Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Dealer Service

rmozolrmozol Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
Today I got my GXP back after they replaced the LF axle boot. It was leaking and splattered grease all over the caliper, strut, inner wheel, and tire. Well, they repaired the boot, but refused to clean the grease off of everything that got dirty from it leaking! Even though the wheel was off the cars for hours, they couldn't wipe it down with a towel and some Naptha! The service manager said, "You can't expect us to detail your car can you?"!!!!! The parts manager wanted him to do something, but the service manager refused. He tried spraying a can of brake cleaner around the inside of the wheel, while mounted, but of course that didn't clean it. After I make a videotape of me doing it, I'll send it in with my service critique!

Comments

• dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    i dont blame you for giving them a bad review! is this a GM dealer that treated you this way? if it were me, i would NEVER deal with that dealer again, and i would be sure to let the owner/manager AND GM know about it!

i could see if it was something you might have caused yourself, but this was obviously a mistake on GM's part, so they should take all the time needed to correct it!

its little things like this that make me realize why GM is in the financial trouble it is in. they need to wake up and realize things like this!

dont get me wrong, i love GM vehicles. in fact, my entire family has owned nothing but GM vehicles. but deep down, i keep telling myself that IF GM gets rid of the Pontiac line, or they go bankrupt, ill have to look elsewhere for my future vehicle brand. I hate the thoughts of that, but i like to be prepared for worse-case senarios. I would NEVER own a foreign made vehicle, so that would extremely limit my choice of car makes, lol.

i actually "test drove" a dodge charger (w/ a HEMI) a few weeks ago (rental car) and i have to say, i think my GXP is MUCH snappier in throttle response. The only thing id give the charger is that the interior is a little bigger than my GXP.

here's hoping that GM finally gets it together and starts realizing what they need to do to get back on top. By treating their customers this way, especially now, they have nowhere else to go but DOWN!
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "I would NEVER own a foreign made vehicle"

You do know where your (and my) GXP was made?
    - Ray
    Vrooooom . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I completely agree with dblduce's comments to you. You should definitely talk to the owner of that dealership, and if you get nowhere, the representative for that dealership. How you were treated is appalling. You should be compensated for your inconvenience and their attitude. I had a problem when I picked up my 2006 GXP because they knew that on Monday when I made the deal that the Door Ajar Message and chime kept on coming on even though the hood was closed. Well, after I gave them my check on Thurs. that's when they told me the part was ordered and to call. Well, when I left there I immediately called the owner of the dealership who was at their Long Island dealership and told him I was just furious because they knew about this on Mon. and yet did nothing. Well, he called me back and said the Service Manager would call me tomorrow morning. The part was being overnighted. I got a call at 8:30 A.M. the next morning, took the car back and they replaced the part. For my inconvenience they gave me a free detailing/free loaner car to use at any time. I have to say I learned a good lesson check the car again before you hand over any money. I have dealt with this dealership since 1992 and they are an exceptional dealership. They took care of the problem. And I never had any problems with them before. But, again, if I were you, I would call the owner of that dealership.

I would definitely complain.
    when i meant "foreign made", i meant the BRAND NAME. In other words, id only own a GM, Ford, Chrysler, Saturn, Jeep, etc.
  • gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Member Posts: 38
    O'Canada....I would never own a foreign car either,for one simple reason, lets start with 1941....hmmmmm....however I dont understand why gm would be closing that canadian plant in the next year or so when JD POWER ranked that plant #2 as far as best plants gm operates :confuse:
    I hate to see GM having to close plants, esp. ones that are doing better than others. I just feel that since the latest bombshells have hit GM, they should start worshipping the feet of their loyal customers. They cant afford to have dealers haggle over minor service issues.

When are they going to realize that right now they cant compete in QUALITY with other car manufacturers, so they need to rely on the LOYALTY from their current customers to keep them afloat until they can become stable again?

Its this same customer-service arrogance that got them in this trouble to begin with, thinking that all they needed to do is produce the big, gas-guzzling SUVs to stay in the #1 spot.
    I agree with you completely. GM doesn't care. I have been a GM customer since 1992 and have sent them two letters re the 2006 GXP, which they never even bothered to answer. Obviously, they do not care about their loyal customers. The Customer Assistance Center is nothing but a big joke. Chats1
  • sahoward1sahoward1 Member Posts: 19
    I am in the middle of communications with the Asst to the CEO of GM regarding this stupid AC that comes on all the time in all modes. First CAC told me that was to defog my windshield (6 emails and 2 phone calls). Then I wrote letters. So far I've have two calls from this new guy. Said he, "All our research shows that consumers want more and more automatic conveniences at this high end kind of car, so that's why the AC comes on." Said I, "Well, I agree with that regarding most things. And I'd agree with that if my AC came on at 75, but 40 degrees Fahrenheit makes no sense. My stereo defaults to where I left it. My wipers don't automatically come on. I think GM screwed up with this AC thing, and you have to fix it." My father always owned Buicks. I've bought 8 GM cars, a Grand Am for one son and a Cavalier for another (weren't they lucky to have parents buy them a new car.) I must have charged 100K on my GM card, but unless this Asst to the CEO guy offers me a technical solution, I am cutting up my card, and my next car will be a Honda. I have sat at work on numerous occasions, and I totally loved my last GTP, but this AC thing is driving me crazy.
    I meant to say that I have sat at work and defended GM numerous times, and my last GTP was my most favorite car of all time, but I am completely over the edge with this AC coming on every time I start the car, in every mode. So far GM has merely tried to appease me, but I have been insisting that I need a technical solution. I actually wrote to the CEO. I'm dealing with the hiss OK, and even the GM badges on the side which aren't exactly cool, but should a person who lives in New England have to shut off the AC nine months out of the year. That can't possibly be right. CAC says, "Simply depress the snowflake to shut it off." At least we're coming into AC season.
    I agree with you completely. CAC is a big joke. They don't solve problems; just want to get rid of them! I've given up on even calling them -- it's just frustrating and makes you angrier. I have even told them "what good are you?" They are worthless and not technical people. All they do is look up your question in the manual and call the dealer. You can do that yourself. When the jerk at the CAC told me what he was doing, that's when I exploded and said what good are you. You're worthless. He then gave me another person to talk with who also was useless. I left a voice mail too and received no reply. Now, I have written to two people at GM, Mark LaNeve and Brent Dewar and also sent the questionnaire back with the message on top "I'll answer your questions when you fix my hissing/humming noise." I never heard from either of those two men. I wrote about three months ago. Face it, they don't care. I told them no more GM cars for me; I'll buy an Infiniti or Solara Convertible. I also told the dealer that if they ever became an Infiniti Dealer I'd buy a car from them in a second. They are an exceptional dealership; it not their fault at all, which I explained; it's GM's.

It's not even worth getting frustrated over this. I'm just dealing with my humming/hissing which really is not that bad. I'm fighting on principle here and not bothering filling out anymore questionnaires. I remember when they used to call you about your service experience; they don't do that anymore. Also, I have had 5 Pontiacs -- 1 Grand Am, 3 GTP's and this 2006 GXP. No problems with any of them, except this humming. My 2002 40th Anniversary Edition was a real beauty and I loved it. Never had a problem with it and never saw another one on the road. Good luck. Keep me posted if you get any help. Chats1
    Another comment to you from Chats1. Yes, you are a good parent. My mother bought my first two new cars for me too. But, of course, I've only had new cars. Never bought anything used. Little afraid of someone else's headache.
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    Well thats great if you have the money to buy a new car, but not everyone does. I got my first car when i was 16. A 22 year old 1960 pontiac. Earned every penny myself to buy it. Didnt know a thing about working on a car, but quickly learned, as there was no other choice. Theres alot to say about earning something and the accomplishment, compared to just being handed over something. Im still have my 60 Ventura, and currently restoring it myself.
    I commend you on restoring your 1960 Ventura. Who made the Ventura? As far as having something handed over to me, what's the problem? My brother also had two new cars handed over to him. Since the first two cars were bought for me, I have paid for every new car I have bought since. I buy a new car every three years. I work, work hard, save my money and when my warranty is up, buy a new car. Actually, right now, I'm thinking about what I want to buy next. If a parent is able to purchase a new car for their child, who cares. That's the parent's business. No one else's. So if my friend in New England wanted to buy his kids cars, that's his business. This subject is ridiculous anyway. I don't know why I'm wasting my time even mentioning this. But, anyway, my brother bought my nephew all his cars and when he graduated from medical school, the kid just bought a new Infiniti and a used Laredo for work. He had my 1999 GTP which caught on fire in the engine dept. Chats1.
    First, I'm a woman from New England who bought her sons two new GM cars, together with my husband of 35 years. We bought these kids the cars as they were finishing college, so they'd have reliable transportation for their new jobs. Everything we own in this world will eventually pass to them, so what does it matter if we shared a little of our good fortune with them. We also provided them with food, shelter, clothes, family values, etc. They are good kids and are now earning more than their parents. For Mother's Day I was asked what I wanted. I said, "A nice day with my family." So one son drove his Grand Am 150 miles, the other his Cavalier (there happened to be a good incentive on it at the time) 250 miles and we all had a great day together. They both brought lovely girls home with them, we went out to a nice restaurant, played Scattergories, talked, laughed, and reminisced about the 1982 Caprice that went from me to my husband, to my nephew, to my son, to the junk yard--200K miles. But this is my last GM car, because even a letter to the CEO and three calls from an Assistant in his office, would not fix this stupid AC that comes on all the time. They keep claiming that is proper operation of the vehicle. So I'm giving up, but next time I'm buying something different. My poor father will roll over in his grave. He would only drive a Buick. I wish I had my old GTP back. Or that Cutlass my sister used to have.
    I know how you feel about dealing w/ GM's "service" dept. When I owned my 2005 Chevy Equinox, it was a nice (and brand new for GM) SUV. But when i found out about the coolant problems that everyone was having, GM acted like they didnt know about it, or care. Even after 6 months of letting them know of the problem of the coolant resembling chocolate syrup, my local GM dealership still claimed there were no recognition by GM of the problem, so there was nothing they could do about it. One lesson i learned from my experience is to never ever buy a "new" vehicle produced by any car company until they have worked all the bugs out of it. Its very frustrating when you spend thousands of dollars on a car, have a problem with it, but cant get the manufacturer to even acknowledge it. To me, thats the quickest way to lose a customer to a competitor.
    I agree completely with you. I'm fed up with GM also because of that hissing/humming and I have had, including my 2006 GXP, five Pontiacs. Never had any problems with GM before. They just don't care anymore!!! I wish someone from GM would read these posts. Also, I think you read my e-mail wrong. I was not at all critical of you for buying your kids' cars. My mother bought me my first two and my brother his first two. I commend you. I am not the one who criticized you for buying your kids' cars. Your kids were as lucky as I was!! Chats1
    Dear Chats, I know you weren't the one who critcized giving kids cars, but yours was the most recent post, and the most expeditious way to reply. Anyway, it was 77 degrees here 35 miles south of Boston today, so I needed my AC. My husband took a tiny plastic stirrer/straw, mashed one end flat, and cut it to about two inches. He depressed the snowflake and stuck the plastic into the side. It holds the button down, so the AC no longer comes on. Today, when I wanted AC, I simply pulled out the piece of plastic. He's willing to sell them to GM for $1 a piece. If we sell a million, I can buy my whole family cars, but they will not be GM's. I noticed on the highway today, that those Nissan Maxima's look nice. I wanted to buy a BMW, but they're rear wheel drive, and in the winter, I really need front wheel drive. My GTP was great in snow. I'd love to have that car back with 0 rather than 70K miles on it. Have a great weekend everybody. Drive safely. Peace. P.S. I'm not telling my age.
    LOL, if you are willing to reach down to pull a plastic straw out to enable the AC, why couldnt you just use that movement to push the snowflake button? Now that I know how it is "supposed" to work, it really isnt that big of a chore to push a button on or off when it is needed.

When I had commented before about why the AC would come on when it wasn't expected to, I was merely stating that it was an inconvenience at best. That, and the speaker hissing noise, in my honest opinion, are NOT worthy of getting upset over enough to have to call GM and complain daily about it. These people that keep bitching about the same things over and over and over again should either just DEAL WITH IT, or else go buy a Corvette or something, lol. I dont know of ANY car manufactured that didnt have some small glitches built into it.
    Sahoward1, my three GTP's were great in snow too. But, I have to say this GXP was superb this past winter in the snow with the stock tires. I live in New Jersey, so we'll see about next winter. But, my dealer has told me the car would be fine in the snow as long as I'm not driving across country. My brother said the same thing. I think the Maxima's are nice too. I like the BMW's too, but the G35 Infiniti Coupe, much better, but my problem is also rear wheel drive. The coupe has rear wheel drive, but the sedan is all-wheel drive or front wheel drive. I don't like the Sedan in the G35. I need a car with front wheel drive. I'm thinking of maybe a Solara Convertible, depending of how fast it goes, next when my warranty is up. My 2002 GTP was a real beauty. It was the Anniversary Edition and had 51,000 miles on it when I traded it in. Also, this is the first sedan I ever owned; I always had coupes and am getting a coupe again when I buy a new car. Anyway, I guess you're resigning yourself to the fact that GM is worthless and will do nothing. I have. It's their loss. Incidentally, my brother bought his son all his cars until he finished medical school. The kid was an only child and was by no means a brat. My brother bought two of my GTP's for my nephew at below what the dealer was giving me so you know he got a good price from me then I took a few thousand off. The kid is my godson and is a great kid and I'm real proud of him. He bought himself a new G35 Coupe and a used Laredo for work. So spoiling him a little didn't harm him at all as some in this forum have suggested. He goes to his parents every Sunday for dinner. My brother even paid for his undergraduate education, one year master's degree and medical school. He even admits that he knows he got more than most. He's a great kid and works extremely hard -- even works on his day off if he's needed in another medical office. The kid is focused and a real go-getter so I agree with you giving your kids what you want doesn't harm them, as some have suggested, or saying they don't know the value of a "buck" since they didn't earn it. He knows the value of a "buck." Have a great weekend. Chats1
    Oh, I have to answer you on this because, as you know, I'm one of the hissing/humming complainers, if not the only one! First, of all, my three GTP's, when I was the owner, had no glitches. No warranty work was ever done. Nothing was ever done. Just maintenance was done and whatever the dealer told me should be replaced, gas filters, different services (i.e., 30,000 mile service), transmission fluid changed, fuel injection service, etc. At the mileage when something should be done, I had the service performed. Where I live I paid enough for this car and I'm fighting on principle. What year is your GXP? If it's a 2005, I wouldn't complain either!!! You got a $4,000 discount on it so that makes up for the humming/hissing noise or any problem for that matter. Mine is a 2006; I didn't care about the $4,000 discount, I wanted a 2006. So why if GM knew they were aware of the problem in the 2005's, put the piece of junk in the 2006? Can you answer that please? And, I don't call the idiots at CAC daily. I learned after calling them a few times in the beginning that they are not only worthless, useless; they are downright plain stupid. I know more than they do. And I have only written to GM twice -- actually very nice letters -- and they didn't even reply. So, what does that tell you? They just don't care. I'm dealing with the humming/hissing now; I don't even pay attention to it anymore. It only lasts a few seconds then goes off. When my three year warranty is up, I'll trade this car in or sell it myself, and buy a new car! A lession to be learned -- you don't buy a new model in its early stages. You buy the car after it's been on the market for a few years but a brand new version!!! So, I goofed. I also refuse to fill out any questionaires. I send them back "I'll fill this out when you fix my humming/hissing noise!!" Chats1
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "I like the BMW's too, but the G35 Infiniti Coupe, much better, but my problem is also rear wheel drive. The coupe has rear wheel drive, but the sedan is all-wheel drive or front wheel drive. I don't like the Sedan in the G35. I need a car with front wheel drive."

The Infiniti G35 Sedan is RWD or AWD. The I35 was FWD.
    The (fairly strong) rumor is that the BMW 3 Series Coupe will offer an AWD variant - by next year. With a 300 HP & TQ twin turbo I6.

- Ray
    Who could jump to BMW (ED with my Daughter), if the sedan version of the 3 Series also becomes available with that motor . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Now that AC season is here in Massachusetts, I'll probably leave my plastic stirrer/straw in the ashtray. But in September, I'll insert my automatic snowflake depresser and will not have to deal with it again until next May. :) And I stopped calling and writing GM about it. I'm pretty disappointed they weren't willing to provide a technical solution for me, but I'm going to start enjoying the car. I've only had it six weeks, 2000 miles.
This discussion has been closed.