Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Welcome to Edmunds.com Forums!

In the future, it would be most appreciated if you did not use all capital letters. It is difficult to read and is interpreted as SHOUTING.

Thanks for your cooperation!

:)
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    First: Remember that people who have problem cars will post more than people with problem free cars.

Second: Would I buy another Focus?? IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!

My little Zippy (04 ZX3) has 49000 miles on her and has been the MOST reliable car I've ever owned. I bought her new with 52 miles on her July 21, 2004, I commute 164 miles/day even at 56 below zero, Zippy has NEVER failed to start. She is truely a GREAT car!!!

I would go for it, the Focus is a wonderful, fun to drive car.
  • bk40bk40 Member Posts: 9
    I've had a lot of trouble with my 2005 Focus ZX4 ST, but the primary source of my misfortune was an incompetent local dealer, who has since gone out of business. If you have a dealer with a good reputation that you trust, then I think the Focus can be an excellent choice. But if your local Ford dealer has a shaky reputation, you might want to consider other brands.
  • mungmaremungmare Member Posts: 2
    THANK YOU ALL FOR REPYING - I CAME SO CLOSE TO CANCELLING BUT YOU HAVE ALL MADE ME FEEL CONFIDENT. I LIKED THE LOOKS OF IT AND THE GAS MILAGE IT GOT

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR TAKING THE TIME TO CONTIBUTE TO SOMETHING THAT WILL BE IMPORTANT TO ME

THANKS - TALK TO YOU SOON
  • lizbeth374lizbeth374 Member Posts: 5
    My 2000 Focus did this just this week. You put the key in and go to turn it and it won't turn. I found if you hit it a good time or two you can turn the key but that is not recommended for long term. See the following link, I followed this guy's instructions and they worked great. Hasn't locked up all week.

http://possumblog.blogspot.com/2004/09/special-possumblog-weekend-edition.html

Good luck!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    First, make sure you are tightening the fuel cap on until it clicks three or four times. If you still have the problem, get Autozone to see if the CEL is throwing any codes related to fuel tank cap off, or wrong pressure etc. Finally, you could try replacing the fuel cap. The odds are it's related to pressure in the fuel tank.
    I've had a total of 4 ZX3's and never had one break down. Warranty adjustment issues, sure, but no breakdowns. On the warranty adjustment issues, I've had fewer than on my former Scion xA and Honda 2003 Civic.

I wouldn't worry about it. Plus you get a 100k mile powertrain warranty.
  • kel2kel2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Focus in March. Until this week, I loved my car! Last weekend the oil light came on--but only when the key was out of the ignition and the car was off. The door-ajar light would also occasionally blink. The following morning, I went out side and the interior dome light was on (I didn't leave it on), the car was was making a soft beeping noise. Keep in mind that during all this "activity" no-one was in the car. My remote keys and central locking also did not work.
    I took the car to the dealership on Monday. They did not even look at it until Wednesday. I picked it up Wednesday and was told it was fixed, the tumbler was causing a circuit, they replaced the tumbler. I had the car for an hour, before the same syptoms started right up again. I took it back to the dealer the same day. The dealer apparently drove it around for two days (when I told them it is not a driving problem--they put 70 miles on my car). Said there was nothing wrong with it, so I picked it up again last night. I drove home, parked it in the drive way and several hours later went out side to find the interier dome light on and the oil light blinking. I haven't called the dealer back yet. I want to find out if any one has been having these problems with the 2005 focus. :sick:
    Disconnect the batter for ten minutes and see if that helps (reprograms the computer). Otherwise make a video and show the customer service people at Ford.
  • slowlearnerslowlearner Member Posts: 1
    Just had this problem fixed today on my 2003 Focus SE. I was lucky it wouldn't start at home. Just one more turn of the key, and I would have been over 100 miles away.

Another website said that this problem affects 2003 and earlier models. The dealership said that they're using an updated part so this will never happen again. It better not, next time it fails it likely won't be under warranty.

Other messages in this forum suggest going to a locksmith (where they'll replace with tumblers that won't have a defect) instead of a Ford dealership (where they'll use a Ford part).
  • dblbogeydblbogey Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has an 01 ZX3 with 102k. It has actually been a great little car and she just loves it. She commented to me last night that it has developed a real bad vibration. After further investigation the vibration is experienced at idle in P and N but gets worse when placed in gear. She also mentioned that she would hear a squeal when she turns on the A/C. I inspected the belt, it appeared in good condition and the tentioner seems to be working, I then had here start the car and observed the belt. The belt vibrates and jumps like something is seriously out of balance. Has anyone had a problem with the harmonic balancer, alternator, smog pump, or compressor causing excessive vibration?
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    I think your pretty safe to buy an 06 Focus. From the
    various consumer articles I've read, Ford has gotten
    the bugs out of this car. Remember, the Focus first
    came out in Y2000, and many of the problems/recalls
    were in the first few years.
    Not that I'm promoting it, but if you buy the Focus, you might
    consider buying the ESP plan for extra piece of mind. With
    the ESP plan, you can take your Focus to any Ford dealer
    for breakdown repairs.
  • mklee176mklee176 Member Posts: 1
    So, this is a dumb question....do I really have to change the air filter on my ZX5 when I'm at my local Jiffy Lube for an oil change? Or, is it so simple, that I can do it myself? If it's that simple, can one of the talented people on here give me some direction?
    Thanks a bunch!!! :)
  • mjwojnamjwojna Member Posts: 2
    I bought this 03 ZX5 for my teenage daughters last summer thinking the car would be dependable safe transportation to get them through HS and college. I paid $9500 for it with 18K miles and 15 months of warranty left. After 2 months, the CEL comes on. Problem with fuel system, dealer changes out a PCV and leaking hose. This past summer the car stalls on my daughter, fortunately a few blocks from home. Alternator gets replaced. Last week, after hesitating and lurching, car stalls and dies again. This time at night, far from home. Dealer replaces a bad PCM (powertrain control module) and assorted transmission problems including replacing auto transmission main control valve body and/or solenoid? Dealer tells me had this hapened 2 weeks from now I would have been out $1800. The car has 26K miles on it and its 3 yr warranty expires at the end of this month. My girls like the car but I'm afraid this is a sign of more problems to come. The Ford dealer quoted an extended warranty 7 years & 60K miles for $925. Is it worth purchasing and taking my chances with this car or do I trade it in for something more reliable.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I have an 04 ZX3 with just shy of 50,000 miles on it, great car!! The PCV valve has been a problem (replaced twice), but other than that the car has been great. Occasionally Zippy (my ZX3) has issues with starting, but she does eventually alway start. She is by far the best car I've ever owned.

Personally I would buy the extended warranty, I did for Zippy even though she's never really been a problem. I paid $1350 for a 4 year/100k premium plus extended warranty.
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    What kind of trouble are you having with your Focus ST?
  • claraswagonclaraswagon Member Posts: 3
    We bought a 2003 Focus SE wagon...April 2003. In the 28 months we had it, we put only 14K mls on it. It was extremely problematic... 5 service issues early in it's life. Leaking A/C drain (2X), that repair caused damage to the pass. side dashboard-- never properly repaired, loose door handle. loose window (in the track), loose / wandering steering, POOR windshield defrost (always). Biggest problem was poor service / damage caused by service dept., and 100% lack of support from Ford. Actually could have been covered by the lemon law. In for service 90 days +. So... traded and took a 45% depreciation in 2 1/2 years and 14K miles. Upside?? Was only 13K new. But POOR SERVICE!!!!! After 30 years, and 24 cars, I am DONE with Ford. Good Luck.
    without a second look back when I mentioned the car wasn't accelerating as smoothly as my prior ZX3 with a PZEV. Updating the computer software was like adding an aftermarket speed part - it accelerated faster and smoother and I had a grin on my face! Just so it isn't all about "lemons" on this board.
  • tdi guytdi guy Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know how to remove the antenna base from the roof? I removed the map light assembly from inside and can see the part that secures the antenna base, but can't seem to figure out how the part is removed/loosened. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    you can get one from ford .. ask for your dealer's "parts" dept.. also look around the internet..

if yo do not need the OEM part.. look around the internet.. there is plenty of differnet models.. but I do not know which ones would fit in Focus
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    it is possible yo ujust have a bad car.... if you like it enough get the extended warranty as recommended. BUT GET IT BEFORE THE REGULAR ONE RUNS OUT... othersie you will pay much more...

But it seems that the car has enough prblems to justify a trade in... (I personally, if I were in your situation and had sufficient meas would go buy something different - it is ver ywell prossible the problem is hte particular car, not Focus design though so I wouldn't want you to turn back on Focus just because you possibly got ripped off on a problmmeatic car.

I hope this helps.

Igor
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    a bad battery can cause some strange problems. my wife had an sho that seemed possessed. noises would come out of the speakers when the radio wasn't on, the power locks would lock/unlock for no reason, lights on the dashboard would come on/go out. it needed a new battery.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • powelldgpowelldg Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '04 Focus ZX3 (2.3, manual) last year, which I'm quite happy with, EXCEPT headlight illumination on low beam. The high beams are decent but low beam illumination isn't adequate to the point of being dangerous on the highway. I keep the coverings clean and adjustment isn't the problem. Thoughts, ideas, a fix?

Thanks for the tip, reuel3, and thanks for all responses.

DP
    Go to Walmart. They have a large selection of Sylvania after market bulbs that promise to be brighter. BTW, I have owned several ZX3 and always felt the low beams were fine. But, ymmv.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    i split my driving pretty much between a focus and an explorer. i also find the headlights on the focus are not as bright as i would like them and have a narrow beam.
    of course, i don't see as well at night as i used to. :blush:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • eggdrivereggdriver Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to change my air filter on a 2002 ZX5 and am having a hard time getting the top of the airbox removed. I got 2 out of the 4 8mm bolts out but can't get the other 2 out.
    They appear to be stripped or something as I when I turn the bolt; it just keeps spinning. A big problem is that it really isn't a nut attached to the other side but rather a crazy fastener thing that is perfectly round; hence I can't get a grip on it to try and break it free.
    I've tried the LiquidWrench/WD40/PBLaster route and still no luck.

Anyone else have this trouble and how did you correct it?
    I've got an idea but it's really my last resort.

Thanks...
  • lynnallisonglynnallisong Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 ZX3 w/ 78,000 miles--mostly highway mileage. I have had to replace the alternator, slave cyl, clutch last october and the master cyl a few days ago. When I picked it up from having the master cyl replaced last wed the mechanic told me I needed to hurry up and sell the car b/c clutch was about to go, again. The clutch went out as I was driving on highway the next morning. The car is parked on a side street at this time. The mechanic said the clutch would be around $900 to fix, and the brakes also need to be replaced and they are very expensive as well. Seems silly to put more $ into a car that is not worth anything. Help! I appreciate any response.
  • bigstrokerbigstroker Member Posts: 1
    I had my Ignition changed out tonight by a locksmith and when he finished the car would start but won't stay on unless I keep my foot on the gas. Has anyone had this problem. The locksmith says its the same key and he doesn't know why it won't stay started now.

Thanks
  • jdeljdel Member Posts: 1
    hey i was having the same problem with my 01 focus se. i dont trust almost any shop
    so i tried to trouble shoot the problem my self and found that there is a diode in the main fuse box ( engine compartment ) it looks just like a fuse but its black and has a marking like this on it -/<-- there are two one for the engine elecrical and one for the fans. you can just switch them to see if this works if it works go buy the one thats blown and replace with corect one. i dont think they ere the same resistance. hope this helps
  • heather_reneeheather_renee Member Posts: 1
    Hello- I also have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. I have replaced the ignition switch and tumblers in 2003 and I am about to replace it again not even 2 years later. I have filed a complaint with Ford, but I'am no getting any support from them.
  • fanniefocusfanniefocus Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 2000 focus that I have had very few problems with up to this point. I did have the fuel module replaced and had to pay to fix the ignition problem. My car has 87,000 miles on it and when I put my car in park, the engine rev's up to 3000 and 4000. The revving only stops when I press on the brakes or turn the car off. What could be the problem? Also, the CEL comes and goes randomly.
  • josh8315josh8315 Member Posts: 1
    ok i have the exact same probem.

everything with the left tail light works, except the running light when the headlights are on.

the bulbs are fine. tried a million. even switched the socket assemblies for the left and right side, still, the left side wont go on with the headlights.

anyone have any idea how to fix this?

thnx
  • gregzx5gregzx5 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone... back in April I posted a concern about a whining noise in the trans when slowing down and was advised by some to just wait until the car is "broken in". Well, it's now November and I have nearly 6000 on my ZX5 and the noise is still there, however somewhat less annoying than before. Regardless, it's still an annoying sound. Has anyone else experienced this and did you get it fixed??
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    I have two 05 zx4's with the auto tranny ,both have about 10,000 miles and both have the slight whining sound. I dont think its anything to worry about.
  • glprestonglpreston Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Focus is stuck in park. The lights, air and other accessories will not work. The alternator is working the car starts but I can not get it out of park. What can I do??
  • rick27513rick27513 Member Posts: 29
    My '01 focus has an ignition problem; the key will turn to the 'run' position, and all dash lights come on, but turning a little further to the 'crank' position results in nothing. The battery checks good, clean terminals, shifter definitely in Park, still won't crank. When I've had it towed, it gets to the shop & cranks fine - no trouble found. This has happened 3 times! Any ideas???
    Odds are its the safety lock mechanism. Try pushing harder on the brake pedal before trying to take it out of park. VW's used to have this problem. There is always the chance the interlock is way out of adjustment (or broken) and pushing harder on the brake won't work. This hasn't been reported as a wide spread problem on Focii.
  • frizzlefryfrizzlefry Member Posts: 6
    Hello all. I had posted previously in this forum about how my brakes in my 2005 Focus were weak as hell after the car is cold started. At times I had to use two feet on the brake pedal to stop the car (almost got t-boned by a semi because of it...I was only going 10km per hour!) The brakes would start to behave normally after about 3-5 minutes of driving. I had it into the dealer 3 times and they replaced the booster, master cylinder and, finally, a vacuum hose that was updated by Ford. I was told that this would fix the problem. I finally had confidence that the Focus would stop safely. About two weeks after that visit to the dealer, I had to stop and, well, the brakes did not stop the car as they should. I was going about 15km per hour in stop and go traffic. I had 3 car lengths to stop and as I applied the brake the car did not stop moving. I increased the pressure to the point where I was using all my strength but the car simply slowed down gently...right into the rear end of a truck! The truck was undamaged but the Focus sustained 4300 bucks worth of damage to the hood, grill, bumper and various parts behind the grill. I took it back, again, to the dealer and they told me that Ford recently released a TSB to fix, and I quote from the work report, "Excessive brake pedal force required to stop vehicle at high altitudes after cold start". Needless to say I live in Calgary which is a high altitude location. Does the vehicle stop? Yes. But, as I measured when no one else was on the road, the emergency stopping distance is about 2.5 to 3 times longer than when the brakes are working as they should! Its especially dangerous because its hard to tell if the brakes are malfunctioning until you have to stop suddenly. The dealership gave me a priority service card for a local body shop and took my car to get the body work estimates for me. They did so due to the "special circumstances" of my situation I was told. However, when I asked that they pay for the body damage I was kindly informed to contact their legal department. This should be a recall! I have contacted various groups in attempts to persuade Ford to pay for it. I will take them to court as a last resort which is what my insurance company said I should do. Its ridiculous that Ford won't pay for the damages considering that there is a TSB for the very issue that caused the damage! So be warned 2005 Focus owners. I would return the car ASAP for your own safety if you live in a high altitude location. Tell your dealer it is due to TSB 05-16-13, Service Bulletin Number: 051613, NHTSA Item Number: 10016804. I know I sure won't buy a Ford again. As a side note, a rental Focus I had while my Focus was getting fixed had the very same problem with the brakes. Anyone experience the same issue? What steps should I take at this point?
    Print out a copy of your posting and give it to your insurance company. Also make sure you don't get "at fault" points with your DMV or equivalent. You'll preval in the end with Ford. They are just hesitant to accept liability immediately without fully investigating. There have been known to be people who have problems like this, but in the actual accident the cause was something else.
  • harmon6176harmon6176 Member Posts: 1
    My car was doing the same thing. We replaced the fuel filter and gave the car a complete tune-up but ended up replacing the fuel pump. $225 later (part only) my car runs great again.
    My particular Ford dealer service department includes 30,000 mile fuel filter changes as part of their recommended service. Although this is in excess of manfacturer requirements, I think it is a good idea. It might extend the fuel pump life, too - think of the fuel filter straining to pump fuel through a filter as the filter begins to clog up.
  • likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    The salesman was telling me how the passenger side airbag won't be activated unless there is weight in that seat. So if nobody is in it and I crash, helps to not ruin that part of the car or something.. But he didn't know how much weight the seat needed to be activated.. :confuse:

I'm just wondering if I can put my 20lb dog in the front seat and him not get an airbag in his face..
    No, the dog could be at risk. I had a 2005 and the "airbag not activated" sensor went on when I put a 15 pound backpack on the seat - in other words, the seat sensed the weight, but then deactivated the airbag after detecting a "light" occupant. On earlier models, the seats can't tell the difference between weights.
  • ac22ac22 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced my front rotors on my 04 ZX5.When I checked the brake pedal it went to the floor.Thinking I had air in the system I bled the front and rear brakes.Still have the same problem.This dees not make sense since I did not open any lines.What,s left besides the master cylinder?Dead in the water.
  • cdworkincdworkin Member Posts: 2
    You have a bad starting motor. When the engine is cold it will
    start fine, like when you first start up.
    After the car is warmed up the starter motor opens up and will
    not crank. Its happened to me
  • cdworkincdworkin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Focus with all power. The problem is the car alarm system is always on, parking lights and horn are going off all the time. I can not disable this alarm system. I have
    called the dealer and he says that the alarm is part of the car computer and cannot be disarmed. The company that makes
    this alarm is by AUTO MATE.
  • ohnomyfocusohnomyfocus Member Posts: 1
    I had similiar issues with my 04 Ford Focus. I bought it pre-owned at about 17,000 miles then I felt brake problems and squeakiness. I called the dealer and they said it was past the warranty to replace them. I went to a shop and they said the brakes were wearing unusually but did not need any at the time. They adjusted them and the squealing quit for a week. When I returned a couple of months later to have them serviced before I moved cross country, again they said they were ok but would need to replace when I get there.

After moving from CA to GA, I had them checked and I needed news brakes and rotors at only 25,000 miles. Then I repeatedly went back to the same shop to have them looked at because of the squealing and softness of the brakes. Finally, I called the shop back and the manager admitted to me that Ford Focus has a huge TSB list due to faulty brakes on Fords behalf. They replaced them with ceramic brakes to stop the noise and after returning again, they replaced the rear brake shoes.

Things were great for at least 2 weeks until I past my 36,000 mile warranty mark and the brakes would hit the floor literally!!. I returned to the shop they said they saw no problems and checked everything. I drove right out of there and had the same problem. I went to another shop and they saw no problems. I returned to the same shop and explained that something is wrong and they bled the brakes again. They test drove it and everything. Said it should be good. It was not. Then today (11/27/05) I took it to another shop and they experienced what I was trying to prove to everyone all along and said the last shop did not bleed them correctly. I had confidence that it was fixed then because they test drove it and said it hit the floor. But low and behold, when I got into that car on my way out of the shop, I again would not stop and and dragged along. I am so disgusted and frustrated. I now know that many others have faced this issue and I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get my money back. These cars are lemons in my opinoin from all the the astronimical similiar stories in this forum alone. Ford needs to repay any individual that has owned and suffered from Ford Focus defaults. Any suggestions? :mad: :cry:
  • tjatfordtjatford Member Posts: 7
    What Model Year Focus?
    Grab hold of the Positive cable near the battery post terminal. Wiggle the wire around two or three inches. Do the same with the negative cable near the battery post.
    Sounds like the BTSI (Brake Transmission Switch Interlock). Look near the shifter, there is a little circular plastic cap about .25 inches in diameter. Look down there and with a pen to manually over ride the safety.
This discussion has been closed.