Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I know that this is all probably coming too late for you now anyway, but when was your last PCM replacement? A Mazda tech posted earlier in this thread that the PCM has to be reprogrammed after it is replaced, and the older PCM's cannot be reprogrammed at all. Were any of your new one's reprogrammed after being replaced? Another person verified the "fix" by sneaking a look at TSB 15589 while having it done to his own vehicle. Going by the number and what's listed on nhtsa.com, that TSB is pretty new.
  • tributeownertributeowner Member Posts: 4
    Just ordered a 2002 tribute ES anyone having problems with 2002 models
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    I have 20,000 k on my 01 Tribute v-6 awd. Only prob was the fuel smell & that was fixed immediately. Nice rig but I can,t pry the keys away from wifey!
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I have the same problem, wife wants to take the Escape everywhere..
  • sembergersemberger Member Posts: 2
    Sorry scape2 but you are incorrect in your response. I am not sure where you got your information but it is not accurate. For the record I am positive I have a 2002 Tribute and my PCM is a brand new one (I saw the information on the machine at the dealer) so the problem still exists.

Today I took it by the dealer and he installed part #1F22-13-210A which is a Volume/mass air flow sensor. According to Mazda support they apparently reengineered a new version of this sensor in an attempt to fix the problem. I'll let you all know if it works.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • shelleybshelleyb Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 Escape with 11,000 miles on it; anyone have a constant whistle sound from underneath the midsection while the engine is running. What was the problem is you had this? I take it in on Wednesday to have it checked out.
  • steve335steve335 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our 2002 5-speed Escape in Sept 2001. From the first day we had the car we had noticed a rattling noise when the system was under load in 3rd gear. We had the car in the shop several times. The dealer replaced the shifting column, and various cables, with no effect. The last time we had the car in the shop he had some good news. There was a service bulletin (either SSM# 15524 or RO# 199998) about this problem, and Ford had a fix. They replaced the cable again, with whatever new part Ford sent, and the noise went away for about two weeks. Now it's back.

Anyone else experienced this problem? I'm trying to arm myself with more information so I can get this problem fixed once and for all.

PS - New problem today. A very loud whistling noise coming from somewhere in the undercarriage. Happens while engine is running, doesn't change while accelerating, etc. We're taking in to the dealer tomorrow to get that one checked out.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • eld1eld1 Member Posts: 10
    My 2001 Escape has stalled 6 times, the first in Sept. 01 at 13,000 miles and the latest at 22,000 miles. I have an appointment on 4/9/02 with my "selling dealership" -- they have stated that I need to duplicate the problem with the tech in the car. I don't think that's possible since it stalls every few thousand miles and they are willing to spend only 20 minutes with me. The dealership that has worked on it the last 3 times refuses to work on it again. (Air Valve and Power Relay replaced not sure about PCM). The Ford 800 number also states I must duplicate the problem AND the "selling dealership" is not obligated to do anything if I cannot "duplicate". I feel as though I have hit a brick wall. All advice welcome.
    Hey steve355... I just wrote the message before yours about the whistling noise from underneath... I take mine in wed 4/10... post what happens and I will post my outcome as well. By the way, you getting low mpg's???? I have 11,000k on my and the mileage sucks.
    As long as your vehicle is under factory warranty Ford is obligated to fix your vehicle, that is until 3 years or 36,000 miles is up. You have recourse with going to the Ford regional manger or to another dealership. Bring in the TSB and the fix for this stalling issue. Someone here posted it previous posts.
    Rattling problems can also come from loose exhaust brackets that may vibrate or loose skidplates..
    MPG may vary with your driving habits. I find myself putting my foot into the V6 and know it doesn't help the mileage. Things that may affect mileage are using 10-W30/10W40 motor oils. Ford recommends 5-20W oil for gas mileage reasons. Other factors can be accessories like stepbars, roof racks, rock guards cause drag that may lower MPG. I have about 7K on my Escape now and am averaging 21MPG. I also use 10-30W oil, have stepbars, bugguard, and 2 bike racks. I'm sure this doesn't help my MPG.
    Shelly..This squealing noise is interesting. Almost sounds like a leaky exhaust system. Please let us know what you find....
    Scape 2 - I went armed with the information on TSB15589, but because I could not "duplicate" the STALLING for the selling dealership, they refuse to work on the car. The dealer actually suggested that I use the Lemon Law even with the latest incident at 22,000 miles. The first was at 13,000 in the second at 16,000 and the third at just over 18,000 miles. Today I wrote my Lemon letter to Ford. Once I receive the green return receipt postal form back I wait 10 days for a call from Ford. I want out of the Escape. Last night I read 75 similar stalling complaints on NHTSA -- someone is going to be killed before Ford finds the fix. Has anyone had success with the NJ Lemon Law when you didn't report the problem before the 18,000 mile mark?
    scape2, I will let yoo know about that whistle just as soon as I get it back from service. I too have the running boards, roof rack, no bike rack, but the tow hitch and I am trying very hard to step lightly on the gas pedal, but still not the best gas mileage... maybe the whistle/possible leak may have something to do with it... maybe.
    Thnx.
  • dnardinidnardini Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2001 Tribute back in March last year. Have had numerous problems with the vehicle, least of which is a vibrating driver's side mirror. The mirror has been replaced twice already and still vibrates.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so, did you find a solution??

Just had the bucket 'o bolts into the garage (where it feels most at home) for the 24000km checkup. Gee, what a surprise... they found a leaking axle seal.

At this rate I'll have replaced all the original parts before the warranty runs out. Already on the fourth alternator and third PCM..

And here's the kicker...

Mazda Canada offered me an extended warranty "in the spirit of good customer relations". So I get the paperwork by courier, which turns out to be a legal release form. The release is required before I get the MAP contract. Can you believe that?? So much for the spirit of good customer relations.

This is my third consecutive Mazda.. and LAST.
    I bought my trib last year also & in 20k kilo,s the only warranty work I got done was the fuel smell fix. Truck has been perfect!
    Hey turksteritis: Good to hear that about your Escape!!!!!! What gas mileage are getting though nd do you have the V6 4WD or?
    I get 26 mpg. (canadian gallon) at a steady 110 kph. (70 mph) on the highway in the summer.....22ish in the winter. That works out to 22.5 & 19 US per gallon. In town driving is kinda ugly & I never really wanted to know what it was.
    Forgot..it is a V-6 awd 01 tribute.
    first off, turksteritis: That is great 26mpg at 70! Is it the 2WD then?

OK, The constant whistle noise while the engine is running from the midsection... is the Fuel Pump. Yep, that is what they said. I 'll know right away, but they did not have the part in stock, so have to wait. Yeah, this is so simple to replace, I can go to Kragen and do it, but gotta keep the records going and have them do it for the warranty. Too bad a new fuel pump won't help the mpg.
  • carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    I had a fuel pump on a Buick once that made an annoying high-pitched buzzing noise. It was weird and they said it was normal and did not replace it. It functioned fine until we got rid of the car at 104K.
    Thanks carseeker4 for the info. At least I'll get mine replaced by them. ANY chance replacing it helps fuel mpg???? I didn't think so.
    I can literally watch the fuel guage go down as I drive my Escape, and I'm driving it on cruise control just at 70mph. I figured each of the little notches on the guage, you know the ones at Full, 1/2 and empty.. well that is 10 miles worth of driving. Make sense what I just said??? I really wanna make sure I am getting good mileage, I use the 5w 20w and 87 octane fuel and drive light footed as possible(I do have to drive up & over a 8% grade daily) and travel 75 miles a day. Mine is the V6 4WD with the roof rack & side bars. I traded in my 95 Dodge Intrepid for it which so far seems to de better on gas mpg.
    Well, I am getting 20 mpg so far, much better than I thought. I'll keep trying to get it better though, maybe take off some stuff. oh well.
  • a_handlesmana_handlesman Member Posts: 7
    Let us know how you make out. My Escape also stalled once, and the way the selling dealer treated me, well, let's just say I wanted to go "postal" there. The only revenge I have gotten so far has been to disway at least 10 people away from the Ford Escape and Winner Ford in Cherry Hill, NJ. Whenever people come up to me and say "what a neat vehicle,how do you like it?, I'm thinking of getting one." To which I say "don't, it stalls while driving at highway speeds and don't go to Winner Ford for any reason"
    Which dealer did you buy from in New Jersey? I think you will have success with the lemon law, just stick with it. Ford hopefully will come back with an offer in response to your letter.
    Good Luck.
    My 26 mpg is during the summer at a steady 70 mph. with the AWD V-6 trib. This is also a canadian gallon which is 20% larger then a us gallon ....so....that 26 equates to 22.4 us mpg. in the summer. It drops to 22ish in the winter.
    Handlesman -- I could not get the car to stall on my test drive with tech on Tuesday AM. However, it did stall on Tuesday PM when I was on way home from work and while I was on the phone with Ford Customer Assistance!! (It has stalled 7 times on the same road -- twice in the same exact spot!) They now know first hand the horror we go thru when the stalling happens while we're driving 40 mph around a curve/hill!! They recorded it in my file and transferred me to Roadside Assistance. Two hours later I was towed to the same dealership that I couldn't get it to stall at in the AM. It is at the dealer today and they are taking it on a 60 mile trip to see if they can "duplicate". (This is my "selling dealer" a different dealer than the one that tried to fix it 4 other times -- and now tells me I can NEVER come back to them for ANY service.) I'm uncomfortable saying dealerships on the net just yet. Letter to Ford went yesterday. Pardon me for not scrolling back to your prior messages, but did you go Lemon Law? Not sure if I should just go to the dispute board and settle this -- I need a car and I don't want to be killed in my Escape! I never thought I would be in this type of situation -- it's a nightmare.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I remember recently reading a letter in the newspaper about "a Cherry Hill Ford dealer" (who else could it be?) and how they ripped off the letter writer's 80-year-old dad by charging and re-charging serious dollars for 'repairs' that did not fix the problem on a Crown Vic.

That place is within a 10-minute walk of my house, but I would never buy from them. That is one reason I scratched the Escape off my shopping list.
    Anyone know of any mods that will not void the warranty that particularily have to do with fuel efficiency... like putting a different exhaust, or intake or whatever??? Plus any other mods that won't void my warranty as well as my extended 5/100,000 warranty.?????

thanks
  • knorman2knorman2 Member Posts: 3
    My Escape is the Poster Child for bad behavior.
    V-6 XLT loaded, love the handling and styling. Hate the quality. Purchased in Oct 2000. Noticed fuel smell almost immediately. Extremely poor gas mileage - 13 city, 22 hwy. I had been led to believe it would be much better. Stalled in Dec, twice in Feb. Had recall for the Wiper motor, replaced under the recall, then the motor burned out during a hard rainstorm on the highway in March 01. Took car in for repair for wiper motor, and mentioned stalling problem and fuel smell in March 01. Have had no problems with those since. March 2002 - Transmission failed at 23,500 miles on Highway @ 70 mph. Has been rebuilt. Let me summarize - I have had every problem that has ever been posted about the Escape - stalling, poor fuel mileage, fuel smell, wiper motor failure, and transmission. HELP!!! At this point all have been "corrected" by the dealer, who wants us to give them an "excellent" rating on the survey that FORD will send us. RIGHT!
  • a_handlesmana_handlesman Member Posts: 7
    No, I have not been able to pursue the Lemon Law yet because the truth is, it has only stalled once. (It needs to stall a third time before I send the certified letter to Dearborne) Believe it or not, I have not had any other problems with the vehicle, and I wanted to wait this stall thing out until there is a recall or an official TSB fix that works. On the down side, I am not happy with the poor "fit and finish" of the vehicle. The more I drive it, the more squeaks, rattles, noises, etc. I hear. The good thing is that New Jersey's Lemon Law is 18,000 miles/2 years (correct me if I'm wrong) and I have low mileage on the vehicle. My biggest problem is service. I really don't know who to trust anymore, and from what I understand, these vehicles are fairly advanced, and a lot of independent mechanics simply don't know how or can't afford the Ford tools to fix them. On the upside, this was a lesson for me, albeit an expensive one. You get what you pay for, Ford is an immoral company, and I will never buy another. It's absurd that I give them 25,000 and they knowingly send me away in a death trap.
    I sound angry but after writing this it makes me feel so much better.
  • sam1960sam1960 Member Posts: 3
    I bought mine dispite knowing all the problems because it was the best possible suv I could afford at $16000(4cyl xls)in 03/2001. Now I am wondering if I made a right decision. At 9000mile my first gear would not engage smoothly. Each time I put first gear and release clutch pedal car would vibrate and went nutts but after 1st gear,2nd,3rd,4th and5th were no problem. My dealer said it needed new clutch that was covered under warranty. At 15000 engine check light came and they had to replace some sensor still under warranty. At 18000 miles I am experiencing same clutch problem. Does anyone have same problem ? Please let me know what should be done to correct.
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    I don't own an Escape/Tribute but thought I would pass this along. On NPR (National Public Radio) Saturday morning there is a show called Car Talk with 'click and clack, the tappert brothers' - they are also on the web site of cars.com - if you never listened to this show, you should do yourself a favor - it is hillarious and will get some useful car info.

Last Saturday, a caller talked about her Escape stalling problem - they acted like they knew exactly what it was - a loose electrical connection. She had another problem with her car - think she said transmission - and these guys told her that the shop did not do all the electrical connections properly at the time of repair. So, all you owners that have had stalling problems, this might be a solution - have your electrical connections checked. You may have a loose connection.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Click and Clack may have a loose connection (or two).
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I also heard that show. The caller had a problem with the transmission and needed to have it replaced at 15K. After the new tranny had been installed, she experienced issues with stalling. However, it only happened when she drove over bumps (like railroad tracks). Doesn't sound like the same issue we see here.

The Tapperts advised that the cause may be a loose wire. Since replacing a tranny requires quite a bit of un-installing, they figured that the mechanic may have forgotten to tighten a connection when they put things back together.

It was an amusing segment, though. I thought they were a little hasty to suggest the lemon law. They were probably just taking advantage of the fact that it's a lemon yellow truck.

Speaking of lemon laws... A_Handlesman, you may need to give your dealer three attempts at fixing the problem before going lemon. In most states, you need to document three separate attempts at fixing a problem before taking legal action. Simply having the same problems three times does not qualify (not sure if that's what you were thinking). Good luck with the vehicle. =)
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    Could be totally different problem but if some connections were not properly done, then any little bump may cause it. I think it would be worth owners of these vehicles to consider it and see if it could be checked out.
  • murphy27murphy27 Member Posts: 31
    I took the Escape in yesterday for its one year oil change, tire rotation, etc. Also there is a noise where the AC blower/fan is on the right side. It was so loud and would go off when the AC was turned off. The truck was there all day and other than the maintenance work, they said they could not find a thing - did not hear the noise but still "tightened something" and told me to bring it back if the noise started again. I drove it today for three miles (I am home on vacation today) and it is starting to make noises again. Furious - as it means another trip to Ford. Anyway - while I was there, I managed to actually talk to a mechanic (they are not supposed to speak to the customers). He told me he had had several Escapes with the stalling problem and re-programming the PCM seemed to fix it. The service manager spoke to me when I came back and cheerfully said "well perhaps there will be a recall". I cannot wait to dump the Escape. Actually hated to give up my rented ford focus. It was so great to drive and not have to look at the gauges waiting for a stall.

Murphy
  • carolina_eecarolina_ee Member Posts: 3
    I'm not very happy. My Escape just passed the 36k mark and the engine light came on. Tried the suggestions on the board regarding the gas cap/disconnect battery to reset light but the light would turn back on after driving for a short period.

I don't know much about cars so I'm not sure what an DPFE Sensor (Delta Pressure something or other) and an EVR Vacuum regulator is what Ford is telling me is wrong. Has anyone heard of this problem.
    P.S. Anyone want to buy an ESCAPE for $15k (negot)? XLT, Leather, upgraded wheels and side bar?
  • dnardinidnardini Member Posts: 4
    The latest Consumer Reports magazine (Annual Auto Issue) gave both the Escape and Tribute dismal reviews. Seems that consumers are not happy (big surprise there eh?). Both the 2001 Ford Escape (V6) and 2001 Mazda Tribute (V6) are listed under "Used cars to avoid". Not a great start for a newly designed vehicle.

The Tribute got the lowest mark for reliability and second lowest mark for customer satisfaction. The Ford Escape fared slightly better for customer satisfaction, but reliability was the same (crap).

As an unhappy 2001 Tribute owner, I can relate to that. I still prefer the Tribute's overall design to any other small SUV, but that's not really much good if it doesn't work :)

Cheers.
    I took a scroll back about 300 posts and noticed quiet a few REPEAT posts/problems, along with quite a pattern.
    Seems like maltb, varmit, canadatwo, carseeker, murphy27 have this room pegged.. to name just a few....
    I haven't posted anything negative on this board in a while.
    In fact, my last post was rather positive, about a fuel pump
    noise that probably indicated there was no problem with the fuel
    pump. But I have read all the new negative material. In with that I say...
    ... thank the Lord I didn't buy a STINKIN' FORD!!!
    Stop the UAW posturing and falsehoods.
    I think scape2 was trying to point out that several non-Escape/Tribute owners are submitting an awfully high number of posts to a thread in which they really don't belong. Before you say it, I doubt that they are conspiring to stop all Escape/Tribute sales because it's pointless to do something like that. It'll never work, and it would be really sad.

To all who read this thread for advice, take the time to look at each person's profile so you can see if they actually own the vehicle that they are writing about.

carseeker4, you bought a Santa Fe didn't you? Hmm, let me see, which one has a better history Ford Truck or Hyundai Truck (or even Hyundai in general)? That's a tough one. Give it a year or two and then come back to make your comments. I wonder, how many improperly manufactured engine parts will have been replaced by then? I used to think Hyundai had something good going, then I was forced to drive a 2001 Sonata from mid-December to mid-January (wife's Civic decided to form the letter 'T' with an Accord one dark December night, and it was a rental with < 10,000 miles on it). Let's just say, what comes around, goes around.
    Yes, there is the potential that my Santa Fe will not turn out to be what I expect. I was well aware of that gamble with Hyundai, but to me it was worth the gamble, given its build quality when compared with the Tribute (we spent three hours combing over these two vehicles side by side and test driving them). My problem with scape is that he insists on questioning EVERYONE and ANYONE who dings Ford on quality (and American cars in general). True a lot of these posts are duplicate posts and some are from those who don't own a Tribscape, but are merely investigating (I guess you could say I owned a Tribscape for about 24 hours!), like me, but those folks have done their homework and are looking for "real life" experiences of people who have had problems. The Yahoo boards are FULL of bad posts about the Tribute (let's face it, its a Ford) also. I didn't get on scape until his "Wan Lu" or whatever, post on the "FordEscape/MazdaTribute vs. Subaru Forester vs. Hyundai SantaFe" forum. That showed his "union mentality" (complaining about "free trade" and "foreign wages", etc). Since I despise American unions, and hold them accountable for unduly raising labor costs (and thus reducing quality) and for being corrupt, I feel his views need to be answered. And.... let's face it, the American public has made its statement over the past 10 years. American automotive manufacturers are losing market share, and if you ask John Q. Public, its quality issues that did it. Read how many people on this board say they will never buy a Ford again. Many of these people probably bought for "patriotic" reasons, too! Anyway, the Santa Fe did have one problem, a sensor, which was quickly fixed and its running quite well, ready for its first oil change, and I love the interior (not quite as roomy as the Trib, but more stylish), and I don't have to worry about stalling when I'm going downhill at 45.... sorry for the length...
    .... I still read this board regularly. It reinforces the rightness of my decision! (hate to say it). But, baggs is correct in pointing out "how long will that last?". We'll see. I guess I will be a good test case.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Do I post here? Yes. Do I post problems? No.

Try reading the content, instead of focusing on the poster's name.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I have driven numerous tribs and rather enjoy the vehicle. I do not own one, but then again I don't OWN any car. If a Trib fit my needs, I'd probably have one in the driveway though.

However, from my memory, the only time I speak up in here is to debunk what I know as false info or to gather more info. If that's not what a forum is for, people are wasting their time posting.

Personally, it's in my best interest to see everyone and their mother driving a Tribute, but the fact that it doesn't have a good record disappoints greatly.
    carseeker4,
    I'm with you on the unions.

I know some people that have said they would never buy this, or never buy that because they had a problem with a certain brand. They always end up having a problem with the next brand, and the cycle continues on. Fortunately for them, with autos, it could be decades (or never) before they have a problem with the next brand. Some people just deal with problems better than others I guess. By the way, it took Hyundai 2+ years to fix the Santa Fe stalling problem. That's not so quick if you ask me. At least they fixed it though, I'll give them that.
    Yeah, the stalling problem was related to a crankshaft sensor, they also had some engine failures due to bad cylinder sleeves early in 2001. I read about all those things and still bought the Santa Fe because, like you said, they fixed the problems. My problem was a throttle position sensor, which did not cause a stall, but some erratic acceleration and shifting (believe me, I thought I had a major problem on my hands, until they came back with that), however, its fixed and purrin' like a kitten. Also, you mentioned reliability of Ford trucks vs. Hyundai. Both the Escape/Tribute and Santa Fe are built on car platforms so that's more difficult to judge. In the TRUE truck dept, you are correct, Hyundai has no experience. And, I don't know if they will try to expand into that area or not. I should clarify my statement on unions, the "corruption" became evident only after the 1920's, but the concept of unions in general has some serious flaws (like "collective bargaining", which allows individuals to get away with poor performance on the job and still get a raise, and discourages initiative).... and management has to take some blame for rushing products to market..
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't wish to get too far off topic - but - with regard to unions, they contract with management which means that management AGREES voluntarily to the terms of the contract. If you see problems with unions, you have to look no further than management to blame as they agreed to the terms. Bad contracts come from bad management.

-tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Gee tide, just come in here and bait the room! I won't touch it though.
    Yes, let's try to stay away from the union thing. Leave those words for the bars.

carseeker4,
    Yes they are built on car platforms and have the unibodies, etc., etc.. They really are trucks in the end though. So, they don't play in all of the big truck games, but they do have the skills to play in most. Look at their manufacturer names on nhtsa.com. You'll see Ford Truck and Hyundai Truck. On another note, something I always thought to be strange here in Pennsylvania (you're from the Philly area right), large vans and pickups say "Truck" on their PA license plates. Why don't SUV's? I never really did find out why, as I just got the new one (PA website and all) and it is the same as those on cars. Not that I really care, I'm just curious.

Anyway, we've put 1200+ more miles on our Escape in the past three months, and have not stalled again. I'm thinking about taking it in to have the PCM upgrade before it does stall again (if it even does) which may give me a better idea of whether or not this "fix" is really working. No one seems to want to come back to report success with it even though some of us keep asking them to. Anyone have any good news?
    I wish I could have the PCM Fix. But my selling dealer can't do anything because I called the FORD 800 number and complained that my car had been at one dealer 3 times with no fix, and my car is now on the "don't touch unless the problem can be duplicated with a tech in the car" list! Has anyone been able to duplicate the stalling on demand?? Selling dealer suggests I play dumb and bring it to another dealer to see if they will work on some of the "fixes"!

Sent the Lemon letter to Ford last week, so I'm waiting to get my return receipt and start counting off 10 days. Just a reminder that my stalls have occurred with thousands of miles between stalls so watch your dash! Usually I can't tell I have stalled until I need to brake or turn. If anyone has advice on how proceedings with their Lemons have gone with Ford, I would love to hear it. Murphy, where are you at with this?

I know of one other case where Ford admitted the 2001 Escape was a Lemon and the owner won. Anyone else have any experiences with Escape Lemons?