee1kristylee1 Member Posts: 1
    Hiya there, perhaps you kind folks can help me...

A few days ago i noticed my mini had a lot less power than i was used to.

At first i thought it was the air conditioning sapping a bit of the power, but even then it seemed like quite a drop in power. The car is making a strange whiney revving noise, (like a scooter or something). I tried to get up a bigish hill, which i would usually be able to easily speed up at 80kmph, but i was struggling to get it up at 50kmph! As this is happening, the air con would come on or go off randomly, regardless of whether its turned on or off. It has been very hot here (43 degrees celsius) but would the heat really effect the power of the car?

I took it into BMW, the guy thought nothing much of the loud revving noise (i might be a young woman, but im not a fool and i know when my car isn''t driving the way it should be) and asked me if i was using premium petrol (i am).
    My car is an automatic, but I have been reading lots about transmission problems with the mini, mine was in the shop a few months ago with the power steering failure, luckily its still under warranty so it didn''t cost me anything to fix. Its still under warranty.
    Does this sound like a common problem?
    any tips on what i can ask them to look into when it goes into the shop next week?
    I really dont want to think i have bought a lemon, my dad tried to talk me into getting a Hyundai Getz (also sold as the Hyundai Click or Hyundai TB).
    was he right?

Thanks!
  • CeeeeCeeeeCeeeeCeeee Member Posts: 25
    I purchased my automatic trans Mini @ 44,000 miles from a local Mini dealer. It seems like yesterday! My car now has 60K miles on it and I haven't even had to take it in (yet) for its first servicing under my ownership. About two weeks ago, I drove it out of my driveway and made it halfway down the block before the car stopped! The engine sounded great. It just wouldn't go forward or in reverse! I didn't even have time to coast it over to the side of the road. I had it towed to the same dealership from where I purchased it. Diagnosis: needed new transmission. When I purchased the car I was told it would be under warranty for 100,000 miles or 6 years. Now they tried to tell me this meant a "maintenance warranty". Wait a minute! Why would I have purchased a car with 44,000 miles on it without a warranty on the major systems! In fact, the gal who was telling me the transmission wasn't covered was the same gal who sold me the car!!!!! They did cover the transmission replacement....not just a rebuild, but....a total replacement! Car drives like a new car but it did so up until the minute it just died in the middle of the road. I googled "Mini Cooper transmissions" and found out this is a problem with ALL automatics. So, even with a new transmission, my fear is this will happen again and I won't be as fortunate as I was the first time. What if I'm in the fast lane of the freeway and it just dies on me! Bye! Bye! My life! I feel totally unsafe driving this car.
    Even though my 2004 Mini's automatic transmission was replaced "free" by the dealer, my main concern is that this new transmission will also "die" and it will happen at a place which is totally unsafe....like on the freeway in the middle of traffic moving at 80 mph! When my transmission died, it died INSTANTLY.....no power AT ALL. Fortunately, I was in the middle of my block on a residential street and there was no traffic around me. This car is a fatal accident waiting to happen, given its history of transmission problems. I'm ready to sign up for making an honest entity out of Mini sellers!
    I think you should of listen to your father.Alot of fun rides out there you can deal on.The Nissan 2dr or a 350 Z maybe an Acura Types S ,if you can find one.
    Take your car and have a diagnostic test done. Dealer will charge $100.00 or so. Some people go to VIP and have it hooked to their computer to find problems. (could be free too) It could be something simple like an oxygen sensor.
    However, the loss of power sound like your tranny. I have a post on
    here. My wife has a BMW 530 and was having it serviced and her mechanic said to stay away from the Mini.She wanted a drive around town car and thought it was cute. It is a head turner but every time you turn around you're out a few thousand.
    Hey, good luck. :shades:
  • stephx52stephx52 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

My car suddenly died a few days ago, and when I took it to the dealership they told me I had burned my clutch out, and that I needed to replace it for $2250. Now, my car is a year old, still under the 3 year warranty, and only has 14k miles on it. Is it really possible for me to burn out the clutch THAT quickly? I mean, yeah I did burn it out on accident once on a hill, but that was months ago and the clutch wasn't slipping immediately prior to break down. What can I do?
    It seems as though the best kept secret about the Mini is that standard transmission clutches are defective and automatic transmission transmissions are worthless, as well! Either way, it is one very expensive car to own! Plus, the inconvenience of REPEATED breakdowns wherever you happen to be ......out in the boonies or on the freeway going 80 miles an hour! With the clutch and transmission repairs costing $2,200/$7,000 EACH time the problem occurs, the Mini is a Major headache! From what I've read on this forum......these serious problems do reoccur.....for some, annually! I am ready to torch mine!
    I guess it's possible that you could burn out a clutch that fast. Our's seemed to be defective from the gitgo and was replaced under warranty at 6,490 miles. There's a Mini Bulletin on this #210107. Our new clutch assembly has started making the same noises after 5,000 miles so my guess is it's a lousy design. This is our 3rd and last Mini! Suggest you contact Mini Customer Service and see if they can help.
    Steph, fix it and sell it.
  • jrosario03jrosario03 Member Posts: 1
    My transmission is broken and need to replace it. Does anyone know if a 6 speed transmission will fit?
  • abjnabjn Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a manual '03 Cooper S with under 50k and I've recently had problems with the shifter not going into gear, any of the gears. The clutch doesn't feel any differently than before, so I don't think the problem is there, but the shifter acts as if it is frozen or stuck in neutral. It does this when the car is running and when it sits parked. It then un-sticks itself and drives like normal, either minutes or a day or so later. The weather has been a bit colder, under 25, but we experienced below 0 temps this winter and it didn't act up then. Has this happened to anyone else? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
  • sailordansailordan Member Posts: 1
    Could you please send me email chain....I am in the same predicament. Thanks
    a bunch
  • ramquistramquist Member Posts: 7
    I need an email address
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Please do not post email addresses on the forums. If you wish another member to have access to you email address, click on the Forum Preferences link and change your email setting to "public". This will allow registered forums users, and only registered CarSpace forums users, to see your email address by clicking on your username.
  • winniepwinniep Member Posts: 18
    your email address is listed as private and I can't send you an email with info. If you could unlock it for today, I will check back later. (In regards to class action)
  • sadminisadmini Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Mini with 103,000 miles on it and the transmission suddenly went out. The dealer quoted me at $9,000 to repair the it, which is essentially the value of the car. Has anyone had any luck with extended warranties or with the dealer?
  • bfromholdbfromhold Member Posts: 38
    Wow, sorry to hear that! :( Was the repair quote from the MINI dealer... I know you mentioned a dealer, but not sure if it was specially MINI? You should check with a reputable transmission shop that specializes in MINIs. Their quotes have got to be cheaper than $9,000. We've got a few repair facilities that work on MINIs here in WA State, but I'm not sure where you live.
  • kac035kac035 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, I bought my 2003 MINI out after my lease last year, and just financed the remaining payment, roughly around $9K in loans. (Blue book value around 9K)
    I had planned to pay it down for another year and then use it as a trade in or sell it to CarMax.

Unfortunately, my automatic transmission has died on me abruptly, to the estimate of $7500 from a local mechanic to replace. (It's out of warranty)

I called MINI customer service, who suggested I tow it out to their dealership so they could take a look. I am hoping for either a goodwill repair, or having them give me a good deal on a trade in for the broken MINI.

Anybody have any other options or ideas?

I tried taking it to Toyota for a trade in estimate, which is putting $2500 on it. Which still leaves me $6500 in upside down loans.

My only saving grace is that I live in the city and could make do without a car for a while. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    I will never buy another MINI knowing what I now know about the transmission/clutch problems. I have decided to drive my 2004 MINI with its new factory installed transmission....courtesy of the dealership which sold me this car just a few thousand miles ago and tried to tell me the replacement of this transmission wasn't covered....into the ground. I will then give it to the Salvation Army. Have you had to replace a tire yet? Another "Gulp!!!!!"
  • mjbaughmanmjbaughman Member Posts: 2
    I am having the 2nd clutch put into my 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible within 50K miles. The first clutch was put into the vehicle at 18K miles and was covered under warranty. The latest adventure this week resulted in a call from MINI service yesterday telling me it would cost me $2600 minimum to have the clutch replaced. When I explained to the gentleman at Dreyer & Reinbold in Indpls that I had already had 1 clutch replaced under warranty and that I didnt feel I should be responsible for another faulty clutch 32K miles later, he said he would check into it. I just received a call telling me they were going to handle the full clutch repair under warranty again.

It sounds like, even though I have been frustrated by what is obviously a known clutch issue with the Mini Coopers from 2005, I am at least fortunate to be working with a dealership who stands behind their products. I enjoy the car very much, but knowing what I know today, not sure I would purchase another one.
    In addition to the 2004 MINI, I also have a 2003 BMW 525i and both dealerships share the same lot/garage/etc. Today, I was having the BMW serviced and I happened to mention "my other car", the MINI. Well, first question was, "How do you like it?" I explained about the automatic transmission problems and the clutch problems, as well. I said I was not the only one. The person's response was, "Well, you are not hearing from the 9000+ other MINI owners who are satisfied." Yeah, right!
  • kac035kac035 Member Posts: 3
    Update, the dealership has called me back saying they will give me no money at all towards the trade in, so I am out $9000. Customer service will not return my calls. Anybody have an email address for them?
  • vetventurevetventure Member Posts: 1
    In the continuing saga of my mini cooper experience, new clutch at 2200 miles,new oil pump 6000 miles, 4th set of tires at 13000 miles. Failed ball joint and knuckle joint on passenger side 14000 miles. Complained of excessive oil use 3 quarts in 1000 miles no smoke or oil on the driveway. Dealer discovered oil leaking from rear engine oil seal removed seal to find crankshaft had over 1/2 inch of play that had effectively destroyed all main bearings. Engine, transmission and clutch plus front end were replaced under warranty within $4000.00 of the value of the car. Why they just did not give me a new one I'll never know. The crankshaft problem meant that only 70% of the clutch contacted the flywheel which caused scorching and excessive wear. Have your dealers check the crankshaft if your clutch is failing early.
  • wannaminibadwannaminibad Member Posts: 1
    But I am SCARED TO DEATH! LOL! The one I want to purchase is a 2003 standard shift (5 speed) with 57K in miles. The car is in Nashville, TN at the CARMAX dealership. Here is my question, since it seems MINIs have to go to a BMW dealership for service, is there a way to track repairs that may have been done to that car by it's VIN number?

I want to know what has been done as far a maintenance on that car to date and, hopefully, that would give me some idea as to what I will be facing in maintenance costs.

Any ideas would be helpful!
    and I wish I had known the repair/maintenance history on my MINI before buying it at 44,000 miles. Because the MINI dealership I bought it from told me they would guarantee it until 100,000 miles, I purchased it. Twenty thousand miles later the transmission failed and the dealership tried to tell me it was NOT covered! I stood there and reminded them I argued the point of the car having 44,000 miles on it and was reassured I needn't worry because of the coverage until 100,000 miles. They replaced the transmission at their cost entirely. I think you are right to be concerned. Let us know if you find a way to track the service history on the car you are interested in.
  • wilemakeitwilemakeit Member Posts: 17
    If you bring your key into the dealer they can tell you all the info you need.
  • minivaminiva Member Posts: 1
    Out on a mission of good will, I suddenly lose 1st gear and before you know it I've lost all gears and the smell of burning plastic or something....Just got home from having the car towed home. Tomorrow I will have it towed ($100 +) to the nearest mini dealer over 27 miles away. I've been trying to get an appointment with them for the catalytic converter replacement (recall) and to do some basic maintenance but it's over a month wait. Now this! No gear engagement at all. I'm so distressed about this. No, it's not a life. No, I didn't get into an accident. Ok. Grateful. Got it. But the car and the LACK OF RESPONSIVENESS of the dealerships. I moved here from California with my then 1 year old mini last summer. Sad state of affairs here in Virginia for mini dealerships. Anyone know any non-dealer mini mechanics inside the Beltway? Any thoughts about the clutch drama?
  • ericabliss1017ericabliss1017 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I have been looking at buy a 2004 auto mini cooper, do all mini's have cvt transmissions? and would you recommend buying one?
    I have a 2004 automatic MINI. I bought it from the MINI dealer when it had 44,000 miles. Having that many miles scared me but I was reassured when told it carried a 100,000 warranty. At 60,000 miles the automatic transmission died on me......middle of my block! So, I had it towed to my dealership/garage and was told it was the automatic transmission and it needed a whole new one. Then I was told it wasn't covered under the warranty. You could have heard me a mile away!!!!!! They replaced the transmission free of charge. It now has 63,000 miles and they are trying to get me to trade it in for a brand new MINI. Not only will I not do this, but I am recommending that no one buy a MINI unless they are ready to pour lots of money into it. Do you realize the tires on the MINI are run-flat tires and cost $400 EACH to replace?