Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    these will fit nicely in the Maxx's cabin air filter chamber and do a good job keeping dust out.

You can also add a small piece of WEB filter mesh (plastic mesh with 1" holes) under the filter if you are worried about it possibly being sucked into the HVAC fan.
  • tsc401tsc401 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an 04 (exactly one hour ago!) and i cant figure out how to put the back seats down? can some one please explain to me exactly where the lever is to do that?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Lever is on outside of the seat at junction of bottom and back. It's the same part that reclines the seat back.
    Apparently my Maxx didnt come with levers, instead there is just a bult stick out at eaxh end, which means i have to use plyers everytime i want to put the seats down or back. Anyone know the parts number of the lever? or where i can buy one, cheap?
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Weird, are you the first owner? You would need to provide a few specifics like model year and interior color (Titanium, Ebony, Gray or Neutral) to give you correct part number. I guess you are missing ones for both left and right side? Worst case is they would run $15-20 each retail from a dealer.

Provide back model year and interior color and I can give you some suggested part numbers. It looks like there was a design change for 2006 model at some point as well after ...6F286778 there was a new design. So look at your VIN if you have a 2006
    You may also experience a rattle or two for some rear seatback positions, as the clearance between the right rear shocktower and right rear plastic seatback is very limited. You can fix that by "padding" the shocktower, or simply don't put the seats in positions where the seatback and tower vibrate against each other.

This is true for my '04 Maxx, and I have seen similar clearance problems in newer ones.
    I have a 2004, and its Neutral. I missing both the left and right.
    LH 22736389
    RH 22736395

I don't know what kind of price you can get. List price is $17-18 each.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Anybody else's 'Bu or Maxx driver's seat squeek like crazy? I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow. I am only 170 lbs, and the only driver of my Maxx. The seat sounds like a 400 lbs person has been driving the car for 14 years. The seat makes noise with every undulation in the road. With only 32,000 miles, I don't think I should put up with this. Thoughts?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    hey J...happy new year.....nope..no squeaky seat here for me at all...do you have the power seat option in yours......
    6 way power seat on only 33,000 miles. The new seat is on order. I spent one hour with the shop manager trying to grease the noise out, but after scoping it with the stethiscope, we determined that there was a weak point at a rivot in the back right corner of the seat. Oddly, I was able to arrest the noise by forcing up on the back right orange colored coil, but the shop manager did not see how I could wedge an object like a block of wood/steel (my suggestion) to force that last coil up where it would stay put, so he ordered the seat.
    Happy new year to you pao, and to all my Bu-Maxx cyber friends.
  • myearymyeary Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 malibu maxx that I have owned for 3 weeks now and I been watching my temp guage go from just below the mid mark to above the mid mark when i am sitting at a light or when the car is in park.....Is this normal?Allso when i fill the tank up and the needle is above the full mark i have noticed the needle drops quit quickly in about 70 miles its allmost down to the 3/4 mark now keep in mind when all is said and done and i refuel my MPG is around 26.
    TSB #04-08-49-025 is about fuel gage operation on 2004/5 Maxx but without knowing your build date can't tell you if might be applicable to you.
    Yes, it can be frightening to watch the temp guage on the Malibus, as it approaches the redline. Nonetheless, it is normal. At some point in your car's life, the temp guage won't go up at all (for a day). It does not seem to be a fixable issue and will likely only happen once. Take heart: as long as you hear your cooling fan come on when the temperature guage climbs to 3/4 of the way, the car is performing normally.
  • jayrojayro Member Posts: 2
    Be careful using the recirculation method too much. I have a horror story for you.
    I bought a used 05' Maxx in December and have been very pleased with it's performance. Now that it's warmed up, I've started to use the A/C. At first, I didn't notice any problems. As the weather got warmer and I used the A/C more, I noticed a funk coming out of the vents. I took it to the dealer (out of warranty) and they told me that there was mold in the A/C system and that it is usually cause by recirculating the air. He said that I should avoid using it if I could. This may or may not be true but it is the answer I received.
    I have had the vent system cleaned and deodorized twice since then (almost July now) and I can still smell it when I turn on the A/C. Ant information on how to get the funk out would be appreciated. Everyone I've talked to say it is now part of the car. :mad:
    You used the words cleaned and deodorized.....cleaned with what? Deodorant certainly would not do anything to kill the mold/mildew. How about opening up the engines hood, open up your windows, turning on your blower to the high setting using the outside air, and spraying an entire can of Lysol into the air intake vents. I've done that before on my car; works great.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    One thing I have found that helps is about 10 min before shutting the car off I turn off the A/C and turn the blower on hi. Helps to dry out the evaporator/condenser, I can never remember which part is in the car and which is in front of the rad. and the mold is not so keen to form on a dry surface
    go get a can of Ozium from the autoparts store..some Walmarts carry it as well..its a hospital grade sanitizer...spray it into the vents without the fan running..then turn the fan on..and spray into the outside intakes below the windshield....should correct the problem....
  • legalseclegalsec Member Posts: 31
    I just bought a used 06 Malibu Maxx. Several hours after taking delivery we noticed that the plastic storage drawer under the console and left of and under the steering wheel column is missing. Any ideas about buying/getting a replacement without going to the parts dept. at the dealer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Msgs 27, 29, 30 - Thanks for the advice on installing and getting cabin air filters for the Maxx. I will try those tips out.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Not sure if they have that level of part listed, but if nothing else this should give you the names and comparative prices of various salvage yards:

http://www.car-part.com/
  • legalseclegalsec Member Posts: 31
    Thank you! I'll look into this.
    The trick of installing a cabin air filter in the cabin A/C manifold may also help with this. Dropping the glovebox door reveals a small door in the A/C fan box, into which a Saturn ION cabin filter may be inserted (I change mine every 2-3 months; it's very grayish by then). It's a good idea to put a reinforcing screen under the filter, though.
  • cpinkhamcpinkham Member Posts: 7
    We have a 2006 LTZ with automatic climate control. Is there any way to completely shut it off? There's always air coming into the car, no matter where we direct the air, what temperature we select, or if the fan is set to off. Very aggravating, especially in the winter, to always have air blowing in from somewhere. Of course the dealer says it's fine.
    Otherwise we love the car, 13,000 miles and no problems (fingers crossed).
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Not sure why you would want to shut it off in the winter but. If you move the fan control to "0" and press the recirculate button to on, then there should be no air at all coming into the car. Will make for a cold car and a build up of condensation on the windows because of the recirculation of internal air. But no air.
  • cpinkhamcpinkham Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, it helps but then we have to fiddle with the temp, and it always seems too hot. It's esp. annoying when we drive with the sunroof cracked (I love fresh South Carolina lowcountry air).
    Had a Dodge Intrepid with auto climate, but you could shut it off totally.
    The Maxx apparently will switch off Recirculation mode after 10 - 15 minutes as a safety feature.
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    Not true on my 2005 Maxx LS. The recirc stays on until I turn the car off, or if I switch it off of A/C. It has done this since day one. My 2000 Malibu is the same way also.
  • jdsparrow1954jdsparrow1954 Member Posts: 2
    I have only had my 2004 Malibu Maxx for 18 months and now the speedomoter is malfunctioning. Does anyone know about the price range to fix it?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It could be the speedometer sensor is malfunctioning and simply needs to be replaced. Could be that the speedometer itself is bad and you need to get into the dash to replace it, so it's hard to say.
    Best bet is to take it to a mechanic you trust and have them take a look at it. A functioning speedometer/odometer is usually a required item to pass inspection (I know it is here in PA) so you're going to have to get this fixed at some point.
  • kitkatviv123kitkatviv123 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Buick Park Ave. It has climate control on passenger side. This summer when I turned on the AC the drivers side got cool but most of the time the passenger side was hot (the climate control button did not help). Sometimes it did get cool though. Now that is winter it is doing the opposite. I have heat on my side but not the passenger. It has worked one time only. Any ideas on what could be wrong. Hopefully I can fix it myself. If so, HOW?
    You're in the wrong discussion. The way to find your way to the Park Ave discussions is to use the Browse By Vehicle search tool over there ---->
    on the right side of the page.
    Just select Buick Park Avenue and you'll find yourself at a page full of Park Ave discussions.
  • iluvwookiesiluvwookies Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem. Mine sounds like some kind of belt rattling. I took it to the dealer, but they found nothing wrong. Did you ever get your problem solved?

Symptoms are:
    recirculate mode(hot and cold):noise
    air in mode: less noise(almost none)
    defroster mode: noise
    fans off:less noise(almost none)

I poked around a little online, someone suggested it might be one of the following:

check belt tensioner
    and/or alternator
    or clutch on the ac compressor

Anybody has the same problem?
  • demolizdemoliz Member Posts: 1
    I've had my car in to the dealer twice now for a rear defroster issue. There were about 3-4 lines that were not working. The shop told me that they were "clearly scratched" and therefore not covered under warranty. They fixed them at a reasonable cost. About six weeks later I'm back at the shop. They claim that they're "clearly scratched" again. I don't store anything in the back on top. Anyone else have this issue?
  • pffreesepffreese Member Posts: 3
    I went out with my girlfriend and a friend of hers Friday night. The friend was in the back seat. She was enjoying the skylight, when all of a sudden, UH-OH! She did something to the shade and now it won't retract. I've had the car a year and half and not had problems at all with the shades. There isn't much room to feel around in that center post to figure out the problem. Any ideas how the mechanism works or how it is mounted? I don't want to mess with it more than I have to. :(
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I've had that happen several times on both my 04 and 06 Maxx's. Unfortunately, the shades are mounted inside the center trim section and the trim piece is permanently attached to the headliner. Once the shade retractors break, they can't be fixed. The entire headliner has to be removed in order to get at the shades and replace them. Luckily both my cars were still under warranty.
    Did they give you a clue on how much that repair would have cost, had it not been under warranty?
    Sorry, no.
  • wantamaxxwantamaxx Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx and as of this afternoon my A/C will not blow cold air at all, it actually blows sweltering hot air when the a/c is turned on. Of course it's 90 degrees today... Has anyone else had this problem? This just happened as my a/c was working fine this morning and I drove about 100 miles this past weekend without a problem. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I bring it to the shop to have it recharged? Thanks in advance!
    I assume you mean that it's continuing to blow hot air after the AC has been on a while, because on a sweltering day the AC will blow hot air until it clears all the air that's been heated up by the day out of the system.

If it just never gets cool and the compressor is running, it sounds like you developed a leak in the system somewhere and you'll need to have it looked at.
  • dscaindscain Member Posts: 15
    I took a road trip in my '06 Malibu Maxx this past weekend. The AC blew cold (like it always has) for the first 4 hours, then suddenly quit. Within a couple of minutes, it started blowing hot air and did so for the rest of the trip. Today I took it to our local Chevy dealership; they tested it, said it was very low on refrigerant, and found out the compressor case was leaking. After replacing the compressor and refilling it with R134a, it blows cold again. I'm really thankful it's still under warranty and hope yours is, too!
  • trckrfxfetrckrfxfe Member Posts: 1
    My mother recently passed away and I received her 2000 Malibu. The car only has 35,000 miles on it. Lat night it was all frosted up so I started it to let it warm up and defrost. It ran for about 20 minutes. When I came out the back window was clear but the windshield wasn't affected. There was no air coming out of the defroster at all. Is this an easy fix?
    that has on occasion happened to me...I found out just by turning the car on and off again...like it reset something...that is solved my problem...hasnt happened in over a year now...04 Maxx LT with 137K on it....
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    In other vehicles I've had there is a vacuum connection that has come loose or a hose has become torn/brittle . The flapper valves are usually vacuum actuated.
    If by playing with the control for a bit it does not return to normal function, try following vacuum hoses from the control.

In one of my stepdaughters former cars (Corsica) the hose was plastic (not rubber) and broke where it was routed under the battery. (If someone else hadn't reported the exact same problem on a web site I never would have thought to look under there)
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    Apparently the skylight shade is no longer covered under the Major Guard extended warranty, so I was quoted $178 for one shade today. No thank you.
    an 04 MAX here.....I never rolled my back shades out from the minute they wouldnt stay in place...never had the reinforcment done, and just two of us so seldom anyone in the back seat......they are heavily tinted, so I havent gotten any complaints from my rear seat passengers yet.....144K on my Maxx and going strong.....
    The problem is now that the mechanism is not functioning, the shade is not taut so any time I ride with the windows open, the shade flaps around in the wind and hangs down several inches and looks tacky.
    razor blade and cut the shade out?? Since too closely to replace
    I used to keep my shades closed 24/7 during summer. After they were replaced a second time under warranty I no longer close them. The constant tension on the springs cause them to fail when you open them after that long.

I'm surprised they are not covered under GMPP Major Guard. I don't see what category of non-covered parts this would fall under.

You might want to call the GMPP and ask them if it is a covered part. And if it is not covered, where does it fall on the non-covered list.

In the end, if not covered, I would just cut them off with a razor.
  • murphycmurphyc Member Posts: 8
    I have a question about the struts that hold up the hatch (or I guess the large trunk if you follow Chevy's "sedan with an extended roofline" line). The strut on the right side on our '05 Maxx LS fell apart somewhat two weeks ago. Not the strut itself, and the end where it actually connects to the rod on the hatch. The hatch slammed, surprised the glass didn't break. My wife had it happen to her last week, her head and shoulder are still sore from the impact.
    It looks like the rubber (or whatever type of material it is) boot on the end of the strut came off. Is there a way to replace just the end part, or do I have to replace the whole strut? If the whole strut, can I get the part at any parts store or does it have to be the original GM strut from a Chevy dealership?
    Thanks,
    Craig
  • rdesantisrdesantis Member Posts: 30
    I would replace the entire "strut". Start at you GM Dealer parts counter. They can pull up a diagram on the hatch and components. Get your part info and prices. Then shop around if you wish. Some times I find the dealer part prices just as competative as other part stores.
    Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.