Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The fools feed your family...and mine.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I had to toss something in to rev up everyone...haha
  • tbaytbay Member Posts: 22
    But some makes are on the ball from the word go and others still have not sorted out problems several years into a production run
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Sorry to see you had some problems.
    What you described is not anything like what others have described. This would lead me to believe the cause for your failure is different than the 'stalling issue' that has been reported here.

Main differences are:
    -no such symptom in the first 50k miles. Most folks see the problem much earlier in the vehicles life.
    -that many occurances that quickly in a row.
    -not related to going down hill
    -most folks can correlate the stall to the same stretch of road.

What did the dealership replace? Do you know if there any codes generated and stored in the computer? (when the 'stalling issue' occurs, one symptom is that there are no codes stored).
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    I just got my 2002 Tribute ES this week. The 0% financing helped my decision.

I find I'm having trouble getting comfortable in the leather seat. The seat is OK, it is the back that is bothering me, the upper portion. Has anyone else experienced a break-in period with these seats? I bought a bottle of Lexol Leather Conditioner and applied it, it seems to have helped. I will apply it a few more times to see if it makes the leather softer.

We have a Volvo S60, and the leather in that is much more soft and supple. I know, it also costs $10k more than the Tribute.

Norm
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    NORMKOL,
    Don't forget, the back of the drivers seat has an adjustable lumbar support. Have you tried to adjust same?
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    Yes, I adjusted that. That seems to adjust the bottom of the seatback. My problem has been the upper portion.

I'm getting used to it. Actually, I get back pain, and I think these seats are probably going to be good for my back in the long run.

Thanks.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Audia8q - Points well taken. However, how is any of that different from the other vehicles on the market?

Are happy Ford/Mazda customers somehow quieter than happy customers for other makes?

Is there a vehicle out there that has not had first year issues?

Is there a forum on these boards that does not have participants from other makes/models?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is there a forum on these boards that does not have participants from other makes/ models?

Probably not but prospective owners coming from other brands are encouraged to join the discussion.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We can mention to Karen that there's interest in a Tribute and/or Escape Owner's Club....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • howards2howards2 Member Posts: 11
    Im picking up my new Escape on Tuesday. I noted here today that there is this potential stalling problem. I also did read the TSB posted here (THANK YOU!!!) and saw that for vehicles created after Jan 16, 02 there were two parts apparently replaced. Has anyone had experience with V6 Escapes created after Jan 16, 02? stalling problems? PLEASE do let me know. If the problems persist I guess I'll get the extended warranty!
  • howards2howards2 Member Posts: 11
    In checking out the NHTSA website and looking thru the consumer complaints about Escape engine stalling, I only find six. There must be a hundred or more complaints on this board alone - how come NHTSA is listing so few? Do they post all they receive?
    Im confused - Ford not only discounts this problem but says what little problem there was, has now been fixed. Im supposed to pick up my 02 tomorrow. Any info greatly appreciated!!!
  • myfordlemonmyfordlemon Member Posts: 3
    I would first like to thank baggs32 for providing me with information on TSB (02-11-06) in regards to the stalling issue on the 2002 Ford Escapes. I am a first time Ford buyer and have had 2-2002 Ford Escapes in 30 days with the same stalling issue. I contacted Ford customer service and they in turn contacted the Dealer who was informed that they should perform this TSB since my current car was stalling at around 40 mph, deceleration, and RPMs hitting the 0 pin. After they performed the entire TSB and replaced a few defective parts, I am happy to say that my Escape has not stalled in 10 days!!! I hope that anyone out there with this problem, has the TSB performed. It has made a difference! The car idles a whole lot better too.

Ahhh..do I see a silver lining in my grey cloud? It appears to be true..thanks baggs32 for giving us all an opportunity to be "informed consumers".

I did file a complaint with NHSTA, prior to my last trip to the dealer's service department, and have not been able to find my complaint on their website. Perhaps their database has not been updated. I have not been contacted by them either. So, I'm not sure what is going on with their online database.
  • kirkland3kirkland3 Member Posts: 2
    Bess-
    Sorry I didn't give you all of the details, but it does appear that mine occurred when on an incline. I can't call it a hill, because we don't really have many here.
    The only thing I can tell you is that they replaced some sort of valve that they said was "defective".
    I absolutely love my Tribute, but I also believe in consumer awareness and think I should have been told there was a possibility they knew what was going on. Instead they made me feel like an idiot when I called and then only looked into the problem because it died in their driveway...also an incline=-). They did mention that because a certain light didn't come on that they could not trace the problem or something (all of it was foreign to me). Sorry I didn't memorize more of the details...like I said, I just happened upon this discussion or I might have been able to determine the problem myself.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    myfordlemon,
    No problem. I just hope that this is the one that puts an end to all this stalling hubub.

Three weeks and I still can't get the tach needle to drop below 500-550. Our only stall occurred about three weeks after we signed on the dotted line (early Feb.). Therefore any computer reset that may have happened during the service did not cause this latest "stall-free" period.

I also calculated 23.4 mpg on our 310 mile trip that was taken over the weekend of the 4th. All with the A/C and cruise on. Call me crazy, but I think this PCM flash has helped with the gas mileage too.
  • acupunkacupunk Member Posts: 3
    My Wife owns a 2001 Tribute ES. While cleaning it today she noticed cracks in the leather on the backs seats.From the beginning I felt the the leather Quality was low grade as compared to my Durango....Any one else have any problems like this?It also has the stalling problems when going down hills and problems with the a/c coming out the defrost vents when excellerating instead of the dash vents....Any help would be appretiated....ACUPUNK
  • snowcricketsnowcricket Member Posts: 2
    The left rear wheel freezes on my Escape when it sits for about 4 days. No amount of rocking or anything else will make that 4th wheel turn. I have to have it towed in. Since they can't find out what causes it (brakes were recently replaced too)... then there's nothing "wrong" with it... and nothing that needs to be replaced. I've had it a year... 13,000 miles and I'm already replacing parts.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    thanks for the update.. I still belive your symptom was very different from what others report as the 'stalling problem'. (other folks seem to commonly mention, down hill, around 40mph, very rare occurance).

I'm not denying that you had a problem. But I'm sortof defending the tech's, as if you described the problem to them, as you did here, it does sound different from anything I've seen posted here.

So, I think in your case, I think it would have been 'worse' for them to jump to conclusions and assume your problem is the same as someone elses. This would have given you a false sense of relief, only to have them later say 'oh, your problem was different'.
    Then you'd think that they wern't interested in your problem, and only interested in getting you out of the shop regardless of whether YOUR problem was fixed.

Instead, I think they did the right thing and determined the problem YOU were having and corrected it.

One thing about Ford service departments is that often the 'service writers' are not technical, it is the mechanics that do the diag's and actual fixes. I'm still split whether I like this or not..
    Sometimes think I'd feel more comfortable with the straight talking mechanic, rather than the service writers who are trained to tell you what you want to hear.
    Just came back from the dealer(no service dept.) They had my wife's 2001 es all day.I took the tech out this morning to show him how at 3ooo rpm's the a/c shuts off on dash vents and starts coming out the defrost vents and swiches again when you drop to 2000 rpm's..He asks for the owner's manual...that's when I knew I was in trouble...I also told him of the stalling problem at 40mph on deceleration.Needless to say the service manager told me that the tech. took a new one out and it did the same thing....I went into the showroom and took a new one out ....No problem...A/c was fine.....at 4ooo rpm's. Sevice manager was not suprised...Tech maybe tomorrow morning....Obviously there is a vacuum leak but what about this stalling thing.....HELP......I have no problem putting it in neutral at 40 mph and starting it again....but it's my wife's suv...and I don't want to break a new one in after 20 years
    acupunk,
    If you read back several posts (about a month or two's worth) you will find a TSB for the stalling problem. I don't think the Mazda techs will accept the Ford TSB, so make sure you have the Mazda TSB for it (one is posted for each). I think they list the number of the document in the post. Any Mazda service dept. should be able to find the TSB without any problem if you show them the number.

The Mazda TSB is essentially the same as the Ford TSB. Both involve inspection of specific parts and a PCM flash. The PCM flash is the big one. Make sure they do that one no matter what.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks Baggs32
  • midniteescapemidniteescape Member Posts: 2
    snowcricket,

Have they checked the e-brake cable?

The Probe/MX6 and the Contour/Cougar suffer from wheel lockup due to the e-brake cable freezing. This will happen even if you regularly use the e-brake. I know becase I just had that same problem. The mention of the previous cars was simply because the heritage of the Escape.
  • greytribgreytrib Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I very much appreciate this forum and it's readership.

I have a new '02 Tribute ES with the seemingly all too well documented short fuel interval (reminds me of my days driving a 68 Camaro). Anyway, having "just" filled up, I'll be minding my own business and the dang low fuel light will sneak up on me. I'm finally developing the habit to ALWAYS check the gas gauge every time I drive it (and I affixed a small post-it note to remind my wife). I know that sounds academic, however, I not used to always being worried about where the next gas station is.

Anyway, you guys are pretty smart "out there". Does anyone know how I can add an audible tone (chime, buzzer, anything)in low fuel light circuit (or has anyone already done something like this). My much maligned low end 95 Dodge Caravan has this feature (in addition to automatic door locks once under way 5mph) and I never knew how much I took it for granted until now. I.e. don't worry about it until the warning tone, then start looking.

Is there a pin out or something somewhere where a small buzzer (or relay for same) can be tied in. Anything. I'm grasping at straws here.

I look forward to your response.
    greytrib,
    I'm not into modifications myself, so I can't help you out there. However, other Escape/Tribute forums have many members who modify their vehicles on what seems like a weekly basis. You may have some better luck asking the same question on one of those sites. Keep checking here too though. Someone around here may know. Try Escape Central for starters. Sorry, but I can't give you the link.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    don't mention Es... Ce.... I got in trouble for this!
    Grey, visit other Escape chats around the net, there are quiet a few. I'm sure there is a way to install a chime into this circuit. It all depends on how much $$ you want to spend..
    scape,
    We are only discouraged from posting the actual links I believe. I've mentioned that site a few times before without giving the link and never got in trouble.

Steve, Tidester, can we get a ruling? I don't want to cause any problems.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    That may fall into the 'don't ask, don't tell' category.

Let sleeping hosts lie, say I.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Steve, Tidester, can we get a ruling?

This is what the Town Hall Terms of Use says on the matter:

You agree to not promote other auto forums that provide message boards or chats.

Of course, the operative word here is promote and it often comes down to a judgement call to decide what constitutes promotion. At one end of the spectrum, there's the "this board is the pits - go and join the chat at site wxyz," which is clearly a violation. At the other end, we have the "there was a post on the rstu boards that gives the definitive answer the issue we are discussing here," which is informational and augments the discussion here.

In between - well, yes, it does get gray!

I hope that helps.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories

Good enough. Thanks.
  • chimpancychimpancy Member Posts: 1
    I've had the Ford Escape XLT for probably 5 months now..and my cd is stuck in the 6 cd changer. It won't load, or eject, or even play. It will only play the radio. Does anyone know the trick to this?? Thanks..
  • steven998steven998 Member Posts: 1
    I was going to buy a tribute knowing that they had a stalling problem in the past. I test drove the car I was thinking of buying. It pulled to the left while driving and when I was coming to a stop after driving for 10 minutes it stalled, ebgine light came one and wheel froze. I couldn't beleive this problem still exists. Built date was 5/02. I walked away will not buy a tribute now. too bad I really liked the design and power
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Yeah. The trick is spelled w-a-r-r-a-n-t-y.

Meade
  • nandlmdnandlmd Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a 2002 Escape XLT 4WD, but what do I need to ask the dealer to make sure that they have fixed the stalling problem? My wife will be using it to commute to work, and I want to make sure that they've done all they can to resolve the problem! Thanks for any advice (or any explanations what the TSBs mean in layman's English).
    I have owned a 2001 Escape for over a year now and have almost 13K miles on it with not one stall or problem. This stalling issue has gotten blown way out of proportion. Edmunds seems to be the only place where you see multiple posts about stalling issues. Please visit other chat rooms around the net and you will see, there are many, many happy Escape/Trib owners that have never had a stall. If you really like the Escape/Trib, buy a warranty.
    There is a TSB about this issue, its a few hundred posts back or so... Good luck..
    "This stalling issue has gotten blown way out of proportion. Edmunds seems to be the only place where you see multiple posts about stalling issues." -scape2

Translated, this means stalling is not really a problem, because it hasn't happened to scape2.
    He seems to think that someone is coming onto edmunds under different log-in names and making trouble for Ford. So he blows off any stalling posts here.

Of course, that doesn't explain the TSB from Ford.

Maybe the TSB is a permanent fix for the older Escapes, and the newer ones are stall-free right out of the box. Let's hope so.
  • nandlmdnandlmd Member Posts: 4
    Can someone give me the link for the TSB? I found one for the Tribute, but I didn't see one for the Escape? Is there another link to it? If I walk into the dealership with this are they going to look at me like I have two heads?

And does the stalling thing only happen with an automatic or manual transmission?
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    "If you really like the Escape/Trib, buy a warranty."

WHAT? You mean Ford has stopped offering factory warranties on their cars?
    OR do you mean Ford is requiring its owners to purchase an extended warranty because it cannot fix its problems while under factory warranty?

Just what do you mean, scape????

Oh my, lions, tigers and bears, oh my, lions, tigers and bears, oh my, lions, tigers and bears, oh my
    nandlmd,
    The stalling only happens in the V6/Automatic equpped Escapes and Tributes (same engine and tranny in both). Ours is a 2002 that was built and bought in January. It stalled once in February, we had the TSB performed at the end of June and, to make a long story short, it seems they have the problem solved.

I do not know if they have implemented the PCM flash into the newer Escapes, but the full TSB can be found in posts 1492 through 1495. 02-11-06 from post 1495 is the one you want. It is essentially the same as the other one, just a little newer with a few technical updates for the service techs so you might have to tell them the number. They definitely should be able to find it without any problem. Read on from there if you want to learn a little more.
    I now know 2 other people with Escapes and another that owns a Tribute. None of those people have had stalls either. And there are people who do loggon with different screen names here at Edmunds. If you would take the time and visit other chat rooms/Escape clubs you will see for youself the percentage of people with the stalling issue is very, very low.
    I don't doubt your postings that there are 'thousands upon thousands' of happy Escape owners. I think there have been hundreds of thousands of the Escapes/Tributes sold.

I wonder how many have had the stalling problem.
    Hundreds upon hundreds? More? Less?
    You or I don't have access to the info.
    What did you mean by telling a poster to buy a warranty for the Escape/Tribute?

As for amount of stalling problems - just based on the number of people in this one forum that have reported this AND based on the fact that Ford has issued a TSB indicates to me that the number of stalled Escapes/Tributes is in the hundreds, if not thousands. If this is a rarity like scape wants people to believe, Ford would not have issued a TSB. Lets hope Ford gets this resolved, so new owners will not be stuck with large repair costs after the factory warranty is up. Or just take scape's advice and buy an extended warranty, hoping that will cover this situation.

Oh my ...
    It only takes one occurance of a problem for a TSB to be issued. That way if it happens again somewhere else, it can be fixed very easily.

No this stalling problem probably isn't as widespread as some people may think, but it is a strange one to say the least and I 99.9% believe that the latest TSB fixes it if you do experience it yourself.

You might notice that muckyduck does not own an Escape/Tribute and that he hails from Texas. It seems that the excessive heat down there makes him want to talk about things he knows nothing about.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    It doesn't take hundreds of problems to get any manufacturer to put out a TSB, they all have engineers that look for recurring issues like this. It can be as few a 10-20 instances to generate one, especially if a potential safety issue is involved. I don't know if that is the case here, and I have no clue how many Escspes or Tributes have this problem, just giving an insider's insight to the process.
    I doubt any car company would issue a TSB on just one occurance. Texas heat - well, it is hot here, but 2 years ago, a Ford salesman told me not to consider buying an Escape for at least two years. Gee, the early models even had the steering wheel come off - its not like Ford has never built a car before (a paraphased quote from Edmunds).

Them lions, tigers and bears are lurking everywhere!
    Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas!
    It must be really really hot down there today!
    Steering wheels a'flying, engines a'stalling,
    whats next, take my escape and give me a brew ...

Sounds like a C&W song to me!!
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Granted, there was a problem with 1500 early production Escapes and Tributes having the steering wheel retaining nut installed incorrectly, but Toyota recalled over 200,000 Camrys with the same problem in 1997 that spanned over 5 model years. Recalls happen to every manufacturer, and none of them started building cars yesterday.
    OH NO - you don't mean Toyota has problems. OH NO - whats next?

The cow and spoon divorced, the three little pigs ate the wolf and the 7 drawfs were found to be cooking the books in their highly successful business of making poison apples.
    Don't waste your finger strength to type explanations for mucky's benefit. All of that has been explained to him several times on other boards but he just keeps finding new places to bash the Escape.

He is entitled to his opinion, no matter how little value it now holds with a lot of folks around these forums.

I think he really drives a late 80's Chevy pickup.