Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Steering/Suspension

Comments

• gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Seeing you are out of warranty try this.

1. From inside the vehicle, spray GM Superlube, PIN 12346241 (in Canada, use PIN 10953474), into the gap between the inner shaft and outer shaft at the steering shaft for about two to three seconds.
    2. Start the vehicle and turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and spray into the gap between the inner
    shaft and the outer shaft again for about two to three seconds.
    3. Wipe off any excessive lubricant that may run down the outer shaft with a shop towel.
    4. Cycle the steering whee1 lock to lock for two complete cycles.
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    Hi - we have an 05 MAXX that we are thinking of trading in for an 07. Does the 07 MAXX's and the Malibu's have the same clunking problem? THANKS!
  • emmagataemmagata Member Posts: 8
    WOW! Thanks! That did the trick! I didn't have GM superlube but I had some 15 year old Duralube and that worked. The clunk while turning hasn't returned. If it does, I'll know what to do.
    Glad it worked, got that information off the GM TSB their Techs use.
    I was thinking that good penetrating oil might work like PB Blaster.
    Mine was done under warranty so if it comes back I will know what to do.
    Thanks for letting us know how it worked.
  • rickseguiricksegui Member Posts: 1
    I think you will find it to be the intermediate steering shaft, part # 22687711, shaft kit.

I found out this morning this problem is occuring on the 2005 models only.

Hope this helps,

Rick
    Just a follow up. Ever since my last post and spraying "Duralube" down the steering column from inside the car, the clunk has NOT returned!! Yeah!

Now I can focus on the rattles in the headliner and everywhere else! Ugh...
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Think I posted this on Maxx board, but not here. Last week I got an offer from GM offering to pay for the steering column replacement (last winter, approximately $750) on my 05 Maxx.
    How many miles are on your MAXX? I have almost 90K on my LT.
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    Got a letter from GM this week, they are extending the warranty on steering columns on the electric steering vehicles (Malibu, G6) to 7 years or...over 100,000kms (cant recall the exact figure).
  • blurin03blurin03 Member Posts: 7
    I bought my daughter an '04 Malibu used and now have had the steering quit working two times. 53k miles.

Any ideas on what is the best fix and/or if GM will own up to any part of the fix?

What is the letter you got? Is there a # attached to it, or a phone #?

Thanks!!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    there is a TSB out on the steering issue...dont know if you can get it covered under warranty or not since it is used.....its a know issue on the early model Malibus....normally a complete steering column replacement..you can press the local chevy serivce department......and see what they say.....
    Thanks Pao. shadow5599 said he got a letter stating GM was going to cover it under warrentee until 100k or 7 years.

Anyone else get that letter?
    shadow5599 said he got a letter stating GM would cover the steering under warrantee for 7 years or 100,000 miles.

Anyone else get that letter?

My Malibu's power steering is not working at all as of today.
    was it a warranty coverage letter or letter of reimbursement...Im not sure which..either way...Im beyond the mileage on my 04 Maxx LT as mine as 115k on it...and no problems (knock on wood) at all with the steering....
  • mmischmmisch Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Malibu LT and the front end klunks like a bad tie rod end when I turn but it is not the tie rod end. I have been told by several people that the 2004 Malibu is noted for that problem and that the entire rack and pinion has to be changed for BIG $$$. Do you know if this is true and has GM done anything like a reacall? My car has 103K on it.
    I brought my '04 to the stealer for a "loss of power assist" problem. They checked it said "nothing is wrong. That'll be $110, thank you."
    I said, "Oh yea!! Tell my wife there is nothing wrong with the power steering."

I then called GM customer assistance and who said the '05 could be covered by the steering problem but not the '04. Go figure!!

I have a clunk and was told it was a tie rod end, but when I raised the car and checked the tie rods, they seemed fine. The rack looked like it had some play in it though. I have 53k miles.

I'm not concerned with a clunk now and then. When the power steering quits, THAT'S a problem.
    If you are out of warranty do this.

1. From inside the vehicle, spray GM Superlube, PIN 12346241 (in Canada, use PIN 10953474), into the gap between the inner shaft and outer shaft at the steering shaft for about two to three seconds.
    2. Start the vehicle and turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and spray into the gap between the inner shaft and the outer shaft again for about two to three seconds.
    3. Wipe off any excessive lubricant that may run down the outer shaft with a shop towel.
    4. Cycle the steering wheel lock to lock for two complete cycles.

Go here to see where to lube.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/gonogo/1971218.gif
    My car has NOT clunked since doing that!!! I would definitely give that a try before spending anything.
    I'll give that a try. Thanks!!
    My letter states coverage for my 2005 in Canada for 7 yrs/110,000kms. A steering column assembly at no charge. ONLY covers loss of power assist, and having had a DIC warning message about power steering loss. It also covers reimbursement up to the end of 08 if you've had to pay for it in the time period stated.

If there ever was a loss of power steering, a DIC warning should have come up and I gather that will be in it's memory. If so, it wont matter if it actually does it when in for service. They should be able to retrieve the DIC message if one had come up at some point. That qualifies for the column replacement. Thats the way I understand it.
    Thanks for the reply shadow5599.
    It has never happen to me, but many times to my wife and once to my daughter.
    The "wrench" appears on the instrement panel
    When I brought it in they did clear a few codes. One may have been for the steering, but, as I said, they are not covering 2004's.
  • llsugar420llsugar420 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, this is true I just recently just had to get my steering fixed in my 07' Pontiac G6 that I only had for a year. There was a clunk when turning (coming from the left side) when turning right or left. They replaced the same part #15858368 Gear 6.508, but also they replaced the shaft kit 6.526 part #22687711. I was surprised to see how many cars with the same steering design had the same problem??
  • llsugar420llsugar420 Member Posts: 2
    The intermediate shaft kit 6526 usually gets replace and they usually replace your Gear 6.508 part.
  • edohedoh Member Posts: 2
    This clunking noise and feel in the steering wheel are most likely caused by the intermediate steering shaft. my 2000 monte carlo had this same problem around 100k, they lubed the ISS and it was fine for about 10 months then began to happen again. it cost $150 just to buy a new iss without labor to intall it. it cost $75 to have the lube service performed at the dealer. replacing the ISS is only a temporary fix, as the lubrication has to be maintained periodically. apparently this problem plagues all gm cars with tilt/telescopic steering wheels. this problem really is minor compared to the loss of power steering assist that some people have complained of.
    Well, how ironic. This morning I got a "power steering" message on the DIC.
    Looks like that's the description of the problem outlined in the letter i got about steering column replacement warranty extension. I'll be talking to the dealer today and post back.
    mmisch, that link to the photo of where to lube doesnt work anymore. Can you or someone repost it or let me know how I can get the photo?
    Thx!
    Got it gonogo, thx.
    Is that lube the same as WD-40 or others along that line?
    I believe it is, I would try it or PB Blaster.
    After one message on the dic (it went away after shutting off the car), the dealer is replacing the column. The part alone is $800.
  • luannlmoreluannlmore Member Posts: 4
    Sunday when I had just turned off of I-35 in Dallas, I heard a dinging sound, looked at my display and it said" Power Steering". At that moment I realized that I had none!! After much hunting the place to add fluid, we discovered it is a sealed unit. When I started it back, the light was off and my power steering was back. However I understand this could happen again at any time. And of course my 2006 Malibu Maxx is out of warranty. Any suggestions, and anyone else had this problem?
    IS YOUR CAR STILL UNDER WARRANTY??
    No, it was out of warranty at 36,000. Now has 48,000. Called a dealer today and he said they had never heard of the problem with Malibus.
    So the dealer said they never heard of the problem.....Yea right.

I found the main power steering fuse was a little loose. It's located at the top of the fuse and relay box, under the left side of the hood in front of the firewall, I think it's an 80 amp. I replaced it for about $10.

Knock on wood, the problem has not reaccured.
  • homeycathomeycat Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Malibu LS purchased 12/06 has 11,200 miles when the "Malibu steering problem" surfaced. Took to dealer 6/12/08 who replaced GM Pt.#22687711. On 6/13/08 my steering was still momenarily locking up as well as klunking and now groaning when turning at slow speeds! Took the car back to the dealer that day, 6/13/08.

Dealer called 6/14/08 and was not able to duplicate any problem?? Dealer suggested that the car be picked up & driven home. I said "ABSOLUTELY NOT !
    UNTIL STEERING IS FIXED." I called GM's 800 # and informed GM that since 2004 they have turned a BLIND EYE to a SERIOUS manufacturing defect. I told GM that I WILL NOT pick up my car that is currently at the dealer for repair. I also told GM that the dealer was unable to duplicate my steering issues. GM stated they would follow-up with dealer and call me back.

After ongoing communication, 6/16/08, with my dealer whom I like, I finally established that the dealer's problem is not me but with GM who built the car! GM returned my call 6/17/08 and detailed that the reported problem(s) could not be duplicated for the car to be repaired!!!!!!! I told GM that this car WILL NOT be picked up until a repair is completed and guaranteed.

My dealer had a Regional Service Manager inspect my car. He advised my dealer to replace the steering column. To date, 6/20/08, my car is awaiting delivery of the part(s) suggested to repair the problem????
  • goinbonkersgoinbonkers Member Posts: 1
    Can you give any more details regarding this letter, or a number to call? I have just purchased an '05 Malibu (after reading all of these posts), and want to make sure I am protecting myself.
  • upstruckerupstrucker Member Posts: 4
    Sounds familiar. I bought a 2006 Maxx and in less than 2 yrs I've had the power steering assembly replaced twice due to the infamous clunking noise, (only when turning left), they said that the rack was binding. The problem came back so they tried a "special lube" on the steering column. That didn't work and now neither does my cruise control!! The computer had to be re programmed a few months after I bought it because the power steering disappeared. It was like turning the steering on a Mack truck at a dead stop. Oh yeah and guess what, the clunking is back and I have a service appt tomorrow. I will post the results to that after. GM offered me 5yrs or 100,000 mile on the power train but what good is that if that can't seem to fix to problem! :mad: :sick: :confuse:
    Sounds familiar. I bought a 2006 Maxx and in less than 2 yrs I've had the power steering assembly replaced twice due to the infamous clunking noise, (only when turning left), they said that the rack was binding. The problem came back so they tried a "special lube" on the steering column. That didn't work and now neither does my cruise control!! The computer had to be re programmed a few months after I bought the car because the power steering disappeared. It was like turning the steering on a Mack truck at a dead stop. Oh yeah and guess what, the clunking is back and I have a service appt tomorrow. I will post the results to that after. GM offered me 5yrs or 100,000 mile on the power train but what good is that if they can't seem to fix the problem! :mad: :sick: :confuse:
  • homeycathomeycat Member Posts: 2
    This is a follow-up to my 2006 Malibu steering repair. I picked the car up on 6/23/08. The steering column GM Pt.# 15926870 was replaced. Upon driving home I experienced the SAME PROBLEM with the steering locking up 5-6 times in my driveway! I immediately phoned the dealer who replied to bring the car back. Since we had not been able to duplicate the problem to the dealer, we chose to drive the car to see if this steering issue would become more consistent. It did and on 6/26/08 I took the car back to the dealer. 2 mechanics viewed my car's problem! It was established that I MUST LEAVE THE CAR THERE FOR REPAIR! . The steering gear GM Pt.# 25902150 was replaced, set toe, recaIibrated torque sensor and position sensor.

After daily phone calls from the GM rep. I was informed on 7/1/08 that my car was repaired. On 7/2/08 I picked up the car with to date no steering issues.

The GM rep phoned me to discuss my car's repair. I negotiated with him that GM needs to backup their parts & work so that this problem does not reoccur. With 11,500 miles now on my car, GM rep stated that GM would give my 5 yrs/100,000 mile warranty on my steering.
    After my steering locked up,btw it never "klunked" tho, we started making calls. That was a challenge in itself. GM would not discuss it, said to take it to a dealer. My brother in law took it to the dealer where we had purchased it, and they said it was the motor on the power steering unit. The steering had started alternating between momentarly locking up, then being so loose if you moved the steering wheel you almost changed lanes. It was out of warranty, but due to being a safety issue we got a reduced charge. Now I guess we wait and see and hope it doesn't lock up on a narrow road with a canyon on the other side.
    I have 106,000+ miles on my 2005 Malibu and have not experienced lock up. I did have clunking for a long time but lubed the steering shaft under the dash and it disappeared. I just noticed in the last couple of weeks a faint clunk from the steering while turning. It seems to be the same as before. I'll try the lube again.
    Well I picked up my car yesterday and they replaced the power steering gear assembly again, (3rd time), lube and repositioned the intermediate shaft and set toe. The rack and pinion binding like before. The clunking is gone and the steering is smooth for the time being. I am sure the problem will return in a few months. :confuse: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    I just replaced my rack, not from noise but worn passenger side internal rack bushing.
    Wheel on that side was loose. Not a bad job, 2 hours to remove and 1 hr 20 minutes to install. My next job is the driver side axle seal leaking, this Malibu is turning into my hobby LOL. 42 K miles 04
  • tkay73tkay73 Member Posts: 2
    Sometimes when I am driving along it will suddenly feel like something else has control of my front wheels and the steering feels loose. I had in the shop and they said it was the steering computer and reprogrammed it....i was on my way home and had the same problem. Any suggestions what it might be?
    I happened to get lucky by contacting a lemon law attorney. I explained the situation to him and he handled the rest. They took it back and I got everything I put into it.
    My neighbor had a Malibu and had the same problem but his was a lease.
    Good luck and I hope everything works out.
    I guess Im one of the lucky ones...of course you rarely here a good news story on any car forum....04 Maxx LT here...148K on it....and not one problem..originial steering components all the way around.....just had to replace the right tire rod....but that is the only OEM part I have had to replace/repair since taking ownership in March of 04..have done nothing else but follow normal recommended scheduled maintenance
    My loose right tie rod ended up being the rack. The shaft bushing in the rack was worn so much you could move the rod up and down quite a bit.
    Latest news, found the passenger side rear spring broken about 2 inches up. My hobby continues.LOL
  • tkay73tkay73 Member Posts: 2
    what year is your malibu?
    My 05 , with 130K, still has the original steering components. I had "the clunk" but put a couple of squirts of a synthetic lubricant and it's been fine since. I had to replace the rear springs because they were sagging (I keep stuff in my trunk for work). One problem I have is a weird vibration that comes and goes. It usually starts at about 50-55 mph. Sometimes it hardly vibrates. I've had the tires balanced and rotated several times. I did bend a wheel (aluminum) once and had it fixed but this was quite a while ago. I would REALLY like to get that problem solved because I do a lot of highway driving and it's quite irritating.

Another problem is every so often the left front turn signal socket gets corroded and stops blinking. I just pop out the bulb and smear some dialectric grease on it and it's fine. It NEVER happens to the right side. I even had the dealer replace the whole front lamp assembly.

I had to get most of the exhaust pipe and muffler replaced because of a crack but that was at well over 100K. I have a slow leak in one rear caliper.

Overall I'm fairly satisfied with the car. Engine still runs strong and doesn't burn oil. Still gets decent mpgs. Tranny seems to be OK. No problems shifting or slipping. I've had the fluid changed twice in 130K. Original coolant too.
    good to see another high mileage Malibu doing well...04 with 142K on it...and going strong too...I too have had the headlamp socket problem....harness was replaced originially...but do the same as you..and bend the contacts back inwards for a solid connection....

not sure about your vibration....I upgraded to 17 inch aftermarket rims.....several years ago and am very happy with them and the driveability of the car.......no problems with the exhaust to date......and as you stated..engine and trans still seem strong..with good MPG.......did all the major services at 95K and will change all the fluids again at 150K.......