Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    1. The ignition lock problem is a very common one. It you're out of warranty, just call a locksmith and he'll come to your place and replace the lock for around $100 - 125.

2. The recalls are just that, RECALLS. The dealer has no option or ability to refuse to service your car.

I've NEVER ever heard of a dealer refusing to perform a recall. I simply don't believe you.

3. The fuel pump has never been recalled. Please, don't make this up. There is an extended warranty for this item - 10 years since the date of purchase.

In order to qualify for the repair your car will have to exhibit symptoms of the pump failure.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    And still no problems. I would buy another Focus in a heartbeat, there may be a few bad ones but seems like Ford has thier act together in 2004.
  • dawnbdawnb Member Posts: 2
    Our Ford Econoline van's key would not turn, or would sloooowly turn and very hard (almost felt frozen up). We removed the ignition switch and the switch seems fine. It seems that the problem lies in the steering column. Please Email us with any help you can at aurorafava@yahoo.com Thank you for all your help in the past.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I'd suggest you find another dealer. If these guys are bad, nothing you do is going to make them better.
  • miltmilt Member Posts: 14
    Just bought this car with 28,000km(18,000 mi) & paid $16,000 with everything but leather / sunroof. I have two quesitons.

1.Will be buying winter tires with steel rims - any suggestins as to make-Blizzaks and X-Ice are heading my list so far. As to size I have read that it might be better to go smaller than 16" to improve ride quality and narrower to reduce rubber to be pushed through the snow(although ice is my main concern and wider might be better on ice. - 195/60-15" or 185/65-15" Smaller would probably be cheaper as well

2. Ford Extended Service Protection has been offered to take warranty to 7yrs/120,000 km. 3 different levels are being offered Base-$865; Extra-$1090.; Premium-$1385. Thoughts on if this is a good investment, which level would be best value and experience on whether price is negotiable.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Can't help you much with the ESC, but winter tires I can. I have a 2004 ZX3 that I run Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 on in the winter. I drive 1000 miles/week and live in Alaska. I tried studded snow tires to begin with and was terrified of the car, switch to Blizzaks and there is nothing the car can't handle. We've had some horrible roads this winter and the Focus cruises on through.

On another note, this has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. No problems in 18k miles.
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. Someone snapped off my antenna. Any suggestions as to how to get the remainder out so that I could screw in a new one? Looks tough.

Thanks
    Ordered the Blizzak WS-50s and should have them installed later this week. Thanks for your feedback. Went with 195/60-15" on steel rims which should provide a softer ride and less money than 16". If they are good for an Alaska winter should be able to handle a Manitoba winter.

Picked up the car on Saturday and the dealer washed the car and I suspect cleaned the engine. Looked great however took it home in -40 degree weather and popped the hood to check fluid levels and couldn't get the hood closed again. The release cable froze open and the latch wouldn't re-engage. Dealers should know better in our climate. Supposed to warm up tomorrow so hoping I can get the hood closed.

When we picked up the car the tires PSI was at 28 and should have been at 34 and it had less than 1/2 tank of gas and winshield washer fluid was almost dry. You'd think they would fill up the tank and washer fluid when you give them your hard earned cash. May give them my opinion when I take it in for service
    Got the Blizzak WS-50s installed and couldn't believe the difference in traction between the all-season Firehawks and the Blizzaks. The Firehawks have got to be the worst tires on ice I have experienced. Hope they will be ok on wet roads in the summer as they are pretty much new and I'd hate to have to dump them for different summer tires.
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    I put Michelin X Ice on both my Focus (ZTS) and our Sienna this winter. Went down to 15" on the Focus as tire dealer couldn't find 16" steelies to fit. Am very impressed with handling in snow. Not much extra noise on dry roads, either. Commute 96KM/day (about 55 miles) over 4 lane and 2 lane secondary roads with the Focus. Have passed cars with ease on snow covered roads. Drove about 150 KM last weeekend in a virtual blizzard with the Sienna. Passed a Hummer on a 4 lane snow covered road. Again. very impressed with handling and stability of the snow tires.
  • myriadmyriad Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Focus Wagon with 700 kms on it. Last Sunday I had to have it towed to the dealer because the ignition cylinder was broken. Come on Ford, you would think that this cheaply made, defective part would have been re-designed by now!! I mean this has been a problem since the '00 model year! Can't wait to sell this thing come spring!
  • myzx3myzx3 Member Posts: 1
    hapend to me too

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/antenna.htm

for instructions
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. Thank you myzx3 for this info. I take it that removing and replacing the entire base is much easier than trying to get the snapped piece out of the base. Did you purchase a new base afterwards? If so, where did you get it?

Thanks again,

Rich
  • alyssatalyssat Member Posts: 1
    I know three people with 2000 Ford Focus Sedans. One had a problem with his car stalling because of the fuel pump. Ford replaced the fuel pump on his car. Ford did mail something out with information on the fuel pump issue.
  • pindapinda Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the diagram on the antenna replacement. I dont think I would ever have figured that one out.

As far as my car goes, I have a 2000 ZX manual tranny and I adore this car. I have had all the recalls done at Ford's expense and the only problem I had to pay for so far was an exhaust leak which ended up costing half what they quoted.

I think this car is like any other, there are lemons and then there is the average car. I have heard nothing but good and only had a problem with the dealers service dept. which was easily solved by going to another.

For the price and apperance I dont think you can beat this little beauty
  • packypacky Member Posts: 1
    Yes i have had my 2000 ford focus ignition locked up on me twice and had it fixed out of my pocket both times and now that i have read these posted notes i was just wondering if they gave money back to the people that had this same problem are what did ford do for you. lam saying now my brakes are starting to act up again i hearing this loud sound at almost every stop sign and my brother had my breaks fixed like 3 months ago. Please i need to know what can i do for these problems.
  • bschattkabschattka Member Posts: 3
    Hello folks,

This is my first posting.

The front axle of my 2000 ZX3 (70K km) groans/squeaks every time the car passes over bump in the road. This noise appears to be comming from the driver side and happens during cold weather.

Does anybody have experience with this problem?

Thanks
  • roraziettirorazietti Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Focus ZX3 with 38,000 miles.Recently
    my ignition broke and the steering wheel was locked.I had to have the lock replaced,costing me
    $296.40,excluding towing charge.
    This problem is most likely a design defect
    and therefore should be recalled by Ford.I've
    owned (4) New Ford Vehicles in my life and there
    won't be a fifth if my Focus is not recalled for
    this obviously too common failure.Can we as a group petition Ford to force a recall?
  • bighouseazbighouseaz Member Posts: 4
    [myriad]

I have a 2000 Focus as well with about the same amount of mileage. My key got stuck in the ignition about six months ago. I made the mistake of thinking that it would be covered under my extended warranty and had it towed into Ford.

They politely informed me that it was not covered by the warranty. The service guy knew exactly how much it would cost because they had done so many of them (he admitted as much). Bottomline is it cost me over $300.

I wrote to Ford Customer Relations and received a phone call back from them. They wanted to know if I wanted to add anything to what I said in the letter. I said no, and that was that. I'm still out my $300 and still left with a sore feeling.

Overall, my ZX3 has been a fantastic, reliable and fun car to own. This is the one incident that gets me steamed, not just because of the $, but also because I know it could happen again at any moment.
  • christian4christian4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Focus ZX3 with 73,000 miles on it. I bought it new (via the internet)and I have had virtually no problems with it. I change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles and the air filter very 9,000. I put new ceramic(front)brake pads on at 32,000 miles, bought a new set of tires at 56,000 miles and I just replaced the clutch master cylinder.(Did it myself. Pretty easy: 2 bolts and 3 clips. Dealer wanted $300.00, the part was $78.00 Other than the first (free) oil change, I have never taken the car to a Ford dealer.I don't trust them as far as I can spit.) That represents the entire service history of my Focus. The car does not even have a rattle anywhere. (Entire maintanance cost including new tires so far: $977.35) Best car I have ever owned. Sorry to read about so many problems.
  • dupes01dupes01 Member Posts: 13
    Hello,

I own a 2003 ZX3 with 5-speed manual and 44,000 miles on odometer. Recently I noticed that the steering is smooth at speeds lower than 80 mph. Once I hit 80 and beyond there is avery noticible vibration felt through the steering wheel. It seems to get worse as you accelerate beyond 80. Can anybody provide some insight on this?

I am still running the original stock 15inch goodyear eagle RS-A tires. And no brake work has been done. This is annoying and I am worried that a dealer diagnosis will be expensive and they will find nothing.
  • formulazx3formulazx3 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where to get an ALUMINUM thermostat housing for a 2001 ford focus zetec?
  • christian4christian4 Member Posts: 3
    Most likely the tires need balancing. When you have them balanced also rotate them (and check for any damaged rims) That may take care of the problem.
  • jochenjochen Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 01 Focus 2 weeks ago. Since then it was broken down 3 times.

First time they couldn't find any problem other than a clogged up fuel filter which they replaced.

Second time we took it into the Ford Dealership and they replaced the fuel pump. They said there was a recall on it.

Now I thought we finally have a dependable car. WRONG!

Yesterday all of a sudden the key wouldn't turn anymore and the steering wheel was locked up as well. We had to tow it to the nearest dealership. They replaced the ignition. Cost just around $300. I just can't believe there hasn't been a recall after reading all these complaints.
  • lenmlenm Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Ford Focus ZTS has had three ignition locks replaced, all at my expense (around $350 each time).

If you search the Web, you'll find that this is a very common problem that Ford has not yet acknowledged with a Tech Service Bulletin. If your Focus is still under warranty they will repair it at no charge but once it's out of warranty you'll have to pay.

Expect it to fail every 18 months or so.

The way to handle it is to have the lock replaced but have the mechanic leave out the tumblers. That solves the usual failure mode. Though it won't function as a physical lock any more, you'll still be able to lock your doors and because of the transponder, the car won't start without the correct key in place.

See the history of my Focus at:

http://www.core-sound.com/myfordfocus.html

Len Moskowitz
    Teaneck NJ
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Your situation is highly unusual. More than likely you received un-updated locks. For most owners, the new Ford ignition fixes the preoblems permanently. No, owners will not have to replace their ignitions every year and a half just because it happened to you.
  • flojmac2005flojmac2005 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Focus 2000. I have had the ignition cylinder replaced at my cost due to problems with the tumblers. At the time it was repaired, the sales person mentioned that Ford was having problems with the tumblers on the Focus.Two years later I am needing to replace the ignition cylinder again due to the same problem on the replaced ignition. Ford is not willing to offer any support and does not seem to accept any responsibility for faulty manufacture. In fact the customer service center will not refer to anyone above them to seek support. Does anyone have any suggestion, or know of a problem with The Tumblers of the Ford Focus ignitions?
  • jadavis702jadavis702 Member Posts: 1
    Our ignition just locked up on us, and instead of taking it to the dealer (which would have cost $400+) we called a locksmith and they replaced the ignition for $150.00. It is worth calling a lock smith or two to see if they can do the work for you versus paying inflated dealership prices.
  • aprilvabeach2aprilvabeach2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my car in Sept 04' and the buttons on my radio/cd player are starting to chip. I have not been harsh on the buttons and I have not had anything near them that could scratch them. It's so bad that at night the scratches light up in green "glow". Has anyone else had this happen and would it be covered under warranty?
  • jpk937jpk937 Member Posts: 1
    What did you do about the ignition cylinder? I am experiencing this problem for the first time today.
    jk
  • douguildouguil Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with the OEM tires (Firestone). Once replaced with excellent BFG Traction T/A, it was gone.
  • douguildouguil Member Posts: 3
    I had the same thing, the dealer replaced some parts between the wheel and suspention, I can't remember which one, but it was under warranty. They fixed it.
  • djmardendjmarden Member Posts: 1
    My clucth has no resistance. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem on a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3. My car has 65,000 miles and the other day the clutch just stopped working. How can I replace this part and how much will it cost? Please Help.
  • ccarr1ccarr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Focus SE with 43,000 miles, When i try to accelerate, putting the gas pedal to the floor the car begins to jerk back and forth and the speedometer doesn't move from its current speed. I am thinking it might be the fuel filter, maybe its clogged up with deposits from the bottom of the gas tank. I tried to put fuel system cleaner and fuel injector cleaner in but no luck. Any others suggestions or opinions... :sick:
  • ukbbukbb Member Posts: 11
    I just bought a 2003 Focus ZX3 and noticed when I used the wipers that the passenger blade is longer than the drivers side blade. This leaves an area of water from the passenger blade that the drivers side blade doesn't clear. This uncleared water drips down and requires repeated activation of the wipers to clear. Do you think the previous owner installed replacement blades wrong?

UKBB
  • nickpsnickps Member Posts: 18
    How many miles do you have on your vehicle? I just recently purchased a Focus myself. I purchased mine in November. Mine is a 2005 ZX4 SES. As far as your radio, it could be from excessive use. Mine has not begin to do that but i have 6,000 miles on it. The new vehicle limited warranty is three years 36,000 miles. If you dont have many miles on it, its most likely not normal. Go on ford.com and get the number of Ford. Call them up and see what they can do. The buttons finish shouldn't be corroding like that. When you call them be sure to make it clear that you are not happy with this. Tell them if this is the quality of their vehicles then this will be the last Ford you buy. That will make them almost surely want to help you with your problem.
    The wiper blades might have been replaced and sides might be mixed up. It is very simple to fix. Just push in on the little plastic tab on the wiper blade clips. Then slide the clip off from the wiper arm. Then you slide the clip on to the arm until they click once you have them both off. Always remember the Driver's side wiper is always bigger. If this doesn't help, go to your local auto parts store and have them look up what size wiper blades your Focus takes. It will even say it in your owner's manual.
    Have you tried Ebaymotors.com? In the search box type in Ford Focus. It will list tons of things for the Focus. Just look at them it might be in there.
    I agree. It could be the tires or rims. Have them checked and you sould rotate them every second oil change or 6,000-8,000 miles. If your car has been in an accident this would not be uncomon, especially if you car has had engine work done. If you are not sure about any maintence or things like this there might be a solution in your owners manual if you have one.
    If you have problems with this or if anyone else does they need to call ford and make a record of these problems otherwise a recall cannot be established. Then this will cause other owners problems to be fixed. Also if you have the problem again you will not have to pay. You can get the number to contact ford in your owners manual or by going on ford.com
    There is a recall on your Focus most likely. This is one of the recalls for this year of Focus. Get the number to call Ford in your owner's manual or on Ford.com. Be sure to have your VIN Number ready which is located in by the door jam on the driver's side. This is so they can see if there is any recalls.
    The clutch might be gone. This is common on manual transmissions. The mileage on this car is getting up there so it is not uncommon. You will have to check out ebaymotors.com and type in the search Ford Focus. See how much it will cost for these parts.
    Thanks nickps, I just pulled off the passenger side blade and it is smaller than the driver side blade by a good 3 inches. Guess this is another of the "quirky" features of the Focus.
  • nicksimonnicksimon Member Posts: 6
    They still might have been switched. They might not be the right size for the make and model. I have a 2005 Focus SES. It doesn't do that. Neither does my cousins 2003 SVT Focus.
    Okay, I'll swing by the dealership Monday evening and have them take a look at it.
  • gregzx5gregzx5 Member Posts: 3
    Hey folks --- I've got a brand spankin new ZX5 that so far has been a joy to drive. I've owned the car only a few days, and as usual with me I like to "listen" to the car and learn all of its quirks and idiosyncrosies. I like to know what sounds happen when, and under what conditions, so I know whether to worry about them or not.

The one sound that's got me a tad worried off the bat is a high-pitched whining sound upon deceleration (this is an automatic tranny). The sound goes away upon acceleration, but EVERY time I decelerate to take a turn or stop at a light, or even just slowing down on the highway (i.e. not using the brakes), the sound is there. So far I haven't noticed any effect on the car's performance, but the sound is noticeable enough that even friends have asked about it while riding in my new rod.

Any ideas? Think it's anything to worry about?

I will say that I've put only about 100 miles on this thing so far (had only 15 when I drove it off the lot), and it seems that it may be getting quieter - but hard to tell.

Thanks!
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Both of my 05 zx4 ses automatics have the whining sound. I have had other FWD vehicles in the past do the same thing with no problems over the life of the vehicle.
  • crystalmcrystalm Member Posts: 1
    I had exactly the same problem with my 2001 focus SE. AT first I just thought that it was because it did not have that much hoarse power and I needed to be patient, but then it begin to happen at least once a week to me.
    My problem was my transmission. But I had 150, 000 kilometers on it.
    I am not sure exactly why that would be happening to you.
    The noise could be because the car is not broken in yet. If it seems like its getting better hang in there and be patient. The car is not broken in yet until 3,000 miles.
  • kjenniekjennie Member Posts: 1
    My car (2000 ZX3) was fine yesterday, but when I went to get in this morning, it will not turn on. It isn't even "chuga chugging," but the radio and lights still work. I have had my fuel pump replaced once (after the recall). Does anyone know what the problem might be?
This discussion has been closed.