Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• meg2good4umeg2good4u Member Posts: 2
    Figured it out. Trunk wasn't fully latched, but it didn't register on the dic.
  • madmex2kmadmex2k Member Posts: 2
    My high beams work fine, just the low beams are out, anyone have this issue? the fuses for the lowbeams are ok, so are the high beams. they both have 2 fuses, left and right lamps.Is there a different one or a micros relay or something?
  • anttriceanttrice Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my lowbeams, what did you do to fix yours?
  • madmex2kmadmex2k Member Posts: 2
    well, I took it to the local auto parts stores, that was like talking to a McDonald's drive thru person, then I talked to a mechanic who also offered no good results, so I eventually talked to the local Pontiac dealer. We removed the fuses for the low-beams and swapped it for another fuse of the same amps...did not fix it either. THen the next day, they started working miraculously. So I really don't know what fixed them, they just work now. I fully expect them to go off every time I drive at night.
    I suggest swapping fuses out. See if it helps. No real clue here.
  • smv1smv1 Member Posts: 14
    Well ' I will presume that you have daylight running light's; therefore if it is not a fuse as you indicated then, it has to do with the module that controls your daylight running lights. The dealer's part's or service department may have a trouble shooting sheet / guide that will have you use a 12 volt test light to find your problem area. Or if this dealer can not help then go to the library and look in the automotive section for a Mitchell Repair Manual and go to the Electrical section.... this will guide you... best of luck and hope that this helped.... Sergio.
  • awickam04awickam04 Member Posts: 2
    It is caused by a short in the fuse box. My mechanic had to bypass the fuse box to get the lights to work, or I had the option of replacing the fuse box for $400.
  • sewalterssewalters Member Posts: 1
    This problem started last weekend. When I turn off my 2006 grand prix the lights stay on and the message center displays "parking lights on" i also found out the other day that when I put the key into the Accessory position the lights come on also. Message center displays same thing. The lights will eventually go off, after 5 mins or so. Any ideas.

thank you this is my first post.
  • jmuchrisfjmuchrisf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Prix sedan, and the EXACT thing has been happening to me for a few months now, every now and then, and usualy a few times in a row when it does happen. Have you figured anything out yet>

EDIT: This being the entire electrical system shuts off.
  • jlgibbon1jlgibbon1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 grand prix and mine just started doing that! My service engine light and abs doesn't flash but my message center and fan for my heater/ac will shut off.

I was wondering if you have figured out what makes it do that? It's completly got my mechanic stumped as well!

Thanks
  • crombiecrombie Member Posts: 1
    I have started looking on the internet for possible solutions to my problem due to being a broke college student.

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8L V6 with 97,500 miles on it. Recently my DIC (driver information center) decides to go out. When this happens my headlights flash on and off and my heater quits blowing heat. The lights on the heater still display, but flicker.

I have been reading a lot about the ignition switch and wire harness causing this problem. I am ready to buy the part, the only problem is my father which is my mechanic does not believe that the ignition switch can cause these kinds of problems.

Please help me should I buy the part and replace it???????
  • srabysraby Member Posts: 6
    Crazy as it seems, it fixed my problems. I changed a number of parts, lesser expensive before settling on this solution. My 2002 GP (3.8L V6 190,000) exhibited similar problem to what you are describing... I would apply the brake and the headlights would flash similar to a blinker indicator being on. I also noticed that when turning the heater blower on, at times the fan would work, other times not. It's not an inexpensive part, I think I paid $127 for it, but as I said, it fixed the problem. Good luck. Stan
  • misslauramisslaura Member Posts: 1
    Please Help..Here is my situation:

My car is a 1994 grand prix- 237 000km. I recently had my alternator and serp belt replaced (used alternator). Since then, I have had lights on my dash randomly going on and off. The most frequent is the airbag light. As this occurs, the heat seems to accelerate for a second, along with the headlights and dashlights at night time. Other flickering lights include: ABS and battery light.

I have taken it to 2 garages to do a charge test, and the reports have both been that the alternator and battery are charging just fine.

I am feeling stumped! Is my car at risk of breaking down on me at the side of the road? What could be the next step? Is it time to junk it? Thank you!
  • wratchetjawwratchetjaw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Grand Prix V6 that has a 4 amp battery drain with the engine is off. I have narrowed the problem down to the "Main Batt 1" fuse. Also the head lights have stayed on from time to time. Does anyone know what "Main Batt 1" is connected to or possible trouble shoots or solutions? I'm guessing a possible ignition switch or celenoid problem.

Thank you
  • 03granprix3003granprix30 Member Posts: 1
    When i get into my car at night, i get in and everything is fine as far as dash lights goes. then about 15 to 30 sec later, the RPM guage and the Fuel Guage lights go dim to where i can barely see them. The other lights are just fine. I thought it may be a bad fuse, but if that was the case, all of the lights would go off. Wondering if anyone has had this issue. its as if half of my dash lights (rpm guage and fuel gauge) bulb goes out for some reason, or seems as if there is a short on that part. cuz all of the other lights are working fine. PLEASE HELP! this is SOOO anoying! :mad:
  • ileldo86ileldo86 Member Posts: 1
    I had a intermitent on my '01 GTP which I finally traced down to a bad contact in the ignition switch. I would lose the headlights (under DRL mode), driver info. center DIC, Rear Window Defogger, Air Temp Actuator Left and Right, Driver Heated Seat and HVAC Control. Problem was carbonized contacts on the ignition switch. Replaced with Ignition Switch AC Delco#D1419D and solved problems.
  • ebner20ebner20 Member Posts: 1
    After doing hours of research trying to find my specific problem I have decided to try and explain it as best as I could at a forum where it seemed people knew what they were talking about (This forum obviously :)) Hopefully someone can save me money because I'm trying to avoid taking her to a mechanic.

Its a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1l
    176,000 Miles
    Spark plugs and wires changed 9-1-10
    Oil changed every 3000 as well as any typical maitenance that is required. basically I babied this POS..lol.
    Belt was changed at the same time as the plugs.
    Transmission flused 8-1-10

My issue is this-

When my car is on, I go to turn my a/c on and the headlights shut off as well as the a/c. The a/c comes on for a split second and then bam, both running lights and a/c shut off.

I only noticed the headlight part of this problem a week ago when I was driving home in 95 degree weather at dusk and almost hit some dude in front of me because I had turned my a/c on which stayed on for about ten minutes before shutting off as well as the headlights. I realized that I could turn my headlights to "on" and they would work. On Auto they do not. They break lights go out as well.

If I turn the A/C on BEFORE I start my car, it works. But only on the lowest setting. If I try to turn the A/C up the A/C shuts done with the headlights.

Am I making any sense so far?

I currently have a Service Engine Soon light. Which stays on for a day or so than shuts off. I'm pretty sure that means something with the emission system. Gas cap was changed as well as the fuel filter, no dice.

The dash also is displaying an outline of a car, do not know what that means. :)

When I start the car and idle, I can fill it shake very softly. Almost like its going left to right. I changed the serp belt and it stopped...for a day.

I really do not want to drop more money into this car. Its just a daily driver that collects the miles so my beamer doesn't.

Thanks for your time people! I hope I made sense explaining my problem.
  • mkillinger66mkillinger66 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem did you get an answer?
  • uplade3uplade3 Member Posts: 1
    What color is the accessory wire that controls the radio in the ignition harness? I know that it isnt orange because that is the A/C. Im trying to make a switch that turns the accessories on without the key in the ignition in a 2001 model. Any help is appreciated.
  • sherriadamsherriadam Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my name is Ivan and I had the problem of my 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L brake lights not working. I had no idea what to do. I finally came across this website and found out how to fix them. Thank You very much.
  • mtdzwillmtdzwill Member Posts: 6
    The lights on the heated seats buttons and driver side temperature controls are out. Are they seperate bulbs? Where are they and how do you get to them?
  • thedon9thedon9 Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced the same problem, but I don't think there are bulbs that are replaceable. I believe you have to replace the complete HVAC head, because the bulbs are soldered to the electrical board in the head. If I'm wrong someone let me know, cause I hate to replace the entire head for this problem. Thanks! Don
  • lgwynnlgwynn Member Posts: 1
    Hi every one,I,m new to the forum and really could use some advice on my wifes car,it all started when her a/c quit blowing then she noticed her driving lights went out, when the cold hit she noticed she had no heater and the rear window defroster don,t work,one day she noticed the driving lights was on again so she turned on the heater switch to see if it would work,by doing this the driving lights went out again,I dont know where to start,does this sound like an ignition switch,or a bad ground? maybe some weird relay switch?Help any advise is extreamly appreiciated,again thanks for any input to this weird problem.
  • ra_scara_sca Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on my '06. Drove to my friends house during the day. Left to go home at night, no lo beam lights. My hi beams worked fine. Checked the bulbs about two weeks later, blown lights. Hopefully this helps with you Grand Prix owners. Check the simple stuff first, eh.
  • ra_scara_sca Member Posts: 2
    My radio stopped working along with my cruise control. Are those two related electrically.
  • tombert3tombert3 Member Posts: 1
    SOLVED: Take the plastic dash bezel off. Remove the instrument panel with two screws in the top left & right. Remove two wiring harnesses and note orientation. Unscrew the PRND123 circuit board using a Torx bit, and remove from ribbon cable. Now look for a burn mark in the trace to two of the ILL (illumination) lamps. I soldered a leader wire around the burn to complete the circuit. While it's apart, replace the ILL lamps - $4 each from NAPA. http://www.flickr.com/photos/60541049@N04/5521239573/
  • lowfat46lowfat46 Member Posts: 1
    2008 Grand Prix with the key in the Acc. position and listening to the radio then turning to start (and some times while driving) we hear a static sound in the speakers and the information center resets to Jan. 1 2000. The dealer has changed the radio 3 times, saying the radio is the problem. That makes 4 radios counting the original. I don't think the radio is the problem. Has any body else had a similar problem?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lowfat46,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. Could you please email me your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and telephone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership? Also, please include a brief description of the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    2006 GPGT is on it's 4th battery at 57,362 miles. No malfunctions noted on information panel, no red lights, just dead..Purchased car used from local Caddy dealer w/4300 miles on 6/30/2007..Original battery was replaced @75 miles, and I had that battery replaced at Darby Buick around 30k, and now it is gone..Car is driven about 40 miles daily, garaged, and not abused..

Having owned 53 cars in my lifetime, this car is a pain..My 1998 Olds Intrigue which GM repurchased at 26k miles was less of a problem..My 2002 Intrigue original battery died around 100k..The hot Florida weather takes it's toll.

Update, car started, charging at 15 volts..had to reset the year, month and date..It sounded a little wimpy on the cranking cycle, so something on the charging side is probably amiss..

Darby Buick in Venice, Fla was my dealer until they gave me a "freebie alignment check", installed 4 new Hankook and the rears flat spotted within 6000 miles, and I junked the tires. Installed 4 new T-rated Michelin Harmony tires and had the local Chevy dealer realign the car, of course the rear struts had to be reslotted.. The Buick dealer would not take the responsibility for the "phony alignment" causing the rear tires to "flat spot"..so they are on my list of dealers to avoid.. They also do "Road Force Balancing" which requires skill and their lack of skill in conjunction with the alignment fiasco cost me a few hundred bucks..

The Grand Prix GT comes with H-rated tires due to the 135+ top end, however the Harmony tires inflated to 36# cold handle the high end and last alot longer..50k+ miles...

When the 2nd battery failed, I was at a cemetery on a late Sunday afternoon and GM road service did the scene, and I was able to drop the car off at the dealer Sunday evening..Left instructions and Darby service mgr wanted $300 for the battery when I arrived to pick up the car..Not a chance of getting any money out of me for it was totally covered by warranty..When the 2002 Olds Intrigue battery died, AAA picked the car up and took it to Palm Chev in Ocala on a Saturday morn and I picked it up couple hrs later with a new GM battery installed for less than $200..

I think the Pontiac is up for disposal if a quick solution isn't found for dead batteries, ain't worth the grief..Sold my 2010 Mustang GT last week for I want the new 5.0 Stang Conv w/track pkg..About 60% of cars owned have been GM, however, times are changing..Electrical problems are best left to the next owner to solve..for it is usually a series of check writing paying for another "bad call"..
    Darby Buick installed the last 2 batteries both with 7 yr Warranties, however the previous battery installed @21,500 miles was free, so I paid for the 7yr deal this time, today..The upside is the next battery is "free"..The outgoing 7yr battery lasted 34 mos..GM's quality shines again..

The heat in Florida is a killer, and most of my driving in retirement is not freeway speeds, but local stop & go..with the average around 40 miles daily..

All electrical systems are good, no problems, a/c is great, and the supercharged 260 hp V-6 likes to rock and on I-75..It gets the triple digit speedo test every available opportunity, so we shall keep this car for a few more thousand miles..The truck holds 4 golf bags whereas the Mustang truck is not that roomy, but offers positive vibs in the driving area..Nothing beats a V-8 upfront and RWD, the rumble is pleasing to the ears..

Heads up all you Grand Prix fans, don't spend alot of money chasing problems on old cars, sell it and update your ride for driving pleasure and piece of mind..Compared to the great Pontiacs of yore, the W-body version is a joke..I had 3 GPs of the mid-70's era with big-block V-8s, and they were movers..The old 3.8 engine doesn't compare..The S/C 3.8 is okay and comes alive at the higher end...

Good luck on the finding the cure....................
    motorcity6,
    I understand and apologize for your frustration. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has the dealer involved technical assistance? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks for the reply, and I don't think the dealer has involved any GM technical assistance..The car is out of warranty, so any interest by the dealer to get GM involved is not worth the dealer's time..This dealer was a Pontiac outlet prior to GM shakeup, however the volume of Pontiacs sold in this area seems to have been quite small..

I use a small 2-man shop started by ex-GM mechanics who are well versed and the main owner was employed by this GM dealer..This small shop is a "Tire Rack" installer and an expert on balancing which is one of my hangups to fun motoring..I strive for "shake-free" driving for having spent years in fast lane, I will not tolerate vibration..

Next Friday I have an appt for oil change and tire rotation at this small shop along with checking out the battery cables at the starter for corrosion..Also there is some creaking in the front end under initial acceleration which is part of the platform eng/tran setup common to the W body, a cheap alternate to regular eng/tran mounting systems..

At 57k miles, I am still on the original brakes with no signs of warped rotors, and this small shop is great on brake repair, had a Camry done here, and a Jeep Cherokee in the last year..The biggest cause of rotor problems is the over tighting of lug nuts..
    The 6-way seat in the 06 GPGT is now 2-way...and my 16 yr old grandson's 99 GPGT coupe is on the fritz with a bad tranny, shift between 1st and 2nd is rough..mileage is around 110k..I told my son inlaw not to buy the car, but he knows all and now he can pay to get the junker fixed..

My seat problem in the 06 GT is no big problem, just a another sign of lack of quality...
    I assume that GM customer service can give us the vin #s of those affected cars, or a website where we can research..
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Not sure this one affects a specific VIN range - I usually see that info if it's available. Here's the info on that recall:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/recalls.html?year=2006&make=&model=&style- Id=100543801&engCode=6VSCG3.8&transCode=AUTOMATIC&mileage=68000&zip=64075&type=r- ecall

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

motorcity6,

I can check for recalls with the VIN, but I am not aware of a list of those affected, nor do I know of a public website where you can get this information. If you would like for me to check if your vehicle has a recall, just email me your VIN.

Thank you,
    I did on 6/1/11..Thanks for the help...................!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the help, and I emailed GM with the Vin#...The knuckle was manufactured by Dorman and only appears on less than a 1000 cars..

Had a steering knuckle replaced on a 2002 Olds Intrigue at around 100k..original owner..Chevy dealer spotted the problem. No loss of control or frt shake..
  • sndiehnsndiehn Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my driver side steering knucke... Could I email you my vin# to find out if my vehicle is included in this recall??
    sndiehn,

I would be happy to see if your vehicle has a recall. Please email me your VIN.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • rickpowellrickpowell Member Posts: 4
    Pontiac Grand Am 2004 just started a strange electrical problem. Car was working, running fine. I turned it off, got out, locked car with remote twice and heard muffled horn verfication. Went shopping. When returned I unlocked with remote just fine. When starting ignition, dash LIT UP like I have not quite seen before, and finally settled with what caught my attention: the High Beam indicator was on and Both Turn Signal arrows were solidly on (not blinking). No headlights or front parking lights would work. No fog lights work. No Turn Signals working. Hazard lights will not work with car started, but work when car is off. Horn no longer works. However, rear lights and brake lights are fine. Most other electrical seems fine at first glance, but it was dark and lightly raining and by myself I did not have time to go over and test every electrical item. Pulled out owner manual (I have only had this previously owned car for about 2 months, and it has been a real jewel until now) and read up on the fuses/relays. Checked fuse box under hood, made sure all fuses/relays were seated ok, checked a couple fuses (like Horn) which were ok. Opened passenger/glove box fuse panel and seated all of those. Did not check but a few "relevant" fuses and they seemed ok. I am just guessing, but maybe RELAY (or 2) blew? Or the remote locking twice blew something. Possibly turn signal arm and cluster went? Although, even separate headlight/parking light/ fog light switches do nothing.

After reading through the helpful info in this forum, this morning I am thinking of pulling the battery connectors and shorting them together for 5 minutes to drain all capacitors, and reconnect to reboot the system. What can it harm?

Also, not sure this is relevant, but when I popped the hood LOTS of metal parts were HOT. Almost could not touch some of them, although the outside temp was around 65 and the car had been sitting off for about a half hour (after sitting in slow rush hour traffic for more than an hour). I left the hood up for a while and things cooled down, but when I tried to start again, same dash indicator lights came on (Both solid Turn Signals and High Beam). Very strange condition that I have not seen in my 40+ years of driving many makes of cars.

I am open to all suggestions, and where to check (like certain relays, etc.) so please respond with your ideas. If my planned electrical reboot fails, I will try to examine all fuses in the day light. Again, I am thinking multiple relays, etc. may have all blown at the same time, since this is such an unusual combination of symptoms. Thanks in advance for your advice. Rick
  • noreen99noreen99 Member Posts: 2
  • noreen99noreen99 Member Posts: 2
    1st tire pressure than charging sys failure, theb abs than traction, security systems warning lights all flashing. next my lights on radio went out my windows stopped working( all while on 4 lane hwy at 70) tried to signal to get off hwy, nothing, transmission started failing. was able to limp to service rd. car died out then mirror lights and back door lights started blinking. dashboard was hissing anyone ever heard of this? one thing mayby two but all?
  • joerictherjoericther Member Posts: 2
    Hi Rick Powell, I just encountered the SAME exact thing as your vehicle, I noticed yours started malfunctioning 6 months ago. Have you gotten it fixed yet? If you have, What was the problem? I cant figure out for the life of me.

Thank you
  • joerictherjoericther Member Posts: 2
    Hi Rick Powell, I just encountered the SAME exact thing as your vehicle, I noticed yours started malfunctioning 6 months ago. Have you gotten it fixed yet? If you have, What was the problem? I cant figure out for the life of me.

Thank you
  • 2collies2collies Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 Grand Prix with 115K on it. A week ago at about 6 in the morning my headlights went out after driving for about 45 minutes. The parking lights, rear lights, dash lights all worked just fine, no headlights though. I turned the lights from auto to manual and still nothing. I had to drive with the brights on the rest of the way. I replaced the bulbs but while doing so noticed the old ones were on. I put the new ones in since the old ones were 6 years old anyways. Fine for two weeks, last night around 11 the same exact thing and I had to drive 30 miles with the brights on (much to everyones delight).
    Any ideas where to start looking for this wonderful intermittent problem?
    Thank you,
    Mike
  • mshank1mshank1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Grand Prix. My headlights stopped working last year and I replaced the relay. They have now been not turning on at random times when I start the car. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. There does not seem to be a pattern to when they will not turn on. I took it to Auto Zone and they put in a new relay and said that wasn't it. I called the dealership and they said it was probably the switch, because they sometimes turn off when I turn on my turn signal. I bought the switch and replaced it myself. That wasn't it. Does anyone have ideas on why this is happening?
  • aarjanaarjan Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    I have a 1999 Grand Prix that has the same issue that your 2001 had.

My message center and heater display will flash or go black and the fan for my heater/ac will shut off or blow in the wrong area (blows at feet when should be on defrost. Both displays display incorrect information as well?

Did you ever find out what the problem was?
    Finally could not figure it out on my own so took it to GM dealer and they determined the problem was a bad ground connection under the hood somewhere.
    Reply to 202 - GM dealer determined my crazy dash light problem was due to a bad ground connection somewhere under the hood.
    Reply to 206 - I don't know if your problem was exactly like mine, however my GM dealer determined the crazy dash lights problem was due to a bad ground connection somewhere under the hood. Good luck.