Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix: General Care & Maintenance

ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
I'm finally getting ready to do my first oil change (2005 GXP Dark Cherry) and thinking I want to run a synthetic like Mobile 1. Have any of you been running synthetics in you GXP or other performance cars? Since my GXP is currently my "weekend" driver so I don't log the miles rapidly and with the 6 months of wet stuff in the NW it hasn't been out for to many trips this winter.
Curious as to your experiences; especially anyone who has used synthetic oil on a vehicle for a lot of miles.
ps: went to the forum on the oils and its abit overwhelmingwiht so many entries.

Comments

• rmozolrmozol Member Posts: 124
    oc, I can't figure how to attach a link here. I have a great writeup on synthetic oils, and more specifically, Mobil 1. I'm going to wait until at least a few thousand miles for my changeover. E-mail me at "baaboo@wi.rr.com" of you want me to forward it. From what I read, there is nothing bad about synthetic oil, grease, or lubricants.
  • dribs15dribs15 Member Posts: 6
    one of my best friend's late dad was the highest AC-Delco guy for GM on the whole Atlantic Coast and when I got my loaded 97 gtp dark teal metallic (that he convinced me to check out w/ the new styling and engine), he told me to change the oil with Mobil one when the trip computer says and I will never have a problem with the eng/trans. So I did and enjoyed 131k w/o any issues before i traded it for a loaded w/ nav 06 gxp liquid silver and i plan on doing the same thing with it. 3900+ miles and loving every second of it. disclaimer: granted that was w/ the 3800 v-6 supercharged and this is a v-8 aluminum, but I'd think that it should be the same if not better. good luck and enjoy!
  • gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Member Posts: 38
    ANYONE KNOW AN EASY WAY TO REMOVE THE GM BADGE THAT THE 06 GXP HAS ON BOTH FRONT FENDERS NEAR THE DOORS....IT JUST DOESNT LOOK RIGHT.
  • zoomandyzoomzoomandyzoom Member Posts: 19
    If the badges are the stick-on type, take some dental floss and slide it behind the badge and work it down until the badge comes off (this may leave some glue on the paint). To get the glue off, I've used Goof Off. If you use it sparingly, and rinse and polish the area afterward with wax or polishing compound, it should NOT damage your paint. I used it to take the "Grand Prix" badge off the trunk of my '05.
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    I've used a hair dryer to heat it just enough to pull it off with my fingers, and then use rubbing alcohol for the residue.
  • pk48pk48 Member Posts: 1
    HI. I AM WORKING ON MY KID'S GP. IT JUST QUIT. WHEN RESTARTING, IT RUNS FOR A FEW SECONDS AND QUITS. I WOULD THINK THAT THE FUEL PUMP IS SHUTTING DOWN. FUEL FILTER CHANGED, CRANK POSIT SENSOR REPLACED, NO AVAIL. WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND AND ALLDATA.COM DOESN'T HELP WITH IS THAT IF I KEEP REVVING THE ENGINE, IT WILL KEEP RUNNING. I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO A SCAN TOOL (I THOUGHT I COULD STILL DO IT WITH THE PAPER CLIP BUT CAN'T). I WAS GOING TO CHECK FUEL PRESSURE BUT MY SHRADER VALVE RELEASE ON MY GUAGE IS BROKE (IS ANYTHING GOING TO GO RIGHT?). THE ACCELERATOR PUMP ACTION MAKES ME THINK THAT THE FUEL PUMP IS WORKING, THAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH INJECTOR CONTROLLERS BUT OBVIOUSLY I DON'T KNOW. SIX PACK OF BUD LIGHT TO WHOEVER KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON. MY REPUTATION IS ON THE LINE. THANKS
  • adam270adam270 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 1999 Grand Prix with 170,000 miles with a 3.8(no supercharger) The problem is when Im cruising around 55mph and then slowly accelarate it chuggs or maybe missing. I replaced plugs last year. I just replaced wires and coils today. The first few miles it felt great real responsive, then about 20 miles later it started misssing again. Its real noticable at takeoffs too unless I floor it. Any help would be appreciated
  • craig32craig32 Member Posts: 30
    The book simply says "unfasten the housing hooks, and pull the housing back", but there's barely 1 inch of movement (& the stock filter's about 1 1/2" by itself.

Is there a trick to changing it??? :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • chriscafepresschriscafepress Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys...got a quick question...

I have an 05 GP. Everything is great except for one thing.

At 1000 RPM I can hear a vibration from what appears to be right in front of the glovebox. Does anybody know what this could be?

It only happens when holding steady at 1000 RPM?

Thanks in advance!
  • foxyroxy1foxyroxy1 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to know if someone could tell me where to fill the power steering in a 2005 grand prix I can't find it and don't have manual.
  • mawilliz1mawilliz1 Member Posts: 7
    I had the same problem and it was the catalytic converter backing up the exhaust, preventing the engine from running properly. Its actually a very common problem with GP's. Have you had it changed yet?
  • mawilliz1mawilliz1 Member Posts: 7
    pull back a little harder and swing the whole thing up (tube and square part).
  • gearrgearr Member Posts: 21
    It is hard to find
    it is on the left side (pass. side) back by the fire wall down at the bottem you will need a long neck funel
    Gearr
  • gearrgearr Member Posts: 21
    office max has this stuff called undo and it works great and will not harm the paint
    Gearr
  • mvautawmvautaw Member Posts: 1
    adam270, the same thing happened to our 2004 3.8 GP w/ 40,000 miles. we had to replace the transmission. its might be worth getting a new car.
  • matt9404matt9404 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GP, and I wasn't sure when I should get the timing belt checked out. I've heard different mileages like 80,000 and 100,000 and although my mileage isn't too high yet, I know that if it fails, it can do significant damage to other components in the engine.

Does anyone have any information or recommendations about if and when to check/replace the timing belt?
    Thanks.
  • autoparts82autoparts82 Member Posts: 1
    I like to use a product called Goo Be Gone it can be purchased at most parts store or places like walmart.
  • oldirty_rabbitoldirty_rabbit Member Posts: 7
    it'll come believe me. It is a real B%$#@ but it opens enough to get the filter out. If you want to make it simple for yourself you can loosen the clamp and push back the hose from the plastic so that you can remove the back completely. That would make it easier but No there is no trick just a tight fit. Hope that helps.
  • oldirty_rabbitoldirty_rabbit Member Posts: 7
    I have used Mobile 1 synthetic oil and oil filter in all my vehicles and it is, in my opinion, the best oil you can buy. Synthetic oil is engineered so that it doesn't break down like traditional motor oil. So it gives you greater protection for a longer time. The time between changes is where the biggest advantage lies when using synthetic oil. However, I like to keep the time bout the same anyway. Never can be to safe when dealing with your transportation.