Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne Exterior

vantheman1vantheman1 Member Posts: 18
edited September 2014 in Buick
hi in the lucerne catalog/brochure you get at the car dealer, they list a spoiler with a couple of narrow pictures so you cant see how it looks on the car as a whole. Has anyone gotten the spoiler? Do you like it for the looks? Does a spoiler work on a buick? And also it says if you dont want three basic colors for the spoiler (white opal is one i forget the others), you would have to get the spoiler simply primed for painting. I am not sure how this would work with colors like the white flashgold, which is my number one choice right now. It would seem to be hard to get that paint right doing it yourself. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    I followed a Lucerne CXS the other day. It had round taillights, which I've never seen on any picture of a Lucerne. Are these something new or an aftermarket add-on? They really looked good, but not like the "folded tin-foil" add-ons you see on many Japanese cars.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    You must have been folowing at night? The reflectors inside the lamp housings are round. Therefroe at night may show up as round?

Really doubt there is any other version available after market.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Spoiler on a Buick? Well, it may help keep the trunk lid down if left unlatched. :D
    -Loren
  • kkrinnkkrinn Member Posts: 14
    Hey, I got the spoiler...It does look cool yet it's not nearly as wide as it looks in the picture. I was shocked when I saw it as it came to the dealership from the auto plant. It's plastic and only about 3 inches wide. I was disappointed for $400 until I saw it painted in sagemist and installed on my Lucerne. It does look great as it's not obtrusive at all. It lays flat and contours to the trunk lid. Just a suggestion of a spoiler. The cool thing is, I'm sure I have the only one in Columbus!
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    The Grand National had one along with some Skylarks of the past, but I wouldn't mess with a spoiler on a four door car.
    3" wide spoiler???
    :surprise:
    That's right....three inches!
  • kfrielkfriel Member Posts: 31
    Thank you for that report on the CXS. I wondered how much better it is.
  • vantheman1vantheman1 Member Posts: 18
    thanks kkrinn....can they paint the spoiler any color? the catalog seems to suggest that there are only three colors for the spoiler and that you would be on your own with the other colors to paint the spoiler?
    The 3 highest volume colors (sporty) were picked for the spoiler. If you have a different color the dealer or your pick of a painter will paint it for you. Same for the LaCrosse.
    That's about the size I would expect on a model car. Strange. What would that do?
    The spoiler is as wide as the trunk and is 3" deep.

Only buckets are available on the CXS LaCrosse and Lucerne
    The spoiler is shipped to the dealership seperately and the dealership will then paint it to match the color selected for the car and then they'll install it. There seems to be some confusion in the thread...The spoiler lays flat on the edge of the trunk and is exactly as wide as the trunk lid. It's only 3" deep, just a suggestion of a spoiler. It accects the car very well and adds a sporty look.
  • bobbyshredbobbyshred Member Posts: 44
    "Only buckets are available on the CXS LaCrosse and Lucerne."

I think that's going to blow the deal for me.
    The big selling point is the bench seat for me and the CXL LaCrosse is underpowered, and I would want the suspension of the Lucerne CSX.

The main car I'm considering is the 2007 Lexus ES350 but I found it slightly cramped in right leg room due to a high console.

I can't find a bench seat car that I really like.
    I still have to drive the CXL Lucerne but I'm much more impressed with the lexus ES.

I may just have to get used to a tighter driving position.
    The only cars that I am aware of that sell bench are LaCrosse, Lucerne, Impala and maybe some large fords?
    See lots of them at the classic car shows. The bench seat, and sitting with the girlfriend -- ah those days have long sense past us bye. Except those cars you mentioned. Heck, if ya like'em go for the seats. Ol' Besty 3.8 will get her down the road.
    I had my choice narrowed down the the Buick Lucerne and the Lexus ES. The show stopper for me with the Lexus was when I crawled into the back seat. My head was smashed into the roof and my knees were jammed into the back of the front seat. A road trip in the back seat would be misery. For the next size up in a Lexus sedan they wanted $64K for it. No way...Also, there was no iPod jack in the Pioneer sound system - you'd have to use one of those casette adaptors with the wire hanging out.
  • bobbyshredbobbyshred Member Posts: 44
    The iPod connects directly through and aux jack into the Lexus ES 350, it sounds great.

As far as the back seat I don't know about you but I'll never be in the back seat of my car!

In fact almost no one will ever sit there. I'll be the only one in the car 95% of the time.

If I need to take a load of people I'll drive our Honda Pilot SUV.
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    Did you forget the full-size Cadillac DTS?
    3 of the models offer bench seating and they feel more comfortable than Lucerne (yes @ 8-12k more).

However just as in Lucerne the Magnetic Suspension is only
    found in their DTS PERFORMANCE Pkg. and again buckets are the only offering.
    Very good, then...When I was looking a month ago, the Lexus 350 hadn't come out yet - I was comparing the Lucerne to the ES 330 which had no iPod jack. Of course the ES 350 is going for about $7K more than the price I was quoted for the 330. They were trying to get rid of the last 19 they had at the dealership.
    Buy a year old DTS and save $15K or so!
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    Add: Lincoln Town Car, Ford Crown Vic/Mercury Gran Marquis and Chevrolet Tahoe
    I think most large trucks have the bench seats available.
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    One more: Cadillac DeVille (or DTS, as it's now called).
  • wtilleywtilley Member Posts: 2
    Why do you say the CXL is underpowered? You can get the Northstar in it just like the CXS.
    He was referring to the LaCrosse but since they both have the same engine the Lucerne would probably drive the same. 200 hp today is not very much for a large car like the Lucerne but it will surely get you down the road lickity spit. Just will not be the most powerful car on the block.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Grille on the Lucerne is cool, but meybe people are installing it aftermarket, its the exact same as the black plastic (read 'Cheap-o') that is standard, but it is chrome! It loos really Good, like that was the way the car was supposed to look. It goes great with the side portholes and wheels.

Its also good to see Nav systems show up in the car. Haven't seen any with this option yet.

I think soom what will happen is that the current northstar will be phased out, and the VVT northstar along with the 6 speed will be put in for later models, as GM should be getting a brand new VVT DI (hopefully) Northstar V8 for its RWD applications.

Lets hope this new engine will kick MBs 382hp butt :P
    2007 Factory Ordering Info about grille types I have on Lucernes indicates an unusual mix:
    CX, CHROMED ONLY.
    CXL,BLACK,STANDARD, CHROMED OPTIONAL.
    CXS,BLACK,STANDARD.
    LOL thats so stupid! So the more expensive your version the cheaper your Grille :surprise:

At least we know these come from the factory.

So, anyone believe the Lucerne is gonna go 320hp in a few MY's?
    YOU may think BLACK= Cheaper.In fact I who ordered CX
    (not because of price, but because I prefer the CX ride characteristics) DO follow Buick's thinking, that as more
    money is spent on better models of Lucerne ,it WILL be awarded a BLACK(plastic) grille,PERIOD.

Now IF a customer wants to mess with what is "STANDARD",
    GM is ALLOWING a "preference option" to be initiated.

I am 59 years old,I remember that not only did the 1956
    Buick Century have 3 portholes, BUT the 1956 Buick Roadmasters have FOUR portholes!,AND a Chevy "Biscane"have 2 stoplights, and Impala have FOUR!, AND the Oldsmobile 88
    had MUCH LESS CHROME than the MORE expensive Olds. 98,etc. etc,.

GM is just giving us THEIR impression about just who spent the MOST bucks on a MODEL of car,and I think that's OK!

So I WILL envy the guy who sports the Black Grille because unless HE changes "NORMAL" ,I think that wow, his Lucerne is cost him, much more than mine!

It's a Very Old "Game", that was used by ALL of the BIG 3,
    since I can remember,and even before WW TWO! It helped establish as some might say ,the "Pecking-Order" of things.

I enjoy going to vintage car shows at this time of year, and STILL see this stuff all the time, and it helps me figure-out if this "Was this the the cheap model or the expensive one"!

The bottom line is,this time, in consideration of people's preferences, if a person orders a new Lucerce tomorrow, Buick WILL ALLOW THEM to have a Chromed(plastic) Grille in most models, and probably in CXS too ,if they work with the dealer!
    YOU know its hard to READ your messeges because YOU yell in the middle of EVERY sentence you SAY.

It makes US very annloyed AT your PROSPECTIVE speaking voice and if YOU talked to the DEALER like that then YOU must have gotten a BAD deal.

I'm just KIDDING, i hope you got a great deal, its just difficult to read your postings sometimes.

I just think what buick is doing is counter intuitive. Chrome should be the higher level models. You know, its like what they did for the last generation DTS, if you got the night vision option (which i think was expensive) then they rewarded you with a grille so cheap it looked like black painted sewege after it was baking in the sun.

To be a plastic grille on a car makes the whole thing look cheap, like its unfinished, or an interrior trim piece is stuck outside. I now see all the grilles are plastic, but at least make it LOOK like its metal.
    Re "Yelling= CAPITAL LETTERS. You make a good point.
    I will try to limit use of the"shift" key. But in your last sentence you use capitals for the word LOOK and that's where you would like us to use expression, or raise our voice,Right?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    A different way to _emphasize_ a word without using caps and yelling is to us the underscore key. Or you can use the italics or bold at the bottom of the reply window. Sorry if I'm off topic.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Black means sporty/understated. CXS is sporty.

Chrome means bling. CX/CXL is bling.
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    Just had the driver's door handle break on me the other day. Have about 11,100 miles on it, so I'm a bit disappointed. My brother says it's the first one he's seen break like that, so hopefully it was just cracked at the factory and not a sign of a repeat problem. Thing is plastic inside, apparently.
  • 76ta76ta Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery of my ordered CXS in Jan. 6-8 weeks later three outer handles replaced due to "wrinkling" plastic chrome, no handle issues since.
  • impartial1impartial1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 3500 miles on my Lucerne. Door handle on Driver side recently came unattached. I am worried that all of the door handles will suffer from the same problem. Wondering what was done for other owners in this situation. Where all door handles replaced?

Also, occasionally my turn signal indicator sound changes from soothing to abrasive. This noise then continues for the duration until I turn the car off. Happens maybe once out of every 10 trips. Has anyone else had this issue.

Finally, I seem to be hearing Knocking from 3.8v6 engine at low RPMs. Is anyone else havong this problem?

Thanks!
  • rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    My door handle broke a few months back as well. They just replaced the handle. There is a cheap plastic piece in there that snapped. I am concerned about possible recurring issues, especially now that someone else had the same problem. Fortunately, my service manager is my brother.
  • grandmarquisgrandmarquis Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone removed the portholes? How is the plastic strip attached? Are there any fasteners behind the strip? Are there any holes or indentations in the car body, or is the porthole strip just flat on the sheet metal?
  • wr_guywr_guy Member Posts: 13
    I believe there is a hole under the molding.

I also think the car would look good w/o the portholes but it is a Buick after all.
  • grandmarquisgrandmarquis Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the quick reply. I dislike the portholes so much that it is a deal killer for me.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Ask the bodyshop guy at a dealership. I can't believe they have holes in them holding them on. All other trim on the cars is done without holes from what I've seen in manuals for leSabres. I would be really surprised if there were holes.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fcoxfcox Member Posts: 7
    Rake2, lucky you.. any chances to help a fellow Lucerne owner out and ask him how to get to the headlamps? I want to replace the factory halogens with Silverstars but can't manage to get the assembly free after removing the three visible bolts.. Thanks in advance!
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Has anyone figured out if you can remove the portholes yet?
    Last post was Oct. 2006. Thanks.
  • grant570grant570 Member Posts: 2
    My 06 CX Lucerne is getting both passanger side handles replaced. One the plastic end pops out of the door and sometimes the door won't latch and the other has the chrome bubbling issue. Hopefully, the new handles won't have the same problems.

I also have the engine knocking/pinging. Supposedly they replaced an engine mount for me to fix the issue. Although it is not as noticable, it didn't eliminate the knocking which is more prominent when the engine is cold.
  • chuck21401chuck21401 Member Posts: 11
    My 2007 Lucerne 3.8 had the same issue. You might try running a tank or two of 93 octane + Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Fuel Injector Cleaner. Combined with a couple "italian tune ups," my car runs fine on regular gas now. Could be some carbon build up in there somewhere. Good luck.
  • rhassellrhassell Member Posts: 2
    Ditto on Drivers Door Handles...also noticable KNOCK from Engine when COLD. Just got off phone with Dealership regarding Door Handles...did not go well says I am out of warranty now and not covered. Called GM and lodged complaint, should be taking to Dealer locally to evaluate if MFR Defect on Door Handles. Advised agent that ample evidence of other owners with similar complaints if they are interested in a doing a cursory check using Google or whoever on the Internet.

Hopefully GM will do the right thing here, I have replaced a lot of items on cars before to normal wear and tear but Door Handles??? Thats absurd.
  • chuck21401chuck21401 Member Posts: 11
    So the other day the remote to lock/unlock the doors stopped working. I opened the door and tried it again and the remote started working again. Went into a store and came back out and the remote wasn't working again. Manually unlocked the door and door handle broke as I was opening it. I'm not sure if the two problems are related. I called the dealer to report the problem and schedule the repair. Apparently broken door handles are a common problem on this car. Beyond precision! :)
  • carservicecarservice Member Posts: 3
    I am constantly hitting the Black Plastic (?)/Rubber ?piece fastened to the front undercarriage on my Driveway and w some High Parking Stops etc. Has anyone ever taken it off ? Is it worth the trouble ? is it for an "Aerodynamic" feature ?
    Today , I found a small black plastic fastener on the Ground . The whole piece looks and feels loose >
    Vehicle is an 08' Lucerne
    Any idea's . suggestions please.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    My 08 Lucerne also scrapes on my driveway more than any other car on it. I've also wondered about the durability of the plastic part....My car is only 6 months old now,though....
This discussion has been closed.