Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Routine Care & Maintenance

2»

Comments

• gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    If you pump up the brakes and they won't hold, the pedal goes to the floor, and no leaks, you have a bad master cylinder.
  • sr71sr71 Member Posts: 8
    Chuck: I think there is a lot of Opel Vectra influence in the new 2008s. I read an article about how one of the primary engineers had spent 6 months in Germany working on the new Malibu at Opel.
  • serretiserreti Member Posts: 1
    ... I've read 3 times the posting of gonogo, still can't find it. Any other explanation or picture will be greatly appreciated
  • bestdad4usbestdad4us Member Posts: 8
    Is there a time when parts that typically go out on a vehicle - ie. the water pump, alternator, etc. should be replaced preventively if one doesn't want to break down unexpectedly? We have a 03 Malibu with @ 111,000 miles on it. In every other higher mileage vehicle we've owned, those things have gone out suddenly. I'd really like to avoid that scenerio in the future. Any opinions?
  • babybubabybu Member Posts: 10
    Hey everyone, i own a 1999 malibu, it has a 3.1 L v-6 engine, and ive stumbled upon a supercharger for this engine. is it a good idea to purchase and install this supercharger. keep in mind that its a front-wheel drive, so ive been told the drive terrain will be under enormous stress with such a dramatic power increase. can anyone here help me?

and also, soes anyone know where i might find a custom speedometer cluster for my car?
  • babybubabybu Member Posts: 10
    I'm no mechanic, but if my Mali makes it to 200K miles, (which im making mine a show car) so im willing to go to extreme lengths to keep my car and not sell it. butif mine makes it to 200K i am replacing the entire engine, drive terrain, axels, brakes, and so on. any part that becomes worn over time, i am going to replace. of course, routine oil changes, and not street racing also help extend the life of your vehicle's parts. lol :)
  • jsweazyjsweazy Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 08 4 cyl Malibu with 6,000 miles. The computer says oil life is 50% which would mean an oil change at 12,000. Can I go with that?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the oil life monitor will vary with driving style, and a few other conditions....it doesnt necesarily mean you will be good until 12K.....if you follow the monitor....I have an 04 and have used the monitor since day one.....I usually change oil when it reaches 25%......129K on my car and no problems at all following that change interval....
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    oil life is 50% which would mean an oil change at 12,000.

It doesn't mean that.

A possible and probable scenario: the previous owner changed oil at
    3,000 miles (as is not uncommon) and reset the oil monitor.

Over the next 3,000 miles, coming to your current 6K, the monitor
    "went down" from 100% to 50%. This is consistent with the normal OIC
    of about 6,000 miles.

So, just drive 3,000 miles more and change oil then, at the monitor's
    reading of 0% :-)
  • reesiereesie Member Posts: 1
    hello everybdy i have an 2003 malibu i have owned since 2009 i have 202,000 miles on but i havnt changed the transmission fluid yet, any suggestions when i should? the manual says if not leaking dont worry bout it, but just wants to be on the safe side thanx
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I have an 04 Malibu Maxx with 185K on it...I changed (flushed) the trans fluid at 100K and every 50K since....with the last change being a full pan and filter drop and refill.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    If never changed, they recommend you do nothing. New fluid now will cause problems with loosened sludge.
    Its near overhaul time anyways.
This discussion has been closed.