Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• orangehborangehb Member Posts: 8
    Hi Arthur-

Thanks for the info! We're going down to a local socal dealer that still has a few '07s w/ good deals ($24k OTD w/ Navi, wheel locks & mud guards). We'll see what happens!

Thanks again!
    Sean
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I just happened to log on tonight and read about the problem with the '06 Civic. My teenage son has an '06 Civic LX Coupe. I just spent $1050 on the same alignment issue. I thought he might have done something to it to cause this, although that is not his driving style. The service manager said that it was not his fault; that it was badly out of alignment in the rear. I had to replace the rear Michelin tires because it had eaten up the inside of the tires. I just had them replace all four. I was not told of any problem that the '06 Civic was experiencing. Now, I have paid for it and I am trying to figure out how to go about reimbursement. This is the third Honda in our family since '05.
  • cheevercheever Member Posts: 8
    I have a 06 HCH and I wore out the first set of rear tires at 11,000, which the dealer replaced free of charge. At 28,000, after doing all dealer recommended alignment and rotation service, the rear tires were badly worn and cupped again. The dealer said it was a tire problem, and I needed to bargain with the tire manufacturer. The tire people said it was an alignment problem, and they sold me 2 new tires. I wrote American Honda and received a call back about a week later and they offered to pay for the second set of tires. The lady claimed there was no service bulletin identifying the problem, although I have read in this forum that there is a fix underway in the next 2-3 months. Contact Honda of America and tell them your story. Good luck.
  • hybridblueshybridblues Member Posts: 13
    :lemon: Megadittos...4OK on 2006 HCH...on third set of dealer-provided tires and tires are shot. The dealer now tells me that tire dealers can install kits which will correct the unadjustable camber that causes the premature wear. I ask why doesn't Honda correct the problem and dealer says what problem?; the alignment is fine, therefore no problem. If I could reach through the phone...

Possible action???:

NTSB (or similar agency) complaint (safety issue with all the weight on the inside tire, braking and traction suffers and of course, quickly balded tires which one tries to stretch;

Lemon Law (I missed my State deadline);

BBB - follow Honda's complaint procedure (good luck there);

State AG consumer protection (I'll give it a go);

Maybe a class action lawsuit or threat thereof;

Lots of letters/e-mail to Honda and/or,

PRIUS (next time; somebody dope slap me).
  • pmzpmz Member Posts: 26
    Megadittos?? Phoney post?
    Sorry PMZ, Just a figure of speech popularized by a mega hot airbag's radio show. It was meant to emphasize the commiseration felt us owners of Civics whose rear ends Honda refuses to fix or even acknowledge there's a problem.
  • notkrapnotkrap Member Posts: 1
    At 19000 miles, my 07 HCH has 4 ruined tires from the negative camber issue.
    With proper documentation and a very courteous demeanor I took my car to where I purchased it, Auto Park Honda in Cary, NC .
    After inspecting my tire for 30 minutes, the service girl informed me that "they" determined the inner tire wear was from "Overloading" in my car. I had 2 toolboxes in my trunk and they come to me with that crap. The totally unhelpful and unsympathetic Service Manager totally blew me off and told me straight up, "You're not getting 2 new tires today". AVOID Auto Park Honda! I'm paying $530 a month for a car and warranty backed by Crooks. There are over 300 cases of this Negative Camber problem on various websites on the net with the same problem, but mine is "Overloading"?
    They said nothing was wrong with my car, but he could not deny that others were coming to him with the same problem!
    CAVEAT EMPTOR
    I have had my HCH in the shop for a total of 14 working days for a Motor Position Sensor issue, and now these CROOKS can't take the blame for an OBVIOUS mfg defect in which the HCH eats the inside of tires, or at least the 300 plus mine I've read about.
    I hope that at least one person reads this and goes and buys the PRIUS instead of the HCH. And go to anyone else other than LEITH, they own the place and must train these folks to do anything but take responsibility and refuse to right a wrong.
    And on top of all of that, they were OUT OF COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • iridium130miridium130m Member Posts: 2
    interesting...ive been frustrated with the growing road noise at certain speeds with my 07 HCH purchased in April. i also get lots of vibration around 75 mph. plus the car is scarily susceptible to side winds on the highway, with no sense of driving straight whatsoever.

i took it to my local tire shop for alignment and the rear was only slightly off, less then .3 degrees i believe, but the rear tires were definitely worn much more on the inside. this at 12K miles.

took it on several more road trips, and the alignment didn't help at all, still scary to drive with cross winds.

so, now at 13.5K miles, i scrapped the low rolling resistance dunlop factory tires and put dunlop m3 winter tires on (i do a lot of work up north).

the car is now very quiet...and now has a sense of center. Fuel mileage has definitely taken a hit, from around 40 combined to 37.

i'll be curious how these tires wear, and will definitely be looking for the tsb on the alignment issue...i hope my car doesn't already have the fix as there is an issue with it.
  • orangehborangehb Member Posts: 8
    We did end up buying an '07 HCH (only 500 miles at this point). Our model had Bridgestones on it though, not Dunlops. I wonder if this is part of any fix?
  • nhernnhern Member Posts: 3
    Hi Arthur. I have a 2006 HCH and it was one of the last cars built. I picked it up in Oct 2006. I started noticing road noise/vibration from right rear area and am being told the tires are cupped and worn because of rotation not being done and they will not pass NH inspection and I need 4 new tires. The car is at dealorship as I write and am waiting for service mgr to call. I have a hard time believing I can only get 22,000 miles out of a set of tires and I always understood that cupping was an alignment problem. Rotating was to accomplish even wear on all tires. I guess I should have rotated and then had cupping on all tires. Anyhow problem seems to be a Honda issue. I have owned Hondas for many years. Thanks, Ernie
  • paisan1paisan1 Member Posts: 11
    hi Ernie,,this seems to be a universal problem,and not just from the first run as i was told..seems we can not trust what Honda service,and reps say.keep plugging and mention the LEMON word a lot.good luck,and ya,i was getting about 20-24 k on a set of rear tires.arthur
    thanks for support. I am on phone with Honda right now,(on hold) tires are Dunlop. She says their isn't a bulletin on my issue and has referred me to an advisor who will contact me in 24-48 hrs.
  • 2007civichybri2007civichybri Member Posts: 4
    Anyone having any luck on Rear Tire Noise. Took my 2007 Civic Hybrid to the Dealership today for tire noise after Tire Rotation at 8000 miles. Was told there was a problem with rear suspension and Honda was aware and working on the problem, but for how long? I have seen from the forums this is an ongoing problem from 2006. The dealership said by complaint would be filed with the other complaints they had and I would be notified when a fix was available. I was lead to believe that this was a new problem. Looks as if I may need to take other action since I have only had my Civic Hybrid for 4 months. Any suggestions
    Well Honda finally contacted me and basically said there was nothing they can do for me. I should have rotated tires more often. They insinuated I hit lots of pot holes and that the problem with earlier cars was that the alignment could not be adjusted properly but not so with mine. They recommend alignment once a year. Funny thing is I had only owned car 11 mos. when this all happened. That is when pot holes came up. Bottom line is I bought 4 new tires and an alignment and let him know it would be the last Honda I would own. Too bad, this was my 3rd one in 10 years. Prius is looking pretty good.

EG
    I contacted AH on October 5th and the rep asked me to fax a copy of the receipt for the 2 new tires I purchased. After dozens of attempts to return phone calls, I haven't been able to contact the rep- always on another line or out of the office. I finally left a message to email me the status of my case, and I still haven't heard back. It's pretty discouraging. She claims there is no sb to fix the problem. This is the 5th Civic I have owned, and probably my last.
  • 2007civichybri2007civichybri Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 HCH purchased in Aug. took in for first oil change and tire rotation at beginning of November. Had noticed slight noise from rear tires just prior to tire rotation at 8000 miles. After moving the rear tires to the front the noise and slight vibration were very evident. Called Service Department about problem, was told to drive for three more days to see if problem improved (self corrected) or got worse. I drive 130 miles per day to and from work and the Service Rep was aware of this. Called Service Rep after three days and informed her the problem was no better or worse. She made an appointment for me to come in 5 days later. At that time I was informed there was a problem with certain 2007 models, Rear Suspension - Chamber Adjustment Arm and Honda was aware of the problem and working on a fix. The only thing they could do for me now was to move the front tires back to the rear a wait for the fix. When asked how long, they did not know and said my name would be added to file Honda had ask them to keep and I was not the only one with this problem. After returning home and thinking about the situation and answers I had been given and that they were not satisfactory for a car only 3 months old and 8000 miles. I call the American Honda Customer Service. A rep. returned my call in one day and after explaining my situation said he would have to investigate with the Service department. I received a call 2 days later from my Service Rep. who informed me Honda would replace the rear tires. I told her this was good, but new tires with no fix was not acceptable and wanted to know when I could expect a fix. She said she would inform Honda Customer Service of this. Honda Service Rep called the next day. He also danced around the question of date for the fix. He did finally say that a fix for the Chamber Arm had been accomplished but was in the testing stages??? Finally did say it would be released in 30 to 60 days, that may have been just to get me off the phone for I could not get anything in writing, just that if I had not received notification of a fix by the time I reached 12000 miles on my tires to take the car in and have the new ones put on. So now I am just waiting to see since my last communication with them was on 11/14 and I now have 9500 miles on the rear tires and the noise is getting worse.
  • georgegordongeorgegordon Member Posts: 1
    I fell for their line: 2006 Honda Civic was "CAR OF THE YEAR".

I wanted good mileage, I wanted reliability, I wanted a quality car from a quality company.

From the moment I left the dealership with my new car, it seemed that the rear end of the car was just roaring. Everyone that rode in it complained of the rear end road noise.

So I was not that surprised when my rear Bridgestone radials just happened to have the steel belts protruding at 20,000 miles.

I will not bore you with the 20 hours and five visits to Honda dealers and Bridgestone tire dealers that I made as Honda claimed "no problem" and the Bridgestone people said "Dude, you have a defective car". I've owned a few cars, and the fact that the front tires were pristine told me that Honda had a major problem with their rear end alignment on the 2006 CAR OF THE YEAR.

I did their route, all the hoops and mental midgets at Honda of America Customer Service in Torrance. They told me I had defective tires. I didn't bite. I escalated. They told me I had worn (only) the rear tires down due to "aggresive driving" or "overloading". (Virtually all freeway miles, two passengers, 100 pounds luggage?)

Their final word to me: "There is absolutely nothing wrong with your car OR tires, what you have seen is normal wear".

I sent them a demand letter saying that if they didn't reimburse me for the two new rear tires, I would sue them.

Lo and behold, I got called by an apologetic Honda Lawyer. So sorry. Defect in rear suspension. Engineers working hard on fix. Recall soon. Will pay 75% of cost of new tires.

I said flat out no. That they were getting off cheap. I spend 20 hours and drove 350 miles to get their lies, lies, lies, lies. He quickly said they'd pay the full expense.

Reading this thread, I'm inclined to stuff their check where the sun don't shine. These people at Honda are practiced, skilled and trained liars.

DO NOT EVERY BUY ANOTHER HONDA. Look for a class-action suit against Honda. They will be killing people with premature tire wear, you can bet.
  • aueaue Member Posts: 16
    12-15: Just replaced a set of Bridgestone Insignias at 44,000 miles on an October 2006 HCH. Had a similar problem with premature wearing out of Bridgestone Potenzas on on a previous new vehicle (2001 Mazda Protege). My conclusion is that Bridgestone makes crappy tires and that car manufacturers put crappy tires on their new vehicles so don't buy Bridgestone tires and don't buy replacement tires from your car dealer. Instead find a reputable local independent tire dealer who will take the time to find your car a set of tires that match your driving habits. We found Earl's Tire in Des Moines, IA (definitely worth the drive from anywhere) and got Kumhos for the Mazda (still going strong for our daughter who is a car abuser) and Uniroyal Freedoms for the HCH, both times at dealer cost.
  • trevenireytrevenirey Member Posts: 1
    For XMAS I bought my wife 4 Michelin Destiny tires from Discount Tires. I bought these from a employee I know and he suggested these tires as well as Costco. We had the original Bridgestone stock tires and averaged 45 mpg and went over 63,000 miles on them and now we are averaging 40 mpg. WHAT?!?!?
    Did I get the wrong tires? Does Discount Tire sell a different tire I should have gotten? Are Kuhmo's any good? Can I even get them exchanged now?

Any help would be great.
    Check closely for unusual tire wear...seems common on Civics. My buddy wrecked his Civic due to bad tires/unusual wear. Honda needs to wake up, acknowledge, and correct the problem before people get hurt. Bad enough we pay for quick wear but accidents are another story. The reason I bought a Honda was due to high quality, standards, and ethics but seems we need a louder voice...squeaky wheels get the grease...maybe.
  • hondacivic07hondacivic07 Member Posts: 2
    I noted some uneven wear, made an appointment for warranty service at AutoFair Honda in Manchester, NH. I had no problems, they realigned all four wheels and noted they were all significantly off.

When I brought up the dreaded, "How do you intend to reimburse me for the ruined tires" subject, the service manager told me that there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) in process and expected within a few weeks.

Apparently there are control arm issues on the 07 Civics. She asked that I call them back within a few weeks to see what corporate Honda was going to recommend with regard to the tire replacement and possibly further control arm replacement.

While I'm less than pleased to be driving in a New Hampshire winter with defective tires, I'll hold off a few weeks rather than getting myself all wound up and firing off certified letters to various mucky mucks.
  • jonathannjonathann Member Posts: 55
    I am in Ontario Canada and was issued a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid in October (Government of Ontario assigned vehicle - I work for them). I had the first oil change (and tire rotation) done at 8,000 miles and my mechanic advised that the rear tires were chipped (cupped?), and that this is an alignment problem, not a tire problem.

I took the vehicle to the loca Honda dealer, who confirmed that there was a Service Bulletin on this and ordered the required parts (rear upper control arms).

Apparently, some upper control arms were manufactured slightly short, causing the alignment problem. Because the parts came from a certain manufacturer and there is no record of which cars received them, it is not possible to identify problem cars by serial number or date of manufacture.

All owners of this vehicle should be aware of the problem and look for unusual wear on rear tires.

I have now had the warranty work done, and other than the chipping on the interior edge, the tires where not worn more than usual, so I am hoping that they achieve a normal lifespan from them.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    but do you know if this was an issue with just the HCH or with all civics. I have an 06 LX and after just one year, i had to replace tires also. Sort of a blessing, because i really didn't like the bridgestones on it, but i don't want this to happen to my yokohamas too (for which i paid over $600 + the alignment).
    I thought it was just my driving, or crappy tires, but maybe not.
    could you post the TSB on this, or tell me how find out the number.
    thanks
  • rogerjbrogerjb Member Posts: 1
    We bought a EX Coupe in April 2007 and have cupping of the tires on the rear. This was dicovered at the first tire rotation. After much run around at the dealer I contacted Honda America. They got back to me 2 days after my initial call and confirmed they have an rear alignment problem, but did not have a fix which they have provided to dealers in North Carolia as yet.

When I asked about the exceptional wear on the tires, they said that when the fix is made they would take care of tire wear caused by the alignment problem.

My faith in Honda is partially restored. When the fix is done I will be a happy camper.
  • jonathannjonathann Member Posts: 55
    When I had the warranty work done, I asked if this problem was unique to the Hybrid because of the additional battery weight in the rear end. I was told, no the defective upper control arms were installed in all Honda Civic models and there is no record of which ones.
  • jaremyjaremy Member Posts: 2
    I have this same tire/suspension problem on my 07 Civic EX with 14K miles. Initially my dealership rotated my tires for the second time and when I left my steering wheel was shaking. I took it right back to the dealsership but the service department was closed. I took it to Meineke and right away the service guy told me all four of my tires were ruined due to a problem with the rear suspension. This was my second rotation so the front tires had previously been on the back and also had uneven wear. I had them rotate the tires back at Meneike just so I could drive home. When I called the dealership they admitted that they had noted in my file that my tires were excessively worn but didn't tell me until AFTER I took it to Meneike. I searched the web and found dozens of similar cases. I found a website that even had a Canadian Honda Technical Service Bulletin that spelled out the exact problem and how to fix it. It is caused by rear control arms. I emailed it to my dealership and explained that I would like my car fixed the same way. They brought my car in and looked at it and put on two new tires in the back and explained that the new control arms had not been approved yet in the US like they were in Canada and that they would call me when the parts were approved. I just got the call yesterday that they now have the new improved control arms and mine have been ordered. I am thrilled that they are going to fix it. I have read many posts buy Canadians that have these new control arms and it does fix the issue.
    I found if funny that after I emailed the TSB to my dealership it was mysteriously removed from the internet. I saved a copy and I think everyone should be able to view this Candadian TSB so here it is...

http://showcase.netins.net/web/reptiles/stuff/Bulletin(VIII-10-07).pdf
  • jaremyjaremy Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to add that I have spoken with corporate Honda and a TSB for this issue was released for cars in the US last week but I have been unable to find it on the web.

Also, here is another great link about this issue...
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2166644
    Jaremy, Wow, this is a breakthrough! Thanks for the great info and links. I'll be running to my dealer and demanding a fix (esp. since I just had to buy a complete set of new tires...on my 4th set...at 43K and off warranty...watch the dealer say sorry Charlie, no warranty, no fix free). Strange that it excludes hybrids because all models of Civics seem to be affected to some degree.

Anyway about time on Honda's part...thanks again for the post.
  • mafanslaumafanslau Member Posts: 3
    I just went to the dealer and they told me that my right rear tire is worn and needed replacement after 30,000 miles. After leaving the dealer, I did some online research and came across this thread. I'm heading back to the dealer next week. I don't know anything about cars, so I hope I can get some answers from them.

This situation gets me mad. This is my first new car and I bought it for it's relability. I now want to trade the car in. Do we think this problem is ever going to get solved?
  • dave161dave161 Member Posts: 3
    In reading this thread and another similar one, I find that my 06 civic hybrid has the same tire wearing issue. In addition, I find that my car handles very poorly in the snow or on roads that are occasionally slippery. The back end moves back and forth and the car handles poorly. I had the car in today for an oil change and rotation and they told me my tires were shot. When I told them I had never had tires go so quickly, 35,000 miles they gave several different excuses. 1. cheap tires 2. need to rotate more often 3. tire pressure When I asked if others were having the same problems with wear and control I was told it was not a major problem. Having this thread in hand, I will be calling my dealer and Honda tomorrow. Have others had their tires replaced? I too have had loud rear noises that went unsolved. Is there going to be a recall? Is there an American Service Bulletin being issued?
    to all of you out there with rear alignment problems..i have finally received the SERVICE BULLETIN fix.new toe in arms,and 4 new tires...all at no cost to me.
    I do not have the SERVICE BULLETIN number at this time.as soon as I receive the
    paper work from the dealer I will post it for all of you....I too will be selling my civic hybrid soon.maybe the new Malibu hybrid will be good...arthur
    Hooray! Please post the SB number for us. My dealer claims he knows nothing about it. I agree.... once I get this problem fixed with the tires, I'm going to sell my hybrid. Honda has just lost its shine for me. Too much run around. After 5 Civics, I'm now looking at a Corolla or a Saturn hybrid. I need a fresh start and I want to feel good about my car again.
  • jcampajcampa Member Posts: 14
    I am writing to you all about a concern and issue that I am having to endure with American Honda Motor Corporation. In August of 2006, I purchased a 2006 Honda Civic for better gas milage, safety and reliability for my wife and two kids from Bob Howard Auto-Mall in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. What my wife and me did not know at the time of purchase was that American Honda had installed bad control arms on the rear of the vehicle which caused the tires to wear out on the sidewalls more rapidly, thus causing flats and possibly blowouts on the rear wheels.

In September of 2007, my wife experienced a flat tire while doing errands around the City of Canyon and Amarillo, Texas, the tire was replaced and a new one was purchased from Walmart due to undue wear on the sidewalls.

In October of 2007, this car experienced another flat tire on the other side and this time the car was taken to Discount Tire here in Amarillo, Texas. The service manager indicated that the tires were wearing wrong on the side walls and that the car had a serious alignment problem. The dealership was contacted and James the service representative for Bob Howard Auto-Mall indicated that the control arms on the rear of the car were defective and that this flaw was causing the tires to wear out on the side walls.

He also indicated that there was no fix to the car at that time and that it could be as late as December 2007, before a fix is made to the car. As of the January 18, 2008, there is still no fix for this flaw. The dealership has informed me that it may take another 10 months to fix the rear control arms on these vehicles.

As for the tires, James indicated that we should contact American Honda for reimbursement of the tires that were purchased at Discount Tire by American Honda in California. They were contacted and a check was reimbursed to us for approximately 375.00 dollars of the approximate 750.00 dollars that had already been spent. During both flats the car was driven over curbs to get the vehicle out of the road ways. And on either the first or second occurrences damage was done under the automobile that causes the brake light to flash while going down the highway.

The car was taken to Southwest Honda in Amarillo, Texas and they indicated that damage was done to the undercarriage of the automobile and that my warranty would not cover the damage that was done. It was explained to them that the damage was done due to the flats on the rear tires and that due to safety concerns of not changing the tires in the middle of the road, I had to go over the curb to get out of the traffic flow instead of changing it and causing an unsafe condition for other drives and myself. Honda America is uncooperative and unwilling to help us in resolving this issue. They implied that we should have been killed or hurt because of this flaw, before they will do anything to resolve this issue.

Conclusions:

This car has a serious flaw and American Honda knew it and deceived the American public into believing that the car is safe and free from defects, this car was represented to us as not having any problems or flaws or defects. However, Honda America sold a vehicle that has rear control arms that are defective and need to be replaced before a serious accident happens with these automobiles.

Customers are unaware of this flaw who bought this car believing that Honda produced a safe product, however what will happen when someone is traveling at 60 mph or even 70 mph, and a blow out occurs. Does someone have to lose their life or their family before something is done by Honda America and these companies like Honda America is held accountable.

The bottom line is Honda America is not interested in anything we have to say and is not willing to fix a problem they caused. Get the word out do not buy a HONDA of any Kind.

Cheers
  • jfainjfain Member Posts: 3
    I just had my 30,000 mile service at the dealership I bought my 2006 Civic Hybrid from. They told me the same thing about the alignment and uneven wear on the tires. I did not get the new set of tires they recommended because I was planning to shop around. However, if this problem is their fault, I don't want to pay for new tires nor an alignment. I will be calling the dealership today. PLEASE forward the Service Bulletin information as soon as possible. jfain
    We contacted the dealership who put us in touch with Mr. Ron Rubinoff who agreed with himself to pay about 375.00 of an 800.00 dollar bill. He is a clown. The bad part about this is that Honda knew what they were doing when they stuck this part on the car. They did not count on people calling them on it. We are getting the new part on the car today or tomorrow because of the hell I have been causing over this matter. Do not let them off the hook. Because they are JERKS.

This is my last HONDA and I am telling as many people tha I can not to buy one.

Cheers :mad:
  • mafanslaumafanslau Member Posts: 3
    I went to the dealer last night and a Service Bulletin did come out on 1/22. It is so new that they didn't even know how to order the parts for me. Honda is covering the control arm replacement and alignment, but will not cover my tires b/c I have > 30,000 miles on them.
    Does the service bulletin have a number? My dealers claim they have no idea and they expect Honda will contact me before the dealerships know about it. I agree: this is my last Honda... and I've had 5 them.
    The original service bulletin came out in June or July of 2007, Bob Howard Automall in Oklahoma City, Jeff Salimate, the Service Manager indicated that Honda new that early that they were going to have to replace tires. Your dealership is lying to you. When I had my problems James (Service Tech) indicated that they had been replacing tires to satisfy their customers that far back.

Again another Honda Dealership is misleading customers.

Cheers and Never again will I buy a Honda :mad:
    The SB# is 08-001. It only calls for the rear control arms to be fixed for certain models and to give a prorated amount for the tires. If the tires got more than 25k miles then there is 0% recovery for the tires.

I had a little run around with the dealership. It seems to be a very new bulletin so they had to order the parts. I am having to buy the tires. After calling a variety of tire places, I did find that 30k is not unreasonable for Dunlop tires. I don't think I want to fight with the dealership to get reimbursment for the tires even though Honda has apparently created this mess by not disclosing the problem as soon as they found out. Good luck.
    Hey:

I had to go to Honda America and faxed information into Ron Rubinoff and they reimbursed us 375.00 dollars for new tires at Discount Tire. Some dealers are being stuck with the cost of replacement tires that is what they are not allowing tire reimbursement. The dealer in Amarillo Texas would not pay for tires but the one in Oklahoma City would. I filed a complaint with the BBB last night about this issue and demanded complete reimbursement for the bad rear control arms.

Cheers and Hang in there. :mad:
  • gwlkzlgwlkzl Member Posts: 4
    We got new tires for our HCH03, and we have see a drop from 44 to about 40MPG. We stayed with Bridgestone, but we got a different model tire, the Insignia SE200. I didn't even think about mileage before we bought. Having said that, I never felt very safe with the OEM tires - they seemed to lose traction pretty easily in wet weather. The annual cost difference at 15K miles/year and $3 gas is 34 gallons and $100. That would pay for higher quality tires pretty quickly. I don't know which replacement tire would be best, but ours are NOT it.
    Do you happen to have a contact number or e-mail for Rob Rubinoff? I am getting tires from the dealer but the dealer is saying that American Honda does not offer an allowance for tires with over 25K miles. Thanks for the information. I hate this situation because I have been a fan of Honda for many years. Oh well, I guess business is business for them. Thanks again.
  • walterlavwalterlav Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Honda Hybrid. My 1st set of tires was replaced after about 20K miles. They checked the alignment then and it was out of alignment. The alignment was done at Goodyear. I had the alignment rechecked and it is out of alignment to the point that Goodyear won't honor their guarantee on the tires. They told me there is no adjustment on the upper arms of the rear wheels and they are out of alignment. They offered to replace the arms for about $400. I went back to Honda and told them and they could not find any notices about the rear arms being replaced by Honda.

I called Honda and told them what I wanted which was replacement upper rear arms and new tires. They gave me a number for my complaint and said they would get back to me. That was last week. It is now 2-8-08. I will continue to blog and let you all know what they do here in Waco.
    sorry for all the heartache in resolving this alignment issue,and tire replacement...
    here is what i know for the Denver area.the Honda Rep is Scott E....per my copy of the work order the service bulletin is # 8-001 to replace rear upper control arms and replace 4 tires.all the work has been completed..i am not sure i will keep the car long enough to see if it worked....good luck
    Hey:

Mine is going in the Amarillo Globe News, we are not keeping it either to see if the fix works. I highly doubt that it will work. I am out 1500.00 dollars in maintenance costs. The add will read 2006 Honda Civic LX, whale Tale, Aluminum Wheels and New Tires. In shop more than it is been in my care. :mad:
  • fearsofsinfearsofsin Member Posts: 2
    yes they have

THERE IS A NEW SERVICE BULLETIN
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2225229

IF YOU GO TO THAT THREAD I FOUND A PICTURE OF IT IM TIRED AND DONT FEEL LIKE LOOKING IT UP I HAVE A MORNING CLASS TOMMOROW BUT I HOPE THIS HELPS
  • hondacivic07hondacivic07 Member Posts: 2
    I had my Civic fixed yesterday.

Prior to the warranty work, they asked me to sign a release that would basically agree to arbitration with both parties paying half of the arbitration fee, without possible reimbursement of such fee. That seemed like a really stupid idea that was not part of the warranty process, so I refused to sign it. After getting the general manager involved they agreed to work on the car without my giving up my right to a suit.

It had about 9,600 miles on it when I began the process a month ago (with 2/32 of tread left), and about 12,000 miles yesterday (with 0/32 of tread left). According to the chart they should have charged me 25% of the replacement cost. Instead they didn't even attempt to charge me for the replacement tires. I was pleased they didn't insist on this since, since Honda is affiliated with/owns Tire Rack, and I wouldn't have been happy letting them profit even a little from warranty work that wasted hours of my time and had me driving a death trap for the last few months.
    :mad: This is really strange, because what they are saying is the fix will not work and they don't want people sueing when they find out that the fix will not work. They know something and are not saying it. We need to call for a total recall of this car and force them to either fix them or sue them

Cheers

P.S. Anyone looking for a HONDA, I'm Selling :mad:
    2006 HCH: Thanks to a post of the appropriate TSB on this forum, I was armed enough to get the local dealer to replace the control arms and realign the car, even though they originally said they wouldn't unless there was a recall, but the bastards at Honda won't prorate the worn out tires unless they have less than 25k miles. Ours were 4/32 at 44k. Any way to appeal that?
    Although I'm sure Soichiro Honda, who said "I believe that the level of admiration for a person is determined by the level of contribution the person makes to the world", was a fair and honorable man, his successors at the company he founded are most certainly not fair or honorable. I just read this entire thread about the wheel alignment issue on Honda Civics and sensed both a collective outrage at the way Honda presents itself as safe and green and fair and honorable but then obfuscates a very serious safety flaw in its 2006 car of the year and also that this thread is the tip of an iceberg that affects considerably more people. Please post all your contacts (names, phone numbers, addresses, emails, etc.) at Honda Headquarters in both California and Japan and also suggestions about how Honda's lies about the wheel alignment issue can be publicized. Let's take back the company for Soichiro, who had the nickname 'black nose weasel', which is less derogatory in Japanese than it sounds in English, because his face was always dirty from helping his father in the forge.