Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx New Owner Reports

marlapmarlap Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
hello all!! After much deliberation between a matrix and the maxx, we have decide on the maxx based on the comfortable interior and better price. i know the gas mileage won't be as great but thousands more wouldn't be either. When i test drove the car, noticed water coming down the passenger side seat belt hook up. Anyone had any leaks that you have experienced? I hope we are making the right choice since it will have to last our family for awhile!! The color is sport red metallic 2005 ls. The kids loved it!! :)

Comments

• frayedgnotfrayedgnot Member Posts: 6
    This might be related to a recent problem I had with my 04 LS Maxx. Mine has a sunroof, and I recently found water on the driver front floorboard. Couldn't find the source so I vaccuumed out the water and waited for more rain. Sure enough, after the next rain storm I had water in the driver's side rear floorboard and noticed the driver's seatbelt was wet when I pulled it out. Turns out the drain lines for the sunroof were clogged. Still under warranty so there was no charge to clean them out, I hope this isn't a regular recurrance.

17 months, 24,000 miles, only other problem was a bad battery. This is the best car I've ever owned.
  • tcontastcontas Member Posts: 10
    I have had my '05 Maxx for about 6 months. I want to like this car, and for the most part I do. It drives nicely (though I'll be glad to have the front end rattle/clunk noted above taken care of) and I haven't had any major issues yet. However, I'm disappointed and more than a little annoyed by how many squeaks, rattles and vibrations there are in the interior. Virtually anything that can make noise when going over any kind of bumps does: the glovebox door (I've even had it replaced once), the sliding sunroof shade, the sunroof itself when closed, the rear cargo area cover, an unknown vibrating part in the dash behind the steering wheel, the metal bar that separates the rear skylights, and on and on and on... I admit that I'm kind of fanatical about this kind of thing and am probably more irritated than most by it, but I just feel so strongly that a brand new car shouldn't have so many rattles. Definitely not the quality I had hoped for.
  • luckeedog1luckeedog1 Member Posts: 1
    Own a 2005 M Maxx and love it. 3 problems, noisy seat belts that squeak/creak whenever the temperature in car is summer time warm & front window that seems to vibrate when defroster on in winter. Recent problem, rain coming into car onto passenger side floor. Can see where rain coming in from under dash bd. next next to passenger door & then cascading down onto door fram & then onto floor. Made appt. with dealer to fix leak under warranty. Don't know source of rain problem yet, but if problem is sunroof drain lines does anyone know how to keep drains clear?
  • rferd43rferd43 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2004 with 50,000 miles and have not experienced any of the problems you have. It is odd since this is the first time that I hear of water leaks. You should have no problems having it fixed at the dealers.
  • blumaxxblumaxx Member Posts: 20
    Hi folks. :) Nice to meet y'all. I just got the car last week. The color is laser blue metallic and it's gorgeous. There is only one problem that has to be scheduled for fixing...the sunroof in the front does not open...electrical problem. We have the extended 100,000 mile protection plan that covers everything practically so that is good. So far the car drives very well. My hubby is still getting used to the sensitive steering. MPG is about 30 on highway or better. I love the leather and ultralux seating. Lots of nice touches. Is it normal to not have a light in the glove compartment? Robin
  • mrsstrommrsstrom Member Posts: 3
    My '06 LTZ doesn't have a light in the glove compartment either. the only problem we have encountered is the battery dying 4 days after we bought it... and an occational weird start were it takes longer than normal to start up. This only happens maybe once or twice a month, if that. Of course the dealer had it all day and could't get it to duplicate that problem. Overall, we love the car! We drove it from NC to Disneyworld and it got like 30 mpg, and very comfortable to boot.
    nice to meet you. that's strange about the start up, have them check it out again. Robin
    I have another question........do you use regular gas or premium.......I heard that some engines actually do not like premium. Robin :shades:
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Octane 87 seems to agree just fine with my '04 maxx, which uses the same engine as the LTZ.
  • tothemaxx2tothemaxx2 Member Posts: 22
    We bought our Maxx about a month ago. It is a 2006 that we bought new (last one in the Denver area - got a fantastic deal). I had rented several in the last two years, so driving one was not new to me. I have had read the posts for several months before buying. I must say that compared to other cars I have owned, the problems discussed on bulletin boards are generally pretty minor. I am also a Volvo nut, but I want to tell you that many people on this board would run away screaming after reading about Volvo problems on the "Brickboard." The Maxx is truly an exceptional car for the money. We love ours. The fit and finish is very good. Power is great, as is the fuel economy (other 6's I have owned get at least 3 or 4 mpg less). And it is rated as one of the cleanest engines by the U.S. EPA (see their site). Keep the info on problems coming, it really helps knowing what to look for and helps us do-it-yourself'ers. But realize that anything better in any other make would easily cost 5 to 10 grand more. One very satisfied customer with this truly excellent overall car (and I don't work for GM). Light years above the previous Malibu.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion is for Maxx owners to introduce themselves and get to know other owners. Talk about your Maxx and/or other events in your life here.
  • emunsonemunson Member Posts: 5
    After waiting nearly a year for GM to resolve the issue of the clunking and rattling in the front end of these cars, I finally got mine in for the fix. The first couple thousand miles or so were fine, but now the clunking is starting again. I dropped car off this morning, and they are still working on trying to figure out what can be done. Looks like GM has flopped again. This car has had numerous problems: fuel filler tube came off from fuel tank; rack and suspension; misaligned welds requiring grinding down for door to shut properly; serpentine belt; leaking head gaskets; ac/heater control unit replaced; broken seat handles; interior panels pop loose in winter; rear hatch doesn't always close properly; harmonic balancer seal replaced; power window regulator replaced once; front brake rotors replaced twice; starter continues cranking after car has started (still not fixed). This car is a piece of junk; DO NOT BUY ONE, and if you have and it's having problems, sue GM over it. :lemon:
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    and on the other hand.....I have an 04 Maxx LT with 81,000 miles on it..and not one of these problems....only thing done under warranty was replacement of a right turn signal socket and one other small TSB I dont recall....no steering column..no rattling suspension....30 MPG on average....and still going strong.......

64K miles on original brakes..still have the OEM rotors..turned once at brake servicing....

regular oil changes..running mobil 1 synthetic....7500 between changes...

second set of tires....got 45K out of OEM set...upgraded rims and tires for second set

completely satisfied with the car.....and looking to get another 80k out of it

sorry you do seem to have gotten a lemon built on a Mon or Fri at the factory..but dont label all of them as a LEMON...as they arent.......
    hi folks, our car was in the showroom for 6 months. Could this have anything to do with a rough idle we experience, could the spark plugs be fouled from thick fuel because of the car sitting for so long? Just wondering. We are having the shop look at it on Wednesday. Robin
    ..is all over the map on Consumers Unions' report. Chevrolet cars rate from very good to poor (their graph bar spanning the reliability chart is far broader than any other brand). By comparison, Toyota and Lexus graphs were tightly clustered.

...which is what scares me about buying another Chevy. My '04 Maxx has been average at best and suffered many of the first year teething problems.

wrt the showroom car mentioned here, if it was in the showroom for 6 months and never had its fuel flushed then yes, you could have deposits and other gunk in the lines. Fuel deteriorates over time.
  • rygonrygon Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, we just purchased a 2006 Malibu Maxx Lt with the extra airbags, the extra (front) sunroof, the rear wiper/spoiler and xm radio. I am happy with everything so far. I researched it a lot so my expectations were pretty close to what we got. Love all of the standard features for a low price and the performance has not disappointed me at all. However the "flex-steel" wheels were a bit of a disappointment, the dealer even listed it as alloy wheels. We also need to get one of the retracting sunshades fixed already.
  • kansasronkansasron Member Posts: 3
    Posted this in another forum as well. Wanted to see your experience with the UltraLux. Does it stain easily or dirt get ground in easily? How about a protector, like ScotchGuard? How do you clean it now?

Thanks for a to be new 2006 LTZ owner (this Friday).
  • brianmabrianma Member Posts: 17
    I've had my 2005 Maxx LT since 3/2005 and have put 32K miles on the car. The grey UltraLux interior looks as good today as it did when new. The rear seat sees lots of kid duty due to the rear DVD option being in place and the few stains have been easily removed with a bit of scrubbing. The nice thing about the UltraLux is it is very soft in cold weather and doesn't burn you in the hot weather when you first hop in the car. The heated seat option works very well, although GM heated seats seem to toast the buns mostly and lightly heat the lower back as opposed to my wife's Audi Allroad that toasts the back and warms the buns.

Best of luck with your new ride!!
  • cpinkhamcpinkham Member Posts: 7
    The drain lines from the sunroof are actually easy to clear. First, go to a bicycle shop and buy a rear brake cable for a tandem bike ($5) and have them snip off one of the ends, it's a long, flexible cable. Open the sunroof and you will find a small drain hole in each corner. Snake the cable down all the way through it and you will push whatever crud has built up out of the way. Takes 5 minutes.
    I've had this problem in both my '89 BMW 325i and '96 Saturn SL2.
  • gabbylagabbyla Member Posts: 2
    :)
    I'm very happy with my max that i've had since August. I bought it used and take it to the dealership for oil changes (etc). I'm very lucky to not have any problems with it. I love the way it drives, the sporty sensible look, all the room and it's pretty good on gas. I have the greenish gray color with light tan interior.

I bought it after all my issues with a Ford Focus that was finally declared a lemon.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I have the same color combination which has been dropped. Great color for hiding dirt. Even when I bought it in 05 it was the least popular color. Like its uniqueness.
  • christina5christina5 Member Posts: 2
    I've had the same "long start" problem with my '05 Maxx. The dealership seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. One day I also heard a colleague with an 05 Equinox that had the same problem with no solution. If you get an answer/fix, please post!
  • kpetriekpetrie Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 malibu max that I purchased used and after a few weeks, I started to notice the clunking in the front end, mostly when I'm turning at a slow speed. I was wondering if they ever fixed your car? Sounds similar to mine. I've had a few mechanics look under the car and nobody seems to see anything obvious.
  • kpetriekpetrie Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you've discovered a solution the clunk in the front end. I also have a clunk on my 05.
    There are various service bulletins addressing the struts and the steering rack that attempt to reduce the clunking of the suspension. If you are on Majorguard, you may find you will have to wait for special advisor approval, as that particular problem is "red flagged".

but none of these totally get rid of it.
    The clunking problem is also on the Pontiac G6 and many other midsize GM cars.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I have had both a new steering rack put on and the redesigned steering gear. Neither solved the problem totally, although the new gear did arrest 70% of the noise. These are bad front ends, plain and simple.
  • mickey22mickey22 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought car Tues. Didn't look like much outside but inside WOW. Only 8000 miles. Getting a little nervous with msgs. posted here about clunking noises from front suspension, traction control, electric, etc. Will be reading forum to keep up to date with any problems. Glad I found this site!
  • albarobbalbarobb Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a used 06 Maxx Lt, so far I'm impressed. Looked at several other cars, the Maxx and G6 stood out for the wife and I. The Maxx was more in our price range. Hope we both have luck with it.
  • eddiekopaseddiekopas Member Posts: 5
    Is this a good reliable car? I'm thinking of purchasing a 1994.
    again..Maxx wasnt produced until 2004....
  • eddiekopaseddiekopas Member Posts: 5
    sorry, I'm looking at a 2004
  • torontomaxxtorontomaxx Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm a proud new owner of a 2006 Malibu Maxx LT. We just picked her up yesterday. Live in Toronto, Ontario. Glad to find this forum - looks like a lot of very useful info. Happy to meet you all, eh.
  • grumpy64505grumpy64505 Member Posts: 4
    One of the major reasons for buying this 06 Malibu Maxx LT is the ability to tow it behind our motorhome with all four tires on the ground. It gave us the opportunity to get away from 4 wheel drive or Saturn vehicles.

We have only had it a couple of days so far, but all seems to be well. The dearler has order new sunshades for the back as they don't work and they are going to get the remote start to work.

I like the roominess and the V6 engine. We will be taking our first one day trip this weekend.
  • rmill777rmill777 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2006 Malibu Maxx -traded in a Buick Roadmster. The Maxx impressed me so much with it's practicality, mileage and comfort I bought a second one for my wife. Another 2006. Put leather seats in both which is a great upgrade. One small problem with both cars. At about 40 to 50 miles per hour there is a vibration noise that sounds like a plastic vane fluttering. I have tried every way I know to isolate it and have been unsuccessful. I noticed a while back that a review of the Maxx mentioned a similar noise. That review suggested that it might be related to engine vibration. I had the tires rebalanced thinking that might be it. No luck. Contacted General Motors web site and they just referred me to their dealer. Anybody else had this problem and found a solution? Still love the cars.
  • sybsyb Member Posts: 10
    Just read your msg about this vibration noise that you have, I also have the same issue starts around 40 mph goes away once I go below 40 mph, I just turn up the radio to tune out the noise, hope you find out the problem, as I would like to eliminate it also,I have a 2004 lt v6 with just over 106,000 miles, mostly so cal highway miles, car has been great with no other issue...
  • rmill777rmill777 Member Posts: 6
    I just accessed one of the other subjects: " Rattles, bumps & squeaks". Several described similar noise and traced it to: "Black plastic grill covering the windshield area fresh air intake. Some had found that it had warped in the passenger side corner and lifted up a bit, causing the wind at driving speeds to make it vibrate and hit the body in that arer. Cover under warranty." These postings are great to solve problems. I'm off to the dealer.
    welcome to the over 100k club..beleive there are a few of us....110K here..and know another one that has 121K on his....
  • sybsyb Member Posts: 10
    Maybe we should be issued badges to put on our grilles like they do for Mercedes Benz owners... thanks for the welcome... looking forward to another 100,000 trouble free miles, 8 years ownership would put me back in the market for another car then...
    well I'll be in the market next spring..but trading in an 03 SUV with about 105K on it around that time...the Maxx will still be the daily driver however.....
    Hi folks. This may be a shocker to you, but we are contacting GM as we speak and hoping they will replace the MAXX with the new Malibu LTZ. We have had way too many issues with the rough idle not going away. The car was not fit and finish to say the least. We have brought it in at least 10 times for various things and this should not be for a new car! So, we shall see what happens. Robin :sick:
    good luck to you....did you start the BBB arbitration process as well....that will go a along way first, rather than dealing directly with GM/Chevy Corporate...remember to check your State Lemon Laws as well...as they vary by state and what the compensation might be.......

what year is your Maxx...and current mileage?
    yes I did do the BBB, thanks for mentioning that. I happened to find it by accident? on the internet. We live in WA state where there is a good law here, I have all the paperwork should it need to go to arbitration but we already are on record with Chevy for various issues we reported so they are well aware. Our Maxx is a 2006 and the mileage is 27,000. We had the issues addressed and took it to a dealer within the first 12 months of warranty about 6 times!! Robin
  • pogge1pogge1 Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I just bought a 2004 Malibu Maxx but there isn't an owners manual. Any idea where I could get one? Digital or otherwise. Thanx.
    If you don't want to order through the dealer try:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-CHEVY-MALIBU-LS-LT-LTZ-SS-MAXX-OWNERS-MANUAL- _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6760QQihZ008QQitemZ180181790205QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD- VW

Don't think there's any meaningful differences (besides reliability) between the two years.
  • pogge1pogge1 Member Posts: 6
    Just missed it. I'll keep watching ebay for now. Thanx.
    Amazon also has some. The only thing you need to watch is that you don't get one for an '04 Classic.
    register at mygmlink.com and you get access to a complete digital version as well
    Well, we sure had our eyes opened. Yeah, the lemon law is there for you as long as you dont even use your car. Use the car and put on mileage and man you are stuck! And talk about trying to trade in a car, they will give you the blue book value, which right now is about 13K, but then if you want to get a new car, watch out...you will have to refinance the amount still owed plus the new car amount....so, needless to say we are negotiating a deal with GM to extend our warranty and we hope they will iron out the bugs in the next few months. We are still dealing with rough idle, and occasional remote start issues, but other than that, its an awesome car. But if anyone with a 2006 Malibu Maxx LTZ has any issues along these lines, please let me know. Robin
  • maxximizermaxximizer Member Posts: 2
    My Mazz 2006 has 41K miles on original brakes..still have the OEM rotors..Still in the first set of tires and no problems, but if you guys can give me your opinions on: 1) when I apply the brakes on an icy surface TC and ABS stop the car pretty fast but as the front wheels grab and let go I feel this bouncing effect on the brake pedal which is not to light but not too pronounced. It happens only on icy roads, I even had to brake downhill with 6 people in the car, under normal road conditions and I don't see the problem showing. Normal ? or are rotors just starting to warp ? 2) How do I refill the back windshield reservoir, where is it, maybe I've been lazy to look it up. Thanks.
  • jongramjongram Member Posts: 2
    I have the same noise and I think, haven't attempted to resolve, the problem is a rubber strip on the trim piece at the bottom of the windshield. Mine has a gap where wind goes through. My 04 blue Maxx is great, problems with tire vibration through out it's existance but finally got it as good as it will get. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.