Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Steering/Suspension Questions

Comments

• davidwlidavidwli Member Posts: 9
    Go to your GM dealer and tell them what happened as there is an extended warranty from GM on this specific matter; I know as I have the letter which GM mailed to all owners. I can fax you a copy if needed...Dave
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Go to your GM dealer and tell them what happened as there is an extended warranty from GM on this specific matter; I know as I have the letter which GM mailed to all owners. I can fax you a copy if needed...Dave

I don't recall ever receiving this letter on my wife's 2006. What was the wording? (was it about rack problems on previous years, and did it specifically say it was for all components of the steering, or just the rack?) Thanks.
  • tas7107tas7107 Member Posts: 6
    Thankx, I'll look in to it...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I no longer own a Maxx but to back up last entry , can add the windshield deicer did ok job helping clearing snow from windshield. However, you'll need to get snow off the cowl for proper ventilation. Rear defogger did ok at helping get ice off rear.

In __snow__, the Maxx with Tripletreads was acceptable if not outstanding.
    On ice, the Maxx will go nowhere or skid its front, especially if you brake or accelerate.

Blizzak series 60 tires may help (I've not used them).
    Seems my wife's '06 Maxx is true to form with many others on the intermediate shaft steering clunk problem. We just had the 22687711 kit installed today at 32K (just a bit before our warranty expires).

From what I've read the fix is not permanent and we can expect it to re-occur around 60K or so. I might just try the lube method once we're formally out of warranty.

All in all the car has treated her great and it's been her best car to date, averaging over 30MPG since it's now warm weather.
  • smaxxsmaxx Member Posts: 10
    I have an 06 Maxx SS with 36,000 miles. I had the same steering clunk as everyone else. Dealer replaced steering shaft and front struts at 31,000 mi. The noise is gone for now, but I expect it to return again someday.
  • notascirocconotascirocco Member Posts: 6
    Took my 2006 Maxx in for first service since I bought it (used). Asked service mgr if there was a permanent fix for the clunk. He said he had an intermediate steering shaft that was a sealed unit. I said go ahead and install it (covered by warranty). I guess the old shaft had to be constantly lubricated, not so with the sealed unit. It's only been two days since the service so I can't say if it will last, but it makes sense that it would.
    By any chance did your paperwork mention the 22687711 kit ? (I'm hoping that kit is the sealed unit you were referring to). I just had this work done in the past few weeks
    (but others have mentioned the same kit for some time)

Thanks if you can check.
    The last replacement I had for the shaft, which I think was the newest type, got rid of the clunk (trouble free for 4000 miles, at which point I traded the car for an AWD'er to handle winters better).
  • denisceopmdenisceopm Member Posts: 1
    People, you have no ideal how far the GM steering problems go. There are some real mechanical issues. I have a 2005 malibu maxx ls with the 3,5 lt. Let me share the many parts replaced. 1. upper control arms, 4 racks, 4 sets of outer tie rods, 3 steering wheel control modules, 3 steering wheel column. 7 times my local chevy dealer had to hook up a steering module scanner to re configure the steering axis. It fail ever time. Nothing work, until. I decided to take it to a different dealer to get a second opinion. A GMC dealer. This dealer flat out said they knew of the problem and had no real pernament fix. The next day I was called and was told that they found a code that relates to a fix. but was told they could not promise a pernament fix. That was June 13th 2008, I have had this problems for almost 2 years, I have this car for 3 years. This also was the only time I received a code for anything with this car. To add, this code was not a alert code, but a stored code. They had to use a steering module scan tool to dig it up. This code, if fixed will solve your loss of power steering after acceleration. The problem, a high amount of volts going through the module component. Remember this is a nonhydrolic steering system, except for the rack, which means you can now have electrical problems when it comes to steering issues. Now you think that would me happy. Well at first I was until the squeaky, very loud noise that came from the rack and column. Thank God I got a extended warranty. I'm done.
  • trobbinstrobbins Member Posts: 3
    See below where I'm not alone here. Picked up an '05 car 3 weeks ago- 68,ooo km on it. Its my wife's car, but I drove it to work today. Power steering quit on the highyway. I'm reasonably fit, so it was no big deal, but would have scared the heck out of my wife. David W mentioned he has a letter on this. Could you please fax a copy to Terry at 902-873-6610.
    I can see a fight with GM coming on!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    this was a complaint filed with the NHTSA who open an engineer design fault study on the issue....it was subsequently closed as it was noted it wasnt a major occurrence in a large enough volume of vehicles and that GM/dealerships were taking appropriate actions when the issue occurred....I have an 04 Malibu Maxx LT....which now has almost 130K on it.....and havent had one problem with the steering or the front suspension.....

this doesnt dismiss the fact that some are having steering column problems that should be addressed by the dealership...the regional tech rep or other GM field rep. The front suspension is a bad design, allowing for clunking etc...but certainly not one that would require the amount of replacement parts that some have seen......can the dealerships simply be replacing parts hit and miss...to try to eliminate something that actually cant be fixed.....dont know.....I hope you can find a solution to your issue......ultimately, if you arent happy with the auto...get rid of it.....
  • pkd01branpkd01bran Member Posts: 10
    Yes, you all have no idea how bad/far the problems go. I think I know this by now: (1) The dealer has to know what they are doing with this stuff. (2) The dealer has to expertly scan, using the proper special scan tool. (3) There are sensors inside the column/electric-motor area that have to be working/adjusted right for the motor electronics (inter-related with the whole GM-LAN computer that runs everything on the car) to deliver the correct assist (right vs. left, among other things) or any assist at all, for that matter. (4) Everything, in general, about the whole steering/suspension/wheels/tires system on the whole car is incredibly sensitive. (5) IF the dealer knows what they are doing, and replaces the proper parts with the LATEST versions of the various replacement parts, then things should work reasonably well. For a while. In any case, I suggest cultivating a close working relationship with the best top-notch "front-end suspension" - type independent repair shop in your area; you'll likely need it sooner or later, if only as a "consultant".
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I'll have an even better story for all of you shortly; hopefully by the end of the week. My outcome better be a good one, or the story will get even better than than what it is. Needless to say, the Maxx won't be driven by me any longer.

Signed: no-more-maxx4me
    Oh No.....more problems???
    If the power steering on your Malibou quits there is a service bulletin on it. It covers the car for 7 years or 107,000 km. The bulletin is Special Policy Coverage 07126. There is no charge for the repairs.
    VIN has to be between 5F100001 and 5F2500216
    but is this warranty for GM Canada alone since you mention KMS in the mileage..or does it apply to GM US
    Good question; mine's Canadian, but I can't believe all those VIN's - range is 1/4 million- were sold in Canada.
    I'll try to find out from the Dealer
  • morainemoraine Member Posts: 4
    I have looked at the Maxx and it would fit my needs, but am quite concerned about the steering and front end issues.

1. Did they correct those problems for the 2006 and 2007 models?

2. On another post I read that the cars with Vin Numbers between 5F100001 and 5F250216 in the 2005 models were the problem ones. Did the problems extend to other Vin numbers and later models?

3. If one purchases a used Maxx and it has the problems that have been well documented in this forum, does anyone know if they are still covered by GM even if the warranty has now expired?

Thanks
    This issue came up again and this time a check engine light came on in addition to the "Power Steering" message. Took the Maxx into the dealer and $375 later it is supposedly repaired. I was told that the power steering electrical system was recieving an over volt in excess of 16v. That kinda jives with the this only occuring at high RPM. The fix was to replace an igintion coil and a ground strap. I dunno, it seems to be fixed.
    Well in 44k miles the only repairs I've done to my '06 Maxx have been related to an electrical issue in the power steering($375). No clunks or rack problems. I also just bought new upgraded front rotors and pads for the brakes ($375). To me thats not much to spend on repairs after having had a Mini Cooper and a SAAB 9-3 in the family. I love the utility, room, power and economy of my Maxx.
    My steering did indeed have the high voltage problem. My dealer found it and fixed. FWIW
    the steering column was not redesigned nor was the suspension for the later MY Maxxs....the vins you quote I beleive are Canadian delivery cars and not US, my vin number for my 04 doesnt have that many digits after the "F" thus my suspicion of Canadian only....as far as warranty coverage outside the norm....unless that specific vehicle has a documented history, I would think you would be hard fought to get warranty coverage....

I have an 04 Maxx LT with 130K miles on it now...and no problems what so ever...
    Steering Columm replaced (was one of those with bad contacts)
    Both front struts replaced
    Rack main gear replaced 3 times
    Columm regreased 3 times
    Intermediate shaft replaced twice.

This was during my 4 years of ownership. At 57K miles, and the Maxx proving helpless on OR icy roads, it was time to put it out to trade pasture (last I heard, itw was on its way to Texas).
  • notascirocconotascirocco Member Posts: 6
    That's the part number for the kit comem47. Still holding up at two weeks.
    That's the part number for the kit comem47. Still holding up at two weeks.

Thanks for the feedback. One would think that if the first shaft lasted 32K then the kit should give you at least the same miles (if not finally be the cure). I'll be happy if we get to 60K before having to spend some $ (so far the '06 has been great for my wife
    and no other problems that others have mentioned from earlier years) Getting 30MPG on a V6 is good too (we had to laugh when the dealer called last week and was trying to get us to trade in on something with not even 2 yrs on a 4 yr loan. If it was a lemon we might be tempted, but then again we'd likely be shopping elsewhere next time around too!!)
    They must really be hurting for business these days with the economy in the dumper and they will get it only if this car lasts us what I think it should. (I've always tended to keep cars several years).
  • hhmaxhhmax Member Posts: 44
    do you have this part number? I have a 2005 maxx LT and the dealer said that the sealed unit isn't available for this model.
    If the only problem you end up with is "that the steering wheel is not straight across" (i.e., is not "centered"), consider yourself a fantastically lucky carowner. Also, it is technically possible that the "centered" position of the wheel, even if everything is supposedly working properly and supposedly adjusted properly and supposedly aligned properly, may slightly vary over time (minutes to hours to days to weeks, etc.) with no real harm being done.
  • mikengusmikengus Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Maxx LS with 50,000 miles. This is a great car but I had the same steering clunk as everyone else over a year until I found this link:
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/suspension-squeeking-over-bumps-57730/?t-- 57730.html (see post by GMCSonoma)

I followed the instruction:
    - Bought a bottle Multi-Purpose Lubricant, Superlube (GM Part No. U.S. 12346241, in Canada 10953474). It costed me $12 from a nearby Chevy dealer.
    - Opened the driver door, spray into the gap as instructed.
    - Wiped off any excessive lubricant.

That was it! Now my car is running just like new again!

If it does not work for your car, there is still another solution on GMCSonoma's post that you may try.
  • pheislerpheisler Member Posts: 6
    I had the steering column replaced today on my 2005 Maxx, after 39,000 miles. Had the steering gear assembly replaced a couple thousand miles ago. I paid for labor, GM bought the parts both times. The sealed unit IS available for the 2005 Maxx. That's what I had installed today. Dealer thinks this should solve the clunking problems for good. Let's hope so.
  • ba32347ba32347 Member Posts: 8
    I would like to see the letter too

ba32347@att.net

2005 Malibu alarm goes off and car stops. Going 55 the first time turning a corner the 2nd time
    I bought mine used a month ago. I have had it 2 weeks the dealer has had it 2 weeks...
    The car has 27300 miles on it, was suppose to of been a leased car, by previous owner..
    my problems not fixed yet...
    while driving 55 alarm went off and car stopped running.
    2nd time..while turning a corner alarm goes off car stopped and started going again.

when turning key it seems to keeps going (starting,) like it hasn't started. this happens now and then
    dealer says they cant find a problem. and it hasn't done it with them on any problems

the dealer did say they fixed the popping noise when turning...said it was in the steering co;lumn. this has stopped.

the front end seems loose...go over a bumpy road slow, front of car seems loose and jolting felling.

dealer said a headlight was loose...sure

do I have rights with it being a used car under no warrainty?? :mad: :cry:
    doubt you will have anything covered under warranty...the problems you mentioned are common to the 04-07 MY Malibus.....the electronic steering was an issue...man examples of replaced columns..the popping sound was probably corrected with proper lubrication........the starting issue is common too....mine does the same thing....no fix....I use my remote start most fo the time to avoid that issue.....yours may or may not be equipped with remote start as it was an option based on certain models.....front suspension.....engineering design issue in my opinion....you will have to live with it....the alarm and shut down issue...I dont have a clue...dont recall seeing that anywhere.....perhaps a ECM reflash issue...

with all that said...04 Malibu Maxx here with 135K on it.....and no steering column issues....do have the start issue on once in a while and do have the "loose" front suspension......but doesnt seem to have any long term effect on the auto...
    thanks for the info you sent hope mine last for 6 yrs lol until it paid for...looks like cheve would do something about the problems since alot of people have it.

thanks again
    they seemed to have fixed all the problems with the new designed 08 Malibu from what Im seeing....the steering problem seemed to do away in the 06 MY car..but believe they went away from the electronic steering then.....suspension was better as well by then.....good luck
    (A) You could read all these postings and then try calling the 1-800-CHEVROLET number and try to negotiate for some extended warranty coverage of the steering troubles. (B) Mine has the start trouble, too; as far as I know, the occasional starting motor "running on" does no harm, so I just think of it as an occasional annoyance. (C) If the only steering/suspension problem you end up with is some "loose" sensation in the front, I'd recommend paying the Chevrolet dealer to do a 4-wheel alignment, which can help greatly; also, buy a new dial-type tire guage and always make sure all tires are properly inflated.
    With just 55k miles on it, I started up my MAXX last friday and lo and behold no power steering. Had to have the steering column replaced as apparently the sensors on it for the electric steering are not servicible. This is on top of the power steering failure in June that was remedied by the ignition coil TSB. One more strike and Maxx is outa here.
  • madhatter4madhatter4 Member Posts: 4
    To all the owners of 2004 to 2007 Malibus, you should know that if you have a problem with your shifter, and it needs to be replaced you will have a long wait. The reason for this is that all the cables have been pulled from the market because they are faulty. Many of these cables were also installed on the cars presently on the road. This is across North America. The scrap yards are also empty.
    I have been waiting 4 weeks for a cable, and was told I might get one by August 09. I don"t deal with the dealer on this but directly with GM. :mad:
    Can you elaborate on this cable thing? My wife's '06 is working fine at the moment,
    (to the tune of 40K miles) So is this a failure thing (works for a while and then breaks)
    or what? What happens when it breaks (can't select certain gears?)

Thanks
    My Malibu had around 80,000 Km. when the cable broke. I had just driven in to a parking space for a minute ,turned off the car, and when starting it up, nothing happened. Looking under the hood I noticed that the aircraft cable that is used was at a 90 degree angle to the shifter rod. I am glad the shifter failed then and not when I was in reverse gear. In that case after putting it in what I thought was drive , would still be in reverse gear. The car would shoot backwards possibly hitting another car, or worse still running down a pedestrian.
    The fact that GM pulled all the cables from their shelves and have no supply makes me think that they are trying to hide something. time will tell.">
    So the car is undriveable I take it? Is GM doing anything on a loaner or rental with no cables available? If it's as bad as you say with them pulling all cable stock it sounds like this one should be free if beyond warranty . (I can see it as a safety issue and everyone getting a recall)
    I never had trouble with my shifter cable, but then my Maxx just got past 47K before it was traded.
    same here....no trouble with the shifter cable.....and mine just rolled over 142K this weekend.....
    The last thing that should break on a car is the shifter cable,but from what I was told some of the faulty cables made it to the assembly line and where installed. And I got one of those. It"s now been almost 5 weeks and still waiting. And with GM on the brink of going bankrupt, my cable problem is not at the forefront of things for them to do. :sick:
  • ryrordstarryrordstar Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I just bought an 05 Chevy Malibu Maxx with 48,000 miles on it. The car did not come with an owner's manual so we are trying to figure out how the security system works.

When the car is off and a passenger door is opened the entire car will lock. This is highly frustrating and no matter what setting the security system is at RKE or Passive. Also what do those two settings mean? Also does anyone know where we can get an owner's manual? The dealer said they could not get one.

The other issue that we are noticing is a clunking in the steering when turning at low speeds. There is also a clunking in the passenger front when slowly going over bumps. Could this be related to the steering column issue that has plagued Malibu's? My husband is going to be driving long distances in the car so we'd like to get everything fixed asap. We have 100% dealer warranty on it for 12 months.
    On my wife's '06 the problem was fixed by installing the 22687711 kit .
    Ask your dealer to check into this.

Some of the earlier cars had the whole steering rack replaced, but this sounds like the simpler problem that is fixed by the kit (or as someone else mentioned you can spray a lubricant on the joint yourself, but I don't know how long that will last compared to installing the kit )

Sorry, but no idea on the security thing but if your warranty is truly 100% the dealer should be able to address this for free.
    yuo can also go to mygmlink.com...and get access to a complete owners manual once you register the car on the site...you have to have a yahoo id ...since its run by yahoo for GM....

you should be able to set the locking through the menu options on the DIC..in the center console..buttons should be on the left side of the radio face....

clunking issues are not necessarily related to the steering column.....the kit may fix it..if its still under warranty....or a certified car...an 04 Maxx LT here about to turn over 152K.....have had the clunk for over four years now....and no harm.....only thing replaced so far is a right front tire rod.....all other OEM parts still going strong...
  • spdfrk1spdfrk1 Member Posts: 1
    I've had this problem under warranty on my '05 Malibu LS. They replaced and reprogrammed the fobs. Looking in my shop manual, it seems the problem is from the content theft deterrent (CTD) system. My car started doing this two years later off warranty and now I just lock the doors from the outside with the key or by pushing the lock stem buttons by hand on each door. The security option in the DIC needs to be set to RKE for this to work though.

:sick:
  • madmaxx2madmaxx2 Member Posts: 2
    I just spent $598 to replace the defective steering column in my '04 and GM refused to adjust the cost more than $200 because they replaced the original defective steering column a few years ago. The fact that they replaced a defective steering column with another defective steering column was of no concern to them. I recently had the battery replaced too. I am the original owner and the car has less than 56,000 miles on it.