Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malbu Maxx Tires/Wheels

sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
Warning! 15" wheels for the Malibu sedan do not fit on the Maxx. I ordered 205/70R15 snows on 15" wheels to get the taller tire (besides, 16"steel wheels were not available from Tirerack) My reasoning - The Sedan LS comes with 16" alloy wheels just like the Maxx. GM likes to use the same parts across as many vehicles as possible and the 205/70/15s had the same diameter as the 215/60R16. (Kurtamaxx had pointed this out) Stud spacing and offset are the same for both cars. My dealer even said the 15" wheels should work. SO, it should be an even swap. WRONG! I made the mistake of unwrapping all of the tire/wheel sets before trying on the right front. I couldn't kick myself hard enough when the wheel mount face would not reach the stud plate because of interference with the brake calipers. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!

Best case I'm out $210 for shipping each way and a $60 "unmount" charge. The tire/wheel package was only $460 to start with. :cry:

Comments

• meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Sorry to hear about the mess sschriber, The problem is the Maxx has slightly larger disks then the sedan,not much but just enough to make your life miserable.
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    I did the same thing!!! Ordered 205/65/R15's on steel wheels and they don't fit. The Tire Rack has not gotten back to me with a resolution. I think they (the Tire Rack)share some blame because the choices are "Malibu", "Malibu LT" and "Malibu Classic". Of those three choices, "Malibu" most closely matches my Malibu Maxx LS...

I am concerned that the Tire Rack 16" steel wheels will be too small (inside diameter) as well. There was more than 1/2 inch (radius) interference on the 15 inch. Maybe even 17" for the steel wheels due to the design?
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    If I understand this post correctly the wheels ordered were aftermarket.

Has anyone tried using 15" wheels that were standard equipment on the '04 Malibu sedans, on a Maxx? Both steel and aluminum 15" were available, I believe. I never use aftermarket wheels - just whatever was available for my model year - although some models are similar, such as Camaro and Firebird, and the wheels are interchangeable.

The Hollander wheel reference manual is a good source to cross check what fits.
  • bryonkbryonk Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, been snooping around here lately. I own an 04 LS with stock 16" wheels. Have 29K on the original tires. Does anyone know how wide you can go on these wheels? 225/235? And what the penalty may be in terms of fuel economy by putting more rubber on the road? Thanks.

-B
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I upgraded to a 17 inch custom rim...225/50/17 and while the stance and cornering are a bit better the additional wheel and tire weight cost me between a half to a full mile per gallon less in the MPG.....pics in my car space

http://www.carspace.com/pao
  • hhmaxhhmax Member Posts: 44
    Found a nail on the tire: 05 maxx OEM tire. I pulled the nail out, the tire is not leaking yet. My question, what is the thickness of the tire? The nail is about 5 mm long. The nail was not on the side of the tire.

Is it still safe to drive? Or can you patch the tire? If not, can I change one tire only? The set has about 20,000 KMs.
    thanks!
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Tires can be safely patched in the tread area. 5 mm isn't long enough to penetrate the carcass but for peace of mind it may be worth doing a bath test to source a slow leak.
  • hhmaxhhmax Member Posts: 44
    Thanks for the reply prdm. The hold is just outside of the line: A guy in an auto shop told me that it is boarderline to be considered the side wall. He also said if there is no leak, don't worry about it and it is probably good for another 10K kms.

Searched the internet, found that there is the thing called tire plug. Will it help?
    a tire plug is good if you have a complete hole in the tire..its like an inverted mushroom...the tire must be taken off the rim...the stem of the plug is then inserted into the hole and the cap of the mushroom forms a patch on the inside of the tire....base type of tire repair IMHO....
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Actually lasted longer than I thought they would given the mediocre specs. Unlike some others I actually liked these tires. I have a bit over 40,000 miles on them, and they may go another 10K if I'm lucky. Only rotated them once because I was more afraid of having the rotors warped.

These were much better tires than the Michelin Energies on my Hyundai which crapped out in 35K and sucked on wet roads. Had good luck with replacement Uniroyal Tiger Paw H's, note that there is a non-H rated Tiger Paw. Kind of funny that the cheap end of the Michelin line served me a lot better than the more expensive Michelins but that was the way it was on that car at least.

Any suggestions? I want to keep payments relatively low.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I agree; I think they were the best OEM tire I have ever had. I went with Bridgestone G009. While they are a good tire, they spin out pretty easily. Perhaps it is because the Maxx has too much torque from a stop. Consumer Reports has done a tire comparison pretty recently. I'd check that out in the library.
    I ran a set of sumitomo HTR H4s....listed as high performance all season.....Tire rack lists them at $56 a tire.....thought I didnt run them on my Maxx...I did have set on my mustang which was replaced by the maxx.....I upgraded my wheel size to 17 inch and running michelins pilots...with great results..but they are pricey.....
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Other than being somewhat harsh over small bumps, they grip better than the former Bridgstone Invictas did and seem to be wearing well (around 20K miles on them so far and no major tread wear).
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    If you live where it snows, I would highly suggest Nokian WR's "extended" all seasons. They are good in the dry/wet and excellent in the snow along with having better response than the stock Bridgestones. Downsides are they are a bit noisier, seem to have dropped my mileage a little and are over $100 ea...
    Having grown up in South Dakota I gotta say Missouri ain't Minnesota, although ice isn't exactly nice.
  • myearymyeary Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx LS that I just purchased.What Im needing to know is the factory tire presure recomendations.The label is on the drivers side front door and all the print has been rubbed off for some reason and I am a stickler when it comes to tires and the factory specs.Thanks in advance.
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    30 on front and back and 60 I think for the spare.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    But 30 is the number for front and back. I have a buddy who operates a tire shop/garage and he was able to get me that figure as well.
    Soft ride is still the rule with some American manufacturers. Think they'd learn after the Ford/Firestone fiasco. The Bridgestones ride well at 35.
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    I run my tires at about 33-34 psi. But the recommendation is 30psi.
    32 psi for back, 34 psi for front, 60 psi for spare.

Front carries over 60% of weight so it seems to make sense to give front a little more to prevent severe understeer.
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Placard on door frame on our '05 Maxx LS claims 30 lb all around. Pertaining to your weight bias comment I've got a Contour that is designed with 31 front and 34 rear - go figure.
    30 is the typical American car manufacturer's idea of soft ride over good handling. I have good luck with 36 all around on the 'Bu. Offsets some of the sloppiness with the electric steering.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Anyone have any experience with any of the following Goodyear products on a Maxx (or other Malibu)?:

Regatta 2
    Asssurance Comfortread
    Assurance Tripletread

I'm concerned about effects on gas mileage and snow traction. Like someone else here, I have 40K miles on my original Bridgestones. I like the fuel mileage I get with them, but the winter traction leaves a bit to be desired.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I also liked the OEM tires. I replaced mine with Bridgestone Potenza G009s. The were rated very well on Tire Rack. They are a good tire, although I can squeel them around corners. I guess I'll have to find something better to handle my indy driving style. The Maxx is so much fun to drive. Check out Tire Rack. I believe there is a Michelin tire that is rated extrememly well, and I believe is available at several big box wholesale clubs.
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    My Bridgestones had 43,000 on them and I could have gotten another 4-5,000, but I got a flat and rather than messing with them any more I decided to go new.

After some heavy research I decided on Michelin Radial X DT from Sam's Club. Treadwear rating 740. There's a special on - if 4 are purchased the price is reduced $60.

They've just been on about a week and the biggest difference I've noticed is handling - it's exceptional. The ride seems somewhat better. By the way, Michelin now owns Goodrich and Uniroyal.

Also: Unidirectional tires were off my buy list for not being able to be properly rotated - two examples are Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred and Michelin HydroEdge.
    I have tripletreads on my Maxx and noted they provided better grip and squealed less than the Bridgstone Invicta tires that were stock. However, the tripletreads can occasionally be somewhat harsh on bumps. Tripletread wear life seems very good - around 35K mostly freeway and around town miles on mine so far and very little noticeable wear.
  • 07maxxlt07maxxlt Member Posts: 1
    I have oem steel wheels and plastic wheel covers that I want to swap out with oem 5 spoke alloy wheels. Anyone know of a certain place near Oklahoma that has them cheap? I just bought my O7 Maroon Maxx LT with 30,000 miles in Texas for about $3,000 less than than here in Oklahoma. Those plastic wheel covers are the only thing that I really cannot stand. Thanks in Advance for All of Your Help.
  • blackbear84blackbear84 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I just bought a Malibu 2009 2.4L engine (2 days old).
    I have some wheel-locks nuts from my previous car, and I wanted to install them in my new Malibu.
    (To prevent tire removal)

My car have a plastic wheel cover with 5 plastic wheel nuts caps protecting the actual wheel nuts.

The manual said to [quote] remove the wheel cover from the wheel to locate the wheel nuts [quote/]

page 5/79

And that is my problem, all the nuts (plastic) unscrew just a little and them spin freely.
    I tried to pull them out with a plier after lossening them, but they stuck.

I have no way to remove them, I need help, maybe one of you guys know the trick to take out the plastic cover.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
    All the best
    blackbear84
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Just loosen the plastic nuts till they are floating around (they stay with the cover.) You then stick a tire iron or screwdriver under the plastic wheel cover and pop it up in a few places and it will fall off with the plastic nuts still attached to the cover. Just line it back up when you pop the cover back on the rim and they will screw back down (they don't have to be on too tight)
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    all the nuts (plastic) unscrew just a little and them spin freely.

For how long? Could it be that you are not spinning them long enough?

I tried to pull them out with a plier after lossening them, but
    they stuck.

That should mean that the plastic "nuts" are still sitting on the
    "real", metal wheel nuts. (A wheel nut has the threads on the
    outside, the plastic "nuts" have the thread on the inside.) Keep
    spinning for a bit longer, going around all five of them.

Now, I have no experience with Malibu 2009 -- the above is based on
    dealing with the previos generation's Malibus. In fact, I rotated the
    tires in my newly acquired Maxx just today -- its wheel covers are
    similar to the sedan's ones. I would be surprised if Malibu 2009's
    wheels covers are significantrly different.
  • davimmsdavimms Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 Malibu maxx.....I was wondering if the rims from a Chevy Cobalt SS would fit on my Malibu.....They are 205/50R17..Thanks in advance.....Dave
    Me again,

the cobalt rims #'s are as follows.....bolt circle.. 5x110mm, hub dia.. 65.1mm, offset.. 49mm

the malibu maxx rim #'s are as follows...bolt circle... 5x110mm, hub dia.. 65.1mm,
    offset....42mm

My malibu maxx now has 16 inch rims..tire size P215/60R/16

The rim that I want to put on my Malibu Maxx from The Cobalt SS tire size is P205/50/17

My question is will the Cobalt ss rims fit on my Malibu Maxx.....I don't want to buy these rims and not fit my car..........Thanks in advance....Dave..
    I currently running a 17 inch rim on my 04 Maxx with 225/50-17 tires on it....mine are aftermarket rims....dont know if the offset will cause you an issue or not
    I was told the wrong offset for the Cobalt.......It's not 49mm.....The 2007 Cobalt SS and Malibu Maxx LTZ factory wheel specs are both the same.......Bolt Pattern is 5x110....Hub is 65.1 and the offset is 42mm.....

So I would assume that if they are both the same The Cobalt SS rims should fit my Malibu Maxx LTZ....If I'm wrong please let me know........Thanks in advance...Dave..
    Just to update..........I bought the new rims from the Cobalt SS......They fit my car perfect and look awesome......Dealer told me that there is NO way they would fit.....That came from 6 out of seven dealers that I called....CRAZY...You would think that your G.M dealer would know...Apparently NOT!!!!....Why wouldn't they fit.....They have the same bolt pattern...the same hub dia....and the same offset......But according to the dealer they still wouldn't fit.....No wonder I don't use my dealer for service anymore!!!!!!
  • nydogboynydogboy Member Posts: 6
    I had the originals replaced with General Altima HP and this winter they have been outstanding. Last year my wife spun out three times.
    I took a trip to New Orleans and back, 2700 miles, and got 29.2 mpg. The tires were quiet and provided outstanding steering and comfort. I drove between 75-80, but once in awhile I had to go 90 to get away from a pack.
  • suchaladysuchalady Member Posts: 2
    Whats the biggest rim that will fit on my 2005 Malibu Maxx without getting a lift kit? Suggestions?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    I think you need to be thinking in terms of tire size.

Both Tire Rack and Discount Tire have up sizing features on their web site to help with the selection. If they indicate a certain size fits, you can take that as a guarrantee! If they don't indicate a certain size fits, you can take it that there would be problems!