Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Elantra First Impressions

Comments

• mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I can tell you that my 07 SE auto with 1500 miles is getting better mileage than my 01 GLS 5-speed with 72000 miles. I use to fill up at about 300 miles and now I fill up at about 350 miles.
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Thats good to know mike91326. What color and seat fabric
    do you have with your SE? I decided to go with the safe color
    or silver, hides dust and light scratches nicely, I think.
    Im very impressed with how the SE handles. It truely does
    feel like a mid size sedan ride. Its just a very comfortable
    feeling ride.
    When I first pulled out of the dealer with the car last Friday, I noticed the ride was a bit soft. I checked the
    tire pressure and they were all at around 28PSI. I than
    inflated them all to 33PSI and the ride is perfect! Now I
    will order my ungraded berber car mats from Quality Car
    Mats.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If you drove around much with the tires at 28 vs. 33 psi, that will have a significant impact on FE also--you should pick up 1-2 mpg at the higher pressures.
    I got the SE in Seattle blue with black interior. This is my fourth Hyundai. When I got my 01 GLS I needed an inexpensive car that was good on gas. I was so impressed with the car that I bought a 03 Sonata LX for my wife. We are now shipping the Sonata to Orlando Florida for my daughter so my wife got a 07 Azera Limited with the ultimate package.

In my opinion, the only thing the 07 and 01 have in common (other than the engine and trans) is the name. I test drove the Corolla (did not like the seating position) and the Civic (was not happy with the dash). After the test drives I came back to the Elantra.

I have owned a lot of cars over the years and the Hyundai’s have been the most trouble free that I have ever had.
    You sound a lot like me! I got a '01 Elantra also, no so much because it was inexpensive (although it was) but because I liked it better than any other small car available at the time, plus it was about $6000 less than my 2nd choice, the Civic EX. I liked it so much I got a '04 GT 5-door for my wife. But she wanted a minivan again, so now I'm driving the GT. And my oldest sister is driving my '01 GLS. I'm quite impressed by the '07 Elantra, and if it scores well in the IIHS side crash test it will be at or near the top of my list for my next new car.
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    when the car is rated at 28, you get just 3 less (on an engine with less than 1000 miles) and that disappoints you?
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Yeah, im disappointed, but its not the end of the world...
    life goes on.
  • slip7slip7 Member Posts: 7
    I have a little over 1100 miles on my 5 speed manual 07 SE. I have one in the beautiful black pearl color with tan interior. Looks very sharp. I have a 76 mile round trip commute to work with half of it on the interstate. My last fill up yielded about 29 miles to the gallon. The trip computer seems to be very accurate. On this recent tank so far, about 100 miles, I am averaging 30 miles to the gallon. The only problem so far is the Aux jack for an MP3 player. The left channel cuts out. This weekend I am putting on some side molding on the doors to prevent dings. I am also am going to order the bra just as soon as they are available.
    i was having a problem with my aux jack (alot of static with a normal aux cable). a couple weeks ago, hyundai sent me a aux cable with a shield on it to prevent this. i had not called hyundai, or taken the car to service about it. it must be something that they have been seeing, or getting calls about. you might try calling hyundai customer service about it.
  • ginns5ginns5 Member Posts: 16
    It took ten minutes for my mechanic to program the automatic door locks.They lock at about 12 mp h.When the car is in park, and engine off, key out of ignition, the locks pop open nice as you please.The key fob has 4 buttons on it.Door lock and unlock, trunk unlock which has to be held a second or so to work on the bottom (on the front)and PANIC on the back.My alarm is not activated and my mechanic was going to school today!and will find out why it is not working.
    Thank you very much for the info on the door locks. I plan to have it programed when I take it in for its first free oil change. Let me know what you find out about the alarm as mine also is not active.
  • ginns5ginns5 Member Posts: 16
    Mike91326 - Your alam is active!I took the car back and they checked it.If you set it by clicking twice, horn blow , lights flash from the clicker, it will set.Then if a door or window is jimmied, or hood pried open, alarm will go off.Thee is much involved in this alarm.Hyundai has done a very poor job in their manual fully explaining it, and , worse, the dealers know even less.
    You're right. One click, no alarm. Two clicks and the alarm is active. Strange system.
  • softhandsofthand Member Posts: 1
    Which button are you clicking to activate the alarm?
    Any ideas how I (the owner) can program the auto door locking?
    You need to click the top (lock) button on your key fob twice. Your horn will honk on the second click.

You need to take your car to the dealer to have the auto door locks programed.
  • sportscoupesportscoupe Member Posts: 8
    Was in the market for a compact car. Compared the Elantra Limitted with the Sentra SL, Honda Civic EX and Toyota Corolla LE. Not even close. No other one offered the features of the Limitted like heated seats, heated mirrors (not sure about the Toyota) etc. and the value. But most of all I went with the Elantra as far as the way it drove and the good looks. I put 125 miles on it the first day and am looking forward to many years of happy usage. . By the way I was suprised at the amount of interior room and the size of the trunk. It doesn't feel like a small car at all. I know I may be biased because I bought the car but I think it has the others beat. I have been monitoring this forum for a couple of weeks and I would like to thank everyone for being so informative and helping me in making my decision.
  • iggie45iggie45 Member Posts: 6
    Does the Elantra Limited have an outside temp gauge and automatic air as options?
    No outside temp gauge or auto air but I thought living in the northeast heated seats and mirrors were more important (Honda Civic and Nissan Sentra don't offer these.). It does have a trip computer though along with many other features.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    odd. i figured it would, it has a lot of other stuff.
    Didn't realize that so many people who bad mouthed the civic for its lack of a trip computer where sportin a ride that couldn't tell them how hot or cold it is. :blush:
    Some of us haven't yet reached the point where it's important for our cars to tell us how hot or cold it is. But it's a little harder to figure out on our own that the car is getting an average of 28.5 mpg over the last 50 miles, at an average speed of 61.3 mph. ;)
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Neither is really very important when you get right down to it, right?
    Not critical, no, but I have to admit I really have gotten to like the mpg computers that I've had on a few of my cars. Not having one would not keep me from buying a car, but I do like them. For example, the other day I drove a new Lancer and Elantra over exactly the same course, back-to-back, and the cars' trip computers gave me an idea of their relative fuel economy. That would have been impossible for me to determine w/o the trip computers, since I was only test-driving the cars.

I have never seen the need for an outside temperature gauge on a car. If I must know the outside air temperature, I know a radio station that gives me detailed weather and traffic info six times an hour, at regular intervals. Or I look at the weather online before I go out.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I thought the same thing about the outside temperature qauge on the car-unnessary. Now that I have it, it does come in handy especially when I am listening to the country music station on XM. but like alot of other unnessary things they do turn out to be a good thing. I know xm does have a all-weather station but this way is easier. while i was having my elantra serviced at the hyundai dealer I looked around their lot. I was amazed that most of the elantras they had were manual transmission. would never buy a car from them-with all their add-on fees.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just curious, have you ever compared the results from the mpg computers you've had to manual calculations? The reason I ask is that I routinely see reports from car owners across the board who have done so and get lower results than the computer. I don't believe I've ever seen a report where the results were very close to the same or better than the computer, come to think of it.

Personally, I don't usually need to have things that exact, a rough idea of the mileage I'm getting is good enough for me. A mileage computer would be fine with me and I doubt I'd ever worry about how it compared to manual calculations, at least not more than once!

Regarding an outside temperature gauge, I agree it's unnecessary. I also like it a lot and wouldn't want to not have one. ;)
    maybe we are one of the lucky ones but the computer mpg's are the same as when we figure them out manually 99% of the time. the other .001 the are extremely close-nothing to complain about tho.
    Interesting - maybe I don't see posts of this nature for the simple reason no complaint is involved. :P

Thanks for your input.
    I've found the trip computers on the two cars I've owned that had them--a '99 Grand Caravan and my '04 Elantra GT--to be quite accurate, within 1 mpg or less of mpg calculated at the pump. And I wonder if that difference is more due to the inherent inaccuracies of calculating mpg at the pump, e.g. temperature differences and pump pressure differences (which make it difficult to get the same fill level at different pumps/stations).
    Does anyone know if there is a nice after market outside temp gauge that can be added to the Elantra or any other car? I know that you can buy one for the home that gives you both the inside and outside temperature.
    There are a number of self-dimming rear view mirrors with integrated temperature displays available on the web. There may be thermometers only, but not sure where you'd tack it on--and it might look "tacked on" vs. integrated.
    my 07 elantra with the mpg computer is within 1 mpg of the manual calculation (usually the manual calc. is the lower of the 2)
    i think both are unneccessary, but i know which one i prefer. I like figuring out my mileage, how fast i need to be going to get it is even less useless than the two things that my post is titled with. But a temp guage is a lot nicer for me; not checking stations or waiting for a digital sign to come up on the free way. There it is on the dash plain and simple.

A trip computer would sill lead me to calculating my own mileage, even if its just one off, so its like an unneccessary step; most people wouldn't look at their temp guage on their car and then tune into a station to hear it again, but A LOT of people will look at their trip computer and then re-figure it out all over again anyway. It seems like to much of a hassle for something that can range from slightly off, to very inaccurate.
    Consider that measuring your own fuel economy at the pump doesn't tell you everything you might want to know. For example, suppose you want to know what the fuel economy of the car is when cruising on the highway? With a trip computer, that is very easy to measure. Much harder to measure accurately at the pump, because some of the miles won't be freeway cruising, and you will probably have to use two different stations with the inherent differences in pumps. So you will not get an accurate measure that way.

Since we are on the subject, I haven't found car thermometers to be very accurate.
    Since we are on the subject, I haven't found car thermometers to be very accurate.

Same goes for trip computers. I hear more complaints about that than about thermometers.

I drive mostly freeway anyway; what i'm getting driving JUST on the freeway seems a little nit picky and imo nerdy, even for somone who is into fuel economy. :blush:
    Here we go, degenerating into name-calling rather than sticking to the subject...

Maybe you think it's "nerdy", but I see questions all the time on Town Hall re "what mpg does Car X get when cruising on the highway?"

You probably see more complaints about trip computers because people care more about trip computers than about thermometers. I don't need some device to tell me how cold or hot it is--I can feel it. But I don't have a built-in mpg meter, so I find those useful. And kind of fun. Maybe that's "nerdy" too. I don't care.
    both actually unneccessary but since I have them I find them useful and both are extremely accurate. They both are great on trips to different areas. Other unnessary stuff: automatic windows, automatic transmission, power steering, brakes, sunroof, radio, cruise control, anything larger than a 4 cylinder engine, a/c, auto-dimmer rear-view mirrors, fog lights, and alot more. They are great things to have tho-but unneccessary.
    Brakes are uneccesary? :blush:
    I am sticking to the subject. I never called anyone nerdy. I said the act of being so picky about 'x car getting x milage when you drive it in an x way', nerdy.

We are still entitled to opinions right? Even if someone else dislikes them?
    Yes, we are still entitled to opinions. My opinion is that we should be talking about the car and not each other. And my opinion is bigger than yours. ;)
    POWER BRAKES BUT IF YOU WANT THE FLINTSTONE CAR NO. I love having the trip computer in my elantra-something the civic did not have or offer.Then again there are things I like in the civic. the way it shifted, the locking gas and trunk inside the car. I do not see very many new elantras so I am still used to the old style. When I did look at them I was impressed with all it did have inside. I was hoping they would get a 4-door 6-speed. Maybe, someone in hyundai land is reading this forum and will take my hint.
  • priv8warriorpriv8warrior Member Posts: 13
    We just purchased a 2007 Elantra SE manual.
    After looking at practically every other small car, and test driving several, we choose the Elantra. It was not because it is the best car in any one area, but the sheer balance of performance, economy, safety, comfort and features. I have not driven a small car that is as quiet, including the Civic or Corolla. It seems like Hyundai has done their homework.
    Congrats - enjoy and keep us posted! :)
  • edowadoedowado Member Posts: 10
    $16500 out the door including tax, license, and registration for a brand new, fully-equipped 2007 Elantra Limited w/ Sun & Sound Package.

Logged miles: 0 to test drive; still sitting on dealer lot awaiting our pickup from dealer trade.

Initial impressions:
    - great looking exterior, except for the fixed AM/FM radio antennae (built into window on XM equipped models).
    - colors wanted like seattle blue are very hard to find. settled for the second choice, only laguna sand color in LA and Orange County, CA. dealer traded.
    - like all the interior ammenities from lighted mirrirs to heated seats to sunglass/dash holders.
    - no XM standard as advertised. but available on *later models. boo.
    - did notice the ripple effect on the new leather on a car with 32 miles on it.
    - smooth, a little sluggish as expected acceleration compared to my 2003 Sonata LX V6 (161hp), yet quiet for a i4 compared to my sis' 2003 Corolla Sport.
    - inquired with two local Hyundai service managers about speedometer/odometer issue (see Elantra threads) and they have heard no such reports. will personally observe and see.
    - thought this was a new engine, but it seems now it's just the same engine from earlier 2006 model.
    FWIW, the 2007 Elantra uses the Beta engine from the previous generation, but with many tweaks for improved fuel economy and emissions. You may have noticed the 2007 is rated 4 mpg more than the '06, and the '07 is available as a PZEV--is that what you got, since you are in CA?

I see rippled leather on a lot of high-end luxury cars. The leather in my '04 Elantra is very tight and smooth-fitting, but Hyundai got knocked on that sometimes ("it's leather, but it looks like vinyl") so maybe that's why they went with the looser leather for '07.

Keep us updated on how it goes. Seattle Blue is my favorite also, with the beige (cloth) interior. I'll bet it looks really sharp with beige leather. :)
  • edowadoedowado Member Posts: 10
    Yes, PZEV in CA.

Good point about the leather. My 03 Sonata's leather is all vinly...

Looks like I'll be sticking with the Laguna Sand color.
    I got my '07 Limited about 3 weeks ago and am pretty happy with it. However, when I go over a rough road service or a series of road bumps I hear something rattling or loose coming from the front driver's side. I brought the car in and they checked and tightened all the suspension bolts but I still hear it. Brought it back and they checked under the dashboard but of course on the way home I still heard the rattle. I am about to bring it back and wonder if someone has any ideas of what to check or possibly has had a similar experience. It sounds like it is coming from either the engine compartment or possibly in the cowl area.
    if the noise is in the glove box then it is from the dampers. the early built 07 elantras dampers were too small, and there is a tsb about it.
    As an update to my front rattle noise I brought my car back and had the service manager take a ride with me. To my amazement it did rattle on some bumps and he heard it. After having several other mechanics test drive and inspect the vehicle, it was determined that the left front strut assembly was defective and they ordered a new assembly. They told me they overnighted the order and hopefully this will solve the problem when it's installed.
  • harlqnharlqn Member Posts: 18
    I bought my Elantra SE in Jan 07 (San Diego area, so it's the PZEV). It has about 3000 miles on it right now.

The MPG calculation actually comes up about 1 MPG short of my calc (based on trip odo). I reset the computer after each refill and use the same gas station. My typical driving is about 40/60 hwy/city, accounting for rush hour traffic and I tend to get 27-29 mpg per tank. I've had a couple 90/10 hwy/city tanks which got me up around 32-33. The mpg has increased about 1-2mpg since it was originally purchased, so I think there is a little something to post-break in improvement.

However, I will have to test my speedometer to see if it has the problem others have reported.

As for the original topic, I couldn't be happier with it. I'm 5'8", yet the Civic still felt cramped to me. I was even considering just living with that and making the plunge. However, after test driving the Elantra, just to "cover the bases", I was wowed. The biggest difference is the interior room. No cramping A-pillar like the Spectra, much better handling than the washy Corolla, and a lot less $$$ than the Civic (the SE's features fall somewhere between the Civic LX and EX). The Mazda3 and Sentra didn't do enough for me in the bang for the buck department, which was actually my biggest buying factor.

I won't list the final price, but I completely recommend the Costco auto buying program. The Elantra's price was under invoice where the Civic would have been even more over invoice (Costco prices are an adjustment to invoice price and the dealer is required to show you their invoice). That was before the $500 factory rebate (the dealer is currently displaying a $2000 rebate on this car). I had enough room left in my budget that I decided to add Lo jack with early warning because I would be up a major creek without a car.

I'll have to check about the alarm and the double button-pressing. The alarm that's installed has a control module near the steering column with 1 button. That button is supposed to be the difference between arming and not arming; while the only difference in pressing the FOB button 1 or 2 times is the horn. The alarm is by Karr.

The road noise level is more than acceptable. Under hard acceleration (which I tend to NOT do), the engine is a bit rough and the shifts are quite jarring. But what engine in this type of car isn't? The last car I spent any time in was a van, so anything would be better as far as handling. However, I would definitely put this car on par with the Civic, with the Civic having a stiffer ride, but not as stiff as the Scion tC. The Elantra's brakes are wonderful. They're a bit grabby when cold, but there is no noticeable fade. If you're not used to a sensitive brake pedal this would be a big adjustment.

I wouldn't try to put more than 4 adults in there (5 may even put you over the car's weight capacity), but those 4 are quite comfy. All of the controls are well-positioned and smooth. There are a couple switches that I wish were back lit on the doors, but otherwise, the console and gauges look great (as long as you don't still wish for the days of dashes without idiot lights).

The front door interiors (near the bottle holder) are a little prone to scuffing, but I'm still trying various methods of taking care of that. I haven't had any problems with a basic mini-to-mini aux audio cable, but Hyundai did send me the one with the huuuge (whatever it is) inline with the cable right out of the blue. I haven't had any seat cloth issues like the other poster, and no wrinkling beyond what you would expect after 3 months of commuter use.

This car is definitely NOT all things to all people. However, if you're looking for a good car in this price/size range, definitely consider the Elantra.
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    This is what I have been looking to read for awhile now since the new 07' elantras have been out for a minute now. Hopefully, the speedo problems are all worked out and any other bugs but I have not heard of too many others. This is why a Chevy man is moving over to Hyundai- this post alone hits the nail right with the hammer. Good heads up about the Costco purchasing program. Thanks Harlqn :).

MrCellus
    The road noise level is more than acceptable. Under hard acceleration (which I tend to NOT do), the engine is a bit rough and the shifts are quite jarring. But what engine in this type of car isn't?

the r18 in the civic. ;)
This discussion has been closed.