Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• mesazonemesazone Member Posts: 51
    Sorry, but we can't share the x-plan prices. I work for the a very large company who participates with the x-plan and it says right on the web site before it shows you the prices, that we aren't allowed to share.

I can tell you that I paid $35,000 for my 2001 F250 PSD and I would have saved about $2,500 if I had used the x-plan but the company I worked for wasn't purchased by the larger one until 7 months later.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Which model are you looking at for the Expedition (4WD/2WD)? It seems that there is a (small/large?)problem with a whining noise from the Axle or Transfer Case on 4WD models. I think I remember you saying that you have a lease on your Bravada until next summer. I think that is when the Expedition gets the new 300HP 24 valve V8. Something that might be worth waiting for? The last I heard on the whine is that engineers and Techs are working hard to find the problem and address it. It might be worth it to hold off for a while if you can. Otherwise this is the only problem I have heard of with these so far :-)Most people seem to be very happy with them. Again...good luck with whatever you choose!
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Jared:

I have an '03 with that front end growl. A tech at my dealership is looking into it but so far no fix. Have you heard anything definitive on the problem or have you just heard all of us complaining? It seems, to me at least, as though the front driveshaft is spinning in 2WD when it shouldn't be and this is creating the growl in the front hubs when they are not locked into the front halfshafts.

I saw you lived in MI, do you know anyone on the inside by chance?
  • kbmkbm Member Posts: 5
    I don't work for them or get anything out of it by saying this, but give Mall of Georgia Ford a try. The guy I dealt with was named Stephen Carter. They matched Carsdirect.com's price which was more than $7,000 off of MSRP and even reduced the price to cover the "customer service" junk fee. They didn't even ask for a driver's license before a test drive! Email me privately if you are interested and I'll give you more details.
    Unfortunately I don't have insiders for information on the Expedition itself. I just thought I would let Mfullmer know that if he decides to buy an Expedition that this may be a problem that he encounters. I don't really know how many vehicles this is effecting but It seems that its becoming more common. What I have been doing to keep up to date on the info is tuning into that web site (flat rate tech site) that you posted in the Expedition Problems discussion. Anyway I'll keep scrounging around to see if I can find any more Information. I did notice that Ford has a TSB out on this groaning issue so it seems that they know about it and depicting from what the technician on flatratetech.com had to say, Ford is trying hard to find the problem ASAP.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Thanks for all of the help!!! I am looking at a 2WD model (I have the all-wheel drive Bravada but really, here in Georgia, 2WD with the Advanced Trac will be more useful.) Hopefully I won't have that noise!!! I am really jazzed because I am trying to transfer my lease through one of the lease trading websites. I have someone interested so hopefully she can qualify with GMAC. In any case, it will be nice, whenever, to not have to spend 1/2 my life in a rental car.

One thing I was posting over at the triplets site was I went back to when the triplets had been out for four months and there were over 280 posts about problems (more than 10 separate) with them. Of course since then there have been many more. I'm relieved to see so few here!

I've been pleased by the CarsDirect price and was hoping that I could get a dealer to match. I do think I may have to end up ordering one though because the only ones I've seen around Atlanta (using Fords finder) either have the DVD player instead of the Navigation or don't have the Advance Trac (or don't have the features I want), etc. I DO NOT want the DVD player but everything else but I have only seen one and it was a black one which I will not have.

ARGH!!!!
  • vjstangelovjstangelo Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at purchasing a 1997 Expedition with a 5.4L engine. I was wondering, does this engine have a timing belt or chain?
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    It has a timing chain.
    Was having dinner tonight with family, some of whom are avid GM truck people. Told them I was shopping a new Navigator, and got a load of input on the downside of the new Independent Rear Suspension in the 03 Expedition/Navigators vs. the old live axle in the GM SUVs. To me, the IRS seems like a superior setup, but they're telling me I'm not going to like it for durability. GM people seem to like old technology, and GM usually delivers for them, but I'm wondering if the IRS will have a downside I don't know about. Anybody have some input?
    "Told them I was shopping a new Navigator, and got a load of input on the downside of the new Independent Rear Suspension in the 03 Expedition/Navigators vs. the old live axle in the GM SUVs."

HAHA! Thats just what people say that drive around old tech vehicles ;-) I have heard of 0 problems with the IRS. Every mag I read praises the new Navigator for its terrific composure in the corners due to the IRS. The only thing that I think would be a problem durability wise would be CV joints. With towing, those have to be heavy duty. Also after time the rubber covers (CV boots) for them tend to break and let stuff in. However they don't take as much stress as the ones in the front so I don't think thats much of an issue. GM's SUV's ride nice but don't really seem to handle well IMHO. Anyway just ones guys perspective. I haven't heard of any problems from the Explorer's IRS units so I'm sure that the beefed up Navi's and Expedition's IRS will be just fine.
    That's been my experience too. I don't do much off-off roading anyway, but occasionally I want to go somewhere insane. I like the ride and steering of the Escalade a little better actually
    but it lacks so many features, keyless entry pad, disappearing 3rd seat, etc., not to mention the Chevy Truck interior, that it's unlikely I would go that way unless the deal was much better. Plus, my dealer bends over backwards for me at Lincoln. Very likely I'll risk the IRS. :)
  • djolleydjolley Member Posts: 10
    I am considering a Durango, Suburban, or Expedition. I am concerned about Safety, Reliability, Gas Mileage, and cost. I do not want anything older than a 1999 and my wife wants a third row seat. Any suggestions?
    So expect some bias, ok? The Durango, while the best looking, IMO, is woefully short on technology, ie; drum brakes on the rear, and on 3rd row seat leg and hip room. It's a long way from the Suburban size. BTW, some Suburbans, older I think, had car brakes on the 2WD versions, which wear out about every 10,000 miles. The three you have chosen are not really competitive, as they differ so much in size. The Expedition is midway between them, and the best overall choice IMO. But the Suburban is generally a good truck, though much larger. The Durango is also durable and very powerful if ordered with the 5.9L V8.
  • djolleydjolley Member Posts: 10
    What kind of fuel economy do you get. I am leaning towards the Expedition and maybe Suburban. I have heard that the Suburban gets better economy than the Expedition and I have some concerns about the rear seat being so close to the rear hatch.
    I have a 1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition with 4WD and 5.4L V8. I get 11-12 MPG in town and 17-18 MPG on the highway at about 75MPH. I have been very happy with this vehicle and can report only needing to have my tires balanced and I have a small rust problem on the bottom of the front doors. If its rusts through Ford will get me new doors so I'm not worried about it. I would look at 2000 and newer models as those faired very well in Consumer Reports.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I am looking at a pretty loaded '03 EB 4x2 with the 5.4, moonroof, DVD, and side canopy. I have a price negotiated of 34,660 with the MSRP being 41,160. First off is this a good deal (it does have 1100 mi on it)?? Second is there anyway to add a tv tuner to the stock dvd system? Is the above gas mileage what I should expect? I was given the vehicle to drive over the weekend and noticed a vibration over 70 mph. Anyone have similar problems it has the continental tires on it and I have not checked the air pressure. Any feed back would be appreciated.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I can comment on one question. I too have a vibration at 70+ mph. Dealer says my front tires are out of round and they have ordered replacments. My rear tires were also not balanced properly at delivery.
  • sleeping_docsleeping_doc Member Posts: 3
    Hi! does anyone know if the Expy's LARGE exterior side mirrors can be fitted with Lincoln Navigator's power fold side mirrors?
    The Expedition (and, to a lesser extent, the Durango) compete with the Tahoe as far as size goes, not the Suburban. The Excursion competes with the Suburban.
  • joeurbanekjoeurbanek Member Posts: 1
    Regarding pricing, I think you will be able to do a little better. I was at Leif Johnson Ford in Austin looking at an '03 Expedition decked out. List was $43,024. They immediately went to $35,736 without any pressure from me. There was a $1500 rebate included. This equates to a 16.9% discount. Your deal was 15.8% disc. I would go back for a better deal.
    The deal I posted was excluding rebate. The price including rebate was 33160. I walked on the deal cuz they tried to jerk me around in the finance office. I still think the expy is a great deal for the cash. I was also looking at MDX abd Envoy XL and the expy offered way more for the money.
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    Joe...do you mind sharing how the dealership was trying to give you the run around in the finance office?
    Just played the extended warranty and other back end product game. also quoted me a rate I believed was way high. I may still get an expy but will do the financing on my own. I also was made to wait over an hour to even go in the finance managers office. I don't respond well to those types of sales tactics. So I got up and walked. I have been called back several times but have no interest in dealing with them. (by the way It wasn't joe but me that got the run around)
  • tloftustloftus Member Posts: 7
    Looking for an XLT 4x4. Have NO towing needs. Any opinions on which engine to opt for!
    4.6L will be fine for most people if you only have 2WD. The 5.4L would be better for 4WD Expeditions IMO. Have you driven a 4X4 Expy with both engines? I would think that to be your best bet. Some say that the 4.6L suits their needs just fine. So I guess it just depends how power hungry you are ;-)
  • sleeping_docsleeping_doc Member Posts: 3
    I would have gotten the 4.6 since the mpg is better. But the AdvnceTrak only comes on the 5.4L, that's why I got the 5.4. Ever notice how a lot of SUV's tails spin out of control during the rain or or curvy roads? I think eventually the AdvanceTrak can be improved enough to replace the need for 4x4(unless one lives in a snowy or muddy area)
  • alexm234alexm234 Member Posts: 10
    Got a beautiful black Expedition last month. XLT popular, with bucket seats, and cd changer. Got a good deal at Joe Myers in Houston. Sticker 34,430. Went out paying $29000 with rebate. Bought over the internet. First thousand miles on it this week and loving this vehicle. Had such a good experience may decide to buy a New Mazda 6 from them in the near future.
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    Does the 29,000 include the tax and title?
  • alexm234alexm234 Member Posts: 10
    No it was about 31200 drive out. Still think I did pretty well considering its a new model. My first Ford too.
    Hi,

I'm also in houston. I am glad I waited I had a deal wriiten up 33160 on a 41100 MSRP it was an eddie bauer. There is an additional 1000 bonus cash availble on the expedition now. I dealt with russell smith.
    I admit I like (or demand) good power from a vehicle, but I don't think the 4.6L in this vehicle would get you enough more mileage to make it worth the power drop. I would insist on the 5.4L, personally, no matter what the package.

Actually can't believe Ford still puts the 4.6L in the truck, unless it's the 32V version.
  • rbroylesrbroyles Member Posts: 5
    Hope someone could give some input.A dealer has a left over 2001 xlt 4x4 sport exped for sale.Seems loaded but cant find a dollar figure to offer.No help from edmunds/or kbb. msrp41225 any input would be appreciated. THANX and happy holidays to all
    RB
    But my dealer offers $7,000 - $10,000 off sticker for leftovers. That's left over a long time though, and I have to wonder why......
    I would hit it at about 25k you could get a new 03 for 33 and that is for an eddie bauer with dvd and sunroof.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We don't show a "Sport," but maybe the ranges we do have will be of some help:

2001 Ford Expedition

There's also a Customized Appraisal button that will let you play with the mileage, etc.

Steve, Host

• rbroylesrbroyles Member Posts: 5
    Thanx for your input,they describe it as a 4x4 xlt sport.I was wondering too why they had a 01 so long. Carfax wouldnt work never titled.Well have a great holiday season to all. I do enjoy the input on this forum
  • jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    When I put my Expy in A4WD, it seems like I get fewer miles per gallon. This is driving in the rain, when I am not even slipping. Is this possible?
    Anytime you drive powering all four wheels you will use more gas than when driving two. If you keep it in A4WD then the vehicle will use all four-wheels whenever needed. This happens during turns, starts, and general driving whenever it senses impending slippage. You should not "feel like you are slipping" as it is doing it's job but rest assured, if you are driving with it in that position, even with dry roads, you are going to be shifting from 2 to 4 wheel drive whenever it senses it needs it.
  • jjmd1jjmd1 Member Posts: 14
    Mfuller,
    Thank you for the prompt response. I did not think about starting, turning or driving on dry roads.
    Have you gotten your new Expy yet? Or are you going to hang onto the Bravada for awhile?
    GM, after two weeks of negotiations, decided not to let me end my lease early on the Bravada. I think they baled because I had originally told them I would buy a Yukon but a couple of weeks later, while I was at the dealership for one my many trips, I was talking to the service advisor about the Expy. Who knows. So now I'm trying to transfer my lease and I'm hoping to soon. I can't handle another 16 months with the POS that the Bravada has turned out to be.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I am sure you meant Promises Over Substance! :-)

tidester, host
    Ok, so I finally drove the Expedition on Saturday. I was very impressed with ride but now I have the following questions/remarks:

1. I'm not sure whether to get the bench middle seat or Captain Chairs. I'm not sure I like the "minivan" look of the Captains Chairs. I also wonder about the hole left by the middle seat when all the seats are down. On the pro side: I cannot believe they didn't put an armrest in the middle seat and I really don't need to haul more than 7 people.

2. I don't understand why Ford doesn't link the Memory seats to the radio/HVAC settings (ala: GM). Also, the "exit" function only moves the seat back (and not down). I keep the seat all the way up when I drive and I found myself hitting my knee on the steering wheel when getting out since it doesn't move the seat down. Plus I have to "jump" into the seat when I get in.

3. I really HATE the japanese style steering wheel tilt lever. I can see myself never messing with it (which results in hitting my knees on it like I said in number 2).

4. Love the power fold rear seats. And the room back there!!!!

5. The leather seats are AWEFUL. I'm not sure they don't use a top-grade vinyl and just say it's leather.

Ok, so this is the first Ford I've ever looked at seriously. I know I shouldn't compare it to GM but thats all I know. It's sad to see Ford takes so long to copy the technology of the others. (Remember how Ford didn't even have an AUTOMATIC power antenna until 1988!!!!! That's ridiculous!)
    I know exactly what you are saying on some of these things. The leather is rough and firm but is actually of higher quality than the previous Expedition. It just has all sorts of stuff in it to keep it from cracking and staining. Where as GM's leather is in most cars very soft to the touch. However 4 years down the road people in my family have had it crack and wear through on the seats edge. Like my 1999 Expedition. It has the soft leather in it and its even starting to wear on the edge (side closest to the door) because of the stresses of entry and exit.
    I totally agree with you on the Japanese steering wheel adjuster too. I can't stand those and much prefer the spring operated lever.
    I have owned Ford's for some time now so I'm not up to date with GM's technology. I was surprised to hear that they have memory for the radio and HVAC. THATS COOL! I guess its not the memory for the HVAC that I'm crazy about with the changing seasons/temps here in Michigan. However memory radio would be terrific! For now my wife just uses FM1 and I use FM2. It works but there are still more stations that I would like to have on memory.
    I guess the next step for you is to decide if these gripes you have are things that you can live with or not. Not that I'm trying to talk you into or out of an Expedition (I like them alot), But maybe the Yukon or Tahoe is a better choice? They do have soft leather seats, the spring loaded steering wheel adjustment and probably have those memory settings that you mentioned. Anyway keep us all updated and have a wonderful holiday!
    mfullmer wrote, "It's sad to see Ford takes so long to copy the technology of the others."

If I may, I'd like to add some factual data here. For example, while Ford started putting fuel injection on their cars generally in 83, and had the entire fleet of engines converted to Multi-port FI by 1987, GM continued to build some cars with throttle body FI until 2 years ago. Not all of them, but some engines were never converted until they were replaced by new engines. In fact, the 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham I had still had a carburetor on top of a Chevy 350 motor! I started spotting coil on plug technology in Ford engines in 1998. GM just began using it last year on some engines. Yes, Cadillac had the famous V-8-6-4 failure in 1980, technology, but it didn't work. The 4.1 aluminum Cadillac engine was a fully modern design, but failed usually by about 40,000 miles in everything they used it in. I lost 3 of them.

Now, I'll agree with you, that the Ford trucks, including the Navigator I have is missing some stuff I would like to have - the memory profile is one. The Continental has had that since 95, tying the mirrors, seat position HVAC controls and radio preferences to the driver. But the trucks don't get it. They should. Also, reclining seatbacks should be power, not manual. I too hate the new tilt wheel. I see the Volvo has them too. But comparing apples to apples, the Cadillac Escalade, Johnny come lately that it was, didn't even get electronic climate control until 2002, and still has the Chevy dash and stereo controls.
    The EB Expedition and Navigator had Electronic Climate since 1998, as did the EB Explorer and Mountaineer in the upscale version. The new Explorer and Expedition have independent rear suspension, allowing those "power" back seats to fall flat into the floor. NOBODY has that technology other than Ford yet. They have the keypad on the door, and if you've ever wanted to leave the car running while you ran into the house, it's great. The IRS eliminates all of the pitch and yaw the old versions, and all of the GM versions have and contributes greatly to handling.

GM is still putting out pushrod engines and calling them groundbreaking, while Ford is introducing an ever growing fleet of overhead cam engines in the 3 and 4 valve per cylinder iterations. Even the small 6 cylinder engine in the Explorer is of OHC design. The engine in the Town Car, Crown vic and Grand Marquis has been of OHC design since 1993. Not that GM still makes that platform, but their competition, if you can call it that, is the Impala, with the pushrod V-6 updated from about 1975 when Buick brought it out. It's a good engine, I still have one, but it's not a technological marvel even today.

So I have some complaints with Ford too, but on the technology front, I have not seen GM taking the lead since about 1986, which is why I'm in Ford stuff now. As for the power antenna, I for one was disappointed when Ford "cheaped out" and eliminated the separate button to raise and lower the power antenna. It took away my choice to leave it up when I turned the car off, and wore out the motor.
    Navigator3740-You make some very good points. I was thinking of doing exactly what you did listing the Expeditions many assets. The reason I didn't was because I figured that Mfullmer had already known about those features and just had concerns with the ones that he posted. I also agree that Ford has more "high tech" engines than GM, but I am disappointed that their (GM's) motors always feel more torquey. The 5.4L 260 HP V8 in my Expedition defiantly doesn't feel that big. I know it pushes alot of weight and its AWD but my friends 2000 Yukon XL kills my Expy off the line. I guess there are trade offs. GM is having problems with piston slap and such. Where Fords 5.4L V8 during 1999 and 2000 have head gasket leaking (oil) problems but is otherwise an excellent engine. It just seems that all car companies have some edge somewhere.

Mfullmer- What I'm doing when I say look at the Yukon or Tahoe is just pointing out two other capitable vehicles. This is coming from a Ford guy too;-) I know that you are fed up with GM so maybe this (going Ford) is a good change. However this is Expeditions first year. Ford did alot to make sure that there wont be any problems but things do show up on first year vehicles. So far there has only been 1 major problem on the 4x4 Expeditions and there is a fix for that. So I guess I'm just trying to caution. The Ford Expedition is a terrific new SUV and has ALOT to offer, but since it is a first year vehicle it may not be totally free from recalls and defects (something that I think you are trying to get away from). If I was in the market for a new SUV now I would get the Expedition because (1)I am a Ford guy and (2) because my past experiences with Ford first year vehicles has been relatively positive.

I became a Ford guy in 1986 after GM gave me a Lemon Cutlas Ciera. I know its not much of a car to begin with but its how they handled the problem that made me switch car companies.
  • mardynmardyn Member Posts: 12
    Hello all, I'm pretty serious on getting a new '03 Expedition later this week... have a coupla' questions. Any answers would be appreciated...

With a 5.4L 2wd & 3.73 rear gear, what kinda' fuel milage can one realistcally expect? City? Highway @ 70 mph? Any thoughts?

Also, I don't really like the massive center console that runs all the way to the dash. I'd much prefer the floor area between the driver & passeger areas to be open. I wonder if there is carpet under the console?

btw, price here in DFW area is apprximately $32,906.00 drive out (no DVD, but has power fold rear seat)

Anything else I', missing here? Again, any imputs would be appreciated.

Thanks
    David Berry
    JRC: I'm facinated that you get beat. I have raced my partner in his same year Tahoe, and cream him every time. Maybe I'm lucky? I'll admit I like how the GMs drive, but I can't get past what I consider to be archaic technology I find on the OVERDRIVE models....

Mr. Berry, you're going to get horrible mileage, ok? If you're buying for mileage, you're looking at the wrong vehicle. Realistically, you're going to get 13 city, 16 HWY in an Expedition, no matter what you do. And I can't believe you want the console out. Where would you put your "stuff"? On the seat? Exactly the reason I LIKE the big SUVs...... Whatever.

I rented an 03 Expedition from Hertz in Phoenix last Thursday, and took it to Glendale and back. There were 3 to 6 passengers throughout the day for those of you who cringe because I'm wasting resources, but that's another board.

I think the new version Expedition drives nicer than my current Navigator. I'm really impressed with how well it holds a lane, and the old pitch & yaw from the live axle is now gone. I'm not in love with the dash appearance, and I hate that tilt wheel, but from a performance perspective, this truck felt like solid gold. No rattles, squeaks or air noise, everything worked perfectly, and the power was great. I'm very impressed. Usually on a rental, you can find a problem. Not on this one. I did note it was averaging 13 MPG, which is no surprise at all.

Thanks for your encouraging words on the new Expedition. This vehicle sounds more and more like my next vehicle, though probably in a year or so. I think I may have to test drive one myself ;-) In what year did the Navigators get 300 HP? If your Navigator has 260 like mine then maybe I just dont know how to drag (lol who thought anyone would be racing SUV's? Haha).
    On plus side I do get 2 more MPG than my buddy with his Yukon XL.