Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

123457»

Comments

• nysonatanysonata Member Posts: 1
    I notice from this forum that 6 cyl brakes are different but will fit on a 4cyl Sonata. I have a 4 cly 2009 with the typical rear brake problems.

Does this problem also occur with the 6 cyl versions ?

Could this be a fix?
  • sagi1sagi1 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2010 Sonata was already in twice for rear breaks failing because of freezing/seizing calipers - yet Hyundai will not acknowledge this safety issue.

I called and opened a new case after getting charged $400 for the right rear caliper failing (out of basic warranty now). The phone Representative just repeated over and over the fact that the car is out of warranty. This is highly disappointing in my opinion, since there's a safety concern here that is clearly not a wear and tear issue.

Between me and my wife, we drove about 10 different makes and models, never had we any issues with the breaking system on any of them.

I will look into further actions - has anyone here contacted any of the people who filed the class action-suit?
  • stamstcstamstc Member Posts: 2
    So glad i found this! Feel like im going crazy with my brake issues. Took my v6 sonata to dealer within warranty for brake issue. They said nothing was wrong. Three trips to midas and new rotors, pads and tires and my car still makes warp noises and vibrates when brakes are applied. Has anyonr had success getting hyundai to pay for issues reported in warranty thay they refused to fix?
  • nysonatabnysonatab Member Posts: 1
    I have posted here before have to change screen name as I forgot pass word.

In my case I had one pad on right rear wear out prematurely. Took it to my own mechanic after crooks at Hyundai would not apply warranty. He put in new pads, same problem, replaced caliper, same problem.

Then showed him post #245 So read that guys - you have to either grind the pads or the area they fit in which is too tight of a fit. So then they slide better. He did that for no extra charge and so far so good.

I am guessing it would be hard to get a dealer to "customize" like that because it would be admitting that the design is bad and bring down the whole pack of lies we are getting.

#1 Issue is poor design which "sticks" exacerbated by weather. Look at the posts they are almost all in the North. No way I wore them out naturally. It was one pad on one side of rear brakes. So at least for most cases all the posts about new materials and modern cars using rear brakes more and size of pads are wrong.
  • sagi1sagi1 Member Posts: 2
    I had a very long conversation with Hyundai on the phone, and after arguing for 2 hours, the bottom line for them was that the vehicle is out of the basic warranty period, so they will not pay. they kept on repeating this again and again. very very disappointing.
  • stamstcstamstc Member Posts: 2
    finally just went to Midas and had the new rotors machined again and bought the top of the line pads from them. their pads held up for 40K miles before. So far so good.....but probably wont buy the 2013 Sonata now that I know this is a design issue. I am surprised they are so willing to ignore a potential safety hazzard. I couldnt in good conscience even sell my car. Will probablly drive it until it implodes. Best of luck to everyone trying to find resolution.
  • bigradarbigradar Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 Sonata with 15 thousand miles on it. I was having my tires rotated at a Midas dealer when the dealer told me me front brakes were like new, but my rear brakes were down to 20 percent, the rotors were rusting and discolored like they were overheating. I took the car to the dealer since the car only had 15, 000 miles on it. The dealer said sorry, pointed out that the car manual requires the calibers to be lubed every 6 months or 7500 miles. He said they could do nothing for me and even challenged me to call the 800 number, saying he knew they would do nothing for me. I went ahead and had the Midas dealer repair the brakes. What does it say about the quality of a car if you have to have a brake inspection every six months or 7500 miles or your brakes fail or the organization if they know they have a serious design problem and do nothing about it.
    I have purchased my last Hyundai!
  • tburger91tburger91 Member Posts: 1
    I guess you can add my comments along with the rest of the “Hyundai’s valued family members”.
    I sent the following message to Hyundai’s Consumer Affairs Department:

On June 24, I needed to have my 2010 Sonata repaired by your dealership in Streetsboro Ohio. At issue was a grinding, squealing noise coming from both my rear brakes. About 3 weeks prior to this service visit, I removed one of the rear wheels & noticed that one of the pads was excessively worn & the other one hardly used even though my mileage was at that time under 18k. While I am not a trained auto mechanic, I have worked on my cars for over 40 years & am familiar enough to recognize that poor design caused the premature wearing of the pads & subsequent damage to both rear rotors. My last 4 cars have had disc brakes & I have ALWAYS received over 60 to 70+ thousand miles on a set of brakes. The service cost for the repair was $421.25 + tax. The Service Consultant advised me that it was not covered under warranty even when I showed her the notice that Hyundai is facing a class action lawsuit in NY for the same issue & that there were numerous complaints concerning the same problem from Ohio customers as well. I do not feel that I should have to pay for faulty designs & the obvious problem caused by that design. $421.25 plus tax may not sound like a lot of money but to a person on a fixed income it is! It is my hope that Hyundai will do the right thing & refund my $421.25 plus tax as soon as possible. Thank you for assistance in this matter.

I received the following response:

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We are sorry to learn of the difficulty you have experienced with your brakes; however, we appreciate the opportunity to clarify warranty coverage for your 2010 Sonata.
    The brake pads in your Sonata is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW) for a period of 1 years from the date of original retail delivery or the date of first use (DFU) or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
    The rotors in your Sonata is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW) for a period of 5 years from the date of original retail delivery or the date of first use (DFU) or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first except if the rotor is damaged by brake pad wear.
    This warranty covers defects in factory parts or workmanship only, as determined by an authorized Hyundai dealership. Additional warranty information may be found in your Owner's Handbook.
    We apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience this may cause, however, based on the time and mileage of your Sonata, this warranty has lapsed and will no longer cover the cost of any needed repairs to the brake pad or rotor.
    For repairs that are no longer covered under warranty, we still recommend having them completed by an authorized Hyundai dealership. Our factory-trained technicians are the best-trained and most-qualified to repair your Sonata to our specifications.

We have documented your comments. Your case number xxxxxxx can be referenced if we can provide further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America and for being a valued member of our Hyundai family.

When I resent a questioning response to their response, I received another “parrot message” saying their decision is final & “Hyundai Motor America thanks you for your time, and for your business.”

Yup they gave me the business alright!!!!!!!!!!!