Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

pega1pega1 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in Ford
Hi everyone... My girlfriend owns a 2003 Focus. (I don't know the trim, but it's a 4 dour sedan with the SOHC engine.)

Anyhow, the automatic transmission slips badly between all gears, esp. when accelerating harder. The car is under warranty but the dealership appears to me to do everything (and charge for it) but to actually get their hands dirty with the tranny...

Any suggestions? How do you get a Ford dealership to stop pulling your chain?

Thanks! J

Comments

• marjkmarjk Member Posts: 1
    Wow - I thought it was just me! I have a 2004 ZX5 (4-door hatchback) and am having similar problems. I bought the car used (17K) in September and about three weeks ago started having problems with the same kind of gear slippage you describe. My car has been at the dealership for two weeks now because they claim that these cars have never had transmission problems and Ford Motor Corp. is dragging their heels about giving them permission to put in a new tranny. This is a highly recommended dealer so I'm a little dismayed. Any input would be appreciated!

Marj
  • bt2882bt2882 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 200 ford focus, and I have the same problem with the transmission slipping. I would be driving and then suddenly i am in neutral and the Multifunction light will come up. I checked with the dealership and said that nothing was wrong. Did you ever get that problem fixed?
  • bk40bk40 Member Posts: 9
    I am having similar difficulties with my Ford Focus ZX4 ST, 2.3 liter engine. It broke down with 700 (yes, 700) miles on the odometer. I was upshifting from first to second when the shifter refused to go into gear. After a new slave cylinder did not resolve the problem, the dealer determined I needed a new clutch assembly. It took more than three weeks to replace the clutch assembly. The car has broken down three times since then, and still has less than 2000 miles. The dealer currently working on the car informed me that the clip which attaches the shift cable to the transmission was of defective design. A new clip has been sent to this dealer (the third to work on the car). As I write this, I am waiting to hear from this dealer to find out when the car will be fixed.

While I didn't have the clutch problem you described, I did notice odd smells (like burning plastic) coming from one of the dashboard vents after the second fix attempt. I too ascribed the smell to "burning off the newness". Perhaps this is not related to the clutch at all. But for what it's worth, my original dealer thought he had to replace the clutch when that was not the problem.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    While I didn't have the clutch problem you described, I did notice odd smells (like burning plastic) coming from one of the dashboard vents after the second fix attempt. I too ascribed the smell to "burning off the newness". Perhaps this is not related to the clutch at all. But for what it's worth, my original dealer thought he had to replace the clutch when that was not the problem.

I too had this problem (burning smell) when I first got my 04 ZX3. Took it back to the dealer and they determined it was a cleaning agent used during the detail process. They cleaned the engine up and I never smelled it again.

My ZX3 is just over 1 year old and has over 42,200 miles on it. No real problems with the car to speak of, clutch is still like new.
  • cfarrellcfarrell Member Posts: 5
    I'm having the same problem and no can seem to figure it out. Where you able to get it fixed? Did they tell you what the problem was?
  • banditsmumbanditsmum Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2003 Focus ZX5 less than 2 months ago, it is an automatic but seemed to die when in neutral at stop lights and when you take off seems to rev to 5,000 rpms but skip gears or down shift with a thud! I am bringing it in to the dealership in the morning, does any one have any insight on this problem???? :sick:
    Transmission. Specifically, the clip that connects the transmission cable to the shifter - it came off repeatedly during the first 1800 miles, always on an upshift. This would result in an inability to put the car into gear. The first time happened with 700 miles on the odometer. The dealership from which I bought the car attempted a fix by replacing the slave cylinder. When that didn't work, they tried replacing the clutch assembly. Obtaining parts to do this took nearly three weeks. After many calls to Ford Customer Relations, I finally got my car back, and it broke down again, this time locking in reverse. Same dealership resolved the problem by making "an adjustment". Shortly thereafter, it broke down a third time (again, on an upshift - the car refused to go into any gear) on a trip to Pennsylvania. The local dealership correctly identified the problem, and even noted that the clip was failing due to a design defect. They attempted to compensate with a cotter pin. I was able to drive back to New York City, where the car broke down a fourth time (same problem - the cotter key pin fix failed). At this point, I discovered that the dealership from whom I bought the car had gone out of business. Therefore, the car went to another local dealer, who merely re-attached the cable. When I refused to accept the car, the service manager called Ford and apparently reached someone who not only acknowledged the design defect but also promised to send a re-designed part. This part was installed at about 1780 miles. I have since driven about 1500 miles without another failure, but I don't trust the car as far as I can throw it. It's very frustrating to have a car with an engine so potent they don't even put a redline on the tach but which I fear to take over 3000 rpm for fear of another failure. And through this entire ordeal I have gotten multiple ineffectual responses from Ford Customer Relations.
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    check your local emon laws.. three times the same problem might make you qualify for a buyback.. you might just be driving a lemon

Igor
    Under New York State law, a car qualifies as a lemon if it either cannot be repaired after four or more attempts, or if it is out of service for 30 days or more during the first two years or 18,000 miles of use, whichever comes first. My car met these conditions in July (out of service for more than 40 days). I filed for arbitration under the law, and had a hearing in early October. At no time have I been contacted by anyone from Ford's regional office, which is why I'm trying to get my money back (as opposed to a replacement vehicle). I only learned of the location of the office (Mahwah, NJ) when I received my hearing date - it was identified in the hearing notice papers. I'm told a decision should be provided by the end of the month.
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    Boy oh boy have you had some bad experiences with the shifter!
    What year was your Focus? I ask because I wonder if Ford has
    redesigned this flaw. I wonder if you can make a lemon law claim?
    It's a 2005 SXT ZX4. I've made a lemon law claim, had my hearing, and am awaiting a decision. At the third dealer who examined the car, the service manager said he called Ford and found out the part has been redesigned, and he accordingly ordered and installed the new part. I also discovered TSB 05-8-1 which addresses a problem with the manual transmission's inability to shift into 5th gear. Not sure if the two items are related or not, but will wait and see how the decision comes down before I decide whether or not to investigate the matter any further.
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I have a 06 Focus ZX5 automatic with only a few hundred miles on it. Noticed, that in one instance when I brake hard then ease up on the brake (squeeze)and come to a stop the tranny hangs in second gear too long, and then shifts in to first giving the car a noticeable jolt. Other times brake hard then do a rolling stop and than back on the gas the tranny hangs in second then shifts to first gear abruptly. Under normal braking the downshifts are smooth. Asked the dealer about it but they say there is no technical service bulletin issued by Ford and they believe this is normal for this tranny. They did not sound too convincing, so I would like to ask you guys for your opinion on this shifting pattern for the Focus. Is it normal or I have a bad tranny? Thanks for your help.
  • reelsmareelsma Member Posts: 1
    in the month of august, my father purchased me a 2001 ford focus with 80,000 miles approximately. the transmission seemed to be having problems only days later. the car will drive but there is a knocking noise coming from the car. i have been told that my transmission fuel pump may be gone bad. any similar experiences?...by the way it is an automatic :sick:
  • 05focuszx305focuszx3 Member Posts: 1
    2005 Focus ZX3 5-speed manual 36,000 miles

Okay, so I get back from a short trip and the next day struggle to get the car in reverse. It will not do this (the reverse lights won't even come on) and the car instead drives forward. Clutch and all other gears seem to work fine, just can't get that reverse gear to engage.

Anyone had this problem before?
  • elizamaiaelizamaia Member Posts: 1
    I started experiencing transmission (55,000miles) problems with my 2001 focus so I had a Family mechanic look at it. He is a master mechanic specializing in Ford vehicles. When I first mentioned the issue he knew immediately that it was the trans. He suggested I call National Ford customer service to see if they would take some responsibility for a crappy product. I did not drive my car for a month and suggested I bring it to the dealership to confirm issue. Both Ford and dealership refused to help and stated that because the car sat in my driveway for a month that the noise they heard was the brakes and not the trans. By the way, I had the brakes and rotars replaced at 44,000 miles. After paying another 500.00 for new brakes and rotars, the dealer conceded stating it was the trans. So I asked them that if all the cars on their lot sat longer than a month, would they have to replace all the brakes and rotars before selling them? I did ask for the brakes and rotars back and they were practically brand new. Never again will I buy a ford... no wonder Toyota is the number one car company! The Ford dealership's logo is "you will be satisfied"... Mmmm... probably should change that soon!
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Toyota as a franchise has the worst dealers of all major brands according to JD powers.

Mark.
    Sometimes if you put it into First and let off on the cluth just enough for the gear to grab, you can then get it into reverse very easy.

Remember there is no syncro on reverse.
  • bigodawgbigodawg Member Posts: 1
    i'm working on a 03 focus at my shop with trnasmission problems. the car has no problem shifting out of first gear then when its in second the rpm's go up to like 3000 and the car has a hard time shifting out of second gear...any suggestions on where to start on fixing the problem?

Thanks
  • xennusxennus Member Posts: 1
    2003 Focus SE with automatic trans. The gear shifter moves but not changing the gear. I checked where the cable connects and it appears fine. I pushed the arm to change gears at the transmission while a friend moved the gear shifter and it worked fine. I could then use the gear shifter to put back into reverse and then park but it would not work again after going into park. Any ideas?
  • shalko42shalko42 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 ford focus sedan SE with about 45,000 miles. I've always taken good care of it and about a week ago i even got 4 new tires with an alinement and oil change. However, randomly the other day my reverse gear wouldn't work. Everything else would work - it would drive forward, park, startup no problem, but for whatever reason when i put it in reverse and it was like the car was in neautral. It had no movement what so ever and when i pressed the gas the engine would just rev like in neutral. I had it towed to a local ford dealer and they are still playing around with it, saying they got it to go in reverse but aren't QUITE sure what the problem is. Anybody know what could cause this and how much it costs to fix?
  • amoraitisamoraitis Member Posts: 1
    I just had a trans put in my 2002 focus. The transmission was totally destoyed as the dealer put it. the car has 47,000. Anyway to save $1000, I took it to a shop. They put in a trans form a junked focus because it was not able to be rebuilt, the end result? This trans is going and after 2 letters and a phone call, Ford will not do anything for me. Good luck
  • raehart18raehart18 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the SAME problem with my 03. Did you ever find out the issue??
  • ford_sucksford_sucks Member Posts: 1
    I am an owner of two Ford vehicles a 2002 Ford Focus and a 2002 Ford Explorer. They were purchased on the same day as Certified Ford Used vehicles. I bought American vehicles to support American companies and American workers.

At approximately 43,000 miles I had to take my Focus to get the transmission repaired. I did this at an authorized Ford dealer in Huntington Beach, CA. Repairs were made and I was on my way. At approximately 73,000 miles I was having the same issues and again was delivered to an authorized Ford Service center. They weren't able to find any problems with the transmission, however they found $429 in other repairs I "needed". I took the car back another time at about 74,500 to be looked at again without the dealer finding any problems.

Now, I am at 75,420 - 420 miles past my ESP Warranty and according to the dealer I need a new Transmission. I've been through all of the 800 numbers I can find and they all say there is nothing they can do and I am screwed. Actually one of the ladies hung up on me!!

2 transmissions in 75k miles and Ford is telling me that is MY problem. I took out a 5 year loan on the vehicle, I owe $3500 still and according to Ford I need $2,900 in repairs on a car that might be work $3,000... Thanks Ford! I will never buy a Ford again!!
    And of course you have the receipts for the trans service due every 30k miles on the Explorer?

Mark.
  • shotokanmanshotokanman Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used 2001 focus off of a friend with 88000 k on it. In the past few weeks it has been acting weird on acceleration from a stop. It feel as though it is not getting enough fuel or maybe the transmission is going. What do you think the problem may be?
  • lawilllawill Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 focus has a bad pump seal. It has 95000 miles on it. I was wondering if any other owners have had this problem? A local mechanic said that there has been a lot of problems with trasmissions on the 2.0..... :confuse:
  • focusdeucefocusdeuce Member Posts: 1
    "shift solenoid c" i think it is went.... and the more u drive with the problem the more work need to get done to the trans...
  • niki3niki3 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing just started happening to my 03 focus. On my way home from work last night, something just felt weird about it then it suddenly lurched forward. I had my boyfriend drive it this morning, and he said it wasn't coming out of second. We dropped it off at a shop today. Were you able to fix it, and should I be preparing myself for a majorly expensive repair?
  • zapoluchzapoluch Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Focus, and it just started to act up. When I shift from park to drive, and then accelerate, it acts like it's in neutral for a few seconds and then shifts. The car has just under 53,000 miles on it. It's unfortunate that so many of us are having similar issues.

I went to Ford's customer service website and tried to e-mail them, but the page didn't load correctly both times I tried. All I can say is that EVERYONE needs to call their dealer and/or Ford's customer service line so they are forced to acknowledge the problem.

Here's the Ford number: 1-800-392-3673

I'm going to start shopping for a new car immediately.
  • zapoluchzapoluch Member Posts: 2
    Mine does the lurching thing, too, every once in awhile. I had the car looked at a few months ago, and they said everything was fine. Call Ford and complain!
  • lantazlantaz Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Focus Se with the same problem. You shift to drive and it stays in neutral for about a minute then it shifts into gear. Reverse works well, with no problems. Were you able to find out what the issue was with your car? Thanks
  • merchengmercheng Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2002 Focus ZX3 and have just started having problems with the transmission. As you say the shift sequence sometimes doesn't engage, in our case the car remains in second. If it does reach third it only holds it for a while before dropping backing into second with the jolt you speak of. I have had no problems with reverse and although I am no auto mechanic I do work as a marine engineer and have some experience with engines.

It was actually my girlfriend who took the car in and as usual it was the computer that told the mechanic where the problem lay... Must be nice that.. Never have to find the problem yourself. Well enough of mocking todays auto mechanics.... Almost...

My girlfriend was told what the problem was in this case it is a faulty shift solenoid that was faulty. Fine I'll accept that, what I wouldn't accept is that the mechanic said it would be fine to drive about normally until it could be repaired. NOT FINE... My girlfriend drives like a maniac at times and I can only imagine what would happend to the head, head gasket and con rods if she were driving it around in third (Through 'D') and was going at any speed when it suddenly dropped back down into second. Engine braking is fine on a manual when it is controlled and this isn't a diesel so isn't designed to cope with the high pressures involved.

Do yourself a favour and drive the car in second so you have no unexpected shifts. This car was second hand and had 60,000 on the clock so you know. The action I am taking is to change out the entire solenoid valve shift assembly and housing and replace it. $750 inc tax.
  • merchengmercheng Member Posts: 2
    For your info when they plug up the computer heres what the numbers mean relating to the shift solenoid should you catch a glimpse....

P0750 Shift solenoid (SS) A - Circuit malfunction
    P0751 Shift solenoid (SS) A - performance or stuck off
    P0752 Shift solenoid (SS) A - stuck on
    P0753 Shift solenoid (SS) A - electrical
    P0754 Shift solenoid (SS) A - circuit intermittent
    P0755 Shift solenoid (SS) B - Circuit malfunction
    P0756 Shift solenoid (SS) B - performance or stuck off
    P0757 Shift solenoid (SS) B - stuck on
    P0758 Shift solenoid (SS) B - electrical
    P0759 Shift solenoid (SS) B - circuit intermittent
    P0760 Shift solenoid (SS) C - Circuit malfunction
    P0761 Shift solenoid (SS) C - performance or stuck off
    P0762 Shift solenoid (SS) C - stuck on
    P0763 Shift solenoid (SS) C - electrical
    P0764 Shift solenoid (SS) C - circuit intermittent
    P0765 Shift solenoid (SS) D - Circuit malfunction
    P0766 Shift solenoid (SS) D - performance or stuck off
    P0767 Shift solenoid (SS) D - stuck on
    P0768 Shift solenoid (SS) D - electrical
    P0769 Shift solenoid (SS) D - circuit intermittent
    P0770 Shift solenoid (SS) E - Circuit malfunction
    P0771 Shift solenoid (SS) E - performance or stuck off
    P0772 Shift solenoid (SS) E - stuck on
    P0773 Shift solenoid (SS) E - electrical
    P0774 Shift solenoid (SS) E - circuit intermittent
  • sesro1978sesro1978 Member Posts: 2
    Hi-

I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 (manual transmission). Recently I've noticed that while driving at 35mph or above (usually in 4th or 5th), the transmission seems to "hitch" or "skip" (not sure how to best to describe this...). Additionally, occasionally when I go to start the vehicle it doesn't always turn-over immediately. Both of these things don't happen on a regular basis but just every now and then...

I know that I need to take it into a garage to get it looked at but I wanted to find out if anyone else out there had any information on these 2 issues? Any idea(s) about repair costs?

Thanks much,
    Seth
  • 2000zxefocus2000zxefocus Member Posts: 1
    The transmission died today. The car has 61,000 miles. I did not use and abuse this car, bought new. Ford Motor Co can not help because it was purchased from an independent dealership. Ford number: 1-800-392-3673. (Ford and their dealers agreed on a six (6) year limit for problems) You HAVE to take it to a dealership for evaluation to be input into Ford's system for them to TRY to help financially for repair costs prior to the 6 year or 60,000 limitations. Bottom line is you will pay approx $2,000 because the transmissions are totally trashed. Many family members are Ford employees and buying Fords since I can remember. I guess when you buy cheap that's what you get..cheap. Message to Ford...quit making cheap crap for marketing and build what you started out to do, build a reliable vehicle at a cost effective price for consumers. Not all of us can afford a $300+ car payment. Hell, the $220 payment was a killer in todays economy. I am sorry downsizing cost people jobs but they were living above their means anyway at a job that pays over $18/hr. I am fighting for pay check to pay check survival. I am not on a bus line. I have no other mode of transportation. I will lose my job and home because Ford knows about the problem and did nothing to fix it. Yes, I am angry.
    Did you buy it outside the US? If not then how do you know it was "new" when you purchased it.

Someone tell me I'm wrong but I understand that ONLY a franchised dealer can sell "new" Fords.

For the purpose of this discussion, I consider a car used once it is titled.

Did you do the trans service every 30k?

Most people DO not understand that 61,000 miles of stop and go traffic over 6 years is way way harder on a auto trans then 61,000 of mostly highway miles over 3 years. You could easily have put the car through the number of shifts in 61,000 miles of city driveing that someone else does in 150,000 of mostly highway miles.

IMHO if you do not follow the scheduled maintenence in the owners manual, you have only yourself to blame for problems.

Mark.
  • jeromebjeromeb Member Posts: 31
    Hello folks, I wouldn't be posting here if it wasn't true, so consider what you paid for it.
    I bought my 2003 Ford Focus SE as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. One aspect of that purchase was that it had extended warranties out the wahoo. Another was that it was supposedly certified to have never been in a collision. The warranties are real, but the other one is false. The car had been wrecked, the hood had been replaced and painted in a repair shop. This was pointed out to me by an insurance adjustor during a later claim. Anyway, being a good little puppy I took the Focus to a nearby very well regarded dealer for a 30,000 mile service.
    At that time I mentioned that on a couple of occasions it had slipped out of gear momentarily. The dealer promptly rebuilt the transmission under warranty. No jacking around.
    Lately, on a few occasions the transmission has delivered a very momentary blip. Today, though, in trying to accelerate from 40mph on a service road to 60mph on a highway, the transaxle crapped out and wouldn't leave second gear. I was about 4 miles from the previously mentioned dealer and managed to limp into their service drive with no further destruction. This dealership has treated me so good, I'll say their name, Sam Pack's Five Star Ford in Lewisville, TX.
    What do I expect? I expect them to make it as good as new under the extended warranty, and charge me a small deductible, just like the paperwork says. That's the way they've been treating me ever since I've been doing business with them, and I don't regret a bit of it.

The service advisor checked the transaxle fluid and remarked that it was discolored. The mileage on the vehicle is about 56000 miles, and by-the-book transaxle service would have been done at 60000. When I get it back, though, I'm going to move that transaxle service interval to 15000 miles.

These are just machines. You use them, and they wear out. You maintain them, and they last forever. This one is under warranty so the cost out of pocket will be low, but I'm highly educated on transaxle issues now. 15,000 mile interval for transaxle service, and it will be ok.
    That is not true. A certified vehicle may have had body work done. You are entitled to a vehicle history report. A car cannot be certified if there was a bent or repaired frame or if has a branded title such as salvage, junk, lemon law, flood, etc.

Also it takes up to six weeks for a repair to appear on the vehicle history report. The dealer was probably aware of the repair though.

Mark.
    Take me OFF the list of 2003 Focus owners who have transaxle problems. The air mass sensor was out of spec and the behaviour it induced in the vehicle made me and my pre-electronic understanding of automobiles believe that something was wrong with the transaxle. The Service advisor compounded the confusion by pulling out the oil dipstick while thinking she was getting the transaxle dipstick.

They also found that the timing belt pulley was loose. That repair was warranted. The air mass sensor was not.

The AMS part & labor was a little over $500. Ow!

Anyway, the car runs good now, and the transaxle fluid is bright pink.

Mark, I've read one place on the internet where a CPO means that the car is not to have been in a collision. That differs materially from saying that a car may not have been salvaged. The part known to have been replaced was the hood, and I never asked for a vehicle history report.

I've got the car and the payments, and it runs good.
    I'm not converted to the "Fix Or Repair Daily" religion yet.
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    I recently had a very rough running symptom on my 97 Escort LX Wagon, a direct ancestor of your car. The shop that had been doing all my routine and scheduled maintenance said the catalytic converter had a hole in it - please pay $800 to replace it. Fortunately I went for a second opinion. The better mechanic said if the CC had a hole in it we would hear it and smell exhaust in the area, neither of which was the case, and replacing the cc would not have fixed the problem. The problem was the mass air flow sensor was bad, and also the air intake temp sensor. I bought the parts for less than $200 and he installed them in 20 minutes. Problem fixed. As he explained it, the mass air flow sensor feeds back to the computer and effectively controls the fuel-air mixture. When that sensor is bad you have a bad [way-too-rich in my case] mix and a very rough running engine.

As a postscript, the first shop will just be be doing tire and alignment work for me henceforth and maybe an occasional oil change.

I'm hoping to find a lightly used '07 ZX5 next summer, to replace the faithful old Escort.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I thought that A.M.S. was covered under an extended warranty for PZEV (Emission Control) ?
    This particular vehicle does not have any markings on the body or notations in the owner's manual to indicate that it is a PZEV. The Ford dealer nearby is high quality in my eyes and this particular service advisor has dealt me straight before.
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    I was wondering if the valve cover has any indication, but then I found this on a forum, describing the way to tell a PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) from a Zetec, "Intake manifold [on the PZEV] is towards the front of the car, and the exhaust is towards the back and therefore doesnt run under the engine...." Then I looked at a couple of Ford VIN decoder tables, and VIN position 8 indicates engine type and seems totally ambiguous about PZEV. There is an entry for a 2.3 PZEV in 2003 and 2004, but none for a 2.0 PZEV before 2005. Look here (for other years just change the year number in the link): https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/pdfs/VIN2003.pdf
    The problem is that VIN character 8 seems to indicate displacement and nothing more, as the same character can be a PZEV or not.
    Prior to 05, all 2.3L were PZEV and all PZEV were 2.3L According, if you have an 04 with a 2.3L, you have a PZEV.

AFTER 05, no 2.3L were PZEV and so if you have an 05 though 07 with a 2.3L, you do not have PZEV.

For 05 to 07, PZEVs are mandatory in the 5 CA emissions states. If you live in CA emissions state, you have PZEV.

PZEV is also available in cross border states. If you live next to a state that requires CA emissions, open your hood and if you see a sticker that says "this car is certified for sale in CA" then you have PZEV. If you see "this car is certified for sale in all 50 states" then you do not have PZEV.

Mark.

Mark.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Interestingly, I had a '97 Escort where the automatic would do the same thing.
  • reggiepiercereggiepierce Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Focus only has 43,000 miles and I also and having a problem with the transmission bucking and knocking when I give the car the gas. I will now change the transmission fuel pump. My car is also an automatic.
    that are you talking about?

Older Focuses required trans service at 30k I believe.

Mark.
  • motherof8motherof8 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter purchased from a private party two months ago a ford focus 2002 sedan, with 36,000 miles on it for 5,000. We had it inspected prior to purchase. Passed with flying colors.

The engine light when on and we checked the errors -- thermostat and gas cap. Hubby changed the thermostat and we tightened the gas cap.
    She drove it 40 mins and then from a stop sign it wouldn't go past 35 miles an hour without it engaging. Our reliable transmission people state that third and fourth gear are shot within the transmission. Before hearing again from them I'd like to ask...
    Questions: Is it worth fixing? Is it best to swap the who trans out or fix the internal issue? Was there a recall situation, we are not aware of? Could this car have more mileage on it that we see on the gage? If so, how so?

I was so proud of her paying cash for this car....She she trade it in (running of course) for a newer dealer Toyota?
  • dball1dball1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Jeromeb, I have an 05 Focus ST that was rear-ended up in highland village last friday. Have you had body work done at Sam Pack in Lewisville and if so, were you happy?
    Thanks!!
  • focuspokusfocuspokus Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks. I have an 02 Focus, auto trans. The car has 114K lightly driven miles and recently started running rough. Belts & pulleys are in great shape, but you can actually mash down on the block and cut out the vibration. Therefore I assume it may be the motor mounts. I have neglected that for 2-3 weeks. After the car sat in near freezing temps for three days, I get in to drive and out of the blue the transmission slips. Reverse, first & second are ok, very slow and hard drop into third, and no fourth. Before I shell out the big ones for a new tranny, is it possible that this could be related to the previously mentioned engine vibration, or clogged fluid filter or circulation problem? Thanks!