Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Routine Care & Maintenance

maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
edited October 2014 in Chevrolet
e2helper: this is a repeat question from a couple of months ago. I have changed my oil for 25 years now. When I did the 'Bu at 1000 miles, I could not possibly put in 5 quarts of oil as it says to do on page 5-95 (capacities and specifications). Someone on this forum recently said that the capacity was 4.5, but the manual is clear: 5quarts for the 3.5 liter engine. I put in 4 (maybe a few ounces more) the last time. Any reason you can see for the discrepancy? I always change the filter at the same time, and I let them both drain at the same time so there is no back pressure to hold oil in. It is odd that at the top of page 5-95, it says: "the following APPROXIMATE capacities....." Did the writers of this manual take a stab at the capacities??

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Outside my area of expertise but I have passed question to someone else who might know.
    Ummm.....your owner manual is incorrect. They are shown backwards :(

The 2.2 L4 is 5 quarts and the 3.5L V6 is 4 quarts.
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Ummm.....your owner manual is incorrect. They are shown backwards :(

The 2.2 L4 is 5 quarts and the 3.5L V6 is 4 quarts.

Thanks for clearing that up ! I had to put in 5 quarts to bring my oil up to the level shown on my Ecotec dipstick. It had me worried at the time. Strange that the smaller engine takes more oil. Easiest oil and filter change I've ever done.
    I am definitely passing your message to interested parties, 3745.

Thank you for sharing your "real world" experience on this.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    that truly is a huge blunder. As I said before, there was no way I could put 5 quarts in. I sure hope no other do it yourselfer puts in 5 quarts without checking the stick. It would cause serious engine damage.
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    I drove about 20 miles with 5 quarts in it, then drained out 1/2 quart to bring it to the top of the stick. Did I do any harm?

GM, by the way, is denying that the manual is wrong. Their customer relations guy told me a half quart remains in the engine during an oil change. He called this "residue."
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    The danger with a seriously overfilled oil pan is that the crankshaft whips through the oil turning it into a froth that the oil pump can't move. If draining a half quart out of five brings the level down to maximum you are fine. No worries.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    today, I put in about a half quart more to bring it up to the top of the stick too. That makes 4.5 quarts. So, I therefore agree with GM that half a quart stays in the engine when you do an oil change. GM should change their owner's manual to 4.5 rather than 5 then.
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    Thanks prdm, that's a big relief. I also checked the Car Talk website and Tom and Ray also say that up to one quart overfilled won't hurt anything.

It's sure easy to change the oil on this car! I've been doing my own for 30 years and this is almost as easy as my '66 Buick--just lower ground clearance!
  • bkmccoybkmccoy Member Posts: 2
    Where on earth is the oil stick on a Malibu 2005? :confuse:
  • hgallardohgallardo Member Posts: 3
    Please help me in changing the oil filter on the 2006 malibu LS 2.2L
    thanks
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Sure. You will need, 32mm or 11/4" short socket. I find the 11/4" socket to be a neater fit. Extension for socket.

The Ecotec takes 5qts. The 2004 manual is wrong. I don't know what the 2006 manual says. I buy a 5qt jug of oil and just pour it in. This will bring it up to the correct level. By the way, the Ecotec has the worst dipstick I have ever seen. It's very difficult to see the oil level on it.

The oil filter housing is next to the composite (black) intake manifold on the right hand side. It has a black plastic cover. Using the 32mm socket remove the cover and you will see that the filter cartridge comes out with it. Unclip the cartridge and clip on the new one. Lubricate the small O ring at the bottom of the filter with engine oil. Screw the cover back on. Tighten the cover to NO MORE than 16lb ft. I use a torque wrench.

I have never liked Fram filters but luckily because you can see the construction of the cartridge, I have compared it to an AC Delco and see no difference. Also, this particular Fram is made in the United Kingdom and seems to be of high quality. The Fram that fits the Ecotec is CH9018 and I buy it from Wal-Mart.

Draining the old oil is also easy. Without jacking the car up I reach in from in front of the passenger side front wheel and easily reach the drain plug. Just remember that the oil pan of the Ecotec is aluminum so don't overtighten the drainplug although it has a very long thread and should be pretty robust.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.
  • canam81canam81 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,
    I have a 01 Malibu and I was trying to change my instrument cluster. I have an American car and I live in Canada, so I would like to swap my speedometer to the km/h in larger numbers...because it's hard to see the little numbers underneath. Is this at all possible? I have a friend that works on cars that is going to help me, but he's unsure about a malibu. Thanks for your help.
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx, and my wife drives a 2006 Uplander. Both have the 3.5L V-6. I don't recall what my manual says, but the Uplanders says 4 quarts. BUT EVERYTIME WE GET THE OIL CHANGED THEY PUT IN 4.5 QUARTS ON BOTH CARS at Victory Lane!!! The dip stick comes up perfectly filled at 4.5 quarts.

Dip stick! Try it, you'll like it. LOL... :-)
  • yuryyury Member Posts: 146
    Hi all

I just got a 05 LS with 30000 km on it (about 19000 miles). Everything seems ok, but i did notice that the temp dipslayed on the temp gauge is at the halfway mark. it may go hairline up of down during driving.
    So I was wondering what is normal operating range fro these cars ? On all cars I owned before it stayed a bit below halfway.

Thanks a lot,
    Yury
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    that is normal for the Malibu..at least me 04 Maxx LT...it runs at halfway....slighly below in winter and slightly above during the summer.....at times it will even climb higher....during my stop and go traffic........
  • yuryyury Member Posts: 146
    Ok, thanks, pao.

For these couple of days I have driven the car it seems to be at halfway or hair below in light traffic, and halfway or hair above in stop and go.

What's the engine on Maxx LT, is it the same 3.5 V6 ?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    The fan is programed to come at 230 deg F, so in stop and go traffic it will rise, normal. In summer you will not notice it with A/C on, the fan is on all the time under 40 MPH.
    I have the same engine
  • smee342smee342 Member Posts: 2
    hello all im new here and joined becouse ive seen some great feedback for problems others have had.

ok so my problem is lol i have a 1997 chevy malibu. and my shifter knob gets stuck from time to time. like when i go to start it in the morining i can't get the shifter out of park to move the car. i was told about this when i bought it but didnt think much of it at the time. but now its been 2 days and i cant get it going and am curoius as wat would cause this problem

all comments appriciative
    There is, by law I believe, a requirement that the brake pedal be depressed before an automatic transmission can be shifted out of the Park position. Assuming you are indeed doing that then the problem is most likely in the switch on the brake pedal that senses that movement. Either an adjustment or replacement should be an inexpensive fix. There should also be a manual override in case of said switch failure. You will have to consult the owner's manual for the specific procedure on your car but it usually involves sticking a screwdriver into the nether regions of the center console. Good luck.
  • smee342smee342 Member Posts: 2
  • ibakeribaker Member Posts: 4
    Hello Everyone. I bought my 06 Malibu back in October. It had 27,000 miles on it because it was a program car. Someone told me that I needed new rotors. Can anyone tell me about what mileage is normal on changing rotors?
    do you need rotors...or do they simply need to be turned...are you getting a pulsing in the steering wheel and brake pedal when you brake?....the OEM rotors are notoriously weak and prone to warping if you over torgue the wheels......check that....Im betting you simply need to have them the rotors turned...
    I am getting a pulsing in the brake pedal and it sort of jerks a little. It doesn't come to a smooth stop. They do look pretty thin.
    That's a little early for brake work but certainly in the realm of possibility. Rotors are cheap, brakes are important - change them.
    Yeah I am going to go a head and change them just to be on the safe side. Thanks to everyone that responded. :shades:
  • leshanleshan Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I can not find the dipstick in my 2006 Malibu LT.
    So, How can we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT? Just drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter? If so, How much fluid should we refill?
    Thanks.
    it is a sealed transmission..there isnt a dipstick....you have two services yuo can do..a flush.....or a complete replacement dropping the pan and changing the filter out....owner manual should outline capacities for fluids
  • leshanleshan Member Posts: 2
    Yes. the owner manual just tells the whole capacity for fluid. But if I just drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter. There should be some fluid still in there. How much fluid should I refill?
    dont know..I have my local mechanic do all my work....so cant help you with that unfortunately
    I have a 2006 Malibu LT and before that I had a 2002 Malibu. You have to take the car into the mechanic because there is really no way to "check" it from what I understand. It is suppose to last for a while and the dealership expects you to come in to get it checked. Just another way to get more money out of you! :(
    if you look at the owners manual..it basically states change the fluid every 50k under severe driving habits....IMHO most of us dont match it.....Im having my changed at 100K as part of preventive maintenance as well as plugs and wires and the engine accessory belt changed....plugs and wires are the only recommended service at 100K....my quote out the door for all the services is $470, by my local service center (not a dealership)..which beats all the dealers around northern va....with ranges from $560-$700 for the same service....plus tax and sheop fees
  • ktcktc Member Posts: 30
    To E2helper:

I have a 2005 Maxx and after almost 3 years now it is approaching 30,000 miles. There is no dip-stick to check the transmission oil, so you can not easily check the condition of the transmission oil. Does GM put the long-life transmission fluid in Maxx? Is 30,000 mile about the right time to do a transmission fluid and filter change? I think it will replace 5 Qt out of the 6.9Qt of the fluid. :confuse: If I drive 50% on highway miles, would that put less strain on the transmission fluid? :confuse:
    Has anyone found sport red touch up for the 04 Malibu. Looked every where and none to be found.
    Seeing that E2 is not around I will give my opinion.
    I just did my 04 Malibu at 30K, just before warranty expired. It will take 7.5 qts for pan drop and filter change.
    I am not aware of GM using long life fluid in the Malibu or Maxx, cost too much.
    just a dumb question, how did you add the fluid back in and check it....assume through the drain hole since it is a sealed system...

I had my local mechanic due the same thing..pan drop and filter replace...and he only replaced 4 quarts....your 7.5 replacement now has me concerned Im running it with low trans fluid......
    Here is the procedure I have on a word pad, I see this ? asked a lot. I start with 7.5 Quarts, a small amount will drain out when plug is removed to check. A pan drop and filter change with 4 qts added back is at least 3 qts low. Where you put fluid in is the plastic red cap on top of the transmission. Put the check plug in when it starts to dribble.

IMPORTANT... On the 4T45E in the Malibu and Maxx the fill cap needs to be off to check fluid level, the cap is not the same as the older 4T45E units.

Fluid check procedure

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. Caution The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
    Remove the transmission plug.

The transmission fluid may darken with normal use and does not always indicate contamination or oxidation.
    Transmission fluid (At least 104°F) 5-10 minutes at idle will give correct temp.

Does the fluid have a burnt odor or a dark brown color?Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.Is the fluid level low?
    Add DEXRON® III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5L until the fluid drains from the plug hole.
    Install plug before stopping engine or fluid will spill out of plug hole.

Pan drop and filter change 7.5 qts
    Check plug is just to the right of the passenger side axle housing , 11 mm plug, can't miss it, only one there.
    Hoist is optional, just needs to be level and plug accessible.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Great write-up! You might consider adding it to our CarSpace Guides section where it will benefit many folks now and in the future.
    You can do it if you want.
  • mickymicky Member Posts: 2
    I have driven my Malibu 2006 15,000 miles. I did change the oil each 3000 miles/3 months. Do I need to put my car in dealer for comprehensive maintenance?
    look at what the scheduled maintenance schedule is in the owners manual....most are simply oil changes and inspections at regular intervals..the first major maintenance isnt until 100K......nothing but oil and filter changes on my 04 Maxx.....and 104k on it now.....
  • chuckr1chuckr1 Member Posts: 2
    Wow, did the build quality on the Malibu go up? I had a 2000 Malibu but got rid of it in 2005 because it was falling apart. Around 110,000 miles the head gasket went. It took the dealer three attempts to fix it properly. I also had to replace a front strut and muffler. When I sold the car and bought my 2005 camry I was aware it needed one new spring and the other front strut.

So far comparing two years of owning the camry to the malibu, i've had 1 warranty claim on the camry vs 3 on the malibu and the malibu had a brake change in at 29,000 miles and the camry's brakes are still at 75%
    you cant compare the 03 and before malibus with the 04 and beyond....different chassis..and major components...different engine etc i do beleive......but as mentioned...no problems at all with my 04..and getting ready to roll over 109K....still going strong....32 MPG on my last road trip the past weekend VA to SC and return....

first brake change at 64K..and about due for another one now...other than than...100k service....fluids, belts, plugs, wires, tires, battery, oil and wipers is all I had to do to mine....
  • pavel6pavel6 Member Posts: 8
    would rim run-off affect the longevity of the bearings??? the shop can't balance them 100% because of run-off
    how can you check if the master cylinder is or isn't defective???????
  • 25tango25tango Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2008 Malibu 2.4L with a 4 speed AT. There are no shop manuals available yet on gen. maint. etc. and probably won't be out by the time the trans fluid needs a change. I have been poking around under the hood, but it is not apparent where to check the trans fluid and locate the filter.
    Any info would be helpful.
    TIA
    Will be the same as the 04, 4T45E.
    if it is the same as the 04 as gonogo suggests...it is a completely sealed system..and you have to drop the pan to change the filter....there is no dip stick..you have to lift the car and remove the plug in order to check the level. 04 owners manual doesnt call for a trans fluid change until 100K...dont know about the 08 manual....
This discussion has been closed.