Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Climate Control/AC/Heater

13»

Comments

• lane23lane23 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for responding. I have appt for this coming Thursday at the dealership that I purchase my car from, Preferred Auto, Ft. Wayne, IN. Hopefully they will have a solution... I've found several out posting, here and other site where the Impala's have A/C issues. If it's common problem, was there a recall and I just missed it?

Thank You!
  • jtho53jtho53 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Impala has been fixed since the post. I purchased a new resistor assy from the parts house and tried to install it. Wrong part.

I checked the connector to the motor and cleaned some corrosion. I also wacked the bottom of the motor. It freed up the brushes in the motor . The system has been running good since.

John :)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lane23,

Glad to hear you have an appointment at the dealership. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Update...I no longer need to take the car into the dealership. I went to dealer parts store and bought the ambient outside air temperature sensor, took out the old one and now it works! All for $8.28 vs. $60 just for the dealership to run diagnostic search for what the issue might be.

Thanks!
    :)
  • 54sharon54sharon Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with 06 impala
  • fergufergu Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 Impala SS.
  • birdie58golfbirdie58golf Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Impala that hasn't given me a single problem until a few days ago when driving at highway speed with the A/C on, I heard a squeak plus felt a quick jolt from the gas pedal and then felt warm outside air blowing. I haven't tried it since because it has been cool this week. Before I take it in to the dealer, is there anything I can check on myself, like a fuse?
    You can check to see if might lost your ambient air flow meter, it's what tells the car if hot or cold outside, which in turns allows you to have your a/c on or not. Does your dashboard tell that temperature is in the negative range i.e. -40? Mine did for almost a year and I didn't want to spend the $250.00 fee just to see what the dealer think is wrong. Did some digging around online to find out what it might be...found information about ambient air flow meter that up in engine compartment.

A good way to tell if it is the meter if you know it's 80 degress outside but your car is saying it's negative 23 or 40 (like mine). etc. The ambiemt air flow meter is the front of engine compartment ( Believe I found a diagram in my owners manual that explained how to take out light in front to be able to get to it), you will need to carefully take out the whole light to get to it the part. My air flow meter was on front passage side of the car right under all of the light wires, etc. It's snapped in to front frame of the engine and connected by long cord that run back down under the engine to where it tells the car what the temp is outside. All you need to do is snap out part. Go to your local dealer & ask them for the ambient air flow meter for your Impala's year... the part cost me $7.85 and I had my Dad help me take part the ligith. put in the part then place the light back where it goes. it's a two person job less chance of dropping your front light ... way expensive if that would happen.

No local Hires, Advanced Auto Part, etc. will carry the part as it is exclusive handling by the dealership auto parts service center. It's been Fantastic to be able to have a/c in my car this summer! I hope this helps you out. ...If your temperature is reading normal on the dashboard then it is not the ambient air flow meter. There is also a a/c compressor but I'm not sure how to correct that myself has my issue with air flow meter.

Thanks!
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    You can check for the a/c fuse to see if it blew but it sounds like the compressor failed and the squeak was the serpentine belt slipping for a second while the compressor clutch locked up which caused the jolt you felt. Try turning the a/c on and open the hood. If the a/c compressor clutch does not cycle on and off then the compressor is bad. You can tell by watching the a/c pulley to see if the end of it spins or not. The pulley where the belt runs is free wheeling so it spins with the belt all the time just the end is the clutch that engages and disengages to pressurize the the system.
  • birdie58golfbirdie58golf Member Posts: 2
    Yep, the compressor went bad and a new one will be installed. $$$.
  • rightduderightdude Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I had the same issue on my 2008 impala. This is probably not the GM recommended fix but it's working thus far. I dropped the glove box door down and the recirculate/outside air door is directly behind it. Even though the door was fully opening and closing, I could feel the actuator clicking. Thinking it might be out of time, with the door closed (outside air), I pried the door up one notch (about an inch and half opening) with a long screwdriver. I felt it click into place. When I tried the door again, it would fully open and close, and the clicking was gone. This was over a week ago and it is still working fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • saintpattysaintpatty Member Posts: 1
    Hi I'm new to this forum and I have a 2005 Chevy Impala with no heat on the driver side, windshield defrost and floor vent but passenger side has hot and warm air blowing. Can anyone tell me what the problem is ?.
  • edc50edc50 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem last winter. There is something called an actuator which is kind of like a little door that goes in front of the vent. Anyway it had to be replaced and the heater worked after that.
  • fixit4fixit4 Member Posts: 3
    This totally worked for me TODAY!!!

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f8f18/41#MSG41

There is another post about getting the positioning of the motor right to line up the screw mounts. This was genius! I connected the motor, put it on the post and then used a small hand held mirror to see the screw holes. I connected the battery, laid on my back, turned the key on, turned the heater/ac on and moved the driver's side temp control from cold to hot until my screw holes lined up. After that, I got the screws in by touch and a little masking tape to help me hold on to the screws.
  • twin06sstwin06ss Member Posts: 3
    yes you are correct recirculation mode can only be use with certain modes on the a/c and heat module. if it blinks and goes off try turning the vent module to another setting like on deforst or the floor and it should stay on after hitting it!
  • ladyzladyz Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for posting. About month ago I noticed after getting in car in early afternoon, temperature on DIC showed 50something degrees. I knew that was wrong cause it was 80something. I had few errands to run which took couple hours. DIC still showed 50something degrees. Finally while returning home I noticed temp starting increasing. Has happened a few times. It's like it reads it correctly at the first startup and gets stuck. Am gonna have friend check out that ambient air flow meter.
    I see that you’re already having a friend look into this concern, but if we can be of any assistance, either by looking into warranty or recall information on your vehicle or by helping you work with a dealer towards a resolution for this concern, please email us more information, including your name and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • shebasmomshebasmom Member Posts: 2
    Noticed others have had the same problem, but wasn't able to see a solution? Is this problem able to be solved without taking it to a dealer? What is the solution?
  • tatertot5218tatertot5218 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem. No heat when idling, when going under 45 mph or stopping. My problem was the dexi-cool coolant. Found out it was old and very gummy. Got a coolant flush and now my heat works fine. Cost me $80 to fix at local oil change place. Well worth it with winter here. :)
  • shebasmomshebasmom Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Something worth checking in to! :)
  • strosestrose Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my '08 Impala.

And for months now I've been getting outside fumes in even when the a/c is set to RECIRCULATE. Could this be due to the same problem? There are less than 39,000 miles on the car.
  • spunkaroospunkaroo Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Impapa 21000 miles Has no heat when the vehicle idles also had to replace 4 tires due to uneven wear . Vehicle has been serviced on a regular basis.
  • rightduderightdude Member Posts: 2
    Bad news, this was a temp fix. I had to replace the actuator and now it works just fine. Currently right at $50.00 with tax from the Chevrolet dealer.
  • khbuzzellkhbuzzell Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for posting this - this is my first summer in my 2008 Impala - just bought it in Dec 2012. Now I am constantly fiddling with these controls trying to get the air temperature to a comfortable setting. And it seemed to me that even though the A/C light wasnt lit - that it was still on....b/c it was! I am in Virginia so leaving the outside air open isnt an option b/c even though it might not be real hot outside - the air is still moist from the humidity, so I have / want to keep the recirculating on. But instead of just recirculating the cool air already in the car- the A/C is still on, wasting the gas..
  • mikey55mikey55 Member Posts: 5
    I brought this up with the dealer and Chevy Motor Division. There are a lot of people out there driving their cars with the A/C running and the weather does not call for it. The only solution you have is to put the blower control knob to off & turn the recirculating air switch to on. The A/C will not kick on. If you move the blower knob to a higher position the A/C will kick on, the lite will stay off & you cannot shut the A/C off.
  • margoflmargofl Member Posts: 1
    my 2006 Chevy Impala won't cool on outside air but does on inside recirculated air. It has never worked right. Took it in to the dealer for service when it was still under warranty and was told there was nothing wrong with it and was charged for the service check. It didn't work right then and is worse now. It use to eventually cool down some with outside air but won't at all now. I need to sell it as my husband can no longer drive. It has less than 46,000 miles on it and I can't sell it the way it is. Any ideas what might be wrong, I know if I take it into the dealer it will be a costly bill.
  • needsimplefixneedsimplefix Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Impala LTZ with Dual heat and air controls. The drivers side heater will only blow cold air. I took it to the Chevy dealer and he said it will cost $715.00 to fix. Is this possible? Reading some of the post they are saying $50 part and an hour to fix....
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon needsimplefix,

As customer service agents, we do rely upon the dealership's diagnosis on a vehicle, but we are willing to check into this further. If you would like for us to to find out more about the diagnosis, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jonesy24jonesy24 Member Posts: 3
    OK... my heat was working yesterday, this morning, nothing. I would get a little bit of heat, then it would turn cold. When I would slow down, the temperature gauge would start to rise, then it would come back down. When I was full speed on the freeway, it would fluctuate a bit, and I'd feel the heat come and go, slow down to street roads and it is going from 1/3 to 3/4 and back. I'm thinking it's the thermostat, any thoughts?
    edited October 2012
    OK... found a leak, not sure what it is, pump maybe. If I can get a picture posted I will.
  • kyle3232kyle3232 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, my 2006 impala is doing the same thing yours was doing in 2008. How were you able to resolve your problem? Thanks!
  • mikey55mikey55 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Kyle. Never got it resolved. Chevrolet said that was normal.
  • cooper43cooper43 Member Posts: 1
    I brought this new. The switch from floor to defrost stops working. I get no air in the summer to no heat in winter.
    Now for the forth time and $489.52 . I am not happy only 23k. I know I will have it back in
    because they only calibrated it. Last Chevy in this household. :(
    cooper43,

Please let us know if you ever want for us to check into anything for you! We're available via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • chadm0chadm0 Member Posts: 1
    This just happened to me this morning. I've got a 2005 Imapala LS. I warmed my car up to find it was blowing cold air and the temp guage was near 3/4. When I would give it gas the temp guage would drop to normal (about 1/3) and I would get hot air. When I would coast, the guage would rise and the air would get colder. I bought this car used from a family friend who is a dealer. The car was garage kept, driven a handful of miles a week and meticulously maintained. Really surprised to have this happen.

Anyone find out what exactly makes this happen? Do I need to get it into my mechanic ASAP? :confuse:
  • kyle3232kyle3232 Member Posts: 2
    Check your coolant level. Sounds like there may be a problem with your water pump as well. You need to get this checked out. You do not want to have your car overheat...
    Same thing was happening for me. It was the water pump.
  • psmechanicpsmechanic Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I work as a public safety mechanic for municipality. We are not fans of Chevrolet. We have been having heating problems with Chevrolet Impalas. It seems to only occur in cars with 3.9l engines with the Active Fuel Management system. At idle the car will lose heat. As long as the car is moving, the heat is fine. If the car sits at idle, even at a traffic light, it blows cold. We purchased many of these vehicles used, with low miles. The coolant level is fine, not a problem with the thermostat, no leaks in the system. Although, I have not checked the ECT sensor with the scan tool, according to the dash, the temp holds pretty constant. Chevrolet cannot tell us why this is happening. This is not happening with just one car. It is EVERY car with a 3.9l w/Active Fuel Management. Has anybody else run into this? Has anybody found a solution to the problem?
  • matthewratliffmatthewratliff Member Posts: 1
    I need some assistance on the blower motor for a 2010 chevy impala. The blower motor continuously stays on, even with the vehicle off. I removed all fan buses, however it did nothing. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  • haysabehaysabe Member Posts: 1
    The AC control would intermittently work and not at the setting indicated. Sometimes it would come on, sometimes not. When the blower would come on, it would not be at the speed indicated. Then the blower would not turn off, even with the key removed from the ignition. It finally stayed on long enough to drain my brand new battery. I was told it was the blower control module AND the HVAC Control. One shorted out the other. Is the dealer trying to scam me?
  • katrinabkatrinab Member Posts: 2

My AC works but if I have it on the max setting I get an unbearably loud clicking noise so I just move it down a notch below max setting and the clicking stops.

• apeaceful100apeaceful100 Member Posts: 1

I have the same issue with my 2008 chevy impala

• monkey63monkey63 Member Posts: 1
    sgoodie66 said:

I have an 05 Chevy Impala and the A/C works great but when heat is engaged I only get heat from the passenger side of the vehicle, regardless of the setting on the dual climate control...Others have the same or similar problem but no one can pinpoint the solution. Can someone please help???

have u tried the air flow actuator, my 2005 impala doing same thing im gonna try this first
  • bahamute79bahamute79 Member Posts: 1

i have a 2005 impala, and the heater is not blowing hot air, I have checked coolant levels, and they are fine, bled coolant lines, not sure exactly how to back flush the system, or what I'm looking for on the actuators, I'm a single father of four and can't afford to put it in the shop. Please help.

• oflores713oflores713 Member Posts: 2

monty5283 said:
    I am replacing the heater control panel on the dash since many lights are burned out. The replacement part only has 2 screw holes, 2 push in tabs, and one plug-in wire strip. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE HEATER CONTROL PANEL ! :( MONTY5283

HeLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY 06 IMPALA AC. SOMETIMES BUT OFTEN, WHEN I HAVE CAR TURNED ON BUT ON PARK OR AT A LIGHT, OR STOP SIGN MY AC STOPS BLOWING COLD AIR AND HOT AIR COMES OUT, AND THE LIGHT FOR AC TURNS OFF AND WHEN I PRESS BUTTON TO TURN ON AC ALL IT DOES IT BLINKS LIKE 2 OR 3 TIMES AND AC DON'T TURN ON, SOMETIMES IT DOES. BUT AC STAYS ON OR BLOWS COLD AIR ONLY WHEN I RUN THE CAR. WHAT COULD BE MY PROBLEM, PLS HELP. HAVE A 1 YR OLD DAUGHTER AND THIS AC PROBLEM IS WORRYING ME MOSTLY BECAUSE OF BABY, BECAUSE AC TURNS OFF RANDOMLY WHEN CAR IS AT PARK SHIFT OR WHEN I'M AT STOP SIGN OR LIGHT.

• moms3w1moms3w1 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2007 Chevy Impala SS and the heat blows hot on the driver side and cold on the passenger side. Also while I was driving the windows started fogging up and wouldn't clear unless I wiped them (it was like I was wiping water) Please help!!!
  • jayscangjayscang Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Impala SS- 122000 miles- a/c did not work- had diagnosed-bad compressor- also day before I brought it in for repair- radiator tank split... all warranty repairs but now after repairs- a/c works intermittently- light on a/c button flashes and goes from hot air to cold air- had dealer check-found some codes for loose connections- reset codes and all was ok for a week- now worse than ever... any suggestions?